Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: have you lived?
 eeeo4U
Msg: 3 (view)

have you lived?
Posted: 1/19/2010 11:12:20 AM
Another thread on here..."Men of a Certain Age", the new TV series. One guy almost got hit by a car but he got the license plate...said he'd get somebody to "run the plate". His buddy said, "Run the plate? Who do you think you are? Mannix???" I knew exactly who Mannix was and wonder who else did...
 eeeo4U
Msg: 70 (view)

30 Years of Global Cooling Are Coming,
Posted: 1/13/2010 12:32:07 PM
I guess the company that makes Preparation H must issue an anal report...
 eeeo4U
Msg: 200 (view)

Obama disapproval on health care up to 52 percent
Posted: 1/13/2010 11:14:54 AM
That last post made a lot of sense. I can speak of my mother's family who came from Sicily, where the Mafia achieved the power and influence it had because it was considered an acceptable alternative to a greedy, corrupt and vicious government as exemplified by Mussolini. The system here is too unwieldy for a single payer system to work and many Americans expect, no, demand high quality even if they are unable or unwilling to pay for it...
 eeeo4U
Msg: 36 (view)

Six Veterans Died Every Day In 2008 Because They Were Uninsured
Posted: 1/13/2010 10:55:39 AM
OK, at the risk of being labeled unsympathetic, here is my stance. If you want and feel you need health care, get a job that offers it and hold it for 90 days, or if you go into business for yourself, wait until you have accumulated enough capital that health insurance is affordable. It's difficult but not impossible and mandated health care will make it more difficult for some undercapitalized businesses to hire people.

If you have a service-connected injury, disability, or condition, I believe it is the responsibility of the VA to provide quality treatment. However, PTSD is like the back injury of psychological conditions. Even though it may be real and acute and painful and terrifying, it is also easily faked. Personally, I feel if we have to spend government (actually our) money, might as well spend it on those who at least were willing to sign on the dotted line to die for this country rather than some other pet projects of this administration. That be said, relocation to sunny California, a free place to live, car to drive, clothes to wear and food to eat are not entitlements. They would be entitlements more for veterans than others (and if you stay the course and collect your 50% or 75% retirement, then you do get money that hopefully nobody can take away from you...)
 eeeo4U
Msg: 185 (view)

Erectile Dysfunction
Posted: 1/12/2010 3:30:16 PM
Going to the doctor confirmed my suspicions I was diabetic...lowered blood sugar, lost weight, improved circulation now let's hope no problem!!!
 eeeo4U
Msg: 34 (view)

Posted: 1/12/2010 8:36:00 AM
Yep, need to hire more pshrinks like the one who shot up Fort Hood...

I appreciate your characterizing WWII as a "noble conflict". Actually there were quite a few at the time, despite the attack on Pearl Harbor, who felt that the Japanese were provoked by our aid to Chaing Kai-shek and our embargo of petroleum and steel. They even justified the wholesale rape and torture of victimized nations by saying that the Japanese were a different culture and our opposition to them was racist (sound familiar?). Of course there were many more apologists and downright sycophants who felt Hitler had the right idea, those pushy Jews needed to be put in their place. People like Audie Murphy, the most decorated WWII vet, and Major General Robert Tryon Frederick, commander of the Devil's Brigade and my son's namesake, would today be characterized as suffering from PTSD for their inclination to get into bar fights and prolonged drinking binges.

Going back even further, the golden days (for TV and movies) of the American West owed some of their memorable moments to veterans of the American Civil War such as James Butler "Wild Bill" Hickok (Union) and Jesse James (Confederacy). I'm sure that Charlemagne's army and the legions of Julius Caesar produced their share of traumatized veterans as well...probably more since the crude weapons of the time produced prolonged, agonizing death.
 eeeo4U
Msg: 175 (view)

Posted: 1/6/2010 1:23:20 PM
Two solutions: Open up the health insurance market to nationwide, not state by state. Although on most issues I support "state's rights" (that doesn't make me a 1960's southern racist, just in favor of less federal power) I think that companies should be able to do business across state lines.

The next is bringing down individual rates so that they are competitive with corporate rates. COBRA doesn't need to cost a fortune either.
 eeeo4U
Msg: 53 (view)

New christian craze: Praying for Obama's death.
Posted: 1/6/2010 1:10:28 PM
Recently we saw the converse: liberals praying for Rush Limbaugh's death and spreading the rumors of Glenn Beck's demise...
 eeeo4U
Msg: 67 (view)

Obama Administration lies about jobs created or saved.
Posted: 1/6/2010 9:53:22 AM
Spend a million to make a billion??? Sounds like my philosophy and wish I had a spare million right now...and of that billion, probably 400 million goes to various taxes, if I give 100 million to charity to avoid taxes that should help the charity, and then there's the yacht, the Maybach, the Bugatti, the house in BevHills, the Rolexes and all the furnishings, the Gulfstream and the 15 mistresses (gotta be one-up on Tiger)...don't say that all that wouldn't help the economy!
 eeeo4U
Msg: 174 (view)

Posted: 1/6/2010 9:48:07 AM
Practicing good healthy measures is not what I was talking about. I was talking about more Americans becoming doctors and nurse practitioners...now the liability issues are so daunting that many think twice about the investment required. When someone has a $3000 tax refund and has the choice of starting a small business (let's say lawn mowing for example) or paying for mandated health insurance, less money is put into the economy, people remain shackled to their corporate/government existence and there is less competition for necessary services. I say, fine, have the debate, work out the issues, but right now we need to look short-term because people are starving right here. The health care benefits won't kick in until 2014 at the earliest which presupposes a high level of optimism for someone who is facing a tough midterm election this year...
 eeeo4U
Msg: 172 (view)

Posted: 1/5/2010 2:55:34 PM
I don't care if he tries to push through health care. I oppose it, believe the current system should favor the insurance companies less and encourage people to be medical practitioners instead of the opposite, but in his rush to accomplish too much in one year he forgets that most people who have no health care also have no jobs. Any excessive regulation be it cap and trade or health care discourages the formation of jobs in the private sector, and that must be stopped so that we can at least earn enough to pay for all this utopia!
 eeeo4U
Msg: 14 (view)

Obama Executive Order allows Interpol to operate in the US outside the Constitution
Posted: 1/5/2010 2:51:24 PM
Due to Catholic education, my parents sounded more like Tom Brokaw and Katie Couric...perfect diction with no regional accent to speak of. In Texas I'm considered a Yankee but almost everywhere else it is difficult to figure out where I came from. I like that not that there should be no diversity at all but not diversity at all costs.
 eeeo4U
Msg: 7 (view)

Why do we need such a large concentration of CIA in Afghanistan?
Posted: 1/5/2010 2:44:04 PM
I think personally, they'd rather be in Cancun--or the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. Last time I heard, those responsible for killing American civilians in America were in the general vicinity of the Middle East...
 eeeo4U
Msg: 68 (view)

Climategate
Posted: 12/31/2009 11:30:52 AM
OK, enough...if we're not suffering because of man-made global warming and they simply want us to return to a Stone Age existence, let them beat their laundry on a rock. I'll stick to Maytag.
 eeeo4U
Msg: 62 (view)

Terrorism is just a state of mind.
Posted: 12/31/2009 11:01:59 AM
I'm sure there are many good Muslims, but the ones who were shooting at me in Mogadishu and Beirut were not among their number. The Iraqis under Saddam in Gulf War One were just sent by an idiot to do an idiot's bidding...they couldn't wait to surrender once they realized we had food.
 eeeo4U
Msg: 63 (view)

Obama Administration lies about jobs created or saved.
Posted: 12/31/2009 10:33:28 AM
OK, how about some idiots who said that when BHO called in to the lame duck VA governor's radio program as "Barry from DC" he was pretending to be somebody else--heck he was Barry until he decided he would get more action as Barack and that was in college
 eeeo4U
Msg: 51 (view)

Keep Gitmo open!
Posted: 12/31/2009 10:29:55 AM
Now we also got to keep the gang members away from the guerrillas...especially after what happened in New York and NJ with gang members who converted in jail plotting terrorist activities...
 eeeo4U
Msg: 7 (view)

Obama Executive Order allows Interpol to operate in the US outside the Constitution
Posted: 12/31/2009 7:28:38 AM
Even paranoids have somebody who are out to get them!!! Seriously, folks, guess I just don't get it...if other ethnic groups priot to the Hispanics had resisted assmilation as strongly as they do I would have had a mother who sounded like Sophia Loren and a a dad who sounded like Liam Neeson. (Of course, if they looked like them as well I wouldn't need to be on here, lol...)
 eeeo4U
Msg: 6 (view)

Posted: 12/30/2009 2:41:38 PM
I can understand why they would print a form in Spanish...however my daughter is a native English speaker and doesn't require it. They could print hers in English only. The only reason HER card would be printed in both languages is so that someone else who does not read English could read it...
 eeeo4U
Msg: 48 (view)

Keep Gitmo open!
Posted: 12/30/2009 2:34:05 PM
I remember seeing the people from Thompson, IL talking about having the Gitmo detainees housed there would be such a boon to the town, and how may great-paying jobs with benefits would be created...what struck me was the two guys they showed on the news...a senior citizen wheezing on oxygen and a massively overweight member of the hip-hop baggy pants generation. If they were hired to guard trained terrorists watch out for downtown Chicago!
 eeeo4U
Msg: 40 (view)

Health Care Vote Puts Nelson 30 Points Down in Reelection Bid
Posted: 12/30/2009 2:25:55 PM
I actually feel for poor Schmucky Schumer, Chris Dodd and the Boxer-Feinstein twins...by getting on the bandwagon too early for Obamacare they cost their states millions of dollars in pork!!!
 eeeo4U
Msg: 4 (view)

Posted: 12/30/2009 2:21:52 PM
OK, so why in the heck is the Texas Proof of Insurance from State Farm printed in English and Spanish? My daughter does not speak Spanish, if she did State Farm would print one in that language so she could read her own insurance card...I think pretty soon we will be having Mexican cops patrolling the US. Better keep loads of cash handy or Coke will be poured up your noses for 1 mile over the speed limit...
 eeeo4U
Msg: 63 (view)

Climategate
Posted: 12/15/2009 2:17:51 PM
Flyguy and others...I love how you compare this to how somebody might say good food is bad for you...at least for a while we have the choice to eat what we want, even though that might end soon especially if the government gets more involved in health care. I personally say if you don't like the smell of burning rubber or the sound of eight cylinders straining to their limit, move to Bahston or somewhere else where the guys with the Priii get the babes...
 eeeo4U
Msg: 137 (view)

Poverty and Despair and Military Veterans
Posted: 12/15/2009 2:13:53 PM
Obama said the numbers on unemployment went down...therefore they must have lol!!! I scanned this thread and read about all the "horrible things" we veterans did, sorry, folks, in spite of your liberal wishes the primary purpose of the military is to hurt people and break things in the furtherance of AMERICAN objectives...not peacekeeping for the One World Order!
 eeeo4U
Msg: 74 (view)

Next Election and Obama
Posted: 12/15/2009 2:01:50 PM
I hope he loses...after having to see whether he can work with a Republican majority in both houses of Congress following the 2010 elections. However, if he works well with them then he will go up a notch in my book. My admiration for Bill Clinton only came out after I saw how well he worked with Newt Gingrich, and part of the Reagan legacy is his willingness to cooperate with Tip O'Neill and Teddy Kennedy...
 eeeo4U
Msg: 8 (view)

Veterans Make Up One in Four Homeless People in the United States
Posted: 12/15/2009 1:59:09 PM
Since I was helped when I was down and out, now that I am somewhat secure I feel it is my duty to help out those who are suffering. It doesn't need to be legislated by the government, it is my decision and mine alone. However, if they are going to be participating in adventures overseas the least they can do is take care of those who helped spread their ideology, right or wrong!

This said, life in California or other desirable areas should not be an entitlement--you should be able to live wherever you can afford to and if that place is boring, you supply your own form of "action"!!!
 eeeo4U
Msg: 25 (view)

Posted: 12/15/2009 1:53:42 PM
I have suffered from situational depression and near-despair but never PTSD...I don't know if this is a good or bad thing since it could mean I am a sociopathic killer...
 eeeo4U
Msg: 4 (view)

Veterans Make Up One in Four Homeless People in the United States
Posted: 11/12/2009 1:04:55 PM
I am in the process of starting a non-profit organization that will provide certain necessities to people who are struggling in these times. Namely, even though people have food stamps, things like paper products and grooming supplies are a necessity. Also gas for people to drive to job interviews--not everybody is lucky enough to live in an area served by public transportation.

As for the guy in LA, I have to say this and don't treat me like I'm mean-spirited or something. He chose to move there. He could have stayed presumably with family in Wisconsin, he could have saved money while on active duty. I was an infantry enlisted soldier and officer and while none of my civilian jobs have required me to participate in flanking maneuvers or vertical envelopment, the ability to accept hardship through discipline, the overcoming of fear, the focus on mission as well as your troops' welfare are all translatable to civilian employment in any career field.
 eeeo4U
Msg: 80 (view)

Ft Hood Incident Highlights Dangers of Gun Control
Posted: 11/10/2009 12:57:49 PM
I'd love to hear this trial and don't know but my idea of his defense is something like this:

"They were picking on me because I'm a Muslim (had a bumper sticker with Allah on it and was reported going to a radical mosque in Wash, DC area...) and have a mideastern name. Therefore I got angry they associated with terrorists. I decided to prove them wrong by committing an act they would suspect me of plotting!"
 eeeo4U
Msg: 6 (view)

Barak Obama wins the Nobel Peace Prize
Posted: 10/10/2009 8:58:50 AM
I noticed that previous Nobel laureates among Presidents/VP's of the US followed a certain pattern...Teddy Roosevelt (progressive Republican), Wilson, Carter, Algore (really???) and now Obama.

Ronald Reagan ended the cold war in conjunction with Mikhail Gorbachev...no Nobel for either.

Richard Nixon opened dialogue with mainland China with the help of Henry Kissinger...No Nobels there.

Just a thought...
 eeeo4U
Msg: 31 (view)

Offshore drilling vs. Alternative energy time to voice your opinion!
Posted: 10/5/2009 10:00:31 AM
Hitler, Mussolini, Franco and all those "right wing dictators" have more in common with left-wing statists from Stalin to Obama than they do with "right-wing" listeners to Beck, Savage and Limbaugh...
 eeeo4U
Msg: 70 (view)

What is happening with ACORN?
Posted: 10/5/2009 9:57:22 AM
OK guys, if you're going after Prescott Bush, let's not let Joseph P. Kennedy off the hook...Hitler's favorite Ambassador to the Court of St. James, bootlegger and patron of longtime Mafioso Ray Patriarca...
 eeeo4U
Msg: 350 (view)

Right wing radio host gets waterboarded for 7 seconds. Admits it is torture
Posted: 10/5/2009 9:54:07 AM
There is a problem with locking up our Al Quaeda/Taliban captives with regular criminals (Ordinary Decent Criminals as the Brits call them). They tend to proselytize those locked up alongside them, and feed off their feelings of disenfranchisement. Apparently gangbangers are willing to give up pork and liquor in exchange for a pass on beating women, and the right to strike at the government that imprisons them...
 eeeo4U
Msg: 18 (view)

Canadian Marc Emery is going to US jail.
Posted: 10/5/2009 9:47:19 AM
I think somewhere before I mentioned the names of William Bishop, Donald Blakeslee and Robert Tryon Frederick as Canadian war heroes; Bishop was actually Canadian. Blakeslee served in the RCAF Eagle Squadron but came from Ohio, Frederick commanded the U.S./Canadian Special Service Force, the "Devil's Brigade", the first successful multinational force in history--there is a square named for him at Canadian military HQ but he was a West Point graduate from California and a fellow officer of Ronald Reagan's from the CA National Guard.
 eeeo4U
Msg: 33 (view)

Capitalism
Posted: 10/5/2009 9:41:35 AM
I don't know what the Salvadoran man did at Circuit City, nor how much he made there (Circuit City is now bankrupt and apparently his cleaning business is thriving...)
I sense there is an underlying theme here, directed at Hispanics and Asians especially, that the immigrants somehow have an unfair advantage in that they have been abused by cruel dictators in their homelands, therefore know how to be obsequious, put their noses to the grindstone while we privileged Americans scream about human rights and what we are entitled to. It goes hand in glove with how low-paid Hispanics somehow have terrific credit ratings, after all they live 20 to a house and eat rice and beans. something us self-respecting Americans feel we are above.
Unless he is a general from some previously ousted regime who smuggled his country's riches out and waited for them to be forwarded from his offshore bank, his capital came from saving money, borrowing judiciously and repaying in a timely fashion. During that time his family probably had to live below their means which they were willing to do...his wife didn't need Calvin Klein fashions, his kids didn't need to go to private schools and have the latest i-phones (although their dad could have bought them at a discount working for an electronics retailer.) Sounds like he practiced sound personal financial management...although I don't know this for a fact. This kind of judgment is available to everyone. You can even be born here and practice it.
 eeeo4U
Msg: 333 (view)

Right wing radio host gets waterboarded for 7 seconds. Admits it is torture
Posted: 10/1/2009 11:49:51 AM
It was still part of SERE (survival, resistance, evasion, and escape) training for the U.S. Army in 1979 during the administration of the wonderfully benevolent Jimmy Carter...I hear the NAVY used it in BUD/S (SEAL) training as recently as 1995. Hopefully I suffered no brain damage for it (they did it to me for 30 seconds) but I would not recommend it as a recreational activity. "Good cop, bad cop" still works the best, I think, and there is no reason why actual torture needs to be used except that we are fighting an enemy who treats our civilization as weakness...that doesn't mean we have to be medieval inquisitors ourselves. There will always be traitors and informers and they need to be encouraged...if they are the main enemy and I feel the terrorists are now the main enemy.
 eeeo4U
Msg: 39 (view)

And the endoctrinization begins.........
Posted: 10/1/2009 11:42:11 AM
I went to a Catholic grade school in the 1960's--we were taught that JFK was one step away from canonization since he was Catholic. I wonder what they say about his propensity for indiscriminate, as one site put it..."boning?"
 eeeo4U
Msg: 12 (view)

Canadian Marc Emery is going to US jail.
Posted: 9/30/2009 9:53:52 AM
Is Canada the most spineless government? No that honor would go to Great Britain, both England and Scotland...they deny entry to Michael Savage while releasing the Lockerbie bomber for "compassionate" reasons. Personally I think the stuff should be legalized especially for legitimate medical reasons, taxed to the nth degree to retire the deficit, and "decriminalized" for all recreational use...this might put me at odds with fellow conservatives but I believe in the 1st as well as the 2nd and the rest of the amendments...
 eeeo4U
Msg: 31 (view)

And the endoctrinization begins.........
Posted: 9/30/2009 9:49:32 AM
Hmmm....5 terms for Obama? Well, his buddy "father" Qadhafi thinks our system sucks because he can't be President for life...
 eeeo4U
Msg: 48 (view)

Do Big Trucks turn on the Ladies???
Posted: 9/23/2009 4:01:22 PM
Hmmm....

I kinda like my Dodge Cummins and my Corvette and my Challenger too, so not only am I some kind of eco-criminal but underendowed as well. My only question is "Who peeked?"
 eeeo4U
Msg: 15 (view)

is it wrong to have sex on the first date
Posted: 9/23/2009 3:58:06 PM
Same answer as the "what's an old guy's equipment taste like?"

Depends
 eeeo4U
Msg: 5 (view)

satisfied women/ bumper sticker
Posted: 8/21/2009 5:51:44 PM
Some people really read way too much into things...personally I thought it was funny.
 eeeo4U
Msg: 11 (view)

Capitalism
Posted: 8/20/2009 2:54:49 PM
Don't know what's going to happen...I had either a financial or a contractural stake in 46 of the Chrysler dealerships closed...heck I thought I was immune but nobody is!
Several posts ago someone said that true socialism is when the successful person wants to help the unsuccessful succeed...this would be great but not if someone else decided who needs help and how much.
 eeeo4U
Msg: 21 (view)

Where Did it Go?
Posted: 2/20/2009 7:55:37 AM
I'm not being sarcastic...I don't see any office jobs other than serving the government and enforcing arcane oppressive legislation...looks like it's tailored for illegal immigrant amnesty to me...
 eeeo4U
Msg: 20 (view)

Corporate Welfare related with Bailout
Posted: 2/19/2009 3:34:19 PM
I work with dealers and hope the Big 3 stays alive...I personally think that maybe they have a problem since they do make what people really want but which is not "politically correct"...muscle cars with Hemis, 638-horsepower Corvettes, block-long Suburbans and 4X4 jacked-up diesel trucks are so darned offensive and harmful to the spotted owl, but the average Kentuckian or Coloradan (not the residents of Aspen though...) or Texan could care less, they're American to the nth degree! Besides I still think we need the arsenal of democracy although I guess Korea or China could build our tanks...heck, might as well hire them to be in our Army too...
 eeeo4U
Msg: 43 (view)

Ideas To Fix The Economy( for fun of course)
Posted: 2/19/2009 3:23:36 PM
I say start the whole money system over...no deficit, a dollar is worth a dollar, etc. You say we owe billions to the Chinese and others...let them try to collect. They could shut off our supply of mercury tainted fish and lead painted toys which would be actually a blessing. Or they could take military action...against our armed forces who will beat the living you-know-what out of another army, they just struggle with "insurgencies" from the native Americans through the Filipinos and Nicaraguans and the Vietnamese and currently in Iraq and Afghanistan...probably since we started as an "insurgency" ourselves...but since our several-generations obsolete warplane is I heard somewhere 106 and 0....we can just take national Chapter 7 and start fresh!!!
 eeeo4U
Msg: 19 (view)

Where Did it Go?
Posted: 2/19/2009 3:18:18 PM
OK, I guess I kinda wonder about the "infrastructure jobs" or "green jobs" Obama hopes to create. If you worked at Intel or Microsoft for the last 20 years, are 40 or 50 something, maybe once in a while went to a gym to pump up for the ladies but otherwise were a sedentary office worker, how are you going to operate a jackhammer in 100 degree heat and 98 percent humidity without doing permanent damage to yourself??? Maybe that's part of the plan...if you die or are permanently disabled, that's another job that comes available...
 eeeo4U
Msg: 41 (view)

Rahm Israel Emanuel
Posted: 12/1/2008 4:27:34 PM
Actually, his pro-Israeli stance was what I liked about this choice...
 eeeo4U
Msg: 25 (view)

Bush's Christmas Gift To The Dirty Fuel Industry
Posted: 12/1/2008 4:22:04 PM
Yep...heard they were putting some rebates on the things so even multi-billionaire Saudis can afford them...
 eeeo4U
Msg: 20 (view)

Remember the Minutemen?
Posted: 12/1/2008 4:15:56 PM
So, the Somalis are kinda scary here...just like they are pirates back home...hmm they were really scary back in '93 when some idiot stationed us there to "keep the peace" and distribute food to the starving hordes...

Show ALL Forums