Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Third day of Kindergarten phone call
 grmpyolman
Msg: 17 (view)

Third day of Kindergarten phone call
Posted: 8/23/2007 8:17:42 PM

Jujubee and others, you all seem pretty quick to indict the teachers.

Libertine...

You are so very right...and my apologies for sounding like I was ripping teachers. I tried to make it sound like it was only SOME teachers. I hold a tremendous amount of respect for your profession. It's obvious most teachers are in the field out of the love for children (or the love of helping children). It sure isn't for the money. It takes a special person just to be able to deal with the responsibilities of educating and caring for other people's children.
In all fairness to the teachers, alot of the effective tools used for disciplining children have been taken away due to political correctness and questionable litigations. Nothing like having to manage something while your hands are tied...especially a room full of curious and boundry testing kids.
With that being said I still believe that the doctors and educational system as a whole are way to quick to put our kids on supposedly harmless meds just so they can be more easily controlled. I have seen it first hand with my step-son (when I was married). I was given an ultimatum to either put him on meds...or hold him back a year. Even after my attempt to convinve them to give me 6 months under my discipline (instead of mom's)...they refused and I was forced to moved to avoid the medication.
(I am happy to say that one year later he was a solid B student with no meds).

So the question of the day is: Are the kids today being raised with no structure and boundries...therefore creating a no win situation for the teachers? Or are teachers today enjoying a more peaceful classroom by teaching medicated children. Could be both?

Ugh...I smell one of those nasty threads building up...LOL
 grmpyolman
Msg: 14 (view)

Posted: 8/23/2007 7:48:16 PM
First let me say that I detest the very notion of medicating our kids just because some teachers lack the skills of maintaining a semi-orderly classroom. But playing devil's advocate here... are you prepared to deal with the impending threat of holding your child back a year? At that point the only recourse you have is either hurt your child by letting them hold him back or moving to locate him in another school. In my situation we chose to move. Just something to think about.
 grmpyolman
Msg: 39 (view)

The Things That Come From The Mouth Of Babes.
Posted: 8/23/2007 3:32:24 PM
My 3 year old watched Willie Wonka. For some reason she developed a fear of willie wonka but she would call him "chocolate man". For weeks, out of the blue, she would say "daddy don't let chocolate man get me" Or "daddy give chocolate man a spanking".
One day we're in the grocery store checkout and again out of the blue she loudly said "daddy don't let chocolate man get me!" I said "I won't sweetheart...no chocolate man is going to get you." I turned around and there was a nice black couple waiting behind us. They were staring with their mouths open.
 grmpyolman
Msg: 6 (view)

Posted: 8/23/2007 2:05:55 PM

I'd be more inclined to want to get up into his teacher's face and ask her why the hell she was unable to handle a 5 year old that has only JUST begun his school career. His THIRD day... And the BEST she's got is to haul him down to the prinicpal's office? Pfft. Poor kid. He was probably terrified — THAT is why he ran and hid. How's he supposed to know what happens in the big bad principal's office? Ass.hole teachers need some empathy. She clearly lacks the creativity to manage a kindergarten class and I would consider having him placed elsewhere.

Without knowing your son's personality and behavior my gut reaction would be more along the lines of Irreverent Lass's. It has been my experience that alot of teacher's have become less and less intellectually equiped to handle children that behave even slightly out of the realm of obedient. I wonder what kind of medications or psychological treatments I would be prescribed if todays teachers had to deal with the likes of me when I was growing up.

I mean really...are todays kids any worse than kids say 40 years ago? Or is the education system too ignorant or lazy to deal with normal child behavior!!
 grmpyolman
Msg: 12 (view)

what embarrassing things do you do for your kids
Posted: 8/19/2007 10:19:44 PM
Getting caught by friends of mine in the little girl panties section buying my girl her first pair of panties.

They were pink and had Dora characters on it...LOL
 grmpyolman
Msg: 8 (view)

Children born addicted
Posted: 8/10/2007 7:49:44 AM

they now have soups for kids with character shaped pasta in it (dora, shreck, disney princess, etc)

I'll have to look for that...thank you.

anything with red dyes are horrible for behavior issues

This is news to me also...thanks.

Hopefully...she is just a happy, stubborn, feisty bundle of joy that wil outgrow all of this and your concerns can be chalked up to worry for naught :)

I'm pretty sure this is all I am experiencing. Sometimes when I think I have issues with her behavior all I have to do is go spend time with other people's children and most of the time I realize that I have an Angel.
 grmpyolman
Msg: 7 (view)

Children born addicted
Posted: 8/8/2007 9:42:56 PM

You can buy chewable gummies that are full of vegies.. or ground up vegies.. or whatever.

At the health food store, I bought them in bulk for a kid I fostered. He had never seen a vegetable and nothing like that was going in his mouth. He was severely malnutrioned so I was tyring to get him healthy.. he'd eat fruit but not a vegie. I went to the health food store and bought those.

Now there is something I never thought of...thanks.
 grmpyolman

Children born addicted
Posted: 8/8/2007 1:08:30 PM

Have you seen the new study? Kids will eat ANYTHING if put in McDonald's packaging! (Save your french fry containers and fill them with veggies :D )

I will give this a try...LOL. But my little girl, much to her credit, is way too smart to be fooled like that. The best success I have had refers to a previous post...and that is hiding them in food that she likes.
 grmpyolman
Msg: 5 (view)

Children born addicted
Posted: 8/8/2007 9:46:54 AM

You could always ask for a referral to a child psychologist for an evaluation. She looks like a beautiful, wonderful, blessing.......you are really a lucky guy.

Time and attention and love. Socialization with other kids. Structure. Nutrition. Lots of physical activity.

You'll be FINE

Thank you for the kind words and the encouragement. I do smother her with love, affection and she is very social with other kids (and grown ups). She has two sets of very loving and supportive grandparents. The only thing on that list I am lacking would be the nutrition thing. I try my best but she would rather starve than eat vegetables. LOL I was the same way when I was her age.

I try my best to raise her in a normal fashion but it always sits in the back of my mind what the doctors said. I wish they had never tried to warn me. So far I don't think we experience anything out of the realm of being normal. It was later on I was thinking about. You know...the terrible rebelious teen years.
 grmpyolman
Msg: 3 (view)

Children born addicted
Posted: 8/8/2007 4:29:51 AM
Trust me...
It would take a nation of doctors to even come close to persuading me to put her on meds.
 grmpyolman
Msg: 1 (view)

Children born addicted
Posted: 8/7/2007 10:51:29 PM
Mt daughter was born with a severe addiction to oxycontin. It took seven weeks before I could bring her home from the hospital and a total of 4 months before she was completely weened. Needless to say I am divorced and mom lost custody in court.
My question is this. The doctors forewarned me there may be behavorial issues to deal with later on. At three years old she is extremely stubborn and fiesty. I pass that off though because she is three and both mom and dad are stubborn and fiesty. That naturally makes her stubborn squared....right?

Is there any parents here with older children that started out the same way and what can I expect during adolescence?
 grmpyolman
Msg: 16 (view)

Posted: 8/7/2007 10:38:59 PM
My daughter and I were at the doctor's office. When we left and were riding the elevator down somebody evidently passed gas in the elevator. It was dead quiet and everyone was acting like they didn't smell it and my girl pipes up and says "EEwwwwwww!!! Somebody stinks!!!!

The whole group in the elevator laughed all the way to the bottom floor.
 grmpyolman

Posted: 8/7/2007 2:54:09 PM
My 3 year old daughter loves the song "you are my sunshine".

She sings it like this...

You are my sunshine...my only sunshine.
You make me happy...when skies are grape

Kills me everytime
 grmpyolman

Mattel's Fisher-Price recalling 1.5 mln toys
Posted: 8/2/2007 7:42:49 PM
FYI

I checked my toys that were on the list at Mattel's website and they said if the toys were purchased before May 1st 2007 that they were not included in the recall.

In case anyone wanted to save themselves the time of researching it.
 grmpyolman
Msg: 281 (view)

How many sinle parents have their kid or kids with no help?
Posted: 8/1/2007 10:57:20 PM
OK...add me to the list. Kinda waited too long to have a child to begin with and sure didn't plan to end up with her on my own. But God knew what I needed more than I did and he blessed me with the best thing that ever happened to me. I'm just afraid that I will not be able to teach my daughter near as much as she is teaching me.
 grmpyolman
Msg: 113 (view)

SINGLE DADS
Posted: 7/31/2007 3:27:46 PM
Hey Kayleesdaddy,

Single dad here...my girl's name is Caylee so I guess I am cayleesdaddy..LOL
 grmpyolman
Msg: 50 (view)

How many single dads actually take care of there kids..
Posted: 7/31/2007 3:13:11 PM
Single dad here also..full time. It's been me and my girl since she was two months old. I never realized how empty my life was until she came along. She constantly makes me laugh so hard I come to tears. Right before Father's day, when I picked her up from daycare she told the teacher...right in front of me...that daddy was her best friend. Now I ask you...how is a manly man supposed to keep from tearing up when something like that happens.
 grmpyolman

INTRODUCING SINGLE FATHERS, IT'S YOUR TIME TO SHINE.
Posted: 7/28/2007 8:21:23 PM

I am not looking for a mother to my children. Just a friend to them would work very well.

I second that notion.
 grmpyolman
Msg: 4 (view)

Posted: 7/28/2007 12:16:15 AM

This notion that women are "instinctually" the better parent is false.

I by no means meant that women are better parents. I simply feel like in the infancy stage (1st year) there are certain things that come natural to women that men have to learn the hard way. There is no doubt that I am a better parent than my girl's mother (hense I was awarded full custody). Heck...mother isn't even allowed to see her daughter without supervision. What kind of mom is that?
 grmpyolman

Posted: 7/27/2007 2:43:04 PM
OP,

There are a few of us single Dads here. I have had my baby girl on my own since she was two months old. She is 3 now. Boy that first year was a learning curve from he11. I had to learn the hard way what most moms know by instinct. I really worry about the future more than the present...we are doing fine now. But she is a beautiful girl that demands everyone's attention...that could be really scarey later on. But I think I have figured out how to keep her from dating until she is at least 20 years old....I'm not going to potty train her.

hehe
 grmpyolman
Msg: 2 (view)

Is there ANYTHING interesting......
Posted: 6/15/2007 10:13:35 AM
City Stages in Birmingham. Starts tonight as a matter of fact and goes through the whole weekend.
 grmpyolman
Msg: 104 (view)

How do I tell my 7 year old her dad's a jerk?
Posted: 6/7/2007 7:33:03 PM
Living proof.

My mother and father divorced when I was five. My father never said anything bad or negative about my mother....Ever. My mother on the other hand filled my ear with every single negative thing she could think of (or make up) every chance she got. It caused alot of confrontations with my mother and I began to hate her for it.

The point is in my mother's attempt to lessen the bond between my father and I by telling me all the negative things about him...it only drew us closer and actually had a reverse effect.
 grmpyolman

Dad n daughter holiday
Posted: 6/7/2007 7:22:26 PM
I haven't seen anybody mention swimming. My 3yr old can't get enough of swimming. It doesn't matter if it is a big pool someplace or a 10 dollar blow-up pool in your yard.
 grmpyolman

Helping or Hindering
Posted: 6/7/2007 7:12:19 PM
I think on the whole I would have to agree with you. Most parents are coddling their children excessively.
I myself put many years of thought into exactly how I was going to raise my boy in a way that would give him the best chances to grow up strong, tough, a man's man. I left out no details about the household structure, disciplne and honor that I would instill into my son's character. He would know how to be a gentleman, how to provide, be independent, and most impotantly...how to treat a lady.

But you know what....I had a daughter. And I coddle her every dam chance I get. LOL

My point is that...there are no garauntees. You do what you think is best and then you hope for the best. Even if you did everything right that doesn't mean you are going to get the results you wanted. There are some parents that do everything wrong yet they have the most well behaved children I've ever seen.
 grmpyolman

im a full time single mommy
Posted: 6/7/2007 3:18:00 PM
Really it all depends on the woman and how she feels about an outsider trying to help her raise HER children. If a woman expects me to love her children as if they were my own, then she better be able to at least discuss and come to some kind of agreement on which child rearing methods are acceptable.

My last relationship was utter HE11 because of this problem. I cannot stand aside and watch as a child completely controls the household. Then whenever I tried to help it immediately transformed into a 3 way war. Eventually Mommy and child came together and I was the one on the outside.

Needless to say it didn't work. As fate would have it though, now I am the single parent. There must be something terribly wrong with me...LOL
 grmpyolman

what do i say or do ?
Posted: 6/4/2007 11:18:18 AM
I have gone through the same thing with my daughter only she calls ladies her mommy. You just have to keep correcting them and let them know who the real one is. It is a phase and will soon pass. The harder one for me to deal with is when she says she wants her mommy. I am always at a loss on that one.
 grmpyolman
Msg: 7 (view)

Turning The Kids Over,Do We Ever Get Used To It?
Posted: 6/4/2007 10:55:02 AM
Three years now and I haven't had to do this yet. But I understand how you feel because after three years I still feel awful everyday when I leave her at daycare. She doesn't cry anymore when I leave her but turns her lip down, tears up and stares at me with her big blue eyes. Kills me!
 grmpyolman
Msg: 18 (view)

Anybody else not WANT child support?
Posted: 6/4/2007 8:45:34 AM
I am in the same position as the ladies here. I was awarded full custody with 300 a month in child support over three years ago. I have not seen a penny from my ex but have not once complained about it. Instead of wasting my time worrying about what she is or isn't doing I choose to spend that energy finding other ways to provide for my daughter.
Mom claims it is tearing her apart being away from her daughter but yet she has only seen her 3 times in 3 years. Actions speak louder I guess.

Show ALL Forums