Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Would you date a guy without a car
 matt_b1984
Msg: 316 (view)

Would you date a guy without a car
Posted: 7/30/2012 7:38:47 PM

not ALL girls will break up with you for not having a car. my first boyfriend (of 6 years) didn't have a license. didn't bother me a bit. i had a car. and sold it so i could have a nicer apartment and then later, a house. i ride my bike. if it's crappy outside then i take the bus. for most of the people i know this is a completely normal mode of transportation.

a car doesn't change your personality. doesn't make you nicer, cooler, sexier. it can be a status symbol. so perhaps girls who are solely interested in how much you make (which translates into how much you can spend on her) feel that having a car is a necessity. or maybe girls who expect you to drive them around all the time. but i would ask - why don't THEY have a car if they need that type of transportation?

IMHO you should have a car only if YOU feel YOU need a car. don't get one to impress others. they should be impressed with you alone.

:)

Couldn't have said it better myself.
 matt_b1984
Msg: 315 (view)

Would you date a guy without a car
Posted: 7/30/2012 7:32:58 PM

Why don't any of you people use public transit? :|

Exactly. Where I live (in the metro area of MN), I can easily get to the mall, several movies theaters, awesome restaurants, art museums, live shows, comedy clubs, etc relatively easily and cheaply. Do I own some new super-gas efficient car? No. I take public transportation, which (where I live) is pretty damn good. Once the light rail is completed, you'll be able to traverse freely between St. Paul & Minneapolis, and at a much faster speed with virtually zero traffic.

And the buses and trains are clean, usually quiet, and mostly filled with college students or people going to/from work.

For me, and where I live, I can get to almost anywhere within the metro area within an hour (give or take) using public transportation.

So really, when you think about that kind of environment, and a woman says to you, "since you don't drive I won't date you." This should be in the Webster's dictionary under "shallow."
 matt_b1984
Msg: 18 (view)

no communication,why?
Posted: 7/23/2012 4:15:08 PM
I feel for you. This has happened to me once before (the application of the "no contact" rule) and it was for similar reasons (another guy in the picture).

Maybe she's committed to not screwing her new relationship up, and that being friends with you would complicate her new-found situation. Or maybe the new guy she is seeing forbids her to see or talk to you (if he's the jealous type). This is all conjecture of course, and I am projecting to a degree.

Unfortunately, in romantic relationships, there isn't much room for going backwards, e.g. just being friends. Not that it's impossible, but it is quite a difficult feat to accomplish.

Like you, I was also told to "just get over it," and such sentiments were similarly unhelpful. I too struggle to understand the motivation, but I think if we can get to a point where we can say "it's okay that I don't understand," we will truly be on our way.

Show ALL Forums