Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: firewire cable quality
 mitch97
Msg: 201 (view)

firewire cable quality
Posted: 7/20/2007 1:42:36 PM
hey all,

i'm running a digi 002 (audio interface) to my pc via firewire. would upgrading to a high quality cable like monster make a difference? i know it would for analog audio signals, but what about digital/data? would it have any bearing on the sound/recording quality?
 mitch97
Msg: 1 (view)

firewire cable quality...does it matter?
Posted: 7/20/2007 1:45:13 AM
other than the obvious durability factor, is it worth spending the money to get a good firewire cable, like a monster (brand)? this is for audio, coming from my 002 rack into my pc. i got monster cables for my monitors but was wondering if i should splurge on the firewire cable.

it doesn't seem likely that it will make a dif. since there's no actual analog signal going through (i don't think), just data.
 mitch97
Msg: 7 (view)

Mexican vs. American Fenders
Posted: 6/27/2007 11:40:11 AM

I don't see a point in having a fancy schmancy vintage guitar if it's just sitting there collecting dust....

Amen! Although I'm guilty of babying my instruments when i first get them I don't want to worry about dings cause I'd rather just JAM with them! I just think of SRV's strat and how much character it had.
 mitch97
Msg: 187 (view)

the HOME RECORDING STUDIO thread
Posted: 6/21/2007 9:12:41 PM
Hey everyone,

what are the BEST near field monitors for a project studio?

my roomate loves his Dynaudios. I've seen Genelec as standards and have heard their quality.

thanks.
 mitch97
Msg: 5 (view)

Posted: 6/19/2007 8:32:26 PM
yeah my mexican jazz bass kills it.
 mitch97
Msg: 3 (view)

Posted: 6/18/2007 5:04:13 PM
I don't believe Squiers/Asian strats are better than Mex. Jimmie Vaughn endorses a Mex right? I heard Squiers are bottom of the barrel.
 mitch97

Posted: 6/7/2007 12:22:48 PM
Are the Mex as good as American? I have a Mex Jazz bass and it sounded better than the American when I A/B'd them. I'd like a new Strat though.

Right now I have a 40th Anniversary Strat plus (American made), and I wanted to know if the fact that it's an anniversary model if it will increase in value over time.
 mitch97
Msg: 2238 (view)

The guitar player's thread
Posted: 6/2/2007 2:13:12 AM
FYI...

i just got the full-drive 2 mosfet by fulltone. omg this thing has tone for days!! the boost feature is gnarly too.

sinister...ditch the digitech and get quality stomp boxes. from what i've found those multi-fx floor thingies are garbage. there's no dedicated circuitry for each effect. and forget about true bypass. when you turn off the effects you're still running your signal thru cheap components that are eating away at your tone. slash plugs straight into a marshall!
 mitch97
Msg: 2 (view)

proftpd not working all of a sudden!
Posted: 5/31/2007 2:56:23 PM
thanks for the reply. it was the load balancer/firewall. luckily we have a fail-over so we just unplugged the first one from the network and the second one took over. then we rebooted the first, hooked it back up and everything's fine.
 mitch97

proftpd not working all of a sudden!
Posted: 5/31/2007 11:21:34 AM
i'm running debian sarge and proftp, and all of a sudden i can't ftp in. any hints? it was working fine yesterday. i ran /etc/init.d/proftpd restart and reload, stop, start, killed the process id and started again. no luck. think it has to do with the firewall? if so, how do i change the firewall settings?

thanks.
 mitch97
Msg: 2234 (view)

Posted: 5/30/2007 12:54:21 AM
hey guys,

any experience with the voodoo labs sparkle drive? i played one today and it sounded pretty sweet. they say it's like a vintage 808, but they didn't have an 808 for me to a/b it with. opinions? i like the clean blend, true bypass and boost features too. from what i understand the ts808 reissue is not true bypass right?
 mitch97
Msg: 23 (view)

Define Art
Posted: 5/24/2007 2:35:48 PM
Here's my take...

Art is simply the physical manifestation of ideas or emotions. There is also no good or bad art. You either identify with it or you don't.

How many times have you heard a song that you hated until you heard it while driving with your girlfriend or drinking with your friends, and all of a sudden you like that song? Art is pliable. Marketing is what makes unpopular art popular. It does not define what is "good" art.
 mitch97
Msg: 2220 (view)

THE GUITAR PLAYER'S THREAD
Posted: 5/24/2007 2:29:49 PM
guitarman100...

Thanks. Are there any multi-effect floor units that are worth a damn? I've heard nothing but bad, both word of mouth and my own experience.

HRWILD...sorry to hear that. Take good care of that equipment!
 mitch97
Msg: 2217 (view)

Posted: 5/24/2007 11:12:20 AM
Yo yo yo!!

Guitar player and tone freak here. I play a Gibson Lucille through a 1972 Fender Deluxe Reverb. Currently I'm looking for some great stomp boxes to compliment my setup. I want the best overdrive and delay if anybody wants to chime in. Thanks to those who already advised me in my Stomp Box thread.

I also own and abuse a Fender Strat plus with Lace Sensor pickups. Man those things are quiet.
 mitch97
Msg: 4 (view)

Stomp Boxes/FX Pedals
Posted: 5/22/2007 8:23:18 PM

use the guitar volume control , to control the drive

I heard about doing this but I haven't really tried it. I know my amp sounds great past 5 on the volume but I love the clean tone as well. I tried pretty much all the Boss pedals and the only one that's caught my ear was the Blues Driver. It actually sounds pretty close to an overdriven tube amp. I'll keep checking things out.
 mitch97

Stomp Boxes/FX Pedals
Posted: 5/22/2007 12:09:12 AM
Yo,

I am in need of some stomp boxes. I want a great distortion and delay. I'm playing a Gibson Lucille through a 1972 Fender Deluxe Reverb. While I do play blues, I'm basically a rock guy with a tone fetish. I want tones like U2, Radiohead and Interpol.

I heard the TS-808 (Tube Screamer) is nice, so is the Rat and Fulldrive. I heard all of Fulltone's stuff is good. Also heard the Memory Man is good for delay. Any advice?
 mitch97

Good System Administration
Posted: 5/18/2007 12:49:55 AM
Thanks rsx, most of what you mentioned I am in the process of learning! Do most ISP's run on Linux?
 mitch97

Good System Administration
Posted: 5/17/2007 6:07:46 PM
I work for a small webhosting company building Linux, Unix and OS X servers. What kind of skills should I be learning to be competitive in the world of system administration?

I know Debian Linux, some FreeBSD, getting familiar with OS X admin GUI's, and getting familiar with MySQL. I look online and I see a lot of Cisco routers/switches, Solaris and Perl. Do I need to be a scripting guru?
 mitch97

Upgraded to Ubuntu 7.04...maxed at 800x600 screen resolution!!!
Posted: 5/16/2007 10:49:03 PM
I figured it out. The upgrade changed my colors from 16 to 24, and that limited the resolution of my old-ass video. I switched to 16 in the config file and was able to up it to 1024.
 mitch97

Upgraded to Ubuntu 7.04...maxed at 800x600 screen resolution!!!
Posted: 5/16/2007 4:57:10 PM
WTF!! I have a SyncMaster 20" flatscreen that achieved 1280x resolution with v. 6, and after I upgraded to 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) I am limited to 800x600. I tried dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and messed with the config. If I manually allocated memory to the card I could achieve a higher resolution, but the image was all F'd up.

Any solutions?
 mitch97
Msg: 55 (view)

TO ALL LADIES W/ PICTURES
Posted: 5/15/2007 10:56:39 PM
And please stop putting up pics that you took yourself! The lighting usually sux and you can see your arm sticking straight out. Action shots people...if you have any friends they should have taken plenty!!
 mitch97

Why isn't rsync on Mac OS X working?!?
Posted: 5/15/2007 12:22:41 AM
Thanks. It was the firewall. For some reason when I rebooted it stopped working properly so I shut it off. Apple...

I'm a Linux guy as well...Debian.
 mitch97

Why isn't rsync on Mac OS X working?!?
Posted: 5/14/2007 12:24:23 PM
I'm on an Xserve running 10.3. I ran "rsync --daemon", and when I do lsof -ni:rsync I can see it running/listening, but I still get a socket timeout and it's not running the scheduled backups. How do I restart/reload rsync? It was working fine till I rebooted.

I need it to backup directories from another Xserve. What could be the problem?
 mitch97
Msg: 163 (view)

why do men only care about sex???
Posted: 5/12/2007 8:43:18 PM
OP...that's BS to say that's all men care about. I'm 27 and the last girl I dated pretty much used ME for sex lol! I was looking for something more meaningful and she wasn't. That's just the way life is. Some people want one thing and some people want another. You have to communicate.
 mitch97

Love vs. Emotional Dependence
Posted: 5/10/2007 6:07:15 PM

Be in the moment, enjoy the time you do spend together instead of wringing your hands wondering is this the "one".

This is exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks.
 mitch97

Love vs. Emotional Dependence
Posted: 5/10/2007 4:47:46 PM
I think I've figured out my biggest problem in relationships, and that's emotional dependence (or codependence, attachment, whatever). This of course leads to jealousy, miscommunication, and all kinds of crap.

What are some ways of overcoming this? How do you know the difference between missing someone and relying on them for your happiness? What are some ways you can show someone you're into them without making them feel like you depend on them for validation?
 mitch97

When a girl wants to get it on really soon, does that mean she's not interested in long term?
Posted: 5/2/2007 11:10:42 PM

I could be your personal fortune teller.

Only if you have a crystal ball.
 mitch97

When a girl wants to get it on really soon, does that mean she's not interested in long term?
Posted: 5/2/2007 10:17:22 PM

I don't know why I always find your posts Mitch. They just speak to me.

Oh K-Lo hahaha...I think you find my posts cause girls like you like to tear up guys like me . It's great that you're up front though. I wish all girls were.

Just like any of my questions, I get 290348723 different answers.
 mitch97

Posted: 5/2/2007 9:47:46 PM
Here's a question I've been struggling with:

If a girl wants to consummate early on, like after a few dates or less, is that a sign that she's not interested in anything long term? Most of the girls I date get on me pretty quickly (not tooting my own horn here...). What does that say about her and what she wants?
 mitch97

Whats the deal with Sex too early?
Posted: 5/2/2007 9:42:34 PM
It depends on what your goals are I think. If you're really seeking a relationship I like to wait, but I'm usually the one who does it, not the girl! My first big relationship of two years (moved in with her after 6 months) was consummated after 2 weeks. Again, it was my decision to hold off. I like to think it's the girl's job to do so but when I like a girl I want it to last. It seems like now-a-days girls wanna get busy pretty quick. At least with me haha!

I'm flattered that they do but then I always get the feeling they're whores. Maybe I'm attracted to the wrong girls...?
 mitch97
Msg: 6 (view)

What did I do that made things turn out like they did?
Posted: 5/1/2007 10:04:33 PM
I gotta chime in here cause I just went through almost the exact same thing. I dated this chick for about 2 months, slept with her twice, and she was pretty adamant about not getting serious. However, I was looking for a girlfriend. Well, after the second time we did it she got cold and distant and I flipped out. I accused her of using me and she said I was "cool to hang out with but it got too serious."

I didn't want to just date around, and I didn't want her seeing other people, but that wasn't my call. It SUX when you're not on the same page with someone about that, and you just have to suck it up I guess. I say don't burn your bridges. You never know what will happen. Right now I wouldn't mind if I just kept that girl around to sleep with every now and then
 mitch97
Msg: 14 (view)

What is an exceptable level of emotion from a guy?
Posted: 4/27/2007 6:45:36 PM

we are talking about the L word right?

What, lesbian? Ha...I know I know...

Well, not specifically love, but general displays of emotion. Some people say you can't show your cards. People like you say show them. I like to show them, but there's timing involved. The biggest question I have is if she didn't want to hear anything specifically from me, or didn't want to hear anything in general. She did a lot of little nice things that seemed to indicate that she liked me, like email me everyday, but I can't tell what she was about. I could hardly ever get her to meet, and I think that if you like someone you'll find time to meet. There wasn't much effort there, I felt.

And...she had to drink in order to get physical with me.
 mitch97
Msg: 12 (view)

Posted: 4/27/2007 5:05:48 PM

If you feel it say it...I have held feelings in before (good and bad) and its not a good feeling...if she runs well then find someone who can accept it.

Do you agree with K-Lo though that too much too soon is bad? I can't help but agree with her, but everyone's definition of "too soon" is different. For me, I don't feel deeply for someone very often, but when I do, I do. She obviously wasn't into feeling anything close to what I was feeling, so that made it hard from the start.
 mitch97
Msg: 11 (view)

Posted: 4/27/2007 4:55:15 PM

That was YOU!

Yes it was. Unfortunately I was able to contain myself anywhere but the bedroom.
 mitch97
Msg: 9 (view)

Posted: 4/27/2007 4:15:21 PM
Yeah, that makes total sense. Several times I wanted to break it off cause I had a gut feeling, but stopped myself cause I tried to rationalize. I should always listen to myself cause my gut feeling is always right. I think I knew what was going on but wanted it to last cause maybe down the line I thought something might work out. Or, I could bottle up my emotions and just go with it.

In the end it couldn't continue for me because I just didn't know how to handle it. Bravo to those who can do what you did with that guy and not get attached. I got attached and it's still hard to deal with. Another problem of mine was making her into something she wasn't. I mean, as lame as it sounds I thought she might be marriage material down the line! How naive.
 mitch97
Msg: 22 (view)

Making Time for A Relationship
Posted: 4/27/2007 3:50:29 PM
God this is exactly what I was just going through and I had to end it. Her excuse was always "busy busy busy" but with hardly any attempts to actually schedule something. Her motto was "let's take it day by day and see what happens." I've learned now that that means they are going to string you along for as long as you let them so they have someone there. Don't let them do it.
 mitch97
Msg: 8 (view)

Posted: 4/27/2007 3:10:34 PM

Sometimes people really aren't ready for a relationship - - circumstances in life, mental instability, too soon after a relationship

But...that sounds like her case as well...especially the circumstances in life and mental instability!

When I originally approached her, telling her that I'm not going to run after her to hang out, she said that her life is crazy, she's really busy, and she's about to look for a new job. All of those are valid excuses I suppose, especially since she might move to another city. One of the things she said to me right before I called it off was "you're cool to hang out with and everything, but it just got too serious... and i don't think i am ready for serious." She just cooled off SO quick after we slept together the second time.

I don't know how to take it..."cool to hang out with and everything"? I guess in the end it doesn't really matter, cause I called it off anyway, but I'd like to know the signs to look for in the future.
 mitch97
Msg: 7 (view)

Posted: 4/27/2007 1:10:41 PM
K-Lo, I totally see your point, and this was obviously a case of mismatched positions. Whenever the subject of being together was brought up, she adamantly said she wasn't ready for anything serious. So I really held back, even to an uncomfortable level. I only mentioned things that were going on, asking her if she had plans for the weekend, you know, not being demanding or anything. 99% of the time she'd be busy with stuff and didn't make an effort to site her availability other than 2 or 3 times.

I wanna know if when a girl says she's not ready for anything serious, and given the above circumstances, is that just her way of saying she's not really into me, but I provide some sort of amusement? I mean, I really felt used toward the end.
 mitch97
Msg: 6 (view)

Posted: 4/27/2007 12:15:13 PM
Rad...some different viewpoints! Well, I try not to follow that astrology stuff but both K-Lo and the girl I was dating are both Leos. Maybe that explains something

Maybe I do fit the pisces profile. I pretty much go on my feelings at all times. Perhaps I did some things that were wrong but I think she just wasn't the girl for me. She has the emotions of a gallon of milk: cold...colorless...but tastes great with some chocolate syrup
 mitch97

Posted: 4/27/2007 11:18:22 AM
Yeah I wouldn't call up anyone of my date's friends to talk about them behind their back. That's wrong. I agree that showing instead of telling is the best way to do things. For example, with the girl I just finished seeing, on like the 5th date I bought her a plastic egg with chocolates in it since I knew she loves chocolate - simple, not overdone. Before I gave it to her I said "I bought you something that I probably shouldn't have, but I'll give it to you anyway." Well, I think she liked it. And that was the first night we had sex.

Now that I think about it I feel like I was pretty reserved with the emotions (other than during sex), but she did know that I was looking for something serious. Of course now I realize that I'm in no position to be in a relationship. I just didn't know how to do casual when I had feelings for someone. Doesn't happen often but when it does it's tough to control.
 mitch97

What's the best way or place to meet relationship material people?
Posted: 4/26/2007 10:57:52 AM
I see a commonality here, and I think I may do something like the church thing...except I'm not Christian haha! I follow Eastern religions, especially Buddhism, so maybe I'll go to a temple for once. Thank you all.

Now if I go I'll have to try real hard not to seem like I'm looking for someone...
 mitch97

Posted: 4/26/2007 10:48:45 AM

I'm lost OP. You broke it off b/c she wasn't who you wanted...It really doesn't sound to me that you said anything too off the wall...

I broke it off cause she was just stringing me along, keeping me there for when it was convenient for her to get together. She wasn't nearly as into me as I was into her, and she had a lot of issues including the need to drink before getting close to me. I just couldn't hang around and be someone's booty call. I felt used.

I did however make matters worse by telling her too much at the wrong time. I wanted a relationship with her and she didn't want one with me. However, instead of telling me flat out it would never pan out she just kept me on the line.
 mitch97

Posted: 4/26/2007 4:33:44 AM
Yep. I was too emotional too fast. I see it now.
 mitch97

Posted: 4/25/2007 10:27:10 PM
Once again I can count on K-Lo for a thorough explanation

Well, after talking to a buddy it seems like I might have given away the farm, but not totally. I mean, I didn't say "oh I like you so much" or something lame like that but I did say some pretty nice things during sex like "I think about you at work" and "I think you're beautiful." Maybe that's what did it. Not like she was emotional about anything to begin with but that might have been minus points. I think that it came out in many ways that I was looking for something serious and she wasn't. So, I broke it off.

I prefer a man who is honest about his thoughts and emotions at all times.

Really? Even when you first start dating someone? Isn't there a game you gotta play when you first start with someone?
 mitch97

Posted: 4/25/2007 8:20:55 PM
I just read a post dealing with guys who show how they feel about a girl, and that being a bad thing. From a girl's/woman's perspective, what's an acceptable level?

Although my last little fling was riddled with issues, I believe something I could've done better was control my emotions and not let her onto how I was feeling. I think for an instant I had things under control and then I screwed up by divulging too much. I think that kind of pushed her away.
 mitch97
Msg: 33 (view)

Do men get 'crazy in love'
Posted: 4/25/2007 8:05:36 PM
I think I was just crazy in love even if it was temporary infatuation. I'll say this: as soon as I started telling her how I felt things went south. It's F-ing hard to control your emotions when they're that intense, but I guess you have to if you're gonna "play the game." I couldn't do it, and I had to end it with the girl cause she got all cold on me. I know it wasn't going anywhere and I couldn't get my heart broken.

I feel shitty after doing it but that's life. Eventually she would've done it to me.
 mitch97

What's the best way or place to meet relationship material people?
Posted: 4/25/2007 2:59:48 PM
Ok some of you will be relieved that I finally broke it off with this girl who was basically jerking me around cause she "didn't want anything serious." Yes, I've been there too, but right now I want something that will last past two F sessions.

What have you all found to be the best way/place/whatever to meet quality people that might actually work out? I know most people say through friends, but that's how I met this girl and obviously that didn't go anywhere.
 mitch97
Msg: 14 (view)

Why would a girl need to drink before sex?
Posted: 4/25/2007 11:04:02 AM
Guess what everybody!! I broke it off with her. That's it, done. She didn't even have any qualms about it either. Am I sad about it? Sure. That's life. Time to move on. To everyone who said "she's just not into you" was right. Thanks for all the replies.
 mitch97
Msg: 12 (view)

Posted: 4/25/2007 12:13:20 AM
K-lo, thanks for all your hard but realistic replies

You're right. This girl IS in "whatever happens happens" mode. That's practically what she said verbatim a couple weeks ago. Yes, it's driving me insane cause I'm looking for a nice girl to have a relationship with. It's obviously not happening here. So...I can do two things:

1. Don't cut it off, let her call me when she's buzzed and wants to get laid, and look for someone else or,

2. Cut her off.

I guess I'm the only one who can truly answer that but I'm open to suggestions. What is bothering me lately is not that she drinks to F, but that now she's really distant after we last had sex. And this time it was better than the first!! Usually she contacts me constantly about random crap and that has stopped abruptly so something's up. I don't know what to make of it except that I'm being used.
 mitch97
Msg: 10 (view)

Posted: 4/24/2007 2:01:53 PM
Dude, this is the "Ask A Girl" forum. While the women here are offering valid opinions you gotta chime in with your BS. This has nothing to do with my "equipment."

Show ALL Forums