Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Getting older
 soverncomfort
Msg: 11 (view)

Getting older
Posted: 2/4/2014 3:33:05 PM
Age is a funny old thing .....I think one advantage is being a tad wiser as with every passing year we continue to learn about life and ourselves. I can't say Im chuffed at being nearer 50 than 40 though as I definitely feel a lot younger. Im not one for growing old gracefully ;-)
 soverncomfort
Msg: 20 (view)

EUROPEAN ECONOMIC UNITY DOES NOT WORK
Posted: 6/1/2012 11:07:23 AM
Graffiti ...Im sure I am not alone in predicting the euro would not have a very happy time. And no its not based on media scaremongering. I am my own person and have my own opinions. For me, if 17 countries in one continent take on one currency, then they are all subject to share any economic problems. Is that a good thing? Look around ...of course it isn't.

Why are countries not wanting to leave? Because to leave would mean many years of trying to recover value to their previous currency. I say that in very simple terms as I am short of time but hope you get it.
 soverncomfort
Msg: 10 (view)

Wildlife programs
Posted: 6/1/2012 10:56:25 AM
pandora ....Brian Cox not really wildlife but have to say I'll watch anything he presents. A lot goes over my head but his enthusiasm really lends itself to making the viewer want to know more.

I do enjoy Springwatch which again makes watching wildlife programs more entertaining than many others.
 soverncomfort
Msg: 15 (view)

Looking for a normal guy?? No Players?? Advice please.....
Posted: 5/31/2012 12:35:55 PM
Absolutely Michaelmas ....I would hate to be considered Mr 'Normal'. I have my ways and am quite unique and I guess quirky in some ways ....normal in other ways.

Normal is a bloody stupid word.
 soverncomfort
Msg: 14 (view)

Posted: 5/27/2012 6:10:27 PM
This is a brilliant thread and most have made some fantastic points ...Marco4444 & PeteSomething to name but two ....I am very anti the euro and want it gone so that in time the economy in europe can rebuild. But some of the points made against EU membership are extremely valid though I believe there have been benefits as well ceetainly in trade.

Its too late to get too into this but will enjoy reading some more thoughts on this tomorrow.
 soverncomfort
Msg: 13 (view)

Posted: 5/27/2012 5:58:25 PM
Msg12 ....the Euro has NOT been a massive success, the current situation highlights that. The issues in europe have nothing to do with EU membership. The Euro was a ridiculous idea to start with and I predicted that these problems might occur many years ago which is why Im glad we stuck with the pound.

Personally, the euro should be scrapped ....it may mean a few years of difficulty but can anyone really see things getting better as it is with bailout after bailout and billions being thrown down the plughole to rescue countries that cant be saved. As things stand, the euro is on its way to a slow painful death causing economical nightmares in countries across europe, and will continue to do so as long as they try to hold onto it.

All it was going to take was a recession in one country to spread like disease across europe because all these countries are trading in one currency.

Unfortunately, the arrogance at government level in these countries means they dont want to lose face so will keep on bailing out anyone in trouble until there is no money left to do so ....unfortunately this affects us as we are contributing to help, a necessity of our trade links and the effect of everything crashing on the UK's own financial institutions and hence our own economy.

As for immigration, well what can we do? I dont have the answers there but all I know that the Euro crisis is a disaster that has been waiting to happen since its inception.
 soverncomfort
Msg: 21 (view)

Criminals and a new start??
Posted: 5/27/2012 1:07:38 PM
sorry I say 'them all' ....I meant a large number of them. Mustn'y generalise.
 soverncomfort

Criminals and a new start??
Posted: 5/27/2012 1:05:58 PM
Well pandora ....I am fed up to the back teeth of footballers giving the sport a bad name with their high and mighty attitude ....the drink and drugs, rapes and big time charlie arrogance of them all. Heightened often by John Terry's attitude and the fact that as a star footballer he often gets let off and continues to play for England, etc etc. .....and then recently Ched Evans of Sheffield United was convicted of rape while his team mates accused the girl concerned of being a tramp and a whore.

So to the original point, he should serve his sentence and probably a longer one. I think the charge of manslaughter should be reserved for genuine accidents. If you are driving while under the influence, you knowingly have the potential to kill ....and to me that is murder, not premeditated maybe, but still murder.

He doesn't deserve a second chance ....for all Swindon Chairman talking crap about the victim, all they were concerned about was getting a half decent player to play for them. No morals atall.
 soverncomfort
Msg: 4 (view)

MSN??
Posted: 5/23/2012 9:33:59 AM
roxy, I think shampooing the guinea pig is vastly overrated
 soverncomfort
Msg: 3 (view)

MSN??
Posted: 5/23/2012 9:32:25 AM
recommend ditching it. Its full of spammers and scammers. Microsoft should do the ecent thing and put it out to pasture. I only use fb chat for chatting. And rarely even that. Prefer people contact.
 soverncomfort
Msg: 113 (view)

What messages gets you to answer them
Posted: 5/20/2012 9:19:50 AM
Msg127 .....you reply when you have time and are able. It's not up to people to rush you. I'm usually quick with replies as i have the time to do so but think it's unreasonable to expect the same. And just because someone is quick, don't think that it should be expected of you. We all have different things going on in our lives.
 soverncomfort
Msg: 5 (view)

Putting things into perspective....
Posted: 5/20/2012 8:56:03 AM
The truth is, many of us should feel lucky and never have anything to complain about when we read things like that. There are hundreds of thousands of people across the world who are suffering for one reason or another.

Will that stop any of us occasionally moaning about this, that or the other. Realistically it won't. Because we are human, it is natural to get frustrated about certain aspects of life. But yes, in a correct and proper world, if we all thought a bit more about people around us maybe we'd complain less often.
 soverncomfort

Things that should not be posted as a status on Facebook?
Posted: 5/20/2012 8:48:34 AM
oh .....and for anyone moaning about mums and their babies, people and horoscopes or whatever. I occasionally get that. Anyone who moans at me posting too much or whatever, will get blocked ....no more moaning. If you dont like what you're seeing you can hide that persons stuff from appearing .....beats whining about it. I mean, its fb thats all.
 soverncomfort
Msg: 19 (view)

Things that should not be posted as a status on Facebook?
Posted: 5/20/2012 8:43:02 AM
hmmm ....I tend to have an off the wall sense of humour and also like a rant about whats going on in the world every now and then. I never used to care what I put ...it was my way of spouting off. And most of my friends enjoy my statuses and seem to find them entertaining which is nice. Have some good old banter sometimes.

I do occasionally get into bother at work and I guess thats where you have to be careful. Fb is just a bit of fun and shouldnt be taken too seriously, at least in my world. As someone said though the 'every minute of the day what I'm doing statuses' are pretty dull ....but then I will find some way of making the status more entertaining with some witicism. It's all about the humour ;-)
 soverncomfort
Msg: 16 (view)

chat
Posted: 5/17/2012 1:52:17 PM
Msg4 ....probably scammers or spammers. MSN is full of it and really dont know why people still use it.

I myself wouldn't instigate chat with anyone just like that. As someone else said its an invasion of privacy if they dont know you. Besides i dont know where it is. And not overly bothered.
 soverncomfort
Msg: 28 (view)

Nightmare Dates
Posted: 5/17/2012 1:46:54 PM
Thanks all .....had some good laughs. Do people really do these things. Oh jeez and I've been moaning I've not had a date yet. Maybe I've had a lucky escape.

Mind you when i read all the things people are fussy about before they even get to the date stage, it maybe shows that what looks good to you on a profile doesn't necessarily translate into real life. The best date could well be the one who says "snuggled on the sofa with a bottle of wine and DVD" ...tada lol.
 soverncomfort
Msg: 66 (view)

Professional Golddiggers as seen on tv...
Posted: 5/17/2012 12:26:10 PM
Msg59 ....I agree. I had more respect for the model who was treating it as a proper business and effectively had a pricelist ....the girl in New York sounded like a right **** bragging about how she was gonna get that bag before having another row.

Of course the men were bloody stupid for falling for it. But I couldnt really have any respect for the women either. That said, they're not after my respect I guess, so each to their own!
 soverncomfort
Msg: 48 (view)

Men and women living apart.
Posted: 5/17/2012 12:06:58 PM
Must confess, I dont see that the question about living together has to be answered in a black and white way. I mean for me it's a case of play it by ear. You meet someone and over time you may or may not want to share a home. Having pre-conceived views on how things will be before you even meet someone seems strange.

I've lived on my own for years and I would much rather share my home and life. Part of being in a relationship involves compromises and if two people love each other then living in the same space surely can't be all that bad. It doesnt need to happen straight away and of course won't but for me it's most certainly a case of not planning anything, just see how the wind blows. Of course got to find someone who will take me on first ;-)
 soverncomfort
Msg: 12 (view)

Coloured hair on blokes
Posted: 5/17/2012 11:21:27 AM
Msg35 ....yep, finding that out. But my hairdresser is pretty good and has some neat tricks for keeping it looking its best ....oh christ you got me sounding like a girl now, thats if I didn't when i started this thread ....hey I'm not proud ;-)
 soverncomfort
Msg: 10 (view)

Coloured hair on blokes
Posted: 5/17/2012 10:19:31 AM
Thanks all for your wisdoms guys 'n' gals.

Pandora0237 prob has it about right with her final paragraph. Not sure on the highlights, would it work with grey hair? Def prefer the full colour though anyway.

Now after a pig of a day at work I'm gonna chill out in front of the telly and do sod all, except maybe feed the cat who is looking at me as if to say "Feed me ****". See y'all later
 soverncomfort
Msg: 9 (view)

Coloured hair on blokes
Posted: 5/17/2012 10:05:04 AM
Msg 29 ....haha ...I am most def not a 'Pompey bloke' ....just landed here 13 years ago and not found my way home to Kent yet ;-)
 soverncomfort
Msg: 6 (view)

Coloured hair on blokes
Posted: 5/16/2012 3:49:53 PM
Now testing that quote/unquote thingy ;-)

One thing OP, I would lose the line in your profile about the beach/seaside. it seems to be the phrase of doomm for profiles, anything about walking on the seafront or snuggling up with dvd's and a bottle of wine!!

hmmm ....yeah know what you mean about the standard profile things. Didn't mean it to come across like that but know what you mean. Thanks for the advice. Mind you its not March any more so I could do with a revamp anyway ;-)
 soverncomfort
Msg: 3 (view)

Coloured hair on blokes
Posted: 5/16/2012 3:09:29 PM
cinderfeakinella ....cheers. I think I explained in my intro why I was asking, or maybe it WAS just to rip the piss out of baldies ;-)

Nah, I'm just interested that's all in whether it would affect how people chose a date. I respect anyone's decisions and choices but just wondered.
 soverncomfort
Msg: 2 (view)

Coloured hair on blokes
Posted: 5/16/2012 2:56:35 PM
I guess the thing here is that Im in my forties ....a bit younger and don't think there's such an issue. Well actually theres not an issue for ME , and personally I have the same view as you. It would be nice if I could get the ladies too but am aware that some think coloured hair on a bloke my age is odd. Like I say just curious. I aint changing it anyway. It is who I am ;-)
 soverncomfort
Msg: 1 (view)

Coloured hair on blokes
Posted: 5/16/2012 2:37:08 PM
Right people, I guess this is mainly aimed at ladies but would welcome views from anyone just for interests sake.

I have for the last three years had my hair coloured. And no, not to hide the grey (honest lol) but just to be a bit different.

For two years I was purple and now it's a kind of orangey red (you can see in my profile pics). It doesn't look as bad as it might sound at least I don't think. Anyway, I know getting dates on here is not easy and must confess I'm a bit less active at messaging than i used to be, but I did wonder whether my lack of success in the past was because of my hair colour. I mean, some might say a 40-something year old colouring their hair is not that clever.

The two girls I've been out with in the time I've had it done had completely differing views. One girl made no bones about the fact that she hated it ;-) .....while the other girl loved it.

I don't mind if people don't like it, have no opinion, don't care or whatever as I like it so won't be changing it. I'm just interested in people's views as fairly new to this kind of dating game.

cheers all, Dan
 soverncomfort
Msg: 15 (view)

A latest plastic accessory is…….
Posted: 5/15/2012 10:03:19 AM
Prefer natural over anything fake. We all have bits and pieces we dont like but I really dont see the need for cosmetic surgery. I understand that some girls genuinely feel better in themselves when they've been under the knife, but I dont see it improves a girls look to me. Gotta be natural all the way.
 soverncomfort
Msg: 43 (view)

Dating superior/inferior careers to your own
Posted: 5/14/2012 2:26:16 PM
msg45 ...agree with your first point. I think I may be thinking in terms of age old stereotypes. Maybe have it wrong but sure some still view things like that.

Each to their own I guess. If someone wants to bypass me because of my job thats up to them. Definitely their loss though ....I'm happy with who I am and know I'll be a good catch for someone. By no means perfect but who is.
 soverncomfort
Msg: 30 (view)

Posted: 5/13/2012 2:03:51 PM
to message 29. I think what I was saying is that just because someone has a certain job doesnt mean they are that sort of person. If anything, I was making the opposite of a generalisation. Well done to your friend ....I did a similar thing when I was 29 and decided to up and move away from friends & family to go to uni as I had got stuck in a bit of a rut at the time. Best thing I ever did and gave me more direction and confidence as a person, even though it took me right out of my comfort zone. The career I chose at the time is probably not something I would chose now but twas a different time and different world.

The point I was making is that if you do a certain job, it doesn't mean that job defines the personality you are and I'm sure you'll agree. How you get to where you are now in your chosen career or current job is probably more personality defining I think.
 soverncomfort
Msg: 24 (view)

Posted: 5/13/2012 12:24:44 PM
Pretty gobsmacked that so many of you say 'I like my partner to have such and such a type of job'. I mean, surely if you meet someone and it clicks, who gives a monkeys what job the other has got.

Mind you having said that my last three girlfriends were all teaching assistants so what does that say lol.

I work in IT but am as far removed from the geeky stigma that has always been associated with IT. I actually considered trying to manipulate my job on here somehow as I'm sure people think 'oh IT .....boring' ....come on people its the person you're wanting to date not the job.

And yes we can all say it tells us a little about the person but it doesn't. It is just a job and not everyone gets to do their ideal career however much we'd love to.
 soverncomfort
Msg: 104 (view)

When to kiss for the first time
Posted: 5/13/2012 11:47:35 AM
Agree with wafta. Im pretty sure you'd know when it was ok to kiss. There isn't a rule. And if you liked her enough to have two long dates then I'm surprised you didn't give it more of a go.

You talk about passion but you can't assume that if a girl doesn't snog you on the first two dates she's got no passion. You don't know her yet.

Patience is a virtue!
 soverncomfort
Msg: 46 (view)

god .... its all in your head say scientists
Posted: 5/12/2012 3:33:56 AM
Oh I think I ought to add that for those who don't know and really want to know the answer to the meaning of life, the universe & everything.

Well the answer is 42. This has been known for some time.
 soverncomfort
Msg: 45 (view)

god .... its all in your head say scientists
Posted: 5/12/2012 3:32:02 AM
@Foxymoron ....well made point. I like to hink there is something out there to believe in. I was heavily involved with the church when I was younger but got disillusioned due to certain hypocrosy. However just because someone believes in god or likes to pray, etc it doesnot make them delusioned, stupid or mentally ill as some rather strange people have indicated in this thread. I also believe this whole science v religeon thing is crazy. Can the two not co-exist? Of course they can.

By the way, cant remember who said it but must make the point that believing in god or being in any way religeous does not mean that you go out with some hooded cloak and sacrifice women! Geeez.

I like a religeous debate but prefer that face to face. And there's too much to go through here in this thread.
 soverncomfort
Msg: 54 (view)

Degrees or not
Posted: 5/11/2012 3:40:22 PM
this made me smile .....I've got a degree but I put 'some college' because rightly or wongly some people are intimidated by qualifications so I didn't admit to it (the only lie on my profile I should add lol). Personally I dont think it matters too much about qualifications.

The most important educatonal establishment is the University of Life. No O'levels or a masters, it matters not in terms of what sort of person you or I might be.
 soverncomfort
Msg: 21 (view)

Advice please ladies?
Posted: 5/11/2012 3:17:26 PM
thanks webst .....when you care about someone you go the extra mile thats what its all about. A relationship needs so many qualities and understanding on both sides is important. I never felt bitter. I used to feel quite angry not with her but with the situation because I know I could have helped her through and that not many would have been as supportive. But she needs to deal with things on her own.

No we wont get back together again. Forgetting me for a moment I dont think she'd come back cos she felt so bad about the way 'she treated me' even though I always told her she'd done nothing wrong. One day we'll be friends again but who knows when that is. As I say, life is very complicated and NEVER black and white. I learnt a lot from this experience I think and hopefully I'll take that into the next relationship whenever that might be. But I will never change the sort of person I am I hope.
 soverncomfort
Msg: 28 (view)

How persistent are you?
Posted: 5/10/2012 5:10:06 PM
hmmm ....now this is a tricky one. I've always assumed that if someone doesn't reply or replies in the negative, then thats it so I wont reply again. There are one or two who have been really nice in their 'knock back' for want of a better phrase and I guess sometimes I'd like to send another message but I dont want to seem like the bloke who doesn't give up ....so I don't. Now that is a real quandry but there you are.

But then I still havent fully got the hang of this site yet ;-)
 soverncomfort
Msg: 19 (view)

Advice please ladies?
Posted: 5/10/2012 4:48:50 PM
Msg15 ......some people actually dont realise they have issues still unresolved until they get into talking about things. Its so simple to call her this and that without actually knowing her. As I've learnt from experience (and I knew the girl ....a really lovely girl), sometimes it doesnt hit you until something triggers it. In her case it was opening up to this guy.

She needs to sort herself out before moving on and if shes still here looking for dates, maybe you're right but I dont know her and neither do you. The only thing I do know is that life throws some real curveballs sometimes and is never straight forward.
 soverncomfort
Msg: 18 (view)

Advice please ladies?
Posted: 5/10/2012 3:38:39 PM
wow .....a lot of harsh replies here. But to be honest I agree with pandora0207. Ive been in a similar position with my last relationship though in some ways worse. We had been seeing each other for four months. She'd been treated very badly in the past and I was very understanding, had to tread carefully & did. I did manage to get her to talk about things a bit and over those four months we were very much in love. Then out of the blue, she ended it. It came down to the fact that she didnt realise how ****ed up she was until she met me and realised that men could be kind and decent. She had always thought that men cheating was par for the course and she was the one who had to accept it. We tried to stay close but she needed space and emotionally it was killing us so we have ceased contact. I will always be there as a friend when she's ready and can cope with that.

I could go into long details but basically, some people do have problems & life isnt as simple as others see it. People have to deal with different things and all you can do is try to be understanding.

Its quite feasible that talking about things shes not been able to talk about before, really made her think and in a way made her feel she wasnt ready. I think sending her a text and saying you hope she's ok, etc etc is a nice thing to do and then give her space. Then of course you dont know that she's going to contact you so I guess you do neeed to move on. If she contacts you and you're both in the right place (i.e. single) then meet up have a chat and see how she feels about things ....but yes, it does mean you may need to tread on egg shells a bit. It takes a certain sort of person to take it on ....understanding, etc.

Maybe im just too 'nice' or even gullible but unless you know someone you cant judge them. Simples.

good luck mate, Dan
 soverncomfort
Msg: 11 (view)

Sans child dating
Posted: 4/2/2012 12:49:53 PM
interesting reply ......fact is, I've dated women with children and I've taken it as read that ultimately their child will always come first and I've been happy to make that clear to the woman concerned. I've generally always got on well with the kids so it's not been an issue.

I guess further down the line when the relationship really develops especially where the children are grown up, there is more of an equality. Personally though, I woud find it surprising to go into a relationship and not expect to be placed second at best behind the woman's children, and probably behind parants, brothers & sisters as well.

Goes with the territory, that said, I dont have kids myself and don't tend to have an order of preference. It just doesn't crop up ....each to their own I guess.

I think when you reach a certain age, finding someone without children will always be harder which is prob why OP you've had many searches with zero results.
 soverncomfort
Msg: 141 (view)

'Babe', punctuation, and one-liners - what irritates you?
Posted: 4/2/2012 12:35:21 PM
At the end of the day its the message that counts. Everyone is different ....dont judge someone because they might start with the word 'hun'. I only use it with people who use it back, but off this site I guess it is mainly people i know.

Point is, take everything at face value ....if the guy seems pretty ok, interesting, etc ....it may be that he's worth getting to know then the 'hun' or 'babe' won't be so bad.

Spelling and chavvy messages bother me more. But even with spelling, is pretty easy to miss something.

People, people less judging and as i said earlier look at things as a package.

One guy said about women not writing the first message ...that does seem to be a common theme. Well thats your choice but s a tad frustrating. But you know, as I said and will always say dont judge on one word, one photo ....see things as they are in whole.

hmmmm think Ive made my point several times there ;-)

Show ALL Forums