Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Start snitching, crime-hit communities urge
 GREENEYESANDHAM
Msg: 7 (view)

Start snitching, crime-hit communities urge
Posted: 1/25/2008 7:54:56 PM
Random Entry: How does that make it cut and dried? You gonna snitch on some one for a joint? How about two? How about a bag?
It's clearly cut and dried; either you want law-abiding people with power, or you want lawbreakers with power. Either you foster a society where the lawful are strong, or you foster a 'society' where the lawless are strong. If the latter, then continue to use words like "snitch", "rat", etc. Make being lawful a negative. Order vs anarchy. Which crimes I report are irrelevant to the argument.

The real fact of the matter is the people who snitch are already dirty enough themselves and they're selling some one out so they don't get in trouble themselves.
This is so misdirected and paranoid that it's laughable. Good one - lawbreakers wanting more police in their own neighbourhood*. Also, lawbreakers risking getting others ticked off so that they themselves get reported in return. Not a good medium- or long-term strategy.

Is that person as bad a murderer and deserves being snitched on if they mind their own business aside from that?
No, and I'm not worried about someone smoking marijuana. However, one level up it's not about enjoying a joint, it's about territory and profit and it starts to get violent. This violence makes society more dangerous for the innocent law-abiding citizens. Anyone who ignores this is naive.

Why else would a guy like snoop get behind that if what I just said wasn't true?
Mr S Dogg et al are stroking the bad-boy, rebel, criminal element to get popular; of course they'd be supporting "Don't Snitch". The more power that his criminal core fans have, the more power he has.

GE&H
* In war, this is known as calling an airstrike on your own position. Kind of a 'last resort' thing. Danger close.
 GREENEYESANDHAM
Msg: 6 (view)

Start snitching,’ crime-hit communities urge
Posted: 1/24/2008 8:15:05 AM
Pretty cut and dried - do you want the good people or the bad people to have the power? No-one has yet been able to snitch on me when I haven't done anything wrong.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -- Edmund Burke

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM
Msg: 10 (view)

Eminem to be new Weight Watchers spokesman
Posted: 1/22/2008 7:03:45 PM
Batchick: Not at all. Diets do not work. Period.

You will see that most diets are designed for the short term, but the companies that offer the weight loss are in the business to make money. Therefore, you will continue to come back to them when you gain the weight back. The body is not designed to suffer through starvation times and not rebound and store fat during times when we are in 'glut'.

The husky chick does have some good points - most diets are short term and all that. There are changes in diet and routine that work though; where knowledge, reason, and balance are taught along with the short-term technique. Also, it doesn't hurt to know the psychological reasons why one overeats.

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM
Msg: 4 (view)

Emminem was gonna be the new Weight Watchers promotions guy/spokesman.
Posted: 1/21/2008 12:20:02 PM

Lovely.

Yet another spokesperson who will lose the weight, go back to his regular eating habits and then gain it all back and then some.

These weight loss programs are designed to fail so that you continue to come back, fork over your money and try again.

^^BG^^

Who's a grumpus today?

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM
Msg: 45 (view)

Top ten seemingly unbreakbale records
Posted: 1/19/2008 9:51:44 PM
re: driver vs car
You're both right, in a way. Why?
• Any driver will immediately look better in a great car.
• Any driver will immediately look worse in a bad car.

There's the key...immediately. Short term. Make sure that you're arguing the same thing. Here's why Michael Schumacher, among others, is great:

• It's not just the race day, it's the huge amount of testing and improving hours that great drivers put in. A great driver can communicate better info back to the engineers, which results in a better car, which results in better finishes.
• Before Schumacher joined them in 1996, Ferrari had last won the Drivers' Championship in 1979.
• Great drivers attract great people. Great people get great results.

Here what a couple of pretty fair drivers have said about Schumacher:

• Three-time World Champion Jackie Stewart believes the transformation of the Ferrari team was Schumacher's greatest feat.
• "It was not a race. It was a demonstration of brilliance." -- Stirling Moss about Schumacher at the 1996 Spanish GP

That being said, I stick with my Boston Celtics post from earlier as being the unbreakable record.

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM
Msg: 9 (view)

A simple, old-time solution to catch Bin Laden
Posted: 1/17/2008 10:57:20 PM

outdoor2: Who said anything about a conspiracy?
You.

Who totally missed the humour point - even after I clearly explained it? You.

Who is in the wrong forum? You.

Who's stupid for not just ignoring this? Me.

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM

Posted: 1/15/2008 9:47:34 PM
Humour* Lesson 1: Getting the point

Well, only gtomustang and cuddleupnow got the humour*. Possibly Badger Bill too. And that's *after* some mod deleted all the replies the first time and moved it into the Humor section. The humour* is about the juxtaposition of older people's stereotypical grouchiness and perceived diminished physical abilities - and that being more effective at finding an enemy than the sending of the very effective, non-grouchy, young, aggressive, fit, well-trained soldiers. Similarly with cuddleupnow's comments about PMSing and menopausal women, and gtomustang's comment about sending Ann Coulter. See?

Any lathering comments about Blackwater, Democrats, Republicans, conspiracies, etc are so far from the point that they're hilarious - just not in the way that you intended.

Humour* Lesson 2: Ironic humour that's not mean-spirited

gtomustang: Just don't let the old farts drive tanks...sheesh. Talk about not seeing over the steering wheel...

Original post: Instead of sending 18-year-olds off to fight, they ought to take us old guys. You shouldn't be able to join a military unit until you're at least 35.

gtomustang... 37 year old Man

GE&H
* "Humor" for those of American persuasion.
 GREENEYESANDHAM
Msg: 8 (view)

A little physics riddle for the masses.
Posted: 1/11/2008 6:11:27 PM

Take account only what has been presented to you.
Okay, then I won't be petty and try to account for the slight impression made by the first (lighter) sphere in the planet's surface, thus increasing the distance (and therefore time) for the heavier sphere.

You hold the lighter ball up a fixed distance...

Still, the blood in the arm/hand must be accounted for. Hyper-critical, in my books.

Also, I choose to measure the distance travelled using a laser from above. This push from the light is proportionally greater on the lighter sphere.

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM
Msg: 1 (view)

Posted: 1/11/2008 5:55:46 PM
A solution I heard that may actually have merit:

The military has got the whole thing backwards. Instead of sending 18-year-olds off to fight, they ought to take us old guys. You shouldn't be able to join a military unit until you're at least 35. For starters:

• Researchers say 18-year-olds think about sex every 10 seconds. Old guys only think about sex a couple of times a day, leaving us more than 28,000 additional seconds per day to concentrate on the enemy.

• Young guys haven't lived long enough to be cranky, and a cranky soldier is a dangerous soldier. "My back hurts! I can't sleep, I'm tired and hungry!" We are impatient and maybe letting us kill some ***hole that desperately deserves it will make us feel better and shut us up for a while.

• An 18-year-old doesn't even like to get up before 10 a.m. Old guys always get up early to pee so what the hell. Besides, like I said, "I'm tired and can't sleep and since I'm already up, I may as well be up killing some fanatical son-of-a-****.

• If captured we couldn't spill the beans because we'd forget where we put them. In fact, name, rank, and serial number would be a real brainteaser.

• Boot camp would be easier for old guys. We're used to getting screamed and yelled at and we like soft food.

• We've also developed an appreciation for guns. We've been using them for years as an excuse to get out of the house, away from the screaming and yelling.

• They could lighten up on the obstacle course however. I've been in combat and didn't see a single 20-foot wall with rope hanging over the side, nor did I ever do any pushups after completing basic training. I can hear the Drill Sgt. now, "Get down and give me ... er ... one."

• Actually, the running part is kind of a waste of energy, too. I've never seen anyone outrun a bullet.

• An 18-year-old has the whole world ahead of him. He's still learning to shave, to start up a conversation with a pretty girl. He still hasn't figured out that a baseball cap has a brim to shade his eyes, not the back of his head. These are all great reasons to keep our kids at home to learn a little more about life before sending them off into harm's way. Let us old guys track down those dirty rotten cowards who attacked us on September 11. The last thing an enemy would want to see right now is a couple of million pissed off old farts with attitudes and automatic weapons who know that their best years are already behind them.

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM

A little physics riddle for the masses.
Posted: 1/11/2008 5:42:40 PM

You are an astronaut standing on a planet...Which ball (if any) takes less time to strike the planet's surface?
Well, if one is going to be nitpicky...there's not enough information...

• Is the planet solid and spinning fast enough to counteract gravity? If so, there's a null result.

• Is there another gravitational body nearby (ie. 'above') that makes that '5 foot' spot a neutral/negative gravitational area? Again, null result.

• Where's the other sphere kept when the main sphere is being dropped? If they're both in the hand, then the heavier sphere will provide more gravitational braking from above than the lighter sphere would.

• One must have to account for the obvious fact that the heavier sphere would take more effort to hold, thus more blood would be pumped to the arm/hand above the ball. This extra blood has mass, would be above the sphere, and thus would tend to slow the heavier ball down gravitationally.

• Are the spheres each of uniform density? If all the mass was at one side, like a Harlem Globetrotters trick basketball, then the '5 foot' distance has to be changed to accommodate the change in centre of mass - depending upon the orientation of each ball. One could make either ball fall more quickly, just by orienting them differently. Greater distance equals less gravitational pull equals slower fall time. You don't mention the radii of the spheres, so this could make an appreciative distance with a "perfectly accurate" clock.

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM

The real story on the USA's treatment of Cuba.
Posted: 1/9/2008 2:28:06 PM
can_handle: There da&m sure better be a law against a enemy of every citizen of the U.S.
You're right, there should be. However, Cuba isn't one of these countries - they actually like Americans and American stuff. Anything visibly American is highly sought after.

They don't cover up the fact that their old cars are American, in fact they play it up. I saw an old (1958?) 3-ton truck down there, it was well maintained and dark blue. The driver/owner had painted the "GMC" grill a bright white - it stood out, they were proud of it.

I met a guy going to university down there, he had on a "Miami Herald" t-shirt. He was proud of it.

I went to the monument of the Battle of San Juan Hill in Santiago de Cuba. There it was, plain as day: "Cuban and American forces combined to repel Spanish forces..." No-one had vandalized the word "American". They were proud of the fact that they and the Americans were victors.

In the Marina Hemingway in Havana, there were American boats in dock. They were flying American Flags. They didn't have to fly the Cuban Flag above it or anything. There were no protestors. The Cubans were proud of the fact that they were a safe and enjoyable place to visit.

I met two American girls driving across Cuba. They were alone. They had rented a car and weren't having any problems whatsoever. The Cubans liked them. They were proud that someone would come to see their country for themselves instead of just reading the propaganda. Kind of ironic, eh?

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM
Msg: 5 (view)

Obama's Church Doctrine
Posted: 1/9/2008 1:30:51 PM
Can someone tell me what’s going on?
Sure, this is just a typical smear attempt - to misrepresent someone's beliefs or associations, and to vote (or not vote) for someone based upon irrelevant behaviour. Or behaviour that's morally stronger, yet smeared as being lacking. It's also typical of how thinly-veiled racism works. For one, here's the reason why Obama stopped wearing an American flag lapel pin:

"My attitude is that I’m less concerned about what you’re wearing on your lapel than what’s in your heart. "You show your patriotism by how you treat your fellow Americans, especially those who serve. You show your patriotism by being true to our values and ideals. That’s what we have to lead with is our values and our ideals."
• http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21138728/

GWB wears an American flag lapel pin, and he's blown a couple trillion dollars on an unnecessary war and has barely tried to capture the person responsible for the biggest terrorist attack in the USA's history. Does he look like a patriot or act like one?
• http://illinoisdemnet.com/files/u2/bush_flag_lapel_pin_a1.jpg

Here's a list of KKK stuff that you can buy. Check out 'J', it has an American Flag on it. Are you sure that you want this to be your proof of patriotism?
• http://www.kkklan.com/restrikes2.htm

If you read further onto that church's website, you'll find clarification of the points that were misrepresented in that article, like this:

"To have a church whose theological perspective starts from the vantage point of Black liberation theology being its center, is not to say that African or African American people are superior to any one else."
• http://www.tucc.org/talking_points.htm

Nowhere is AMERICA even mentioned.
By this logic, that Pope and Roman Catholic Church aren't committed to America.

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM
Msg: 37 (view)

Favourite Movie Mistakes
Posted: 1/5/2008 3:30:51 PM
seven15: In the 1968 movie "Bullet" during the now famous chase scene, the Dodge Charger has 5 wheel covers flying off.
In the video game "Driver", you continually lose hubcaps like that. Not surprisingly, as they based it on those old chase movies.

• In the 1954 movie "Saskatchewan", every scene in central Saskatchewan had a backdrop of mountains; kind of like in "True Grit", where western Oklahoma had all those mountains. The nearest ones like that are in western Alberta, 400-500 miles away. Apparently they wanted an "Indiany" name, so they chose Saskatchewan*.

• In "Tombstone", where they are outside in the rain, the rain clearly stops 20 feet past them. It's so obvious that it's a rainmaking machine. I love that movie, and have seen it almost 10 times, but I have to look away when that scene comes on. I can't believe that they didn't digitally fix it for the DVD.

For more movie mistakes, go to:

• http://www.moviemistakes.com/
or
• http://www.imdb.com/ and choose "goofs" when you pull up a movie.

GE&H

* Impress your friends**: it's pronounced Suh-SCATCH-awun, not SASK-atch-awun
** You have weird friends.
 GREENEYESANDHAM
Msg: 2 (view)

Overcoats
Posted: 1/2/2008 7:18:31 PM
If it's 17F and you want to look Canadian*...wear a t-shirt.

GE&H
* Except Vancouverites, who would be wearing a high-collared fleece and be holding an absurdly expensive fair-trade coffee while sneering at anyone in an SUV.
 GREENEYESANDHAM
Msg: 30 (view)

Top ten seemingly unbreakable records
Posted: 12/31/2007 1:44:55 AM
You may think that, but you'd be wrong. Anyway, back on topic...

Of all the records listed in this thread, I'd now say that the Boston Celtics record for consecutive titles is the most unattainable. There's just too much free agency and trading nowadays. I knew they won a lot, back in the day, but I had no idea it was so much. I guess Bird, McHale, and Parish weren't the first great Celtics after all. Live and learn.

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM
Msg: 13 (view)

For the Love of English...
Posted: 12/31/2007 1:20:07 AM
I'm not a fan of some of the new words, but it's just natural - English is a living language. Where it's important, it'll still be important. There's an interesting side-note-counter to the demise of English. It's the backlash to the use of flowery language to sound smart. Maybe I should have said "...the preponderance of grandiloquent, yet erroneous, English language word-phrases to facilitate one's appearing to be of disproportionately greater intellect." Some examples:

I...endeavor to be as fluent as possible.
Is "endeavor" clearer than "try"? Then don't use it unless you're a huge fan of irony.

I understand that there is a general consensus amongst...
"I understand" weakens your statement.
"General consensus" is redundant.
"Amongst" is just a pretentious* version of "among".

I'm not perfect and I do not have all of the rules memorized but I really do try to be as correct as possible.
Using "do not" in place of "don't" ruins the cadence of the sentence.
Delete "really do".
Use "correct" in place of "as correct as possible". Or use "proper".

You have just pushed one of my "buttons" with this observation.
We assume that you don't actually have buttons; don't use the quotation marks.

I believe that it's the manifestation of the no-fault, victim society that has resulted from social engineering and political correctness gone amuck.
How about: "It's because of the no-fault, victim society..."?
FYI, it's "run amok" or "run amuck".
• http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/run-amok.html

What ever happened to striving for betterment by raising the bar of expectations?
It would've been clearer to say: "What happened to striving for improvement?"
Bonus: Good people may actually sit next to you on the bus.

It's our ability to communicate so as to express beauty, emotion...
You probably meant: "It's our ability to communicate beauty, emotion..."

I fear that this will be lost over the passage of time.
Sigh. Just say: "I fear that this will be lost over time."

Misc:
...I'm a product the previous generation and will never be able to understand, nor acknlowledge this trend.
Read your rant; you've certainly acknowledged it as a trend.

Like most things, there's a memorable spat on all this:

Faulkner: [Hemingway] has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary.

Hemingway: Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?

...and they were friends.

You're welcome (in advance),
GE&H
* Umm, super-fancy. Or '50 cent' (not the rapper).
 GREENEYESANDHAM
Msg: 29 (view)

Posted: 12/30/2007 11:43:46 PM
pyp - ftr: OH MY GOD... PLEASE, PLEASE tell me you are joking???
...I was talking about a squat. You DO know what that is, right???
No, I seriously think that a 76 year old man who misleads people for fun and personal profit really holds the world leg-press record*.

GE&H
* Sarcasm. You DO know what that is, right???**
** Sorry, that was petty - I'll try harder in 2008.
 GREENEYESANDHAM
Msg: 27 (view)

Posted: 12/30/2007 11:04:03 AM

pyp - ftr: Andrew Bolton of England 1,213 pound squat and 1,003 pound deadlift... Ryan Kennelly 1,050 pound bench press
I think that we can safely say that Bolton's record has been smashed by Pat Robertson's 2000 pound leg press. I believe that this record is unattainable unless Roberston himself breaks it.

• http://www.cbn.com/communitypublic/shake.aspx

Here's what The Onion had to say on unbreakable records:

Ty Cobb's .366 career batting average: Cobb's amazing feat was accomplished mostly through sheer racism; racism abolished from baseball in 1947

Cy Young's 511 wins: This record holds the all-time record for being on the most "unbreakable records" lists

Wilt Chamberlain's 100-point game: Will never be broken because today's NBA stars are team-oriented players who are not interested in selfishly accumulating individual accomplishments

Mickey Mantle's 600-foot homerun: No steroid can match the strength of whiskey

Carl Lewis' gold medal in 1984 Olympics 100-meter dash: Olympic officials confirm this event has been over for more than 20 years

Amateur golfer Jack Gosch's two holes-in-one on two consecutive shots: Though Tiger Woods has come close, no one has ever gotten two holes-in-one on a single shot

Richard Petty's 200 career racing wins: No driver has come close to Petty's record since NASCAR implemented "rules" in 1995

Johnny Unitas' 47 consecutive games with a touchdown pass: Secret to passing accuracy contained in flattop haircut; today's players unwilling to make that ultimate sacrifice

Cal Ripken Jr.'s 2,632 consecutive games played: No other player will ever have the desire to show up to the ballpark that often

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM

Shock: Sing-a-Long DVD Has Young Girl Glorifying Suicide Bombers
Posted: 12/21/2007 4:57:48 PM
You need to let go of that hate, not all muslims are extremeists, just a small percent.

Very true. If not, no-one is going to come out unscathed - for one, the KKK claim to be Christian. Also, people are wondering if hatred is still being openly taught to youngsters and tolerated in North America today. For them, look to Prussian Blue, the two little girls who sing pro-Nazi songs -- named after a compound tied in with those who deny the Holocaust.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prussian_Blue_(American_duo)
• http://www.holocaust-history.org/auschwitz/chemistry/iffr/

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM

Japanese blood-type theory of personality
Posted: 12/20/2007 10:23:03 AM
Hmmm, let's see if any scienciness can be made of the results so far:

AwP was torn between AB and A, and is actually B. Okay, simply reduce the equation, which eliminates the A's and leaves B. Perfect...1 for 1 so far.

BadgerBill: There no 5 all of the above. damm
Has 3 O's, 2 A's, no B's, and no AB combo's. B is a common blood type in Asia, and he's not asian, so this is correct. 2 for 2.

scorpiomover: Chose AB, actually O. Well, O's are the 'universal donors', so this clearly means that you're going to donate blood and save the life of a poor wretched AB person. Keep you eyes open for one today. 3 for 3.

TedJMill: Chose AB and A, actually O. Either going to donate blood and save the sorry life of a B (like in AwP's example) or maybe both an AB and a A. 4 for 4.

pelirroja85: Chose A, actually A. Hmm, this is a toughy. After simplifying the equation and reducing the A's, there's nothing left -- null personality traits. Not a lack of personality, just rudderless directionless personality. Sociopathic or altruistic paths may be in your near future. I'm going to count this a miss though; 4 for 5.

(no mention of what positive/negative has on traits)

Topgear1: You have to be Japanese, silly!
Has 2 O's and 3 A's. So does "food banana". He's just hungry and could use some potassium. I'm going to count this; 5 for 6.

CryoGuy: "Is that an alien I see in the distance? No really? Why dont you believe me?
Interesting - first sentence had A's only - second sentence had an O and an A - third sentence had only O's. Obviously started off life as an A; then was half A/half O; now is fully O. Even the scientific journals can't explain it. I can. Obviously, he was so intent upon changing from "Earnest, creative, sensible" (which is kind of cold, hence CryoGuy) to a warmer "Agreeable, sociable, an optimist" - that he changed his blood type from A to O through sheer force of will. 6 for 7.

Even with this strong evidence for JBYYP being completely true and scientific, I'm going to withhold judgement for now - there may be other ways to interpret the data.

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM

Japanese blood-type theory of personality
Posted: 12/18/2007 6:35:40 PM
It's Christmas - time for some lighter-hearted fare.

Apparently, in Japan, asking your blood-type is like asking for your horoscope sign - it's supposed enable people to be able to tell things about you. It's on the same level of scientificity* as horoscopes. You can draw from that what you want.

Okay, choose the personality traits that most accurately describe you from the following four groups. After you have chosen, then look below for the answer. I'll write the answer in a cheap code so you can't just quickly glance and ruin the test for yourself like you always do. Okay, you may turn your papers over now.

1) Best Traits: Cool, controlled, rational.
Worst Traits: Critical, indecisive.

2) Best Traits: Wild, a doer, cheerful.
Worst Traits: Selfish, irresponsible.

3) Best Traits: Agreeable, sociable, an optimist.
Worst Traits: Vain, careless.

4) Best Traits: Earnest, creative, sensible.
Worst Traits: Fastidious, overearnest.

STOP --- HAVE YOU FINISHED THE TEST?

Okay, here's what the answers are:

Ignore these filler words Q and letters to help stop DE you cheating, answer one is for blood type AB, answer two is for blood type B, answer three is for blood type O, answer four is for blood type A, here are more filler words LM at the end here P, supercool code, eh?

For the record, I chose option one - but I can't remember my blood-type. Yeah yeah, I know - everyone should know. I think I'm an A. It's definitely not AB anyway, which is the option I chose. Answer four (type A) would've been my second choice though.

Accurate? More/less accurate than your horoscope? How about your phrenology?**

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_blood_type_theory_of_personality
• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrenology

GE&H
* If it isn't a word, it should be. Anyway, my point is that it kicks the ass of "scientific-ness".
** The study of the shape (and lumps) of your head.
 GREENEYESANDHAM

Boy 12 save his sister from moose attack with help from World of Warcraft skills
Posted: 12/14/2007 11:09:20 PM
I guess X-Files was ahead of its time:

Jose Chung: "Aren't you nervous telling me all this after receiving all those death threats."
Blaine Faulkner: "Well, hey, I didn't spend all those years playing Dungeons and Dragons and not learn a little something about courage."

...which is the episode that also had:

Jose Chung: "Alex Trebek? The game show host?"
Scully: "Mulder didn't say that it was Alex Trebek. It was just someone that looked incredibly like him."

• http://redwolf.com.au/xfiles/season03/3x20.html

GE&H
 greeneyesandham
Msg: 16 (view)

Why does ice float?
Posted: 12/12/2007 3:51:18 PM

I understand they expand, but do they become less dense?
There's no choice - the same mass divided by an increased volume is, by definition, less dense.

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM

Humans Evolving More Rapidly Than Ever, Say Scientists
Posted: 12/12/2007 10:32:55 AM
By Brandon Keim December 10, 2007 | 5:02:59 PMCategories: Evolution

Look out, future, because here we come: scientists say the speed of human evolution increased rapidly during the last 40,000 years -- and it's only going to get faster.

The findings, published today by a team of U.S. anthropologists in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, overturn the theory that modern life's relative ease has slowed or even stopped human adaptation. Selective pressures are still at work; they just happen to be different than those faced by our distant ancestors.

"We're more different from people 5,000 years ago than they were from Neanderthals," said study co-author and University of Utah anthropologist Henry Harpending.

In the study, researchers analzyed genomes from 270 people belonging to four disparate ethnic groups: Han Chinese, Africa's Yoruba tribe, Japanese and Utah Mormons. By comparing areas of difference and similarity, they determined that about seven percent of the genome has undergone significant change since the end of the last Ice Age.

If human beings had always evolved at such a rapid clip, said the researchers, genetic differences between people and chimpanzees would be 160 times greater than they are.

Driving the changes are environmental fluctuations and population growth. As the number of people swells, so do the number of mutations generated by random chance. Further selecting for disparate genetic inheritances are the diverse terrains, climates and social structures inhabited since the glaciers retreated.

The findings contradict the hypothesis that evolution must be slowing down because people who once would have died are sustained by modern medicine and social safety nets. They also suggest that genetic differences between different ethnic groups can be significant.

"The actual genes that are sweeping have not been thoroughly identified in all cases, but we can see interesting patterns," said Harpending. "There are something like 6 genes, all broken African genes, responsible for European light skin, blue eyes, blonde hair, etc. They are evolving fast in Europe. Meanwhile, other genes responsible for light skin are sweeping in Asia, and they are different from those in Europe."

Asked about James Watson's controversial claims that intelligence evolved less effectively in people of African descent, Harpending said the study wasn't designed to test such characteristics. He also cautioned against interpreting the findings as suggesting that people are becoming fundamentally better.

"Some of the mutations let us do better. We can eat simple carbohydrates, which hunter-gatherers never did. But we may also be accumulating damaging stuff," said Harpending.

He wondered whether social changes might not cultivate unfortunate tendencies.

"Evolution is a double-edged sword," he said. "What evolution cares about is that I have more offspring. If you can do it by charming and manipulating, and I'm a hardworking farmer that's going to feed the kids ten years down the road, then you're going to win. Hit-and-run, irresponsible males are reproducing more. That isn't good for anyone except those males, but that's evolution."

The study's ultimate message, said Harpending: "Whatever changes are happening, they're happening faster."

• http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2007/12/humans-evolving.html

I would guess that the evolution from environmental influences has slowed down when we hit the point where most of us didn't need to rely on our physical attributes to put food on the table (last 100 years?). With increasing our control of our environments, this evolution stream must be slowing.

The evolution from mutations because of increased numbers (partially due to better healthcare keeping more people alive) must be driving this whole thing. I'll bet that this study will be controversial - people hate the word mutation in relation to themselves. They're usually the ones who hate the thought of sharing a common ancestor with other primates and mis-quote that we "descended from monkeys". But you've got to like the hitting of the bees nest: We're more different from people 5,000 years ago than they were from Neanderthals.

Of course, I already knew all this from my discussions with the nice JW's* who drop by periodically. Everyone now on Earth, and whomever may be in space right now, evolved from the 8 people who were on Noah's Ark and survived the flooding. So yes, I'd say that evolution has increased recently.

GE&H

* No, I'm not being sarcastic.
 GREENEYESANDHAM
Msg: 11 (view)

Evel Knievel R.I.P.
Posted: 12/9/2007 10:53:18 AM
Kudos to Evel for basically mastering the self-promotion daredevil genre; I remember watching a ton of his stuff back in the day. He was kind of a modern-day barnstormer. However, some seem to just be stuck on him being a delightful rogue - he certainly wasn't a saint. Some perspective:

• Invited the Czechoslovakian national hockey team to play against his, then stole their expense money.
• Ran big-game hunting expeditions into Yellowstone National Park.
• After reading Sheldon Saltman's unflattering book about him (Evel had signed off on every word of it), Evel had a friend hold Saltman and then bravely attacked him with an aluminum baseball bat, shattering Saltman's left arm. Then he bragged about his 3 years in prison as being a publicity stunt.
• Failed to pay a dime of the $13 million judgement.
• Reneged on over $4 million in taxes.
• Soliticited a prostitute while married.

What a scamp.

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM
Msg: 10 (view)

Why does ice float?
Posted: 12/8/2007 6:33:02 PM
LogisticEarth: convection is an issue I think. The poles would certainly be a lot colder, that's for sure if the ocean currents slowed down.
Umm...no. Since all the cold water and ice would be in the ocean depths, the surface temperature of the oceans would be warmer and tend to even out, which would result in a heating of the poles. When a pole started to get cold, all the cold water would drain away - thus, it would stay warmer.

fortran: Because ice floats on liquid water, it starts to thermally isolate the water from the cold temperatures of the land environment next to the water...If ice was more dense than liquid water, any ice formed would sink, and thereby provide new liquid water to be exposed to the cold...In effect, ice floating tends to protect water (lakes) from freezing completely.
True, but because of the effect of all the extra warm water at the surface, the frost line would be further towards the poles, so less lakes would have any freezing anyway. Also, because insulation works both ways, the open water would heat up faster in springtime because of the decreased insulation and albedo effects keeping the water cold.

The major effect of sinking ice would more likely be flooding - as rivers and lakes got temporarily shallower in the spring. It would likely amount to more rivers and lakes, but they'd be shallower. While land would be crazier, the oceans would likely become more calm and buffered.

Like I said before - the increased greenhouse effect of a greater surface area of warm water, combined with decreased albedo, would likely cause temperatures to go up, not down.

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM

Why does ice float?
Posted: 12/8/2007 11:16:37 AM

LogisticEarth: If water were to sink when it froze solid, it would drastically change the way the oceans convect. As ice froze it would sink to the ocean floor, where it would likely remain frozen as more ice solidified on the surface and sank. Rinse and repeat. Thus the oceans would be stratified, and eventually freeze close to solid except for a thin layer near the surface that remained above freezing.

Yes, I already mentioned that the convection currents would likely change. I believe that they'd just calm down. Why would the oceans "eventually freeze close to solid except for a thin layer near the surface that remained above freezing"? There's still the same amount of heat on Earth and the same amount of heat hitting the Earth. In fact, having all the warmer water on the surface would increase the amount of condensation in the air, which would increase the greenhouse effect, which would lead to a net heating of the Earth and oceans. This would lead to the elimination of ice in the oceans (and most other places), if anything. I'm not sure what justification you have for offering up this 'ice as black hole' theory.

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM

Why does ice float?
Posted: 12/8/2007 12:28:14 AM
There are other substance that expand when they freeze, but I'm not sure what compounds they might make:

Now that we understand water, what other substances expand when frozen? Because of the lattice requirement, they are few and less known than water. Examples include Silicon, which is used in various electronic an technological applications, Bismuth, which in alloys and compounds can be found in chemical and pharmaceutical applications, as well as Antimony and Gallium.

• http://www.helium.com/tm/453167/substance-known-expanding-rather

I'm not sure why you're saying that life could not exist though -- so the ice would be at the bottom. The only difference I can think of off the top of my head is that there might be calmer seas because of less convection. Oh, and the Titanic would now be a stationary hotel in New York harbour a la the RMS Queen Mary at Long Beach.

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM

The The Impotence of Proofreading
Posted: 12/5/2007 6:25:11 PM
I understand the odd spelling mistake and the odd grammatical error. I also understand that the internet is pretty informal. However, somehow terrible spelling and grammar irk me. I'm glad that there's a guy who made it funny, so I'm less anal about the whole thing:

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjhOBiSk8Gg

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM

Men. Want to live longer? Try this.
Posted: 12/3/2007 11:45:08 PM
I should have read that article more closely before I went out and got breast implants. "Women's breasts" - crud. I hope that "Normally women's breasts" counts too.

GE&H
* PS - Geez, it's way harder to type when I can't see the bottom half of the keyboard.
 GREENEYESANDHAM

Evel Knievel (October 17, 1938 – November 30, 2007)
Posted: 12/3/2007 9:21:05 AM
Kudos to Evel for basically mastering the self-promotion daredevil genre; I remember watching a ton of his stuff back in the day. He was kind of a modern-day barnstormer. However, some seem to just be stuck on him being a delightful rogue - he certainly wasn't a saint. Some perspective:

• Invited the Czechoslovakian national hockey team to play against his, then stole their expense money.
• Ran big-game hunting expeditions into Yellowstone National Park.
• After reading Sheldon Saltman's unflattering book about him (Evel had signed off on every word of it), Evel had a friend hold Saltman and then attacked him with an aluminum baseball bat, shattering Saltman's left arm. Then he bragged about his 3 years in prison as being a publicity stunt.
• Failed to pay a dime of the $13 million judgement.
• Reneged on over $4 million in taxes.
• Soliticited a prostitute while married.

What a scamp.

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM

Airbags in Vehicles
Posted: 11/19/2007 11:06:13 AM

mojo LA: Seatbelts definatley save lives, but there is surprisingly little evidence that shows airbags do more good than harm.
Except if you count "saving lives" as doing good.

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM
Msg: 17 (view)

Women over 40 according to Andy Rooney
Posted: 11/13/2007 11:14:22 PM
My mother and I saw Andy when he did this on "60 Minutes"
This seems unlikely, since he neither wrote it nor read it on the air...

It makes me feel both good and bad when I get more mail than I can answer.
A lot of people have written to ask if I really wrote some things on the Internet that have my name on them. The answer, briefly, is no I didn’t.

A saccharine collection of comments called ‘ANDY ROONEY ON OLDER WOMEN’ has had wide circulation. I was pleased by how many people wrote to say they didn't believe I wrote it.

• http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/10/20/60minutes/rooney/main958151.shtml
• http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/rooney2.asp

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM

Check this video out and tell me what on earth you think this could be??
Posted: 11/4/2007 9:30:35 AM
The first video is the contrail of a jet. In relation to the camera, it was going from right to left and turned away from the camera at the 'spoon' end - that's why the trail ends there and is bunched up a bit. If the camera had moved to the left a bit, it would show the rest of the contrail going away from the original camera point.

The second video looks like the contrail of a jet again - this time as it's flying away from the camera and likely doing a bit of a barrel-roll.

Technically, this doesn't mean that there isn't a wormhole there, just that the odds are still quite slim. Maybe the pilots are illegal aliens too, but again - that's unlikely.

For you conspiracy theorists, if you want to believe that I'm a government spook who is trying to cover stuff up...that'd be cool with me. I hear chicks dig government spooks.

GovernmentEyes&Ham
 GREENEYESANDHAM
Msg: 3 (view)

Kenyan Monkeys Make Lewd Gestures at Women
Posted: 10/25/2007 12:19:07 PM
I'm not convinced that dressing up as a man is the answer:

Monkeys attack Delhi politician

Delhi has long struggled to cope with marauding monkeys. The deputy mayor of the Indian capital Delhi has died a day after being attacked by a horde of wild monkeys.

• http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7055625.stm

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM

Best Song/Musical Score Utilized in a Game?
Posted: 10/25/2007 12:10:53 PM
Intelligent Qube -- No-one will ever have heard of this game, but I bought it for my brother way back because I couldn't find the one he wanted. Total fluke that it turned out to be a great game. One of the best levels is kind an orchestral cowboy tune - sounds weird, I know. Sony actually released the music from the game separately.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Qube

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM

Women's World Cup Rugby in Edmonton
Posted: 10/22/2007 10:09:14 AM
Well it was over a year ago, anyway.

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM

Leveling Mechanisms...
Posted: 10/10/2007 2:05:11 PM
Calumniate.

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM

Flaws and Weaknesses
Posted: 9/28/2007 2:57:12 PM
as far as posts 13 and 16 go - i think it is not helpful to correct another poster assuming an absolute and generalizing position - "buddhists believe" - and otherwise staying on the fence.
The reason I thought it was helpful to correct was because I believe the teachings of Buddhism to be a strong way to cope with pain and suffering for some people. As is Christianity, Islam, Atheist inevitablism, etc for some people. I don't want someone, who otherwise might check out Buddhism and have success dealing with their pain through it, to dismiss it because of a misrepresentation.

how do you cope?
Plain old acceptance.

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM
Msg: 11 (view)

Flaws and Weaknesses
Posted: 9/28/2007 11:13:28 AM

Now do you have anything relevant to add?
Just another correction of your take on Buddhism.

Suffering sucks...life sucks.
No, "suffering sucks" is a value judgement. Buddhists believe that suffering is just a part of life. There's no value judgement on it. It's not a big deal. Therefore, logically speaking, life doesn't suck. This ties in with your original main point and questions about how to deal with hardship through Buddhism. Good luck with your friends.

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM

Flaws and Weaknesses
Posted: 9/27/2007 10:59:45 AM

Life sucks, as the Buddhists say.

Buddhists don't think that life sucks, just that life involves suffering. This isn't a negative thing, they just work to accept it and disassociate themselves from their own suffering - thus attaining enlightenment or Nirvana.

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM

Thanks Homeland Security, for caring about my life.
Posted: 9/20/2007 6:58:07 PM
So, they should ignore someone carrying a book on bombmaking? How about ignoring someone returning back from the Afghanistan region with poppy residue* instead of marijuana leaves on flashlights?

GE&H
* Heroin comes from poppies and at least 85% of the world's heroin is from Afghanistan. It's being used to fund the Taliban and Al Qaeda.
 GREENEYESANDHAM

Illegal Alien kills Police Officer
Posted: 9/20/2007 6:45:29 PM
Certainly some close-minded people will use this as yet another terror alert, but to answer your question:

Also, incidents like this give us more reasons NOT to support illegal aliens. What do you think?

I think that the statistics should be compiled so the threats can be attacked in order of importance and not in a knee-jerk manner. ie. If aliens commit crime at a lower rate than the general populace, then "no".

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM

There once was a Little Red Rooster (And i think he was Albertan)
Posted: 9/14/2007 2:01:29 PM
“The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people.” – Noam Chomsky

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM

Neilson Ratings
Posted: 9/13/2007 9:32:22 AM
One time, way back, we got an envelope in the mail from the Neilson TV Ratings company. They sent a form to fill out about our TV-watching habits in the upcoming week and included a US dollar to guilt us into it. Between being helpful, wanting to get better TV, and the guilt - it worked. Funny thing though - suddenly the crap TV-watching virtually disappeared. Once you watched 5 minutes of a show, you had to record it. What craziness as we skimmed Three's Company, Love Boat, Fantasy Island, Gilligan's Island, etc in 4-minute increments. It was exhausting and hilarious at the same time, as everyone denied doing it. Also, the total amount of TV-watching dropped through the floor.

Anyone else have the same thing happen?

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM

New Search and rescue Technique to find Steve Fossett
Posted: 9/11/2007 10:16:33 AM
Wow, what a cool use of technology.

re: how new are the pics?

IMPORTANT: Please ensure that you've loaded the following KML file below in Google Earth before navigating to the co-ordinates. Otherwise, you risk looking at old and irrelevant images.

KML file for Google Earth Searching:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/fossett/geoeye-color.kml

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM

I don't know what
Posted: 9/5/2007 6:55:24 PM
How about something radical like not using a vague subject line by putting up one that says something like "Born-again believers"? Maybe even do a thread search. I'll even get you started:

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts2183175.aspx

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM
Msg: 14 (view)

Metric system vs. English system
Posted: 9/2/2007 10:26:36 AM
truckerman666: Converting to the metric system is an incredibly stupid idea...
Hey, blame your* guy...

The metric system, and metre was first fully described by Englishman John Wilkins in 1668 in a treatise presented to the Royal Society some 120 years before the French adopted the system. It is believed that the system was transmitted to France from England via the likes of Benjamin Franklin...

GE&H
* Well, he's on your $100 bill anyway: Benjamin Franklin was one of the most important Founding Fathers of the United States. He was a leading author, political theorist, politician, printer, scientist, inventor, civic activist, and diplomat. As a political writer and activist he, more than anyone, invented the idea of an American nation, and as a diplomat during the American Revolution, he secured the French alliance that helped to make independence possible.

[wikipedia]
 GREENEYESANDHAM

Metric system vs. English system
Posted: 8/31/2007 10:15:23 AM

how do you feel about metric, now that your country has officially used it for over 30 years?...So why do you still refer to height in feet/inches and weight (mass) in pounds?...but why was the change from Fahrenheit to Celsius so easy but not things like height/weight/lumber
It's fantastic if you're doing anything vaguely scientific, but not much different in day to day life; hence we use whatever's convenient. I think of temperature in Celsius now, and it takes me a bit to figure out the equivalent Fahrenheit, unless it's around freezing or room temperature. Okay, or if it's -40, where they're exactly the same - but thankfully that doesn't come up often, even in Edmonton.

• Football is still in yards, but we run track in metres. Okay, so does the States. Interestingly though, if we metricized Canadian Football, our 110 yard field would be 100 metres long and be more similar to American Football. However, the players would now look a lot smaller and slower.
• Height and weight are metric officially, but generally in feet/inches and pounds for everyday use. No-one says "Wow, I bet that chick is over 120 kilos!" Sometimes it just sounds better to say "I'm 6-5, 225" than "I'm 1.98m and 100 kilos". It's funny to hear the German guy on my soccer team talk about height and weight in metric. Plus, of course, his silly accent. Actually I'm surprised that women haven't crossed over to metric here, as their weight would go from 150 (pounds) to 70 (kilograms). Or even back to the British "stone"; which would be about 11 stone (14 pounds to the stone).
• Mileage (not kilometrage, by the way) is officially in the idiotic "litres/100km" but in mpg in general use. Confusingly though, we use the Imperial Gallon (4.54 litres) and the States uses the American Gallon (3.78 litres). The advertising we get from the States is in "MPG", although it's the smaller gallon. This makes us seem like very efficient drivers when we do our fuel economy calculation after driving with Imperial Gallons.
• Distance: Country roads are segmented 1 mile by 2 miles (a Section of land being 640 acres). "Go 5 miles north and 3 miles east" used to be clear as a bell; now, you may hear that or "8k north and 5k east" - but it wouldn't be exact. One of the reasons why my dad used to rail that the speed limits and distances should've stayed in miles; after all, we don't convert it to anything. Also, people still talk about having 15 acres, not 6 hectares/hectometres.
• Speed is bipolar too. If you're talking about the speed limit (and maybe your ticket), it's in kilometres per hour. If you're talking about how fast your car is, it's in mph. No-one born or bred in Canada brags about their car going 250kph they'd say it does over 150. Likely due to American racing influence I suppose.
• Gas: They made it illegal to sell gas in gallons for awhile, until everyone was used to the litre thing. When they took that restriction off, companies were allowed to sell in gallons again. Interestingly, people were so shocked at what they now paid for a gallon of gas that no-one would buy it from them, so no-one sells in gallons up here anymore - again.
• Cooking: Either/or. Usually Fahrenheit I think. "An hour at 350" is clear to everyone up here. Most cooking thingies have dual scales.
• The American way of spelling "metre" can be "meter", and people up here use either - but technically, a 'metre' (hence metric) is a length and a 'meter' is a device that measures something...like a voltmeter.
• Booze: technically metric, like a litre or 750 millilitres of wine. However, realistically we would still have a shot/ounce of tequila, or buy a 26-ouncer/26er (twixer) or 40-ouncer/40-pounder of vodka. Strangely, like I would in Canada, I tried to buy a pint of beer in an airport in the States and the bartender didn't know what I was talking about. After some explaining and hand-waving, we agreed upon a "tall" beer.

So, to answer your question, ummm...I don't know...we just use whatever.

I'll let Grampa Simpson have the last word on this: "The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it."

GE&H
 GREENEYESANDHAM
Msg: 5 (view)

Farmer fed his missus to pigs
Posted: 8/17/2007 8:40:57 AM
I heard that she'd been asking for a pen for her birthday.

GE&H

Show ALL Forums