Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Does God answer prayer?
 RDtoo
Msg: 220 (view)

Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 6/13/2012 1:06:06 PM
Yes, I do remember the name Sassy Aquarius. I think we got into it a few times..lol. Both of you bring up many of the reasons I have doubts. Child abuse beingoneof them. Why would God not answer the cries of a child? I think this is a horrible world. There was a case on the news a couple of years back a woman having her face bitten off by a chimp. Recently some guy who thought he was a zombie did the same thing. Why would a loving God create such a world??? As for the Church, it is populated mostly by morons. They do not use critical thinking skills but hide behind a banner of "going in faith". As Alan mentions, there are verses that speak of moving mountains by faith yet we rarely see prayers answered. One of the most powerful scenes that I have ever seen in a motion picture was in the the film "Cool Hand Luke". He is standing out in the rain in a thunderstorm imploring God to love me hate me just let me know you are there. After a pause he says "just standing out here in the rain talking to myself". Something like that. I relate to that very much. yet despite all of this, I cannot discard what the Bible teaches. There is a God and He loves us. Maybe, like some say, the age of miracles is past. Maybe some of Jesus words were for that time alone. I have no idea. I have seen supernatural answers to prayer, I know that much. Recently, I have read several books, all written by 20 and 30 something women, who are questioning the Christian faith they were brought up in. The best of these is probably "Evolving in Monkey Town". It was excellent, and honest, and it pissed off some Christians. What Christians should be pissed off at is people like Benny Hinn and Creflo Dollar who give peopple false hope that they will be made whole or rich or whatever else they are promising. At any rate, I really cannot blame people for not believing, but that is not for me. I am not going to delude myself, but I will continue to look for reasons to believe no matter how hard it is.
 RDtoo
Msg: 216 (view)

Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 6/13/2012 12:59:10 AM
So if none of them refer to eternal damnation, where is the variance? LOL.

Actually, I did not and do not intend to get into an on-going debate. I spent several years here debating these things and found most people here were not interested in knowing truth, but rather just engaged in one-upman-ship. I decided not to invest the time here anymore a couple of years back. Things like 2 different accounts of Creation in Genesis do not bother me. Why would it? I think there are alot of clues that the earth has a pre-history that we nor the Gnostics know anything about. The Bible gives alot of answers but is not exhaustive in answering everything. I am a sceptic and there are things that bother me alot. Reliablity of the manuscripts is not one of them.

To answer my own original question, I have had an answer to prayer that was quite miraculous. It happened once. It is the unanswered ones that bother me.
 RDtoo
Msg: 21 (view)

Irish Music in Detroit area?
Posted: 6/13/2012 12:45:56 AM
I thought I would revive this thread and see if any new Irish venues have popped up.
 RDtoo
Msg: 166 (view)

We ARE Individuals
Posted: 6/13/2012 12:12:51 AM
As important as sex seems to be to everyone it amazes me that Christopher Reeves wife didn't divorce his butt when he became a parapalegic and no longer able to do the deed. Love kept it going not the sex. What were they, a couple of weirdos?? I believe you probably can have a sexual relationship without emotional involvement, you can also microwave a frozen pizza instead of ordering from a pizzeria. For me at least, the alternative in both cases is less than satisfying.
 RDtoo
Msg: 212 (view)

Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 6/11/2012 7:53:49 PM
Sheol means the grave, Hades was the Greek Hell, I don't pay much attention. The Lake of Fire seems pretty clear. God Himself is referred to as a Consuming Fire in the Book of Hebrews. Kind of scary when you think of it.
 RDtoo
Msg: 211 (view)

Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 6/11/2012 7:44:54 PM
A mistranslated word here and there does not put me in mind that translations vary all that much. Yes, there have been books found in the copies of the Bible that were later rejected. That makes sense to me. They did not have mass communications back then, so misinformation could have been passed on especially by the Gnostics who had their own agenda. There were not many people putting any stock whatsoever into the Gnostic books until about 20 years ago when opponents of Christianity made people think they were hidden for some reason. As far as originals go, no, I do not know of any originals, but that was not the point I was making in mentioning the Dead Sea Scrolls. There have been fragments of the Gospels from the 1st century found and what can be read seems to be what is in later copies. They even found a parody of the Gospel of Matthew a couple of years back that dated to 50AD. I started this thread because I am somewhat sceptical about what the Bible claims at times. I have never seen any convincing arguments that disprove it though.

Alan, as you enjoy Dawkins, you might like to read "the Dawkins Delusion" by Alistar McGrath. Then again you might not!
 RDtoo
Msg: 157 (view)

Woman pumps the gas while boyfriend sits in car
Posted: 6/11/2012 2:29:22 PM
I posted this thread about 7 years ago. At the time this bothered me but I have grown in my views since then. My new philosophy is we get the kind of person that we deserve.
 RDtoo
Msg: 208 (view)

Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 6/11/2012 2:26:37 PM
No, it does not answer the question if God answers prayer or not, but I am the OP, and it wasn't me who veered off course. Can you give me an example of a couple of different translations in how they vary?
 RDtoo
Msg: 205 (view)

Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 6/11/2012 12:38:49 AM
There is no evidence that the so-called "Q" document ever existed. It was the theory of someone who did not buy into the traditional Gospels. As far as translations go, no they do not vary all that much. And as far as copies of copies of copies....ever hear of the Dead Sea Scrolls? It was proof that copies did not vary much from the original.
 RDtoo
Msg: 74 (view)

Why is Downriver so dull?
Posted: 6/11/2012 12:25:15 AM
Sportsmens Den in Riverview would be a great place for a POF party. It is just down the street from J. Dubs but gets a better clientel.
 RDtoo
Msg: 153 (view)

Woman pumps the gas while boyfriend sits in car
Posted: 6/11/2012 12:18:04 AM
Well, I have been off the forums for a few years now but it is good to see this thread that I posted 7 years ago is still making waves...lol. Again, it was not a statement about women, it was a statement about lazy men.

RedDelPapa, spot on answer!
 RDtoo
Msg: 109 (view)

Dating over 55
Posted: 6/11/2012 12:00:53 AM
Soulmate, I feel for you because I think you have been misunderstood here. I used to post in the forums all the time but my posts were usually misunderstood so I fianally gave up. I once posted a thread asking if it is was possible to find love after 50 that would make you feel like writing poetry or other things that only being intoxicated by someone can bring. Unfortunately I titled it something about red hot romance and everyone read it as red hot sex, even though that was not my intent.

Your original question reminds me of the old folktale of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. To break a spell put on the woman he loved he had to find an answer to the question "What do women want the most?" I think you are looking for one right answer and that just is not possible. I think alot of the ladies here have posted some good advise for you that you need to pay attention to. Try to think of it from a woman's perspective. Ever since they were about 12 years old, males have been trying to get into their panties. Seriously. So to even mention the word sex, even as you call it sexy, puts up a warning signal to them. I really believe you are looking for a good woman and I hope you find one. Try substituting the word "vibrant" for sexy. Good luck my friend.
 RDtoo
Msg: 165 (view)

Most likely conspiracy theory
Posted: 10/23/2011 2:52:34 PM
The end of the Reconstruction Acts???? Reconstruction destroyed what was left of the South and caused the formation of the Ku Klux Klan. Not sure what the point was here.
 RDtoo
Msg: 1 (view)

Bonfire and hayride 2011?
Posted: 10/19/2011 7:09:49 PM
Is anyone up for the bonfire and hayride this year? Really need to see some interest for us to go ahead with it. Probably sometime in November and out at the same place in Canton. Last year was kind of a low turnout but this event uisually pulls a good crowd. Post if interested or you can email me if you don't like posting.
 RDtoo
Msg: 155 (view)

Most likely conspiracy theory
Posted: 11/13/2010 1:13:43 AM
Just watched an episode of a tv show called "Conspiracy Theory" hosted by Jesse "the body" Ventura. Alex Jones was on hand directing Jesse to fusion centers that are operating and collecting data on U.S. citizens. Interesting but I wondered if it was a real investigation or something put on for tv?
 RDtoo
Msg: 59 (view)

The Downriver is Back with a POF Party 11/13/2010 at J-Dubs
Posted: 11/13/2010 1:07:03 AM
This looks like it is going to be a record turn out. I don't think we have ever had this many sign up for a Downriver party.

To all new people I just want to say. Don't feel intimidated. Some of us know one another from previous parties, but this is not an exclusive club. We are all there to have fun and meet new friends. It is really a group of good people. If they occassional "bad egg" shows up, there is more than enough man power to keep them in line. Looking forward to seeing all of you.
 RDtoo
Msg: 22 (view)

The Downriver is Back with a POF Party 11/13/2010 at J-Dubs
Posted: 11/6/2010 12:05:05 AM
Holy Cow! Don't think I have ever seen this many people signed up this early for a Dubs party. This could be a BIG one Darin!
 RDtoo
Msg: 30 (view)

Hay Ride at Wiards Orchards
Posted: 10/28/2010 11:29:39 PM
It's not looking too good for me either. I am still out of a job and haven't had a nibble this week. I hope I get some calls from employers on Friday because it is going to depress me even more to miss this. I just can't afford the extra dough unless some kind of job or windfall comes my way, soon.
 RDtoo
Msg: 24 (view)

Posted: 10/26/2010 10:03:12 PM
tecumsehgal, the hayride is about 40 minutes west of the Bridge.
 RDtoo
Msg: 18 (view)

Posted: 10/24/2010 11:47:05 PM
No, the hayride itself does not last 4 hours! Maybe 40 minutes. We just call the whole night a hayride. There are alot of other activities to do. You don't even have to go on the hayride if you don't want to. There will be plenty of hot dogs and marshmellows roasting and other stuff. Wiards is a pretty big place. There will be plenty to do.
 RDtoo
Msg: 8 (view)

Posted: 10/20/2010 11:54:49 PM
Well I lost my job today, so now I would be free that night, but not sure I can afford the ticket. It's always something....
 RDtoo
Msg: 4 (view)

Posted: 10/20/2010 12:58:08 AM
You might as well take me off as a co-host. I work on Friday nights.
 RDtoo
Msg: 33 (view)

Hayride Bonfire 2010
Posted: 10/13/2010 11:59:49 PM
Sorry I have been absent but I started a new job and the training has been taking all my time. I'm sorry I never got the info to you guys about the Bethany hayride.

Darin, I think people will come if it is posted. If we cannot do it at Sugarbush, I'm sure there are alot of other farms out there. In fact, I saw one cider mill/farm on the news the other day that said business falls dramatically after Halloween. Bet there are some who would be negotiable if we scheduled this in November.
 RDtoo
Msg: 25 (view)

Hayride Bonfire 2010
Posted: 9/24/2010 10:36:26 PM
I know of Hayride that is being put on by the Bethany singles. They are some kind of catholic singles organization. It is on October 9th. If anyone is interested I can get the details.

Lots of single groups have hayrides this time of year. If anyone knows of any please post them. I personally would go to a bonfire every weekend.
 RDtoo
Msg: 16 (view)

Hayride Bonfire 2010
Posted: 9/12/2010 8:00:37 PM
I checked with Darin and he said Sugarbush was not too happy about the failed hayride/barn dance back in April. If anyone can think of any ideas or places to make this thing happen, I would like to hear them.
 RDtoo
Msg: 11 (view)

Hayride Bonfire 2010
Posted: 9/6/2010 5:45:28 PM
Kath, I am going to contact Darin and see if he can post it soon. I am thinking maybe end of September or early October.
 RDtoo
Msg: 9 (view)

Hayride Bonfire 2010
Posted: 9/5/2010 11:53:18 PM
Mrfixit, you are not the only one to say that. I have had alot of people come up to me both years that we had the hayride and tell me that they were reluctant to come but were so glad they did.

In case anyone is curious, you are not required to go on the hayride, which is a blast. There are a couple of bonfires going and the barn is open for dancing, conversation or whatever. People roast marshmallows, hot dogs and you can bring your own drink of choice. It is a very fun night.

I think Mary is right though, we mightjust have to post it blindly as not too many are reading the forums anymore.
 RDtoo
Msg: 5 (view)

Hayride Bonfire 2010
Posted: 8/31/2010 1:26:55 AM
Well it wouldn't be the same without you as a co-host! Darin is ready to set this thing up if there is any interest shown......
 RDtoo
Msg: 3 (view)

Hayride Bonfire 2010
Posted: 8/28/2010 1:15:19 PM
Unless some more interest is shown there is not going to be a "there" lite hearted lady. I guess people would just rather sit home with their computers on saturday night instead of having a real life.
 RDtoo

Hayride Bonfire 2010
Posted: 8/25/2010 10:53:20 PM
That cool air blowing in my window feels like Fall tonight, which reminded me that Fall is the time for Hayrides and bonfires!! I would like to think we can stir enough interest for our 3rd annual Hayride at Sugarbush Farms. The first two were a blast. The thing is, we need to hear from interested parties. We have to reserve the space and will be stuck with the bill if nobody shows up. If you are too shy to post then let me know by email. Lets make this one the best yet.
 RDtoo
Msg: 40 (view)

the 10 commandments....complete bull.
Posted: 8/4/2010 11:52:48 PM
I realize I will be just a voice in the wilderness here but keeping the 10 commandments does not make one a Christian. Christ came and died for us because we do not keep God's laws. We are not moral. Being a moral ethical individual does not make one a Christian. It makes them a moral ethical person. I have met many atheists and agnostics who are much more moral than most Christians. It has nothing to do with Christian beliefs. At least when you are talking about what involves becoming a Christian. Yet I think most Americans, and most Churchgoers would answer "keeping the 10 commandments" when you asked them what makes them a Christian. Weird.
 RDtoo
Msg: 45 (view)

The Books of God and You
Posted: 8/1/2010 11:13:37 PM
I am almost finished reading a book called "Evolving in Monkey Town". It was wrote by a young lady who grew up in Dayton, Tennessee the site of the Scopes Monkey Trial. It may be one of the best apologetic books that I have ever read even though that may have not been the authors intent. The author is a Christian who dared to start asking some of the same questions that sceptics and antagonists in this forum ask and almost got herself booted out of Dayton, Tennessee. The one question that the book begins to center on is not about evolution, but the question of "Is everyone who is not a Christian going to Hell?" It is a pretty courageous book. I think some of the sceptics here might even admire her courage in at attemting to tackle this question.
 RDtoo
Msg: 12 (view)

Wyandotte Street Fair!
Posted: 7/9/2010 10:56:04 PM
The original thread was started 2 years ago and I brought it back up without noticeing that 50 Amp Fuse was playing then. Believe me though, 50 amp fuse played the street fair this friday night 2010. I was there.
 RDtoo
Msg: 10 (view)

Wyandotte Street Fair!
Posted: 7/8/2010 11:16:33 PM
I thought someone said 50 amp was playing at 9:00, but I don't know for sure. As for a good time to get there, it is going to be packed no matter what time you arrive. You will probably have to park on a side street and walk several blocks to the street fair. Always worth the trouble though.
 RDtoo
Msg: 39 (view)

July Summer Party 2010! at J Dubs Downriver 7.10 Don't Miss all the Fun!!
Posted: 7/7/2010 7:51:33 PM
Oh sure, go to the street fair and get all dripping with sweat before you attend a singles function..lol. I am going to the Wyandotte Street Fair on Friday night.
 RDtoo
Msg: 7 (view)

Wyandotte Street Fair!
Posted: 7/7/2010 11:58:51 AM
50 Amp fuse is playing the street fair Friday night. Anyone going?
 RDtoo
Msg: 33 (view)

Posted: 7/3/2010 9:50:47 PM
Come on hold outs, we need a few more sign-ups before Darin can send out a mass mail about this party.
 RDtoo
Msg: 30 (view)

Posted: 7/1/2010 11:58:35 PM
Hi Darin. Hi everyone.
 RDtoo
Msg: 19 (view)

I think I am about to be fired. What should I do?
Posted: 6/28/2010 10:52:45 PM
Tothyself, the OP is not in denial of what he did wrong. I would be the first to admit that I made mistakes and been guilty of neglect at times over the years. I never claimed to be a perfect employee and they sure have not been perfect employers. I don't think I deserved much of the treatment I have been subjected to. The fact is I am not looking to sue these people and I really do not want to collect unemployment unless I really have to. As I attempted to say in my OP, I am 54 and it is a tough job market. The truth is, I have been underemployed in this job. I was downsized 6 years ago and this was my best offer at the time and was a step down. I stayed so long because the economy here in Michigan has been bad for a lot longer than the rest of the country. I guess all I wanted when I posted was some advice on getting unemployment if it was absolutely necessary. That's all.
 RDtoo
Msg: 25 (view)

Posted: 6/28/2010 10:40:12 PM
Darin, you are putting the hayride together. I'm just promoting it for you...LOL.
 RDtoo
Msg: 13 (view)

Posted: 6/28/2010 12:02:42 AM
Thanks for all the comments, and to the person who suggested I go and find something else, believe me, this has been a miserable place to work and the one bright spot if this happens is that I will fianally have time to look for something else.

Ok, here is how this all came about for anyone who is interested. I have a regional manager who I have always thought disliked me. She just came back as my regional manager after a 2 year absence. I figured this was coming when she came back. The week before Memorial Day I got some kind of virus and after struggling to do my job for two days, I called off for the first time in 6 years and went to the Doctor. I was off 2 days. The next week a couple of my employees called off and we all have to fill in when someone is missing, so we were getting behind in the "extras". Then on Saturday the 5th a severe storm blew through and part of the school was flooded. I got called in on Sunday but they had to bring some professional disaster people in. I got several phone calls from corporate on Sunday and they kept asking if the drains were blocked, which would have put me at fault. They were not blocked. Monday morning before I got there the regional manager came in and did an inspection. I got several emails on how bad the school looked. She wondered why no work orders had been wrote about roof leaks. The roof leaks had appeared over the weekend. She said the carpets looked terrible. Yeah, they were flooded. Anyone I could go on, but that opportunity seemed to be enough to frame me. Why do I suspect I am about to be fired. Since then, my area manager has spent alot of time at the building. He barely speaks to me and when he does he is usually saying something negative. He is much nicer when he speaks with my staff. In other words I feel like I am being treated like someone who used to work there. I think they are in the process of finding a replacement for me. Just a gut feeling.

I have documented some things over the years, including getting copies of the emails of the above events. Unfortunately, I have no record of vacation requests because they never give us back a copy. They verbally tell us yes or no. They do not do an annual evaluation either that I know of. Something I always thought was odd. I probably will talk to a labor lawyer.
 RDtoo
Msg: 20 (view)

Posted: 6/27/2010 11:38:08 PM
After seeing Kath sign up after being gone a while, I got to thinking. Why don't we make this party a reunion party and invite some of the people who went off and got married over the last couple of years? I mean, there is not that many of them and it would be fun to see some of the old crowd.

Oh by the way, Hayride 2010 is coming....
 RDtoo
Msg: 4 (view)

Posted: 6/27/2010 8:55:02 AM
Ok a couple of things. I have done my job for 6 years. I am a working supervisor. I work harder than my employees getting my hands dirty. Supervisors are let go all the time. Recently my boss was demoted. Have I made mistakes? Yes. I'm not perfect. This company magnifies overlooked small things into major flub-ups. Is that not doing my job? I don't think so.
 RDtoo

Posted: 6/26/2010 11:38:20 PM
I think I am about to be fired. The company I work for, does contract maintenance and janitorial work for a charter school organization. I am the site coordinator (supervisor) at one of the schools, though it is really more of a team leader job rather than supervisor. Anyways, I think they are building a poor work performance case against me. Is it justified? Not if you consider the impossible work load I am given for a 40 hour week. No overtime. Actually I have managed to be there for 6 years which is longer than my counterparts at other schools. I understand they will fight against anyone attempting to get unemployment. I don't want to milk the system for "free money" but at 54 in a poor job market, I don't want to end up homeless either. I will say that they have not given me a full week of vacation in 4 years, though others were receiving them. I did have a medical leave 2 years ago for surgery. The other thing is a year ago I had a gay employee make sexual remarks to me on a daily basis. I complained to my boss about harassment and he did nothing. The guy fianally quit. I am sure it was never reported to human resources. Should I bring up any of this if they do terminate me or bring it up when I am filing for unemployment? Any advice on what I should do before and as they are terminating me would be helpful.
 RDtoo
Msg: 20 (view)

Are we living in a democracy or a plutocracy?
Posted: 6/1/2010 10:00:03 PM
That is why there is a website called prisonplanet.com

come to think of it, that website is all about the rich people (the Bilderburgs) who are in control of things.
 RDtoo
Msg: 17 (view)

Posted: 5/31/2010 11:35:37 PM
Montigue, I went back and read your earlier comments and I think you are right. I was reminded of a film I saw back in the late 70s/early 80s called "Blue Collar", which starred Richard Pryor and Harvey Keitel. It was a little too deep for me at the time but from what I recall, it was about some blue collar workers. The company did not like how tight knit they were getting, so they started manipulating them. They promoted the white guy to supervisor for no apparent reason, which ticked off his African-american buddies and alienated them from each other, which the company hoped would happen. It went on from there but the corporation was playing them all, white and black, as puppets. I might have to try and dig that film up.
 RDtoo
Msg: 13 (view)

Posted: 5/31/2010 4:42:18 PM
You are right when you say the letter has no functional meaning. The reason is because people are apathetic. You could unveil a plot that shows the rich are about to take away all of our rights, and people would just shrug and go back to playing Guitar Hero or seeing who is being kicked off American Idol or adding another tatoo. They basically have us where they want us.
 RDtoo
Msg: 11 (view)

Posted: 5/30/2010 10:50:45 PM
We could probably move right into having a totalitarian government pretty easy, because 99 out of 100 people really do not pay too much attention to things. It is easier for them to believe that one party is good and one is bad and vote against the bad one. If you suggest there may be more to it than that, they will write you off as a wacko conspiracy theorist. Whoever brainwashed this society did a good job.
 RDtoo
Msg: 9 (view)

Posted: 5/30/2010 12:54:42 AM
I wouldn't even dream that they purposely caused an oil spill. Too much of an enviromental and economic disaster. I do wonder if they were behind the stock market crash in the Fall of 08 though.
 RDtoo
Msg: 5 (view)

Posted: 5/29/2010 12:56:05 PM
Count, that makes perfect sense to me. I have often wondered how many of the crisises that come up are manufactured like in Wag the Dog.

abq, thanks for the link to the letter.

Show ALL Forums