Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Who Is going to be the next US President?
 saintelsewhere
Msg: 303 (view)

Who Is going to be the next US President?
Posted: 5/16/2007 3:53:39 AM
Wow, it really seems like that 27 percent that still support Bush is pretty vocal. The 23 percent that changed their mind about him over the past four years (or as I like to say, "flipflopped") don't talk much about it do they? But that 27 percent will believe anything the Reps say, still believe Bush talks to God, still think Iraq was the reason for 9/11 (It's somewhere in the middle-east right? And we needed to attack SOMEONE.) How little self-awareness can you have to still support Bush? Most intelligent conservatives jumped ship a while ago. But there's still that 27 percent, the ones who watch Fox News (O'Reilly is a GD worm) and read the Spectator (I read it to laugh at the poor reasoning. for instance, they acknowledge global warming, but say that it's because the sun is heating up)
 saintelsewhere
Msg: 6 (view)

Big Star
Posted: 4/30/2007 2:08:52 PM
I love Big Star. Alex Chilton is my biggest influence as a songwriter. I still cover Chilton and Big Star. If you're interested this is my solo myspace page with a revolving cycle of demos--
www.myspace.com/iamaraincloud
Chris Bell's solo album "I am the Cosmos" is really cool too.
Sister Lovers is one of my top five albums, up there with Exile on Mainstreet, Underwater Moonlight, Revolver, and Zen Arcade.
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 658 (view)

can non-pot smokers handle pot smokers?
Posted: 4/6/2007 2:23:21 AM
I don't believe that drugs are a portal to some mystical plane, or a magical medicine or any other kind of hippy BS. I do believe in individual rights. The government is not my parent, and neither are you. People have the right to **** up their lives in any variety of ways, whether that includes drugs or not is irrelevant. And yes, there is a huge difference between marijuana and shit like crystal meth. Lumping the two together is ignorant and does more harm than good. Conservatives make a huge deal about individual rights, but when it comes right down to it they only support one kind of freedom, their kind of freedom, which isn't much of a freedom at all now is it?
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 53 (view)

Bob Dylan...
Posted: 3/31/2007 7:17:25 PM
Being in and out of tune is, too a small degree subjective. One man's vibrato is another's quaver. Gram was off sometimes like lots of singers, sure. But some of what you're talking about are those little micro tonal ornaments bending into notes, which are really important to country and blues. I hear similiar things in appalachian music. I agree about hickory wind though, def not my favorite gram song. And there are some out of tune harmonies on some of his recordings and sour notes. He still has brilliant moments.

While we're on the topic of folk/poets/auteurs, how about Leonard Cohen, Scott Walker, Townes Van Zandt, and if anyone's heard of them, Alex Chilton and Daniel Johnston?

I found Cohen unlistenable until I got sucked into Songs from a Room. Townes is great, but so many of the arrangements are sub-par. I'm just now getting into Scott Walker's early and middle stuff. And I'm a long time disciple of Alex Chilton and Daniel Johnston.
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 51 (view)

Bob Dylan...
Posted: 3/30/2007 12:01:58 AM
Dylan is a brilliant songwriter, guitar player and singer. He had a knack for making his guitar playing seem more natural than it really is, which some people confuse with amatuerishness. The same with his singing. Dylan tapped into the deep well of American folk music and learned all about phrasing, pushing and pulling the beat, microtonal phrasing, and so many other techniques that just don't have a name in the classical music lexicon.

Other people have a knack for making their music more difficult sounding than it really is which impresses the shallow. Because Dylan's brilliance can't be analyzed he's often looked down on by fools. I'm sure he doesn't mind.

"Something is happening and you don't know what it is--- do you?" Ballad of a Thin Man
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 69 (view)

Is it me, or does radio suck these days?
Posted: 3/29/2007 4:43:14 PM
One word: PAYOLA
Look it up on Wikipedia.

It's technically illegal, but it's still happening. It seems that the only times and places that really great music has been played has been when it's NOT a huge money maker. For example, the rock and roll explosion happened when music was a boutique industry. The blues happened in the fields and in the clubs. Jazz happened on the underside of city life. Hip-hop as well. The punk explosion was, and still exists, as DIY movement. Occasionally something comes along that blows everything out of the water (Tin Pan Alley,Elvis,The Beatles,The Sex Pistols, Nirvana) and is popular at the same time, leaving the industry scrambling like the bunch of fools they are. While they're scrambling good music slips in through the cracks.

It's been said before that the industry hated The Beatles because they made it ok for the performers to write their own songs, thus taking away the publishing wing, and giving them less control over artists. As far as business is concerned, dealing with "artists" is a hassle. The ideal for a record company is to have performers who are EMPLOYEES. Pop radio is dominated by performers who play other people's songs because it is a good short term business strategy for companies with a huge media share (IE they control what, where, and who gets played). In short, monopoly encourages mediocrity as a succesful business strategy.

I hope the internet revolution makes it impossible for record companies to make money. Then each musician is self employed. Record shops become boutique where they do exist. Of course if the internet is deregulated as happened to radio, then you'll have large companies buying up huge portions of media share, and the same problems.

You heard it hear folks, piracy is good for art! YAAAr maties!
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 150 (view)

What makes a good musician?
Posted: 3/28/2007 8:47:17 PM
Doing what's best for the song. Not much needs to be said than that. Though I have to disagree with the "unselfish" statement. Nietsczhe makes a really good point about artists in On the Geneaology of Morality (and again in other books), that artists are, in a very important and often unacknowledged sense, the most selfish human beings imaginable. I won't go too far into this, but the gist is basically that the art is an extension of the artist, and if the artist does everything for their art then they are basically selfish (which isn't at all a bad thing according to Nietschze). Also, the artist by creating and showing his art can be seen as imposing (a heavy word, I know) his viewpoint on the audience.

I'd also like to add that nearly every artist I've ever met has manifested incredibly selfish behavior, often while espousing a philosophy of love and understanding or communalism. I suppose anyone who's dated an artist would recognize what I'm talking about, the passive agressive head games etc.
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 247 (view)

Who Is going to be the next US President?
Posted: 3/23/2007 3:54:00 PM
I'd like to see an Obama vs McCain ticket. I think Obama has the kind of gravitas and bearing that can save the democratic party, which is in tatters. Clinton will lose if she runs in the national. She's the same kind of democrat that has lost the election for us the past two times. Except without the charm. People just love to hate her.

When McCain runs, we democrats can call up our own version of the swift boat campaign and use his war record against him. You know, take a page out of the Karl Rove handbook and turn a war hero into a traitor. If only one our democratic candidates was a coke sniffing good old boy who dodged serving in the National Guard, then we'd really have something to work with.
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 21 (view)

What is the best benefit of a relationship?
Posted: 3/23/2007 3:24:00 PM
Being in a relationship means never having to say you're sorry.
Wait. Scratch that. That sucks.
Being in a relationship means never having to wear a condom.
Heh heh. Definitely the best part of being in a relationship.
That's what girls mean when they say intimacy? Right?
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 604 (view)

Posted: 3/23/2007 3:12:44 PM
Can Non-Mcdonalds eaters handle Mcdonalds eaters?

It's funny a thing, getting a lecture on health and morality from someone carrying around an extra 20 pounds of bacon grease and fryer oil. Fastfood makes you slow and stupid too.

To no one in particular:

I'm not a smoker, but I will defend people's rights to do what they want with their own bodies and selves. To me, this is part of what it means to have freedom, my interpretation of the bill of rights and the US constitution-- You have the right to be wrong. You have the right to say any damn fool thing you want about pot smokers. You have the right try and convince people not to smoke pot. But using the law to enforce your own cowardly, weakwilled, and childish moral convictions is going too far.

Your worldview makes me laugh. Your idea of God makes me laugh. The only thing you aspire to is to be safe and unafraid and in the middle. But everything makes you afraid.
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 548 (view)

Posted: 3/14/2007 11:36:24 AM
Shakespeare smoked marijuana. So did Carl Sagan. So did Jack Kerouac and Ernest Hemingway. I think they strung a few words together. Let's not even get into the writers who were on heroin. Or alcohol.

I think Bush was more into binge drinking and cocaine. Now those are some all-american vices!

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. Smokers and non-smokers together. In my experience one person pulls the other person into it. I started smoking because my first live in girlfriend did. When we split, I quit. It's hard to just sit and watch when you live together.
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 33 (view)

Is it my imagination or are women getting better at cheating on their partner than men...
Posted: 3/12/2007 12:47:25 AM
According to Soren Kierkegaard, "Boredom is the root of all evil."

God was bored and created Adam. Adam was bored so he had God create Eve. They were bored together and they ate the apple. Then they were bored and had children who went on to spread boredom by geometric progression.

People have a compulsion to mess things up, to muddy the water, no matter how good they have it.
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 27 (view)

Is it my imagination or are women getting better at cheating on their partner than men...
Posted: 3/10/2007 8:38:39 PM
"Lying is the most fun a girl can have with her clothes on." Natalie Portman in Closer
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 533 (view)

Posted: 3/10/2007 8:34:16 PM
This is all about cultural warfare. It's ok for desperate housewives to abuse their valium prescriptions because they're upper middle-class, but those damn beatniks and black folk with their mary-jane are ruining this country. Read some history. You can find anti-drug movies on youtube and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Many conservatives expect the government to act as a parental figure and enforce their morality as law. This is the opposite of what America stands for.
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 10 (view)

Have we just run out of ideas for music?
Posted: 3/9/2007 12:02:35 AM
This is such a tired line and so ignorant and untrue. Good music never goes away, but there are times when it doesn't make it on the radio. I won't go too far into why commercial radio sucks. Look up the term payola on wikipedia sometime.

Try finding a nearby college station. They are always looking for new stuff. Pirate radio stations exist as well. Some play theme blocks, and most let the dj's pick the music. This is essential. Pick up a Mojo music magazine sometime. They have a great deal of respect for the past and have an ear out for good new stuff, and it comes with a cd.

How about The Flaming Lips? The band has been making brilliant albums for 12 years. Their lyrics and musical depth, penchant for drama, and visual flair remind me of Barret-era Pink Floyd in a completely non derivative way.

Odd how the same people who say we've run out of ideas are often the same people who are most resistant to change. (Those damn kids, with their hiphop and punk music! Those damn beatniks! Those damn hippies!) Sounds like you want the late 60's and 70's back. Well, with all those digitally remastered albums out there you can come close. There's tons of concert footage and outtakes available nowadays. All the Mott the Hoople and Mountain you can stand. Maybe this is just nostalgia fueled resentment? With all due respect, maybe you're just not with it anymore? Trust me, the music is out there. It's you who's changed. (Or not changed...)

There are tons of genre's. Another example of blending punk and country might be alt-country, for what it owes to the punk ethos. Cowpunk, hardcore twang, alt country, anti-folk, nu-folk etc... Whatever.
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 23 (view)

Posted: 3/8/2007 5:48:43 PM
This whole "guys do this and girls do that" type of thinking bores me. Statistically men cheat more, but not by that much. Individuals cheat, not sexes. If you think "guys are ***holes" or "women are cheaters", perhaps you should ask why you are attracted to ***holes and cheaters.

Sexual strategies for homo sapiens aside...
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 132 (view)

Posted: 3/8/2007 2:41:26 AM
I think the reason Neil Young says he isn't a musician or a singer is solely to avoid conversations like this...

Can't sing? He's one of my favorite singers. His tone may be a matter of taste, but you can't really argue that he isn't hitting the notes... I would call that the bare minimum for considering someone a singer.

I have to be honest here and say that trained vocalists generally bore me to tears. Their phrasing is often over elaborate and cliched. My favorite singers are the untutored, folk and country and blues singers, punk and rock. When I hear a great folk singer I'm listening for all the microtonal stuff they do to make their words come to life. Maybe it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but to say that this doesn't take skill is pretty silly...
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 523 (view)

Posted: 2/28/2007 1:59:33 AM
B. Franklin "Grow the hemp plant everywhere."

Villifying pot was solely down in order to villify the counterculture.

Question: Would the Mardi Gras riots have happened if everyone was stoned instead of drunk?
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 142 (view)

Are virgins more attractive?
Posted: 2/19/2007 4:38:23 PM
I knew a guy who used to say he liked taking girls' virginity "because then they would always remember him." He wasn't the kind of guy you would consider intelligent or sensitive... at least he was honest I suppose.
It was a small town; I'd say he deflowered about 10 percent of the population. Long story short, the guy kept getting older and the girls he was ****ing stayed about the same age, about 14 or 15. Since he was a drunken wastoid loser he didn't change alot himself over the years. He's been picked up a few times for statutory rape, but they haven't made anything stick yet.

Is innocence and purity appealing? Well Britney Spears sure sold a lot of albums in that schoolgirl outfit. The US entertainment factory runs on virgin A$$. Sex has become a major weapon for making men and women insecure enough to buy product. But it's all in good fun, right? Except for the extreme sexual neurosis. Perhaps it's just the release of all that Protestant tension. Just a little light on that good old southern darkness. Who knows?

We clearly **** each other up consistently when it comes to sex.
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 14 (view)

Do women like being ignored?
Posted: 2/15/2007 2:00:55 PM
Adults do nothing BUT play games. LOL. Especially when they say they don't.

I agree with the earlier post about not coming on too strong. Mystery is a powerful thing.
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 15 (view)

Tom Petty
Posted: 2/9/2007 8:20:41 PM
I like him a lot.

He gets repetitive sometimes, but so does anyone who's written that many songs. His voice is annoying, but in that good way.

Did anyone hear that the Strokes say they based Last Night on American Girl. If you sit and compare the two you can totally hear it.

Petty toured with The Replacements, my all time favs, and 'borrowed' the line "rebel without a clue" from Paul Westerberg.
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 9 (view)

Is Do you do drugs too broad of a question?
Posted: 2/9/2007 8:04:10 PM
You haven't spent much time in the world if you think drug users are a minority. Ever seen the statistics on how many people smoke pot? Look 'em up someday.

You're surrounded!

Non-drug users are in the minority. Most people will at least try pot once in their life.

No namecalling please. If I wasn't stoned right now (on over the counter cough syrup and Night Train of course) that would have hurt my feelings.
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 8 (view)

Posted: 2/9/2007 10:22:56 AM
How many times have I seen someone answer no to "do you do drugs," only to suggest lighting up a joint for their suggestions for a first date? Funny stuff. If they were really trying to lie with malice and aforethought they would not contradict themselves so quickly. Whether you agree with their reasoning or not, I think it's clear that MANY people don't consider pot a drug, in the same way many people don't consider caffeine or nicotine a drug. How is POF to respond to this practice? I have no idea. For the straight-edge searching now, just be aware that this attitude is widespread, and be aware that their are reasonable arguments to support this view.

How about asking people if they really, really, really, don't ever, ever, ever, do any kind of illegal drugs at all, ever? Maybe that'll work dancing queen...

Naw, I'd still stick to no comment.
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 111 (view)

Posted: 2/8/2007 6:09:38 PM
First a brief note to musicmaker: I like what you have to say and I don't think we have any kind of disagreement in spirit. Besides being a musician I'm a bit of a talker so I may quibble over words, but I have no disrespect for anyone who's out there "doing it." For rock players, our working knowledge is a little different, but there's nothing wrong with difference. Respect the exception so long as it does not seek to become the rule.

in regard to earlier comments

I am not a "punk" musician by any means. I respect the kind of musicians you have described, but I disagree that your examples should stand as the be all of what a good musician is. And how much time have I spent with session players? Enough for me. I roomed with an established bass player and teacher in his loft for six months, went to after parties with classical musicians and large and small jazz ensembles, have played with classically trained string players and jazz musicians. What they do is not for me. It may not be dishonest for them to do it, but it would be for me. I guess I'm a stylist.

Music teachers have a tendency to mystify and bludgeon people with jargon. They have a tendency to repackage the same information ad infinitum. Make's em money. My philosophizing is an attempt, and a valid one, at shortcircuiting this. And there's nothing there more esoteric above than what's come before. My point is: don't get caught up in words; words are tools. Ideas are tools.

Suggesting that I don't know what I'm talking about because I'm young makes only slightly more sense than me suggesting you don't know what you're talking about because you're old. Passions dim, compromises are made... Someday I'll get there I'm sure. For now I'm one of the young ones making the new world while you folks critique.

I don't have a problem with making little money from playing music, because I love doing what I do on my own terms. I had to give up starting a family, getting three squares, and continuing with my scholastic education, in order to do this. I get to play what I want when I want and it is worth it. Anyone suggesting that what I do is in ANY way less valid is wrong. And this is the source of my discontent with the above statements. I feel genuinely sorry for those who only half commit to an artistic life in order to afford their Honda Prius. The things they must tell themselves at night...

A good musician must be a good ARTIST. That's my thesis, pure and simple. We don't rate a painter by how well he can blend in. We don't rate a poet primarily on his knowledge of other poets. We ask about what they bring to the table that's new and whole and true. The making money=good musician equation? Bullshit. Dale is a 'stylist' rather than a musician? Bullshit.

Being open to other views is part of part of the artistic consciousness. But so is egoism.

On a side note, my current favorite guitarist is Nels Cline, an absolutely brilliant session player who also makes his own albums. The guy's been around and has done everything from performing Coltrane and Davis compositions on prepared guitars, free jazz albums, session work with some of my favorite singer-songwriters, and touring with indie rock band Wilco.
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 7 (view)

Posted: 2/8/2007 11:33:09 AM
Personally, the question is too broad. Pot is legal in some places and will become increasingly more legal as time goes on. Nicotine, caffeine, and Xanax are drugs. Can anyone here seriously say that pill-popping desperate housewives are morally superior to someone who smokes pot once a month?

I really think that "prefer not to answer" is the best possible answer to this question. People who are that closeminded about drugs can stay away for all I care.
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 107 (view)

Posted: 2/8/2007 8:09:54 AM
I have read the OP.

And you're wrong. Different subject? Many people here have been discussing applied theory as well as formal theory. Your implied distinctions between the two are tenuous at best.

Not at all, read the OP, what is meant by "good musician" is well established for the purpose of this thread as being beyond genre, and taste, and specific to being open to all styles and genres from the standpoint of "understanding" any music form, and being able to function well in any music environment.

I disagree. It has NOT been established for any purposes, certainly not for the purpose of this thread. I would intensely disagree that being able to function well in any environment is essential to a good musician. Useful for some types of musicians yes. Most definitely useful for session players and teachers. But many of the greatest musicians have had a very singular and narrow vision. Have even been narrowminded.

Beyond genre? Since genre is a label for sorting music, it's unclear what is meant by this. From your earlier comments it seems that what you mean is the ability to play in SEVERAL genres, for example being able to play both blues and country and rock. This is certainly not BEYOND anything. It's playing and living very much on the level of genre. A session player who was truly BEYOND genre would be practically worthless, since what they do is generally reinforce musical cliches. You know what I mean, "Play me a little Lynyrd Skynyrd thing here but with more of a blues twist, and when the coke logo comes on screen hit the whammy bar." I am by no means disparaging all session players creativity, but saying that they are beyond genre is ludicrous.

Is Woody Guthrie beyond genre because he embodies it while trancending it? He couldn't play bebop that's for sure. What about****Dale who singlehandedly created an entire genre with surf music? An entire new sound and musical vocabulary. His vision was narrow but he was by no means trapped in his "genre". What some people call "openmindedness" I call an excuse for mediocrity and vaguenes. Musical dilletantes and underachievers who make up for their lack of direction with big talk about their worldliness and range of experience.

I hope I've expressed my contrary views well enough for you to understand them without dismissing them out of hand.
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 106 (view)

Posted: 2/8/2007 8:09:42 AM
I have read the OP.

And you're wrong. Different subject? Many people here have been discussing applied theory as well as formal theory. Your implied distinctions between the two are tenuous at best.

Not at all, read the OP, what is meant by "good musician" is well established for the purpose of this thread as being beyond genre, and taste, and specific to being open to all styles and genres from the standpoint of "understanding" any music form, and being able to function well in any music environment.

I disagree. It has NOT been established for any purposes, certainly not for the purpose of this thread. I would intensely disagree that being able to function well in any environment is essential to a good musician. Useful for some types of musicians yes. Most definitely useful for session players and teachers. But many of the greatest musicians have had a very singular and narrow vision. Have even been narrowminded.

Beyond genre? Since genre is a label for sorting music, it's unclear what is meant by this. From your earlier comments it seems that what you mean is the ability to play in SEVERAL genres, for example being able to play both blues and country and rock. This is certainly not BEYOND anything. It's playing and living very much on the level of genre. A session player who was truly BEYOND genre would be practically worthless, since what they do is generally reinforce musical cliches. You know what I mean, "Play me a little Lynyrd Skynyrd thing here but with more of a blues twist, and when the coke logo comes on screen hit the whammy bar." I am by no means disparaging all session players creativity, but saying that they are beyond genre is ludicrous.

Is Woody Guthrie beyond genre because he embodies it while trancending it? He couldn't play bebop that's for sure. What about****Dale who singlehandedly created an entire genre with surf music? An entire new sound and musical vocabulary. His vision was narrow but he was by no means trapped in his "genre". What some people call "openmindedness" I call an excuse for mediocrity and vaguenes. Musical dilletantes and underachievers who make up for their lack of direction with big talk about their worldliness and range of experience.

I hope I've expressed my contrary views well enough for you to understand them without dismissing them out of hand.
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 103 (view)

Posted: 2/7/2007 9:44:09 PM
While I agree with many of your specific examples late, that is simply not what is meant by the words "music theory". That seems more like the working knowledge earned by gigging musicians. Nothing wrong with any of that, but again, it has little do with formal music theory, which is about abstraction and deriving principles from music. Music theory is, in a sense, the philosophy of music, basically talking about music. You may not like that kind of thinking (as I don't, overdone or out of place), but calling it a "misperception of what theory is" is simply incorrect.

What I mean when I say "the more we know the less we know," can be observed by reading one of the seminal works of theory, Helmhotz' "On the Sensation of Tone." Even basic assumptions about what a note is can be called into question, in a similar way to the philosopher Wittgenstein's deep questioning of the truth of grammar and words.

What does this mean to me? The futility of the quest for a definitive abstraction. It leads me to Zen. Just being. Just doing. Just playing. This kind of commitment does not allow for traditional distinctions such as "proper and improper technique" rather "appropriate and innappropriate technique".
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 97 (view)

Posted: 2/7/2007 12:49:44 PM
Music THEORY is a lot like philosophy, the more you learn about it the more you realize how little we actually know. Theory is an attempt to understand and define what and why something sounds good. There are different "theories" for different schools of music, serial music, the various stages of classical music, jazz, rock and roll, punk, etc. Improvising is often a complete anathema to classical musicians, yet it's integral to jazz. The "blue" notes in the blues fall outside the normal tempered tuning system. When new elements like these arrive theory attempts to accomodate them. Theory stems from music not the other way around.

You don't have to know physics to be able to throw a baseball. (:

You don't have to understand how a retina works to paint a picture. (:

You don't have to know what a verb is to tell someone to eff off. (:

I prefer good songs to so called technique. I think most people naturally do. Listening to eighties guitar jack-offery is like hearing the tale of how weedilly met deedilly. Rock and punk musicians often pretend to know less about theory than we actually do because we understand the value of MYSTERY in seduction. I'm going to paraphrase Lou Reed here, "The only rule in Rock and Roll is, you have to believe the singer." Or musician.

In my opinion, linear and conceptual thinking presents the greatest danger to any type of artist.
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 25 (view)

What ever happen to morals in a relatonship?
Posted: 2/7/2007 9:13:56 AM
Morals? Yours or mine? Don't assume that because someone doesn't share your morals that they have none.
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 52 (view)

Is the Big Bang Theory wrong?
Posted: 2/7/2007 9:03:36 AM
The model you've quoted 'works' in simulation, meaning it's plausible and possible, but given current data most cosmologists believe the universe will continue expanding at an ever greater rate. Also, that model doesn't suggest "no Big Bang", rather "MANY Big Bangs".
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 26 (view)

do girls like just meeting for sex
Posted: 2/7/2007 8:42:31 AM
LOL. Personally, I prefer a challenge. That's why my one night stands stayed one night stands. And no I don't have a double standard, men can be sluts too. Having sex isn't like shaking hands. It will never be that simple, too many feelings are tied up in the whole thing. Well, for most people.
 SaintElsewhere
Msg: 140 (view)

Looks really are everything....
Posted: 2/7/2007 8:18:45 AM
This is horrible. You sound like you feel horrible about yourself and I can tell you that isn't going to attract anyone but the vampires and commiserators. Of course looks matter. I bet they matter to you. I bet you look at people's pictures when deciding whther you want to talk to them online, and I bet in the real world you look more at a pretty woman than not, so don't be such an effing hypocrite. Now lets say you're a 3 on the old bell curve; well there are plenty of 3's and 4's and 5's for you to date. If YOU didn't care about looks this wouldn't be a problem for you. I imagine that you spend a lot of time alone, and a lot of time watching television which gives you unrealistic expectations for yourself and others.

I've read most of this thread and now I'm going to give my 42 cents to everyone else(:

Look, I'm an average looking guy, who's dated some extraordinarily beautiful women. I mean it when I say extraordinary. Does it affect their personality and outlook on life? Of course it does. From their early teens they've been surrounded by people trying to use them. Many have been raped and abused. They find it easier to get jobs, easier to find friends, easier to find someone willing to say yes to anything they say, and harder to be taken seriously. Many resent the vanity of others and start to believe that every human is shallow. Many fall into the trap of believing the flattery and never develop as people. As one poet put it "A natural beauty should be preserved like a monument." Think about how that would feel. The distance that is imposed.

Now to all the people who say that "only whats inside matters" I have a few things to say. Number one: When was the last time you heard someone say, "I'm great-looking but have a horrible personality," hell, or even, "My personality could use some improvement." Never. No one ever says these things, because very few people EVER take a good hard look at themselves. What they mean when they say they're looking for a "good personality" is that indefinable good FEELING that the other person gives them. What causes these feelings has to do with looks as well as actual personality, clothing, whether your body language resembles one of their parents, what your political outlook is, whether the moon is in retrograde, etc. As always, what people say they want is very different from what they actually want. People with this kind of Polly-Anna, Disney cartoon outlook on life have never examined their own motivations. Fine, if that's how you choose to live your life. But don't try to assert some kind of moral superiority of people who are willing to take a look at themselves and humanity, no matter what they may find there.

One universal rule, is that people always want to be around people who make themselves feel good in some way. Honestly make a beautiful girl feel like she's interesting, and she'll feel good. Notice something attractive about someone who often gets looked over and they will feel good. My suggestion to whomever started this thread is to find someone who is extremely personable and make friends with them (shouldn't be that hard, these people NEED people, and often enough NEED to teach). Watch them. Learn how their confidence and charisma works. This isn't rocket science. Improve your life or live in hell everyday. Those are YOUR choices.

Show ALL Forums