Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Would you date a guy with no car/home/job
 artsyGeekette
Msg: 5 (view)

Would you date a guy with no car/home/job
Posted: 4/22/2013 3:14:44 PM
1) Depends on where he is - in a major urban centre it wouldn't be an issue but in the Suburbs it's a must.

2) Depends on if he's actively working towards getting one or not. If he's been laid off and is searching, or if he's gone back to school or something, that gets a pass. If he's just slacking off, that's a red flag.

3) Depends on why he's there. Being forced to move back home after a financial setback is one thing (assuming he's working on getting back on his feet, see number 2). Not being bothered to work towards becoming independent is a red flag.
 artsyGeekette
Msg: 68 (view)

Does anyone else draw, paint, or sculpt?
Posted: 4/19/2013 12:04:09 PM
I paint, both traditionally and digitally.

Right now I'm focusing on portraits but the idea is do do more full-fledged illustrations eventually.
My recent work is here: http://doodlesanctuary.wordpress.com/
 artsyGeekette
Msg: 4 (view)

Difficulty in being orginal???
Posted: 4/19/2013 11:59:17 AM
Have you ever checked out conceptart.org?

They run a weekly character design challenge, where they give you a small brief and the participants design the character based on that. It may help give you some focus.
 artsyGeekette
Msg: 6 (view)

Using Photos Is Cheating?
Posted: 4/19/2013 11:51:44 AM
It depends on how you got the photo. If you took it yourself, or have permission from the photographer, (for example, if it's specifically listed as free stock, or if it's stock you've purchased) you're Ok.
If it's just something you've found on Google, it's not OK.

Using photos to teach yourself how to draw something or someone is normal practice, even among professional artists. The trick is to use the reference to support your own ideas, rather than the other way around. If you're doing a portrait of a specific person (like a friend or family member) it might even be easier than to get them to sit for you. Just make sure the photos are of good quality.
 artsyGeekette
Msg: 5 (view)

44 & live with parents......Dealbreaker?
Posted: 1/4/2013 11:37:46 AM
It depends on the situation. If you've got somewhere you want to go with life and are actively working on a plan to get there, then it's not an issue if that means you end up back with your parents for a while. Stuff happens, after all.

On the other hand, if you've got no real goal in life and are just coasting along taking advantage, that's when the red flags go up.
 artsyGeekette
Msg: 11 (view)

Girls 18-24 Want To Be Single??
Posted: 10/3/2012 12:50:25 PM
You realize these aren't all reasons from the same person, right? Different people have different preferences. Just because two people have conflicting reasons for not being interested in you doesn't mean they're confused or can't make up their minds, or whatever.

It just means you've met two separate people who are looking for two very different things when it comes to relationships.
 artsyGeekette
Msg: 3 (view)

Need review please.
Posted: 9/21/2012 8:29:46 AM

Write an email where you can copy and paste to each and every one of them, but modify it slightly. (red hair vs. blonde, Ford vs. Dodge, etc). Make sure it's filled with compliments, but be real. Best of all, this is all for fun. You got nothing to lose, except time. Don't count the # of ladies who didn't reply count, work on how to improve your relationships with the ones who do.

Don't do this! You want to engage the other person's attention and start a conversation. Feeling like they're part of a carpet-bomb mailing won't help with that. I find a few sentences works best: something saying what attracted you to the person, and and a few comments followed by an open-ended question about one or two of the interests listed on my profile.
 artsyGeekette
Msg: 2 (view)

How can I make my profile better?
Posted: 9/19/2012 1:23:35 PM
Consider using your second or third photo as the primary, they definitely show you off best.
Your profile and interests are a bit generic - try and be a bit more specific. What sports do you play? Where have you travelled so far? What do you do for a living? As a consultant, you could be involved in just about anything.
 artsyGeekette

Profile Review
Posted: 9/19/2012 1:13:55 PM
You mention in the caption of one of your photos you've lost weight recently.
First off, congratulations! I know that's not easy. You should arrange to get some new full-body photos.

You don't have too many interests listed. Are there any more you can add? Your profile says you enjoy motor sports, but they're not listed in your interests.
 artsyGeekette

Need some Advice and Profile Pointers, and help. Thanks
Posted: 9/19/2012 12:49:47 PM
The point of the full-head shot isn't to be artistic, it's to show the ladies out there what you look like!

It may be that most women aren't interested in gaming, but that's not true for all women - just look at me, for example! These days gamers are split pretty evenly between men and women.

My main suggestion is to find out what you want to do in life. Nobody's attracted to people who just sit around all day. For example, if you're into gaming, how about looking into work as a videogame tester? Any game development studios in your area?
 artsyGeekette

Need some Advice and Profile Pointers, and help. Thanks
Posted: 9/18/2012 11:34:15 AM
Currently, you don't have a single photo that shows your whole head, face-on. Post one up and set it as your main pic.
Unemployed and out of school doesn't usually go over well. What are your plans for the future? Any goals you're working towards? Add those to your profile.

You don't have a lot on your profile that lends itself well to shared activities, so expand a bit on your interests and hobbies. For example, you mention you're a gamer - what games do you play? You sing - ever go out for Karaoke?
 artsyGeekette

Onest, Critical Review Much Appreciated
Posted: 9/18/2012 11:17:47 AM
I think your third photo is the most flattering and engaging. Try using that as your main pic.

There's a few typos in your profile that could stand to be picked, and that last paragraph puts me off. You say you don't like being labelled, and then here you are proudly claiming you live up to certain stereotypes. I think you could probably stand to replace some of the part about labelling, etc, with more about who you are, your interests, and how you like to spend your time when you're not working.
 artsyGeekette
Msg: 21 (view)

should i hold back?
Posted: 6/28/2012 1:05:40 PM
If you're interested, message them. What's the worst that can happen? They delete your message without replying. So what? You'd be no worse off than if you hadn't messaged them at all.
 artsygeekette

Is my profile ok?
Posted: 6/6/2012 12:38:37 PM
Your primary photo is overexposed. Try to find one where we can see your whole face and you're not too washed out.

Use proper grammar.

Your first paragraph is pretty negative in tone, and there's nothing listed about who you are, what your interests and hobbies are: things that a woman who's interested could use to spark a conversation.
 artsygeekette
Msg: 3 (view)

May I get anyone opinion for profile review?
Posted: 6/6/2012 11:54:56 AM
Most of your photos look like they were taken when you were having a bad day. Smile! Post one that was taken when you were goofing around and having fun! I like that you posted an example of your art.

Your profile text was 2 pages when I copied it into Word - a lot to read in a profile. I'd suggest revising it down to one page. Try to find more concise ways of saying things.

There are a few things that I'd cut:
"I'm a virgin by choice" - The right girl isn't going to care one way or the other. The rest of your profile definitely demonstrates you're about more than just looks/sex, so I think this is a bit redundant. It sounds like you're trying to justify yourself. You should never have to justify your life choices. You've also got this in twice, so even if you don't want to remove it entirely, one of these paragraphs can go.

"Not really picky when it comes to dating/relationships" - If a woman gets the impression that just anyone who will give you the time will do, then it doesn't really help them feel like they're special to you. The paragraph itself is a nice sentiment, but could stand to be re-written.

"it's hand drawn not render copy an paste on a tablet" As a digital artist, this is where you've completely turned me off. If black-and-white pencil or charcoal or whatever is your medium, then that's awesome. You don't need to justify yourself by insulting another medium. Besides, there's a lot more to digital art then copy-and-paste. I'd also take out the reference to hentai as it generally has negative connotations. That’s something to save for when you get to know the person better.

"is no public transit cause Raynham is gay" Don't use the word 'gay' as an insult.

There are a few grammar issues throughout, so be sure to proofread your profile before you update it.

Show ALL Forums