Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: One week to live
 kelso
Msg: 17 (view)

One week to live
Posted: 5/19/2011 10:56:49 PM
I'd slip into the nearest phone booth......

put on my most comfortable cape......

and...

...you know,

... save the world.

And if that doesn't work, that bottle of wine sounds like a fine idea.
 kelso
Msg: 3 (view)

Did the chemistry score change recently?
Posted: 5/4/2011 10:19:08 PM

I just looked at my Chemistry matches, and women who were rated higher before are now rated lower.
Before when? Things they are a changin' Op. Give it time, and the list will change again.

Was a change made as to how the number is calculated?
Nope, more likely the change was in who signed up.
As an experiment Op, change either the distance, or the number (of results) regarding who shows up in your "chemistry" results. You may get "introduced" to some neat women that normally don't show up in your regular searches.

And hey, thanks Op, you just introduced me to the Sarcasm Society... much obliged!
 kelso

Profile title
Posted: 4/2/2011 8:24:45 AM
^^^ ...and be sure to click on the "update profile" button near the bottom of the page, else your changes won't "take."
 kelso
Msg: 45 (view)

What is the purpose of YOUR life ?
Posted: 3/20/2011 2:42:30 AM

I cannot come up with anything more than this:
- I live to have a good time, and to make sure others have a good time, too

The “pursuit of happiness” is a very worthy and worthwhile endeavour Op (and there's only one constitution in the world, I've been told, with that line written into it). But remember that the “pursuit of happiness” is different than “being happy.” There can, and almost always is, great joy and satisfaction and fulfillment in “the pursuit” of any worthy ideal. Viewing the world from the top of Mount Everest (for instance) is very enjoyable, according to the climbers that have achieved that. But their greatest fulfillment (happiness) came from the many great struggles that preceded that prize, not in achieving the prize itself.

Sounds rather shallow.

No, Op, it is not shallow. Never view yourself as being unworthy of happiness. We feel that way (that our being happy is somehow “shallow”) because of a misplaced sense of guilt (a terrible negative emotion). You have every right to both “be” happy, and to “pursue” your happiness. Others' unhappiness is their own, you didn't choose it for them.

One of the most important books that I read as a young man was Victor Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning. In it, Dr Frankl talks about the importance of finding meaning and purpose in one's life. So, upon reflection, I decided that my purpose in life was simply to live a “happy and successful life.” This worked well for me until I went through some extremely difficult years financially, as many of us have. I discovered that “being happy” and “being successful” were not two separate entities for me, but in fact were one in the same. I learned that if I wasn't successful, than I simply wasn't happy. I, like many others of my gender, equated my success in the business world with how much happiness I was worthy of.

So I reconsidered what my purpose in life was really meant to be. Ask yourself, “Who in this world are the truly happy people?” Is it the wealthy? Often, yes, but not necessarily so. There are both unhappy wealthy people, and very happy poor people. Is it the best looking amongst us? Again, that helps, but we know there often isn't a direct correlation there either. I finally came to the realization, with the help of many mentors, that the happy in our world are those that “serve,” i.e., the people that “serve other human beings.” Mother Theresa is an example. Dr. Albert Schweitzer is an example. St Francis of Assisi may be another example. These were the great “lovers” of their time – they showed their love through their service to others. Their lives were by no means “easy,” but then they knew that “life is in the struggle.”

So back to your question Op: What is “my” purpose in life? It is, simply “to serve.” I view my business life as an opportunity “to serve,” and I view my volunteer work as another wonderful opportunity “to serve.” And wouldn't you know it, as I went forward in life with that attitude, both my financial success and my happiness (and my friendships) have increased immeasurably.

Having said all that, I long ago memorized a quotation by Brian Tracy which goes:

“The purpose of life is to develop loving relationships, for when all is said and done, it will be the quantity and quality of friendships we've made, through time, that will determine how well we have lived.”

In other words Op: He who dies with the most friends wins.
 kelso
Msg: 5 (view)

relationship status problems with users on this site
Posted: 3/20/2011 12:41:58 AM

Has a lot of people encounter that as well? And is that flagable?

It's not “flag-able,” but one may consider it “reportable” (via the “Report User” button at the bottom of their profile) if you feel you wish to spend the time doing so. Alternatively, simply brush it off as an experienced learned and spend your time pursuing what you're really after. You may consider putting the “Must not be married” restriction on your profile. This may (or may not) reduce the number of married women contacting you.

Why be married or in any type of relationship and still come on here looking

The reasons are as varied as the people doing it. Don't judge... just wish them well, and move on.
 kelso
Msg: 2 (view)

Character limit in messages?
Posted: 3/20/2011 12:18:24 AM

does somebody know if theres a character/word limit...

Yes there is, as you've found out.

...and what that limit is

Go to the “Sent Messages” link, open one of your emails that has been truncated, “select all” of the message, paste it into your word processor, and perform a “word count” on the message (perhaps do that to two or three truncated emails if you have that many – this will confirm the allowable number).

You can always send a long email (one that exceeds the word limit) by sending it in “two halves,” i.e., send the first half in one email and the second half in a second email.
 kelso
Msg: 38 (view)

Advice - Father paying for half the wedding providing I don't attend!
Posted: 2/25/2011 8:42:32 PM

I so appreciate the advice and truly, the best I can do is to continue trying to talk/reason with him
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into. Your ex's actions aren't about “reason,” Op, they're about something else. Have you been successful in “reasoning” with him in the past?

“People who love themselves don't hurt other people. The more we hate ourselves the more we want others to suffer.”
 kelso
Msg: 17 (view)

Advice - Father paying for half the wedding providing I don't attend!
Posted: 2/24/2011 8:08:47 PM
The question I pose to you, ..... how do I get out of this 'hole'?

Ask yourself “What's important?” i.e., What's most important to you Op?
Your daughters happiness? I trust that's important to you, correct?
Your own happiness? Hopefully you place a high value on that.
Your daughters biological father's happiness? Probably not so important to you, but perhaps important to your daughter.
How about being petty and vindictive and spiteful? Is that important to you Op? It would be easy to counter offer in kind here, wouldn't it? Are you tempted to be spiteful in return?
How about the concept of forgiveness?
How about your ego?
How about the love you have for your daughter? How important is that?

Now which one is more important than the other?

Are you the only one “in a hole?” Or is your daughter in a bit of a hole as well?
What does your daughter actually want to do? It's her wedding after all.

Now here are some questions you can pose to your daughter:
“How important is having your own biological mother present at your wedding?” Perhaps it's not important to her.
“How important is having your own biological father present at your wedding?”
“Do you value the size of your wedding more, or less, than having the people who love you the most being present at your wedding?”
“Is the instant gratification of a larger wedding more, or less, important than the long term hurt feelings that you'll cause your mother and your mother's extended family?” (You not attending Op, will likely hurt more than just you.)
“What will be the next “interesting situation” your father presents ... no access for grandma to the grand kids?”
“How do you feel knowing that your father has put you in a position where you have to choose one parent over the other?”
“Do you have the courage to make your own decisions?”

Now you and your daughter both need to ask yourselves “What are the consequences?”
What happens if you don't attend, Op? What are the consequences for you, and for your daughter?

Think on paper (write your thoughts down), there's far too many variables here to keep it all straight.

It's ultimately your daughters decision who she invites to her wedding.
It's ultimately your decision whether you pay for any of it or not.
It's also ultimately your decision who you love, and who you forgive.

"If the girls don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy."
(Hey, I can quote Red Green too.)
 kelso
Msg: 62 (view)

Study Linking Vaccine To Autism Found Was Fraud
Posted: 2/21/2011 11:57:12 AM
Op, you may be interested in the interview that CBC Radio's Michael Enright did with Brian Deer on Sunday February 20, 2011. The link is http://www.cbc.ca/thesundayedition/ Click on “Listen to Hour Two.”

But back to the original thread: This wasn't about aspartame or Monsanto. It was about the alleged connection between autism and vaccines. It has been shown that the person primarily responsible for that allegation used fraudulent data. Will this change anyone's mind? Does anyone care? Or is it another case of "don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up"?

“Will this change anyone's mind”
It would be disturbing if it didn't change the minds of those that were left in doubt by the false claims perpetrated (which is what false claims are meant to do – instill the negative emotion of doubt).

“Does anyone care?”
Yes, deeply. We either have an honest, ethical and law abiding society, or we do not. All professionals of Dr. Wakefields (former) calibre need to be held to rigorous standards of ethics. He failed. I've yet to see any mention of the suspected increase in sickness or death rate which will result from the increase in non-immunized children. It's not likely to be zero.

“Or is it another case of 'don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up?' “
If sound scientifically reasoned peer reviewed evidence to the contrary (of vaccination programs) comes forth, I will change my mind at that time. I found no evidence of such in any of the links listed within this thread. I've never found “evidence” based on astrology, mysticism, superstition, paranoia and delusions to hold much value in the fullness of time.

Humans are not good at determining relative risk. Odds are far greater that you will contract and die from H1N1 than the odds you will die from vaccine related Guillain Barre Syndrome or anaphylactic shock, assuming that the vaccine has the same risk as being killed by your airbags.

Well said. May I highly recommend Dan Gardner's Risk, Why we Fear the Things We Shouldn't – and Put Ourselves in Greater Danger.
It took several years (decades) for the environmental movement to accept nuclear generated energy (an industry I was formerly employed in) as the safe effective energy production it is. One wonders how much less CO2 there would be in our atmosphere today if the negative emotion of fear hadn't played such an enormous part of our energy policies in previous decades.

And finally Op, given that this thread is about autism, I'll include a link to some recent words by one of my mentors, Temple Grandin. I have spoken with her at cattle related events, but remain fascinated with her work with autism. For those of you that have seen the movie based on her life will understand the line, “she is different, but not less.” Personally, I think she's become a lot “more.”

http://www.twincities.com/ci_17418020?IADID=Search-www.twincities.com-www.twincities.com&nclick_check=1
 kelso
Msg: 89 (view)

What do you deem as a useless/pointless invention?
Posted: 2/9/2011 4:36:48 PM
A website that lets you know where your "flush" goes. I'm not kidding. It's only available in select locations at present, but I'm sure looking forward to having my city added real soon. Not.

http://www.flushtracker.com/
 kelso

My Profile/Account shows up twice in searches
Posted: 2/1/2011 5:52:08 PM
If you are able to open "both" profiles, check the membership numbers of each (within the URL). If it's the same membership number, you're looking at the same profile (i.e., you've opened the same profile twice). If the membership number is different for each profile, please delete one of them.
 kelso

Formatting Forum Posts
Posted: 1/30/2011 3:34:25 PM
Go to the following thread if you wish to practice, Op:

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts469064.aspx
 Kelso
Msg: 13 (view)

Communication 80% non verbal?
Posted: 11/13/2010 7:55:20 PM
The studies I've read about usually don't go as high as 80%, but they often state at least 60%. As mentioned, we lose both body language and voice inflection when we are writing. The psychology studies are relatively easy to do – design a study to determine “understanding” between two people. Put two people together talking (as per the prepared study) and measure the “understanding” between them. Then, put something between them (or give them both a telephone to speak through), such that body language can no longer be read, and measure “understanding” once again. It drops about 30% from the first test. Finally, have them write to each other, and once again measure “understanding.” The results again show about a 30% (or more) drop in understanding. Psychology Today magazine sometimes mentions the results of these studies. It's a very relevant topic/issue OP, considering we are communicating with each other in these forums without the aid of either body language or voice inflections, although some posters can often make their “voice inflections” known through good writing. Some people use emoticons to express the “feeling” behind a statement. Most of us however, tend not to use them.

Here's a link which you may find of interest Op:
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/1868962?ref=W_Ask&utm_s

And as an aside... regarding:
So I initiate a first e mail to a man ( rare for me).
Call me bored today.......................
My “comments and thoughts” are: good for you! Considering the many threads asking why women don't initiate first contact, please allow me to say thanks. Sometimes you'll be successful Op, sometimes not, but I always respect the effort.
 Kelso
Msg: 13 (view)

How you stay organized in a small apartment?
Posted: 10/7/2010 5:51:15 PM
The first rule of time management is “be neat.” With that Op, read all you can on the subject of time management, there are many books and/or tape programs that are helpful. Your organizational abilities will naturally improve as a result.

Another great thing about paying bills via the internet is that as soon as you get the bill, pay it, but set the “date to be paid” (i.e., the date the money actually transfers out of your account) to a couple of days prior to the bills due date (enough time prior to the due date to ensure the money reaches the payee on time). Then file the paper bill in your “receipts folder” with a hand written note indicating “when paid,” “effective date,” and the confirmation number if you wish. This eliminates most (but not all) of the paper within your “bills to be paid in the future” file, and you've only handled that piece of paper once, which was the time management objective.

Along the same spirit as msg 14, you may find the following link interesting Op (interesting, but not terribly helpful).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4yJGTPUR_0
 Kelso
Msg: 27 (view)

what simple things can you do to improve your apperence?
Posted: 10/5/2010 10:52:44 AM
i figure there must be some obvoius things that i am not doing and need to do...
There may also be some “not so obvious things” Op, that if done well, will make an enormous difference in your life. Often they are just “simple things” done well and done often. But sometimes they're not so simple. Allow me to explain....

Of course good hygiene goes without saying, but go easy on the deodorants (research “smells” with respect to attracting the opposite sex – there's volumes written about this fascinating subject.)

Don't say “go to the gym sometimes...” Rather say “stay in shape,” better yet, put numbers on it (what gets measured gets done). Whether that means going to the gym or working out at home, your objective is to look your best physically, while maintaining superior health. That's not done “sometimes.” It's a life long commitment.

Learn to dress well. You'll notice throughout these forums Op, the comment that “men are visual.” Smile when you read that knowing that if men are visual (which I personally disagree with – it's something else), women are intensely visual. And the first thing she'll see is your appearance. If you're not dressed well, she's not going to necessarily think that you CAN'T dress well. What she's going to think is that you don't know HOW to dress well.” So learn to dress well. Read everything John T. Malloy has written on the subject, and follow his advice and others who have written on the subject of clothing. Be wary of advice from those selling clothes. It doesn't necessarily come without a vested interest. Incidentally Op, being fastidious about your dress and your appearance will not only help you in your private life, it will help immeasurably in your work life as well, especially if there are women in your office.

Understand what's truly important to you, and in turn get a feel for what her values are. A man who understands “who he is” and “what he stands for,” or “won't stand for” is far more attractive to a women then a man who's unclear or vague about this. Understand what your values are, and never never compromise them. You'll always feel sh'ty about yourself if you do. Several years ago a research study was completed on what makes relationships last. The conclusion the authors came to was that the longest running relationships lasted because of a similarity in values. Nature always demands a balance, and you will therefore always be more attractive to the women who's values, beliefs, morals and ethics are similar to your own. They don't need to be exactly the same, they just need to be “in balance.”

Read about “virtues” and decide which ones you would like to have and set to work developing them. Are you a patient person Op. Patience is a virtue. Are you punctual... are you courteous.... are you reliable... are you honest... are you respectful... are you loyal... do you live with integrity? These are virtues to aspire to. Remember Op, that, although it is true that some men will choose their mate based on looks alone, the vast majority of women choose their mate based on character. So be of sound character. A good looking man without character, in the long run, holds no chance with the women who chooses her man based on tremendous character, even if he is of average “looks.”

Smile. Smiling denotes acceptance of another person. We each have a very strong need to feel acceptance from others, especially with potential mates.

Never never never never never destructively criticize her for anything! It's hurtful, it's harmful, it is spiteful, and it doesn't change a damn thing. Don't do it! In fact never destructively criticize anyone for anything, especially your children.

Understand that, in communication, men tend to be direct, women tend to be indirect. When you're driving near the ice cream parlour, and she says, “Do you feel like ice-cream?” Don't say “Nope” and drive by. She likely was interested in stopping for ice cream. Be aware of what she is really asking, in all things.

Express sincere complements, often. On appearance (“Your hair looks great tonight...”), on
characteristics (“You're always so wonderfully optimistic...”), on mannerisms (“That's neat how you arrange your desk that way....”), on possessions (“That's an interesting display of sand, what countries are they from?...”). But don't fake sincerity, she'll read you from a mile away. If you make the efforts to make her feel valuable, special, and the important person she is, her estimation of you will improve enormously.

Become a good conversationalist by becoming interested in what SHE is interested in, and better yet, become interested in the things that women are generally interested in. Read, or at least browse through magazines such as GQ, Vogue, Bazaar, and Cosmopolitan. If she reads magazines about growing flowers, then you should too. If she reads wood working magazines, read that as well. Don't try to become an expert on things that carry no interest for you Op, but try to gain an understanding of her world so you can become a part of it.
And the best way to become a good conversationalist Op, is learn to listen well, especially don't interrupt. Men are far far more likely to interrupt a women than a women is to interrupt a man (observe this the next time you're with a group of people of both genders). Interrupting is a terrible habit, and is nothing less than a sign of disrespect.
And if you're a bit uneasy about carrying on a conversation, join Toastmasters. You will be amazed that as your ability to speak in public improves, so too does your ability to carry on impromptu conversations in private, especially in situations where one may be a bit nervous (like first dates).

Increase your earning power. Women's highest priority is rarely what you earn Op, but they are also not martyrs. Given a choice they would prefer marrying someone that has the ability to provide a comfortable living for both of you, and that's especially true if you're starting a family. And be smart with money. Save and invest wisely. Especially don't piss it away.

Foreplay begins in our minds Op. If you're viewed as an intelligent thoughtful man, you'll be far more attractive to a larger audience, and a much higher calibre of women, than if you are viewed otherwise. How do you become more intelligent? Seminars, workshops, courses, but ultimately if you are not now a reader Op, please become one, and not just of things “educational,” but include things which are inspirational and motivational as well.

Make sure you invest time with the people you love, especially with your mate. Children spell love t-i-m-e. And so too do wives. Remember that life is the study of attention: “We pay attention to that which we value... we ignore that which we do not.”

Know who you are, where you're going, and what you want in life. A man with goals and aspirations in life will run circles around men that do not. (He'll earn a lot more money as well.)

Work on yourself every day. If there's something about you, be it physical in nature, or mental, or emotional, that you feel is not helping you, then get to work and change it. Ask yourself, “Where does it hurt?” Then accept responsibility for whatever it is that isn't right and get to work on improving it.

Does all this require effort? Our values Op, are ultimately and always shown in our actions. Never place ephemeral things like fame or fortune above the important people in your life. There should never be a higher priority in your life than the woman you love and the children you raise together. They are absolutely worth the efforts. I wish you well.
 Kelso

Quick question about current in a superconductor
Posted: 9/16/2010 5:23:30 PM
Great question OP, I've been laying awake at nights wondering that myself... Okay, I lied, but I'll give it my best shot anyway, with the caveat that I'm a Mech Eng, not an Electrical Eng (so any Electrical's can correct me). I don't understand your “paint in a spinning can” analogy, so I may not be answering the question you've asked.

Say I have a large...
Whether large, medium, or small, it shouldn't matter.

...super conductive...
but not likely operating at absolute zero (temperature), correct? If not, then it's not perfectly “super conductive,” which means there is still some friction, albeit small. That's important, which I'll get to in a minute.

Does the current spread throughout the whole ring evenly as it travels (like paint in a spinning can)?
Yes and no. The current (the moving electrons) will spread ( “are” spread) throughout the whole ring, but the speed of those electrons will not be even across a cross section of the ring. Because the electrons close to the outer edge of the ring will experience more friction, they will move slower than the electrons near the centre (of the cross section) of the ring. Current within a wire operates the same way, as does water in a hose. There's less friction near the centre, so things move faster there than things towards the edge.

Or does it travel around the ring, mostly grouped together (like a train around a track)?
Unless there is a force “forcing” the electrons into a line (like a train on a track) then, no, there is no reason for them to do so. They'll fill, and use, the space in which they are allowed to travel.
 Kelso

Women will see men of the same height or taller...
Posted: 9/11/2010 8:01:18 AM
You may find this video interesting Op ( http://bigthink.com/ideas/20749). It refers to mens height about half way through its approximately 8 minute length. Prof. Ariely's other work (and books) are quite interesting as well. You can find several videos of his on You Tube. This one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhjUJTw2i1M&feature=fvw) makes reference to dating (sort of) at the 15:40 minute mark (of it's 20 minute length). The video discusses our behaviour to “designed forms” which we can compare with the forms we are required to fill out on internet dating sites. Be sure to listen right to the end. Enjoy.
 Kelso
Msg: 47 (view)

Does not want children
Posted: 7/31/2010 7:51:58 AM
It's not surprising OP, to find the responses to your question as unique and variable as the people responding. If we dig further into your question, what you would really like to know is (something to the affect of) “Are there women within my desired age range that would be accepting of me given that I've willingly accepted the responsibility of raising a young granddaughter.” My gut tells me “of course.” There will be many women that would rather choose not to enter into a relationship that includes children, but it is also not unusual to find women at the lower end of your stated age range that have children of their own as young as your granddaughter and occasionally much younger. So although you've stated you are not looking for a mother for your granddaughter, please don't neccesarily rule that out. You may indeed find someone that both accepts you and would love to take on the role of mother for your granddaughter.

Having said that, from your comment:

A roll model would be very nice, but not a mother.
Op, please consider talking with the Big Brothers Big Sisters organization (http://www.bbbs.org). There is a chapter in your community (http://www.bbbscoastalempire.org/). You may be very pleasantly surprised at the calibre of people volunteering for this organization. They can be outstanding role models.

Also Op, a women going through a similar situation, in which she is also raising her children's children, would be more understanding of your situation. This is a long shot (and “just a thought”) but there is an organization in Canada called Grandmothers to Grandmothers (http://www.grandmotherscampaign.org/) started by the Stephen Lewis Foundation. It's a volunteer organization of (mostly) grandmothers raising money for and providing assistance to the many grandmothers in Africa who are now raising grandchildren due to the death of the parents as a result of HIV/AIDs. My involvement with this organization has been very limited, but I did sense that it attracted women who were also raising grandchildren (those going through a situation are attracted to helping those also going through a similar situation). There are chapters in the U.S., but the furthest one south appears to be in Boston, which isn't helpful for you, but there may be a similar organization in your area. Just a thought....

Your wife died much too young Sir... your daughter died much much too young. I am sorry.
 Kelso
Msg: 20 (view)

date the ugly guy
Posted: 7/28/2010 6:53:36 PM
Thanks OP... finally... a thread bringing hope to the masses.

Somehow we need to make the last paragraph from your article mentioned in the OT, required reading.

I now have one hundred free copies of that book to hand out....
 Kelso
Msg: 4 (view)

Private image-picture
Posted: 7/26/2010 5:28:14 PM

By the way, is there an easy way to go to the forum?

Yes, bookmark: http://forums.plentyoffish.com/
 Kelso

blocking ex
Posted: 7/23/2010 5:31:50 PM

she lives 1000s of km away from me, yet it always cmes up on every search no matter how close i do it to this town...

If you're serious about the "1000s of km," then at least one of you has the incorrect postal code listed in your profile information (our postal code ultimately determines "where" we are, not what we write in as our city). Unless you live in a very sparseley populated area (and you don't) you shouldn't be getting matches, or search results from that far away. If she's the one with the incorrect postal code, then she's either made a mistake, or she's done it on purpose. If you feel she's done it on purpose with the view of stalking you, then it's your prerogative to report her via the "report username" button at the bottom of her profile.
 Kelso
Msg: 110 (view)

What's with this new relationship history question?
Posted: 7/17/2010 9:59:41 AM

They need to say everything they want to say in the subject line, because that's all I can see...lol.
I wonder how many characters the subject line holds?
This is where "text speak," that so many of us detest, will come in handy.
 Kelso
Msg: 14 (view)

Using the favorites list to stalk someone
Posted: 7/11/2010 9:09:19 AM

A mod can correct me if I am wrong, but if someone with a hidden profile has me added to their favs I can still see them (while they are there)

Yes, when I am logged into the 'dating side' of pof (as apposed to the 'forum side'), I am able to open any of the profiles of people that have me on their favorites list, even though some of them have their profiles hidden, i.e., I can't view their profiles when I am not logged in.

I'm pretty sure he's reading this thread.

Yes he is, or others that you have written in. You currently have your profile hidden (I can't open your profile when I'm not logged into the dating side), but I can open your profile from this thread, when I am logged into the dating side. It's the only way "turd" can currently find you as well.

You need to have access to his profile long enough to open it and report him via the "report username" button at the bottom of his profile. Reporting him to the forum mods will also be helpful, not in the sense that they can remove his profile (mods can't) but they can also channel your concerns to Admin.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I know some of you could write books from your experiences here.
 Kelso
Msg: 66 (view)

foreign brides.. your thoughts
Posted: 6/30/2010 9:26:41 PM

foreign brides.. your thoughts

I found one in the good ol' USA, ...couldn't be happier.

There's an implied assumption here that I may be missing....
I'm guessing you're not from the "good ol' USA?"
So......... Canadian, Brit, Aussie???
Either way congrats.
And if you're a Canuck...
You two have a very long weekend of celebrating (July 1st and July 4th).

I know a couple of great ladies from Newfoundland.
Now those gals are foreign.

Anyone read post #2?
Could we maybe pay her to come back to these forums... that was awesome!
 Kelso

Could the USA and Canada use garbage as a safe energy source ?
Posted: 6/30/2010 8:34:38 PM
“Yes,” Op to your headline question, with the caveat that “safe” is a very relative term. (Safe to humans?... Safe to the environment?... Safe relative to other?...)
Several North American land fills are now capturing the methane produced (by the landfill) and using it as the fuel it is.

Three major differences come to mind though between North America and Europe.
Europeans pay (significantly) more for energy than North Americans, so the economics of building such a plant works in their favour. Secondly, Europe's availability of land for land fills isn't nearly as great as North Americas, which increases their costs of disposal. So, from those two points, they're reducing a “higher cost” and gaining on a “larger revenue.” Double benefit. And thirdly, population densities are different, which helps their economics. I'm not saying NA can't or shouldn't do this, especially certain cities whose landfills are quickly filling up (Toronto for example, comes to mind). I am saying “the numbers” may be vastly different.

Yes, the article is “interesting” in a number of ways. I highly appreciate the science involved, I decry the reporting (but understand I wasn't her intended audience).
Far cleaner than conventional incinerators, this new type of plant converts local trash into heat and electricity.
Besides the filters and scrubbers added, incinerators are made “cleaner” (meaning, at least to me, less pollutants into the atmosphere) simply by running them hotter. The science isn't terribly complicated, but the materials used to make the furnace have to withstand those temperatures.

Their use has not only reduced the country’s energy costs and reliance on oil and gas...
I would have to see the numbers on the first part of that statement. It may have reduced the country's energy cost, or it may not have. What it did was reduce their land filling costs. I have a bit of trouble with the second part of the statement, vis a vis, oil is primarily used for transportation. They would have reduced the “...reliance on oil...” only with respect to the amount of oil they are now not using in their oil fired electrical generating stations, which aren't very common – they wouldn't have reduced any oil imported for transportation purposes (I'm assuming zero electrically driven autos here, which isn't quite true).

...many times more dioxin is now released from home fireplaces and backyard barbecues than from incineration.
Similar response to post 4 – that statement is a bit clumsy. Our BBQs tend to burn propane or natural gas or charcoal, our fireplaces burn whatever we throw into them, wood, the baby's rattle.... But neither of them have the filters and scrubbers or the high tech furnace that a modern incinerator has, so I would hope that at all times they should be releasing less dioxins into the air, and most certainly they will on a per unit of energy basis.

Why Americans Are Reluctant
Matt Hale, director of the Office of Resource Conservation and Recovery of the United States Environmental Protection Agency, said the reasons that waste-to-energy plants had not caught on nationally were the relative abundance of cheap landfills in a large country, opposition from state officials who feared the plants could undercut recycling programs and a “negative public perception.”
The “relative abundance of cheap landfills...” means (to me) that the economics just don't work out in the areas where they have lots of cheap land. In certain areas these may make economic sense, in others they won't.
The “...undercutting recycling programs...” is likely a “vested interest” or “political” issue, as in, “my community just spent X dollars trying to get this blue box program working, and now you want me to throw it all away?....” It may simply take some education to realize that it's not “recyclables” that are getting burned – the blue box programs will remain in place.
The “negative public perception” is likely a response to “burning.” We've been told over and over that the “burning of fossil fuels” is bad, so when we hear “incinerator” we think “more burning.”

Embracing the technology would not only reduce greenhouse gas emissions and local pollution, but also yield copious electricity, it said.
I would really like to see the numbers here. For someone like Toronto, who sends 400 plus trucks full of garbage per day down the 401 to Detroit (are my Toronto friends still doing this?), I sure hope the city politicians are taking a look at this. And if they are, I hope they're putting a value on the increased safety of getting 400 trucks off the 401 (they will be). As for “copious?” It will help, but it would be a very small percentage of the total NA market – it won't be copious.

“The hazardous elements are concentrated and handled with care rather than dispersed as they would be in a landfill”
“Dispersed?” As in floating ever so closer to the intake of the city water supply? When we bury something in a properly designed landfill (one that doesn't leak) we've both “concentrated” it (in the land fill) and only handled it once, and we've done so without “concentrating” it into a highly toxic paste. But words like “highly toxic” are subjective and “scary” without further explanation, and my response to such words is always “relative to what?” We are all comfortable transporting “highly toxic” stuff around – the bottle of pain killers in our medicine cabinet, the box of table salt in our kitchen cupboard, the gallon of bleach below our sink, the tank of propane sitting beside our BBQ, the tank of gas in our cars. We're comfortable because we tend not to think of them as “highly toxic” - but they are, or can be. Some of us also deal with a certain amount of radioactive stuff every so often, but it's only “highly toxic” if we don't respect and handle it properly (the poison is in the dose).

Yes Op, there may be a lot of merit in building these incinerators in certain North America cities where “the numbers” and perhaps the reasons are similar to Europes. In spite of my perhaps apparent dismay with the article, I don't fault the author for writing it, she's simply doing her job, and besides, it got us discussing it after all (or was that your fault ;) ), and maybe that was her intent. It bothers me that she titles her article the way she does “Europe Finds Clean Energy in Trash, but U.S. Lags” implying that we have some catching up to do. She could have more honestly entitled the article “Europe Finds Clean Energy in Trash, but U.S. Numbers Likely Different”
 Kelso

Incorrect Profile Information Unable to Change
Posted: 6/30/2010 2:20:50 PM
Great Scott! You "Joined: 3/20/2009" and you've been putting up with this issue for over a year?
Full points for patience.

From ^^^: Agreed, the only way to "fix" the problem at this point is to start over, as per the message at the bottom of the "edit profile" page:

You can change your birthday and gender within 2 weeks of signing up. After that it is assumed to be correct and can't be changed.

I haven't gotten any messages in a year...

You would have received some interesting ones prior to that, I'll bet...
 Kelso

Unique solution to obnoxious neighbors
Posted: 6/29/2010 5:25:26 PM
I know a few men who, if topless, would cause this five year old more trauma than any woman. Hel they scare me.

Is anyone else wondering how a five year old is driving “a loud all-terrain vehicle for hours on her quiet street.”
 Kelso
Msg: 44 (view)

how do you do homeless?
Posted: 6/28/2010 7:51:06 PM
Regarding housing: I can't remember which website I read this on Op, but it stated that St. George, Utah is considered a “snowbird” community. At this time of year, there should be several houses or condos etc sitting empty. Perhaps one or several of them require house sitting or yard work or whatever.... Others may have advice regarding this.

Regarding work (for the Op, or for others currently looking for work): The following are links to articles which discuss the need for construction workers in Saskatchewan and, to a lessor extent, in Manitoba.

http://www.joconl.com/article/id39352

http://www.dcnonl.com/article/id39434/

That's just brain dead. A 51 year old woman is going to start a career as a derrick hand on an oil rig in a different country?
No, not likely as a derrick hand, that is a younger persons job. (And not likely as a derrick hand near Fort Mac – it's heavy oil).
There are however, both men and women who work in Fort McMurray (and elsewhere in North America), in jobs they've had to learn since their fiftieth birthday. I've met two women on pof, both in their late forties, who have recently learned to drive heavy equipment in Saskatchewan's oil patch.

I've long since forgotten the source, but a few years ago read an article about companies understanding just how expensive downtime is on their heavy (and very expensive) equipment. Some companies were choosing women over men, especially over younger men, to drive their equipment, because there was a marked difference in their repair bills and downtime expense. Given my own experience, I'm inclined to agree.
 Kelso
Msg: 20 (view)

how do you do homeless?
Posted: 6/26/2010 6:59:26 AM

Has anyone out there been thru this? How did you servive?
I've never been homeless Op, but when I was a young man I lived in my truck one summer while doing site work. I drove to a nearby Provincial Park (which was free) after my 12 hour shift, so it was very much like camping. I ate and showered at site. A per diem to pay for lodging in a nearby town was supplied regardless (receipts were not required), which I saved. It made my summer “take home” pay a lot higher.
Do you have a vehicle? In a pinch, could you stay in it for a few days if it comes to that?

he was a truck driver and gone alot of the time
Meaning that he was a long haul driver, correct?... which means the truck he was driving had a sleeper (as apposed to a “day cab” - a truck which doesn't have a bed in it). Does your ex own the truck? Would you be willing to learn how to drive it? Would he be willing to teach you? You have both a job and a place to stay if you're in a big truck. If it's a company truck, does the company have a replacement driver for it, or is it parked? Where ever it's parked, and regardless of who owns it, could you see if you could use it? If you can use it as your home until your “ex” gets back to work, can you resume the deal that you initially had (caring for the house, walking the dog etc), if you haven't yet found work.

What you really need Op, is both a place to stay, and a job to pay for your living expenses. Without yet reading a response to the “where are your kids” question, I'll assume they're out of the picture. What jobs have you worked at in the past? What are you qualified to do? And, regardless of qualifications (within reason), what would you like to do? Your first and third interests are “animals” and “outside stuff.” Can you work with livestock - either cattle or sheep (lots of sheep in Utah, baaaaaa)? Can you drive a quad? If you answered yes to most of that you could likely find a couple hundred names of ranches in the US that are looking for help. The pay might not be great, but they usually provide lodging and often meals as well. (And there's lots of single cowboys in the country.)
Are you willing to move to a different part of the country, or to Canada. Where I'm from in western Canada, we can't find enough workers! - there isn't, and never was a recession here.

Can you do anything in the construction trades? From wikipedia:
From 1990 to 2000, St. George beat Las Vegas by a mere 0.6% as the fastest-growing metropolitan area in the U.S. This trend has continued, with St. George being declared the second fastest-growing metropolitan area in the U.S. (behind Greeley, Colorado) in September 2005.[4] In 2007, the metropolitan area (defined as Washington County) had an estimated 140,908 residents.[5] The population of St. George and surrounding cities in 2050 is projected to be at more than 700,000 residents.
Op, I'm not sure what's happening now, but your town was having, and will have again, a construction boom. If you don't currently have skills useful for that industry, would you be willing to learn? Even if it was doing payroll?

I am not someone anyone would date right now so I am leving P.O.F. I have nothing to offer at this time.
I understand you may be feeling scared and a bit down about things Op, but I'm going to respond with “Nonsense!” on that comment. A job is what you do Ma'am, it certainly does not define you. “Being broke is temporary, being poor is a state of mind.” I don't care if the women I'm about to date has a job or not... your ex didn't care that you had a job, in fact it was helpful for him in the beginning that you didn't... and several other men in southern Utah won't care either, but if you leave PoF, you're going to make it a whole bunch harder for those boys to find ya. Right? In fact if you worded your profile differently, explaining your situation, you'll receive more help than you could imagine. Granted, you'll likely receive a lot of live-in FWB offers, and that's your decision if you go that route, but you'll also receive some very helpful assistance. All the best.
 Kelso
Msg: 14 (view)

earthquake in hamilton canada!!
Posted: 6/25/2010 1:42:07 PM
There are some comments regarding "objects falling" in this Ottawa Business Journal article:
http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Non-residential/2010-06-23/article-1410079/UPDATE%3A-Ottawa-buildings-stand-up-to-quake/1

Here is a list of quakes that occurred in Canada during the month of June to date.

That's an amazing list, and just for the first 24 days in June!
May I ask where your source was for the list provided?
 Kelso
Msg: 7 (view)

earthquake in hamilton canada!!
Posted: 6/23/2010 4:47:44 PM

PS: Canada does experience earthquakes. Take a look:

http://earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca/recent/maps-cartes/index-eng.php?tpl_region=east

From the same "Natural Resources Canada" map the following map shows the Fault Lines in the country:

http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/maps/archives/4thedition/environment/land/027_28?maxwidth=1600&maxheight=1400&mode=navigator&upperleftx=1328&upperlefty=1008&lowerrightx=2928&lowerrighty=2132&mag=0.25

A 5.0 earthquake is not a small earthquake. My first thought was did it trigger the nuclear reactors into shutting down (I've worked at Bruce A, Pickering B, and G2 in Quebec). I've not heard anything yet, so I'm assuming not.

This had the potential for folks to really feel "trapped on Bay Street" today - at least more than normal.
 kelso
Msg: 19 (view)

dumb question--tire pressure
Posted: 6/11/2010 3:39:50 PM
First OP, proper tire pressure has a great deal to do with safety and any questions related to safety tend to be treated with the respect they deserve. They are never dumb, please don't hesitate to ask them.

I've always been told to check your tire pressure when the tire is cold, but what difference does that number make
Cold in this case means “prior to driving,” it has nothing to do with ambient air temperature. Tires should be checked regularly, so whether it's plus 80 or minus 30, you check them prior to driving, and set them at the proper air pressure at that time, regardless of air temperature.

The “difference ... that it makes” can be several psi. There are so many variables involved that an actual number (psi increase) can't be stated. If a tire that is under inflated is driven on, it's sidewalls flex more, generating more heat, resulting in the tire pressure increasing a greater percentage than if the tire had started at the proper pressure.

Two equal sized tires at equal pressures in the late evening can quite easily have a variance of 2 psi by mid morning, if one is fully in the sun, and one is fully in shade. Black tires attract a lot of solar gain.

I fully agree with msg 7. When it comes to tires, heat is the enemy.

if you look on the sidewall of your tire you will see the psi maximum for that tire.
The maximum pressure stated on the tire is only needed when you are carrying the maximum weight that the tire is rated at (which should also be stated on the tire). You don't need, nor should you carry, the maximum pressure if the load on the tire isn't any where near maximum. This is usually only relevant to truck owners who can vary the weight they are carrying quite significantly. Passenger cars can normally be set at their ideal pressure (the one on the door column) and left there, unless you're planning to fill the car with passengers on a really hot day and go for a long drive – only then would I take the tire pressures to their maximum.

Op, I would be inclined to run your tires with more air pressure than usual at temperatures exceeding 100. Tires soften a lot in the heat, and the added air pressure will reduce the extra flexing that a softened tire will experience. Please check with your local tire shop though.

In western and far northern Canada (and likely in Timmins) we have a neat way of telling whether it's cold or not in the winter. When you start driving your vehicle and can feel the thump, thump, thump of the flat spot on the tires for about two or three blocks worth of driving, then you know it's cold. After two or three blocks the tires have flexed enough, and therefore warmed up enough, such that the flat spot has softened out. On those days OP, we'd trade you for those 100 plus temps you're experiencing now.
 kelso
Msg: 309 (view)

highlighted text - test thread
Posted: 6/7/2010 6:08:50 PM
This sentence is quoted.

This sentence is bold.
This sentence is italicized.
This sentence is underlined.
 kelso
Msg: 123 (view)

When it comes to dating what best describes your intent?
Posted: 6/5/2010 11:46:14 AM
Our choices are: (something to the effect of:)
A.) Remain a member of pof with the ability to read and send email, plus contribute to the forums.
B.) Remain a member of pof, contribute to the forums, but do not have the ability to send or read email.
C.) Do nothing within pof, but maintain an account.
D.) Delete pof profile.

If we choose A, we're presented with a series of sub-choices, many of which are required (forced), one of those sub-choices being our need to answer the question of intents. This thread is dealing with the question of how best to answer those five choices of “intent,” but I agree that it is often helpful to remind ourselves that we do have other choices, as unsavory to us they may be. Please remember, for those of you seeking some kind of relationship, that the relationship is your objective, pof is simply one of several tools you can use to achieve that objective.

Moving on...

For clarity OP, I'll repeat what's been presented to us, the five “intents” questions, and the corresponding display on our profiles:

1. I'm looking for casual dating, no commitment = username isn't seeking a relationship or any kind of commitment

2. I want to date but nothing serious = username wants to date but nothing serious

3. I want a relationship = username is looking for a relationship

4. I am putting in serious effort to find someone = username is actively seeking a relationship

5. I am serious and want to find someone to marry = username is actively seeking a relationship

There seems to be two general concerns to these choices,
1.) Choosing the one that I would like to choose, results in my inbox filling with mail I don't wish to receive, because, experience has indicated, the men (mostly) will view me as “an easy mark.”
2.) There doesn't seem to be a “best fit” choice for me. The questions either aren't specific enough, or they simply fall short of what I would describe as my real intention here.

Re “Concern #1”: (directed mostly at the OP, as she made the “easy mark” comment.)
It hasn't been that long since you made your intents choice, but have you (or others) experimented to see if choosing one answer over the other results in more or less “easy mark” type mail? You've made your choice out of fear - fear of having your inbox filled up with “wanna fvck” messages, instead of what you really would like to choose. You are in affect placing a higher value on not being bothered with “inappropriate mail,” versus choosing and pursuing your real intent, hence your feeling of “caving.” I personally would rather you choose the one you really want, and “stand your ground” against the mail you feel you'll be receiving. At least then, you won't be compromising your (positive) values.

Re “Concern #2”: Is it helpful, to at least some of you, if you respond to the intents question by taking the long view (as apposed to the near term) in mind. Some of you have mentioned that you would choose a long term monogamous relationship if that came along, but you're only wishing to date for now. And my question is, yes, but where do you really wish to be in five or ten years? (God forbid we're all still here, right?) If, in that time, you'd really prefer to be in a long term monogamous relationship, then make your decisions and choices today with that in mind. (As an aside: please see the work of Dr Edward Banfield regarding “long time perspective” http://theleadership.wordpress.com/2006/06/19/long-time-perspective/ )

If you don't ever wish to be married or in a long term monogamous relationship, I don't think I can offer any suggestions. In this case the genders have very different concerns (I've yet to hear of any man on pof complain about all the 'inappropriate' mail he receives).
Good luck to all with however you choose.
 kelso
Msg: 303 (view)

Text Formatting (Quoting, Bolding etc.) - Practice Thread
Posted: 6/2/2010 11:59:10 AM

comment within quote
Followed, without a space, with writing.

comment within quote
Followed, with a space, with writing.

comment within quote

Followed with writing after hitting enter.
 kelso
Msg: 29 (view)

When it comes to dating what best describes your intent?
Posted: 5/30/2010 11:23:18 PM

The only change I would make to this is the option to change it if one truly has a change of heart in their intent.

You can. A drop down menu exists within the 'edit profile' section allowing one to change it at will.

OP asked (msg 24):

Are these the only two that will be showing up?

If you choose #1, the following shows on your profile:
“username” isn't seeking a relationship or any kind of commitment
If #2, get: “username” wants to date but nothing serious
If #3: “username” is looking for a relationship
If either 4 or 5: “username” is actively seeking a relationship
 kelso

I'm losing my lawn to clover!
Posted: 5/6/2010 9:47:54 PM
Do you know which clover you have? Some of them are quite beautiful and may “work” within the appearance of a lawn if you are accepting of a lawn that isn't solid green.

Some “natural” methods of killing them are: boiling water, flame/fire, vinegar, or mechanically pulling.
Pouring boiling hot water on specific clover plants only, when they are interspersed within the grass that you're trying to keep, is difficult to impossible to do. Ditto using a flame - trying to burn certain unwanted plants out of grass that you wish to keep is essentially impossible. Although if you want to wipe out a small area of clover and don't care about the grass that's intermixed, boiling water, or torching will work (and the bigger the torch, the greater the odds of attracting some passing by single man – have you ever seen men in the presence of a flame thrower? We turn into little kids!)
Vinegar is used as if it was a herbicide. Spray, or wipe it on the unwanted plants leaves. You can use regular household vinegar, or ask your local garden supply place if they have something stronger.
Mechanically simply means pulling them out by hand, or if you have a large enough area that's overrun with clover, use the roto-tiller on that area, and reseed to grass (or re-turf) afterwards.

If you are having trouble with clover, odds are so are all your neighbours (or they're cheating on the pesticide ban). If they aren't winning the battle with keeping it out of their lawn, then just maybe it will become an accepted “weed” to have in the community. If you have a patch that you've given up on, and it's off to the side, as an experiment, mow around it if you can, allowing it to flower. You may like the looks of it.

And if all else fails, chickens and rabbits love clover.
 kelso
Msg: 8 (view)

Keeps telling me I'm not allowed to contact this member
Posted: 5/5/2010 3:26:52 PM
To OP and Sleepwell, please see: http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts11786555.aspx
specifically msgs: 11,12,15, and 21.

I realize you get what you pay for (0 dollars!) and don't expect to get help

Assistance will always come quickly to those who ask politely. With respect, success, at anything, is related more to effort, and rarely to any financial payment.
 kelso
Msg: 6 (view)

Motorcycle Roadtrip Worries
Posted: 4/27/2010 10:01:47 PM
First, OP, it's great to hear about your upcoming trip.

Your comfort level depends on a few things, but first is the bike itself. With two people (and two peoples' worth of luggage), it's nice to have one of the bigger bikes. Two people on a smaller cruiser isn't "un-doable," it's just more comfortable on a larger bike.

The first thing that usually gets changed on a bike, especially with long trips in mind, is the seat. There are many after market seats that are a lot more comfortable than the bike's original seat. If you think you may make more long distance trips with the same bike, it's worth investing in a really good seat.

If I've done the math correctly, 1500 miles in seven days is a comfortable four hours of driving per day on average. If you're not in a hurry to get anywhere, that's a decent amount of time each day. More than that and your butt starts to let you know. If you were each on your own bike, I'd suggest more hours per day is fine. But with two of you, on the first trip, four hours sounds about right.

I'll echo the great advice you've received in msg 4, and add that as well as dressing for the warmth, dress also for safety. I learned early that the reason bikers wear leathers is that it saves your skin if you ever have to lay your bike over (go into a skid), and you always want to choose a skid over a collision. Our bodies often come through skids if we're wearing the right protective gear (leathers or the 'high tech' stuff of today). Our bodies rarely survive a crash into something solid. If you're not driving, then you don't have control of the bike, and you never have control over what other drivers are going to do. All you can do is protect yourself as best you can, in case the worst happens.

One other thing that can make a trip unpleasant is bad weather. Either take along some good rain gear, or plan not to ride in bad weather if that is possible (but know that you'll still 'get caught' in at least one sudden shower). Again, rain and wind don't have to stop the trip, it's just a whole bunch more comfortable riding in nice weather. Pack your gear in something waterproof as well, if you can (waterproof, preferably hard cased, saddle bags).

I'll also strongly agree with "getting off the main roads." Ridin' Interstates is fine, but ridin' through rural America is an absolute joy. When the two of you see a neat place to stop, it's so much easier to do so if you're not on an interstate, or major highway. You'll run into the locals in the area, and don't be surprised if you spend several minutes talking to someone about your trip, every time you stop. Many of us ride, and many more out their wish they could. You'll meet a lot of both kinds on your trip.

Make sure you can communicate with each other. If you are both wearing helmets that make it hard to talk to each other, than use hand signals, or shoulder taps to communicate. Car rides are made great because of ones ability to talk with each other. You need to be able to do the same on the bike.

The Boorman/McGregor films are "must see" dvds, not for "how to do a long distance trip" (they spent a ton of cash on their trips - and you don't need to) but just to get a feel for how incredible it is be one of the select few that gets to do what you're about to do. Be careful though, those films are addictive :) .

And yes OP, we do only live once, and as you know, we don't all get to grow old. So make the most of your opportunities while you can. It's about memories, experiences, and friendships along the way. You won't be bored!

All the best and enjoy the ride!
 kelso
Msg: 22 (view)

whats up with coke
Posted: 4/24/2010 8:58:08 PM
Some fun stuff from http://www.casamusica.com/Cookbook/Reference.htm
(the "C" refers to Coke)

- In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of C in the truck to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.
- You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of C and it will be gone in two days.
-To clean a toilet: Pour a can of C into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. (The citric acid in C removes stains from vitreous china).
- To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in C.
- To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of C over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.
- To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in C to the rusted bolt for several minutes.
- To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of C into the baking pan wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the C for a sumptuous brown gravy.
- To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of C into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.
- The active ingredient in C is phosphoric acid. Its pH level is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bone and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.
- Many bone surgeons will not operate if the patient consumes C during the recovery period. C delays healing of bones by making the body's supply of calcium deficient.
- To carry C syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for highly corrosive materials.
- The distributors of C have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

Perhaps OP, considering the fourth last point above, either the ph level is changing (perhaps a good thing?), or your body is getting used to the ph level.

when i order a coke in a restaurant and its flat, i let them know about it.

I've always thought the restaurant pop was simply further watered down to increase profit margins. Either that or the carbonation has gassed off.... dunno(?)

a little jd is probably better for ya than coke

Yup, ya could be right there, but you can't find a better mix than coke, and a wee splash of water, with some Captain Morgan's spiced rum. Cheers.
 kelso

how now; did he writest of POF forsooth?
Posted: 4/23/2010 7:29:59 PM
My favourite, often simply shortened to: "to thine own self be true..."

Polonius:
This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.
Farewell, my blessing season this in thee!

Laertes:
Most humbly do I take my leave, my lord.
Hamlet Act 1, scene 3, 78–82

"To thine own self be true" is Polonius's last piece of advice to his son Laertes, who is in a hurry to get on the next boat to Paris, where he'll be safe from his father's long-winded speeches."
 kelso

Matches and queriable fields
Posted: 4/21/2010 8:22:42 PM

Does anyone know why I will get a match of 98% with someone who has checked that smokers cannot contact them and I have checked that I am a smoker?

You may (or may not) find an answer in one of the following links (found by writing "my matches" in the forum search field of "Thread Title"):

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts13543743.aspx
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts13817725.aspx
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts13837012.aspx

Do the developers still make changes...

Yes, often.

... and does anyone know how to contact them with this simple request?

If it gets read, you just did by way of this thread. You can try contacting "admin" directly, but reading the threads listed above may provide enough help.
 kelso
Msg: 19 (view)

Make Twice More by Wokring Twice More Hours???
Posted: 3/30/2010 6:56:41 PM
It would depend on what length of time, the reasons for doing so, and the costs. I have in the past, and would again in the future, work those (or longer) hours, *for a few months* but the reason has to be very sound. Working an 80 hour week for "the money" isn't a good enough reason. Money in and of itself isn't enough of a motivator to *maintain* those long hours week after week after week. If you're trying to get a business up and running those hours are often not unusual in the initial stages. If you are going through an extremely difficult time in an established business that you own, or while working for an employer, and need to put in those extended hours in order to "save" a situation, then yes, that's a strong enough motivating factor. Know exactly what you're earning the money for. What are the benefits - the reasons.

But please remember, those work hours don't come without costs, and sometimes significant costs. You need to determine for yourself OP what the cost of exchanging those additional forty hours will be to your life (and lifestyle). What are you giving up, or what *isn't* going to happen as a result of working all the time. "No amount of success at work will make up for failure in the home."

Ask yourself: "What's important." If (more) money is important to you, it will come to you, and it will do so without you having to work an 80 hour week. Instead of asking yourself if you should work twice as long for two times the money, ask yourself, "how can I make more money, twice as much in the near term, and perhaps ten times as much in five years, while working no more than a forty hour week. Others have done so, and so can you.

I am male (although my answer wouldn't be different if I were female). I'm 48 years old (and only providing that number to let you know I've lived long enough to learn that some things are worth working very hard for, and some things are not, and whenever I've wanted to "earn more" I've needed to "learn more" first).

I wish you well with whatever you decide to do.
 kelso
Msg: 23 (view)

Oh Canada!
Posted: 2/15/2010 4:03:17 PM

Other than the somewhat unsettling Huckleberry Finn...

As a Canadian, even I was surprised at the depth of meaning contained within the opening ceremonies of the Winter Olympics. The program attempted to tell the story of the formation and history of the country Without some knowledge of Canadian history, it would have been difficult to follow. As well, those of us watching the ceremonies on Canada's CTV had the benefit of hearing commentary on what the various "scenes" were going to be about.

If, OP, "Huck Finn" is in reference to the part of the program with the boy running through the grass (and "viewing if from above" as he would have while "daydreaming") please don't feel confused. Without the announcers commentary, even I would have wondered about it. That "scene" was about the Canadian prairies, and was based on the Saskatchewan born author W. O. Mitchell's book Who Has Seen the Wind. Mitchell's work, and certainly this particular book, were required reading for those of us attending high school in the 70s while growing up in Saskatchewan, and perhaps elsewhere in the country. Having an understanding of his work, and that book, made that part of the program much more understandable, and enjoyable. (W. O. Mitchell grew up on the "short grass prairies" of southern Saskatchewan during the thirties. Who Has Seen the Wind is about a boy growing up at that time and wasting his days ('daydreaming') while spending his time hanging out on the open prairie, not unlike many young boys at that age, including Huckleberry Finn, just with a different setting.)

Thank you for shouldering such a disproportionate share of the load in Afghanistan...

Thank you for knowing and recognizing this. Few in the world are as aware....

Could you have imagined this a half dozen years ago?

Yes, it has happened previously, and will occur again in the future. And just as our respective country's hockey players will continue to play great hockey, our respective politicians will continue to play "great" politics.

Now... we can get back to extracting your vast resources.

We've been a willing seller of every barrel or ton you've purchased - and as far as I know you've paid the world price each time. Thank you.

In all seriousness: Thanks, Merci,

You are most welcome. Hopefully you'll be able to view the beauty of this land and it's people in person someday.

Oh, and as for the "Peter Pan" part OP. Well....... that too has deep meaning. You'll have to consult the history of one of our earliest Olympic snowboarders and the "B.C. bud" that he and his friends use to smoke. There's actually quite a bit of "flying" that occurs in southern B.C. ;)
 kelso
Msg: 261 (view)

Posted: 1/31/2010 2:07:35 PM
And if I borrow it again...
Ahhha! I forgot about using the edit mode...thank you kindly!
... it should now be bolded.

And once more...
<u>Ahhha! I forgot about using the edit mode...thank you kindly!</u>
...it should now be underlined.
Didn't work the first time...
Upon editing, and changing the [ ] brackets for < >, I get the above...
 kelso
Msg: 260 (view)

Posted: 1/31/2010 1:29:01 PM
So... 'borrowing' the sentence from msg 723 (with my thanks),

Ahhha! I forgot about using the edit mode...thank you kindly!

the above line should be within the yellow box.
 kelso
Msg: 53 (view)

Should women write first?
Posted: 2/2/2008 6:55:35 AM
^^^.........and the beer.
 kelso
Msg: 50 (view)

Should women write first?
Posted: 1/29/2008 8:30:01 PM

Its just that I am not that easily impressed.

Hmm, funny, me neither ---- with things like, oh, rudeness, disrespectfulness , vanity,
pompousness....

Yes OP, women should write first ... if they want to.
And men should write first ... if they want to.
Or we could just sit and wait and hope that something good happens I suppose....

Show ALL Forums