Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Another Singles Awareness Day.... Feb 14th
 Karl the Hermit
Msg: 59 (view)

Another Singles Awareness Day.... Feb 14th
Posted: 2/14/2010 9:35:37 AM
I've spent almost every S.A.D. alone and no... it doesn't get any easier... not for me... I guess when you get a little older you start realizing that you just might be a big, ugly loser that nobody worthwile will ever want to be with... and then again...

I tend to think of it as a lack of talent on the ladies end of things... I know I'm quality... it's the lack of quality women I have to contend with...

Happy VD, all...
 Karl the Hermit
Msg: 45 (view)

Strange hobbies/collections
Posted: 11/29/2009 10:04:49 PM
LOL! I actually collect strange hobbies! How about that?

From the top! Period fencing, knife-throwing, making chainmaille stuff and... my latest... vaping!

Karl the Hermit
Msg: 274 (view)

Liberal vs conserative
Posted: 10/20/2009 9:54:08 AM

Congratulations! You completely missed the point, and then expounded upon it... the point remains the same... uber-rich, elitist folks "championing" the little guy... oh, and that goes double for conservatives, although, like I said, at least they don't lie about it...

How can "uber-rich elitist folks 'championing' the little guy" be your point? That's not a point.

Or...is your point that the rich SHOULDN'T "champion" the little guy? Are you angry at Pelosi because she has money? Do you think that ONLY the poor should give a damn about the poor? Do you think that anyone who DOES give a damn should first rid themselves of their wealth and property?

WTF are you talking about?

One word answer... hypocrisy. Does that clear it up for you? It's called people who run around telling the poor that we should learn to do with less, and shrink our footprint on the planet, consume less... and then fly their personal jet to the Hamptons for the weekend... I guess first-class commercial flights aren't enough for some people...
 Karl the Hermit
Msg: 271 (view)

Liberal vs conserative
Posted: 10/20/2009 2:00:23 AM

Here ya go Karl. (Be careful who you listen to ~~ some peeps kinda lie, yanno?)

Pelosi and her husband Paul own a 6-acre vineyard in the Napa Valley, and sell their Cabernet Sauvignon crop each year. Peter Schweizer, a research fellow at the conservative Hoover Institution, has repeatedly accused Pelosi of being a hypocrite because the vineyard, just south of St. Helena, employs non-union labor, despite her long record of backing unions. (The United Farm Workers once gave her its Cesar Chavez Award.) The charge has been repeated on conservative blogs, talk radio and by Fox News talking head Sean Hannity, all asking why Pelosi doesn't ask the UFW for union workers. One problem--that would be illegal. California state law mandates that only workers can decide, by secret ballot, whether to join the union--Pelosi is forbidden to get involved. "She's kind of getting a bum rap," said Marc Grossman, spokesman for the UFW. Only three wineries in Napa have union contracts. In fact, Napa grapes are so valuable that vineyard workers there usually get more money per hour than unionized workers. Though labor disputes do erupt in the valley, there's no evidence anyone has complained about conditions at Pelosi's vineyard. Unfiltered hopes this is the end of "vineyard owner" being used as a derogative. Isn't there room in Washington for both a teetotaler President and a grape-growing Speaker?

My emphasis. . . .

Congratulations! You completely missed the point, and then expounded upon it... the point remains the same... uber-rich, elitist folks "championing" the little guy... oh, and that goes double for conservatives, although, like I said, at least they don't lie about it...
 Karl the Hermit
Msg: 141 (view)

What do you think about a first date at the cemetery?
Posted: 10/18/2009 8:16:26 PM
Damn, OP... you got a sister?

First date, no... Third date, yes...

One of the Golden Rules of Internet Dating... make sure you meet in a well-lit, public place (or in daylight) for the first date. Traipsing through a cemetary at twilight with a guy you're meeting for the first time is just asking for trouble.

But really, it sounds like a good romantic time (in that gothic, love-is-death sense) if done with someone you know...
 Karl the Hermit
Msg: 252 (view)

Liberal vs conserative
Posted: 10/18/2009 7:57:45 PM
Oy! Politics present one of the hardest challenges for me in any relationship. See, I'm a bigtime, political centrist... and I find political discussion of ANY kind to be extremely entertaining, so... when I'm done watching Bill Maher on Friday nights, I switch over to Glenn Beck... and not everyone can handle that...

See, I view the liberal/conservative dichotomy as just 2, different sides of the same, devalued coin. So, by way of examples...

1) When I hear conservatives whine about being called "racists" if they oppose one of Obama's policies, I recall the year after 9/11 when, if you opposed any of Bush's policies, you were called "anti-American."

2) Recently, I heard a woman in a commercial on a conservative, talk station complaining about government healthcare... she said, "I refuse to let the government tell me what I can do with my body." LOL... I've been hearing that same line from pro-choicers for the last 30 years.

3) When I hear Jesse Jackson scream about racism, I recall his comment about Hymie Town. Sorry, but this guy should've been Imus'ed a long time ago.

4) And when I hear how liberals are for the little guy, I have to wonder how many "little guys" are working for dirt wages on Pelosi's grape plantation... this woman is one of THE richest members of Congress... I find the cry of rich, elitist libs about being for "the little guy" to be as hypocritical as the adulterous, page-foigning conservatives that yell "family values."

So I guess the upshot of this rant is... you can fall into one track or the other and keep a close mind, or you can take a macro-view of what's really going on... and sit back, relax and enjoy the entertaiment...

Oh, and if I don't find a nice woman soon who can handle listening to Rush Limbaugh on the way to a Michael Moore flick, I'm going to go bonkers!

Karl the Hermit
Msg: 26 (view)

At what age do you Just Give Up?
Posted: 10/17/2009 12:22:12 PM
Never!

I've spent the bulk of my 41 years completely alone, and I still refuse to give up. I've never been married or even engaged... I refuse to give up. I've only dated one woman for longer than 6 months (we lasted a year), and I still refuse to give up!

All I know is that I'm very funny, cute, smart and creative, and one of these days I'll find the right one and if not...

Well, someday when I'm on my death bed, I might think about giving up... but only because "dead" is a deal-breaker for most women...
 Karl the Hermit
Msg: 89 (view)

Younger children as dealbreakers
Posted: 10/17/2009 11:56:37 AM
Getting involved with a woman who has young children is definitely a deal-breaker, but only if she "doesn't want children" as well... sorry, but if I have to bear the burden of helping her raise her children just to be with her, she should be willing to give birth to one of my own demon-spawn...

But in general, I tend to avoid the women with small kids like the plague...

Sorry...
 Karl the Hermit
Msg: 2 (view)

Brilliant!
Posted: 2/10/2009 11:22:33 PM
Hey there, I can't change ugly, darling...

LOL
 Karl the Hermit
Msg: 1 (view)

Brilliant!
Posted: 2/10/2009 11:18:51 PM
Or at least I thought so...

I don't get many replies and I've been on this site for a couple of years. I've always thought my profile was pretty darned good. I do know the pics aren't that great, and I'm going to work on that, but the rest seemed pretty good. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it reflects my general skewedness.

I think my real question may be whether I should rewrite it with another schtick, or just write something more straightforward. I do get compliments on it, but nothing much beyond a couple of messages and that's it.

Comment away...
 Karl the Hermit
Msg: 7 (view)

Love and Attachments
Posted: 2/8/2008 12:32:39 PM
... so you're dating a buddhist... what's the problem?

Not everyone shares the Victorian-era notions of romance we have here in the West... then again, it could be just an excuse to not have to sleep with you, too...

Good Luck, grasshopper!
 Karl the Hermit
Msg: 18 (view)

What has held you back from being in a relationship?
Posted: 7/12/2007 10:20:59 PM
Ummm, I can't get a date?

Yah, that must be it...

Karl the Hermit
Msg: 12 (view)

Momma's Boy?
Posted: 6/25/2007 1:56:03 AM
Not even close...

I love my mom, but she has a tendency to p!ss me off at times. She constantly tells me how to live my life and how everything wrong in my life is my own fault...

IOW, she's always right, and that's the part that p!sses me off! I'll always love her, but I'm glad I left home at 18, and I'm also glad she lives on the West Coast and I live on the East Coast...
 Karl the Hermit
Msg: 5 (view)

Best Places to Meet New People? (Besides Bar/Internet)
Posted: 6/21/2007 12:24:04 AM

Religion is one of the first things people turn to when they experience loss.

The loss thing can be an issue sometimes, but it's a risk worth taking.

Dude, I know you mean well and all, but preying upon people who just lost a loved one in the sanctity of a place of worship is just slimey! Yuck!
 Karl the Hermit
Msg: 3 (view)

Share Your Broken Heart Poetry
Posted: 6/17/2007 2:02:37 PM
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
You tore my heart out and skewered it with a****ail fork,
YOU ****!

Karl the Hermit
Msg: 14 (view)

Is it wrong to check the profile before accepting the IM?
Posted: 6/16/2007 2:44:55 PM
I made the mistake one time of NOT checking a profile before I accepted an IM...

After we started chatting, I looked and realized it was some crazy chick who was in an unhappy marriage, and she lived about 5 states away. Now I try to be as nice as I can be, but I really don't have time to listen to some b!tch whine about how unhappy she is in her marriage. If she's that unhappy, pack the car and jet...

The only thing worse than listening to single, jilted people whine is listening to unhappy, married people whine...

Karl the Hermit
Msg: 19 (view)

Girl stands me up, then HANGS up -- I dont get it
Posted: 6/16/2007 10:02:16 AM
OP, you're profile's better than mine... I'm jealous...

Oh, and that woman's a beotch for standing you up. That's one of the reasons I don' t like the Long D scenario. Who wants to drive for 4 friggin' hours to get stood up? Not you, obiously...

Good luck and happy fishing...
 Karl the Hermit

Wrinkles
Posted: 6/15/2007 9:22:51 PM
I just turned 39 and no wrinkles. I hope this is not a sign that I'm going to live past 100 or something. I can't bear the thought of being on POF trawling for women at the age of 105... not many choices at that age... then again, there aren't many choices now, come to think of it...

BTW, I think I might be in the minority when I say I find wrinkles to be sexy. I'm not talking wrinkles like you find in a 90-year old, but those little laugh lines and crow's feet...

Okay, I'm strange, I know this...
 Karl the Hermit
Msg: 26 (view)

What sport would you most like your man to play?
Posted: 6/15/2007 9:09:56 PM
DAMMIT!

Not a single woman said sword-fighting! Not a single woman said archery! Not a single woman said axe-throwing!

See, that's why I can't find a friggin' date. Okay, I figured this all out...

Thanks for the enlightenment...

Karl the Hermit

Milking their glory days...
Posted: 6/11/2007 11:20:32 PM
Oh, please don't get me started on my "bands that should board an airplane that's going to crash" rant...
 Karl the Hermit

Is it ok to ask for change?
Posted: 6/11/2007 12:41:11 AM
LOL! I thought this thread had something to do with money!

Man I feel so stupid...

OP, this is why you should never jump into anything like moving in with one another or getting married right away. As a rule, I would never do anything like that until I've dated someone for at least a year. It's good to see how someone acts in all seasons, so to speak.

If you really can't stand the accumulated things about them you're finding out, you should first talk to them about it, but then you should be prepared to break it off, because it may just come to that.
 Karl the Hermit
Msg: 9 (view)

How Quit is Quit?
Posted: 6/11/2007 12:37:09 AM
Man, this thread got pretty nasty... LOL!

I think the year mark is a good one. Insurance companies aren't stupid. I've seen no less than two women at work get pregnant, quit smoking, and start up again after the kiddo was popped out. Nicotine is definitely a powerful drug...

Oh, and once again, just in case anyone missed it, I never said I was quitting. I just wondered. If I decided to quit tomorrow, though, I would list myself as "occasional" and explain in my profile. And if I was still smoke-free after a year, I would change it to "no" and remove the aforementioned explanation from my profile.

Thanks for the responses.
 Karl the Hermit

Why do people say you shouldn't get back with an ex?
Posted: 6/11/2007 12:02:48 AM
With a divorce rate that hovers consistently around the 50% mark in the US, is it any wonder that most folks reaction to reading an "ex" post is a knee-jerk one? It always makes me laugh when I see these posts in the "Broken Hearts" section. Think about it. Many of the people that post there have been burned recently, so to ask any ex questions there seems to be ludicrous.

Add to this the immediate-gratification, I'm-shopping-the-net-for-the-perfect-man/woman mindset of the modern person, and you're going to get a great deal of people telling you to just move on.

Hey, sometimes an ex is an ex because there was a lack of communication between the couple. Often it can take time for both parties to see where they were right and where they were wrong after the emotions of the situation die down.

If you think your ex is worth another shot, go for it. Who's anyone to tell you any different?
 Karl the Hermit

Thoughts on the new Manson album?
Posted: 6/10/2007 11:39:37 PM
I have to disagree with the comments about Holy Wood. That album had much more diversity than either Anti-Christ Superstar or Mechanical Animals, and it seemed like a natural, more organic progression from his earlier works. Regardless, I love all three of those albums.

It just hit me that the ultimate, showman-laced triple-bill would be Manson and Rammstein... with Gwar opening the show. That just sounds scary-cool...

I've only heard one Manson song I've hated... that cover he did of Cheap Tricks' "Surrender" on a New Years Eve show several years ago just sucked. The vocals were too flat and processed. He could've done better by not screaming the whole thing and adding a sarcastic, sneering lilt to the vocals.

BTW, Manson has got to be one of the best interviews in rock. I saw him on Bill Mahers' old show, Politically Incorrect. Unfortunately, I don't think he's ever appeared on Real Time, but I could be wrong.

In all, though, I have to agree that the guy is overall a genuine genius.
 Karl the Hermit
Msg: 56 (view)

What are your boundaries?
Posted: 6/10/2007 2:20:33 PM
I usually stop things real fast with anyone who has "-atrix" attached to their name...

Always a top, never a bottom...

Karl the Hermit
Msg: 43 (view)

would you date/marry someone you thought was unwilling/unable to defend you
Posted: 6/10/2007 1:34:15 PM
I try to steer clear of trouble, but gods help anyone who messes with me in the vicinity of a pool cue. I could unscrew that thing and fence 'em with the left while I whip-shot them with the thick end...

Yahhhhhh, I'm a B-A-A-A-D MAN!

Karl the Hermit

Christian-other?
Posted: 6/9/2007 2:01:20 PM
Doesn't matter much...

I am still allowed to feed them to the lions.

Karl the Hermit
Msg: 19 (view)

What is too old to have never experienced love??
Posted: 6/8/2007 10:24:56 PM
39 and have never been in love with someone who was in love with me... and vice versa... does that make sense?
 Karl the Hermit
Msg: 21 (view)

Is Rock and Roll dead?
Posted: 6/8/2007 10:13:58 PM
Like I've ever cared what John Krueger Menstrualcramp ever had to say about anything...
 Karl the Hermit

How Quit is Quit?
Posted: 6/8/2007 9:26:17 PM
Thanks for the replies...

I never said that I was quitting the cigs. I just wondered, that's all. Seems as though some assumptions were made.
 Karl the Hermit
Msg: 53 (view)

It sucks when the right one belongs to someone else!
Posted: 6/8/2007 6:39:20 PM
Hey, look on the bright side, OP. How would you feel if she wasn't happily attached to someone else and still wasn't interested in being with you?

That sucks worse, trust me...
 Karl the Hermit

How Quit is Quit?
Posted: 6/8/2007 6:20:18 PM
Quite simply, how long does a smoker have to be done from smoking before a non-smoker will consider going out with them?

As a non-smoker would you consider going out with someone who quit recently, or do they have to be free-and-clear, and off anti-smoking meds for a long time before you would consider going out with them?

And please, let's not digress into the same old "smoking is bad for you" statements...

Service!
 Karl the Hermit
Msg: 27 (view)

Dating a Smoker
Posted: 6/8/2007 6:14:47 PM
No, you're not crazy for not wanting to date a smoker when you've quit, but it's easy to be a non-smoker when you're on drugs. I work at a large, mail-order pharmacy, and when Chantix first came out, one of our smoking pharmacists tried it and quit. No problem until he stopped taking the Chantix. He started smoking not long after...

What I'm really getting at, OP, is be very careful with meeting people while you're quit but on Chantix (or Zyban, or any other anti-smoking med). I would hate to see you find the non-smoking man of your dreams and fall back into smoking because you stopped taking the drug.

And your thread has reminded me to post another I've been meaning to post for a couple of days now... thanks for the reminder.
 Karl the Hermit
Msg: 87 (view)

This guy is 10 years younger than me
Posted: 6/7/2007 10:19:20 PM
Wow, thanks curlygrl! This thread gives me some hope...

I met a girl today who shares alot of my interests, strange as they may be. She's pretty, smart (getting her MS in PolySci), and appreciates my twisted musings. I was a bit bummed out when I found out we have so much in common, though, because I could tell she's pretty young (24... and a half!). I'm 39, so technically, I'm old enough to be her father, but who knows... I think I will ask her out anyway.

I figure rejection from someone you fully expect to reject you probably wouldn't be too bad, and there's always the small chance she will want to go out despite our age difference.

BTW, we're going to switch ipods at work on Monday... isn't that just romantic?

Cheers, baby!
 Karl the Hermit
Msg: 6 (view)

Dating frustration in your 30s?
Posted: 6/2/2007 10:18:30 PM
Yes, OP, I feel your frustration. Aside from the dating sites I've been on, I belong to a non-profit, social organization, and it's the same story there... too young or too old. I've also worked for 2 different companies in the last 4 years that were large (300+ employees in one building) and predominantly female (2 or more women for every man), and I've only managed one relationship from either. Of course, she was 11 years older than me and we didn't have much in common other than work...

And you know what's even worse than age, John? Distance. I don't know how many profiles I've read like this one above me who'd be a great match for me, but she lives in another country. After 2 months, I've only found 2, good prospects that I haven't met yet... one lives over an hour away, and the other lives 2 1/2 hours away.

Some days I just want to give up and get me a mail-order bride...
 Karl the Hermit
Msg: 11 (view)

POLL: Would you leave your SO for Millions?
Posted: 5/31/2007 10:30:14 PM
Ummmm, NO!

People who're worth millions tend to want to be in the pilots seat in the relationship. I prefer something more 50/50.

Besides, in my case, finding love is much harder than finding money, so I'd definitely stick with my love over casting her aside for money.

That simple...
 Karl the Hermit
Msg: 18 (view)

How many dating sites are you on-what's your fave?
Posted: 5/31/2007 10:26:44 PM
Let's see...

I tried E-Harmony once a few years ago, and didn't like the idea that a mere "29 points of comparison" would find me the love of my life. Talk about taking the organic out of dating. I prefer to read profiles, talk to people, meet and figure it out my own damn'd self...

I've spent most of my time on Yahoo, with mostly disastrous consequences. I really got tired of logging on, getting excited to see that I finally had a new message, and finding out it was from some chick in the Ukraine...

I spent some time on Match over about a 2-year period, and didn't do so well there, either.

So far, POF has been the best site for me. Even though I haven't gotten any dates yet, I've at least been in contact with some great possibilities. My Yahoo IM is growing weekly, and we'll just have to see what comes of it, since I've only been on a couple of months now...

At this point, though, I check Yahoo occasionally, and stick to just POF.
 Karlthehermit
Msg: 17 (view)

Did I give up to soon?
Posted: 5/28/2007 2:06:30 AM
You whiney, wanking b@stards!

I've been on internet dating sites since 2000! In 7 years, I've only had a handful of dates that ranged from the sublimely mediocre to the patently uncomfortable. OP, you're getting 5 new e-mails a day and meeting someone new every other month? Damn, that makes you a regular Casanova in my book! I'm lucky to get 5 a week and meet someone new once a year...

Yes, you gave up WAY too soon... it could be worse... and I'm the proof...

Okay, I'm done ranting. Carry on...
 Karlthehermit
Msg: 16 (view)

Hours of work vs relationship.....
Posted: 5/28/2007 1:34:54 AM
Yah, I got it bad with the schedule in some respects. I work 2 pm to 12:30 am 4 days a week, M-Th. While it has messed with various practices and activities I enjoy doing with the social organization I'm in, I figured having a 3-day weekend wouldn't really impact dating too much...

Wouldn't you know, the first lady I met on PoF works a full-time, day job, and she signed up for RN classes. Between that and some familial commitments, guess what 4 days she had open for a date?

I have no luck sometimes... okay, most of the time...
 Karlthehermit

Have you ever driven someone away with music?
Posted: 5/26/2007 6:52:47 PM
Wow, this thread left the station without me...

Yah, I think most of us can agree that compatability with music styles is more important than the casual listener realizes. I don't know how many times I've passed on a profile because they're into country music. Now, don't call me narrow-minded, because I spent 7 years eating in every Waffle House on I-75 back in the 90's, and I've heard everything from that modern, twang-rock they call country to the old Hank Williams/George Jones stuff from the 50's and 60's... I just can't arse myself to like that goat-ropin' sh!t...

As an amusing adjunct, I once had a gf who got po'ed at me when she heard some Dead Can Dance I was playing and demanded to know what language Lisa Gerrard was singing in... I tried to explain "glossolalia" to her, but she got more po'ed... LOL...
 Karlthehermit
Msg: 24 (view)

Would you date someone who is mentally ill??????
Posted: 5/26/2007 6:00:18 PM
I don't really mind crazy girls, as long as they're MY kind of crazy. I do have to draw a line somewhere, though, and I think my line is the "Functionality Line." I have a hard time dealing with someone who's so messed up they can't even pretend to live a semblance of a normal life. I know I do a fair job of it despite myself...

IOW, anyone further over the rainbow than me is probably not a good match...

Karlthehermit
Msg: 25 (view)

Have you been recycled?
Posted: 5/26/2007 2:15:54 PM

Now you know you don't mean that. Obviously you'll be counting the days, gazing soulfully at my photo, clutching my discarded sweater to your manly breast while a single tear slides slowly down your cheek......

Maybe...

Or I just might start a thread about how I went 3,000 miles across the ocean, AND ALL I GOT WAS A CUP OF COFFEE!

Karlthehermit
Msg: 17 (view)

Have you been recycled?
Posted: 5/26/2007 11:30:26 AM
Oh well in that case consider us over Karl. I might check you out in a couple of months when I've nothing much happening though. OK?

Nah, don't bother... I didn't like you the first time... LOL!
 Karlthehermit

Have you been recycled?
Posted: 5/26/2007 10:55:01 AM
Recycled? Heck, I haven't even been out with anyone the first time...

Being recycled would be a step up for me...
 Karlthehermit

Dating Abused Woman
Posted: 5/23/2007 10:23:02 PM
Friggin' drama queens...

Just calling it like I see it. She told you that you took "two steps back" with her because you went to look for her? Gee, doesn't that make you feel like the old shoe on the Monopoly board?

Seriously, OP, I can understand being supportive, but this story has many twists and turns you may not want to involve yourself with...
 Karlthehermit
Msg: 16 (view)

Delete my profile and we havent met yet. ??? Am I wrong???
Posted: 5/21/2007 9:01:48 AM
I would only expect a woman to delete her profile, or update it to "not searching" or "forums only" AFTER we had met and AFTER we had a discussed agreement on it. I'm one of the most monogamous people in the world. Heck, I don't even chat with more than one woman at a time because I want to give her my undivided attention. But that guy, OP, stepped way beyond what I consider to be reasonable...

You don't need anyone to "test" you. We're supposed to be mature adults, not school kids in a classroom. Be glad your done with him...
 Karlthehermit

Have you ever driven someone away with music?
Posted: 5/13/2007 12:54:09 PM
You know, I swear to this day I drove away a girlfriend with Faith No More's "The Real Thing" back when it came out. I don't know what it is, but I get obsessive for a time when I find an album or band that I really like. And if the woman I'm dating can't stand the types of music I listen to, our relationship doesn't seem to last long...

Anyone else like this?
 Karlthehermit
Msg: 25 (view)

Topics of Conversation that End a Date Rather Quickly
Posted: 5/12/2007 6:12:47 PM
Politics, religion, art and music are the only things worth talking about.
 Karlthehermit
Msg: 10 (view)

Moving To Another City To Find Love?
Posted: 5/12/2007 6:01:50 PM
Screw all that! I'm thinking about moving to another planet at this point...

Karlthehermit
Msg: 8 (view)

Drunk Dating
Posted: 5/12/2007 5:46:26 PM
^^^^What he said. OP, is this really a common problem, or are you fvcking high? Doh! Sorry, that's probably your next thread...

Show ALL Forums