Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Calgary Monthly Bowling Event Need Suggestions PLEASE!
 dirtbag2
Msg: 5 (view)

Calgary Monthly Bowling Event Need Suggestions PLEASE!
Posted: 11/16/2008 12:39:49 AM
Did we make any headway with this while I was busy relocating?

I'd make the 90 minute drive into Calgary in a heartbeat ( and the 90 minute drive back home afterwards ) so I could attend such events!
 dirtbag2
Msg: 42 (view)

Funny Analogies Pertaining to Dating, Relationships or Sex - Add to the List !
Posted: 9/20/2008 2:20:10 AM
" Sex is like Bridge. If you don't have a good partner, then you had better have a good hand."

I saw this posted on the board above the former Adam and Eve's on MacLeod Trail a couple of weeks ago and nearly busted a gut.
 dirtbag2
Msg: 81 (view)

Acceptable height differences....
Posted: 9/20/2008 2:13:55 AM
I have met only two men in my entire life that are shorter than I am, and in both cases they are much "bigger" men than many " average" height or "tall" males.

A person's height doesn't define who they are and how good of a person they are. That all comes from within. Doesn't matter to me one bit how tall they are ( or not ). What matters is how big their heart is and how they make me feel when I'm with them.

At 5'3" in my barefeet, nearly everybody is taller than I am, male or female. I've dated guys ranging in height from 5'1" to 6'8". My current man is 5' 5 1/2" tall and my ex-husband is 5'5". Just coincidence. LOL I "tower" over both of them in my heels ( I tend to wear 4"-5" heels when I do wear them-- not so I can be "tall", but because I think they look sexy!)

IMHO-- Anybody that would rule out dating a person because of their height is not somebody I'd want to date anyways.
 dirtbag2
Msg: 20 (view)

What's with separated looking for long term?
Posted: 9/20/2008 1:37:33 AM
I have been legally separated from my husband for nearly four years now. I'd love it if the man I'm married to would file for divorce but he seems to be in no hurry to do so, and simply put, I can't afford it. He is dating somebody and is raising our son, and we have a relatively civil working relationship.

My marriage was over LONG before I actually left him, and there is not a hope in hell that we will ever reconcile. Just because I don't have that piece of paper that says I am no longer married does not make me tied to this man. I am no longer his wife as far as I am concerned. I don't love him and I don't have any emotional ties to him. Those ties were severed when I chose to leave him.

Offhand, I have no idea what my official POF Marital Status says. It doesn't matter to me because they're only words.

Am I single? No. I have been living with an amazing man for a little over two years now, and I consider THIS man to be my spouse/husband/whatever-you-want-to-call-it. This is because of the emotional and spiritual bond I share with him and not because a piece of paper or some legislation says he is. He loves and respects my son, and my son loves and respects him. When my son was asked to make paper cutouts that represent his family a couple of months ago, he cut out FOUR figures-- his father ( my "ex" ), himself, me, and my current Man. I think that speaks volumes all on its own.

Frankly, even WHEN I do get that piece of paper called a Divorce decree, I have no plans to marry this man. Just as I don't think I need a piece of paper to tell me that I no longer have a bond with one man, I don't need a piece of paper to tell me that I DO have a bond with another one.

For the record, I had been separated for 18 months before I entered into another relationship.
 dirtbag2
Msg: 3 (view)

Needing some help with locating to Calgary
Posted: 9/19/2008 10:39:43 PM
LOL Good luck with finding low income housing!!! Believe me I empathize with you, since my income falls just short of the poverty line. I believe the place you want to contact is the Calgary Housing Authority. You can also try CUPS. I'd be willing to bet that the waitlists are HUGE.

As far as dayhomes go, as far as I know there isn't a listing, since there are so many of them. I believe you can likely find a listing of LICENSED day homes and daycares from the Provincial government, failing that you can try 311 in Calgary City. The beauty of a licensed dayhome is that there are standards of care that must be met and strictly adhered to adult:child ratios... AND you can receive subsidies if you are using a licensed daycare or dayhome.

CUPS would likely be a great source of help with other things like setting up your utitilities. I believe CUPS also has a program to help people pay their damage deposits. Check it out!

I wish you and your son the best of luck with your relocation to Calgary, and hope you both find much happiness here.

In the meantime.. I'm outta here on November 1--moving to a small, small, small town about 125 kms south of Calgary.

cheers
Misha
 dirtbag2

Concert Ticket Frustrations
Posted: 9/19/2008 6:42:13 PM
yeah that kind of ticked me off too. I'd LOVE To see Metallica. Unfortunately there isn't a bigger venue than the Dome to hold a show like this in the winter.

I believe it is also illegal to scalp tickets here too, ( ie sell them for more than face value ) but I could be wrong.
 dirtbag2

Calgary Monthly Bowling Event Need Suggestions PLEASE!
Posted: 9/19/2008 6:33:38 PM
Hi there

I just googled both bowling centres and karaoke listings and put the two of them together.
I'm not sure how up-to-date the listings are but it's something to go on.

From what I can see Chinook Lanes is probably your best bet.
There are two pubs within about four blocks of there that offer karaoke on both Friday and Saturday nights.
1. O' Sullivan's Pub 5920 MacLeod Trail Southwest ( karaoke by Karaoke World )
2. Foggy Dew Neighborhood Pub 6120 - 3 St SE ( karaoke by Karaoke World )

the second option that may be worth looking into is to bowl at Paradise Lanes in Forest Lawn 3411 17 Ave SE
On Fridays there is karaoke offered at:
1. Kokonut Kove 3309 17 Ave SE
2. Screech & Schooner 40 st/ 17 Ave SE
3. Station 52 1806 - 52 St SE ( I've been there and the pub itself isn't too scary )
( the Town and Country also offers karaoke but that place is a nasty dive!!! )

Saturdays there is karaoke at the Watergrill 17 Ave/ 48 st SE

My opinion is that Chinook is by far a better alternative than Forest Lawn. Just my two bits worth.

Back in June I offered to help you with this and the offer is still good... send me a PM if there is anything I can do to get this event going again! ( even if I AM leaving Calgary permanently Nov 1st I'm still going to be around Calgary a lot-- like two or three times a week, probably!!)
 dirtbag2
Msg: 48 (view)

Friday, July 18th! - Calgary PoF All-Stars (and newbs) Bowling and Karaoke!!!
Posted: 8/21/2008 9:47:24 PM
I"m guessing that since it's already August 21st and I haven't heard anything, that there is no August event... or am I blind???
 dirtbag2
Msg: 46 (view)

Friday, July 18th! - Calgary PoF All-Stars (and newbs) Bowling and Karaoke!!!
Posted: 8/4/2008 2:12:44 AM
damn! sorry I missed that one!

I was with my 8yo son camping out at Dinosaur Provincial Park when this event happened.... I made that reservation in April and made the commitment to my son, and there was NOTHING that was going to intervene with those plans.

Apparently there were people at this event looking for me, and I'm totally sorry that I couldn't be there to meet them. ( you know who you are!!!!)

So, now that I've been across the continent and back TWICE, gone to Montana TWICE, went camping for two weeks and braved the BRUTAL, BRUTAL quantities of mosquitoes, been to South Dakota, been to Yellowstone Park in Wyoming ( just got home from there two days ago), and been to Edmonton TWICE, my traveling days for 2008 have come to an end --- well OK except for the September Long when ANOTHER trip to Montana is planned. ROFLMAO

What this means is that there should be no reason why I can't attend this event in August/September/October/November/December... is anything planned for this month yet?

I know you've mentioned that there were issues with the establishments and I've offered to help if I can in any way.. the offer is still open. Send me an e-mail if you need to get ahold of me, and I promise I'll try to get back here more often to check in for updates.

BTW I FINALLY got rid of the cast on 20 July! My foot is now about 90% and bowling is just the activity I need to get it back to 100%

See you soon I hope! hugz to all

Misha
 dirtbag2
Msg: 67 (view)

Moving to Calgary...any advice?
Posted: 8/4/2008 1:52:39 AM
Well, it's kind of late to offer any advice on good parts of town to live in, since you've got yourself a place... but I'll throw in my two bits as well.

I'm also a transplanted Vancouverite but have been here since 2000. This city has changed A LOT since I got here eight years ago. I used to think it was friendly and had that small town mentality ( which I loved ) but that disappeared in the last three years or so.

After commuting from Mallairdville to Grouse Mountain 90 minutes or so each way, and seeing all kinds of crazy driving habits on the West Coast I thought I was prepared for anything. What I've noticed here is that people tailgate like crazy. Forget about leaving yourself the "two-car" space between yourself and the next guy, because if you do, five cars will cut you off and go for that space. Expect to have vehicular hemmoroids ( sp?) pretty much all the time. The other posters are all correct in that avoiding Deerfoot during rush hour is a good plan if at all possible.

Snow is good.. normally it's easy to shovel if you get to it within a few hours, otherwise if it's given an opportunity to melt at all you will have lots of ice to chip. The snow here is usually light and fluffy and not that nasty wet heavy snow that can be dumped out West. The poster that suggested snow tires is dead on... all-seasons just don't cut it here. You'll be thankful for extra traction after you've done a couple of spinaramas trying to take a corner.

Also invest in a good pair of winter boots with a -30 or better rating and a parka -- and some thermal long johns, especially if you plan to take part in some of the many, many recreational activities available here. Be prepared to see snow in any month except July. It is rare after the May long and up until the end of September, but does happen sometimes. Of course, the opposite is also true-- it can be +10, even +15 in January or February.

As for what is an "undesirable" part of town, there are crappy neighborhoods in every quadrant, and good ones in every quadrant. Forest Lawn and Dover in the SE have bad reps but are no scarier than parts of East Van are. I was WAY more scared when I lived at Fraser/ E Broadway in Vancouver than when I lived in Forest Lawn and in Dover. Bowness out in the NW isn't great but again there are worse hoods in Vancouver. The NE quadrant has a lot of immigrants and IMHO has most of the Asian and East Indian populations living there, but I don't think that makes it worse than other parts of town. About the only negative thing I can say about the SW quadrant is that getting in and out of some of those communities is a nightmare because of the crappy infrastructure.

I live in the Beltline area of "downtown" Calgary and am walking distance from the Red Mile ( which is where the Ship and Anchor is ), the Calgary Tower, the Stampede Grounds/Saddledome, and the Mission district. I can also walk to the Beltline Aquatic and Fitness Centre and the Memorial park library, and there are three tennis courts across the street-- all pluses. It's like any other inner city community and there are going to be undesirable elements such as traffic, construction, drugs and hookers, but all in all I think it's decent, as far as inner city goes. It's NOWHERE close to being as scary as Main/Hastings or even Broadway/Fraser or Broadway/Knight St.

The transit system sucks here, so be prepared to get squashed like a sardine or wait a long time for a bus if you plan to take transit. Probably a good plan to avoid the c-train platforms, especially downtown, at night. You can ride your bike almost year round, so take advantage of the bike paths if you can, to get around.

I personally have found Calgary to be an EXTREMELY hard place to meet people and make new friends, and have found it to be quite "cliquey". The "old boys club" is still closed to women in the business world. It's about WHO you know here that will make you or break you. LOL Apparently I don't know the right people!!

AUTHENTIC Chinese food is nearly impossible to find as is AUTHENTIC Greek food ( Hello!!!!-- Greek Salad does NOT have lettuce in it!). Good seafood is a rarity here but can be found... there are some great fish markets in the South near Willow Park.

You will love the wealth of recreational opportunities and activities you can do here, year-round, and the proximity to the mountains. My Man and I camp year-round and ride our motorcycles year-round ( although on a limited basis in winter ). The best trout fishing in North America is in the Bow River. K-country is amazing for backwoods camping... hell, K-country is amazing, period. Drumheller and Dinosaur Prov. Park-- both about two hours away-- will blow your mind. And of course there's snow sports at Nakiska, Sunshine Village, Mt. Norquay, and Lake Louise just to name a few. Nakiska is less than an hour from Calgary and has challenging runs. I personally don't care for COP ( it's like Grouse Mountain, short runs and a solid sheet of ice ) but like Grouse it offers Night skiing/riding if you have to have a fix.

That's my two bits worth on some aspects of life in Calgary.. I was in Vancouver for eighteen years and have been here for eight-- and I prefer Calgary by far!

Good luck with your move and welcome to Calgary!
 dirtbag2
Msg: 28 (view)

Friday, June 6th! - Calgary PoF All-Stars (and newbs) Bowling and Karaoke!!!
Posted: 7/2/2008 7:26:21 PM
Anything planned for July or August?
 dirtbag2
Msg: 26 (view)

Posted: 6/9/2008 10:01:57 AM
* putting on best Elvis voice* Thank you, thank you very much

I had a blast! Special thanks to Michael for being my "ball boy" and handing me the balls instead of making me lean over to pick one up. I even managed to bowl a decent game the first time.. hell I've bowled worse than that when NOT on crutches!

Looking forward to next month's bowling-- assuming that there will be one. .. even though odds are good that I'll still be on crutches.

Misha
 dirtbag2
Msg: 44 (view)

Corsets and Binding in the name of Lust
Posted: 6/6/2008 2:46:32 PM
I recently purchased a "real" corset at my local adult store. I already had a couple of them but they weren't even close to the same quality as this one is.

I didn't even look at the price tag-- once the salesperson had me all laced up, she marched me over to the mirror. I took one look and said "sold". LOL This corset took nearly 12" off my waistline and still left me comfortable and able to breathe. Gotta like anything that can make me look THAT curvy!!!

Now, as I've said previously, I'm quite " ample" in the boob department and wear anywhere from a DD to a G cup depending on the make of bra. This particular corset is an overbust type and I had no trouble fitting the "girls" inside it, with no flattening or spillage either up top or on the sides.

It's a plain black satin corset, with no bows, beads, sparkles, or other embellishments. It's got pretty damn sturdy steel clasp-type things in the front that will make a "snap" or a "click" sound when they're done up correctly-- they're solid. There is NO WAY in hell this puppy will pop open even when it's tightly laced to the max. The boning is spiral steel-- it does NOT collapse or bend under pressure.

It has double lacing in the back-- one set starts at the top, the other at the bottom. Both laces meet in the middle and are attached to each other, so I only have to pull on and deal with tying one set of laces. I can pull this puppy tight no problem without assistance because the laces are set up this way.

Contrary to what some people have posted, it is rather comfortable. At least this one is. I wore it underneath a tight t-shirt to attend a meet-and-greet when I was travelling, and it stayed on for eight hours no problem... and believe me it was laced up tight.

I suspect that if you find your corset uncomfortable, you either have a corset that doesn't fit you right or is of poor quality-- or both. Either that or you're just not used to the feeling.

For the record-- the price tag for this corset was $260. Pricy, for sure!!!! However, it is worth every cent and will last me a lifetime.

Now that I actually own a "real" corset, I understand why they're so expensive--- and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if I had more disposable income.
 dirtbag2
Msg: 18 (view)

Posted: 6/6/2008 2:15:00 PM
OK-- how's this sound-- put my name on one of the bowling spots and I'll give bowling one-legged a go. If I can't do it , then somebody can sub for me ( assuming of course that there is a shortage of spaces ). I have no problem with forking over the eight bucks, whether I use the lane or not.

The one thing I do have to ask-- kind of insist on-- is that my bowling lane has to be one of the middle ones, just so I don't have to hobble so far and so it's easier to get in and out of. ... DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT trying to put me on one of the end lanes!!!! I may have to beat you senseless with my crutches if you do!

see ya in about four hours!
peace out
Misha
 dirtbag2
Msg: 80 (view)

Why Does It Seem That EVERYONE On This Site Rides Motorcycles???
Posted: 6/6/2008 1:39:37 PM
I think that as gasoline prices continue to skyrocket, you will see more and more motorcycles on the road.

The other thing that seems to be happening, is that motorcycles are becoming more "mainstream". More and more you will see that there are doctors, lawyers, teachers, accountants, and other "professionals" buying and riding motorcycles.

I spent a week in the Black Hills of South Dakota ( which is in the vicinity of Sturgis ) in early May 2008 and had an opportunity to talk to quite a few locals, both of the "biker" and non-biker variety. What I was told by both groups may surprise you guys.

The good folks of Sturgis have seen a huge increase in the numbers of "professionals" that are not just riding bikes but are attending the rally. The result has been that they've jacked up the cost of pretty much everything because they figure that these guys have lots of money. The prices don't just get jacked up during Bike Week-- they jack up the prices for the week before and after the rally as well, hoping to capitalize on anybody who may come early or stay late. It now costs $10.00 for a hi-ball or a beer during Bike Week. Hotel rooms range from $250-1000 a night. Even a campsite will run $75.00 or more per night.

The law enforcement agencies and business owners have also clamped WAY down on "illegal" and "immoral" conduct . There are stiff penalties for public nudity ( read: flashing your titties ), urinating in public, public drunkenness, littering, excessive noise ( read: loud pipes or boom boxes ), and various other misdemeanors. The fines start at $500.

The old way of "anything goes" at Bike Week is a thing of the past. It has become more of a politically correct, conservative, Big Business-orientated thing, rather than a celebration of the biker lifestyle.

What has been happening in the last three or four years because of the shift in attitude and the obvious price-gouging is that the "average joe" bikers are starting to congregate in Beulah, Wyoming for at least two days of the Bike Week R ally. Beulah, Wyoming is just across the state line and is less than thirty minutes from Sturgis.

Apparently the people of Beulah are very welcoming and are more than happy to receive the tourism dollars that the bikers bring with them. What I was told is that the local law enforcement also will "turn a blind eye" on the small stuff such as flashing, drunkenness, noise, etc. and will only intervene when it is more serious... basically, let the bikers have a good time and don't hassle them.

I visited Sturgis while I was in the area and it is a sleepy little town with next to nothing to offer in terms of tourism. It is my opinion that they're biting the hand that feeds them, and the actions they're taking might come back to bite them in the a$$.

BTW, I paid $2.55 for my****ails, $2.25 for a Mike's Hard Lemonade, and $45 a night for my hotel room during the nine days I was there.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that the Black Hills is an AMAZING place and I can see why the area attracts so many bikers. The roads there are a biker's dream with lots of curves and incredible scenery. I'll be back-- but next time I want to be on two wheels not four.
 dirtbag2
Msg: 79 (view)

Posted: 6/6/2008 11:26:32 AM
I have to wonder if the OP sees so few motorcycles because, like a lot of car drivers, they don't LOOK for them!!

My Man has always called himself a "biker". He doesn't have any tattoos or piercings and he doesn't belong to a club or "gang". What he is, is a man who LOVES being on his bike and who will ride any chance he gets. He's been known to ride on Christmas Day, on New Year's Day, in February.. I think you get the point I'm trying to make here.

As long as there is no snow or ice on the road and not a lot of gravel, AND it's warmer than about 35ºF outside, chances are good he'll be on his bike. Chances are good I'll be sitting right behind him too.

LOL I've always preferred the term " motorcycle enthusiast". As I and others have posted here previously, being a "biker" is all about attitude, your way of thinking, and your way of life. It's NOT about trying to look cool or tough, being tattooed, long-haired, or pierced.

You don't have to ride a Harley to be a "biker", and Harleys are not the only "real" bikes. To say that a Harley is the only "real" bike or to say that it is the only bike "worth riding" is like saying that a Dodge Ram is the only "real" truck or the only truck "worth driving", or that a Ford Mustang is the only "real" car out there, etc. Just like any other vehicle, it's all a matter of brand preference.

A person's height, weight, strength, ability, intended use, and lifestyle are all considerations when choosing a motorcycle. Because I'm so damn short, there are only a few makes and models that I can safely ride.

You have to be able to put both feet flat on the ground when straddling a bike to safely operate it, and you have to have enough strength to pick it up should you be so unfortunate as to lay it down.

Unfortunately, if we're riding in Alberta, we have to wear helmets-- courtesy of some pesky helmet law-- so there's not really a chance to feel the wind in our hair to any great degree. Believe me, I certainly understand the sentiment behind that feeling though.

LOL This post is getting long, so I'm gonna put this one up and and discuss some other things relating to motorcycles and " the lifestyle" in another one.

dirtbag2
Msg: 16 (view)

Posted: 6/6/2008 10:40:07 AM
Oh boy oh boy!
These events are a BLAST! I've been sooo totally missing these too!

Count me in... I somehow doubt that I'll be able to bowl tonight though. Are wheelchairs available for the bowling?

I MAY try to bowl a game by standing on one foot, since the other one is in a cast and I' m not allowed to put any weight on it whatsoever. Want to know why my foot is in a cast? Show up tonight and ask me!!!!

If nothing else, I'll show up just for the pleasure of the company of all of these fine peeps.

... and of course I just CAN'T miss out on a chance to rock y'all out with my signature karaoke pieces. Be warned: I had an opportunity to try out a few other pieces when I was in South Dakota back in April/May and you never know-- I might give one of them a go!!

ciao babes, see y'all later!

Misha
 dirtbag2
Msg: 136 (view)

2nd Annual Alberta POF Biker Meet in Red Deer, Saturday, May 10/08
Posted: 5/12/2008 11:12:50 PM
I'm also sorry that I had to miss this event.. was soooo looking forward to it.

My travel plans that initially had me returning home to Calgary on the 27th of April got changed a few times, got extended a few times, and I encountered some delays (such as the blizzard that hammered Rapid City, S Dakota on 02 May)... the result being that I didn't get back to Calgary until the 11th of May.

I'd be very interested in doing a ride or two over the summer... anybody interested in a possible ride out to Wayne, AB to hang out at the Last Chance Saloon? If you haven't done this ride yet, it's worth it... very amazing ride.

as an aside (totally off-topic but what the heck)------

I had time to actually visit Sturgis while I was in S Dakota... when the bike rally isn't on, Sturgis is a very sleepy little town. I stood in front of the live webcam on Main St for an hour and waved at my Man and family/friends across the continent. LOL

My friends in the Black Hills tell me that the folks in Sturgis are now starting to really gouge the riders during the rally, and the law enforcement has made having "wild times" nearly impossible. I was told that the riders are now starting to congregate in Beulah, Wyoming instead and are slowly moving away from Sturgis. Apparently anything goes in Beulah and they are more than happy to accommodate the riders.

peace out
Misha
 dirtbag2
Msg: 14 (view)

Friday, February 15th! - Calgary PoF All-Stars (and newbs) Bowling and Karaoke!!!
Posted: 5/12/2008 11:00:26 PM
I also really enjoyed ( and looked forward to) this event.

Any word on whether there will be a May bowling/karaoke event, or even a June one?
I'd love to do it again really soon.

peace out
Misha
 dirtbag2
Msg: 69 (view)

Separate Bedrooms....?
Posted: 4/5/2008 3:10:23 PM
As much as I admit that I would dearly LOVE to have my Man laying next to me every night, it's just not meant to be. We tried sharing a bed for the first six weeks we lived together, and neither one of us got a decent nights sleep.

He is up at 5 am every morning-- some nights I don't go to bed until 3 am. He goes to sleep by 11 pm at the latest, when I'm at my finest and ready to rock n roll. He likes it about 55º and no blankets-- I like it about 70º and lots of blankets. I roll around a lot in my sleep and have been known to whack him pretty good on the few occasions when we do have to share a bed. He snores ( but it's not that bad!!! ).. I grind my teeth.

While I'll admit to missing out on that cuddling and intimacy that sharing a bed can involve, we have a strong, affectionate, and loving relationship... and I look forward to my morning " wake-up calls"
 dirtbag2
Msg: 13 (view)

Calgary - Guitar Hero - 7-9 p.m. Saturday night, April 12'th
Posted: 4/5/2008 2:57:08 PM
Unfortunately, I'll be in Miramichi, New Brunswick on April 12th, so won't be able to attend.

Have a great time everybody!!!
M
 dirtbag2
Msg: 11 (view)

Calgary - Guitar Hero - 7-9 p.m. Saturday night, April 5th
Posted: 4/2/2008 6:28:52 PM
so where is this going to be held? or is it?
 dirtbag2
Msg: 13 (view)

Friday, February 15th! - Calgary PoF All-Stars (and newbs) Bowling and Karaoke!!!
Posted: 4/2/2008 6:24:13 PM
hey what's up? I didn't see a thread for any March event either!!!

In any event, I won't be able to attend the April bowling and karaoke event either( assuming that there is one), as I have to return to New Brunswick to help Dirtbag pack up the contents of his Dad's house and finalize the Estate.

I'm leaving New Brunswick on the 16th to bring the "new car" (2007 Jetta TDi Wagon, loaded to the nuts!) home from there via: Bangor ME, Portsmouth NH, Lancaster PA, Hico WV, Louisville KY, Detroit MI, Minneapolis MN, Mt Rushmore SD, Devils Tower WY, Ludlow ND, Regina SK to home. LOL Yes, folks I'm taking a little vacation along the way. Believe me when I say I've earned it over the last three months, trying to deal with a very sad and angry Man.

So, you guys are just going to have to live for another month without hearing me rock " Sweet Child O Mine"

hugz to all
Misha
 dirtbag2
Msg: 33 (view)

2nd Annual Alberta POF Biker Meet in Red Deer, Saturday, May 10/08
Posted: 4/2/2008 6:11:14 PM
I'm actually going to be the passenger on this ride, but my Man (aka dirtbag) is always up for going on a ride.. in other words I've signed him up too LOL. He just doesn't know it yet.

I would think that we'd have Beauty's charging system repaired by then. And who knows, maybe by then I'll have my OWN ride!!! ( We're working on that )

Looking forward to it!
 dirtbag2
Msg: 36 (view)

Forcing Addicts into treatment
Posted: 3/15/2008 12:08:49 PM
I'm a recovered addict, twice over. I have some experience on this subject.

I had a $2500 a day cocaine habit when I was 18. I used so much coke that I nearly killed myself. I was forced into rehab by somebody who truly cared about me and spent nearly a year as in inpatient, followed by another 18 months as an outpatient.

When I was committed to the rehab clinic I weighed 67 lbs and could no longer support my skeleton. I couldn't walk. My reproductive system shut down. My eyes bled. My nose bled. My throat bled. I was in the early stages of kidney failure. My heart had weakened to the point that anything likely to cause my heartbeat to increase would cause me to go into cardiac arrest. I was told that if I hadn't gone into treatment, that I would likely have been dead within another thirty days.

I did manage to stay clean and sober for maybe four years following my exiting this program... but eventually I went back to it. When I was 25, I decided that this lifestyle wasn't something I wanted to live anymore, and I quit using coke. I had the love and support of my family and attended NA for many many years. I have not touched it since-- I've now been cocaine-free for SEVENTEEN years.

So-- forced treatment didn't work. No amount of pleading, berating, hassling, threatening, toughlove, or cajoling changed my behavior or stopped me from using the drugs.

I didn't beat the addiction and stop using the drugs until it was something that I decided I needed and wanted to do for MYSELF.

Even though I had stopped using cocaine, I still smoked heavy amounts of pot. I continued to smoke pot heavily-- ten to fifteen joints a day-- until two years ago. At that time I'd met a man who was very much against drug use, and couldn't deal with my addiction. I came to realize that I was in love with this man and I really didn't want to lose him, and that all the excuses I'd been using to justify my smoking were pure bull$h!t.

I quit smoking pot in February 2006 and haven't looked back since. It was killer tough to quit smoking pot. It took four months before the cravings went away. Thanks to AADAC and NA, and thanks to the love and support of my Man, I got through it.

My experience tells me that anybody who claims that marijuana isn't addictive is either full of crap, in denial, or completely uneducated on the subject. But again, I managed to stop using because it was ME that WANTED to quit.

I once lived with a man who I loved passionately and who my whole world revolved around... and he was a crackhead. In the end it tore us apart. As much as he loved me, the addiction was stronger than our love was. He stole from me. He lied to me. He tried his best to hide it from me. The more we fought about it, the more I begged him to stop, the more I threatened him, the more he used. It was a vicious cycle. It took TWO heart attacks before he turned 35, and after only two years of smoking crack, that gave him the wake-up call and prompted him to stop using it. I do believe that he is still crack-free; unfortunately it was far too late to be able to salvage that relationship.

The addiction speaks far louder than any family ties or love the addict may have for somebody; it takes over every aspect of the addict's personality. An addict will choose the drug over his family. An addict will choose the drug over his friends. An addict will choose the drug over his job. An addict will choose the drug over his life. Nothing anybody tries to do will change that, until the addict CHOOSES to make the changes for himself.

Sorry if this is an unreasonably long post, but this issue is one I feel strongly about.

Should people be forced into treatment for their addictions? NOT A CHANCE. It's a waste of money.

The money would be better spent on education and prevention programs, on giving dealers harsher penalties, on increased support for at-risk people-- things like higher EI or welfare rates, better access to educational upgrading, lower healthcare premiums, life-skills classes, counselling-- PREVENTION is the answer, not forced treatment.

My two cents worth
*stepping off the soapbox*
 dirtbag2
Msg: 5 (view)

Ladies interested in playing on a Calgary slopitch team...
Posted: 3/15/2008 11:26:53 AM
hi there

Where would these games be played?

I may be interested in this as well, although Thursday nights aren't ideal for me.

Is this a mixed team as in men/ladies?

I also have a suggestion-- if there is a lot of demand, is it possible to create two teams, so that everybody who wants to play can do so?

cheers
Misha
 dirtbag2
Msg: 7 (view)

PICTURES ~ Friday, February 15th - Calgary PoF All-Stars (and newbs) Bowling and Karaoke
Posted: 3/5/2008 5:21:32 PM
Has the date for the March event been set yet?
 dirtbag2
Msg: 6 (view)

PICTURES ~ Friday, February 15th - Calgary PoF All-Stars (and newbs) Bowling and Karaoke
Posted: 2/20/2008 6:03:40 AM
Damn! You mean I missed it?????
 dirtbag2
Msg: 24 (view)

Friday, January 25th! - Calgary PoF All-Stars (and newbs) Bowling and Karaoke!!!
Posted: 1/25/2008 11:27:11 AM
Hope everybody had a great Christmas and New Year's.

I don't know if you'll ever be able to get rid of me now!!!

Perhaps we can hoist an extra one this time to celebrate my birthday ( or is that to mourn the passing of my youth? ) Who knows, maybe it will be quiet at the pub and we adventurous ones might be able to "sing" more than one song without waiting all night.

My Christmas and New Year break was certainly an adventure! We put 13,700 kms (that's about 8500 miles for you Americans) on the van, visited 28 US States and two Canadian Provinces....all this in 27 days. Unfortunately, I also put on about 10 lbs courtesy of a steady diet of fast food and soda pop

Suffice it to say I have more than a few stories to tell, for anybody who might be interested.

see you later tonight!!!
 dirtbag2
Msg: 61 (view)

Posted: 1/24/2008 10:12:26 PM
I've been one bikes of one form or another since I was five and won't stop riding until I'm dead!

Don't they realize I'm NOT one of them? It's like cats and dogs in a way, I'm riding a REAL bike, not some version of a 2 wheel car. If someone on a Trike waved at me I think it would about make me ill.

So the best I can do, and only if there's a gal on the back or actually riding her own bike, is my "Nod", after all when you are riding a real bike, you better hang on with two hands.

You got your wish, there dude!

I'll let you stay in your little dream world where you think that "crotch rockets" are the only type of "REAL" bikes. Dude, not everybody wants to be hunched over a bike like a pretzel and eating exhaust fumes from the surrounding vehicles because your face is about the same height as most SUV's tailpipes. Try riding to Sturgis bent over like that and tell me that your back isn't killing you.

Granted, crotch rockets are more powerful/a lot faster, cc for cc, than a heavy cruiser or touring bike. A 600 cc crotch rocket can blow my man's Virago 1100 heavy cruiser away off the line and leave me in its dust. Crotch rockets have better acceleration than cruisers or touring bikes. This is the same reason that they are inherently more dangerous.

More often than not, it's very young guys that ride crotch rockets, and these are the same guys who are much more aggressive riders/drivers, and who have the highest insurance rates. I have never seen anyone on a cruiser or touring bike do wheelies, burn doughnuts, or weave and bob in between lanes of traffic at a high rate of speed. It's the same acceleration that makes aggressive riding dangerous, because those bikes move so fast you don't see them coming.

Did you ever stop to think that MAYBE that guy over there on the trike is mobility-impaired and this is how he can still ride a motorcycle?? Is he less of a "real" biker and does he deserve any less to experience the exhiliration of riding, because his arthritis won't let him walk any more, his knees are messed up, or he's missing part of a limb due to an accident, or whatever?

IMHO, crotch rockets were designed for racing and should stay on the racetracks.

Why not!?! It's so exciting, sensual, free and you get to wrap your arms around your man the whole trip! There's something naughty and dangerous about riding a bike. And macho and sexual about the rider! To be wrapped around the man your with, through the open road feeling carefree with your hair blowing in the wind.

I love the sentiment, girl, and you're definitely on the right track to adopting the "biker" way of thinking, but you've got one thing dead wrong in my opinion..... No way in hell should you have your arms wrapped around your man! Your arms should be either at your side or on your lap. It's unsafe to be wrapped around your man like that. If he loses his balance for some reason, you go with him. If you're not wrapped around him, your weight may counter that effect and help to keep the bike upright. When I see a girl wrapping her arms around a male rider, my only thought is that she's scared/nervous and doesn't trust the person at the throttle. In the case of crotch rockets, I can see why she would be scared

If you're going to go on a long ride such as the one to Sturgis, you're going to want to be relaxed and comfortable. I'd also be willing to bet that your Man doesn't want you wrapped around him all the time either, as it can be quite constricting.

Not all real bikers are "bad boys" and not all female bikers go around flashing their tits.

Wearing leather does NOT make you a "real" biker nor does it indicate that you're in a gang. Leather is worn to protect skin in the event that the bike is laid down; concrete or asphalt will rip through your jeans in half a second but won't do the same to the leather. Strangely enough it also protects you from wind and cold, to some degree.

In response to some comments about what constitutes a "real" biker (and this is my opinion only): It's not about what you ride and it's not about what you wear when you ride. It's not about whether you have long hair or belong to a club and wear colours. It's not about trying to look and act tough or cool. It's not about having a bunch of tattoos and/or piercings. It's not about status.

What it IS about , is the feeling of pure joy and the song in your heart that you feel when you ride your bike. It's about loving every minute of the time you're on that bike. It's about wanting to ride it every chance you get, even when the weather isn't ideal. It's about the freedom, the peace, and the serenity you feel from riding, and it permeates your soul. Being a "real" biker is more about ATTITUDE than it is about lifestyle or appearance.

It doesn't matter WHAT you ride; what matters is that you DO ride.
 dirtbag2
Msg: 56 (view)

aboriginal racism....still happening today?
Posted: 11/15/2007 11:48:54 PM
Just a guess.. but I'm thinking that pof.prize's course of study at university is NOT English.
 dirtbag2
Msg: 26 (view)

Friday, November 23rd! - Calgary PoF All-Stars (and newbs) Bowling and Karaoke!!!
Posted: 11/5/2007 12:00:34 AM
I'm not going to argue that point For sure we're getting a deal at Toppler.

I've taken my Little Man (aka DirtBall) to Frank Sisson's bowling alleys and they want $30 an hour for the lanes plus shoe rental. If we go hard at it, we can squeeze in two games in a half an hour... that's still 7.50 per person.

See ya there!
 dirtbag2
Msg: 135 (view)

How do you define overweight?
Posted: 11/1/2007 11:59:05 PM
I have to disagree with NatGoat's assessment of a 5'5" lady having " a few" extra pounds at a weight of 140.

For any woman, the "ideal weight" depends on bone structure and body shape/type. The "ideal weight" is not one figure but a range, usually of about 25 pounds.

At 5' 3- 1/2" tall and having a "petite' frame ( LOL in spite of my big boobs), my healthy weight is anywhere from 115-140 lbs according to my GP . In my case, I'd define " a few extra pounds" as a weight of 140-155. I weighed 117 lbs two years ago and thought I looked great, but it was unsustainable and to maintain that weight I practically starved myself. I try to keep my weight around 125-130 lbs.

IMHO, NatGoat's assessment is based on the societal brainwashing that dictates that women should be stick-thin to be healthy. At the Telus World of Science there's a display that states the AVERAGE North American female is 5'4 and 145 lbs. Using that statistic, his 5'5", 140 lb female would actually be UNDERWEIGHT compared to the norm.

I think a lot of us have forgotten that the women who have been considered to be among the sexiest who ever lived-- Marilyn Monroe (wore a size 14), Jane Russell, Mae West, Rita Hayworth, Raquel Welch, Sophia Loren, Ann-Margret---- all of these women are/were full figured and certainly not stick-thin.
 dirtbag2
Msg: 19 (view)

Friday, November 23rd! - Calgary PoF All-Stars (and newbs) Bowling and Karaoke!!!
Posted: 11/1/2007 11:24:01 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot... did you know that it's still $8.00 even if you bring your own shoes?
 dirtbag2
Msg: 18 (view)

Posted: 11/1/2007 11:21:31 PM
I am soooooo in! Had a great time last time!
 dirtbag2
Msg: 145 (view)

Open realtionships is it just cheating
Posted: 10/24/2007 11:43:12 PM
Like so many have said, there is no cheating if there are no lies, no deception, no sneaking around, and no "rule-breaking".

This is the first open relationship that I've been in, and I wish that I'd had one sooner. I don't have an overly jealous, controlling, and untrusting partner trying to control who I go out with and what I do. I had a husband who tried to control my friendships, my activities with my friends, and my schedule... the tighter that "leash" got, the more I fought it...eventually I broke free and haven't looked back.

I'm given the freedom to make ADULT choices-- and accept the risks and responsibilities that go with them.

My emotional bond is with my Man. He ALWAYS comes first in my heart and in my actions. I can't imagine a day without him in it. I look forward to coming home from work and I even look forward to eating his lousy cooking ( his cooking was BRUTALLY BAD when I first started dating him two years ago, but is slowly improving) . I love spending time with him just hanging out or watching a movie, and our time together out in K-country when we go camping is simply fantastic!

I'm ALWAYS upfront about my plans if they involve sex with someone else. He knows exactly who I'll be with and where I'll be, and I'll arrange to keep in touch every couple of hours so that he knows I'm safe. Some days he'll get a phone call saying " take your time coming home, XYZ is coming over for a while"; some days he chooses to come home anyways and go about his business whle I'm having sex in my room, and some days he'll go do some shopping or whatever, to delay his arrival. In the rare events that the sex is spontaneous/ unplanned, I'll tell him about it immediately upon my return home. He has even met one of my f**kbuddies and actually likes him.

He's secure enough with himself and with me to admit that there's no way in hell he can keep up with me sexually. I have a sex drive that can only be described as "hyperdrive" and he's quite content to have it two or three times a month. Instead of having huge issues and fighting about sex like so many "monogamous" people do, I'm given the opportunity to get what I need.

IF I should develop an emotional attachment to one of my lovers, then the relationship with that person has to end. So far that hasn't happened. We have great sex, a few laughs, and consider the other to be friends, but that's as far as it goes.

I don't expect everybody to understand that this arrangement works well for my Man and i, and I certainly don't expect everybody to accept or understand the "morality"( or lack thereof) inherent in this kind of relationship.

What everybody should understand is that we communicate with each other much better than most "normal" couples, we still share an emotional bond, and we're each other'[s best friend.

Is it cheating? NO. I don't have to lie to my Man. deceive him, hide things from him, and I don't have to feel guilty or ashamed. Doing those things to him WOULD be cheating, and is something that I'd never do.
 dirtbag2
Msg: 76 (view)

Friday, October 19th! - Calgary PoF All-Stars (and newbs) Bowling and Karaoke!!!
Posted: 10/22/2007 12:03:59 AM
I had a great time... am so glad I managed to make it to this one after a couple of false starts.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at the Hallowe'en party this coming Friday... my costume's all lined up and ready to go.

Not that it's much of a stretch for me-- but I'm dressing up as a cougar!
 dirtbag2
Msg: 47 (view)

Friday, October 19th! - Calgary PoF All-Stars (and newbs) Bowling and Karaoke!!!
Posted: 10/16/2007 8:11:43 PM
should we be wearing a costume if we have one?

not that it's much of a stretch-- but I'm dressing up as a cougar this year!

and can we bring our own gear? I have shoes and ... here it comes... balls

peace out
 dirtbag2
Msg: 59 (view)

Saturday, September 22nd! Calgary PoF All-Stars (and newbs) Bowling and Karaoke!!!
Posted: 9/23/2007 8:39:02 PM
I regret that I wasn't able to attend. Two hours before it was scheduled to start I received a call from a family member, and subsequently had a family situation to attend to.

Looking forward to trying to get out to this event next month.

cheers
M
 dirtbag2
Msg: 49 (view)

Can you party hard like a 20yr old when you are over 30?
Posted: 9/14/2007 9:38:12 PM
At 43, I can still outlast my girlfriends no problem. .. and my best friend is 22!!! I never was much of a drinker, and I learned how to avoid alcohol poisoning a long time ago.

When I go to the clubs, I go there to dance... and dance I do.. all damn night. If I happen to meet somebody interesting, that's an added bonus, but not necessarily my reason for being there.

I can still pull an all-nighter and be at work ready to rock and roll the next morning. Do I do it every night? Hell no!

Have I done it lately? Hell yes! Just before the September long I pulled an all-nighter on the Thursday night, was at work at 8 am Friday, then after work loaded the van and drove myself and my son out to Brooks to go camping for the weekend.. and we stayed up until well after nidnight.

I don't party harder.. I party SMARTER.
 dirtbag2
Msg: 7 (view)

Looking for Curlers for 2007-2008 Co-ed Curling season at Garrison Club (Calgary S.W.)
Posted: 9/14/2007 9:20:31 PM
if it was on any other day-- I'd be into it. Sundays are NOT a good day for me.
 dirtbag2
Msg: 188 (view)

NW Community ball league (CALGARY)
Posted: 8/28/2007 1:30:10 AM
any chance that next year the games will be on a day other than Sunday?

Having Long Weekend games was a killer as well in terms of my availability.

take care.. and would love to hear from y'all over the winter.

Misha
 dirtbag2
Msg: 200 (view)

how old you are vs how old you look/act
Posted: 8/23/2007 12:09:37 AM
About a month ago I was at my favorite nightclub-- dressed to kill-- and was outside having a smoke when a 20-something young dude makes a bee line for me... he got about five feet away from me and then anounced very loudly " You're too old!" I just looked at him and replied: Hey, didn't I just babysit you last weekend and change your poopy diaper? And By the way, my seven year old son has a bigger****

Everybody who was within fifteen feet of me just started to howl, snicker, and snort. The young dude and his friends high-tailed it out of there really fast......

The other side of the real vs percieved age phenomenom: My Man is 50 and looks 60. I'm 42 and have been told I look anywhere from 28 to 34. When we go out together I can see folks giving us the 'evil eye' and wagging their fingers at us. I've been asked several times by people: What's a young hottie like you doing with an old fart like that?"

Ask a silly question, get a silly reply.. "I'm with him because he's hung like a bull"

dirtbag2
Msg: 15 (view)

Real life or the Internet.
Posted: 8/22/2007 11:43:24 PM
I never did and still don't view the internet as a primary means for finding a potential partner. However, it can be great place to make friends who share common interests.

That being said, I met my Man through the internet-- but not on a dating site. We spoke on the phone once in a blue moon for two years or so. It wasn't until he made the offer of a shoulder to cry on when I left my last bf that I got to know him really well. We started spending time together, and it wasn't long before I realized we had incredible chemistry. Apparently, the feeling was very mutual.

Nearly two years later, the chemistry is still there
 dirtbag2
Msg: 216 (view)

What are the side effects of using the vibrator too much???
Posted: 8/22/2007 11:27:20 PM
After a while, the toys just dont 'cut it'. .. then the need for wild crazy animal sex is very intense. At least with me.

Perhaps I overuse my toys... I' d gladly trade them in, in exchange for more sex.

Please define "too much".
 dirtbag2
Msg: 185 (view)

Posted: 8/22/2007 10:52:19 PM
I just can't believe this.... but----I'm not going to be able to make the tournament either!

Without going into a lot of detail, let's just say that my Man and I have been addressing a very serious family issue involving his daughter. Top that with the fallout from my vacation from hell and you have a recipe for a nervous breakdown.

That being said, the ONLY thing that will stop us from hopping into Bertha(our campervan) this weekend and leaving town will be a torrential rainstorm. We need the time alone together and away from the city desperately.

If by some chance there's a BBQ or some sort of gathering after the tournament, AND I'm back in time, I'll make an appearance. But playing in the tournament is definitely not gonna happen.

Assuming that I won't make it out at all-- I want to thank you all for making me feel welcome; it was GREAT to meet everybody, and I wish everybody all the best. Feel free to drop me an e-mail anytime; perhaps we can go for coffee or whatever over the winter.

Misha
 dirtbag2
Msg: 183 (view)

Posted: 8/18/2007 10:10:40 PM
sorry guys but I can't make it tomorrow. Have to work.

Good luck!!!! I'm with you in spirit.

hugz
Misha
 dirtbag2
Msg: 182 (view)

Posted: 8/13/2007 4:52:43 PM
sorry guys-- I had planned to be home on the 28th from Vancouver-- then my timing belt blew up-- at the top of the Coquihalla Highway of course ( $270 just to tow her back to Vancouver!!) and I didn't make it home until the long weekend.

There's been so much stuff going on in my life-- I wasn't able to come out yesterday, and for that I apologize. Funny how that happens when you're working THREE jobs!!!

I've got to head out of town again this weekend to attend to some urgent family matters but am planning to be home on Sunday afternoon. I'm HOPING to be able to make it out for the game-- provided I get home on time.

(the 26th-- FER SHER!! I've got some catching up on the Smirnoffs to do LOL )

hugz to all
Misha
 dirtbag2
Msg: 160 (view)

Posted: 6/12/2007 10:33:07 PM
I have some purple and white pompoms... I'll bring them next time so that Mon Cherie can entertain us with her athleticism and energy.

M
 dirtbag2
Msg: 4 (view)

NW Community Baseball League Pictures (Calgary)
Posted: 6/12/2007 10:30:37 PM
Did you see the one that one of the players wore that said " nice rack"?

guess ya had to be there.

M

Show ALL Forums