Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Would you be put off by..
 icarusi
Msg: 36 (view)

Would you be put off by..
Posted: 5/31/2013 4:07:43 PM
For me it's the jobs which have irregular hours, shift work, lots of travel etc. so I know I would have to be fitting in with a moving target for getting together. It's not a complete deal breaker but given the choice of equals, I'd favour the one with the one location and regular hours.
 icarusi
Msg: 9 (view)

Ignorance is bliss
Posted: 5/30/2013 4:39:21 PM
That's interesting. I'm fairly laid back so give a lot of rope but if someone does push it too far I am likely to bear a grudge. I don't go into a permanent huff, but that person is relegated to the 'B' list forever, unless I think they've since proved themselves trustworthy. Until then I'd only give a reserved recommendation if asked.

I know some blow quickly hot & cold. Last week 'thick as thieves' this week 'sworn enemies' and vice versa the week after. I knew one woman who seemed to only have a string of 'mad women' friends, so no good for friend of a friend situations, just 'to avoid'.
 icarusi
Msg: 53 (view)

Breville Toastie
Posted: 5/30/2013 4:27:10 PM

my housemate had a toastie maker and the result always tasted like deep fried because you have to oil it - have they evolved since?
Mine had a non-stick surface so could have no oil, but I used a little margerine (currently olive oil spread) to crisp the outside of the toastie, and do the same with a panini. If it tasted too deep fried then there was too much oil used outside or in the filling.
 icarusi
Msg: 46 (view)

Breville Toastie
Posted: 5/28/2013 5:04:45 PM
I use wholemeal bread and it's never tasted right to me as a toastie. I also got a panini press which is a similar thing, whenever I remember to get some ciabatta bread, and doubles as a grill too. Must remember to get some white bread and give the Breville a whirl again sometime. I do like cheese on toast but usually do the toast in the toaster then 10 seconds in the microwave with cheese on top, just to melt it, I don't need the toasted cheese, but now I've got the halogen oven permanently set up I may give it a whirl on the cheese next time.
 icarusi
Msg: 77 (view)

Have you ever found your hair colour made people treat you in a certain way and how did it make you
Posted: 5/26/2013 3:48:53 PM
Funny this thread being resurrected. I've had long very dark hair for years and really fancied a drastic change last week so yesterday went and had it all cut off very short and have gone blonde. A huge massive change and I certainly got different looks than I normally would. Maybe a new look me will be a good thing or will be interesting to see if I get the 'dumb blonde' cliches :)

I'm always surprised people keeping exactly the same hair style year after year. Jackie Collins, Evana Trump, Patsy, Mark Kermode, Brian May, Morrisey, Ross Kemp etc.
 icarusi
Msg: 35 (view)

Never good enough
Posted: 5/25/2013 2:33:07 PM
Go for moral philosophy. It covers that same ground as most of the 'big books of religion' but doesn't need a big cheese being to work. I'm currently on the 'bell curve' statistics theory of outcomes. Seems to explain a lot of things not covered by the 'being' thing, without massive workarounds of the dog ate my homework type.
 icarusi
Msg: 19 (view)

It's Saturday - what are you up to?
Posted: 5/25/2013 2:04:07 PM
Beer and chocolate after Dortmund didn't. Good presentation setup at Wembley. Better than the usual pitchside setup. Now watching 'Wierdest Weapons' on Yesterday (it was on yesterday too, but a different episode, but not the day before yesterday but it was still Yesterday. It's always Yesterday on Yesterday which makes it virtually impossible for old people to use PVR.)
 icarusi
Msg: 73 (view)

Have you ever found your hair colour made people treat you in a certain way and how did it make you
Posted: 5/25/2013 1:47:05 PM
I was just wondering about 'statement' hair colour, usually bright red with black. What's that all about? Bright red's a statement enough, what does mixing it with black (or blue?) add?

If you think there are 999 pages of past threads you are wrong. The exact number is a secret known only to me.
 icarusi
Msg: 2 (view)

CYCLE NETWORK
Posted: 5/24/2013 4:30:39 PM

anyone else wandered off their route destination and gone on mystery tour ? or do you all follow exact directions

Only at night. Heading north from Saffron Walden, reached the A1 (A1M?) and noticed the signs were informing me how far I was from London, which I thought was quite considerate, if a bit unusual, unless..............So on the safe side I got off at the next junction and had been going south. All in a 50m detour. Now at night I always double check when joining at intermediate junctions on roads with the same number in both directions.
 icarusi
Msg: 4 (view)

POF on 'This Morning'
Posted: 5/24/2013 4:13:48 PM
welsh bloke? wasn't ducky was it? he's not scary!!!

Dunno. It's here in the 3rd section. It's ITV player so you can't skip the ads.

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/this-morning/23-05-2013

Gareth Brennan is the name given.
 icarusi
Msg: 1 (view)

POF on 'This Morning'
Posted: 5/23/2013 4:35:50 PM
It was mainly about 'fakes'. You didn't miss anything. On one side a woman journo who online dated a lot for a piece, on the other side a quite scary insistent welsh bloke with loads of online dates and no success. Wonder why?
 icarusi
Msg: 11 (view)

Cynical Supermarkets?
Posted: 5/22/2013 3:19:17 PM

I have cards for Booker and Makro - neither are very much cheaper (if at all) on the everyday stuff and I really don't need cases of baked beans and the like clagging up my flat............

Ditto for Costco. I bought a TV there years ago which was a saving, even inc subs, but haven't seen anything since worth renewing the subs for, although some stuff is unique and better quality than elsewhere. I still like barbecue chicken pizza slices from their 'cafe' though, and the slab version look like a good buy for parties, if you've a big enough oven.
 icarusi
Msg: 13 (view)

POF in UK
Posted: 5/22/2013 3:05:35 PM

The 14 +/- restriction is irritating, a man 14 + years older than me could well be someone I'd be interested in having a relationship with especially bearing in mind the immaturity of men my own age.

I remember when age differences came up before on other forums +/-1/3 was a good rule of thumb for likely success (not a hard rule!). So for a 60 y.o. 40-80 but a 40 y.o. would be 27-53, and 27 y.o. would be 18-36 etc. It'll be a relief not to be troubled by toy-girls any more.
 icarusi
Msg: 8 (view)

POF in UK
Posted: 5/21/2013 6:10:47 PM
It would be simpler just to make the 'must not be looking for an intimate encounter' a default setting, that way only those actively seeking an IC would get such messages, unless I'm missing something. As it stands those looking for ICs will still be around, but not admitting to such, and can't be group-blocked any more. Now back to my copy of 'Amateur Gynaecologist and Proctologist'.
 icarusi
Msg: 14 (view)

TV shows that go over the same stuff again... and again...
Posted: 5/21/2013 5:49:04 PM

I watched that smirking tory toff portillo off on his jollies around the europe railways paid for by the beeb.

As soon as you see Portillo you reach for the zapper, unless they wack in some travel footage edits sharpish and try to stop you. Ditto at the end, show edits of next show and you may forget Portillo's on it.
 icarusi
Msg: 48 (view)

Wasps!
Posted: 5/20/2013 6:17:18 PM
A few days later, as I exited the french doors into the garden, I felt something land in my hair, on the top of my head, and forgetting about his warning, I reached up, to remove the object, which felt like a dry, crunchy leaf (I thought), and it stung me, on the inside edge of my middle finger.

I had something similar. I felt something in my my hair after leaving a shop. When I tried to brush it out with my hand it stung me on the brow hairline. It felt like the brow skin was being pulled through a curtain ring.

If they're in a tiny room room I leave sharpish and get the electric swatter, if I need to get in. In bigger rooms they usually stay at the window so I leave them, but if they start flying round the room they get the electric swatter. Before the electric swatter I used Dampstart, much better than flyspray or handswatters which could annoy them. Dampstart clogs them instantly and they fly no more.
 icarusi
Msg: 19 (view)

Interpretation and Translation
Posted: 5/20/2013 6:00:04 PM
I'm still looking for 'I don't mind fools'.

It's usually 'I don't suffer fools gladly' coupled with 'I want someone who will make me laugh' obviously a grump with a tickle fetish.

Is anything other than fools not suffered gladly? Bad food, constipation, flatulence..............

I figured out why the direct forum link is no longer on the main page, it's to keep the riff raff in.
 icarusi
Msg: 2 (view)

Cynical Supermarkets?
Posted: 5/20/2013 5:47:39 PM
I've started taking pics of those. If I can get few I'll send them to the local Trading Standards. I've had most problems with Morrisons. Now I double check the small print if the price looks too good.
 icarusi

TV shows that go over the same stuff again... and again...
Posted: 5/20/2013 5:42:53 PM
You can add competition reminders and shows which have a few short stories but split each in two so you have to watch the whole show just to see the outcome of one story.
 icarusi
Msg: 14 (view)

55 miles
Posted: 5/18/2013 4:13:10 PM
Slack lines so far on this one. Interesting replies. The consensus is if it's not a problem now it may well be in the future. Nothing ventured nothing gained though. Are we an urban consensus here? Just back from Scarborough and everything's pretty distanced, ditto when I lived in the Peak District and more so in the upper Yorkshire Dales.

Got a sea view room this time in Scarborough. Herring gulls busy mating on the ledge outside my window. The sp seems to be 4 squawks from him to every 1 from her to keep it going. Got too bored to check for a dismount squawk. They do go on a bit, and not phased by onlookers. Maybe they're from Holland?
 icarusi

55 miles
Posted: 5/15/2013 4:42:02 PM
Is it too far? Normally I look closer and would prefer an adjacent town. Today I noticed on a POF profile, the same pic I'd seen yesterday in an email from a pay date site. New pic, but realised I'd seen her older pics before on that site, but new-ish to POF.

It's mainly motorway, but in her profile she put something to the effect of being willing to travel further than those who would in return. We'll see (if I get a reply). I must admit that when someone seems like a good match, the distance 'seems' less of a factor.

What say you? Too far, far enough or no problem?

BTW can't get back to the Black Headed Gulls thread but saw many in Ilkley on holiday Monday. I'm pretty sure they vacate Swinsty in summer so these must be resident rather than migrants. Also saw 7 jackdaws together in a Hebden Bridge pedestrian area. It was like 'The Birds'!
 icarusi
Msg: 7 (view)

Words I learned on POF
Posted: 5/12/2013 3:42:57 PM
Neologism ------ ------- --------

Is titterosity really a stunt word?

Not forgetting sarchasm and ignoranus.
 icarusi

Posted: 5/11/2013 4:01:45 PM
It's Sunday 12/5/2013 now so POF time zone is....................corrected?
 icarusi

Posted: 5/11/2013 11:07:34 AM
I'm on the 36 bus from Ripon checking out the onboard free wifi. Sad but with geeky overtones
 icarusi
Msg: 32 (view)

All I want is good conversation...
Posted: 5/10/2013 5:31:01 PM
I remember seeing a profile from somebody seeking a good listener.
 icarusi

Young looking female..
Posted: 5/10/2013 5:01:58 PM
I remember a friend's new GF looking decidedly 'under age' but she was actually in her 20s and he in his 30s, but it did look 'wrong' at the time (while it lasted). Another friend's wife was a teacher in her late 20s but on bus outings with pupils looked so young she was offered half fair. Most guys are after 2 things, cooking *and* cleaning.
 icarusi

Coincidences
Posted: 5/9/2013 4:48:56 PM
I notice a really attractive woman on a local bus travelling to my town. A few weeks later I saw her again, and ditto a couple of weeks later, so assume she either works late in my town, or lives here and works in the other town, and always catches that bus at that time.

Last week I was returning a product to a retail park out of town at the other town. I got on the bus (different to above route) next stop, she gets on. Make mental note, I should check the other shops there sometime.

Yesterday, returning from a different town I pushed the stop button. As we approached the bus stop (my town, different road) the bus makes a sudden stop. The driver had stopped for a pelican crossing, but the light were on green. I was looking to see why he'd stopped on green, and who he was nodding across, and it was that woman again! She has a face that can stop a bus!

I've had those things happen in the past, but usually when I'm thinking about that person, but not in this case.

Have you experienced anything similar?
 icarusi
Msg: 47 (view)

Quirky Things You Find Attractive?
Posted: 5/9/2013 4:26:45 PM
Snow whites (dark hair/w fair skin), glasses, rabbit teeth (but not goofy), flared nostrils, pointy noses, slight exotropia, bedroom eyes (like Babita Sharma's).........
 icarusi
Msg: 16 (view)

Tone of voice
Posted: 5/9/2013 4:13:59 PM

Its changed everything - he talks really quickly and mumbles!

Maybe he was............nervous.............?
Normally I'd say mumblers should just be shot. Saves time for everyone. But his mind, which writes the text, doesn't mumble. Does he have an overly large nose?
 icarusi
Msg: 21 (view)

School hours and hols...
Posted: 5/5/2013 5:51:39 PM
The long summer break is supposed to be when kids forget most of the previous years work. It's an anachronism, and probably has been for half a century. I think it would be worth setting the school day flexibly to suit parents travel and work times, even if kids are doing 'home work' on school premises rather than set lessons, maybe with 'core' lesson time but with extra managed time before and after for study, extra curriculum etc..
 icarusi
Msg: 3 (view)

Cycle Path or Dog Path ?
Posted: 5/5/2013 5:32:52 PM
AFAIAC dogs on an extending lead aren't under control! If I was King *all* dogs in public places would be on short leads and muzzled. If a dog is dragging its owner around I'd have it confiscated until the owner can control it properly. The only off-lead places would be on private property, or for working dogs, sniffers, police etc.
 icarusi
Msg: 6 (view)

Failed friendships may shed a light on my love life?
Posted: 5/5/2013 5:13:05 PM
One of my teachers advised going to Uni as far away from home as possible, to 'cut the umbilical cord'. I partly followed the advice and moved too far away for a daily commute, but could get back odd weekends. They had a rule, first year was digs or a hall or residence, no flats or houses. Didn't get on well with the digs family or room mate but 2nd year after looking for a bedsit, got in a student house with 4 others after 1 had dropped out. Subsequent years 3 of us from the 5 went on to share 2 more houses. There were other student houses at the time but we inherited the magic formula from the 1st house on how to house share.

I think mature students have a harder time, especially as most students are within 1 year age difference. We had one mature student who led us astray. That was his job, otherwise we'd have probably ignored him, but not deliberately !

You can't break omelets without making eggs, avoiding friendships won't work to get friends, although keeping on duff friends should be avoided.

Living independently as a student isn't a cheap option, so my teachers' plan is less good today, but getting in a social group of some sort is worth doing. The guy who dropped out of the 1st house lived too close to get funded enough, but did get in another house later that year and got a first wife from it later.
 icarusi
Msg: 101 (view)

Attraction - is this how it works ?
Posted: 4/28/2013 3:36:04 PM
I've always been attracted to beautiful women since the age of 2. Quite a few of my aunts and some neighbours were very attractive with long dark hair. Later I liked redheads, then a few blonds, then I liked the way a woman moved, then the way they laughed. Now it's bird-like features, large eyes and pointy noses............what was the original question? I wouldn't be attracted to someone who didn't look moderately fit (not necessarily being fit). Just looks like they're not in control or don't care.

Most couples I see seem matched, but I do see the odd seemingly major mismatch which has me wondering what else the lesser looking partner has that I'm not seeing. I also know some couples who started matched but one half has let themselves go, big time!
 icarusi
Msg: 7 (view)

Blackheaded gulls
Posted: 4/28/2013 2:57:29 PM

I live about 300yds from the harbour - our local council, in their infinite wisdom, have put a planning application on hold so as not to disturb nesting herring gulls - apparantly an endangered specis....not round here matey, we're overun with bloody things!

The coastal ones, at least in Scarborough, only nest with a 'sea view' which includes the Grand Hotel and kicking off at 3.00am.
 icarusi
Msg: 10 (view)

Boiling an egg
Posted: 4/27/2013 5:32:50 PM
Holistic egg boiling:-

Put eggs in cold water and turn on the cooker ring.

Look at the eggs and tell them to tell you when they are done to your requirements and leave the room.

Forget about the eggs, but when you next think about them go and retrieve them from the pan and they'll be as you wanted them.
 icarusi

Now a real forumite
Posted: 4/27/2013 5:25:00 PM
I only see an edit button *after* I've posted. I prefer a 'preview' button. I see the direct link to 'forums' has disappeared again from the main site pages.
 icarusi
Msg: 6 (view)

Blackheaded gulls
Posted: 4/27/2013 5:16:47 PM
They've all gone now, completely. I think they were migrants wintering and with the cold lasting longer they stayed longer.
 icarusi
Msg: 21 (view)

50 SHADES OF GREY ( the reality )
Posted: 4/27/2013 5:02:47 PM
This guy is good for most things BDSM, especially on matters of safety:-

http://jaywiseman.com/
 icarusi
Msg: 155 (view)

Thatcher is Dead
Posted: 4/27/2013 4:35:55 PM
So Mrs T's not too popular round here. I recall the loony left begat the loony right. It was an accident waiting to happen. T was due to be booted out next term when the cuts in the South Atlantic gave Galtieri a false green light lots of guys were killed and T got another term for standing up to a dictator (which had to be done). If she'd have gone after one term I don't think the excesses would have happened, but it's all history now. Wonder what the next bubble is going to be?

If you want to register your objection to the funeral charges use this:-

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/

I think T herself would object.
 icarusi

Blackheaded gulls
Posted: 4/7/2013 3:58:25 PM
Are there more currently where you are (if you live inland)? They're not actually in my garden but they are up the road and I saw one in the centre of Leeds this weekend. They used to be around more years ago before they closed the rubbish tips but now they're back again locally. There's a big building site in the valley and quarrying. Maybe that's what's bringing them.
 icarusi
Msg: 20 (view)

SPRINGSHINE AT LAST
Posted: 4/7/2013 3:48:08 PM

so what do you reckon the odds are that more dates will be happening now, as usually a case that with miserable weather come lack of enthusiasm for change or meeting new people!

Don't know about more dates but definitely more in the mood with some sun and warmth about than getting blasted by wind and snow.
 icarusi
Msg: 46 (view)

Is it worth goin to as fancy hair salon for a male?
Posted: 4/7/2013 3:30:05 PM
Some TV presenters must have had haircuts daily to look so neat. Always looked too 'fake' to me. Paul Coia, Eamonn Holmes (of old, he's ok now) George Osborne etc.
 icarusi
Msg: 45 (view)

Is it me or are there double standards here?
Posted: 4/7/2013 3:19:07 PM
It's a 'do as I say, not as I do'. Parents use it all the time.
 icarusi

Home Bargains
Posted: 4/7/2013 3:02:20 PM
I shop everywhere, man!

Home Bargains, B&M, Savers, The Pound Bakery etc. but also in Waitrose, Booths, Morrisons, Sainsbury's, Tesco, Asda, Co-op, Aldi and Lidl. Some of the non-chain poundshops are worth a look, as they get different lines from the chains. Obviously not everything is a genuine bargain in those places, so you need to pick and choose, and know what 1.2kg of sugar is in pence/kg at a £ shop.

BTW Ebuyer are currently doing the Crisp'n'Bake halogen actifry-alike for £70 ATM.
 icarusi
Msg: 15 (view)

occasional smokers?
Posted: 3/30/2013 4:18:10 PM
Why don't 'occasional smokers' become 'non-smokers'? It's a 'no brainer' as the USAns say. Or be honest just call yourself a 'smoker'.
 icarusi
Msg: 28 (view)

Kids with Guns
Posted: 3/29/2013 5:04:19 PM
Doesn't sound good. Whatever justification they could cook up 7yrs and 9mm doesn't add up. BB or .22 maybe but what about the safety aspects. Do they show them photos of 9mm wounds to let them know what happens if other than targets are at the loud end?

A chunk of US society doesn't get it. They like their guns for sport. They think they have absolute control over their firearms and nothing will go wrong. They think they would be able to use a firearm in self defence. They don't think they would freeze or do a Pistorious.

I don't think they'll change unless there's a mass killing on a weekly basis. Even then there'd probably be a hard core of resistors. The detractors have poor arguments too. There's a mass killing, lets do something about assault weapons, but most deaths are from handguns. A Glock can have 15-17 rounds without an extended magazine.
 icarusi
Msg: 82 (view)

Musical instruments?
Posted: 3/29/2013 4:30:53 PM

OOOoerr! Icarusi. Daver said he had no musical understanding so I doubt very much if he followed any of that - I certainly didn't! It's all digital - if he bought it, maybe you could transpose it for him??....

There's nothing to stop a solo transposing instrument playing directly from a piano score, it'll sound ok. It only needs to be tranposed if playing with other instruments, or along with the record in the correct key.
 icarusi
Msg: 75 (view)

Musical instruments?
Posted: 3/28/2013 6:20:24 PM

Thanks but that's for piano. I have no musical training nor understanding so can't transcribe that for a sax.

It's in D major but tenor sax plays an octave and a major second lower than the written pitch, so you'd need to transpose it an octave and a major second higher than the piano pitch to sound in concert pitch D major. I think that means the concert D root note for the tenor sax is C.
 icarusi
Msg: 53 (view)

Musical instruments?
Posted: 3/27/2013 4:20:07 PM
Do you think musical instrument playing is a plus or minus in a date/relationship situation. My Gu-Zheng, in its case, could only fit in the front passenger seat of my previous car. Haven't tried it in the new car yet.
 icarusi
Msg: 43 (view)

What do you think is missing in current comedy, especially in the UK?
Posted: 3/26/2013 5:01:04 PM
Not a fan of spoof-docs. Spinal Tap was OK but mainly for the rockstar stuff some of which which was based on reality. Of the recent sitcoms only Big Bang Theory and Family Guy come to mind as worth bothering with.

Stand-ups are pretty much of a muchness and I'd only deliberately check Bill Bailey and Ross Noble. I quite like Milton Jones since I haven't seen much from Steven Wright here. Dudley Moore's chat show appearances were usually very good. Jamie Foxx seems to be also a good chatshow turn. Father Ted is still pretty good in reruns, mainly for all the oddball characters and situations.

Some of the better sitcoms never got a re-run. I think 'Men of the World', with David Threlfall and John Simm as travel agents, could stand a rerun.

There seems to have been a lot of production effort gone into some recent sitcoms but the writing hasn't been funny enough, usually set at a crude 12 year old. Chelmsford 123 vs Plebs?

Show ALL Forums