Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: kissing on the first date should be a topic of discussion
 johnb1949
Msg: 112 (view)

kissing on the first date should be a topic of discussion
Posted: 2/4/2012 4:50:14 AM
"discussion about kissing on the first date [SHOULD] be talked about before meeting. this will put both female and male in a more comfort zone."

if ever there was a word that SHOULD be stricken from all language it's the word, "SHOULD" and any form of it's use. a topic of discussion with options? planning, asking? jeez, if that spontaneous kiss doesn't happen there was no chemistry so there won't be a second date.
 johnb1949
Msg: 14 (view)

Mankind's True Purpose
Posted: 2/4/2012 4:36:15 AM
"What do you believe is Mankind's True Purpose?"

don't BELIEVE anything but suspect that humans, like every living thing, are here to perpetuate the species. nothing more.
 johnb1949
Msg: 58 (view)

Laws - do they really represent their societies moral & ehtical values?
Posted: 1/27/2012 5:13:54 AM

I have read that spiritual values do not make things wrong... For example, Thou shalt not steal is not wrong because it is a Biblical (religious) commandment ... it forbidden in the Bible because it is wrong.

ah, but wrong according to whom? on who's authority was stealing made wrong before the bible was writen. is it wrongg to not allow women to drive if we allow men to drive? many muslims would argue, NO, nothing wrong about that whatsoever. the very reason we have any laws at all is simply because not everybody agrees on what is right and what is wrong. we make laws to remove any gray area questioning of right/wrong and now we have what is legal in bold black and white for everybody to comply with.

there's been alot of talk about "certain inalienable rights" here and the key word in this phrase is "certain". only CERTAIN inalienable rights are protected by our constitution, for instance, and those same CERTAIN rights are not necessarily protected by other goverments. so laws have never been about right and wrong, morals and ethics. whether the laws are inacted in a democracy, the u.s. is not that btw, or a dictatorship, all laws are legally correct within the governing body with the power to enforce them.
 johnb1949
Msg: 7 (view)

How does one influence LUCK??
Posted: 1/27/2012 4:33:01 AM
can't influence luck but you can better the odds. counting cards in blackjack for instance.
 johnb1949
Msg: 41 (view)

Posted: 1/20/2012 2:05:29 PM
ah, but who defines morality? hitlers morality was different than mine or yours i'd suspect. we each for our own unique moral compass. in law the differince IS purely semantics. we'd need no law if everybody could agree on morals and ethics and adhered to them. but we don't all agree so what we have is morally and ethically correct being replaced by legal and lawful in order to standardize.
 johnb1949
Msg: 74 (view)

Are Caucasians decendents of Arabs ?
Posted: 1/20/2012 5:23:14 AM
science to date suggests we're all decended from a gal named susie who was born in africa.
 johnb1949
Msg: 39 (view)

Posted: 1/20/2012 5:13:18 AM

Unlawful and illegal are two differnt things.

lol. semantically i suppose, but black’s law dictionary defines unlawful as not authorized by law, illegal is defined as forbidden by law, unlawful. eemantically, there is a slight difference. it seems that something illegal is expressly proscribed by statute, and something unlawful is just not expressly authorized. both are subject to similar punishment.
 johnb1949
Msg: 38 (view)

Posted: 1/20/2012 5:04:58 AM

Um John... I believe you're wrong about the "thout shall not covet thy neighbor's wife" thing....It's called adultry. And yes, you can get in trouble for it should the judge decide to push it. Take me, for example, I'm in the military. If I get caught commiting adultry, I'm done...No questios asked because I broke the law.

first of all, to covet thy neighbor's wife is not an act of adultry. indeed, coveting is not an act at all. it's an emotion, a desire. the act of adultry is physically acting on that desire. put another way, you take you're clothes off and actually do the nasty.

secondly, there are no laws prohibiting adultry in america nor does the ucmj restrict the act. sure, you are discouraged from fraternizing with others within the military that is "inconcistent with military decorum" but nothing prohibits you from shagging another man's wife who is a civilian when niether of you are subject to command for instance. divorce is quite common in the military often with infidelity as a basis . ike sure wasn't disciplined for his escapades with kay sumersby which was hardly a secret. indeed he was one of few to ever wear five stars.

i've spent enough nights in officer's clubs from hawaii to vietnam to know well that i and my buddies did alot of coveting when shown a picture of another's wife with quips such as, "hell, she can eat crackers in my bed anytime." when was the last time you've seen someone subjected to article 15 much less courts marshal for making such a commetn"
 johnb1949
Msg: 1210 (view)

Humans created by Aliens: Plausible theory?
Posted: 1/16/2012 4:39:50 PM
perhaps you can produce the paper from einsteing to truman.
 johnb1949
Msg: 1209 (view)

Posted: 1/16/2012 4:38:27 PM

It's not that there's no scientific evidence of this stuff, it's that there is no SOCIALLY ACCEPTED SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE.

nor is there SCIENTIFICALLY ACCEPTED SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE.
 johnb1949
Msg: 34 (view)

Posted: 1/16/2012 3:59:04 PM

The intention and purpose of laws are to guide behaviour, maintain order and civility and these codes of conduct arise out of basic assumptions and values. Originally our laws stemmed from the Christian 10 commandments and have grown and morphored from there.

not so. though shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife has never been the law, for instance.

Our Civil laws provide codes for acceptable behaviours, and one very strong aspect of civil law is the upholding, respecting and protect of civil contracts. If two or more people agree, there are witnesses, and they sign on the dotted line, it is a contract.[//quote]

no need to sign on the dotted line or even put it in writing. verbal contracts have the force of law.

Conveniently, Family Law (which is a branch of civil law), does not acknowledge marriage contracts.

wrong again. all contract law, including marriage contracts are civil law. such civil law is frequently tried in court.

Under civil law, breaking of a contract results in some sort of consequence. Family Law is guided by the federal Divorce Act. Although the Divorce Act does acknowledge three behaviours that a Divorce is granted, namely, abuse, adultery, and living separate and apart for over a year; it does not, however, give these deal breakers a consequence.

i could be wrong but i don't believe the u.s. has a federal divorce act. family law is administered by the states.

I received an e-mail the other day requesting my support for an on-line petition to request government to reopen and re-examine the Divorce Act and end no-fault divorce.

again, i family law is a state issue.

So the question is - do our laws do what they should do and that is reflect moral and ethical standards that support Judeo-Christian values - the values that this country was built upon?

if everybody could agree on moral and ethical standards we would need no laws. but we don't all agree so congres, legislatures and municipalities write laws. now it's not a matter of what's morally or ethically correct, it's a matter of what's legal.
 johnb1949
Msg: 1207 (view)

Posted: 1/16/2012 3:40:08 PM
this does not come close to a scientific theory. a good theory is supported by evidence which can be subjected to the strick scrutiny of the scientific method and tested to produce repeatable and predictable results. i know of no such evidence that can be tested. assumption does not a theory make.
 johnb1949
Msg: 38 (view)

Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/16/2012 3:33:38 PM
absolute knowledge doesn't exist. wisdom does.

Show ALL Forums