Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: First Message -Original, or Cut & Paste?
 cowtrucker
Msg: 53 (view)

First Message -Original, or Cut & Paste?
Posted: 1/4/2012 10:35:21 AM
To me, if a message looks like it came out of a box, it really makes me wonder about the person that sent it. Several things go through my mind... 1) They are desperate, 2) if they don't consider me to be worth the time in creating a message, then to me, they are not worth the time responding, 3) Without sounding redundant, it says that the person cuts corners or cheats (like on a test.) 4) I don't feel special.

I would like to think that each individual is unique in their own way. Although I can see someone sending a few things as a blanket message (such as "hi my name is. I saw your profile and ..... etc.), but to really captivate the reader, one must contribute something to the conversation.

A lot of times people will view the profile, before they read the message. In that case, you may consider reviewing your profile, or even having a friend (of the opposite sex) review it for you. Or, I know there is a 'Profile Review' section in the forums. If a person reads your profile, and it's bleak, or it doesn't do a sufficient job of describing who you are, then the reader may feel that they have nothing in common with you, and may choose to simply delete the email.

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 41 (view)

Text Pests
Posted: 8/1/2010 5:07:23 PM
I usually try to establish some kind of ground rules when I first exchange phone numbers. With a friend, or a potential b/f.

It depends on who the person is, and how they fit into my life, that necessitates whether they should be texting every 2 minutes, or every 10 minutes... Some people I like to hear from on a more frequent basis, as it brightens my day, or positively distracts me, and others, it just plain irks me when they text if I'm working or sleeping.

Perhaps when you initially give a person your number, you can inform them when it is/is not appropriate to text. If you're getting to know someone, it's always best to have them put their best foot forward, and see where it goes from there.

That might save Mr. Right from making a jerk out of himself before he can swoon you, and it might keep some of the misery at bay...

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 52 (view)

Dogs and relationships
Posted: 8/1/2010 4:27:40 PM
OP, now that depends if you even LIKE dogs. In reading your post, I get the notion that you don't. I own a dog, in fact, there was a time I had over 5 dogs. Very rarely did they crimp my style, or cause problems, and when they did, it was handled. Big dogs, went outside, tiny little pocket puppy and plastic dog house went with me...

In your post it seems you are getting from "Hello, my name is..." to "Let's shack up for the weekend, ditch the responsibility..." Perhaps you can work your way into it slowly?

I have dogs that would eat powder puff dogs, but that hasn't prevented me from having friends with other dogs, large or small, and even friends with cats to visit. If I go away for a weekend, I can have a friend check on my big dog, at a moments notice, and as for the pocket puppy, she went everywhere I did. Even my non-dog liking friends accepted my dogs. But I made them less of a burden. They did take advantage of the few minutes when I was outside toileting the dog, to toilet themselves, without making it obvious...

Perhaps if you might accommodate the dog, that might open your pool of daters. If you have a garage, or space for a kennel to be placed for a couple of days, or even a laundry room or back yard. Those will allow the perspective to bring her dog with, care for it, and lesson the worry for her to return home sooner. Thus, giving you both the chance to get to know each other more.

I did date a guy once that absolutely HATED dogs (and cats, and anything with 4 legs, fur, or feathers, that couldn't feed or toilet itself,) and yet even with Big and little dogs, and their plastic houses, he wasn't as inconvenienced or bothered when I would come by for a day or two, and of course, bring my ... Dog...

There are always options... First you need to decide that if you end up getting serious with a gal who has a dog, will that bother you in the long run. After the house-holds merge, and you are living together, etc. Is that dog, going to drive you up the wall, or will you accept it and possibly enjoy it...?

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 11 (view)

The SO's ex tried to start something on Facebook
Posted: 8/1/2010 3:43:52 PM
OP, I think you did the right thing by NOT giving her the satisfaction of a reply. Just like a fire, if you take away all the fuel, you're left with nothing.

Enjoy the time with your S/O, and his daughter, but don't feel the need to give into the drama. If the daughter is old enough to use FB, she is old enough to understand games.

Seeing as the child's mother isn't putting forth a good image, at least be the bigger person, and show the child that games are not worth it. Something tells me this wont be the last time, and even if it's not you, the mother will continue to do this until she gets her way each and every time.

You get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar, and keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer...

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 19 (view)

What if mister/misses right smokes?
Posted: 8/1/2010 3:34:14 PM
My Mr. Right wouldn't smoke. That's part of him being "Mr. Right." If anything on the list wasn't quite right, then he would be Mr. Almost Right.... or even Mr. Sorta Close...

And yes, in life, when someone lights up a cigarette during that initial "Wow" conversation, the quickly get filed to the "Oh Nevermind" category. Even something small at first, will eventually turn into something big later on.

Quitting isn't easy, and takes a lot more than just a reason... If they are going to impress me, then they have to have their ducks in a row before they even try. And no, smoking isn't the only issue or thing I stand rigid on.

"If I see you smoking, I will assume that you are on fire, and take appropriate precautions..."

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker

Truck drivers
Posted: 8/1/2010 3:15:00 PM
re: OnDMove... :
"Wow... In reading the responses, kinda makes me, as a Trucking Company Owner, want to run and hide under a rock..."

Do you pay your drivers what they are worth?
Do you treat them like humans?
Do you have a 175% turn over rate?
Would your drivers recommend your company to other potential drivers?
If you answered yes to those questions then you are in the bottom 1% in this industry because most other smaller logistics companys are now gone!
I started driving a roll back for a building material supply company hauling trusses making $12 an hour and then the housing market crashed. How do you think that went?
I now drive for a retail chain as a dedicated driver. I'm home most nights, which is great, I average 2000 miles a week at .32 a mile. 4th year, Clean DAC, No tickets. I've never put a scratch on a truck or a trailer.Yup. I'm really rakin, in the cash!

Another year has passed, I own 3 trucks personally, and am still on the up & up. In regards to your questions? Although I've already answered them, I will pretend I haven't, and give updated answers...

1) I pay my drivers well. Sure everyone wants the most money for their time, but you have to have a cap somewhere. My drivers have never complained about their rates or wages. But then again, how does another person decide what another is worth? I put a price on what the job is worth to me, if you like it great, if not, that's great too.

2) They are treated well. I treat them like owner-operators, except for the fact that my name is on the title of their trucks. They take their trucks home, decide when they want to go home, and for how long. And if they are by the ranch and want some time off, they stay in my spare room, graze from my fridge, and enjoy the amazingly hot water in my shower. Sounds like family to me...

3) I am lucky not to have much of a turn-over rate at all. My lease-ons come and go as they choose. Not necessarily due to rates/wages, and treatment, but mostly due to family, and their own personal reasons. In the past 2 years, I've only let go of one driver, and that was due to his own health reasons. (he couldnt qualify for a renewal on his medical card due to his blood pressure.)

I don't haul the traditional boxed freight. Never have, never will. I turned down some loads of Hay this weekend, and the farmer was willing to provide the trailer as well. I don't haul cheap loads, and don't steal other people's loads.

I got my reputation from knowing my job, and not wavering, rather than cutting rates, and hiring anyone with a heart beat. I spent 233 days on the road last year, which included visits to friends, days off, days driving, and any day I was anywhere near my truck, even the 15 miles to the car wash.

Although trucking isn't for every one, I can't honestly think of any one job or industry that is. Thats the beauty of it. Find your niche, and then stick to it...

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 14 (view)

Would-Be Soldiers Too Fat to Serve
Posted: 8/1/2010 2:22:56 PM
Interesting... When I was in the Army in 1996, I actually had to GAIN weight in order to meet restrictions. I was doing like everyone else.. Eating everything in sight, and then some. "You want that biscuit? Mind if I have it?"

I'm not exactly sure how to solve the obesity problem in America, but it's definitely an issue. Some if it stems from unhealthy eating or lack of exercising habits, but some of it stems from the things we put in our food. The growth hormones in meat, and veggies, fertilizers, and even GMO grains and such.

Keeping slim is not always an easy thing. I monitor my food consumption as well as exercise. I eat bigger meals in the morning before I go to work, and eat smaller lighter meals late at night. I also eat more than three times per day, but usually nothing more than the standard 8 oz size portion of anything.

I'd like to see this country shed some pounds, however I don't see taxing soda pop as a solution... We need to be more pro-active, not consequential...

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 43 (view)

Wearing shorts to a date?
Posted: 8/1/2010 1:36:36 PM
Judging by the description of your date, khaki shorts and a polo shirt would probably be acceptable. Even your sandals, if you are one of those tree-hugging types from the west coast. LOL

There are times and places when shorts are frowned upon, you know, really hairy legs, too short or tight of shorts, or even certain activities.

You can always pack additional clothes in a small handbag if you feel that your date might take a turn, and you wouldn't be properly attired.

I grew up in WA, and my step-dad wore shorts when he was not at work. I never had a problem going hiking, eating, canoeing, or even hitting a bucket of golf balls with him when he had his shorts on.

I'd rather see a guy in shorts, than a guy in long pants with a lot of sweat from enjoying the outdoors on a hot summer day... Perhaps you can ask your date if she feels shorts would be suitable? Women usually have a 6th sense about fashion. LOL

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 40 (view)

Men,Tools and thier obsessions. How much is too much?!
Posted: 8/1/2010 12:44:38 PM
As a single lady, I too have tools, as you say, virtually everywhere in the house. Under the kitchen table, in the living room, under the couch, in my closet, in the truck, etc.

The only reason I have so many stashed in the inappropriate places, is strictly Because I don't have a functional shop, that I can effectively store and secure all my tools. In my old barn, they would get dirty, rusty, damp, and end up being a home to some furry little varmint. So, I keep them inside.

It sounds like your b/f has a few more than I do, but perhaps you can ask him next time you visit, and do so on a positive note, as to 'why' he keeps them there. It could be convenience, lack of a better/safer place, or as you said, he could be a hoarder.

Men and women both need their own little private place to keep their things. Men usually have a shop or garage, and women used to have a sewing room, or now a days, an office.

When two households merge, things have to change. Perhaps you and he can speak of this, and discuss what will happen to the tool boxes and such? If he's ok with a shop or garage, then there you go, otherwise, you may end up having to trip over the boxes and tools.

Being a clean freak isn't so bad. I'm a clean freak, and I have clean tools. The best of both worlds.. LOL

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 29 (view)

Time to call it quits?
Posted: 8/1/2010 12:26:50 PM
Very tough call there. On one hand you've invested time, emotion, and other such things that make up a relationship, but on the other, at some point the decision will solve itself.

I admire you for hanging in there and not giving up on her, however, as an outsider looking in, I can see the sad and lonely road this seems to be taking. I'd like to think about things on the optimistic side, but yet still be rooted to reality.

No one likes confrontation, well, some yes, but the general population runs from it. Perhaps, you may want to ask her point-blank, if she wants to be with you, and/or if she wants to start seeing other people. That should be a simple "Yes, I want to be with you." and "Gosh No, please don't go elsewhere." answer. If the answer is anything different, perhaps you might want to start gathering up your own feelings, and retreat.

Theres no wrong in treading water in hopes that something good comes up, but at least try for some answer.

I still give you kudos for trying, and being understanding. I hope for your sake, its just a passing gray cloud.

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 35 (view)

Dating a Truck Driver
Posted: 8/1/2010 12:16:17 PM
Although this question has been asked and answered many times on here, what's another go-round...?

Being a truck driver isn't one of those icky gross careers, it's a little more challenging than some, but yet rewarding than others.

Each type of driving job is different. There's the OTR guys that stay out months at a time, theres regional guys who are home every couple weeks, and then there are the local guys who are home just about every night.

Some people can change within the industry to find something that best suits themselves and their partner, while others might just as soon change partners, to find something that suits their career.

The only things I've found that are required when dating a driver, are Trust, Understanding, and patience. Communication should also be added to the list.

The trucking industry, as well as the dating game are both way different than they used to be. Best suggestion is to be up front with your schedule, and your plans, and then search from there.

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 6 (view)

What is with all of these girls who want a God Fearing man???
Posted: 9/14/2009 6:43:47 PM
I think I'd rather have a man who fears the IRS rather than God... Honestly don't know what to tell ya OP. I guess some feel that if they put that in their profile, it might act to weed out the bad characters. The only problem, it seems once the 'sinners' go to confession, or ask forgiveness, they go out and do it again...

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 2 (view)

Food Inc.
Posted: 9/13/2009 6:45:09 PM
I live in the Wheat State, where ONE Kansas Farmer Feeds 129 people... It's amazing how people complain about GMO foodstuffs, yet they want the perfect apple, or one acre of cropland that can feed an army.

I do agree, our food system has flaws in it, as we saw from the dealing with anthrax a while back. I wonder how many of you can remember the Cyanide laced Sudafed that ended up killing a bunch of people back in the early 90's was it?

Yes, it's sad to think of how farmers struggle, how you can spend an entire month to cultivate, fertilize, and plant 1,000 acres of wheat, and after investing all that time and money into it, go to bed one night and wake up the next morning with 999 acres damaged by a hail storm that came through in the middle of the night while you were sleeping...

No, the smaller farmers & ranchers, such as myself, don't seem to do very well anymore. I recently had an EX-Banker tell me, that I was foolish for being a rancher and starting from ground zero. He said that the only way anyone makes it in farming or ranching these days, is to have a ton of land passed down from generation to generation, and have a big enough family to work it, without having to hire outside laborers.

Well, I'm fortunate enough that I only 'hobby' ranch, and my trucking company foots the bill for my 'hobby'. Any more, our Crop-Land, is either getting restricted by tree-huggers, or sold in small chunks to developers trying to sell a piece of "Country" to a City-Slicker...

Next time you take a bite of apple, piece of cornbread, hot wing, or Angus-burger from McDump... Thank a Farmer!!!

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 4 (view)

~* Dating & Trucking *~
Posted: 9/12/2009 4:41:11 PM
Dammit Jewels! I bet you've got about as many tales as I do!

That's a good one!!!

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 10 (view)

Truck drivers
Posted: 9/12/2009 4:38:26 PM
ok, In regards to all the fun questions.

1) Yes, I pay my drivers well, very well. They work as hard as they want, and get a percentage of the load, which pays better than per-mile.

2) My drivers are like family. Granted I could probably treat my own family better, visiting instead of calling for holidays & birthdays and such... But that isnt on trial here.

3) No, the people who I hire to drive for me, usually stick around until something else takes them away from trucking... Usually a jealous wife... Or small children.

4) My drivers recommend the company to people all the time, however I'm very selective in the hiring process, and not all applicants will be hired.

I'm home whenever I want, I run how ever hard I want, be it 2,000 miles per week, to 5,500 miles per week, I love my truck, and if I want to take a vacation somewhere with my truck, then I can schedule myself to do so. My trucks pass Regular DOT inspections and carry the FMCSA sticker in the windshield. They are Not governed and all have big roomy sleepers, and new trailers.

My drivers take their trucks home if they want, I have pre-selected places for repairs if needed, although most is addressed before a problem occurs, my drivers drive as hard or not as they want to, and if they don't want to go somewhere, (like West in the snow), they don't have to. I don't make my driver's do anything I wouldn't do myself.

Guess according to your rules, I'm on the bottom 1%...

Where's my Rock???

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 225 (view)

How did you come up with your screen name?
Posted: 9/12/2009 4:25:34 PM
I chose my CB handle. It's kind-of a nic-name anyway. It was simple, couldn't really be mixed up for something gross or bad, and it says a lot about who I am!

That, and there are a lot of people out there that know me by it. Once in a while, the online-world and what seems to be reality bump into each other...

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 12 (view)

standing in line
Posted: 9/12/2009 4:23:15 PM
I guess I spend too much time IN my truck. It's not that I'm unfriendly, I'm overly polite and quiet, I say please & thank you when the need arises, but when I'm out and about, I've got so much on my mind these days, I often overlook the opportunity to say hi to a stranger.

Usually when I'm waiting to pay for my fuel, someone trys to hit on me, but why is it always the big fat nasty unshowered truck driver that gives the rest of us a bad name? LOL

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 21 (view)

Ridiculous car insurance rates
Posted: 9/12/2009 4:18:39 PM
I pay $488 / month for my insurance on my big truck... And that's CHEAP!!!!!

I remember from living in Oregon, they use your credit score as a way to determine your car insurance rates.... Like having good or bad credit will make you a better or worse driver...

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 8 (view)

Ever look at a profile just to see what's in background?
Posted: 9/12/2009 4:09:18 PM
You know, come to think of it... I've done that a few times. Those little thumbnails are great at times, some turn you off, and some make you inquire further!

Watch out, OP, someone might want to take your smokin Hot Scaffold out for a spin!

LOL

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker

Truck drivers
Posted: 9/7/2009 7:22:26 PM
OP, I would have emailed you directly in regards to trucking and how to get started, however you have a block on your profile, which will not allow for anyone who lives greater than 75 mi from you to email.

I guess you will figure it out on your own...

Good Luck!

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 5 (view)

Truck drivers
Posted: 9/7/2009 7:18:52 PM
Wow... In reading the responses, kinda makes me, as a Trucking Company Owner, want to run and hide under a rock...

I see people being laid-off in ALL fields, trucking included. I really have to argue with what MOST of the posters have to say. To me, much of it seems written by someone who has NO idea of what driving a truck is really like...

Trucking isnt for everyone, and there are MANY different aspects of it as well. It's great for someone who wants to see different sights, who doesn't have to be home every night, who can handle living in a small space, and who thinks outside the box.

I do well in trucking, but then I apply myself. I found my niche, and I do it well.

OP, my best suggestion is to find someone you can trust, and go out on a run with them for a couple of days and see what its really about.

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 342 (view)

The Toilet seat thing!!!
Posted: 9/4/2009 11:21:25 AM
Well, I keep the lid down as well, so it baffles me when a man can't lift the seat (and or lid) do his business, then drop it back down... I have to lift the lid and replace every time so what's the difference.

I will say one thing though... To me it's common courtesy to leave the seat in the exact position you found it in, unless you know it was a mistake... ie: When you go to a woman's house and use her john, you will find the seat and sometimes the lid down. Well, when you leave, put the seat back where you found it...

It's no difference for me, when I go visit a male friend, or perhaps stop by and use someone's machine shop to work on my truck and I need to go, I'll note whether the seat is up, or down, and then I place it back how I found it... I'd hate for a guy to have to lift the seat back up in his own shop! LOL Common courtesy, in my book...

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 13 (view)

people in small towns...how do you find dates?
Posted: 9/4/2009 11:16:23 AM
2500? I thought you said Small!!! I'm out in the Rural Area, and the closest town to me has 541 people!!! Thats plenty in my book. I think us small-town'ers find dates and options via the internet, friends, family, co-workers, and enterprise.

What's a 30 minute drive to someone's house, if they live in town and you need groceries anyway? Heck, at 26 you've got plenty of time!!!

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 1 (view)

Trucking Poem - Bull Hauler's Blues
Posted: 8/9/2009 10:37:59 AM
I Wrote this while driving down the road in TN July 16th, 2009, about 2:30 am, with no one to talk to on the phone, and on a run that wouldn't allow for stopping to sleep. I was tired, and this was what came to mind. I got a pen and wrote it down on the back of a log book sheet. There's a LOT of truth to it, especially for someone who doesn't understand the nature of what a Driver must do...

---By: CowTrucker---

I open my eyes, and I look around, a diesel engine, the only sound. Alone in my bunk, my feet cold on the floor, I lean up front, and look out the door. I grab for my notes, all tattered and torn, and go out side, as this new day is born.

I walk to the office, where the coffee is hot, and point to my Pete, way out in the lot. A fresh blanket of snow, had fallen last night, and loading my cows, I’m in for a fight. I circle around with the chute in my mirror, and think to myself, I wonder why I’m here. I put on my boots, my carhartt, my gloves, as I walk down that ramp, a silent prayer sent above.

I pray for my family, my kids, and my wife. The pain the must go through, a bull-hauler’s life. The cows they are grouchy, they don’t like the cold, I cuss to the shadows, it’s tough getting old. They kick and they snort, they turn and they run. A yell from behind me, “Get out! Damn-it! RUN!!”

Before I could move, the cows, they all came, and when I woke up, I’d forgotten my name. With a cast on my arm, a bandage on my head, the doc even said, “you’re lucky you aren’t dead!” With orders to rest, I was told to go home, but I gave him my word, and I won’t go alone.

So back to the snow, the cold, and the muck, Oh where did they put it? Oh Shit! Where’s my truck? Oh hell, there it is, parked out in the back, I about passed out, from the panic attack. She might not be much, but she’s all that I’ve got, and over the years, we’ve sure seen a lot.

So once again, to the chute, I must go, with the pain and the cold, I’m moving so slow. I feel like a rookie, like I don’t know my job, a bloody shirt and torn pants, I feel like a slob. I pause down the ramp, and I close my sore eyes, I think about things, this job, my demise. My family has stood there, through thick and through thin, and I almost lost all, and never saw them again.

But what would I do, without my old Pete? My hand on the gear shift, my butt on the seat. I could start a new life, new job, new career. But you know I’d end up, with my ass right back here. It gets in your blood, it consumes your whole life, and when you give up, it cuts your heart like a knife.

I finally get ‘em loaded, and drop down my gate, in the dogbox muddy clothes, for my paperwork, I wait. The vet never saw them, he told a white lie, but he signed all my papers, and told me goodbye. I start my old truck, and we go down the road, I look at my gauges, how heavy IS this load? I dig up the papers, the numbers, aren’t right, I look at the clock, it’s gonna be a long night! I grab for my map, and plan a new way, I know all these new miles, put a bite in my pay.

I’ll be there tomorrow, if I don’t take a shower, I reach for my Skoal, and count down the hours. I call home to my wife, but some things I don’t say. I tell her I love her, and which bills she can’t pay. I promise to work harder, and be a better provider. She tells me she loves me, she knows I’m a fighter. I hung up my phone, and locked in my cruise, and I thought to myself, these are the Bull-Hauler Blues...!

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 3 (view)

~* Dating & Trucking *~
Posted: 8/9/2009 10:32:01 AM
We tell stories all the time... It just depends on which type of story are you looking for? Theres the daily grind, dating, holy crap what a rate, look at this piece of equipment load, theres the DOT, and of course... Bull Haulers!

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker

Anti-farmer attitude
Posted: 8/8/2009 8:39:31 PM
Actually, some of us are also in the Farming/Ranching industry. I'm not sure that my agricultural occupation has turned guys off, but I definitely would have to do some thinking if a city-slicker wanted to court me.

There's certain things that are just to come expected when someone is in the Ag industry... It's hard to take someone who doesn't understand that, and try and teach them the old ways.

Just make sure your profile is detailed about yourself, and what kind of person you are looking for! That should be a given for any person, in any industry!

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker

Are professional pictures better?
Posted: 8/8/2009 8:08:49 PM
It depends on the kind of person you are looking for. Although if you wear a suit/tie to work, and post that as a pic, I think you should also post a pic of yourself in something more casual.

Personally, my lifestyle doesn't condone a suit/tie, so if that's all I see of a guy, then I will most likely pass him by. If the same guy has a suit/tie, and maybe pics with his hobbies, that might be a different story.

I think the best pics posted are ones of the person in the environment they are most comfortable in. That way the real "you" can come out!

Post good pics, ones that show the whole body, as well as just some of the face. Limit the pics of your toys, to just one or two, and don't be afraid to use up All 8 picture slots. The more pics the better.

Remember, a picture is worth 1,000 words! So use the best ones you have!

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 8 (view)

Cell phones
Posted: 8/7/2009 9:24:45 AM
I have Verizon, and they have a flip-phone called the G'z One. It's by Casio. It's one of those that's supposedly made to military specs, in that it's water resistant, and can handle the shock.

If you are a person who puts the phone in a pocket, and then sits on it, drops it constantly, or whacks it on something, it is designed not to break. Or if you are one with small children, or are prone to let your phone go swimming, its also good.

It accesses the internet, has a pretty good camera, and does more than I even know about, and seems to work well, however the only not-so-great thing, is when you go to send a text, you gotta hhit the keyys several timmes to get the letter you want. lol

Look at the phones offered by your carrier, and find one with the best options that fits your needs. Many carriers now are offering 'test-drive' trials now, where you can keep the phone for 30 days, and if you don't like it, can bring it back and exchange it. See if your carrier offers such a plan.

As far as your phone making a dating statement? If you are worried about that, I think you otta get out of the house a little more!

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 51 (view)

Cash for Clunkers to be suspended.
Posted: 8/7/2009 9:02:32 AM
I'll admit, I'm half-interested in buying another pickup. I had sold the last one a while back, as I thought I didn't need one, but realized there are things a pickup does, that an SUV can't do. I'll admit. I have a Clunker. It's a 1993 Ford Bronco. According to government guidelines, it should be scrapped. Although, you can only see the front end in the picture, it has a nice grille guard, there's no damage to the body, nice rims, and a GREAT running motor. Yet still the Government considers it a problem.

Well, long story short. I looked at a Ford lot, and I planned on keeping my Bronco, and found a 1997 Ford F-150 pickup, nice looking truck, 4x4, no leaks, no rust, nice interior, with all the creature-comforts, and went inside to inquire about it. The only thing I missed was the "Gov't Clunker" written in shoe polish on the corner of the windshield.

Apparently that perfectly good vehicle was going to get scrapped because it's owner was tricked into trading it in a new vehicle. I was outraged at this. I can understand wanting to take vehicles off the road that Really Do need to be retired, however, this was just over 10 years old, and was in Perfect condition.

It was explained to me, that the Clunker program was to "Stimulate the Economy", rather than address pollution or safety problems. What I want to know, is HOW it stimulates the economy? A person who has a vehicle that runs well, looks nice, and is paid for, is Conned into signing his life away on a $54,000 pick-up that he probably can't honestly afford, but the sales guy had a GREAT sales pitch, and sadly might end up ruining the guy's credit if he should fail to make the HUGE payments. While perfectly good vehicles that may or may not pass even CA emission requirements, are crushed. Where's the help-the-less-fortunate value? How about the value of spare parts? How about non-profit organizations? Or student education, either with driver's ed, or automotive repair/refinishing?

It's just amazing that our Government, For the People, By the People, has stooped to an all time low... It pains me to see that common sense, and thought has eluded most of today's politicians, only to be traded for ego and publicity.

I feel the economy would be MORE stimulated, by Reducing Credit borrowed, encouraging Americans to pay CASH, and SAVE their money. Instead all I see is the opposite.

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 101 (view)

Are women obliviously attracted to a man's appearance?
Posted: 7/26/2009 4:57:34 PM
They always say "Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder". I think thats 100% true. Although I don't necessarily agree that women are attracted to a man physically as much as men are attracted to women, but I do think there has to be mutual attraction somewhere. Men have higher sexual needs, and women have higher emotional needs. It's just the way we were created.

In looking back to the guys I've been attracted to, the only thing they all have in common, was how they take care of themselves. From 6'4" and 300# to 5'8" and 145#. From Blonde with blue eyes, to dark brown hair and dark brown eyes. From very short/military cut hair, to hair I can run my fingers thru, and maybe a little longer in the back. From old to young. Goatee and handle bar mustache, to clean shaven and soft.

I'd take a guy with an extra 10# over a guy who's buff and all muscled up. The one thing I do like, is that the guys take care of themselves and practice good hygiene. Scent is also important, although I personally can't stand that Axe crap...!!!

In working out, and changing the way you look, you've gained self confidence. I think that plays a bigger role in attraction, than overall looks. The only two things I require in a man's appearance, is that he has more hair on his head than on his back, and his belly doesn't stick out more than his you-know-what does... lol

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 603 (view)

Smokers: Would you quit smoking for your dreamboat?
Posted: 7/26/2009 4:47:29 PM
I don't date smokers, occasional, or regular. If a guy wanted to date me, he would have to be a non-smoker. Although I'd never ASK or DEMAND him to quit. Quitting works the best if its the desire of the smoker.

I used to chew tobacco, yea, gross, I know, not much different than sucking on a cigarette, but decided to quit a while back. There was a guy I was interested in, and I hid the habit from him for years. Some of our mutual friends knew, and some people in his family knew. I'm sure he did as well, but he never said anything about it. Not one word, ever.

Although we don't date now, and its been years, I still did use my feelings for him to motivate my quitting. I don't feel it was wrong, or that I quit for bad reasons. And now later on, I am thankful for not using tobacco, no matter what the reason is.

So my theory on quitting for a person you care about? Sometimes in a situation like that, your partner can give you strength and inspiration, especially when you need it the most!

As far as the man of my dreams being a regular smoker? The man IN my dreams does NOT smoke... So therefore, I won't have to worry about it. LOL

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 95 (view)

Dating a Married Man
Posted: 7/26/2009 4:29:05 PM
Many of us have found ourselves in your shoes. It's usually never good for the person who's not in the marriage. The options are all yours, as well as what you do with the situation.

You've got several options.

You can flat out ask him for the truth, whether or not he tells you, might be a different story.

You can tell him you know that he's married, and break up with him.

You can continue the relationship, knowing what you know, telling him you know or not, but remember he's still going to be in her bed as well.

You can break up with him, and find a good man, telling him why or not.

Weigh your options heavily. Just remember, if you confront him, he may try and cover his mistakes with lies. Be prepared!

Do what you feel is right in your heart, and for your future!

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker

What do you think?
Posted: 7/26/2009 9:58:55 AM
I'm not going to stand up for any illegals here (and I assume since you are in AZ, your illegals you are referencing are Hispanic), but in the career field I'm in, I tend to spend a lot of time around Hispanics, both legal, and illegal. I see them in feedlots, packing houses, mills, plants, washouts, and all places that are dirty, grimy, smelly, and just plain nasty.

All of those people I see, are working. Never have I heard a Hispanic person turn away from what was asked of him, as where I can't say that for some others. They seem to work for a lesser wage, just to work, and they don't usually complain. I've seen them in some of the nastiest jobs, working their hind end's off just to earn a day's wage.

I wish more Americans would jump on Their bandwagon, and work. We (Americans) all cry for wages, and some of us refuse to work, because unemployment pays more than an actual working job... But if a person decides to accept a job for a wage, it shouldn't matter who or what he is, it's his choice to work for that rate, let him do so.

I do agree with most, I wish the illegals would do what was required to become citizens, and speak the language and such, but I do see the benefits from having them as well. In my daily workings with then, I've since learned how to speak Spanish, and can effectively communicate with them. Attitude is everything. If you give a little, they usually work a lot.

Also, there's less work in Pan-Handling, than labor-working, and most Americans will give $1.00 to a bum. Easy work. Just be thankful that the contractors pick up the Illegals, or else the street would be very crowded!

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 18 (view)

a felon wanting to become a volunteer firefighter
Posted: 7/26/2009 9:40:00 AM
That's a good question! Isn't the job of the correctional system to "REHABILITATE" criminals? Therefore, a person who has previously committed a crime, and paid his dues, wanting to change his life and do something to benefit others, in my book is a GOOD thing!

I do question the charges of the conviction, however, even an Arsonist can become a valuable fire-fighter, because he has experience in the events leading up to the fire, to possibly know what to expect and how to keep others safe.

I might think differently if it was a murderer, however, in a position of a firefighter, or EMT, one seldom works alone. There are always several other people around to make sure someone doesn't go astray, or get in a bad situation.

I'd vote to give the person a chance, but keep them on a probationary time period. Let the person prove that his heart is clear, and that he's a good person once again.

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 16 (view)

Dog Bite
Posted: 7/26/2009 9:32:17 AM
Gordie was doing what dogs do. He was protecting his 'Den'(and himself). In his case, his Den is your house, and we all know that you are his Master. If you look into canine behavior, the lessor pack animals will protect the Den, while the Master (or Alpha) is away. Even though Gordie knew Joe, Joe was still there when he shouldn't have been (since you were out). Thus, he was doing the job that comes bred into him by instinct.

I would be curious to know if Gordie gave any kind of warning before the bite. Usually a warning growl might be low or quiet, and if a person is not paying attention, it's often missed, and then comes the bite. Dog's rarely bite without at least some kind of warning whether its hard to notice or obvious, they rarely just bite out of the blue.

In looking how Gordie bit Joe, Greyhounds are sight-hounds. They can Not see close up as well as they can see far away. Joe only suffered one bite, not multiple, and it was on the object closest to Gordie, which was Joe's hand. Gordie was telling Joe, 'Don't touch me'. If it were an aggression or kill-instinct bite, then there would have been multiple bites in multiple places, plus, with the sight-hounds, they tend to bite and shake, like they would kill a rabbit, or small prey.

I do believe Gordie's track record with Therapy and Obedience will save his life, however, once a bite is registered, he may not be able to go back to being a Therapy dog. Even if the circumstances are completely understood and reasonable, not everyone is willing to understand them.

It's best to get references from past & present clients for therapy, obedience instructors, and such, as well as the behaviorist, to show that he's a Good dog.

I don't feel that Gordie will go on a Biting Rampage if you let him outside, and don't think that the muzzle is necessary, although you may want to keep him well controlled (Gentle Leaders or Halti's work great for that), but I would definitely NOT let anyone in the house without you being there, for both Gordie, and the visitor's safety.

Good luck to you and Gordie!

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 41 (view)

What is the most valuable thing in the universe
Posted: 6/21/2009 5:46:55 PM
TIME !!!

We're all looking for the fountain of youth, or mis-spending our childhood... People don't understand that TIME is the one thing that once it's lost, a person can/will NEVER get it back!!!

With modern technology we can buy just about anything... We can fabricate just about anything... But we still cannot make more... TIME!!!

So think about that, next time you are bored and just wishing the time would go away! Take those moments and reflect back over the places in the past that you can learn from, to benefit your future!

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 24 (view)

Does YOUR ride say anything about you?
Posted: 6/13/2009 10:05:56 AM
It's 80 feet long, has 455 hp, and 1650 ft# torque. It's a mysterious shade of green, that can change colors when it feels like it, takes up 4 parking spots at walmart without the trailer, and barely fits on most 2 lane roads...

Ok, its in no comparison to a chevy, or a ford... But in the world of Big trucks, we have the same reasons for buying our trucks as does the person looking at a Ford Focus vs: a Chevy Corvette...

I bought mine for practicality. For Weight, Fuel Economy, Roominess, Driver Comfort, and because the price was right! I keep her well maintained, sometimes clean, mostly dirty, but when I do wash her, I do it by hand, and it takes me the better part of TWO days!!!

Inside shes well dusted, I empty the trash can on a regular basis, sometimes make the bed, and have a place for everything...

And yes, at 80 ft long and 12 ft high, I can park in my own driveway, but I do need a taller garage door.

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 27 (view)

Good Workout?
Posted: 6/13/2009 9:53:48 AM
I like working on the ranch. Horseback riding, chasing cows, building fences, throwing hay bales, and all the fresh country air!!!

There's something magical about a hard day's work on the farm, right when the sun goes down, and you sit on the porch, thinkin you'll be sorry when your aching muscles wake up in the morning, but heck, it was worth it, and you feel like you're 20 again!!!

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 67 (view)

3 chores you dislike doing as a single person
Posted: 6/13/2009 9:48:28 AM
1) Scooping up the doggie doo. That goes without further explaination...

2) Mowing the Grass... say at least the first 100 acres... after that I give up and let the horses finish the mowing...

3) Minor home repairs. Like Plumbing, and fixing the bloody well pump!!!

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 9 (view)

Factory Farming & the problem
Posted: 6/13/2009 9:45:54 AM
OP, I guess you haven't spent too much time from beginning to end of your steak. I raise cattle myself, and do a lot of work with commercial cattle feeding operations. I've seen fancy farms where the cows graze on thousands of acres, and really bad feed lots that should be shut down.

I do agree the beef tastes differently based on what its fed, and how its grown, but I've learned since my visit to Minnesota, where they don't use Angus beef, or Holstein (west coast), but rather just generic cows, that the taste/texture of the meat is different based on breed of cow.

Swine Flu, originated in pigs (swine) because of un-sanitary conditions. Healthy, clean, feed lots don't have the same threat of disease as does some of the lesser ones because conditions are not as good for bacteria and germs. What makes one feed lot better than the other? MONEY !!!

Profit, profit, Profit. It takes more money to farm cattle on grass and feed, than it does to put them in a commercial feedlot, and it takes more money to have a bigger feedlot with less cattle per pen and bigger exercise areas, than it does to cram them all in a little 12 x 12 pen and dump food in a trough twice a day.

The price of Beef, Pork, Lamb, Chicken, Turkey, Etc is higher than we'd like to see it, however, not all of it gets passed onto the farmers & ranchers. Everyone has their hands in it, especially the government! If you want cattle that's ranch-grown, perhaps you should find a rancher, butcher, or grow your own... I don't think about 'Buster' when it comes time for dinner. Just because I said good morning to him every day for 2 years, and now hes dinner, doesn't mean I don't enjoy the way my steak tastes...

I guess it depends on what each individual's definition of "proper" treatment is. Some would argue that raising an animal specifically for slaughter is wrong in itself, so housing it in a commercial feedlot would be out of the question.

As for the waste? Where do you think the fertilizer they just spread over the Corn field just came from? Just another thing for you to think of when you grab for that bag of Doritos...

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 3 (view)

salina kansas get together
Posted: 6/12/2009 5:51:41 PM
I'm game, but you know I need a lil bit more notice to be back home, especially around harvest time! I think in between Wheat/Corn harvest might work the best for our area.

Keep me posted, I'm sure we can find places for tents, campers, pickups, etc. I've got a few horses, the horse-minded people can ride, and I'm closer to Milford Lake than you are... That'd also be a great area!

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker

Signatures...and why?
Posted: 6/12/2009 5:12:35 PM
I'm an avid forum-poster with the signature at the bottom. For me to leave my "user name" and "city/state" its a way of saying "Hey, I said this..." Kind-of hard to explain maybe, but to me, its just like in the olden days, when a person left his mark on something.

Yes, we know the user-name is to the left of the forum, but its still kind of a personal note for someone to put their mark at the bottom. And in a world of online mystery, I find comfort in the smallest of personal touches.

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 47 (view)

Lets Talk Politics - Do you believe in the Death Penality?
Posted: 6/12/2009 5:04:08 PM
I like the way Texas feels about Capital Punishment.... They have an EXPRESS Lane!

I do feel that if a criminal feels that his/her own Death may be a consequence of his/her actions, I have a hard time believing that he/she would not think twice about committing the crime in the first place.

I don't feel that some people should be made to be the example in the situation, however, If the consequences are steeper, I think crime would be less. Just like when we were kids... If mom & dad were too lenient than we as children were most likely to go do it again without thinking. If the punishment was stiffer, we thought twice about it.

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 23 (view)

Man Sues Match.com for Baiting & Switching
Posted: 6/12/2009 4:58:45 PM
I see the guy's point, however, I have a hard time grasping the concept that his "pain and suffering" was worth the $5, mil...

Don't even get me started on the way I feel about match.com, it's not very pretty, and I have nothing nice to say about them at all...

But I do get the guy's gripe. It sure would be nice to know who's able to respond, and who's not, or even if they just do one-way emails like some of the other sites do, so you can read email, but not send/reply.

Guess thats why I'm still here... FREEdom... that, and maybe Forum-Addiction. lol

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 17 (view)

What do you keep in your wallet/purse?
Posted: 6/12/2009 4:51:17 PM
I like to travel light, so I keep a billfold. Inside one will find.... Drivers License, Bank Cards, Car Insurance Cards, Truck Stop Frequent Fueler Cards, No More than $20.00 Cash, and Business Cards for My Company.

Not much, Really, but everything in there is of necessity and I use most of it on a regular basis. The reason I carry a billfold instead of a purse, is to rid myself of anyone asking me "Here, can you put this in your purse?" Now I have to find someone with a purse and ask them... lol

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 22 (view)

how many messages do you get?
Posted: 6/7/2009 6:35:50 PM
I get maybe one, sometimes two, on average, although there are days when I won't get any at all.

I don't mind the ones that actually are interested, however, so often it seems that a guy will email me, and have nothing in common, and has not even read my profile, just looked at the pictures.

I have noticed that views and emails seem to go in waves. There may come a time period where I won't see any activity for a week or more, and then all of a sudden, I might see 3 or 4 messages. I haven't found the pattern to it yet.

Good luck!

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 7 (view)

Women and first messages.
Posted: 6/1/2009 6:07:53 PM
OP, Actually, you've got one of the better male profiles I've seen. Kinda serious, yet kinda funny. I don't think the kid is a deal breaker, you identify that they are not with you all the time, so even if someone doesnt want that responsibility, its not pressuring them.

I really didn't see anything wrong with your profile, liked the bit about randomly shaving your facial hair! Got a chuckle there!

I think maybe you should also include a pic of your goatee now. But DO leave the other pics there. The cookie one is great, and your sub-titles are good too!

Maybe work on your approach, or to the restrictions you've got on there. What if I was 33 and lived in the USA, but was willing to relocate? You can state in your profile, that you are looking for a Canadian gal, between 23 & 32, but leave the actual restriction off there.

Good Luck to ya!

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker

Looking for feedback on my initial contact letter
Posted: 6/1/2009 6:00:25 PM
OP, Well, I commend your efforts, I really think you're on the right track in your emailing, however, depending on the type of gal you are emailing, and what you have in mind... This particular email would send me packing. You'd instantly get a 'Thanks, but no thanks' reply.

I do think you are right with your second paragraph, but your first one sounds like a gigantic pick-up line. You want to make the first contact with someone POSITIVE.

I'd start out with something along of...

"Hi, my name is _______. I happened to notice your profile because I also love the outdoors and being active as well as relaxing is something I enjoy well...

I'm interested in getting to know a little more about you! The weekend's coming, do you have any big plans?

Well, have a good afternoon, and write back when you get a chance!

XX"

Always leave the reader with a question. Thats usually the best way to get a response, and make sure you took the time to fill out the profile.

In regards to your blanket message? To me, it sends red flags up because you don't know anything about me, yet you want to meet. Anymore in todays' society, one must get to know someone and develop a starting trust, before she is going to feel safe to meet anyone anywhere for anything.

Good luck to ya!

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 79 (view)

lack of emotion
Posted: 5/27/2009 7:56:19 AM
Hmmmm I've heard this before. I know exactly what your ex feels!!! I know it sounds lame, but you really NEED to get the book, "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman. It's an awesome book, filled with humor, and every day examples.

It will make sense in your head, as well as prevent you from making the same mistakes (if you will), later on in life. It might also help you feel a little more out of your relationships as well.

Good Luck, and GET THE BOOK!!!!

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 cowtrucker
Msg: 61 (view)

I need a push, please help.
Posted: 5/27/2009 7:39:42 AM
Wow, OP, this guy sounds like a Jerk! No one can tell you what to do, but in reading your post, the writing is on the wall. It sounds like you need to get your mind off of him, and start looking for a brighter future!

I haven't seen the list of positives, about the guy, but the list of negatives, doesn't fare too well. You might not be perfect, but you are a LOT closer than he is, to perfection...

Here's what you need to ask yourself..... "Is this the way I want to live the rest of my life???" Think about that! With what you know about the guy, would you be happy with him 10 years down the road, when things have gotten way worse?

I know it's hard to let go of someone you care about, but sometimes, you gotta love yourself more than you love the other person.

It's coming into summer right now, there should be plenty of things to get your mind off the bloke. Out door stuff, sunny weather stuff, work, hobbies, friends, family, etc!

So, grab hold of yourself, ask yourself what it is that you want out of life, and go after it!!!

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas

Show ALL Forums