Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Redid profile; wondering your thoughts
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 3 (view)

Redid profile; wondering your thoughts
Posted: 10/4/2011 12:08:19 AM
Tough crowd, eh?
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 2 (view)

Redid profile; wondering your thoughts
Posted: 10/1/2011 1:18:15 AM
Updated again, so let's take another crack at this - anyone able to offer some comments?
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 13 (view)

Confused and need male feedback.
Posted: 9/30/2011 11:15:18 PM
#1) Personally, I wouldn't read anything at all into the leaving the profile up part. Maybe it means something for other people, but not me.
#2) You don't have to be looking for something serious to find it. Why not discuss how you both view the relationship with him?
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 18 (view)

Does this count as Married?
Posted: 9/30/2011 11:06:15 PM
Is there a relationship status for "I treat my relationships as a joke"?
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 5 (view)

how recent do you require their last STD exam to have been?
Posted: 9/30/2011 11:03:03 PM

The only way you can know something like that is by trust

So...if you can't trust the other person, why are you sleeping with them in the first place?
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 33 (view)

A Lutheran perspective
Posted: 5/8/2011 1:16:19 AM

My question is; How does a loving God send someone like her to Hell.

He doesn't.

He didn't protect her and no one on this earth did either.

This gets into the "free will" realm, which is different from the salvation realm that you seem most concerned with here.

So, do you good Christians believe that a loving just God condemned her to burn in everlasting fire for eternity?

No, nor anyone else.

He loves us all, right?

Yes.

Salvation is not the result of following a bunch of rules, or of "accepting Jesus", or any other action a person can take. Salvation is of God, and given only by God, as a free gift of his grace and love. As Paul wrote, "For by grace you have been saved through faith, but it is not your own doing, it is the gift of God." We are all sinners, and there is no cutoff of the "good-enough" sinners from the rest. Rather, we are all saved by a merciful god, and should live well in joyous response to that.
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 25 (view)

Does this constitute plagiarism in academia? Is it possible to plagiarize yourself?
Posted: 5/8/2011 12:43:36 AM
I've had dozens of teachers try to claim this is plagiarism. Short answer: they're idiots. What they actually mean is that they want to force you to do more work for their class, and use "plagiarism" as a bogeyman to scare you into it.
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 16 (view)

Data Security
Posted: 3/1/2010 3:13:43 AM

I also wanted to mentioned, that with data security software / unerase / recovery / formatting tools you really do pay for what you get. Common sense says paid software applications are going to work far better than free tools, and provide better or more features.

This is complete garbage in every way possible. The free tools for this application are both stellar and more reliable than their proprietary alternatives. This is just someone trying to justify spending money they could have kept.
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 15 (view)

Data Security
Posted: 3/1/2010 3:12:02 AM
I use the 'shred' utility myself (Linux) - I think DBAN might just be a frontend to this. It's Free, and works a treat. You can also chose whether to leave the random bits or go through with an all-zeros pass when you're done.
 tonyyarusso

GPS
Posted: 3/1/2010 3:06:28 AM
The Garmin GPSMap 60CSx has the best antenna hands-down, which is a must for maintaining a signal lock in dense forest conditions. I've been just tickled with mine. It's more aimed at hiking than driving, but would work for both.
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 6 (view)

Attack of the microSD card
Posted: 3/1/2010 3:03:40 AM
The "can read, but can't write or erase" behavior is a pretty typical kind of failure. Your microSD card is using a FAT filesystem, and when that gets corrupted the fallback is to mount it read-only. Since this is a filesystem level problem, a bitstream copy and recovery (also what some have referred to as various tools' "RAW mode") will not work, as you will simply be copying the same problem back. Instead, you will need to use lower-level copy utilities like the Linux/UNIX 'cp', or maybe a fault-tolerant copy tool such as 'rdd', depending on the extent of the failure, to copy file at a time. (The Windows Explorer copy is garbage when anything isn't quite right.) Then reformat and restore file by file.
 tonyyarusso

What is a safe rate to lose weight?
Posted: 10/10/2009 2:04:57 AM
I too have heard the recommendation of one pound per week over any sustained period.
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 10 (view)

Everything is moving at the Speed of Light
Posted: 10/10/2009 2:04:02 AM

However I will add this. Relative to observers in some far, flung galaxy on the "other" side of the Universe, we would appear to be moving away from them at immense speeds, perhaps very close to the speed of light. This is due to the expansion of the Universe. And in fact, I've read somewhere that there could be regions that are sooo far away from us that IF we could observe such areas, we would see that they would appear to be receding away at speeds beyond that of light.

But of course these regions of space are totally inaccessible, totally unknowable and totally unobservable. Which I suppose is a neat way of protecting the edict that nothing travels faster than light. Nothing observable anyway.

As to the first, recent study has in fact shown that there is an "edge" of the observable universe that in the future will cause us to be able to see *less* of the universe, as not only is it expanding, but that expansion is accelerating. This means that more and more of the universe will begin moving away from Earth at greater than the speed of light, such that light emitted by them will never again reach us, so we should study them while we still can before they "blink out".

As far as how that relates to the second point, there is one thing allowed to move faster than the speed of light: space. Thus, if there is a chasm of space between you and another object, and that space is expanding really fast, it will look like that object is moving faster than the speed of light, even though neither you nor it are doing so relative to the immediately surrounding space. (This comes up a lot when looking at the inner workings of a black hole as well.)
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 7 (view)

Do guys ever want a girl as just a friend?
Posted: 10/10/2009 1:54:31 AM
Of course. It saddens me that this is a reasonable question (not your fault though).

Anyhoo, a male co-worker of mine has told me that it is impossible for a male and female to just be friends because deep down one always wants more. What do u guys think??

I think *that coworker* always wants more. So don't use him as a test subject.
 tonyyarusso

why are guys twofaced
Posted: 10/10/2009 1:50:53 AM
Your question shouldn't be "why are guys twofaced", but rather "how can I find the ones who aren't?". If you just make the generalization to start with, you're doomed to confirm it.
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 38 (view)

For our Northern friends
Posted: 10/10/2009 1:46:55 AM

You mean, if I hook up with a Canadoodlian, I get to have turkey day TWICE a year?
Where is that Canadadadodilian P.O.F. signup?

Indeed! I went to school in Canuckistan for a while, and one of my friends there also celebrated both, since her mom is from the US, so together we carried on the practice of double days of excessive amounts of food followed by a walk around the block and much sleeping. Only downside is that there's not a lot of selection of turkeys left in the Canadian grocery stores by the time late November rolls around, so we always ended up with a bird about twice the size we needed...
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 14 (view)

Perseids 2009
Posted: 8/11/2009 2:35:06 AM
I'm planning to head up north to Carlton Peak on the Superior Hiking Trail. It's a big bald rock high up near the Lake so should give a great full-sky view. Weather forecast says only 18% cloud cover too - awesome!
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 12 (view)

Cheap Hiking Snacks.
Posted: 7/29/2009 11:30:42 PM
Don't make your sandwiches in advance. Get various containers like the 1, 2, and 4 oz Nalgene bottles and use those to carry things like mustard, spices, etc. For peanut butter and jelly, use the refillable squeeze tubes from Coghlan's. Pita and tortillas won't squish like regular bread.

Buy your own dehydrator and learn how to use it. Not only will you save absurd amounts of money, but you'll get to use your imagination and eat what you like! Fruit wraps, banana/apple/apricot chips - odds are if you can eat it, you can dry it out and eat it later.

Fat content is good. You're out hiking, not trying some lame magazine diet on your couch at home, and it's a really dense way to pack in slow-burning calories.

If you plan your 3 main meals right, you'll find you don't need as many snacks, since you'll be burning through different parts of the meal at different parts of the day. Meals are way cheaper than snacks, so this will save you time, money, and weight in your pack.
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 13 (view)

New to road bikeing , any advice?
Posted: 7/29/2009 11:23:45 PM
Cars can do stupid things.

Learn and follow rules of the road.

Clipless pedals rock.

Drink plenty of water.

Ride longer, slower, then speed up the route later.

Wear a helmet, use lights at night - all the things your mom would tell you.
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 4 (view)

So what IS a good health care system?
Posted: 7/29/2009 11:19:44 PM
Single payer is clearly the best system - it then just becomes a question of addressing the other issues that can arise separate from that. Canada has waiting times for some things because they cover more of their population (all of them) with fewer doctors and machines, but that's unrelated to it being single payer. Also, that's certainly not for all procedures - while I was there I was able to get routine visits, blood work, x-rays, and an ultrasound without any wait at all.
 tonyyarusso

Cyclists please step in
Posted: 7/28/2009 1:43:49 PM
The more helpful picture would actually be of what's behind the bolt, but it looks like it will be a square taper spindle, so your torque spec is about 350 in-lbs.
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 95 (view)

How can you loose your salvation.
Posted: 7/28/2009 1:28:31 PM
1) Your friend is a nut.
2) Stop worrying about losing salvation and start worrying about what to do right now to show thankfulness for it.
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 21 (view)

Travelling faster than the speed of light..
Posted: 6/27/2009 5:30:16 AM
I'm not going to do the math for these particular figures, but I CAN tell you that if the train was travelling .9c relative to the track it was riding on, and you jumped off the train in a forward direction with a speed of another .9c relative to the train, your speed relative to the track would be approximately .94c. Isn't physics fun? ;)
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 10 (view)

Camping tips and recipes
Posted: 6/27/2009 5:20:09 AM
Oh, one last thing. If you want to take spaghetti backpacking, having it loose will result in it just cracking into tiny bits on the trail. Instead, take it out of the box, tie into tight bundles with string, and then vacuum-seal it if possible. The result is a club that could give you a serious head injury before breaking your precious pasta.
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 9 (view)

Camping tips and recipes
Posted: 6/27/2009 5:16:35 AM
Other things:

Forget the plastic / "footprints" *under* the tent. It's usually not necessary, and if done improperly more of a nuisance than protection. (Maybe still for base-camping or something.) Instead, get a roll of 4 mil plastic sheet, cut in a shape approximately 6-12" larger than the tent floor all the way around, and insert into the tent with the edges going up the walls in a "bathtub" configuration. If you choose your tent site properly and are vigilant about never wearing shoes inside the tent the floor should hold up to years of wear still and this is by far the most waterproof configuration.

People talk a lot about hanging food in trees to keep it away from bears. While that may be a nice idea, in most of the places I frequent the trees available simply don't make it practical, so we just don't bother. Seal everything well in Ziploc or similar plastic bags and just leave the food sack on the ground, but well away from the tent area. If possible, cook a ways away from the tents as well, and make sure to clean up thoroughly after each meal. If in an area where you're really worried about bears, stop for dinner an hour before your final campsite rather than cooking after setting up for the night.

Cut weight on things like tents and sleeping bags, not first aid kits and other necessary equipment. (I don't know why, but some people purporting to be "minimalist" end up just being flat-out stupid instead.)

If bring a cooler along car-camping, get one of those plastic-coated-fabric buckets and place the ice in that. No more puddles all around your food.

(For the record, I have no idea what jugs you're talking about - our family's car-camping ones are round, but with a flat spot on the bottom for setting on the bench and a screw-on spigot placed at what becomes the bottom, like a medieval keg. Also, I've never really liked "waterproofing" matches - it's way more effective to put them in a waterproof container like a camera film canister or shotgun shells like mentioned above than waxing and such.)
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 8 (view)

Camping tips and recipes
Posted: 6/27/2009 5:04:27 AM
Recipe: Pita Pizzas

Ingredients:
Pita bread (preferably NOT the pocket kind, nor pre-cut ones)
Pizza sauce (it's way easier if you get the squeeze bottle, plus plastic is admissible to more backcountry areas than cans)
Pepperoni
Green pepper
Black olives
Shredded cheese
Onion
Whatever else you'd put on a pizza
Olive oil (we carry it in one of the really tiny Nalgenes - just a couple ounces)

Materials:
A fairly adjustable camp stove (it's a little tricky to get the temperature right)
Frying pan WITH LID (should be a bit larger around than the pita, preferably non-stick)
Flipper
Spoon
Open cup or wide-mouth water bottle (the little plastic cups that come in most mess kits are perfect)
Cutting board
Sharp knife

Cut up pepperoni and vegetables ahead of time, unless you're an experience chef (fast) or like a challenge. You can start pre-heating the frying pan during this time if you're using cast-iron, but lightweight aluminum or titanium pans you won't want to leave on the flame empty and don't take long to warm up. Put some (potable) water in the cup and have handy near the stove. Once ready and the pan is hot (you want it a bit cooler than for pancakes), splash a small amount of oil in the pan and spread it around with the flipper, then toss a pita on. Once the first side is browned to your liking, flip it over. Now, you need to move fast to prevent this side from burning. Squirt some sauce on and spread evenly with the backside of the spoon. If cooking for a group, pre-determine who will be eating this one and take their order for toppings. Arrange meat and vegetables in the sauce (leave a little room at the edge though). Sprinkly fairly generous amounts of cheese to cover. Now, put your hand in the cup of water and scoop a little out and splash around the perimeter of the pan, between the edge of the pita and the edge of the pan. You want enough to generate plenty of steam, but not so much that you actually get your pita soggy. Immediately cover. Cooking time varies by stove and pan and is a little bit of an art to perfect, but you'll get it after a few tries. To check on it, crack the lid open as little as possible - it's ready when the cheese is well-melted. If it's not done yet, add just a few drops of water to replace the steam you let escape and recover. They should come out with the cheese all melty and the pita a nice golden brown (although minimal charring on some contact points is fine - just don't make charcoal). Remove with the flipper and serve directly onto the plate of the eater. Warning: they come off VERY hot, and are best eaten with knife and fork - you can do it with your hands, but a) it takes a while to cool off sufficiently, and b) until you get your topping technique down can be a bit messy.

For most people, each pita serves one. Some especially hungry teenage boys may take two. Works equally well for car-camping and backpacking, provided you have a frying pan that works for the latter.

Idea originally from a book entitled "Camping's Top Secrets", by Cliff Jacobson
 tonyyarusso

Python Programming
Posted: 6/27/2009 4:34:58 AM
"Dive Into Python", by Mark Pilgrim is a great start. It's available for free online (and installed by default on many Linux distributions), or in print from Apress. Beyond that, just buy everything O'Reilly and Apress have ever printed and go to town. :P
 tonyyarusso

handheld calendar recommendations?
Posted: 6/27/2009 4:32:04 AM
I'm currently using a Nokia N810 and love it. It's an internet tablet, which means it basically has all of the functionality of a laptop, but in something the size of your hand. In addition to the on-screen keyboard there's a slide-out hardware keyboard, so typing longer things is easier. The operating system environment is a Linux distribution called Maemo, which is based on Debian, and there are good-sized repositories of free software to choose from for it. I recommend the combination of GPE Calendar and Erminig, with the former being the actual calendar piece and the latter used for synchronizing that with Google Calendar. Connectivity is done through wifi like any laptop. In turn all of your other computers will have the ability to hook up with Google through things like iCal as well. GPE, Erminig, and Google all support multiple calendar profiles - my mom has separate ones for her own stuff and my grandma's appointments. It also gives you the capability of doing tons of other things, like browsing the web, reading e-mail, writing an essay, etc., but of course you don't *have* to. A company named Boxwave makes a leather case for it with some slots for credit cards and cash, making the whole works easy to carry as a slightly oversized wallet. My parents thought it was so cool they both bought one too. MSRP is $500, but they are available on Amazon for $250, which is an absolute steal. Definitely recommended.
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 77 (view)

why to date a geek?
Posted: 4/19/2009 4:10:38 PM

Oh yeah? I'm interested to hear which a "real geek" plays.

I believe the answer to that is the console-only version of nethack, anything from the bsdgames package, or moon-buggy.
 tonyyarusso

Could use some tips with a Digital Camera...
Posted: 4/18/2009 1:30:51 AM
Any introduction to basic photography concepts will be a major benefit, whether online, a book, or a class at your local camera store (although the latter is probably best). Once you have that under your belt at least you'll have some idea of what you're manipulating to produce a certain effect, even if it still involves a lot of trial and error to get just right. If you can, try to find a camera with as much manual control as possible - that way you can get a feel for various things even before jumping up to a DSLR.
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 35 (view)

buying a digital camera
Posted: 4/18/2009 1:27:27 AM
I would highly recommend checking out the site http://dpreview.com/ - they have comparison shopping tools, reviews, and explanations of lots of the different features and terminology involved in digital photography equipment. I've picked up three Canon cameras recently after researching there (the SD1100, A590, and G9), and they're all quite awesome. Canon is certainly a solid brand, and while there are plenty of others, they're what came out on top for the first purchase (the G9), and I like to stick with things that I like. Plus, I was rather intrigued to learn of the CHDK project for open-source third-party extensible firmware (http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK). While probably not necessary for most users, it's an interesting concept for getting more out of your point-and-shoot.

(As far as purchasing, there are often good deals on cameras and various other electronic equipment on http://newegg.com/)
 tonyyarusso

The Pirate Bay Founders Have Been Sentenced To Jail
Posted: 4/18/2009 1:20:58 AM
Very disappointing indeed. Although, I'm told that the level of court they were arguing the case in this time was a mix of politicians and one judge, while the one they will appeal to will be three real judges. Perhaps they'll get a more fair hearing on the second round (preferably with some people who understand the technology and the implications of such a ruling better). Bring on the appeals!
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 27 (view)

Loyalty to your country
Posted: 2/19/2009 7:50:17 PM
Absolutely not. My loyalty is given to more deserving things than political constructs, and I would refuse to take such a pledge. The only purpose such a thing could serve is to promote violent nationalism and provide a quasi-legal basis for suppression of dissent. (In the example posted in one reply, treason is already dealt with under existing laws and has nothing to do with requiring pledges.)
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 47 (view)

How did you learn to cook?
Posted: 10/27/2008 11:14:30 PM
Camping. If you're going to go out in the woods and burn twice the calories you normally do, it doesn't take long to learn out of necessity. I wasn't completely clueless to begin with, having some basics from my parents at home and at parks (we camped a lot together), but then began to develop my own on scout outings. Throw in a little competitive nature of teenage boys along with being really hungry and you'll understand why it's important to be able to come up with a seven course meal miles from civilization using only a campfire and Coleman stove. Way cool. I'm just now beginning to translate those skills into a "normal" kitchen...
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 22 (view)

Is cooking considered a gender role?
Posted: 10/27/2008 11:13:58 PM
Heck no, cooking can definitely be a "man's job". Actually, with the last girlfriend I had it pretty much had to be if I wanted to eat something that I considered "real food". :P

Seriously though, all gender roles are basically stupid, and ones that limit my involvement in something as integral to my being as food even more so.
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 11 (view)

A little physics riddle for the masses.
Posted: 10/26/2008 10:31:21 PM
There is not enough information given to provide an accurate answer. Had the OP said that both balls were released at the same time, then the answer would generally be that they hit the ground at basically the same time. However, since the situation allows time to elapse between the two drops, external factors could potentially come into play. For instance:
The planet could have a partially radioactive makeup and lose mass to space, resulting in a longer time for the second ball.
The planet could be collecting mass in the form of meteorites and such impacting its surface, resulting in a shorter time for the second ball.
The first ball could be left on the planet (increasing its mass), or tossed off into space before the second drop.
The planet could be accelerating into a black hole, causing untold complications involving the orientation of things, nearness to the speed of light, whether there is also angular momentum, and other sorts of things none of us really want to think about.

Ultimately, it all comes down to how you want to measure this. If we're going to pretend that the mass of the balls is statistically significant compared to the mass of the planet, then yes, they will actually fall differently, since the gravitational constant is actually dependent on BOTH masses. For any practical purpose though, the ball mass doesn't matter. By that same argument, most of my above leading questions don't either, but hey. Regardless, the difference made will not be measurable within your allowed number of significant digits no matter how hard you try, so it's a moot point.

So, now that I've explained that there really isn't a right answer, carry on with the bickering! :)
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 11 (view)

What are YOU reading lately?
Posted: 10/26/2008 10:24:22 PM
Backup & Recovery: Inexpensive Backup Solutions for Open Systems, by W. Curtis Preston (O'Reilly)
 tonyyarusso

biking to work
Posted: 10/26/2008 10:19:17 PM
Yeah, I bike to work semi-regularly. You _have_ to wear a SNELL-approved helmet less than 5 years old - that's just a given. Also, if your commute is around dawn or dusk (or just flat-out dark) get some nice lights. They range everywhere from $30 little sets to $600 for the best high-intensity rechargables. Reflective clothing is also great.

While you're at your local bike shop getting that stuff (and I mean bike shop, not department store with bike stuff), tell the staff where you're starting and ending and see if they have any recommendations. Chances are they'll know something about the route, or can refer you to a person or organization who will.

In terms of riding, use the shoulder when it exists generally. If there is no shoulder, ride smack in the middle of the lane. Pull away from the curb early when approaching an intersection that you will be going straight through but has a right turn lane, so you don't get cut off. I usually ride with the green lights, not the walk signals, but you can do both. Stop at stop lights and stop signs, don't ride drunk, etc. - you have the same responsibilities as a car. Yes, it will be dangerous, but if you play your cards right you can make it not significantly more dangerous than doing the commute in a car.

Oh, and have fun too!
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 56 (view)

why to date a geek?
Posted: 10/26/2008 9:32:55 PM

Can he recite π to 14 digits? Then hold me back.

And to think that's what's left in my brain still after having 8 years to forget... (Used to know 101)
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 6 (view)

Cold weather date ideas?
Posted: 10/26/2008 9:10:38 PM
Who says colder weather should stop you from being outside? Just bundle up! Then:
1) skating
2) snowball fights
3) sledding
4) camping
5) skiing
6) ice fishing
7) snowshoeing
 tonyyarusso

Chrons disease... anyone else have it or something similar?
Posted: 10/26/2008 2:46:56 AM
Yuppers, another one here. I can't say too much interesting though, only hopeful:
Diagnosed over 10 years ago, responded immediately to medication, no surgeries, in remission since (currently with just 6MP and some vitamins).
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 16 (view)

Blisters & socks
Posted: 10/26/2008 2:41:42 AM
Ditch the cotton, and wear two socks. An inner sock of thin silk (Winter Silks) and an outer one of wool (SmartWool) does the trick very nicely. Pricier than your average cotton 10-pack, but the way to go.
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 32 (view)

Crohns disease..... urgent help needed
Posted: 10/26/2008 2:39:19 AM
Wow, this situation certainly is quite awful... I too would be interested to know which drug regimens have been tried already, to see if some might still be left. There have been some pretty major advancements on that front in just the last few years, so it's possible that her doctors don't know all of them yet (or they might not yet be approved in Australia). I know Remicade had phenomenal success with patients who hadn't responded well to "traditional" treatments (although it terrifies me that Estonianvw had it in the past with a current age of 22, as it is NOT safe for children). If nothing works, definitely look into Crohn's-specific support groups, grief counselors, and clergy if applicable - with yourself and the children.

10 years in perfect remission - Remember that it can happen.
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 2 (view)

Concerns about Plastic Bottles and Containers
Posted: 10/26/2008 2:25:52 AM
Two quick notes here:
1) The danger of BPA is only significant when combined with high temperatures and steeping time. So, don't make your coffee or tea in a BPA-containing bottle, and you'll be fine.
2) A lot of bottles are now being marketed specifically with "BPA-free" labelling, and previously BPA-containing products are being changed out with alternatives, so it's getting rapidly easier to stay okay.
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 71 (view)

Freaking out when a girl looks through your cell phone..?
Posted: 10/26/2008 2:14:30 AM
Oh, he totally does. Either that or is in fact crazy.
 tonyyarusso

Dating over the US/Canada border
Posted: 10/26/2008 2:09:49 AM
Glad things worked out this time. For general reference, I've done a number of crossings myself (primarily Detroit-Windsor by car and Lester Pearson in Toronto by plane), and here are my recommendations:
Purpose of your trip: "Visiting a friend"
Length of stay: Whatever the real answer is.
Odds are that will be the end of it.
If they do press beyond that, it's:
Name of friend: Real name.
Address: Have an address pre-prepared of a local hotel. The border guards don't need to know whether you're staying with or near the friend, don't deserve to add your friend's address to the NSA database, and can't possibly follow up on it since you could always just not have had a reservation and found it to be full.

They'll never ask you about the friend's nationality or immigration status, unless they're crossing the border with you. They will however steal your lunch.

Oh, and a bonus question / answer pair:
Any bodies in the back of the car?: "No." (True story)
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 18 (view)

Giving out IM handle too personal?
Posted: 10/26/2008 1:52:48 AM
Eh, that sort of information for me is pretty easily found on the Internet anyway - I wouldn't hesitate to offer it to someone I was talking to here, but also wouldn't mind if they didn't want to reciprocate.
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 546 (view)

does anyone get as turned off with a smoker as i do?
Posted: 10/26/2008 1:49:16 AM
Definitely. Smoking's downright disgusting, and then as an added bonus makes me seriously question the overall judgment of the person in question, so it's just not worth bothering with.
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 72 (view)

Would you reject someone because of something in their profile?
Posted: 10/26/2008 1:10:00 AM
Yes, with the most simple things being the "do you smoke / do drugs" fields. There are also various things that would indicate that a long-term relationship would never work even if you could date for a little while, and I wouldn't bother in that case either.
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 1077 (view)

If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 10/26/2008 12:30:54 AM
It depends on the sort of mistakes. Small things happen - actual incompetency is different. Like a lot of others, I'd check the profile too, and I'd probably be inclined to give a response as a courtesy, but I doubt it would go anywhere.

Show ALL Forums