Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Guys: how much cardio on weight training for cutting?
 dutchpirate
Msg: 17 (view)

Guys: how much cardio on weight training for cutting?
Posted: 10/21/2010 7:55:19 PM
The main key to shedding body fat isn't exercise, it's diet, exercise is just bonus. What what you eat and how much you eat. If you nourish your body properly you should see excess weight drop like crazy.
 dutchpirate
Msg: 7 (view)

Cold Showers, Real Health Benefits or a crock of bull?
Posted: 10/14/2010 9:14:13 PM
The only times I've known a cold shower to actually be of benefit is after a hard work out, an acute injury, or after a sunburn. Enjoy your hot showers, but from what I've heard, the hotter the water, the harder it is on your hair and skin.
 dutchpirate
Msg: 5 (view)

Well, I'm off to take care of my issues !
Posted: 8/25/2010 6:53:03 PM
The wisest people are those who realize they are worth putting themselves first and realizing taking care of themselves will not only help them, but everyone else around them. Bless you for loving yourself enough.
 dutchpirate
Msg: 8 (view)

Fighting hunger
Posted: 8/23/2010 10:41:21 AM
It's important to ask yourself a few questions before you put something in your mouth. Firstly, are you even really hungry? Is your stomach grumbling and aching or do you just have the munchies? Are you doing any physical activity in the next few hours that requires those calories?

Snacking around the office isn't even 'eating' so much as snacking.. such as a smoker would call smoking 'breathing'. It's just doing your body damage and you don't need it, so don't consider it food, just consider it a bad habit.

In a last note, keep a big mug of tea with you so you have something to be sipping on.
 dutchpirate

Scrupulous about what you eat? Maybe you're mentally ill
Posted: 6/30/2010 10:37:30 AM
I'm so glad someone is complaining about this!!! When I was younger and getting into healthier foods and exercise, my doctor diagnosed me with orthorexia and anorexia... because I wouldn't eat bread or beef???? Because I'd rather eat a 'clean' diet? This gives me a mental disorder?? REALLY?

You can never win.
 dutchpirate
Msg: 59 (view)

50% of women don't want children?
Posted: 6/19/2010 7:34:01 PM
I think they are just making sure they don't scare men away by saying they want kids because then the suitor will think he's now being judged as a potential father figure.
 dutchpirate
Msg: 15 (view)

Giving your body a rest
Posted: 6/18/2010 9:23:03 PM
You can definitely take a break here and there from working out *as long as* you maintain a healthy diet and do something to keep active, even if that's just going for a therapeutic walk at some point in the day.
 dutchpirate
Msg: 9 (view)

Sudden unexplainable change in food likes/dislikes.
Posted: 6/18/2010 9:21:07 PM
That happened to me and yogurt.. after having it regularly one day I just couldn't stomach it anymore. Just take a break for a couple months then try them again. It's very possible to get sick of a food if you have it regularly. I often have a bowl of low fat yogurt now and cover it in walnut crumbs. If I really am not in the mood for food I'll have half a protein bar or something. Even just cereal with milk is okay, you don't need a LOT of protein in the morning.
 dutchpirate
Msg: 38 (view)

Nutrition and Milk: Are we getting the facts about the substance that Does the body Good
Posted: 6/11/2010 8:22:40 PM
It's definitely not natural for us to be drinking cow's milk, especially as adults. That being said, I can't rave enough about milk... it tastes good... and it's a low calorie way of getting some protein and calcium among many other nutrients.

I am lucky, I live in Canada, and actually in a town full of Dairy Farms. The milk I drink comes from within 1 km of my house. Moooooo
 dutchpirate
Msg: 6 (view)

Burning Calories...
Posted: 5/25/2010 9:00:24 PM
Above. Never expect to lose more than 2 pounds a week. Between calorie restriction and exercise, it is easy to cut an extra 500 cal out of your day and that's 1 pound a week. It's not as hard as it sounds if you weight yourself every couple weeks... not every day. Results are best come slow.
 dutchpirate

Emotional eating disorders
Posted: 5/25/2010 8:57:31 PM
I like sitting down with a big mug of tea to fill me with relaxation and a warm full feeling.
 dutchpirate
Msg: 17 (view)

Home vs. Gym
Posted: 5/25/2010 8:56:00 PM
If it works for you, then it's the best choice. Both wouldn't exist if they didn't both have advantages and disadvantages. Personally I like working around other people, and others prefer to be alone. If you can keep up the motivation to do it alone, then all the power to you, it's definitely cheaper!
 dutchpirate
Msg: 117 (view)

does every straight/bi woman think brad pitt is hot?
Posted: 5/11/2010 7:40:56 PM
Brad Pitt is.... Okay... I really don't see why people like Johnny Depp or Kevin Bacon. Ew.
 dutchpirate
Msg: 59 (view)

When a woman punches walls...
Posted: 4/26/2010 6:49:36 PM
Bad idea. My bf ended up with a shattered hand from punching a hard wood door while having a fight with his ex. You want to get energy out without hurting anyone? Fine, but you're probably going to hurt yourself... and that doesn't help anybody =/

Join a gym or get a punching bag and vent out some anger in safe controlled manner. Even just punch a pillow? Getting pissed off isn't worth a fractured wrist let me tell you.
 dutchpirate
Msg: 12 (view)

How to get the results I want?
Posted: 4/22/2010 9:02:53 PM
I would like to think your average person has the common knowledge of what healthy eating is and how important daily physical activity is. I'm sure you are one of these people who knows the basics to what a healthy lifestyle consists of.

If these changes and habits seem unappealing to you, I think that is the key factor. It all starts with your mental state and motivation. If you don't feel compelled to make these changes and live this better life- to breathe it every day, then you just aren't ready to take on this challenge yet.

I know this just from how many people I know have said they're committed to losing weight for the summer/etc and then... not done a thing. Talk is cheap. You know what you need to do to see results, so get to it.
 dutchpirate
Msg: 45 (view)

Facts of Life: Internet, A Portal for Cheating in Relationships
Posted: 4/12/2010 8:37:23 PM
The internet bothers me a lot when it comes to potential 'cheating'. Because regardless that if your significant other is PROBABLY a decent person who isn't actually cheating or looking for attention elsewhere... I think 99.9% of people still flirt with other people, whether new, old friends, ex lovers etc... to the point that if their partner knew what they were talking about... would break up with them just for that. I know I would. But how do you prove someone is doing it despite how likely it is? Let alone argue that it is a valid problem and can be just as hurtful as cheating.
 dutchpirate

Yes, I know all about weight loss - what about supplements for fat loss?
Posted: 4/12/2010 5:52:09 PM
Now a days I've supplemented out one of my meals for a protein shake, less calories, less fat and carbs, and a lot more protein. You can't really 'lose and gain' at the same time per sey, but you can lose a little fat, gain a little muscle back... it's called zig zagging and it's the most effective and healthy method of becoming leaner. Your body must burn and break fat down, then rebuild with muscle as replacement.
 dutchpirate
Msg: 10 (view)

If you're thirsty, isn't that your body's way of telling you it wants water?
Posted: 4/8/2010 7:20:28 PM
I don't think there's ever a bad time to drink water.... unless you are going under anesthesia...
 dutchpirate
Msg: 25 (view)

Pulling eyelashes...
Posted: 4/6/2010 3:28:23 PM
There is hope! I'm still slowly getting better through sheer willpower. My top lashes have been left alone and I'm slowly getting better at letting the bottoms fill in. I was quite surprised, when I went to mexico for the first time my eyelashes grew the most! Since my hands were always covered in sand or god knows what, I made sure to keep them away from my face the whole time, I came home with full lush lashes!
 dutchpirate

Should I try a gluten-free diet?
Posted: 4/6/2010 3:24:51 PM
A gluten free diet sure won't hurt you, it's beneficial whether you need it or not.

But the test to find out if you have celiac is not difficult or expensive, if you have basic health coverage, your doctor can order a TTG blood test which is just a simple positive or negative.
 dutchpirate

How many calories do you really need?
Posted: 3/18/2010 9:19:23 PM
I personally find the concept of BMR and daily caloric intake to be completely unfair. Given my size, I am only supposed to be having about 1,200 calories a day according to the calculations. But in order to lose weight you need to cut a few hundred calories a day... but you aren't supposed to ever eat less than 1,000 calories a day... it's bloody impossible! Especially with a really bad ankle injury that leaves me unable to do cardio.
 dutchpirate

Tonsillectomy...
Posted: 3/4/2010 9:48:42 PM
To be honest I had mine out when I was 17 and it was HELL. I was in pain for a month... but I discovererd slushies after awhile and they were a god send... sure theres no nutrition in them and they're terrible for you... but the frozen slushie ice was easy to swallow and numbed my throat. Good luck... it was a horrible experience but I haven't had a sore throat since and I'm SO HAPPY.
 dutchpirate
Msg: 14 (view)

Trying to lose the baby weight
Posted: 3/1/2010 9:18:02 PM
ummm you ARE aware that walking doesn't really count as exercise? As humans we are supposed to be walking around several miles a day just as part of our daily routine. You want to lose weight, start sweating hun.
 dutchpirate

Fluid in the knee
Posted: 2/12/2010 9:49:06 PM
CBC is a blood test that will check platelets for clotting problems and white cells for infection. RA is basically a condition where you have sore inflamed joints.
 dutchpirate

Excercising/Lifting and a change in jaw?
Posted: 2/12/2010 3:43:24 PM
You are only 22. Hormones, especially testosterone are still making a lot of changes in your body and your bone structure will continue to change. Weight training does increase testosterone a small amount as well.
 dutchpirate
Msg: 3 (view)

Fluid in the knee
Posted: 2/11/2010 9:20:57 PM
Go to the ER for a second opinion from the on call doc. When you go to the ER you will also be put in for tests immediately that may resolve your problem where as out patient visits don't often lead to resolutions other than 'keep off it'.
 dutchpirate
Msg: 43 (view)

Dating and Dieting
Posted: 1/21/2010 9:31:35 PM
I've got a better idea! How about if the other person is paying you get whatever you want! If you're paying (or going dutch), then get bang for your buck and order something healthy.
 dutchpirate

How do you accurately measure body fat?
Posted: 1/18/2010 6:48:12 PM
I agree, calipers work just fine if an experienced person is using them.

But if you want a REALLY exact measurement would include the DEXA method mentioned above and underwater weighing.
 dutchpirate
Msg: 10 (view)

Dating and Dieting
Posted: 1/16/2010 8:06:59 PM
When indulging in the 'not as healthy food' just watch portion control. Cut your meal in half, then take half home. I try to order some kind of salad with protein usually when I go out. A lot of the meals aren't that bad, main entrees often consist of a protein and lots of in season veggies.
 dutchpirate
Msg: 4 (view)

Painful shoulder tendon
Posted: 1/14/2010 3:34:09 PM
Tightness in the trapezoids, very common. Usually caused by bad posture habits over time, people tend to 'crunch' their shoulders upwards all the time instead of letting them drop naturally. Try to do this more often, and I find a hot pack around the neck is nice for loosening up your neck.
 dutchpirate

Hydroxycut, etc...
Posted: 1/13/2010 7:48:57 PM
Garbage. All garbage. You might as well save some money and take some caffeine pills if you want an energy jolt because that's all they're really designed to do. "We gave you the energy, you still have to do the work."

This is particularly a hot button for me as when I was quite young I was going over board with losing weight and the GNC retailer sold me an 80 dollar jug of hydroxycut when I was like 15 years old and severely under weight. That stuff could have caused some serious damage to my insides.
 dutchpirate

girl issues
Posted: 1/12/2010 7:53:01 PM
A little punctuation would be nice.... anyway

When dating, women can see as many men as they want. What you need to do is be the best you can be and stand out above the rest so that they end up choosing to be in an exclusive relationship with you. It's a war out there.
 dutchpirate

Has anyone dealt with eruptive gingivitis??
Posted: 1/12/2010 7:49:47 PM
Best to ask a dentist what they recommend for fussy children.

But when it comes down to it, it's tough love. Your child will forgive you in a few years when his mouth isn't completely destroyed and needs REAL work done to it.
 dutchpirate
Msg: 26 (view)

diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/11/2010 3:41:39 PM
No... that's not 'fatty muscle' theres 2 type of tissues... fat tissue and muscle tissue, they are completely different. But you will find fat all over the place including all around the muscles. The more body fat you have, the more creative your body will get in trying to find places to store it.
 dutchpirate

Is a cheat meal helpful once a week?
Posted: 1/10/2010 8:19:56 PM
It's not 'good for you' so much as helpful psychologically for the people who don't like feeling deprived and end up binging. Basically it prevents binging or breaking down, so unless that's a problem for you, then it's not a problem at all.
 dutchpirate
Msg: 98 (view)

funny one liners thread
Posted: 1/9/2010 10:56:49 PM
What's the hardest party about roller blading?

Telling your parents you're gay.
 dutchpirate

in need of suggestions from the ladies
Posted: 1/9/2010 10:53:28 PM
Bring some female friends with you to the bar to dance with so that others can see you having fun and seeing the other girls having fun. Once you get somebody's attention, go back towards the bar or a table and sit in a chair (or have her sit in a chair) that puts you at eye level for conversation.

I can see how it would be difficult though, as most dance clubs are quite crowded and people would be worried about knocking into you.
 dutchpirate
Msg: 4 (view)

diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/9/2010 5:28:08 PM
This is a little confusing the way you're wording it
I'm assuming you mean what you eat vs how much you move

And honestly there's no such thing as one doing better than the other, it's like a balanced equation, if one goes up, the other goes down. If you only do one of the two, then you have to do it to an extreme amount to see weight loss results.

It's a lot easier on your body and your mind to do a bit of both and you will see that as the 'fitter' you become, and the more accustomed you are to good eating, the easier it is to continue doing both and losing more weight.

It always comes down to calories in vs calories burnt, you plug those numbers in, you see no matter what you do you'll never be able to trick them.
 dutchpirate
Msg: 16 (view)

what is she doing?
Posted: 1/8/2010 7:52:11 PM
forget that, sounds like a headache you don't need
 dutchpirate
Msg: 12 (view)

How far do you travel to your gym - or how long?
Posted: 1/8/2010 7:46:19 PM
5 minute drive or 15 minute walk... one of my top priorities for picking a residence if having a facility close by.
 dutchpirate

question
Posted: 1/8/2010 7:45:29 PM
Definitely a question to ask your doctor! Or even a physio.

I would think within a couple weeks its okay to go light if it doesn't hurt too much. I'd stick to something like cycling where your upper body doesn't move around much.
 dutchpirate

How often to switch up the diet plan
Posted: 1/7/2010 8:06:48 PM
It's definitely not bad for you to keep eating the same things if you aren't getting bored from it. But it is good to switch up your sources now and then, such as adding in a couple vegetables or fruits you don't normally eat. But all in all- your digestive system enjoys being given something it already knows how to handle.
 dutchpirate

increasing resistance/weight
Posted: 1/7/2010 8:04:03 PM
Sounds like you know exactly what you're doing hun. Although you will gain muscle mass if you you keep challenging your muscles and giving them enough time between workouts to recover- usually for a female that doesn't result in lots of mass, and especially if you're doing cardio too- look at is as the space that was once filled with fat, now is filled with muscle so even if your arm is the same, if not bigger, it looks much leaner and nicer.

Sometimes for something exciting I'll challenge my muscles with a different work out to see how they fair... ie go kayaking or swimming or tennis, and see how long it takes my muscles to feel worn out. Anyway, you're doing great!
 dutchpirate
Msg: 61 (view)

acne problems
Posted: 1/6/2010 8:55:04 PM
I've had a terrible problem with cystic acne lately (the kind under the skin you don't really see) and it's freaking impossible to get rid of!!!

So far benzol peroxide seems to have worked best... but it's destroyed and dried out my skin... now instead of a bump, its red and flaky lol....

Diet plays a huge role but with skin it requires a lot of patience to see results from most treatments and changes.
 dutchpirate
Msg: 26 (view)

Strict 1200 calorie diet
Posted: 1/6/2010 7:38:41 PM
I would like to second the ABS diet. Just don't consider it a 'diet' so much as a tool to help educate you on how to fuel your body properly and nourish it- NOT restrict it.
 dutchpirate

Any success stories about getting a man to the dentist?
Posted: 1/5/2010 2:40:36 PM
Whether your teeth are ugly or beautiful, if you don't keep up maintenance and take care of them- YOU WILL LOSE THEM!!

But unless you feel like footing a few thousand dollar bill for cosmetic dentistry, I wouldn't worry about what he has now, just health and prevention for future problems.
 dutchpirate

Eat before or after a workout?
Posted: 1/5/2010 2:38:12 PM
This topic has come up many times before... short answer:

Both!

Complex cards before your work out. (give yourself 20-30 minutes to digest before you start running around.)

Protein after your work out. (to repair tissues)

If you are doing a longer day, like trail hiking or a 5k, keep simple sugars and fats on hand like nuts if you need a constant energy fuel.
 dutchpirate
Msg: 11 (view)

Resting in the Gym = Results?
Posted: 1/3/2010 5:17:30 PM
If your goal is to gain muscle mass and strength, you shouldn't be working out 6 times a week. 3 a week is plenty. Your muscles need a day or two between intense workout to repair all the tissue damage and grow back stronger. Time between reps isn't a big deal, but you will be stronger with less resting between reps rather than more.

Cardio is great, and you can do it every day if you want, but weight training really doesn't do any added benefit if you're pushing more than 4 work outs a week.
 dutchpirate
Msg: 16 (view)

Strict 1200 calorie diet
Posted: 1/3/2010 5:12:03 PM
1200 cal plus regular exercise is a great combo if your goal is to lose weight. But keep in mind these 1200 must all be high quality, getting enough protein, complex carbs etc... if your body lacks the nutrients it needs in this caloric restriction, you will crash.

And although effective, it's a recipe for burn out. Eventually you may get so hungry you binge. If you start feeling weak, eat more, just make sure it's healthy nutritious foods, and it won't sabotage your weight loss efforts.
 dutchpirate
Msg: 21 (view)

What are the safest birth control options that won't cause weight-gain?
Posted: 1/2/2010 10:07:54 PM
I use the Mirena IUD as well and I recommend it to anyone. No complaints thus far, I've had it for a year. BUT*** it hurts a LOT to get put in lol... 5 minutes of unbearable pain for 5 years of excellent birth control? yeah... worth it

Show ALL Forums