Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Freedom of Speech?
 ed bear
Msg: 220 (view)

Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 3/29/2016 6:13:49 AM
This applies there as well, caballerosiempre. Just hasn't been on topic. One could list endless cases, frequently with groups swapping power and still having all the empathy of a D0uche.

How does everyone feel about the "judgemental maps?" Our local news showed one of the three provided for Vancouver. They impose a world cloud of stereotypes on a neighbourhood map of the town. Dozens of other towns have received the same treatment, too.

Is it art? Is it social commentary? Is it racist (only some of the labels can be considered race-related, but would it be even worse to delete them? Is it consciousness-raising? legitimate black(-ish?) humor? Does it make us think? Does it make us want to not think?

And should it be suppressed?
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 213 (view)

Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 3/24/2016 3:41:25 PM
I just know I'll be wallowing into the Big Muddy if I say ANYTHING on a thread like this, but...

Zionists have no interest in making jews out of palestinians. They just want to be the permanently controlling Top Dogs in the "national homeland" they control, and their historical attempts to preserve a patina of fairness and equality have always shriveled away when it comes to preserving that dominance.

And the Islamic State mother-rapers feel the same about the territory THEY control. That's why they're killing everyone not fitting their particular membership profile.
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 102 (view)

Should I simply give up on dating?
Posted: 3/23/2016 9:10:50 AM
I don't know that not trying helps. People I know who go through long periods alone tend to go through cycles:

A. "I'm gonna get out there agressively!"
B. "I'm just going to wait for something to happen."
C. "I give up I'm gonna be a hermit."

[repeat until too depressed]

ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 4 (view)

Why no Never Been In Relationship option
Posted: 3/22/2016 9:05:00 AM
Is that your house in the photo with your car? :)
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 20 (view)

Guys who assume...
Posted: 3/22/2016 9:03:20 AM
I wouldn't ever assume that someone didn't want a relationship just because their idea of a relationship included touching, feeling and the like.
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 74 (view)

Found dead, eaten by cats
Posted: 3/22/2016 8:44:02 AM
B Hasenpfeffer: I have never seen a cat try to eat one of their dead confreres, and I have known many cats and seen their passings over the years. I already depicted my friend's cat's reaction to his companion's death: a brief sniffing, then ignoring the body.

Cats are apex carnivores and prefer to kill their own meals; they avoid carrion as far as possible. Cats will join other cats to share kills, but will only eat carrion in desperate circumstances - certainly not when well-fed housepets.
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 86 (view)

Should I simply give up on dating?
Posted: 3/13/2016 1:24:05 AM
The sad reality is that most guys who can't get date or form relationships are not going to be able to find anyone willing to have random sex with them either.

AIR DOLL is a wonderful film by Kore-Eda, in which an inflatable pleasure doll in Tokyo suddenly comes to life - as a beautiful, human-seeming blow-up doll. She then gets a very unusual look at the Great Existential Questions from a slightly different viewpoint.

Discussing the classic with a cinema friend two days ago left me with a memory that prompts me to note another important difference between a real, live woman and a manufactured simulacrum: real women clean themselves up after.

ED BEAR (where's that running-away icon when I need it?)
 ed bear
Msg: 49 (view)

He throws and says mean things when he is mad
Posted: 3/13/2016 1:11:25 AM
If you don't feel safe, go somewhere safe.

If you really think something is making him "not he guy you know," you can consider seeking help from some agency or trusted person. But don't stay where you don't feel safe.

If he's ever hurt anyone before, it's an extra warning.
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 343 (view)

Planned parent hood selling off fetus parts
Posted: 3/13/2016 12:51:41 AM
Deetristate: I do not argue that having married parents, or at least common-law parents, does not provide a better (healthier, safer, enriched) life for a child.

Dee: "I would venture to guess that in ten percent or less of the "unplanned pregnancies" that the act was unplanned or without consent, at least in the West."

Are you saying that the SEX act, or the IMPREGNATION, was unplanned? Planning the sex act is not the same as planning to impregnate or get impregnated. You are once again deliberately equating them. Deciding to have sex is not the same as deciding to have children. This is why I observe that you consider parenthood as the just desserts of sex. I.e., "punishment."

Drug costs are a critical problem for a great many people in America. I would hope that most men would participate in funding birth control for their partners (though somehow I doubt it), be it barrier or hormonal, but in my (Canadian) experience all the women I know have been able to get their monthly pill contraceptive packs for $1 each at community clinics or school health professionals. I have not looked into Canadian retail prices for them in years - can someone else help us here?

In the US, Planned Parenthood is the most prominent option for women not registered in schools, and with luck and lawsuits most health plans should cover the costs, too. Anyone know what costs are at PP and other community clinics in their area?

ALL: I certainly see the threat to social stability that biased gender-selection makes. Men are demonstratively more prone to violence, and if they are all going to fight over a smaller pool of women, it doesn't bode well for world peace - or respect of a woman's right to say "N0!"

ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 2 (view)

New Uploader Won't Work for me
Posted: 3/13/2016 12:30:47 AM
Nobody else having trouble? Anyone using Linux out there?
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 85 (view)

Think before you post?
Posted: 3/10/2016 1:38:30 AM
In times like these, Snopes can be your only friend.
ED BEAR
 ed bear

An interesting conundrum
Posted: 3/10/2016 1:32:06 AM
The sudden thirst for pipeline projects is because, in a time of low oil prices, nobody's drilling new wells. The existing wells are still producing, but all the people involved in construction and exploration - drillers, derrek-builders, pipeline-layers, upgraders and the lot - can do construction on pipelines while hoping the oil price will recover.

We have lots of pipelines and, overall, very few problems. We know how to do this. But if we build them, will they come for our expensive oil?
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 341 (view)

Nobody has proven the lying attacks on Planned Parenthood
Posted: 3/10/2016 1:15:58 AM
I'm not saying anything about immigration or distribution. There is a limit, somewhere, to how many people can live decently on the earth, given our current and possible levels of tech. It's world-wide.

Malthus said that plague, war and famine would limit population if people didn't. People didn't.

In the last century, we learned how to extract ever more energy and food from the earth. But we ran into other limits, of dumping waste and changing our seas and atmosphere. There are always limits somewhere. And the less fortunate regions of the planet are wanting to improve their lot, not make sacrifices.

How much are you willing to sacrifice? What do you think other people should sacrifice?
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 3 (view)

Images - Really, something's changed!
Posted: 2/23/2016 11:26:26 PM
But it hasn't been answered for the new uploader... by this I mean since there were two uploaders, a Flash and a non-Flash one.

I've been here since 2016, and never had problems uploading until this week, with the exact same image files I've used before.
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 15 (view)

Kissing Ladies on the Hand?
Posted: 2/23/2016 11:18:39 PM
I've kissed hands quite often. Seriously. With all sorts of women of all ages.

It's a nice way of showing respect or even affection that, for most people, stops short of "invading personal space." There's corny anachronistic humour in it as well as evidence you're not dismissing someone as unworthy just because you don't make a move on them. It's hard for anyone to get outraged while they're laughing and feeling complimented. It works on the mothers of dates, on the partners of friends you don't want to feel they're only there because their partner is, and as an ice-breaker.

Does anyone remember my "Wash your hands" story? ;)
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 27 (view)

An interesting question
Posted: 2/23/2016 11:13:12 PM
As a Canadian born in Eastern Canada in the 1950s, a time and place where circumcision was pretty routine, I can say that...

I certainly am not comfortable with irrevocable choices being made for children... but parents DO have the right and responsibility to make choices for children incapable of them. Ergo, cleanliness, vaccination, education, dietary choices, medical treatment, clothing, hairstyles...

A certainly consider that religion "a lot of hoo-hah."

But I am still danged glad my parents chose to circumcise me!
ED BEAR

It even smells better that way.
 ed bear
Msg: 5 (view)

Youth for Wallace
Posted: 2/23/2016 11:07:35 PM
George Wallace recanted, renounced and denounced racial segregation and identity politics, and died a very changed man from the angry hater he became famous as.
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 2 (view)

An interesting conundrum
Posted: 2/23/2016 11:00:33 PM
OPEC was created, in fact, for just such a purpose - to keep competitors out of the market by pushing down prices when they try to enter the market. It's NOT free-market capitalism; it's monopolistic cartel manipulation.

Ever noticed how American towns with an oil refinery have HIGHER prices than those that don't? It's because the advantage of the local refiner keeps competitors out of the market. If they try to come in, they can't beat the local price because they have transport costs, and the local producer can keep making money while they go broke. So they don't enter the market.

This happens when one or a few firms take over and buy out whole industries, as with Amazon and Google, with enough money to wipe out any competition.

It's why Air Canada - freshly privatized with a $900 million bank account - could wipe out Canadian Airlines, which had been bought by Pacific Western Airlines in a hugely leveraged deal that saddled them with debt costs instead of cash reserves. And why Canadian Airlines was so stupid to launch a price war with Air Canada.

It's why Elon Musk, with all his PayPal riches, could create Uber, and try to run every taxi company in the world out of business. When that happens, such companies can then raise prices, secure in the knowledge that nobody will enter a market dominated by a company that can out-wait them all while losing lots of money.

And it's why western capitalist countries have (or had, in the case of the US) have anti-trust and competition laws. There is no free market without the basic qualities of a free market: enough competitors, easy entry into the market for both sellers and buyers, easy changing of suppliers, and so on.

See: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_Competition

A monopoly, or a cartel like OPEC, prevents competition and enriches its participants.
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 164 (view)

Absolutely there is a Gravity Wave.
Posted: 2/23/2016 10:43:51 PM
Funchest: A SQUARE is a PLANE figure. It is defined as existing in a plane. The surface of a piece of paper is not a plane figure; it's not a square, except in everyday approximation. (Or a rectangle, round coaster, or Green Bay Cheesehead hat.)

To amplify on Norwegian Guy said, nothing in the real world is a square - any more than a wire is a line or a dot is a point. A square - a perfect square - does exist, but as a conceptual object. One can easily visualize the set of points in a square - if one has a "flat" orthogonal 3-space. Our everyday 3-space is, if Einstein & co. are correct, not flat; it is distorted by gravity and - yes, here it comes - gravity waves. (See, I'm not off-topic!)

There are all manner of non-plane surfaces, such as spheres, saddles and pseudospheres, that are truly two-dimensional but not flat. Torii, too, for that matter, cylinders, prisms, polyhedrons, whatever. There are no "squares" on a non-plane surface.

A space (such as a zero-dimensional point, a 1-dimensional line, a two-dimensional surface, or a 3-dimensional 3-D space) is classified by how many dimensions must be supplied to specify any arbitrary point in that space.

One needs so dimensions to specify a point in a point. There is only one point.

One needs two non-parallel dimensions (X and Y, for example, or direction and distance from an origin) to specify any point in 2-space.

One needs three non-parallel dimensions to specify any point in 3-space. And so on for 4-dimensional space-time, or any higher-dimensional space, such as the proper fuel/air mix in an engine fuel-injection map depending on 4 or more input parameters. (Say, throttle setting, air temperature, fuel temperature, engine temperature, atmospheric pressure, turbo pressure, transmission gear, exhaust gas oxygen content, and so on...)

Where fractals come into it is that some consider a fractal - which fills a specific fraction of a plane or 3-space - can specify much of a higher dimension. A particular curve can be treated as having a dimensionality of, say, 1.2.

For example, it takes two dimensions to specify any point in a plane - but a fractal that is known to fill 1/3 of the plane can specify all of the points along it (and that's 1/3 of the total number of points in a place) with only one dimension plus the information contained in the fractal's configuration. We can't get to any point in a city by following only bus routes, but a significant proportion of those points CAN be reached, and we can walk or taxi to the remaining points relatively easily.

ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 76 (view)

Think before you post?
Posted: 2/23/2016 10:26:58 PM
FGRN: I am a Canadian, 62 years old. I've visited nine of ten provinces and spent time in thirty-seven of fifty states. I get to watch Canadian and US news, read all manner of literature and talk to people on endless forums, even before there was in internet, let alone the weeb. Learning knows no borders unless you lock your TV set on one channel. I've had a US Senator stuff one of those mini-constitutions they always carry into my jacket pocket after a lengthy discussion, as they always do. I've taken courses on political science and political philosophy, and listened to a lot of ideas. Some of my high-school teachers came back from civil rights marches in the US south with broken bones. Some of my college contacts never came back from overseas trouble spots. And I've read literally thousands of books, plus assorted other magazines and news stories.

I went to a large, well-respected university where a quarter of the students were from Other Places, and mixed with and explored the world with them. (Grad photo on my profile page for reference. If you know the colors, you can guess the school.

I certainly don't know everything about everything, but I haven't kept my eyes and ears closed all these years. I don't think I can be dismissed as an ignorant foreigner. I DO believe in acquiring common values and respect; I think that the creation of ghettos is not a workable form of "multiculturalism"; it depends on NOT segregating people. Contact brings acceptance and appreciation.

There's been plenty of philosophical analysis about the changes from tribal to humanist alignment. I am not on your side about racial identity.

And, yes, I am straying from reason into humour when I say that you feel isolated in today's world because you are, unlike most US citizens, a dinosaur.
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 32 (view)

STOP THE HATE ; SEPARATE !!!!
Posted: 2/23/2016 10:07:49 PM
Segregated areas, Vlad, are not "diverse." They are, more or less, ghettos, and reinforce ideas of stereotypes. Is there de facto segregation there? Yes. Is it a good thing? No, in my opinion.

I don't think the UK has the same regional differences as Canada or the US; the Isles are much more compact, in size and in media availability. That is, much of the US and Canada never see anyone different from themselves, even on TV.

FGRN83: the very idea of cultural identity is buggered. Once you accept it, all manner of hate can "rationally" follow. But one can draw lines of identity anywhere, usually where convenient for self-interest. I reject it; I see people as "like me" or "unlike me" on an individual judgment, not broad-brush labels. If I don't know anything about someone, I try to avoid judging them by crude classifications.

ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 337 (view)

Nobody has proven the lying attacks on Planned Parenthood
Posted: 2/23/2016 10:00:01 PM
Now you're just twisting my words, over and over.

I'm not feeling sorry about Africa; I'm feeling alarmed that you think overpopulation in Africa won't harm the entire world, not just Africa. It's not a distribution problem - unless you plan to "distribute" the excess waste and CO2 all in Africa, where it won't stay. And it will make people mad at you for dumping it all on them.

No matter how much we do without, increased population will undo our efforts. Anyone can readily cut most of their consumption and emissions my about 10%. By the time you get to 20%, you're getting serious pushback. And if the population of the world is doubling in 20-25 years, that means HALVING our standard of living (or doubling every sort of efficiency) every 20-25 years. Good luck.

And I'm not saying that children are a bad thing; I'm saying that there's no reason that having sex should require marriage or parenting. You are saying that children are the deserved consequences (and thus a threat of punishment) of having sex. You keep deliberately repeating your distortions, but I think everyone else knows what I am saying.

There's nothing noble about having an abortion. There's nothing noble about having kids you can't love or care for.

ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 15 (view)

Did I blow my chances with this girl? Does she hate me for what I did or said. Is it fixable?
Posted: 2/22/2016 6:43:29 AM
*** WARNING ***

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GET ANYONE ELSE A PHONE UNLESS THE ACCOUNT IS IN THEIR NAME!

Otherwise you will face endless charges, particularly overseas ones (international student, eh?), forever. And the cost of the contract until it ends.

NEVER give ANYONE authority to spend your money. They will, and then you will want it back, and they will laugh and be cruel.
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 1 (view)

New Uploader Won't Work for me
Posted: 2/22/2016 6:00:57 AM
I've been a longtime user at PoF, and had seven photos up until tonight. I always used the Basic Uploader, rather than the Flash uploader, because I won't put Flash on my computer. I'm running Ubuntu Linux, by the way.

I was able to delete one photo, but not upload any new ones. I tried with two JPEGs, several times. They were prepared with GIMP, from digital photos, as have all my previous photos. Uploading one of my older images also failed. I WAS able to designate a new Main Image from the existing ones in the system.

The Imaged Upload page now shows only "UPLOAD IMAGES" or "FROM FACEBOOK" buttons. Not being a FaceBooker, I chose the former, and a window popped up asking me to designate an image. Each time, I did.

The screen dimmed a bit and a small ring appeared in the centre of the screen, fading from aqua to white around it but NOT rotating as "wait" icons usually do. And that was that. My computer didn't lock up - other tabs let me navigate PoF - but nothing got uploaded.

I don't know when the uploader was changed. Do others see the little ring rotating? Has anyone else had problems?

UPDATE: I also tried uploading with a friend's Windows XP machine; exact same result, down to the immobile half-aqua ring on a dimmed screen.
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 7 (view)

Added as a friend, hit wrong link, now I can't find the user?!?!?
Posted: 2/22/2016 3:43:41 AM
Tam0315 - If you have a message from or to the user, you can see them, even by searching for their name.

If you are their favourite, or they are yours, you can see them.

If they are a forum user, forum users can link from their forum posts.
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 13 (view)

Advertising trashy websites
Posted: 2/22/2016 3:34:47 AM
If you don't like other people making the decisions about what you see, you can "roll your own" HOSTS file to block selected content. When you see something you don't want to see, or that causes problems for your computer:

Hold your cursor over the offending image or link.

Note the URL in the lower left corner of your browser window (that's where it will be in most browsers).

Add that URL to your HOSTS file.

It's GOOOONNNNEEEEE!

If you want a good start on most of the worst ad sources, there's a basic skeleton HOSTS file at pglDOTyoyoDOTorg - replace the DOT with periods and Bob's your uncle. (If you have an uncle named Bob.) They also explain how to find, use and maintain your HOSTS file.

This way, you can still let sites you like earn some money but protect yourself from Flash, trojans, videos and the rest from the scummier side of the web. Which is most of it, sadly.
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 27 (view)

STOP THE HATE ; SEPARATE !!!!
Posted: 2/22/2016 3:18:22 AM
FGRN83, that 35% is not physically separated from the rest of the country. Except for the French-speaking province of Quebec, perhaps, but even there separation sentiment has never triumphed. Quebec is also the most left-wing and tolerant region of Canada.

It's the same in the US - there aren't "red states" and "blue states" - the division is between areas that have received and accepted in-migrants (both from outside and from other parts of the US) and those that have. Cities and places of economic prosperity tend to attract new people, and become diverse and tolerant because they have seen good and bad in everyone. Rural areas where land ownership is crucial, and areas with poor economies, do not attract many new people. There, the citizens rarely if ever see anyone different from their local ideas of "normal" except perhaps on TV, where they always seem to be criminals or terrorists. Or punching bags for police forces, pimps and drug sealers.

The more uniform a society is, the less tolerant it is. If you lived in a white christian world you would have little opportunity to disagree with or practice habits other than dictated by leaders of that very organized ilk.
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 157 (view)

Absolutely there is a Gravity Wave.
Posted: 2/22/2016 3:07:33 AM
I repeat, Funchest - the surface of a piece of paper is a surface, a 2-D surface, but it is not a PLANE. It's not a FLAT surface. That's why it can's completely vanish when viewed from an edge; all the points on the surface (the surface where paper stops and air starts) are not lined up in one plane.
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 26 (view)

Feel the Bern! (and Elizabeth?)
Posted: 2/22/2016 3:01:38 AM
The US constitution balanced the north/south power split by declaring that, electorally, five negroes would equal three whites. If whites aren't part of America, then why were all those dark-skinned folk included in the constitution, however unfairly counted?

The differences between an old white man in Arizona and one in Massachusetts are far greater than those between blacks and whites in Ohio.
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 335 (view)

Nobody has "proven" the lying attacks on Planned Parenthood
Posted: 2/22/2016 2:52:52 AM
No, I didn't say that having children is punishment. I said that treating children as "deserved consequences" of having sex is treating sex as punishment.

Overpopulation is a global problem - because we all share the same resources. People in Africa still create CO2, consume energy and other resources. Saying it's not a problem if is only happens to other people is cruel, selfish foolishness.

There has never, ever been any debunking of the population problem by ANYONE, not since the days of Thomas Malthus. We CAN produce more food, or mor energy, or whatever we need... but with population doubling every 20-25 years, there is NO WAY we can make headway against the other problems of overpopulation. Waste buildup, resource destruction, global warming, food and water contamination, lack of opportunity, lack of housing, and all the rest can only be solved if we can stop human population growth from undoing all our efforts.

And anyone who has given up on population control has zero motivation to care or act in defense of humanity's future. They might as well just burn, baby, burn that coal, poop in the river and flush all manner of poisons into the sewers too.
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 21 (view)

Feel the Bern! (and Elizabeth?)
Posted: 2/18/2016 3:45:38 AM
Bernie Sanders is targeting the people who remember when their union and their company gave them a decent life.

How he'll do with youngsters who see those days as romantic unreality remains to be seen. Maybe for them it will be the housing collapse that changes their choice of political bedfellows.

In 1960, the US had essentially eliminated hunger in America, and drove poverty to the lowest levels in most living memory. (I was seven, but I remember.) It's been a backslide ever since.

ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 34 (view)

Dating With Deficits
Posted: 2/18/2016 3:37:32 AM
When dealing with dating, being married IS a deficit!
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 22 (view)

Hatin' in 2015: trend or fad?
Posted: 2/18/2016 3:31:42 AM
Trump is just another Putin, a bully who thinks that is something to be proud of.

In last fall's Canadian election, the defeated Conservative party, under Stephen Harper, played the hate card with anti-immigrant/anti-refugee issues and poked sort spots in the way "outsiders" dress. (Like head scarves, face coverings and the like - as if nuns don't look weird enough!) Sadly, his ruse was effective enough in the province of Quebec (my native province) that defending equality got the New Democratic (sortaleftish) party wiped out there. Happily, all those votes went to the same place and got the Liberal party elected, ending Harper's political hegemony in Canada.

Canada has about 35% population embracing identity politics and wanting to keep "others" out of sight, out of mind and out of their society. The fact that this 35% or so can sometimes take over the country is a testament to wedge politics (of which hate-driven wedges are a popular part), and why the US is awash in fear-and-loathing campaigns. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson put it all so well back in "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72," which still bears reading for a good background in US political machination. Or, if for nothing else, for his tale of riding in a limousine with Richard M. Nixon and wondering how to fulfill his human duty to dispose of the politician!

Hatemongering is very successful in politics. Rank-order elections can help defeat it by allowing people to choose where their votes go when they lose.
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 54 (view)

Posted: 2/18/2016 3:03:14 AM
Ouija2025: Actually, I was on the Chinese Meals on Wheels program back then. It was really good. If I have any more surgery, I will seek such a program. A San Franciscan told me (I have not tried to verify it) that the City by the Bay was the first MoW program, and was started by their Chinese community.

Maleman: Cat dreams? Why, yes - Sperry et al used cats in their pioneering sleep experiments in the fifties. They documented the basic stages of sleep we still talk about today, and isolated the nerve that disabled motor output from the brain. Cats in which they severed the nerve would act out their dreams in sleep with full muscular force.
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 332 (view)

Planned parent hood claims are false, proven now.
Posted: 2/18/2016 2:49:04 AM
Deetristate: Planning sex is not the same as planning pregnancy. Saying that people having sex should be planning for childbirth, marriage and child support IS depicting children as punishment for sex - why else should having sex entail child support?

Sex does not inevitably lead to parenthood, and we have ways of making sure. Why would we want to block those options? To force our world to choke under a layer of suffering, dying, fighting, killing, starving humans?

Parenthood is not the inviolable duty of every human.
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 39 (view)

dangers of riding without a helmet
Posted: 2/18/2016 2:36:04 AM
I am older than 35 - almost twice as old - and I know people who died smoking in bed, driving drunk, crossing the street randomly, not following safety instructions on machinery, running stop signs and stop lights, messing with booze and other addictions, and not cleaning out their body orifices. The older one gets, the more proof of those dangers (and the fewer survivors) one sees.

Invulnerability is for the young.
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 147 (view)

Absolutely there is a Gravity dog
Posted: 2/18/2016 2:31:34 AM
Well, we've not gotten very far since my last visit some weeks ago. But there are a few comments I will toss in:

FLMAN: You say that the first commandment of the biblical ten is "Thou shalt not kill." this is not so. The first commandment is, "I am the lord thy god, and thou shalt have no other gods before me."

Christianity consistently puts faith above all else. You can be forgiven anything but not being part of the team. If you aren't part of the team, you can never be part of The Eternal Elect no matter how good your life and works are. Pooty on that.

APRILIKESROSASBLANCAS: (If I don't get all the names right, it's not disrespect - it's late and the timer's running...)

Ah, April, there we go - The Rules. Who gets to make them up, and to judge whether to respect them? It's The Man In The Sky telling us what we must do to serve him. Why?

FUNCHEST: I think a few others have gotten into this, but I'll try to be precise: A sheet of paper is not a 2-D surface, any more than a dot is a point. The SURFACE of a sheet of paper is a 2-D surface - the interface between paper and air - but it is NOT a plane, as it's not precisely flat. It's nearly fractal, but that still counts as 2-D unless we get so fractal that we can identify a large proportion of 3-space points on the 2-D surface because it is so extensively ramified.

NORWEGIANGUY456: More properly, Logic is a branch of Mathematics. Mathematics is a science, not a language; we construct notations and languages to handle dealing with the concepts.

And, most importantly, Mathematics is the only science where, much of the time, we absolutely know for sure that we are right. We don't "know" that gravity waves exist with more than a considered level of certaintly. But each of us knows that his or her self exists - as something that can think - because we demonstrably do.
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 302 (view)

Planned parent hood claims are false, proven now.
Posted: 2/1/2016 8:40:13 AM
If a woman wants a BMW instead of a baby, she's hardly a good maternal candidate.

"How about marrying so that you at least start out with a father?"

Marriage doesn't make much difference in whether men will disappear when faced with parenting.

Lots of mothers think they will still have their man around when the baby comes, only to find they vanish when they learn of the pregnancy. Part of that is that men, unlike women, still have no choice about supporting a child or offering it up for adoption; in fact, men in most of the US can't even ask for custody of a child a woman wants to adopt out. The argument is made that the woman might know the man is a bad bet for a father - but the same can be said for the man thinking the woman unsuited. This is one of the remaining unresolved problems from the sexual and gender revolution.

"As far a single mothers, that sounds like a choice."

Indeed, some women choose to have children on their own. They aren't the ones wanting abortions.

More than half of US babies are unplanned; the vast majority of those are unintended, and some proportion are created where one partner wants a child and the other does not (but is not the one handling birth control).

CHILDREN ARE NOT PUNISHMENT FOR SEX. They don't deserve to be treated that way. There is nothing criminal in not wanting to have children; there is something very wrong in having children and not providing for them.

"extended leave can be a point of discussion or job selection"

And it can thus be an effective barrier to women getting good jobs in many industries.

"Does aborting make poor women less poor?"

Yes. Simply yes.

ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 37 (view)

dangers of riding without a helmet
Posted: 2/1/2016 8:08:15 AM
I haven't been to this thread in a long time, but I have since learned why so many bicyclists have a helmet hanging on their handlebars: the bicycle activists tell them that if they're stopped, the cop will just let them go after they put it on.

Smarten up, cops!
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 5 (view)

Mutual but no response
Posted: 2/1/2016 8:01:05 AM
Could your messages have contained anything that tripped PoF's filters? Try sending one that just says, "Have you been getting my messages? I won't write if you don't want me to," and nothing else. Even a name might trigger message deletion. (Elizabeth Ban|<$ would be wondering where her messages went, too.)
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 12 (view)

Circumcision
Posted: 2/1/2016 7:55:15 AM
Why not just ask, "Hey, do you want to have kids? You do? Are you okay with circumcision?"

After all, parents and siblings are only an indirect guide.
ED BEAR
 ed bear

Exclusionary Racial Preference is an acceptable form of racisim?
Posted: 2/1/2016 7:49:04 AM
Personal choice in friends or lovers... that covers a lot of ground. I'm certainly not comfortable with "I'd never date any XXX," but I'm not ready to call it "unacceptable," though actually SAYING it goes a lot further.

I've never heard of a restaurant wanting only a certain ethnicity to dine there (not counting those bars where nobody has any business being there unless they have business with the guys at the back table), but I can't see it as racist to not want to visit a restaurant with an ethnic menu. I can't stand cheese or coffee, and avoid coffee bars and pizzerias, but avoiding any business because they have XXX employees is both pushing and legitimizing those businesses to discriminate against XXX's. Remember the bar owner in Montreal who said he liked black people just fine, but barred them from his bar because "They don't spend money and bother the women?" Or the North Van bookstore that told black employees not to go where customers might see them? Or the Golf course who only let non-whites work in the kitchen? Or when JAL was revealed to be seating South Asians in the back of their planes because "Their curry smell bothers the others?"

All that's racism, and it's something we can do something about in law and practise. It's harder to come down on people for their choices unless they express them in racial terms.

But think of the shaming of black men in the US who date white women! It happens here in many ethnic communities, too, even among natives. Tribalism is only starting to go away. ISIS is still killing people based on race and sectarianism in our world.

Not feeling obligated to date someone from every category isn't anywhere near that bad. What can you do about preferences? I met a really exceptional black woman I really liked, but she was only willing to date women. Still a great friend, though, to this day. Should I call her "sexist?"
ED BEAR

And I'm still saying that SAYING "No XXX" is Uncool. (My overaged-hippe euphemism for "unacceptable.")
 ed bear
Msg: 9 (view)

Nothern BC Rednecks, sexist attitudes and shovenistic behavior
Posted: 2/1/2016 7:30:59 AM
Trynottobecreepy's answer was not that flippant; if men pay for everything, they get a sense of entitlement that they are owed something. Female equality improved almost everything for women, in my opinion - and I am old enough to remember when women could not serve on juries or vote municipally in many parts of Canada.

There is such as thing as a "feminazi" - but almost all the women I have met just want to be PERSONS.
ED BEAR

The best advice to women I have ever heard: "Become the man you want to marry." Then the man's a luxury, not a necessity, and you don't have to put up with crap.
 ed bear
Msg: 57 (view)

When did men stop bathing?
Posted: 2/1/2016 7:21:04 AM
I'm not ready to drop the ither issue - StupidStubble! Why is is so suddenly omnipresent?

(I haven't found that anyone shows up to meet me, or the reverse, smalling gross, so I'm not going to gross you out with stories of very nice, hygenic women who had to have candida explained to them...)

When I was selecting TV shows to watch for the 2015-6 season, I came to realize that EVERY SHOW had its major characters wearing StupidStubble! And some of the shows I'd already been watching had told many of the male actors to stop shaving over the summer! WHY? I know it's probably a hipster thing (a lot of people seem to blame everything that's wrong with the world on hipsters), but why wouldn't the men's grooming advertisers say something about it?

If I wasn't a twitter-scorner, I'd have started a #StupidStubble campaign to get rid of it long ago. Anyone who wants to take on the task is welcome to the credit, and I'll thank you myself!

BTW, I'm in Canada - have lived in most of the country - and can tell you we have lots of really great water, and use it a lot for washing. :) And it's the water along the Yamaska that's full of pig poo, not the people.
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 41 (view)

Absolutely there is a God.
Posted: 2/1/2016 7:04:28 AM
Science gets things wrong, admits its mistakes and keeps looking. (Though not all scientists do, of course.)

Religion and belief value faith, not doubt, though, and often tell us not to ask. Even so, most believers have crises of conscience at some point in their lives, and Jesus is said to have addressed Doubting Thomas' doubts seriously, with physcial proof: "Stick your hands in my wounds."

Most of the Big Questions have been dealt with by centuries of careful thinkers, believers and non-believers, and they often come to the conclusion that "Some Things Must Be Accepted" or "Existence or Non-Existence of God Makes No Change in the World." Free will, why god feels it necessary to test people, or create bad things, and the like.

But every scientist knows that the Big Bang theory makes no claims about what happened before the Big Bang; it just says that, if one enters a room where everyone is fleeing the centre of the room, someone probably pulled out a gun or dropped a f^rt in the middle. We don't know how they got gathered in the middle of the room, or how they came to exist at all.

Every scientist knows (once they've worked their way through epistemology) that the universe exists, but nobody knows what it exists in, or if it is itself, or if it had a beginning or an end. (Note that the COSMOS as we know it arises from the Big Bang, but that is not the universe, which contains the cosmos.)

As the universe is defined as EVERYTHING THAT EXISTS, we have defined it as not existing in something. But that's a problem with the word, not the world.

In seeking god to explain the creation of the universe, we answer nothing; we simply replace the question "Who or what created the universe?" by "Who or what created god?" If we say that "God has always existed," we may as well accept that "The universe has always existed," and save ourselves a lot of words and worry.

Before anyone starts waving the bible or attacking it, we KNOW who wrote the bible - a bunch of ancient Jews, and the editors (Council of Nicea et al.) who picked and assembled the writings. And a lot of translators and axe-grinders basically telling the world, "That man over there told you not to touch the toys!" There is nothing that can be considered evidence that the bible is revealed and infallible truth, particularly with all the versions and revisions it has engendered.

I was an agnostic for a very long time, but by the time I got to university I realized that:
a) if the existence of god made no difference in my life or the universe, there was no point in believing in it or letting people control my life on its behalf.
b) it was necessary to twist my mind into complex knots and improbabilities to fit god into the universe, and produced no detectable improvement in my life or the universe's.

Today, I can honestly say I can't prove that there is no god, or that he didn't create the universe. But the edifice built upon theism is self-serving and unfalsifiable; arguing further is frustrating, and in any case even most theists acknowledge that god may exist but not as anything that steers our life.

I don't need to spend much of my time belabouring this, because it has absolutely no effect on my life of the universe, and there is ample evidence that most (but not provably all) arguments for religion are efforts to turn me into a tool by someone else.

Unlike our Original Poster, I find no difficulty seeing that Murphy's law, in its general sense, applies here. Now, there WAS a real Murphy, and he was an engineer, and he taught that "If you design a cable that can be plugged in the wrong say, sooner or later someone is going to plug it in the wrong way."

The full mathematical sense of this is: "The probability of any even with a non-zero finite probability occurring approaches unity (one, or certainty) as the amount of time increases to infinity."

The meaning of this is: The universe is so immense, and so full of particles, stars, gases, forces, beings and (add everything that we know to exist, but not god) that, given enough time, it is VERY probable - indeed, almost certain - that the improbable universe we perceive could develop. That is has a non-zero finite probability of occurring is... well, it HAS occurred! We only need the one example to know that. Did it come to exist by action of a creator? We completely lack such evidence. We don't even have one example of a god existing, or a consistent idea of how one could exist.

And if we did, we still wouldn't know what created it.

If anyone can't accept that chance and time and many, many, many, (...) many, many instances over endless aeons make almost anything probable, one is free to believe in god.

Just don't expect me to not touch the toys because you say so.
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 43 (view)

Posted: 2/1/2016 6:30:44 AM
My longest love, now 25 years estranged, spoke regularly of her fear of being eaten by her cats if she died. But they were the sweetest things, really, and she outlived both of them. When one died, the other did not attempt to eat him. (They were both neutered males, with widely divergent personalities.)

She said that the survivor walked over to the deceased, took a look and a sniff, and walked away and ignored him until she had calmed down enough to pick up her lost friend and start trying to find what to do with him. Her previous cat had died at the vet's, so she didn't have the issue.

And these were cats who were friends since kittenhood, who would sit and wail at the door if one got out or was away at the vet alone. They spent most of their time snuggled up or playing together.

Now, a quarter-century later, 3500 miles from my former home town, and with no family left in the country, it's a real worry for me. I don't have any pets to try to wake me to feed them, and I don't think that fern is going to call anyone. I do know one of our posties, but that one's only on twice a week.

There was a time when clients would call me in a panic day and night, only to be reminded that emergencies with less than 24 hours notice were billed at double rate. Amazing how that really clarified the meaning of "emergency" for most of them. But now I'm mostly retired, and there's nobody I see on a daily basis. And calling other people in the era of Caller ID and general abuse of communications makes it hard for me to reach anyone most of the time!

I wish I could still get Meals on Wheels, as I did for six months after a surgery in 2003. They expect you to cancel or be there to answer the door!

Thanks for all the worries, folks. ...
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 14 (view)

Elderly dating advice
Posted: 2/1/2016 6:16:13 AM
Bunz34, you're not going to last long here with that flagrantly shirtless (forbidden) image.

And I see another user in this thread covering their face in the image..

CAVEAT: They have have changed their photos, or had some deleted, by the time you see my post.
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 9 (view)

What is Intimacy
Posted: 2/1/2016 5:46:08 AM
I was a bit (only a bit - I'm 62!) shocked after a friend and PoF regular I've known in Vancouver for about five years told me about the new flame she'd just found. "What can you tell me about him?" I asked, as the last few she's told me about turned out pretty scummy.

She replied - I am not making this up - "Two Coke cans taped end-to-end!"

They're still dating, but it's been really hard to get her on the phone since then.
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 12 (view)

The run around...
Posted: 2/1/2016 5:19:51 AM
Oddly, I've never actually been stood up on a PoF-initiated date that wasn't canceled ahead of time, though I've been directed to several locations after arriving at each one on one occasion! (The woman eventually showed up, with two friends, and led us to a Boston Pizza for tea. Boston Pizza for tea? In Richmond?)

On the other hand, quite a few women have told me it is their standard practise to show up late, identify their date, and take off if they don't like what they see. At least it beats the old dine, "go to the bathroom" and vanish on the bill... never had that done to me, though twice I had almost given up - the women didn't emerge from the washroom until they saw I had paid the bill. In both cases, I told them I thought they had skipped out on me, but only one offered to pay her share.

Hey, nice is nice, not nice isn't. This is how we learn about people. Also why parties with friends are my favourite meeting place - your friends can warn you - and also the women. Fair is fair, right?
ED BEAR
 ed bear
Msg: 46 (view)

don't know if he's going, but he sure is coming
Posted: 10/4/2014 11:11:26 AM
You're welcome, Lilliputtian. It's not an easy one to pronounce for an English speaker, taken as it is from Eastern-European Slavic languages.
ED BEAR

Show ALL Forums