Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton) random thoughts
 toonsmith
Msg: 17 (view)

Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton) random thoughts
Posted: 3/25/2010 1:57:51 PM
I do like the theme song that Danny Elfman composed for the film. There is an album called Almost Alice that has some interesting tracks. The soundtrack for Alice in Wonderland isn't half bad. Johnny does mumble some poetry while walking through the forest. Forunately, I remember how "Mimsy" went and I could follow along. There are some good moments upon repeated viewings.

I still think Ed Wood was one of Tim's best, followed by Edward Scissorhands. It would be nice for him to go back to original stories instead of remakes and adaptations.

...or team up with James Cameron for Avatar 2! ;)
 toonsmith
Msg: 13 (view)

Posted: 3/24/2010 2:43:34 PM
At least it's sort of original. I don't classify Tim Burton films as blockbusters, at least not on the scale of a Batman. With so many other actors and filmmakers with talent undiscovered, it would be to Tim's advantage to give them a shot.

I would hate to see Burton films become the generic happy meal supersized for movie goers. Who knows what interesting things Burton could do with others?

Depp has done the blockbuster bit. Do what George Clooney does and take some risks with interesting scripts instead of trying to find different ways of looking weird for the camera... or you will turn into Jim Carrey.
 toonsmith
Msg: 5 (view)

Kathryn Bigelow wins Academy Award, Why?
Posted: 3/20/2010 1:40:27 PM
There have been many women who held power in Hollywood through it's history.

Mary Pickford, Jean Harlow, even Walt Disney, early in his career, worked for a woman who distributed his cartoons. Hedda Hopper, movie columist, could make or break a career with her words. So I would have to humbly disagree with the view that women didn't have much influence in the world of film.

The Hurt Locker joins many other great films about miltary conflict. The Big Red One directed by Samuel Fuller, All Quiet on the Western Front...etc... I will always associate these titles by the impact of the story as told by the storyteller... not if they were a man or a woman.

Bigelow deserves the respect not because she is a female filmmaker, but because she made a great film. It has nothing to do with society destroying the diversity of genderhood, it was word of mouth that "hey... Hurt Locker is a great movie, go see it!"

Of course, now that I know Bigelow makes great movies, as a consumer looking for entertainment, she would be a choice for me to lay my money down at the ticket booth.

...cuz she sure knows how to blow things up real good! (tongue firmly in cheek)
 toonsmith
Msg: 3 (view)

Kathryn Bigelow wins Academy Award, Why?
Posted: 3/20/2010 12:19:32 PM
Male or female, war destroys.

I do not believe that The Hurt Locker is a woman's perspective of the current
conflict. A director's role is to tell a story. This director told a story, which is why this director won the academy award.

Gender had nothing to do with a well crafted professionally produced and directed movie.
 toonsmith
Msg: 11 (view)

Posted: 3/16/2010 11:58:55 AM
It wasn't bad. I thought it was well cast and there were some interesting moments.

Personally, Depp's performance is a distraction, as I sat there just thinking it was Depp in strange make-up rather than the character. The actress playing Alice was pretty good and held my interest through an uneven plot. It does seem that Tim Burton is in a bit of a slump career wise. I wasn't all that thrilled with his remake of Willie Wonka and his slamming of the original which I still thought was better.

But even after the travesty of the Planet of the Apes remake, I still check out anything that has the name Tim Burton stamped on it.

He still is a pretty creative and fascinating filmmaker who may yet have another great film in him. (Just don't make it with Depp and Elfman! ... Tim, move on! )
 toonsmith
Msg: 90 (view)

Are our musical tastes set by age 25?
Posted: 11/28/2009 2:26:32 PM
I don't think our musicial tastes are set by a certain age. I was as thrilled with Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden, as I was with Zep, Doors, and prog rock when I was in my teens.

I still get a thrill when discovering new artists, even if it's listening to the soundtrack of Twilight that my daughter plays over and over.

I can still listen to Zep. They weren't just a meaningless trend. They didn't even release all that many 45 singles either. But they do represent a bygone era on a personal level and sometimes it is hard to listen to Zep with fresh ears. Some memory always pushes through as to what I was doing at the time.

You can outgrow certain aspects of the music. I cringe at some of Robert Plant's early solo work.

Maybe my tastes are set by now. I do like revisiting the classics time and again. But I am waiting for that next big thing.
 toonsmith

How important was Brian Epstein?
Posted: 9/21/2009 5:54:58 PM
I wonder how far The Beatles would have gotten without Brian Epstein. They were drawing big crowds at The Cavern which then attracted his attention.

No doubt that he knew how to mix and socialize with the people who ran the music industry, but he sure didn't have a clue about the financial end...and neither did the Beatles themselves for that matter. Just look at the Apple situation.

The best decision they could have made to save their sanity was to hop off the tour/treadmill circuit and explore other interests and that's what they did.

Sadly, Brian didn't have anything to do anymore. One day he's the most important person to talk to on the tour and suddenly it's all over.

His once all important role in the Beatle universe is over.

That had to hurt.

The Beatles legend is filled with numerous tragic tales. Can you imagine how Pete Best, the original drummer felt watching Beatlemania? Or the guy who filled in as a drummer for a tour while Ringo was laid up in the hospital? Or even Ringo himself who was judged not good enough to drum on the recording session of "Love Me Do".

Like the Beatles said themselves... "You had to be a real **stard at times to be a Beatle."
 toonsmith

Defining generations post 1990
Posted: 9/8/2009 2:51:29 PM
Some pretty good definitions of generations, but maybe some wax nostaligic for a generation that may have been not so great?

1968 was a pretty scary year. Anyone with long hair got taunted or beat up in certain parts of the country. Trust no one under 30.

So maybe for the baby boomers, the motto is "Trust no one under 30"?

When you look at the labeling of each generation, one thought does come to mind.

We sure had a lot more fun in the 70's and 80's.

Bring back streaking!
 toonsmith
Msg: 39 (view)

When the Levy Breaks By: Led Zepplin thought to be related to hurricain Katrina???????????
Posted: 8/14/2009 11:25:23 AM
Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good,
Now, cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good,
When the levi's break, mama, you got to move.

Judging by how tight Robert's jeans used to be... many thought he was singing about his Levi's.

Lead singer of Loverboy does a cover of this song. His red spandex is pushing maximum density these days as he sings " Turn me loose!"
 toonsmith
Msg: 646 (view)

Why do so many people seem to hate cops?
Posted: 7/8/2009 7:42:12 AM
Some areas actually try to do something. This is a program where cops get training. The Crisis Intervention Team, CIT. It's plain that in the video where the cop is just yelling at a very confused woman, that he has NO training or empathy and he is mishandling the situation. The original violation was going too fast and he unprofessional escalated it into the use of brute force.

To serve and protect. Otherwise, go work security at the Mall. We, the public want professionism and TRAINED officers who know how to handle all sectors of the general public, from the mentally ill, to minorites, to people just plain scared of the police who see these videos. We don't need bad cops. We need professional law enforcement officers who take their oaths seriously and don't abuse the very people they are hired to serve and protect. That's the bottom line.

To serve and protect, not scream and taze someone because you are having a bad day.

CIT - Crisis Intervention Team

The volume of calls to the Memphis Police Department from family members of mentally ill people in crisis has increased steadily since the CIT program began in 1988. Families tend to involve police earlier, too. "Before the CIT program, families were reluctant to call the police because they didn't know what to expect, and our officers often came into the situation with a maximum level of fear and misunderstanding," he said. "With CIT training, our officers are much more knowledgeable, and that makes them much more confident. That informed, understanding approach has a lot to do with promoting a good outcome for the call."

"What families with mentally ill relatives are most concerned about, and the reason many of them hesitate to call police into a crisis-they're afraid their family member or someone else will be hurt or killed during a police intervention," said Beth Melcher, Ph.D., executive director of NC AMI. "Unfortunately, that happens all too often."

'Mental Illness is Not a Crime'

Today the Memphis Police Department receives an average of nearly 20 calls per day involving a mentally ill person. In response, the dispatcher sends the closest CIT officer to the scene. Team members from each precinct are available 24 hours a day.

Before being sent on calls involving a mentally ill person in crisis, CIT officers take a 40-hour course developed jointly by the police department, the Memphis Alliance for the Mentally Ill, area mental health care providers and researchers at the University of Memphis and the University of Tennessee. "The course helps officers understand that mental illness is not a crime, but a disease," said Cochran.

"People in a psychological crisis are not thinking and feeling the same way other people do. That's the nature of their illness," explained Melcher. "If police arrive with sirens wailing and guns drawn and try to reason with or subdue someone who is extremely paranoid and frightened, it's not going to work. "But if the officers at the scene understand mental illness and know how to help the person in crisis feel calm and safe, the situation has a much better chance for a good outcome."

We can't have unprofessional police officers ready to taze someone because they are not responding fast enough, or pull over ambulances and put EMT's in chokeholds.
Defending any of these cops in these situations is ridiculous.
 toonsmith
Msg: 24 (view)

Musical Guilty Pleasures
Posted: 7/7/2009 11:33:51 AM
Yes, after MJ's exit, I did decide to pick up a few MJ albums... really dunno why?

I like some of the brief fad bands that came and went during the 80's.

The Safety Dance!... "You can dance if you want to!"

Men at Work - It's a Mistake

Even "I Ran So Far Away" by A Flock of Seagulls.

My musical guilty pleasure that even I can't figure out why, is an interest in a zeppelin clone band from the 80's called Kingdom Come. They still put out albums in Europe and I still keep buying them. I love them... no one else I know does, but I love them.

Yes to Abba.. great to clean house too.
 toonsmith
Msg: 620 (view)

Posted: 7/6/2009 11:28:03 AM
Another example of why people hate cops... this video.

Both are in the wrong. He is way too aggressive and his words are as if he is a tough bully.

Pretty tough words against a woman going five miles too fast and not responding fast enough for his taste. Bad cops like this need to be taken off active duty. Period.

With videos like this circulating, it's no wonder the public has a fearful view of those who are supposed to serve and protect.
 toonsmith
Msg: 611 (view)

Posted: 7/4/2009 10:48:31 PM
Why do so many people seem to hate cops?....

well, check out the video on youtube where the Oklahoma State Trooper pulled over an ambulance for failing to yield fast enough for him.... never mind that they were taking a patient to the hospital and he was flipping out in a rage against the startled EMT's.

The video is frightening as they put a chokehold on the EMT while the patient lays in pain and the family members look on in horror. The video is astonishing.

...and you wonder why people seem to hate cops?
 toonsmith
Msg: 4 (view)

Eyes Wide Shut: quite possibly the most misunderstood movie of all-time?
Posted: 7/2/2009 8:13:47 AM
Eyes Wide Shut.... I scratch my head on that one. I'm a huge Kubrick fan and we studied his work in film class at USC many years ago. I can remember getting really excited when this came out. A Kubrick film was an event.

But this one.... erg.

I didn't get it. My eyes were wide shut and my head hurt.

I still don't get it. I don't see beauty in this film. I just see staged vagueness and a disconnected plot on life support. I just found it creepy and tedious and it didn't entertain me on any level. ( But I bet David Lynch loved it!)

Clockwork Orange
Full Metal Jacket
Dr. Strangelove

Heck, the uneven but still enjoyable The Shining works.... but this one was a misfire.

Too bad he didn't go through with A.I. - Artificial Intelligence instead of doing this. Now that would have been another Kubrick classic.
 toonsmith

Karl Malden, dead at 97
Posted: 7/1/2009 8:25:36 PM
Great actor and wonderful human being.

A nice long life. Wow, 97 years.

I remember Karl Malden from many hours sitting indian style in front of our old RCA television set and watching The Streets of San Francisco every week. Cool Stuff!

I also remember some other memorable roles of Karl Malden. He was totally evil as the bad guy in Marlon Brando's One Eyed Jacks. He was even good in crap movies like Meteor and the 2nd Posideon Adventure flick that had Michael Caine and Sally Fields and was just terrible! LOL

Great guy, great movie memories and a great life until 97.... who could ask for more?
 toonsmith
Msg: 12 (view)

Michael Jackson dies in LA
Posted: 6/25/2009 6:05:06 PM
The sudden death is a bit unbelievable... and I mean that literally.

Okay, sounds like a kooky conspiracy and it's more a thought than anything. But what a way to bail himself out of financial troubles and get out of doing a tour that he wasn't ready for. I think back to Elvis and how he made more money dead than alive. His back catalogue sold for millions. What is Michael Jackson's music gonna be worth now that he's...um, gone? (just a thought)

Good music, weird dude, bad behavior...

... and a reminder that however big you are... we all gotta go sometime.
 toonsmith
Msg: 126 (view)

was kurt kobain very clever?
Posted: 5/20/2009 3:06:11 PM
I was at the right place and the right time just sitting by my radio the day they first played Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit". Myself and many others were blown away by this song and many people called in to the radio stations wanting to know and hear more.

This was driven by the listeners. They put it into heavy rotation because of the listeners.

THEN the good PR people went to work.

Sorry, it doesn't start and stop where you decide. Nirvana's music spoke to the disenfranchised. They connected with people much like themselves and they never expected to be as big as they were. That is the brilliant part.

They reached their audience with that certain connection and comparing that connection to the pre-packaged Disney Hannah Montana machinery just shows ignorance to that generation's artistry which many found that they could relate to.

The audience (me included) discovered Nirvana and that led to some great bands that followed.

Slagging them and Kurt Cobain doesn't make anyone look clever or brilliant... just mean spirited and maybe a bit envious?
 toonsmith
Msg: 15 (view)

Your biggest mistake as an artist?
Posted: 4/14/2009 10:42:50 PM
Trusting the wrong people. If you hear anyone actually say "Trust Me" ... run away as fast as you can! I've been screwed out of money for work done so many times.

Bad contracts and too many "freebie" jobs for the sake of a resume in the early daze. LOL

Biggest mistake was not enough school and too much "sightseeing" while living in Los Angeles in the early 80's. But then, I was a geeky greenhorn in the big city and everything sparkled in La La Land at the time.

School is very important. Draw, Film, Read and Discuss as much as you can. Look up professionals in whatever field you want to pursue and ask them questions! I even wrote to Stanley Kubrick, one of my favorite film directors, and I got an answer back. I was thrilled. He was looking at head shots for actors for his film Full Metal Jacket. Unfortunately, he would be shooting over in England, so nothing came of it. But I still have the letter.

One mistake that I corrected after working as an "extra" on a few films, was staying put and out of the way on location. I'm sure Assistant Directors hate hearing that, but it's true.

I wanted to be seen, so I wandered over to where the camera crew was, instead of the catering wagon, and I was chosen while standing around the set and watching to be in the background and behind the main actor. I wish I had done this a few films sooner?
 toonsmith
Msg: 9 (view)

Cat Stevens / Yusuf Islam
Posted: 3/26/2009 11:54:15 AM
I stand corrected. I googled and you are right.

I also read that the Muslim population is growing and the Christian population is shrinking.

By 2035, there will be about 1.96 million active Muslims in Britain, compared with 1.63 million church-going Christians, according to calculations by Christian Research, a think- tank.

If Cat Stevens found happiness in converting to the Muslim faith, more power to him. That's his personal happiness and I can respect that he spent many years seeking answers on his personal journey. I still listen to the old records. I was happy to see him on Live 8 performing and it showed that he still existed as a formidable talent AND as Yusuf.

I do not believe we are all the same and feel alike. The stats shown display that millions of people have very different beliefs. It would be great if we all got together in a group hug and there was peace in the world. But it ain't gonna happen. Our global differences are too extreme. It is my view that organized religion seeks to conquer and it causes more harm than good.

An Arab teenager in another country can have a Madonna poster and watch American Idol, but still say Anti-American slogans like "Down with America" as demonstrated on a recent 60 minutes episode. Is this an example or a sweeping generalization?

Since this is a thread on Cat Stevens and not a debate on the pros and cons of the Muslim faith, I'll stick to that and hum "Trouble" as I surf.

Peace sells but who's buying.
 toonsmith
Msg: 8 (view)

Posted: 3/25/2009 9:29:44 PM
I would have to politely disagree on a few counts. "They live as we do." Not exactly true.

The Muslim population that live in England and other countries want to introduce their own systems of law and bypass that countries Judical system. There is a large segment that do NOT want to live as we do, because that goes against their belief system, yet they live in other countries. The Muslim population across the globe is much larger than the world's Christian population and the Koran does push "convert or die" types of ideals.

I have no doubt that Cat Stevens is a very peaceful and religious man who has done great things for others....but.

Cat Stevens did condone the death ordered by the Iranian Government who wanted Salmon Rushie dead for writing a book. (a man writing a BOOK!)

But that doesn't stop me from listening to his music and respecting him on several other things. I actually very much enjoy his music. Many still do. But I don't believe for a second, a black and white picture of them versus us. When it comes to the crimes against humanity and all in the name of God... no one is innocent. History is always repeating itself.

You should read the comics and the magazines that slag the Jewish people and the State of Israel overseas. It is common practice. You should read the editorials on the LACK of anything bad being said by the general muslim population regarding the 1 percent action by the fanaticals. Muslim websites repeatedly have failed to condemn these actions. They remain silent.

Organized religion is the worst thing that has ever happened to mankind. Muslims have killed in the name of Allah, and Christians have killed in the name of God. It doesn't matter what percentage are fantatics. They are out there nonetheless and always will be.

You can't paint a picture so black and white and say they live as we do. It just isn't so. Two different worlds, two different belief systems proclaiming they alone are the way.

...and the song that will be played at the end of days.... Peace Train by Cat Stevens.
 toonsmith
Msg: 2 (view)

ANOTHER REMAKE? This time its The Duke aka True Grit.
Posted: 3/23/2009 6:01:53 PM
Tommy Lee Jones could certainly handle it... but haven't we seen him do variations of those kinds of roles before?

I'd like to see some lesser known actors step up.

The actor who plays the Cylon second in command to Commander Adama...the actor's name is Michael Hogan, I think?

As far as established stars...

Tom Selleck
Kurt Russell
Bruce Willis... as long as he doesn't sing?

I would suggest Mel... but he's been too preoccupied with S & M in his films lately. I don't want True Grit to turn into a Mel Gibson snuff film... True Gritty?

Heck, Arnold... didn't he do a western with Kirk Douglas years ago? I can see agents abuzz on the phones.... "Baby, team up Arnold with Dakota Fanning and you got box office GOLD!"
 toonsmith
Msg: 12 (view)

Final episode of Battlestar Galactica
Posted: 3/23/2009 3:15:31 PM
Illogical.....

There is no Prime Directive in the Unwonderful world of Battlestar Galactica.

Furthermore, the nice peaceful long line of people walking along in total agreement on this one man's decision, goes against everything we've seen in previous episodes?

There were rebellions, trials, betrayal... and suddenly we are all in agreement to go against man's self-preservation instinct and discard all of our tech to become ... The Flintstones?

Hunting and picking berries... not for long. Part of the reason the lifespan of early man was so brief, was because it was very difficult to hunt and pick day after day. Hmm, a shelter made from parts of a spacecraft...or a twig house with leafs?

It just wasn't thought out. But then, I'd settle for the couple of years that the shows were great. All good things come to an end. I enjoyed it.

But the last episode still sucked. LOL
 toonsmith

The Pumpkins
Posted: 3/21/2009 10:03:31 AM
That's actually a pretty valid statement.

His success is irrelevant if he is still producing art. I am all for Billy Corgan doing what he does best and he is very good at it. But I do think that he does care about the number of people that he can reach and using the name Smashing Pumpkins when he is the only original member, is pretty obvious.

With James, Jimmy and the gal whose name I have forgotten, there was a certain magic that you can see is missing when they all went solo. When they are all together, that magic has a name.... Smashing Pumpkins.

I'd feel different and have a bit more respect if Billy just called it Corgan, Zwan or anything else. The name Pumpkins sells and that is why he is using it.

Other than than, though... I'd still buy. :)
 toonsmith

Final episode of Battlestar Galactica
Posted: 3/21/2009 12:23:18 AM
Wow, for the most part I thought it sucked?

Why do we get this "Dark Tower" ending in Battlestar...time in a loop until we get it right syndrome?.... and the ending with the President and Adama sitting there watching deer graze... didn't anyone see Kevin Costner riding by on a horse and doing that Dances with Wolves pose with his arms flailing, head back and eyes closed, ride by in the distance? (Now THAT would have been a great metaphor for how bad the show had gotten.. I needed a score card to keep up with Boomer 1#... Boomer 2#...etc)

This season sucked. They should have packed it in a couple of seasons ago. Now stay tuned for Battlestar Galacticia - The Plan... and Caprica.

I feel a bit conned tonight.

Suddenly the bad guy appears on the bridge of the Galactica... couldn't anyone see the dude with the Blackberry pounding at it and yelling Ziggy?

I dunno. Parts of it I liked (cool CGI) ... a lot of parts I didn't.... one guy sez let's go back to the Stone Age, do it with hairy cave chicks and aim our beds, toilets, showers and transportation into the sun?

Riiiiiight.
 toonsmith
Msg: 14 (view)

The Pumpkins
Posted: 3/20/2009 9:04:47 PM
That's actually pretty sad.

Jimmy's drumming is as much a part of The Smashing Pumpkins sound as Corgan's guitar playing. It has that jazz feel to it.

With just Corgan, it's Smashing Pumpkins in name only and a cheap sellout to sell more product. Yes, he wrote and contributed the most to the band, but did you see how successful (not) he was without the rest of the other Pumpkins?

You better choose your side musicians wisely, Billy. Zwan didn't exactly set the world on fire?
 toonsmith

Posted: 3/18/2009 2:00:46 PM
I really liked Cat Stevens for the longest time. But I thought he lost his mind when he endorsed the fatwa on Salmon Rushdie that was ordered by the Iran Government.

I thought this guy was gone. Pity, I really admired him and especially loved the work he did on the soundtrack to Harold and Maude.

I downloaded his Muslim singing, or whatever you would call it. Bad experience. He sounded like a sick cow in it's death throes. Oh well. I thought.

But suprise, suprise... Cat Stevens appeared on Live 8 a few years back and he performed a lot of his old hits note for note. There were even a few new songs, so this indicated that he was coming back in some fashion. I was glad to see him not completely gone and enjoying sharing his talent once again (that some supreme being gave him)

I don't know what he is doing now. But it would be interesting to google and find out.

Interesting man.
 toonsmith

Under appreciated Thin Lizzy ?
Posted: 3/14/2009 3:52:48 PM
Then you wouldn't remember all the other great songs on the Greatest Hits album.

They were a great band. They formed around 1969 and had most of their hits in the UK. The band started to fizzle in the early 80's with Phil's drug problems. He was certainly an interesting character. Not many bands fronted by a black Irishman with his talent. Too bad he passed away so young. Thin Lizzy could have been huge without his drug addiction.

That twin guitar sound really rocked on the AM radios of the day.

Check out The Cowboy Song... Jailbreak.... Black Rose... and so many others.

There is a lot more to Thin Lizzy than "The Boys are Back in Town."
 toonsmith

watchmen--yes, the movie
Posted: 3/11/2009 11:43:24 AM
I saw the midnight showing and I was pretty zonked by the time it started to wrap up at nearly three hours? They could have trimmed it a bit without hurting it.

But I was entertained. I didn't know a thing about this movie. Apparently, neither did the parents bringing children to an R rated movie and complaining about all the violence?

What, did they think this was going to be like an X-men movie?

Overall, fascinating (and brutal) world that the filmmakers and writers have conjured up. Not exactly my cup of tea, but I enjoyed it. Just not a big fan.

Roger Ebert has a great journal about this film and talks with movie buffs in great detail about quantum physics. Heck, the reviews of this film are just as fascinating at the movie itself?
 toonsmith
Msg: 31 (view)

U2
Posted: 2/22/2009 11:35:46 PM
It's interesting with all the expections of such a long lasting band, that they can suprise us even after all these years? I say bravo.

I can live with a couple of dud tracks in exchange for some that just simply blow me away? That is the interesting thing about songs that mystify and intrigue you on the first listen.

You get hooked and listen to them again and again, discovering new and interesting musicial ideas. What an journey!

This is one of those albums. After I've paid attention to the great fretwork, vocals and rhythm section, I'll pay some atttention to the lyrics..... there is a lot to chew over. I love that!

Some great music by some classic rock acts this year. It sure brings a smile to this old fan.
 toonsmith
Msg: 29 (view)

U2
Posted: 2/21/2009 9:14:22 PM
I would have to say that the first two songs that were released early were nothing special. I fast forward through them to get to the good stuff. It's not an album that jumps out suddenly at you.... meaning, it's not like Joshua Tree. It's not a safe album ready for predicted marketability either?

To me, it sounds like musicians finding a groove and satisfying themselves musically? It's not earth shattering, nor will it be as revolutionary as something like "Pet Sounds". But it is good and multilayered. The more I listen, the more I enjoy.

A tough one to recommend though? I just personally like it and it's just not like the other U2 albums.

That, in itself, is very refreshing.
 toonsmith
Msg: 28 (view)

U2
Posted: 2/19/2009 11:21:01 PM
The new album has been leaked. I just listened to it.

Moment of Surrender is my favorite track so far. The only way that I can really describe it.. This music has soul. It sounds like they played for themselves and we the world, are invited to listen.

Some of these tracks are very mellow and understated. I like the direction they took. We didn't need another anthem rouser. This is the band taking chances and I doubt this will be a huge million seller... even though it's U2?

This is a CD that takes multiple listens, and each time I listen, it grows more on me. It's multilayered, understated and fascinating? There are beautiful guitar solos by the Edge that twist and intertwine with the melody. It's just good guitar work that impresses.

The more I listen.. the more I like.

This could be possibly one of the best U2 albums since Unforgettable Fire.
 toonsmith

To Go Back To School... Or Not?
Posted: 2/13/2009 8:26:37 AM
I decided to go back to school. I confess that it feels awkward being the oldest student in the class and it is a struggle to keep up with all the assignments. But it feels good to be learning new skills and pushing oneself instead of being in a rut?

I feel more alive and on the cutting edge of things. People in school talk about what is going on in the world. They talk about issues, art and things technical. A far cry from gossip around the water cooler and who's doing who?

Financial aid was easier to get than I thought.

I guess it depends on what kind of classes and what you want to do, to figure out how it will help in the long run... that and sitting down with an advisor at your school. They have great insight and they specialize in helping displaced workers in the community.

Advisors in my school have helped a lot of loggers retrain and go in different directions now that logging isn't the big job bank in our neck of the woods anymore.

Maybe you could test the waters with one class or two for a quarter?
 toonsmith

Robert Plant not wanting to do Led Zeppelin material.
Posted: 1/29/2009 9:28:00 PM
Robert Plant had his fill singing the same Zep songs after two tours with Jimmy Page. It was at the Paris concert where they appeared with many modern bands like Radiohead and Plant was disgusted that he was up there singing Black Dog and nothing new. Plant split shortly thereafter. He wanted to be fresh and hip, not singing a twenty eight year old song.

The reunion concert was a tribute to an old friend.

But you are right that there is a bit of hard feelings between Plant and Jones. Jones was never involved much with the other band member's illicit activities. Plant was angry at Jones for having the attitude of "bring us your lovely money" when he saw large crowds gather for Zeppelin.

.. and yes, Plant cannot hit the high notes like he used to.

I went to several Plant solo concerts. It never failed that there would be some bozo in the crowd complaining that he wanted to hear "Stairway to Heaven".

Me, I am satisfied that I already saw Zeppelin.... as Page/Plant during the 90's. I have the bootlegs, the memories, and not much of a desire to hear Black Dog once again.

Time to bow out gracefully.
 toonsmith

Favorite 007 film?
Posted: 1/9/2009 12:49:15 PM
My personal favorite is The Man with the Golden Gun.

It was my favorite as a kid and I saw it many times. I love the soundtrack as well.

Christopher Lee as the gentleman assassin adversary against stiff upper lip Bond was a case of perfect casting.

I can remember being so excited when they announced Brosnon as Bond all those years ago. Unfortunately, he turned out to be a bit of a letdown?

Casino Royale is a close second. Daniel Craig turned out to be quite a pleasant suprise. I look forward to years of even better Bond.

He brings a bit of the old Connery flavor back into the franchise and I like that.

toonsmith
Msg: 95 (view)

Movies to never rent....
Posted: 1/9/2009 10:53:18 AM
I still have a bad taste left over from viewing Eagle Eye.

It started out promising..... and just turned into total crap. Two hours of my life wasted on this. I learned my lesson though.... 15 minutes into The Day The Earth Stood Still and I quickly reached for the remote.... click!

...and then wasted a few hours on Halo Wars!
 toonsmith

Unreleased Jimmy Page Riff to be unleashed!
Posted: 1/9/2009 10:50:03 AM
There is hope. They are jamming together in the studio. I agree on retiring the name Led Zeppelin.

Plant just isn't interested and it's not Zep without him.

Which makes one ponder on a name?......

Riff Raff
PJB
The Three Amigos?
Zed Lep?
Hear n Aid
Mofo Zoso?
Hammer of the Clogs?
For a Few Dollars More

It doesn't matter... whatever these guys do, it will be bought. So guys, whatever you are doing, do it quick and build that field of schemes....

If you play it, they will come.
 toonsmith

Conor Oberst and Bright Eyes
Posted: 12/24/2008 10:38:03 PM
Okay, I found some stuff on Conor Oberst..... and forget the stupid comment about comparing him to Bob Dylan and Tom Petty. I'm old and grasping for straws here.

Check out this funny bit on Conor Oberst...

http://www.nerve.com/screeningroom/music/conoroberst/

1. You can't walk five feet anymore without someone going nuts about Conor Oberst. Just today the girl at the bagel shop called him "the next Bob Dylan," and my mailman said he was "blown away" by his "trenchant, gut-wrenching lyrics that make him seem like a precocious mix of Joan Baez and Leonard Cohen."

2. Okay, I'm making up the thing about the mailman, but still. People won't shut up about the guy.

3. I have to admit it: I'm having a tough time getting on the bandwagon. I think he's pretty inspiring as a story, genuinely decent as a human being, and he's got a neat haircut, but he strikes me as a bit of a guitar-pounder who never met a lyric he couldn't overwrite, and you can find a lot of those at an open mike near you. Something tells me without the neat haircut, he'd just be Conor, the guy serving me a Mochaccino in Omaha.

4. I feel evil saying these things. I mean, pop music is truly terrible. We should be bending over backwards to thank guys like Conor Oberst for existing. Who would we rather have, Ashlee Simpson?

5. I mean, really, it's probably just me. I can't handle young genius of any kind. I'm a huge jerk. Really.

6. Still, if some guy showed up at your house party and started playing heart-tugging songs like Conor Oberst does, you'd be like, "Who is this clown?"

7. Which is to say: musical genius is all about the context. Put Conor Oberst on Austin City Limits and it's like, "Wow, guy's a genius." Put him on the subway, and it's like, "Shut up, dude! I'm trying to read Harry Potter."

8. I'm probably just envious. Conor Oberst has done more by the age of twenty-four than I'd do with five lifetimes. When I was twenty-four I spent most of my time trying to watch porn on scrambled cable channels.
 toonsmith
Msg: 1 (view)

Conor Oberst and Bright Eyes
Posted: 12/24/2008 9:44:46 PM
There are rare moments in my life where I have been thunderstruck while listening to music.

My first vinyl record ELO - Out of the Blue

The day I bought Led Zeppelin Zoso and Houses of the Holy home from the store (and the teenage cashier behind the counter saying how blown away I was going to be?)

Discovering Yes and Progressive Rock and sitting by the record player...for hours.

The day Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit first played on the radio and I was...... WTF?

and two nights ago when this artist unknown to me... by the name of.....Conor Oberst played on a late night talk show.

Normally, most of the bands (in my humble opinion) that play on these late night talk shows... just suck? I usually lose interest about a minute into the song and I head for the fridge for munchies. Conor Oberst and his band.... quite a few members actually... packed the stage and looked loaded for bear. (Lot's of instruments up there)

I chuckled. There was a second guy on guitar that reminded me of Keith Richard's during his "No Expectations" acoustic period. I would give this a shot and let the snacks wait...for just a few seconds.

Then they played a song called "Cape Canaveral"......

The guy sounded like a cross between Bob Dylan and Tom Petty and the song was...beautiful. It turns out this guy has been around the indie circuit for awhile and has many albums under the band name Bright Eyes.

They should have used this music for Twilight.

Bright Eyes - Easy, Lucky, Free...... WOW.

This is great music and I encourage everyone to investigate. You won't be sorry. This blows a lot of what is on the air away.

toonsmith
Msg: 9 (view)

Most liked/disliked bar music
Posted: 12/23/2008 10:27:10 PM
If I never hear Loverboy, The Romantics, Joan Jett screaming about rock and roll.... and John Cougar Mellonhead singing about little pink houses....I'd be a very happy toon.

I remember sitting in a bar listening to the local house band mangle Stairway to Heaven onstage. Another band (Raven) came walking in and they were asked to play a tune or two....

That was quite an experience to hear such a professional band just blow away the house band like that.

The only song I never get tired of hearing .... in a bar or otherwise....

Thin Lizzy - The Boys Are Back In Town
 toonsmith

Let it SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 12/23/2008 10:01:51 PM
We've had about 40 inches in various parts of our county. I like the snow. I just don't like not having mail service, garbage service and the threat of blinking lights to remind me how cold it can get if the power goes out?

People are stuck at bus stations, train stations and airports.

I've never understood why airports just don't set aside some space for overnight passengers stuck for a day or two, and build them some temporary shelter....cots, food, blankets?

What kind of business wants their potential future customers laying around like smelly vagabonds? (I prefer the train myself)

It's pretty. I don't mind it. This is weather we get about every 40 years. But I may change my tune if this just keeps going on....and on....and on.

Hmm, maybe I'll go outside and make a couple of snowmen....trying to kill each other?
 toonsmith
Msg: 75 (view)

HOW DO YOU GUYS FEEL ABOUT NANCY GRACE..DO SHE COME OFF TO STRONG?
Posted: 12/15/2008 10:53:39 PM
I think Nancy Grace is a loud mouthed insensitive media whore.

But.... I watch her all the time? She is the most annoying bully that just gets under my skin. I find her phony as hell and her voice grates on me like fingers on a chalkboard....

But...I also watch O'Reilly, and he has the same effect on me?

Kudos goes to Nancy Grace for consistantly following this Anthony case. If it weren't for the media glare she singlehandedly put on this tragic circumstance, it might have just been swept under the rug?

Yes, it's tabloid trash entertainment, but it's also....... dare I say it?..... entertainment?

At least some good comes out of what Nancy Grace does, and resolution regarding this case which will come very soon... balances out the annoying aspects of a very scary woman? LOL

I know I will keep watching.
 toonsmith
Msg: 56 (view)

Movies to never rent....
Posted: 12/9/2008 8:30:00 PM
Eddie Murphy.....

There was a time when Eddie could do no wrong... then...

Pluto Nash
Norbit
Holy Man
I-Spy
Meet Dave
Haunted Mansion
Daddy Day Care
Showtime

Bleah....

I wonder who called the POF Spellchecker police on me for hitting the E instead of the U in "Keanu Reeves?"....???

and I will amend my "off topic" comment concerning Darby O Gill and the Little People?

Movies never to rent...... Darby O Gill and the Little People.....just go ahead and buy it!
 toonsmith

Intermittent explosive disorder
Posted: 12/8/2008 10:30:31 PM
Considering the complexity of the human brain and how it's wired... not hard to imagine there are disorders like this.

I've heard of soldiers coming back from overseas and their spouses saying how much they've changed and they aren't the same person as they once were? Tragically, there have been soldiers that have lost it and murdered members of their family.

How does one explain "road rage" coming from ordinary people who never display any kind of aggressive behavior?

How many times have we watched people on television being interviewed after a tragedy and saying " I don't understand it... He was always such a nice boy?"

The human brain and it's neurotransmitters.... capable of anything.
 toonsmith

Things that make you feel good at Christmas
Posted: 12/8/2008 7:04:18 PM
Classic Christmas music never fails.

Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, and so many others...

Turning on the cable and seeing classic Christmas movies.... Christmas Story, Christmas Carol, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation... and my new favorite... Larry the Cable Guy's 2nd Annual Christmas Special on CMT.

It warms my heart to know that these classics will last as long as Grandma's fruitcake...which annually gets passed around and never eaten?

Hooray for traditions... and seeing It's a Wonderful Life for the millionth time....and liking it?

Ahhhhhh.....Grandma will always get run over by a reindeer, and I will always puzzle to the attraction of chipmunk's on speed caroling, and John Lennon will once again reach from beyond and musically remind us ... "so this is Christmas.... another year over, a new one just begun..."

What makes me feel good is that for one month out of the year... we try to be nice to each other?

...and that eggnog will still make me hurl.

Ah, tradition!
 toonsmith
Msg: 82 (view)

O.J. Simpson Found Guilty On All Counts
Posted: 12/8/2008 5:00:03 PM
O.J. did it to himself.

He will sit in a small confined cell and have plenty of time to think about what he did. No matter WHAT the sentence... this falls under the catagory of "What the hell was I thinking?"

No. The property was not his. He knew that. The lawyers knew that. The Judge knew that. We, who kept awake while watching Court TV knew that?

You just don't go barging into hotel rooms with guns drawn and a posse of questionable characters like that.... DUH!

I felt no sympathy when he pleaded with the judge and remarked that he once sang with the children.... now it's time for a chorus of "I fought the law, and the law won".

You know, back in the day, OJ used to appear in Hertz rent a car ads.....

Ah, memories..... Hey OJ, Better times.... Hertz don't it?
 toonsmith
Msg: 174 (view)

stupid things that scare you
Posted: 12/7/2008 1:25:37 AM
Crazy pitched laughter
Glassy eyed missionaries that come to my door.
Nancy Grace
Hannity on Fox
No plastic toilet seat covers in public restrooms.
Listening to the voice of Sarah Palin.
Opening up bills.
Clowns (see Hannity)
Ugly Babies in public
Air Bags
Seat Belts that automatically wrap themselves up over you?
Having blood work done.
Larry The Cable Guy Movies
George Bush
Buying the occasional Playboy at the grocery store.
Buying the occas....rarely.... nevermind.

Wondering if I have enough to cover a debit card charge at Walmart?

Wondering if my shirt tail is hanging out of my lowered zipper area once again at Starbucks while watching a pretty girl laugh in my direction?

Wondering if I put that red towel in with my whites again?

Wondering if I really tightened those lug nuts as well as I should have?

Scared about doing so much....wondering?

I'm not paranoid.... much.
 toonsmith

What will be the next big trend in music?
Posted: 12/7/2008 12:30:05 AM
I predict that the next big trend in music will be something that the masses will need to get their minds off the dire and impending economic news of the world.

The country tried to ignore the depression with big bands, Fred and Ginger, and a catchy little tune "Who's Afraid Of The Big Bad Wolf?"

That's when the entertainment world make the biggest bucks... when things are bad?

So.... novelty songs.... Abba.... maybe a cross hybred like electronica/easy listening....

(trance versions of The Association singing "Cherish"?)

Maybe classicial music will be re-marketed to a new generation ala what Edward G Robinson was listening to when he was being put to sleep at the end of the film "Soylent Green"?

Ah, a trend.... Soylent music! The Soy Generation..... and Weird Al singing "It's not easy...being green?"
 toonsmith
Msg: 28 (view)

If you could meet anyone
Posted: 12/7/2008 12:03:12 AM
If I could meet anyone.... well, isn't that the point of even being on POF?.... to meet someone.... that special someone?.... someone with a higher voice than me?

Naturally, we all want to meet a lot of the famous actors that have grabbed our imagination through the years. But they don't share the same perspective as us? We see them in the characters they portray... but to them.... lines in a script and blocked movements? (not to mention, just a paycheck?)

I'd like to meet Sean Connery. But he's heard the praises and platitudes a million times?

(I wonder how ticked he would be if I asked him what the hell he was thinking when he made Zardoz, Meteor, and The Avengers?)

Actually, and I don't mean this in an egotisical way.... I would think it facinating to meet....

Me?

If I could jump into a time machine at certain periods in my life and meet a younger me... and warn him! (How odd it would be to observe yourself in person?)
 toonsmith
Msg: 41 (view)

Movies to never rent....
Posted: 12/4/2008 6:51:16 PM
Ah, then fans would love the Director's Cut - Dracula - Brain Dead And Loving It?

(Yes, it succeeds in being very dumb, I totally agree!)

I prefer the Mel Brooks Magic in Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein. (Now those films were funny!) This flick was Community Theatre/High School Drama Club funny.

Keane Reeves with his Surfer Dude accent in Francis Ford's version of Dracula was funnier?

Brooks could always re-do it? Dracula - Fangs for the Memories

Leslie Neilson ..... I forgot one movie .... (Never Rent This)

Mr. Magoo! (and if anyone likes THIS movie, here's your sign. ;)

Darby O' Gill and the Little People was awesome.
 toonsmith
Msg: 39 (view)

Movies to never rent....
Posted: 12/4/2008 3:35:29 AM
Dracula - Dead and Loving It

One of the last nails in the coffin for Mel Brook's career. (Cloris Leachman sings!)

Men in Tights - absolute torture and below the belt agony.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being... turned into the Unbearable Lightness of WATCHING!

I think I mentioned this one earlier... The Crow 2.... the world does not need extreme close-up of Iggy Pop's face?

There are also a few films of some really great actors that you should avoid at all costs.

Gene Hackman is one of our finest actors, but his french foreign legion flick of 1977 called March or Die.... had the nickname "Watch and Die" for good reason?

Never, never, under any circumstances, even think about renting Ishtar, Hudson Hawk or Town and Country.... you WILL claw your eyes out in sheer agony!

ANYTHING by Jerry Lewis?

Senseless sequels...

The Sting 2
Smokey and the Bandit 2 and 3
Slapshot 2 and 3
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation 2 (featuring Eddie!)
Predator 2
Caddyshack 2
Halloween 2
Jaws 2
Exorcist 2
Airplane 2
The Black Stallion 2
Poltergeist 2
Men in Black 2
Meatballs 2
Grease 2
Saturday Night Fever 2
American Graffiti 2
Blues Brothers 2 (John Goodman)
Death Wish 2
Cyborg 2
Universal Soldier 2
Rocky 2
The Odd Couple 2
Oh God : Book 2
Jungle 2 Jungle
Peter Pan 2
Jungle Book 2

Come to think of it.... all the direct to DVD Disney sequels SUCK!

That "2" means the kiss of death!!!

Show ALL Forums