Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: So alone now
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 32 (view)

So alone now
Posted: 3/3/2008 1:04:57 PM
Pete,

Just to add two more cents to my earlier post. You said, “Most of my friends are gone…” , you have to understand the real definition of friends. My own experience has caused me to redefine the meaning of friends. It seams that friends are the ones that come running toward you when you need them, while all the rest of your acquaintances run the other way. So those ‘friends’ that you lost weren’t really friends.

I assume that you that, with your 20 years in a successful business, you have that inner strength that makes a successful business. That’s something that only a few have. It may be of value to reach down inside and tap on that inner strength to build up your confidence. I have found that by focusing, you’ll soon be able to clear away that ‘dark cloud’.

You’ll find, even with all the wisdom provided on this site, it just takes time.

VP
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 17 (view)

So alone now
Posted: 3/2/2008 6:33:41 PM
Please don’t think that I’m putting my two cents worth in just to one-up you. About 7 years ago, my life pretty much took the same turn of events. The exception being, I lost my wife of 20 years as a result of cancer, successful business of 30 years (local economic changes), lost my family (two step kids I raised), and was involved in a car accident (not my fault). There’s more, but I don’t want to sound like a drama queen. It is amazing how life can change so for the worst so fast and gets better so slow…

I’m only listing this brief summary to tell you that sometimes bad things happen to good people. Not because of mistakes, just sometimes it happens.

You asked if. “anybody that has been through this kind of change offer some perspective??” Well, been there... done it… got a T-shirt…

Pete, I’m not a counselor, but I have lived the same experience that you’ve had; only I just started a little earlier. Believe me, I’ve got perspective… If you just want someone to talk to, send me a message and I’d be glad to talk…

Believe me, you’re not alone…

VP
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 92 (view)

Helping himself to my computer...............
Posted: 8/29/2007 2:29:52 PM
A lot of people don’t keep important info in their computer, that’s true… I too know how hackers work, my profession is computer security. Whether she had bank account info or not isn’t the issue, the issue is invasion of privacy.

At the risk of getting off topic, you are right, the computer is not the safest place to keep that information. There are no absolutes here. There is not perfect place, however, it is a common place and being used more and more. Just a side note, if you want to get rif of an old computer, there is software that can do a DOJ security erase and makes it impossible (unless you’re the CIA) to recover the data.

Oh, and phone banking is not totally secure either…
Vp

Random, good advice, just a simple correction though, that doesn't protect you from a virus at all...
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 87 (view)

Posted: 8/29/2007 2:00:44 PM
A toaster, an appliance…

How many of you keep your cash in your toaster or your checkbook in the microwave? The problem here is not the use of a toaster without permission, it that someone who’s relatively new person in your life, snooping thru your personal information that your personal computer contains. Not many toasters contain a social security number or credit card information.

Also, not everyone only uses a computer as a Gameboy. The comparison of a personal computer with a toaster, tv, or a sports car shows very little understanding of the real problem here.

When someone steals technology, they hardly steal the computer, they take the info. Those of you who talk about him cutting the grass. What does that have to do with invasion of privacy? It would seem to me that the grass not being cut was not what upset you. And whether or not you had intimacy with a person is irrelevant.

The comment, “…huge red flag for personality/value clash, and I'd probably re-evaluate the relationship... but that's the whole point in dating and being open- figuring out if you match.)” may be good a advice, not for him to take, but for you.

“…dating and being open- figuring out if you match…”. Shouldn’t that be your decision as how and when you want to be open?

And the thought about password protection, sure, that’s a good idea, but a person normally doesn’t expect to be violated within their own home.

I’m not suggesting that you shouldn’t trust anyone. That’ extreme in the other direction, however, a good password may have avoided this whole online conversation.

vp
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 65 (view)

Posted: 8/29/2007 5:37:40 AM
The term ‘Personal Computer’ is just that. If you unplugged you PC, that should have been enough. You probably feel like he invaded your privacy. I don’t feel that it’s a matter of you trusting him, after all, you let him in your house alone, and could it be a matter of him trusting you? Could it be a matter of him snooping around going thru your person information? It’s like someone going thru your drawers or looking at you checkbook just to see what turns up.

No doubt this has bothered you, it would me… You might want to confront him on this matter. If you plan a long term relationship, trust is a must… From both of you.

If you don’t feel that the trust is there, let him use Map Quest one more time, and tell him where to go… (At least he’ll know how to get there)

vp
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 23 (view)

Dating Co-Workers
Posted: 9/14/2006 7:20:24 AM
A word of advice...

Don't get your meat where you get your bread...

VP
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 34 (view)

STEALERS !
Posted: 2/11/2006 11:50:20 AM
There are many things that make up a football game. What determines the results of a game is the final score.

I believe Seattle out played Pittsburgh, but Seattle had its share of problems: Jerramy Stevens, dropped four balls, and kicker Josh Brown, who missed two field-goal attempts. The Seahawks converted only one of three red zone; for allowing Ben Roethlisberger to complete a 37-yard pass to Hines Ward to the 1; for giving up a 75-yard touchdown run to Willie Parker (Longest in Super Bowl history); and for getting beaten by a gadget play with Antwaan Randle El's pass Hines Ward for a touchdown (Also the First in Super Bowl History). Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck said of the three major penalties that helped change the game completely.

What seemed to be a Darrell Jackson touchdown in the first quarter when Jackson was called for offensive pass interference, Jackson extended his arm. The official called him for pushing off. That was the penalty, and it was the correct call. As an official, I don’t think I would called that penalty such a hi-profile game, Jackson did push off and he did it right in front of the official. Dumb…

Locklear in the fourth quarter with Pittsburgh leading 14-10 got called for holding. That one wiped out an 18-yard catch by Stevens that would have taken the ball to the 1. According to the rules (Keeping another player from advancing by literally holding him back with one's hand(s)), Look at the replay of that play. Locklear held Haggans. And again, he did it right in front of the official. Dumb…

Three plays later, Ike Taylor picked off a Hasselbeck pass, and Hasselbeck went low to make the tackle and was called for a 15-yard personal foul for a low block. I believe that was a bad call.

Almost identical to what the Steelers did in the Cleveland game. Four plays later Randle El took a reverse and threw a strike on the run to Ward. Score… 21-10… The Steelers don't lose when they're up by 11.

On Roethlisberger's 1-yard touchdown on third-and-goal in the second quarter. The still photos of Roethlisberger showed that the ball broke the plane of the goal line, he then landed short and reached the ball over. The rule book say’s the ball must break the plain of the Goal Line. The plain of the Foal Line is the field-side edge of the line. The ball did… Six points… End of story…

Pittsburgh capitalized on its opportunities. Seattle did not.

I am a Steelers fan but I’m also a fan of football. The officials are part of the game. They always have been. They are a human element to the game. I don’t want to see the officials to determine the outcome of a game but sometimes it happens. Given the fact that this game is played in real time and decisions are made in real time I believe the officials did a good job.

Just my 2 cents...

PS I was disapointed in the half-time. That was Motown. Maybe they should have had motown instead of a 60+ old man in a belly shirt. He even said that he should have been halftime in the first Super Bowl 40 years ago...
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 15 (view)

SUPER BOWL!!!
Posted: 2/11/2006 11:40:51 AM
There are many things that make up a football game. What determines the results of a game is the final score.

I believe Seattle out played Pittsburgh, but Seattle had its share of problems: Jerramy Stevens, dropped four balls, and kicker Josh Brown, who missed two field-goal attempts. The Seahawks converted only one of three red zone; for allowing Ben Roethlisberger to complete a 37-yard pass to Hines Ward to the 1; for giving up a 75-yard touchdown run to Willie Parker (Longest in Super Bowl history); and for getting beaten by a gadget play with Antwaan Randle El's pass Hines Ward for a touchdown (Also the First in Super Bowl History). Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck said of the three major penalties that helped change the game completely.

What seemed to be a Darrell Jackson touchdown in the first quarter when Jackson was called for offensive pass interference, Jackson extended his arm. The official called him for pushing off. That was the penalty, and it was the correct call. As an official, I don’t think I would called that penalty such a hi-profile game, Jackson did push off and he did it right in front of the official. Dumb…

Locklear in the fourth quarter with Pittsburgh leading 14-10 got called for holding. That one wiped out an 18-yard catch by Stevens that would have taken the ball to the 1. According to the rules (Keeping another player from advancing by literally holding him back with one's hand(s)), Look at the replay of that play. Locklear held Haggans. And again, he did it right in front of the official. Dumb…

Three plays later, Ike Taylor picked off a Hasselbeck pass, and Hasselbeck went low to make the tackle and was called for a 15-yard personal foul for a low block. I believe that was a bad call.

Almost identical to what the Steelers did in the Cleveland game. Four plays later Randle El took a reverse and threw a strike on the run to Ward. Score… 21-10… The Steelers don't lose when they're up by 11.

On Roethlisberger's 1-yard touchdown on third-and-goal in the second quarter. The still photos of Roethlisberger showed that the ball broke the plane of the goal line, he then landed short and reached the ball over. The rule book say’s the ball must break the plain of the Goal Line. The plain of the Foal Line is the field-side edge of the line. The ball did… Six points… End of story…

Pittsburgh capitalized on its opportunities. Seattle did not.

I am a Steelers fan but I’m also a fan of football. The officials are part of the game. They always have been. They are a human element to the game. I don’t want to see the officials to determine the outcome of a game but sometimes it happens. Given the fact that this game is played in real time and decisions are made in real time I believe the officials did a good job.

Just my 2 cents...

PS I was disapointed in the half-time. That was Motown. Maybe they should have had motown instead of a 60+ old man in a belly shirt. He even said that he should have been halftime in the first Super Bowl 40 years ago...
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 27 (view)

Would you marry someone just because they are rich ?
Posted: 1/12/2006 3:59:50 AM
No way!!!

Well.... How Rich??
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 29 (view)

seems like the older crowd of guys here are only looking for sex
Posted: 8/19/2005 6:06:47 AM
Sex is the mortar that bonds the stones of a relationship together. As you stumble and get all the cuts and bruised on the rocks along the path of your togetherness, the mortar can help smooth over the rough spots. Having said that, time has shown that many stone structures have withstood the test of time without mortar. They were just a good fit…

Stones are ageless. A newer stone bonds well with an older stone. They just have to fit. Older stones are usually smoother, while the newer ones typically has a few rough edges.

My guess is that if that’s the only bites your getting in this pond, maybe you’re using the wrong bait.

VP
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 4 (view)

whats the farthest you have traveled to get laid?
Posted: 8/11/2005 9:11:23 PM
I went to Hawaii and got Leigh’ed.

Aloha
VP
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 100 (view)

Does sex get better with age
Posted: 8/11/2005 7:34:13 AM
With out a doubt!

Early on into your 20’s… it’s GOOD.

In to 30’s and 40’s… it’s GREAT.

And the 40’s and 50’s… it’s GREATER.

Some ware along the way, it turns in making love.

At this rate, I’m looking forward to being 90!!!

VP
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 7 (view)

what is a true soul mate?
Posted: 8/10/2005 3:38:11 AM
A dictionary definition is: One of two persons compatible with each other in disposition, point of view, or sensitivity. Someone for whom you have a deep affinity. A person temperamentally suited to another.

My definition is two people fit together like two pieces of a puzzle. They feel safe enough to be completely open and honest with each other. They can be loved for who they are AND for who they’re pretending to be. Each unveils the best part on one another. No matter what else goes wrong, with that one person were safe and you share your deepest longings and each others sense of direction.

You soulmate is the one who makes life come to life…

VP
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 22 (view)

dating at work
Posted: 6/6/2005 9:33:41 PM
Just a bit of advice,

“Don’t get your meat where you get your bread…

VP
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 38 (view)

Explaining the origin of your profile name....
Posted: 4/25/2005 2:21:42 PM
Although I’m a very open and outgoing person and I have nothing to hide, my private life is just that “Very Private”
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 12 (view)

what does the word .....Soulmate.....mean to you
Posted: 4/25/2005 2:08:54 PM
A dictionary definition is: One of two persons compatible with each other in disposition, point of view, or sensitivity. Someone for whom you have a deep affinity. A person temperamentally suited to another.

My definition is two people fit together like two pieces of a puzzle. They feel safe enough to be completely open and honest with each other. They can be loved for who they are AND for who they’re pretending to be. Each unveils the best part on one another. No matter what else goes wrong, with that one person were safe and you share your deepest longings and each others sense of direction.

You soulmate is the one who makes life come to life…

VP
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 45 (view)

Would you date a woman/man with kids,yes/no and why?
Posted: 4/5/2005 5:09:47 AM
Let me throw in a bit from experience.

20+ years ago, I did. She had a boy (14) and a girl (11). Going into the marriage, I was warned by nearly everyone about the difficulties with raising teenagers. Hell, I was a teenager once. How hard could it be? I married the family.

I knew enough to be a friend instead of a father. They had a father, but that didn’t diminish the fact that I loved them as a father. I helped raise them into two good adults. Of that, I’m very proud of that accomplishment.

20 years later, because of an illness. (her) She wanted a divorce. That forced the kids to choose sides. The only option would be for them is to stand-by their mother. My son now has kids and my ‘x’ made it very clear that I was not to see them, knowing that I am very close to them. She said, “that would just confuse them”.

Now, a divorce is the death of a marriage. With that statement, at the stoke of a pen, I lost a spouse, a daughter, son, daughter-in-law, son-in-law, three grand children plus a host of relatives all at once.

I’m not looking for grief-support. I’m just passing on some things to be aware of. There are a lot of unique problems to deal with, and it may not be for everyone.

Would I do it again? With out a doubt. Would I do it now? Yes, I still believe that kids deserve a home and a family live too.

VP
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 21 (view)

What was the specs of your first computer??
Posted: 4/3/2005 8:23:51 AM
cameldriver,

I didn't know anyone else ever heard of fourth.

VP
 VeryPrivate

Tech quote of the day
Posted: 4/3/2005 8:19:50 AM
Another Krazy Klient

Before Windows 95, there was Windows 3.1. This version of windows used the *.ini files to keep configurations of Windows and many of Windows applications.

His Windows was, without-a-doubt, was screwed-up. Finding out what the problem is wasn’t too difficult. All the *.ini files were gone. Fixing it was easy. However, trying to figure out what caused it. Hell, I had no idea. I knew of no natural occurrence in nature other than sunspots or alien interference would cause this.

Well, I fixed it, he thanked me, he paid me and I went on my way.

A few weeks later, he calls me with same symptoms and told how this f*k’n computer is no f*k’n good. I knew how to fix it but I still didn’t know what the cause was.

To preserve the client, this time I didn’t charge for the repair. And I still couldn’t figure out what the cause was.

When the third call came, I sat doing with him and asked what programs was he using when this happened. I wanted to discover the source of this mystery that had baffled me. He said that the cost of my services was more than he wanted to pay. That he watched me and that he could do the simpler tasks and reserve the technical things to me. He wanted to do maintenance on his own system so he decided to delete all the *.bak, *.tmp, and *.ini files. For some reason, his computer did not react well to his handy work.

VP

VeryPrivate
Msg: 14 (view)

Tech quote of the day
Posted: 4/3/2005 7:49:22 AM
Stormycs,

You’re right, she was responsible for the damage, but you have to understand, in the earlier days of the micro-computer industry, very few people who were hired to use these computers had any computer experience. They were just typists.

I easily could have put the blame on her. I could have hid the fact that I put my unique error checking routine in the program, but my personal ethics wouldn’t let me. I took the blame and it really worked out for the better. My client, being a newspaper, had a large customer base of business advertisers in the area.

In a period if the industry when few people knew what they were doing and fewer were honest about it. This incident gave me creditability and a terrific endorsement by a hi-profile client. This led to the rapid growth of my business. This is probably one of the reasons why I’m one of the few micro-computer consultants that ended up staying in business for 26+ years. That and a who lot of luck…

VP

VeryPrivate
Msg: 23 (view)

Who the h*ll passed gas?
Posted: 4/3/2005 7:24:43 AM
A burp is nothing but a breath of air
Coming from the heart,
If it makes a wrong turn,
It’s nothing but a fart

VeryPrivate

Chest Hair on yer men ladies....
Posted: 3/30/2005 3:15:44 AM
Sorry,

I read that wrong

VeryPrivate
Msg: 6 (view)

Chest Hair on yer men ladies....
Posted: 3/30/2005 3:14:56 AM
NO,

I do not like chest on women…
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 208 (view)

WHO WOULD HAVE SEX ON THE FIRST DATE?
Posted: 3/30/2005 3:03:41 AM
The question is:

WHO WOULD HAVE SEX ON THE FIRST DATE?

The answer is:

CALL ME!

VeryPrivate
Msg: 4 (view)

using sex
Posted: 3/28/2005 3:39:20 PM
Yea, I use sex all the time to get something that I want.

d*mn, it just doesn’t seem to work.

VeryPrivate
Msg: 42 (view)

Computers, which do you prefer and why??
Posted: 3/27/2005 4:03:46 PM
Yea,

Windows type accounts for most of the systems out their. I would love to do back to DOS.

VP
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 8 (view)

What could be wrong w/ my monitor??
Posted: 3/27/2005 3:51:09 PM
I’ve had both problems over the years, the fellows are right, it could be a capacitor but it’s more that likely a flyback transformer. Your monitor may last a day, a week, or a year. To take it to a TV repair man (if you can find one) is probably a waste of money. I would recommend taking that money on repair and put it toward a new monitor.

VP
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 11 (view)

What browser do you use?
Posted: 3/27/2005 3:21:02 PM
IE, Firefox, Netscape are all installed on my main machine because I need to test websites that I develop. IE is used for compatibility with most websites, Firefox for tabs and extensions although is still has some bugs that need to be worked out. Netscape only for testing..

VP
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 9 (view)

Tech quote of the day
Posted: 3/27/2005 3:15:58 PM
Another time, early on. I had written a specialized bulk mailing list program for a newspaper. The had to key-in 72,000 names and addresses so they hired temps to do the task. After writing version one of the software, there was a problem with the typist using the ‘O’ for a zero and the small letter ‘L’ for the number one in the zip code field. So being the smart-ass hacker that I am, I programmed the zip code field to only accept numbers so when you enter a ‘L’ or a ‘O’ in the zip code field the screen would shake and let out a zap sound.

Come Monday morning, the temp sat down to enter more names and addresses. The first time she entered the wrong type of info in the zip code field, you guessed it. The surprise scared her so bad, she jumped up, knocked the monitor off the desk and broke it. She grabbed her purse and left the home crying.

Well, that cost me a monitor out of my pocket. Although my client laughed, he didn’t think that it was funny.
 VeryPrivate

Tech quote of the day
Posted: 3/27/2005 3:01:42 PM
I’ve been doing tech support for sometime now. I have experienced many client stories that have happened to me over the years. I’ll try to share some of them with you as I remember them.

I had a secretary for an attorney call me a few years ago. She was in a panic mode because she broke the cup holder in their new computer. This was shortly after CD-ROM’s came out.

VP
 VeryPrivate

What was the specs of your first computer??
Posted: 3/27/2005 2:36:43 PM
Thanks, Now I feel really old.

My first was an Altair 8800 Intel 8080 processor - sold mail order by a tiny company in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It’s cost as a kit was $397.

My second was a TRS80-Model I with 4kb memory and a cassette tape drive for storage.

since then, I've owned at least one or more of every micro-computer made.

Boy have we come a long way…

PS I still have the TRS80-Model I, along with a LNW-80, TRS-Model IV, and a Origional IBM-PC with the 'A' board.
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 20 (view)

Of sluts and ladies :D
Posted: 3/24/2005 5:23:39 PM
I think anyone, male or female, who refers to a woman as a slut just because she loves sex is probably not getting any.
 VeryPrivate

Do you ever wonder.....
Posted: 3/24/2005 5:03:51 PM
On second thought, email me!!
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 13 (view)

Do you ever wonder.....
Posted: 3/24/2005 5:02:43 PM
If anyone is using my picture?

It’s been a LONG time, huh?

I really feel sorry for you.

VeryPrivate

You know you're old when...
Posted: 3/23/2005 3:32:13 AM
Your date remembers Pearl Harbor.
 VeryPrivate

TUBE experience ...Anyone
Posted: 3/22/2005 7:56:15 AM
Nah, I just tuck it in my sock...
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 11 (view)

Posted: 3/22/2005 5:25:34 AM
brawny,

That's why I don't leave home without protection.
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 10 (view)

Posted: 3/22/2005 4:12:35 AM
You do your best Clint Eastwood impersonation

You whisper in her ear.

“Do yah feel lucky punk…”

“Is it six, or maybe five…”

“Quite frankly, in all the action I lost count.”

At least, you might get to meet (meat) her.

VeryPrivate
Msg: 25 (view)

Can an affair strenghten a marriage
Posted: 3/22/2005 4:00:01 AM
Can you spell H – I – S – T – O – R – Y.

She did!

She is!!!
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 28 (view)

How would you end it?
Posted: 3/21/2005 5:10:35 PM
It seems to me that the two of you have more problems that just independently window-shopping on the web.

Snooping may show a lack of trust but cheating IS cheating.

I believe cheating rates a little father up the scale than snooping.

The two of either have to set down and come to an understanding or walk away.

Sometimes it’s tough to make the hard decisions. Whatever your decision is, make it and stick to it. Just one piece of advice, learn by it!!!

Good luck.

VP
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 9 (view)

Web cam experiences
Posted: 3/21/2005 3:07:14 PM
Heaven,

I have an extra Web cam, you’re welcome to it.

VeryPrivate

Web cam experiences
Posted: 3/21/2005 3:02:57 PM
RitzNB,

Very funny. I’ve got to setup my webcam. I didn't realize what I've been missing.
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 3 (view)

Female Orgasm
Posted: 3/21/2005 2:58:44 PM
I get turned-on by turning on my partner and I would hope my partner feels the same.

So far, it’s never been an issue
 VeryPrivate

Can you truly love two people at the same time
Posted: 3/21/2005 2:53:37 PM
Sure you can love two at once.

Each one gets 50%.

The problem is, that doesn’t leave any for yourself.
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 22 (view)

Fav body part!
Posted: 3/15/2005 5:18:44 AM
skin... inside and out
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 25 (view)

The BEST place to have sex!
Posted: 3/15/2005 5:15:42 AM
With someone else
 VeryPrivate

Marriage Considerations
Posted: 3/13/2005 4:18:04 PM
That man WAS a BOOB!!!
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 24 (view)

which do you prefere curcumsized or not?
Posted: 3/11/2005 12:22:19 PM
Strikerz,

I might of had more before, I was just too d*mn young to count.
 VeryPrivate
Msg: 13 (view)

How much sex is too much?
Posted: 3/11/2005 5:31:57 AM
Too much sex is when both have trouble walking…

Well, then maybe one more time!!!

VeryPrivate
Msg: 18 (view)

which do you prefere curcumsized or not?
Posted: 3/11/2005 5:21:48 AM
I just know that I had more sex after being circumsized than before...

Show ALL Forums