Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Feminism Your Views
 mmadkins
Msg: 122 (view)

Feminism Your Views
Posted: 4/9/2012 3:50:06 PM

So is it only a state of mind or also a behavior?

Isn't Feminism a philosophy? I don't see how it could be a state of mind or behavior. Also, I think that "Feminism" seems to have a varying definition from person-to-person. Of course, there is a formal definition that doesn't vary from person-to-person but it seems that different people have a different understanding about what exactly Feminism is.
 mmadkins
Msg: 12 (view)

What am I?
Posted: 4/5/2012 10:19:54 PM
Different women will have different ratings of you. Here's a good thing to take into account though. Even a 10 on the physical side of things becomes like a 5 on the attractiveness scale if he doesn't have confidence. The fact that you're asking this question tells me that your attitude is lowering your "value". The fact that you're considering not talking to 9s and 10s because of your physical appearance drops your value even more. Instead own who you are and go after anybody you have interest in. Worst that happens is you get turned down. Never go for someone you aren't attracted to.

Right, I kind of feel you on that one. But, honestly, I might feel less frustrated if some of the girls that I messaged, actually wrote me back.
 mmadkins
Msg: 10 (view)

What am I?
Posted: 4/5/2012 10:01:31 PM

Looking for Ms. Right

^^^
That's your catch line.

Yet you state....

Wants to date but nothing serious.

What is it?
You want to find Ms. Right now?

Right, I guess that can be confusing. The truth is, I would like to find the right woman, but (honestly) I don't have good people skills and I don't have too much relationship experience. Any relationship that I would likely find myself in, I wouldn't want to make it long-term. I guess that I can say this because I'm not likely to meet any of you people here. Even though I get lonely here in this city, I think that I might still have some anxiety about being trapped in a relationship that I don't want to be in.

Anyways, I guess that I can go change it to "Wants a relationship" since my headliner is "Looking for Ms. Right". But, also note, that I don't want to convey a sense of desperation. I don't have much relationship experience and I'm 28. It seems that a girl were to sense that I was desperately trying to find someone, then that would freak her out.

I'm not saying that I am actually like that, but I'm just saying that I don't have alot of relationship experience and that someone might be more inclined to think that way of me because of that fact. I know that my profile doesn't communicate that I don't have much relationship experience (except for longest relationship stat), but I feel like it would become apparent in a face-to-face conversation.

And your photos ... can you smile?
Women like men who can smile.

Actually, I had some smiling photos, but I posted all of my self-shots taken from my cellphone posted on facebook and had my family evaluate them for me. Ultimately, the photos that you see now, were chosen to be the most attractive photos of me.
My pointing that out probably makes me sound more unattractive, but those photos were determined to be my best ones by the people who love and care about me.

Maybe you should take your profile over to profile review and have them look at it.
Then you can email women who have substance.
Not just look at their photos, and email them because their hot.

I do actually try to read a girl's post and try to send messages based on what I read. However, no girl ever responded to me based on that approach - ever. The only time a girl ever responded to me was when I told her that I thought that she was hot - seriously.

One day, on match.com, I got frustrated and just started sending e-mails to all the girls that I thought were hot, and all the messages were pretty much about how hot I thought that they were. Using that approach, one of the girls responded with "Maybe I should get to know you better." Granted, it's not all that great and there was nothing after that one, but it was the most success on a dating site that I ever had before.

And, considering that I might have e-mailed 10 to 20 girls that night using that approach, whereas I may have messaged 100 to maybe 200 girls with messages that pertained to what was written on their profile, the basing messages on what I actually felt seemed to be the most successful. I hear that messages with deeper meaning are more successful, but they're really time-consuming and considering the amount of effort I have to put into them versus the results that I actually see, it hardly seems worth it.

I might continue the "traditional" approach of sending messages based on what I think the girl and I have in common, but only based on the assumption that this is will somehow work out better in the end. Otherwise, I would just e-mail girls, telling them I thought that they were hot, because it takes little effort for me to do and it's actually the most successful approach that I've used so far.
 mmadkins
Msg: 8 (view)

What am I?
Posted: 4/5/2012 9:15:30 PM

Honestly you are a sixish to seven, but that matters not the slightest.
Thanks for your honesty. When I was in college, I used to post my picture on HotOrNot and I think that your rating was generally what I had last time I checked.
But, you're right about looks not being everything. For the 10 that fit your first description, sure she's hot, but if she and I don't have anything in common, and there's not much that we can talk about, then our dates are going to be boring and there won't be much potential for a long-term relationship.

The second 10 is probably what I would be looking for, but I couldn't get that much just by looking at a photo. However, still, if I'm not a 10 myself then I probably shouldn't be too worried about talking to a 10, lol.
 mmadkins
Msg: 7 (view)

What am I?
Posted: 4/5/2012 8:57:33 PM
 mmadkins
Msg: 1 (view)

What am I?
Posted: 4/5/2012 6:46:05 PM
Seriously, what am I on a scale of 1-10 and what kind of girls should I even try to talk to on a scale of 1 to 10? Of course, I want to talk to the 9's and 10's, but there's no use in wasting my time if they're never going to talk to me, right?
 mmadkins
Msg: 140 (view)

Can culture advance without religion?
Posted: 4/5/2012 6:14:42 PM
@ Yule_liquor (in regards to your post on the first page of this thread)
No, the Nazi regime used religious justification for some of its own "standards for morality".

Also, have you ever heard of Normative Ethics? You can have a moral theory that isn't derived from a "higher authority" but through logical argument. Whether or not people are going to follow these moral systems derived from logic, is a different argument. I kind of think that most people need God in order to control their behavior in situations where law enforcement isn't able to control.
 mmadkins
Msg: 41 (view)

Can we create life artificially?
Posted: 4/5/2012 6:10:59 PM
Well, that's how you're defining what it means to "create life". But, I don't see why you would have to take that view, because it isn't necessary with most things we create. For instance, you don't have to have invented the wheel, axel, etc. to have created a car. You can take a bunch of pre-existing things, put them together, and have something that you created. You don't have to start from scratch.
 mmadkins
Msg: 36 (view)

Nothing unphysical exists
Posted: 4/5/2012 6:07:47 PM
That doesn't work for alot of things, however. In the field of computer science, abstract structures could be explained by physical phenomena when on a computer, but they can also exist on paper or in your head. The definition of an abstract data structure would remain the same, regardless of what media it's being observed on.
 mmadkins
Msg: 43 (view)

The soul?
Posted: 4/5/2012 5:52:40 PM
It seems that what some people refer to the "soul" is really the abstract concept of the mind. However, because they have a religious belief attached to it, they view it as something that is absolutely real and isn't something that requires something intelligent to observe it like you would an abstract object.

The mind, to me, is like software. It's common analogy but it works for the most part. Like with software on your computer, the mind's functionality can be affected by the hardware that it's kept on. Although, the changes are probably more noticeable with the mind than with software.
 mmadkins
Msg: 35 (view)

What Is The Difference Between A Philosophy, Science and Religion?
Posted: 4/5/2012 5:48:22 PM
"Science is the concerted human effort to understand, or to understand better, the history of the natural world and how the natural world works, with observable physical evidence as the basis of that understanding"

Devlish_Delight, but that definition only includes natural science. What about social science, or even computer science? Computer science doesn't have shit to do with the natural world. And, natural sciences hold a different definition of existence than computer science.

In natural science, existence has a more of a materialist definition (ie if something is made out of atoms then it exists). However, that definition doesn't work for computer science. Data structures are abstract objects, which "exist" but they can't be observed through physical means. Unlike natural science, "observable physical evidence" isn't possible.

There might be a physical explanation for these abstract objects when they're on your computer, but using that definition really doesn't work either. Take the HashTable, for instance. It could exist on your computer on memory in which case it's really just a series of pulses in your computer, or as magnetic charges on your hard disk in the case of storage. But, a HashTable can also exist on paper, so viewing a HashTable as a concept works best.

And, unlike natural science, things can't be proven through empiricism. Like I said, computer science works much like math. You have theorems and you have proofs. You can prove something through proof by induction, proof by construction, and proof by contradiction. Also, computer sciences takes many different things from many different other fields.

For instance, did you know that Noam Chomsky's work in linguistics is something that is studied in computer science? It's something that not many people actually know about.

"Many people have their personal favorite definition which they know to be the correct one, to the exclusion of all others. Unfortunately, there does not exist anything approaching a consensus."
And, I disagree with that statement. I don't think that religion is a subjective term. You can go by a dictionary definition for religion and most people would agree with it.
 mmadkins
Msg: 106 (view)

Reincarnation, from a scientific perspective
Posted: 4/5/2012 5:30:43 PM
"US" it would depend on what you mean. If you're going to define your existence as pertaining to all the atoms that were once apart of your body, then you're probably spread about the world already. Skin flakes that come off you have already passed through the air. Maybe a dust mite ate some of your skin and you know live as the guy who started this thread and as baby dust mites?
But, what about things that aren't even alive? Would they also count as "you" as well?
Generally, I would define my existence as my consciousness. If I am able to think then I exist.
 mmadkins
Msg: 40 (view)

Can we create life artificially?
Posted: 4/5/2012 5:21:43 PM
Does evolution through artificial selection count? You know, like how we do with our vegetables and farm animals? Does that count as creating life? Whole species of organisms have been created through human efforts, it seems that creating life artificially has been going on before people could even write!
 mmadkins
Msg: 34 (view)

What Is The Difference Between A Philosophy, Science and Religion?
Posted: 4/5/2012 5:14:15 PM
First, in order to view the differences, we need to look at what the definitions of these terms are:

* Philosophy: the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct.
* Science: a branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws
* Religion: a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Philosophy generally deals with thought in general. Many arguments that are made in philosophy can't be proven. How you even go about determining the truth of a claim or a premise appears to be up for debate.

Whereas, in the various fields of science and in math, determining a proposition's truth is absolute. LOL. I'm not entirely sure if social science has an absolute way of determining a proposition's truth or not. But, I know that the natural sciences tend to rely on empirical observations and computer science works much like math. Proving something to be true in computer science works exactly like you would in math.

Religion is very different from science, but maybe not so much with philosophy. You can have a philosophical discussion within a religion. How to go about interpreting the texts of your faith generate different schools of thoughts or denominations within that religion. However, usually the truth of any claim depends solely on what's written in that faith's writings. However, some faiths might rely on conjecture (using the archaic definition for the word) where a person can gain understanding by interpreting signs or events that happen in one's environment.

Also, in philosophy you can establish a set of morals using logical reasoning. However, religions generally tend to establish a set of moral rules without any kind of logical justification for them. The only justification for many religions is that God said so - there's no talk of a social contract, categorical imperatives, maximizing utility, or anything like that.

PS. I got my definitions from dictionary.com.
 mmadkins
Msg: 5 (view)

Rate my profile
Posted: 4/5/2012 4:35:13 PM
No, actually those could involve them. Of course, if they don't even like anime or video games then obviously not, but these aren't things that would limit to only one person at a time enjoying them.
 mmadkins
Msg: 4 (view)

Rate my profile
Posted: 4/5/2012 4:30:33 PM
Right now, I don't have anyone to take my picture for me. I moved into this city for work so I don't know anyone right now. Most pictures taken by other people and body shots are kind of old, so I didn't want to post them.
 mmadkins
Msg: 1 (view)

Rate my profile
Posted: 4/3/2012 8:06:05 PM
Rate my profile on everything that you can think of. From my pictures and my looks, to what I actually write on my profile. And, then factor everything in and rate me on a skill of 1 to 10.
Even if what you say ends up insulting me, as long as it's honest, it'll actually help me.
 mmadkins
Msg: 17 (view)

Rip me apart!
Posted: 4/3/2012 7:54:38 PM
Dude, you're seriously not bad looking. I would probably say good-looking. I mean, lol, I can't evaluate this for certain, but if I had to bet my money on what women thought about you then I'd probably bet it on that.

Some girls might see "DNA Analyst" and think that you're really full of shit, though. You don't look like a "geek" or anything like that, I wouldn't guess that you were that kind of guy just by looking at your pictures. However, I think that most girls would rate you at 7-9 out of 10 and if you're not making up what you do for a living then you're probably a smart. Some girls are going to go for something like that.

Just wondering, what do all the girls you message look like? I don't know if this would be breaking any forum rules, but if not then maybe you could give us a sample of the girls whom you messaged but never messged you back. Maybe we could evaluate if these girls are out of your league or not, because that could be what's going on if the changing your body type on your profile doesn't help.

Show ALL Forums