Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Common 'run for the hills' lines you hear
 sweetlotty
Msg: 104 (view)

Common 'run for the hills' lines you hear
Posted: 2/20/2013 5:10:51 AM
I spent a few months in hospital after I tried to shoot myself in the head but the gun jammed.

Oops, maybe that's not such a common line? True though.
 sweetlotty
Msg: 51 (view)

Guys, what do you say when your not interested after meeting?
Posted: 1/30/2013 4:15:43 AM
Guys, what do you say when your not interested after meeting?

There is at least one guy out there who, on a second date, gives a kiss on the cheek and says "I'm not doing a runner" lmao

actually, the kiss might have been on the lips, it's all a little hazy now lol
 sweetlotty
Msg: 27 (view)

post worst ideas for a first date/meetup
Posted: 1/30/2013 2:38:53 AM
Now I'm pretty easy going when it comes to first meets/dates ( have sat behind a tractor and tossed hay to the cows lol) however I absolutely draw the line at meeting at Mc Donalds arghhhh!!!!

Walmart could be a goer though, for entertainment purposes. I have viewed many a "walmart people" email but being an Aussie , have not experienced the show first hand. Hell, my date and I could actually blend in by sitting on deck chairs at a card table with nibbles and a bottle of wine!!
 sweetlotty
Msg: 38 (view)

EX BF
Posted: 1/29/2013 2:57:30 AM
Personally, I wouldn't like my partner to be friends with their ex. Being friendly, as in bumping into each other and having a quick chat is fine, but catching up for lunch or talking on the phone regularly is a different matter. I don't think a few dates entitles one to give ultimatums about ending the friendship, but being in a long term relationship , I'd hope that my partner would have neither the time nor the need to maintain a friendship with an ex. Perhaps I'm just old fashioned and not into all this modern psychology of being over the top open minded and accepting of everything/everyone lest I be called insecure, selfish, controlling , blah blah. I maintained a friendship with my ex who I had been with for 10 years but once I became serious with someone else, I chose to end the friendship out of respect for my new partner as my ex and I had shared so much history and my feelings were still too strong for him. I would like to think that if need be, a future partner would be thoughtful enough to do the same thing for me without me ever having to raise the issue.
 sweetlotty
Msg: 35 (view)

Is it rude to put physical preferences in your profile?
Posted: 1/24/2013 5:50:09 PM
I don't think it's rude to put physical preferences in your profile, but would suggest that it be done in as polite a way as possible..not only to avoid offending anyone (not that everyone cares about doing so), but also to avoid coming across as a rude or insensitive person to those who fit your preferences.

As a fat chick, I'm not offended by reading in a profile that a guy prefers smaller sized , as it saves me from "applying" only to be humiliated, although I have the intelligence and presence of mind to figure out by reading a well written profile whether I need "apply". Having said that, if I read "fit and active and would like the same in a partner" there is absolutely nothing offensive about that however if I read " no fatties please" then I think, "phew, I dodged a bullet there , I have no interest in knowing such a rude man who doesn't have the ability to express himself in a more civilized manner. Those smaller girls are welcome to him".

I have my physical preferences, some of which are less negotiable than others, but have chosen not to put them on my profile. Instead, I screen profiles through my inbox to get the bigger picture of who a person might be...although at times I wish there were more filter options to tick on the mail settings!!!!
 sweetlotty
Msg: 6 (view)

Just an observation- Attractiveness/Success abd finding love
Posted: 1/24/2013 6:10:02 AM
Op, I have often wondered about this myself when browsing (perving on lol) the profiles of many attractive , successful guys who have all sorts of wonderful interests that surely must have them out and about mingling with a great number of people without having to look online. I guess it comes down to the fact that regardless of attractiveness, crossing paths with a suitable person at the right time is very much a hit and miss affair so coming online is a way of increasing the odds of finding that right person. Perhaps those single beautiful people have some very unattractive personality traits or feel entitled to set their partner criteria so high that it is near to impossible for anyone to meet the required standard.

Conversely, when I view Success Story pages of marriages and happy couples on these sites, many of them are generally average, or even below, as far as attractiveness, career, and such.

With our society placing so much importance on physical attractiveness, and socio-economic status, it seems to me that the Success Stories would be more heavily laden with the "Beautiful People" and the actively looking section would be more full of Average Joes.

I'd say it's a numbers thing...ie more average people in the general population than "beautiful People"
 sweetlotty
Msg: 75 (view)

Better looking in person? Or in pictures?
Posted: 1/22/2013 4:10:57 AM
I've had some meets where the guy has clearly been surprised by me in person, saying I look much better than my pics..and I generally don't go to much fuss for meets, ..minimal make up, quick brush of the hair.

I must say that I have always recognized my meets from their pic straight up and I have always been recognized at first glance as well. Ahhh, brings back memories of the adrenaline rush of walking around a crowded bar, trying to spot Him for the first time , wondering if it's that guy in the corner and hoping there will be no major disappointment!
 sweetlotty
Msg: 15 (view)

Longest you've chatted with someone on PoF before meeting
Posted: 1/22/2013 3:19:14 AM
Wasn't from pof, but another site... took us just over 5 years to meet in person lol. Is that a record?? WE only lived about a half hour drive from each other, but life got in the way plus I knew he wasn't my type for a relationship but I enjoyed our conversations immensely and we had the ability to make each other laugh so much. We finally had an afternoon together about 4 months ago ..it was very surreal. I was worried it would ruin our connection/friendship/relationship/whatever it's called , but it didn't.

Another first meeting took 8 months, but distance was involved. . a 1 hour drive then a 90 minute flight then another 1 hour drive. Otherwise, I've had first meets anywhere from 3 months to 1 week after initial contact. I think the older I get, the more I throw caution to the wind as I probably started off this whole online caper a little over cautiously.
 sweetlotty
Msg: 23 (view)

Perfect in every way apart from physical .....
Posted: 1/17/2013 6:43:31 AM
I think it depends on the degree to which you find him physically lacking ie..is he just not the best looker around or is he borderline repulsive in his looks? If it's the former, and he was ideal in every other way, I'd say just get over the looks thing. The more we love someone, the more attractive they become to us anyway. I missed out on something wonderful in my past because of a similar situation. If you find him to be more on the repulsive side physically, then I'd say do some soul searching and follow your instinct. If he was close to perfect for you in every other way, then it may be worth trying to overcome any repulsion. What have you got to lose really? In a group I hung out with a number of years ago, 3 of the girls married guys whom everyone thought were on the unattractive side..one of the girls actually "picked up" her guy on a drunken dare from her friends, so unattractive was he...but years later, they are still happily married.
 sweetlotty
Msg: 149 (view)

Are women with crappy cars a turn off?
Posted: 1/16/2013 9:37:25 PM
I drove a 26 yo subaru wagon until it died last year. I had it for 10 years and it was in near mint condition when I bought it, but got knocked about when I had it due to my having used it for the reason why I bought it..camping and light 4wding, plus then I had kids knocking it about too. I took my old girl on meet and greets and she was part of my story, a real ice breaker infact. I was proud of our story together and any guys that were suited to me were interested in that story, of the places I had travelled to with the old girl, particularly the time I drove her across the country on my own, which was actually the big trip for which I had originally bought her. My car was actually a topic of conversation and laughs further down the track from first meets, when I would get asked how she was going and if I'd taken her away anywhere recently.

I could have bought a newer car at any stage but prefered to use my money for other things rather than throw it away on a depreciating vehicle. When she finally died , I updated by a whopping 18 years ..to an 8 yo vehicle. Again, I had the cash to buy younger, or brand new, but just chose not to. If a guy judges me on how old my car is, he's certainly not the type I want!!

Ps..I still had my old car sitting in the backyard for 6 months after I bought my new one before I could bring myself to get her towed away lmao..again the subject of conversation and laughs!
 sweetlotty
Msg: 9 (view)

Wedding Crashing
Posted: 1/16/2013 3:28:51 PM
Just this past weekend, I , along with my 2 young daughters, went along to the gardens to watch the teacher of one of my daughters get married...invites had been sent home with the kids, but it felt weird being there, considering until I got to the wedding, I didn't know the bride's name or what she looked like lol. ..and I almost even got teary , especially when the lady whom I (correctly) assumed to be the mother of the bride walked in crying . I came home with a photo of my girls with the happy couple and having had a kiss and hug from the (yummy) teacher, when all I was expecting was to hang out quietly at the back, and maybe offer him a handshake if he came my way lol.

Otherwise, the only thing I have officially gate crashed was an engagement party in a hall a friend and I were walking past. It turned out I'd gone to school with the girl getting engaged, and my friend knew the guy, so the couple probably assumed we were there as a friend of the other partner.
 sweetlotty
Msg: 32 (view)

how much
Posted: 1/14/2013 6:22:26 AM

Fav old jeans and shirt. Fresh, clean, and smell good! Oh! nice underwear! Never know? For a hospital !))))))

wow, guys do the good undewear thing too??? lol
 sweetlotty
Msg: 31 (view)

how much
Posted: 1/14/2013 6:20:26 AM
I have done both ends of the spectrum..from new outfit/shoes, makeup on and hair done for a first meet (he insisted on taking me out to a swish restaurant and we made an agreement to both dress up for the occassion for a bit of fun..and ohhhhhhhh my, did he look good in his black pants and shirt, which I think were one of his ballroom dancing competition outfits. I was mentally begging him to break out some Dirty Dancing moves!!!) , to middle of the range, and now, being somewhat disheartened, I dress neat casual, quick brush of the hair and usually no makeup, as that's how I get about everyday, so I'm just letting them know what to expect lol.
 sweetlotty
Msg: 373 (view)

LYING ABOUT AGE ON DATING PROFILE!
Posted: 1/14/2013 4:00:22 AM
My parents have been happily married for 43 years and couldn't live without each other. The night they met, mum lied about her age as she knew dad was a bit older than her and didn't want to tell him she was 15, so told him she was 17 (he was 20). A few months later, things were going well and mum invited dad to her birthday. He turned up thinking it was her 18th and she had to tell him it was actually her 16th lol. I'd say it's not very often that a female adds a few years to her age!!!
 sweetlotty
Msg: 20 (view)

Damn, just when you think you've reeled in a half decent potential..
Posted: 1/10/2013 5:21:49 PM

Shit! This girl I met on here said her occupation was nursing, turns out she was nursing her baby. LMFAO

omg, that definitely is LMFAO factor!

and I'm feeling pretty excited

the word excited was used a little tongue in cheek...hopeful was probably more accurate lol

i think most women aren't particularly interested in riding around in the dirt, but he was basically saying "wow look at my exciting life! don't you want a piece of this? just look at me having fun. POF sez right there at the top of the page, that's what i should do. so i did, now you must want me." don't you think the more likely explanation is that all he really did was post what he thought were the best pictures he could find of himself?

He had a number of pics of his vehicle in various scenarios and of himself being towed out of some sticky situations so he was promoting this aspect of his life. Our first messages revolved around favourite spots and trips and he supposedly had an upcoming 4wd trip with mates which never eventuated. Next thing, he wakes up to find his vehicle being towed from his driveway. Turns out it was being repossessed due to a loan he had signed for his ex 6 years prior, hmmm.. and he didn't bother trying to get his vehicle back as it needed money spent on it and he was over the 4wd, camping thing anyway. Then I'm left wondering whether to be nice and hang around cos he's nice enough..yes, that blah word nice.. or do the shallow b!tch thing and write him off cos he no longer holds one of the major drawcards.

Anyway, one of my new years resolutions is to join a 4wd club which will be a big step as I'm pretty shy and as none of my friends share my interest, I will be going it alone, however there is really no other option.

AS for the McDonald's thing..much the same as I try to look at dating.. best not to have too many expectations then there is less chance of disappointment, but boy disappointment really sucks when it does happen..I'll never forget the day that some moron left the pickle out of my cheeseburger and I was denied the pleasure of biting into that wonderfully sweet, salty, tangy morsel : (((
 sweetlotty
Msg: 1 (view)

Damn, just when you think you've reeled in a half decent potential..
Posted: 1/10/2013 4:17:13 AM
There's a message in my inbox from someone new, I go check out their profile and there are quite a number of photos of him participating in one of my favourite activities (4wd) and I'm feeling pretty excited as I'm particularly wanting to meet someone who is actively involved in this activity. A few messages go back and forth, meet up , then in the course of conversation it comes up that he is no longer into this activity or a couple of other ones we had in common. Arghh, talk about disappointing, and feeling as though I'd been misled. He is a nice enough guy but far more of a couch potato than the outdoor guy his profile pics indicated him to be . I guess I just crossed paths with him a few years too late!!

I'm a pretty sceptical person when it comes to this online thing so I do some cross referencing and checks where possible, but even photo evidence is not fail proof it seems... I thought profile pics only lied when it came to weight or hairlines lol. Any other similar experiences to be shared for a laugh (or you'd cry) where profile and reality are two different things?
 sweetlotty
Msg: 211 (view)

Worst clothes to wear on a first date...
Posted: 1/10/2013 2:31:43 AM
It wasn't a first date, but 2nd ..farmer boy met me at the trendy cafe in town for lunch, sheep shite all over his jeans. I'm not overly fussy, but I was not happy about that one, considering he'd been at home before meeting for lunch.
 sweetlotty
Msg: 39 (view)

dogs on dates
Posted: 1/3/2013 4:50:18 AM
Call me a grumpy old b!tch, but there's no way I could tolerate this sort of behaviour..either from the dog or the owner!
I can't stand stupid dogs (love intelligent ones though) and I certainly wouldn't want to be with someone who didn't respect me or my property enough to do something about the problem. In this situation, I'd discuss the problem with the dog owner and if they were too offended or upset to continue the relationship, then c'est la vie.

Show ALL Forums