Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: being picky vs lowering your standards
 jrb1979
Msg: 301 (view)

being picky vs lowering your standards
Posted: 9/20/2017 10:50:35 AM
I don't mind going on vacation alone as I don't it all the time but it would be nice to share my experiences with another person. I know quite a few couples that go on separate vacations all the time cause they don't jive on vacations. I am not against dating some one cause they don't want to go to the same places with me. I am willing to compromise on vacations if they like to do something else. I have noticed that a lot of the women in the area I live in never really want to go anywhere. Its not always cause of the money, I have noticed a lot of people won't go anywhere unless they have some one to join them.

My philosophy is I don't wait for some one to join me. If I did that I would never go anywhere. My advice to people is if you can afford it just go. You don't always have to have some one with you.
 jrb1979
Msg: 298 (view)

Posted: 9/20/2017 10:29:54 AM
What you described to me doesn't sound like a fun day. When I was in Vegas I was doing something every day. One day I went to the Grand Canyon, another day I saw a couple of shows and gambled a bit. The last day I was there I went zip-lining in downtown Las Vegas. I relax on my days off at home, my vacation time is to see new things and experience things.
 jrb1979
Msg: 295 (view)

Posted: 9/20/2017 9:24:27 AM
You can call me selfish but where I am picky is my free time and what I do on my vacations. Its been very hard to find a woman who likes doing what I do for vacations. My vacations involve either going to different amusement parks to ride roller coasters or going to places like Las Vegas or Florida where there is something to do everyday. I could never go to an all inclusive resort to sit at at a beach all day. BORING. It has been very hard to find some one that wants to join me on these vacations.
 jrb1979
Msg: 55 (view)

Workaholics
Posted: 6/22/2017 11:24:42 AM
That would never work for me. I have tried dating women who are busy all the time and it doesn't work for me. I find that a lot of women now want a guy that they can fit in for a couple hours here and there. I work steady afternoons so for me the only time I really have to spend with anyone is on weekends when I am off. Most of that time I spend at my trailer relaxing. Its very hard to find a woman that wants to do that most weekends.
 jrb1979
Msg: 218 (view)

being picky vs Lowering your standards
Posted: 6/19/2017 9:49:22 AM
I wish I lived in your state. Where I am from a lot of the men and women are either gym rats or homebodies. It does make it that much harder to date here.
 jrb1979
Msg: 216 (view)

being picky vs Lowering your standards
Posted: 6/19/2017 9:31:14 AM
I would lower my standards on what I find attractive as I have done that before. I am very picky when it pertains to the things I do in my free time and if it ends up being I am single for a long time cause of it, so be it. My summer weekends are mostly spent up at my trailer or I am off to an amusement park to ride roller coasters. Its hard to find a woman that wants to do that all summer but I am not about to change any of that. It does make it hard to find some one to date but I would rather stay single then give up what I love to do.
 jrb1979
Msg: 21 (view)

I'm almost 30! What's up POF?
Posted: 6/7/2017 9:48:09 AM
I am 38 and have been single for almost 5 years now and most of it has been my choice. I do miss the affection part of a relationship but not much else. I got to the point of being tired of the games that are played and I have become indifferent to relationships and women. I have had too many women string me a long, acting like they are interested in me and going on dates to all of a sudden just stop talking to me.

The other reason is enjoy being able to do what I want when I want. I would love to have someone to join me when I go to amusement parks or to my trailer in the summer. I find not many women are into either one of those things and I am not about to give that up.
 jrb1979
Msg: 97 (view)

How has the Obesity Crisis affected your dating life(if at all)?
Posted: 4/27/2017 9:29:57 AM
Its affected me in the opposite way. The amount of women that have become gym rats is unbelievable. Its one thing to workout and exercise which doesn't bother me. To live at the gym 4 to 5 times a week is crazy. I don't know how these women have time to date between going to the gym and either working or school. A few profiles I have seen say going to the gym as first date. What a great way to get to know some one while they sweat it out. NO THANKS.
 jrb1979
Msg: 64 (view)

Why Is Internet Dating SO Hard!!
Posted: 4/12/2017 10:07:01 AM

Which fails to explain why so many millions of women who CLAIM to have "it going on" for them- in their profiles- great family, great friends, great job- even bothered to waste any of their valuable time to set up profiles on the myriad of dating sites on the Internet

They are the type of women I tend to stay away from. These women are looking for a relationship as long as that person fits into their lifestyle. I dated a woman like that years ago and I find that they are really too busy for a real relationship. I would have a date with her maybe twice a week. Her job took up a lot of her time.
 jrb1979
Msg: 53 (view)

Why Is Internet Dating SO Hard!!
Posted: 4/6/2017 11:31:24 AM
Dating in general is very hard these days. Mostly cause it is very hard to meet people. A lot of it has to do with the fact that no one really goes out like they used to. On top of that most people are looking for the perfect partner. You used to be able to go to the bar, coffee shops or walks to meet people. Now when I go to the bar with friends I rarely see single girls anymore. Most of the time they are there with their boyfriend or husband. It seems like we are becoming hermits. Online dating isn't much better. A lot of profiles I read say they love a night in more then they like going out. I don't understand how people in general don't like going out like they used to.
 jrb1979
Msg: 25 (view)

The greatest age to be single.
Posted: 2/27/2017 11:14:02 AM
I am in my late 30's and have been single for the last 5 years. I have enjoyed every minute of it. I have been to travel a lot and see places I have never seen. My highlight every summer is spending a week at Cedar Point. I am roller coaster nerd and love going to different parks when I can. Its very difficult to find a woman that is into going to parks like that. I can't see that changing any time soon. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have some one to date and do things with but I don't want to change my lifestyle to get it.
 jrb1979
Msg: 9 (view)

Dating while an introvert
Posted: 1/1/2017 7:53:07 PM
I can understand where she is coming from as I am a lot like her. Getting dates isn't the hard part for me, its making them become serious relationships. I know a lot of is me cause I am a quiet guy and I don't talk a lot. Most of the women I have gone out have all made comments about it. For me I find it easier to just be single then try to find that 1 in a million that can deal with the type of guy I am.
 jrb1979
Msg: 53 (view)

Single in your 30's
Posted: 7/11/2016 10:28:14 AM
That is part of the issue I have with dating is what you describe. My other issue is the things I like to do in my free time not many woman are interested in for some reason. During the summer I have a season's pass to Canada's Wonderland, I usually go there every couple of weeks. My vacation week I use in the summer I go to Cedar Point for most of the week. I travel a lot too but when I travel, I like going somewhere where I will be busy all day everyday. I usually go to Las Vegas once a year maybe twice. I would rather go there then spend a week on a beach some where. I have never been interested in going to Cuba or any place like that. I get bored sitting at the beach for more than an hour. To find a woman that is into amusement parks and likes traveling to places other then down south is not easy. Because of that I have learned to enjoy the single life.
 jrb1979
Msg: 77 (view)

Why do people ghost/disappear on the people they are dating?
Posted: 6/23/2016 9:06:35 AM
I know the disappearing act is not nice at all as I have had it done to me. This girl that was really good friends with me for 2 years just one day stopped talking to me. I haven't heard from her since and that was 2 years ago now.

I have done the disappearing act too and I have finally figured out why I do it. I have been single for almost 5 years now. I have gone on dates but nothing serious. I was seeing this girl I met on here for a month. Things seem to be going well with this girl. We were talking almost everyday and seeing each other every weekend. I went on vacation a few weeks ago and while I was away we stopped talking as much. When I got back it continued till I stopped talking to her completely. I feel bad for what I have done. I finally figured out why I did it and I have realized dating isn't for me right now.

It might be cause I have been single for so long but I am really enjoying it too much at this moment. Some of the things I do would have to end once I am in a relationship. At least 3 times a week I go out to the bar for drinks after work with some co-workers. The other thing I don't want to give up at this time is how much I love traveling solo cause I enjoy doing what I want, when I want.
 jrb1979
Msg: 45 (view)

Single in your 30's
Posted: 6/19/2016 8:44:42 AM
I have enjoyed doing what I want, when I want but I am also getting to the point I would like to find some one to enjoy things with. It isn't easy anymore once you are over 25. The issue I seem to be having is that its hard to find women that enjoy the things I like. My idea for a great vacation is going to Florida for a week to go to Universal or Disney. I love going to amusement parks, I spend a lot of my summer at either Cedar Point or Canada's Wonderland. I find not many people are into that once they hit their 30's.
 jrb1979
Msg: 39 (view)

Single in your 30's
Posted: 4/1/2016 10:23:42 AM
I agree with a lot of what you said Singlekitty. I am far from perfect and I am not looking for the perfect mate. The only think I want is some one that understands my lifestyle and will accept it. I love to travel and enjoy life. I have noticed that a lot of younger people seem to put work over everything else. I work with a couple of guys that never want to take vacation time or always are willing to come in for overtime. I understand that some people have to work as much as they can for financial reasons. For me I have learned that its not worth waiting til you are older to be able to travel or enjoy life cause there is a chance you won't be able to later in life.
 jrb1979
Msg: 31 (view)

Single in your 30's
Posted: 3/18/2016 8:40:55 AM
I know finding a partner depends on attraction, compatibility, chemistry and other things. Now it seem its more about material things.
 jrb1979
Msg: 23 (view)

Single in your 30's
Posted: 3/16/2016 7:51:08 AM
I wish I knew why a lot of women in this area have a problem with it. The last few women I went out with made a big deal about it. I have my mornings free til mid afternoon everyday and I have learned to work with my schedule. My thought is if the woman is really into a guy it shouldn't matter what hours he works.
 jrb1979
Msg: 20 (view)

Single in your 30's
Posted: 3/15/2016 2:55:37 PM
I am willing to compromise with anyone in what I do with my free time. The reason I won't compromise on the hours I work is cause I have worked day shift for the company I work for but I hate the department they have you work in. You say I should compromise in regards to the hours ai work but why is it so hard for others to work around my schedule.
 jrb1979
Msg: 19 (view)

Single in your 30's
Posted: 3/15/2016 2:47:21 PM
I get Fridays and Saturdays off. I am willing to compromise on what I do in my free time but I refuse to take a pay cut to work day shift to make a woman happy.
 jrb1979
Msg: 14 (view)

Single in your 30's
Posted: 3/15/2016 11:13:33 AM
Yes I would like some one to be with but my issue is finding a woman that will accept the life I live. I never said I never had the things women look for. I have a great paying job, my own car and planning on buying a house in few months. Even with all that I am not willing to change the way I live. I will probably always work steady afternoons and I like to go away 2 or 3 times a year. It seems that most women in the region I live don't want a date a guy that always works afternoons.
 jrb1979
Msg: 11 (view)

Single in your 30's
Posted: 3/14/2016 8:12:09 AM
I am not opposed to dating someone but I am not actively looking for it.
 jrb1979
Msg: 3 (view)

Single in your 30's
Posted: 3/9/2016 9:50:48 PM
It concerns me cause its another reason I stay single. Its a lot easier to be happy single they trying to be some ones perfect mate.
 jrb1979
Msg: 1 (view)

Single in your 30's
Posted: 3/9/2016 10:47:28 AM
Just putting this out there but is it such a bad thing to want to stay single? I am in my mid 30's and I can't see myself wanting to date anymore. Its not that I don't enjoy people's company but I am enjoying my life right now. A big reason for not wanting to date is cause I really enjoying doing what I want when I want. The other reason is I am finding more and more that once people hit 30 it seems they have a list a mile long on what the exactly want. Both genders do it and I don't get it. Basically most people want to date some one that is established. The person has to have their own house, own car, a great job and work bank hours or during the day. It really turns me off of dating completely.

I work steady afternoons and so far a lot of women I have met have held that against me. That's not the only thing that a few women didn't like. I like to travel a lot but I love doing it alone as I love doing what I want when I want. Those reasons there are why its not easy for me to find some one to date. I am totally fine with that. I am enjoying my life the way it is.

My question when did dating become about what the person has? People set their expectations to high anymore. What ever happened to the days where if you the person treated you well and as long as they weren't a druggie or alcoholic it was good.
 jrb1979
Msg: 39 (view)

it sure isn't. whatcha gonna do?
Posted: 2/25/2016 9:19:00 AM
Yes women seem to be more picky now but so are men. I blame a lot of that on online dating. It seems a lot of people are looking for the perfect person. I am sorry to say that doesn't exist. It makes dating very frustrating anymore and no wonder a lot of people would rather stay single. People have way too many deal breakers now. Its like people are looking for reasons to stay single. This one girl I went out with is a good example of that. We chatted for awhile and went out a couple of times but the whole time she could never get past the fact I work afternoons.
 jrb1979
Msg: 114 (view)

Flakey men on this site.
Posted: 2/19/2016 8:22:22 PM
I agree completely with what you said. Lately I find there is so many women seem to be guarded and are afraid to get close to anyone. I will admit I have flaked on women a couple of times but when I do its usually I get the vibe they are guarded or I am the one who has that start the conversation majority of the time. I don't have lots of free time as it is so I don't have time to waste on women like that.
 jrb1979
Msg: 157 (view)

pof is just a waste of time
Posted: 2/5/2016 12:34:23 PM
You are right. It shouldn't be that hard but I will tell you in my opinion why it is hard. Its cause people these days want the perfect mate and have become very impatient when it comes to dating. That is the reason I don't bother to try to date anymore. Everyone seems to want instant chemistry with the person they are dating. Sorry but it takes time to really get to know some one. On top of that I find a lot of people are looking for deal-breakers as soon as they meet the person. When people realize that the perfect person doesn't exist the better the dating world will be. I kind of understand where they are coming from. I am not looking for the perfect person in a partner but to find some one that fits my lifestyle is not easy.
I work steady afternoons, so I am up late every night. I travel quite often. Pretty much any vacation time I get I am going somewhere. I don't see myself giving up that kind of lifestyle. Its very hard to find a woman, especially in my area who is willing to live a life like that.
 jrb1979
Msg: 70 (view)

Women too picky
Posted: 12/1/2015 10:51:29 AM
For me both genders I find now are looking for the perfect partner. It has gone past liking the person for who they are and how they treat them. Its now seems to more about the material side of things. Y0u know how many profiles I have seen on here saying they have their life together and if you want a date you have to have your life together too. It seems now if you don't own your own house, have a good paying job and a car, it gets held against you. Dating was much simpler when I was younger cause you didn't have to deal with so many deal breakers like you do now.
 jrb1979
Msg: 147 (view)

How open are you REALLY to discuss why you're still single?
Posted: 11/22/2015 9:44:35 AM
The reason I am still single is many reasons. Part of it is, like many have said, is I kind of like being able to do what I want when I want. To go along with that, I also like traveling a lot and sometimes I like just to go alone. The one girl I went out with got offended cause I like traveling alone sometimes. As much as I would like to be in a relationship, its the kind of relationship I want doesn't work for most women. Its hard to find some one than can accept that I need my alone time.
 jrb1979
Msg: 248 (view)

Serial texters
Posted: 9/23/2015 8:37:29 AM
I am not one to constantly text a girl but I do text a few times a day but its mostly cause of the hours I work. I work steady afternoons so its hard to have time to call somebody. Most people work during the day so I can't really call them during the day and I don't get home till midnight usually which is kind of late to call somebody. Ever since I was a kid I have never liked talking on the phone. I would text or talk in person as I am more comfortable with it.
 jrb1979
Msg: 229 (view)

Serial texters
Posted: 8/14/2015 9:05:40 AM
I am the same way. I have never liked talking on the phone and still don't. Part of it cause I find it easier to witty and say what I want to say when I have a minute or 2 to think about what I want to say. The other reason is I don't call often is cause of the schedule I work. I work afternoons so by the time I get home from work its near midnight and most people don't want to talk that late if they have to work in the morning.
 jrb1979
Msg: 98 (view)

Posted: 8/11/2015 8:15:59 AM
It is both genders that have unrealistic expectations anymore. I understand not settling for someone who doesn't have that. I do have all that other than the house part which I plan getting one next summer. What I am trying to say is I don't try judge some one who I want to date on the material things they have. If they are a good person, have a job and a car I am happy. Its sad to see what the dating world has become. It seems like dating now is all about what the person has and not who the person is.
 jrb1979
Msg: 20 (view)

Hard to find a woman these days
Posted: 8/6/2015 11:19:09 AM
I am saying even after I have gone on a date with the girl and we make plans for another one we will keep chatting. It gets frustrating when the girl acts all interested but never makes the effort. I do usually try to meet the girl within a week and if not I move on.
 jrb1979
Msg: 16 (view)

Posted: 8/6/2015 7:40:45 AM
I have been enjoying my life. I have a great job which allows me to travel and have good friends that I hang out with on my weekends. I don't expect anything from anyone. I am enjoying the single life and being able to do what I want when I want. All I am saying is it would be nice to have some one in my life to travel with and share things with.

Motowngirl I never said I was perfect and I know I have my issues. One of them is I tend to lose interest fast. I know part of that is to when I feel like I am the one who is putting in all the effort. I will be chatting with the girl for a few weeks and we go on a few dates. We continue to talk after and setup another date. I start to lose interest when I feel the only time we talk is if I send the first message or call first. I really think that is why I get so frustrated most of the time.
 jrb1979
Msg: 1 (view)

Posted: 8/5/2015 11:28:00 AM
First before you all pass this off as another whoa is me thread, I will say I know that a good part of my problem is me. I am a quiet guy, I don't talk a lot, need my alone time and I work steady afternoons with friday and saturday off.. Its not easy for a lot of women to deal with that and I totally understand that. Cause of that I have embraced the single life but at the same time would love to have some one in my life to travel with and share things with. The last few girls I have had dates usually say that I am too quiet for them or my schedule doesn't work for them. I feel now a days men and women seem to have a big list of deal breakers and have unrealistic expectations. A good friend of mine past away last week and one of his last words were live every day as its your last. Life is too short to look for the perfection in a partner. I have always felt that if you are attracted to the person and enjoy their company that should be enough.
 jrb1979
Msg: 97 (view)

Shyness versus introverted
Posted: 8/4/2015 10:52:02 AM
I find lately that its hard for me to get a date cause of the kind of guy I am. I am very quiet and don't always talk much. The last couple of girls I went on dates with both told me I am too quiet for them. Cause of that I have started to embrace being single and enjoying the time to myself. I would love to have some one to do things with and travel with but I am not desperate enough to settle on the first girl that comes along that will take me as I am. Part of me hates the way the world has come in terms of dating. Everyone wants an instant connection and if not they move on. Cause of that mentality a lot of girls don't give me much of a chance.
 jrb1979
Msg: 129 (view)

Why do men not know what they want?
Posted: 7/14/2015 10:30:55 AM
I agree with everything you said. I wish more people were like that. For me being an introvert and normally a very quiet guy it sometimes takes a bit to get comfortable around new people. With the way most people are right now with wanting an instant connection, not many women give me a chance. As you said it takes more than one date to really get to know a person.
 jrb1979
Msg: 111 (view)

Has anyone decided to opt out of dating all together [over 40]
Posted: 7/14/2015 9:03:15 AM
Up until recently, I was just about to opt out of dating all together. But I met some one and it has made me change my mind. For me I find dating to be too much pressure and with people having high expectations in a partner I find it too hard to deal with. I found most of the women in my area seem to want a guy that has there life together and works a 9 t0 5 job. I ended up meeting a girl from the US and it changed my view of dating. I just think its funny I had to resort to dating a girl from another country to find what I am looking for.
 jrb1979
Msg: 93 (view)

Shyness versus introverted
Posted: 7/13/2015 9:37:26 AM
I fall into both categories. When I am around new people I can be quite shy but when I am around friends there are times I am very quiet. Thats cause there are times I am out with friends but don't feel interested in participating in conversations. Cause I work around people all day by the time I get home most times I just want to be alone. Some of my friends just don't get why I am so quiet.
 jrb1979
Msg: 111 (view)

Why do men not know what they want?
Posted: 7/12/2015 6:53:11 PM
^^^^^ I couldn't have said it better myself. I wish all genders could live that way and burn their list of dealbreakers.
 jrb1979
Msg: 86 (view)

I won't settle
Posted: 7/12/2015 1:41:13 PM
I find now that a lot of people have lists a mile long for deal breakers and for what they won't settle for. All I can say to those people is good luck with that.
 jrb1979
Msg: 84 (view)

I won't settle
Posted: 7/12/2015 12:37:15 PM
A few years ago, I would date any girl that seemed into me, even if I didn't feel anything for her in return. I finally realized it wasn't working for me. So for me when I say I won't settle, I have to feel attracted to the girl as much as she is attracted to me. For me I don't have a big list of deal breakers, all I want is that the girl works, drives and is over 30. I find a lot of girls under 30 play games.
 jrb1979
Msg: 51 (view)

How did you Heal your Broken Heart ?
Posted: 7/12/2015 12:23:58 PM
The no contact advice works the best as well as focusing on hobbies and hanging out with friends. All of that worked well for me. Now I have come to the point that when I do go one a date I really find it hard to feel anything more than friendship with any of them. The last few I went out with I found very attractive and we seem to have lots in common. I just don't feel it with anyone any more. I think subconsciously I am afraid to get hurt again.
 jrb1979
Msg: 37 (view)

I won't settle
Posted: 7/5/2015 9:37:01 AM
I agree with the both of you. A lot of people these days, both genders, when they say they won't settle seem to have a list a mile long of what they are looking for. What ever happened to liking someone for who they are? For me as long as the person has a job, can drive and we have a mutual attraction it works for me. People need to learn to lower their expectations a little.
 jrb1979
Msg: 14 (view)

Pof specific rejection
Posted: 7/3/2015 9:54:20 AM
I have lowered my expectations a long time ago on POF, especially in the region I live in. Its hard to find what I am looking for in my area as it seems to be a lot of single mothers. I have nothing against single mothers, but it doesn't work for me as sometimes I like to do things spontaneously and I do work afternoons.
 jrb1979
Msg: 95 (view)

Posted: 7/1/2015 9:01:24 AM
I agree with what you posted but will add that along with the looks, they expect the person to have a house, a car, money and a great job. What ever happened to liking a person for who they are and not what they have?
 jrb1979
Msg: 93 (view)

Posted: 6/30/2015 8:41:57 AM
As some one else said, its not just POF, its dating in general. I remember when I was younger not many had a list a mile long of deal breakers like a lot of people do now. It used to be if 2 people liked each other, enjoyed each others company and share their life together, it was usually good enough. Now that is not good enough and both genders are bad for this. Its not all about if the person is financially stable, has a good job, owns a house and has a car. No wonder people don't date as much as they used to. Its too much pressure put on people to live up to expectations put on them. That is a big reason I have lost some interest in dating. As much as I would love to have some one in my life to share things with, I hate feeling that I might not be good enough for that person. The other reason, is I have come to enjoy the single life. I like doing what I want, when I want and I hate waiting around for others to decide what they want to do.
 jrb1979
Msg: 52 (view)

Why are most women so flakey?
Posted: 6/22/2015 7:33:42 AM
I came across this thread and thought I would respond to it. I used to keep chasing women even after they canceled plans with me. Now I don't time for that. Ever since the start of the year my attitude now is I don't wait around for anyone. When I meet a new girl and she can't commit to plans within the first 2 weeks of meeting I move on. I have found the younger generation seem to be the worst for being flaky. Men and Women. I don't get it and that is why I stay away from dating younger then 30 now.
 jrb1979
Msg: 29 (view)

Being available: Bad or Good?
Posted: 5/30/2015 8:00:42 AM
Then there is people like me who can't stand talking on the phone. I would rather talk in person or text. I don't keep texting some one to have a conversation. I text a bit at the beginning to set up a date. Recently I have found though is a lot of women are flaky. We will be texting back and forth for a few days and set up a date. When it gets close to the day they make up an excuse why they can't go. The last girl I talked, we planned a date and the day came and I asked her if we were still on for meeting. She never answered back. I haven't talked to her since.
 jrb1979
Msg: 16 (view)

forming relationships
Posted: 5/26/2015 8:20:21 AM

So again the key is to not look for it, but to let it arrive in it's own right.

I have learned to live by that and I have had a couple of dates cause of thinking that way. It works, I just haven't found what I am looking for yet.

Show ALL Forums