Author Thread: Men 40+ and Childless
 bellazingara
Msg: 115 (view)

Men 40+ and Childless
Posted: 8/2/2011 9:55:00 PM
OP,

Some can and some can't.

Some have a desire to and some don't.

Some choose to wait for the right person/situation to bring a child into the world and some are less responsible about it.

There is nothing odd going on here.
 hells_angel
Msg: 17 (view)

Are you better at finding or being found?
Posted: 10/26/2009 6:17:44 PM
In the past when I contact someone based off of their profile, humor, pix and the basic vibe that I get from reading it; if we started an email exchange that eventually carried over to meeting in the real world that these dates were by far more fun and memorable than if they make the initial contact.

Yes I have had the same experience ....they worked out better when I made the first contact. I think when we are found by someone we might not normally have initiated contact with but they seem nice however, we are willing to give them a chance to prove us wrong. Perhaps we are on that date with a bit of a different mind-set than the excitement that comes with being on a date with someone you "hand-picked" yourself.
 hells_angel
Msg: 62 (view)

my boyfriend asked me for money
Posted: 10/26/2009 5:59:05 PM
Smells like a rotten fish...throw him back in the pond!

hells_angel
Msg: 93 (view)

I guess I just called my girlfriend fat
Posted: 2/10/2009 7:57:23 AM
LOL...this reminds me of the time my sister was play wrestling with her boyfriend. She was not overweight by any means but he was quite slim and could have used an extra 20 lbs himself. Anyhow, she told him to get off her because he was too heavy.

He said "You can't be serious! I'm like a butterfly on an elephant!" He was simply pointing out that he is not a heavy person but it didn't come out that way. She wanted to kill him.
 hells_angel
Msg: 14 (view)

Is being separated a huge liability
Posted: 2/9/2009 9:21:54 PM
I hear what you're saying Scott and while that can be the case too, in my industry many times I've come across separated couples who decide to stay together for financial reasons or for the kids etc...they have much more invested in the relationship so it makes it difficult for them to move forward even when the marriage is technically over.

In any case, I wish you all the best. Happy fishing!

hells_angel
Msg: 12 (view)

Is being separated a huge liability
Posted: 2/9/2009 8:52:18 PM
Hi Scott,

For me it's an automatic turn off . I've known two separated couples who decided to get back together (after telling everyone there was no hope in hell of reconciling ) the day before the final divorce papers were to be signed. Fact is people can have a change of heart during the separation period; which I guess is why there are mandatory waiting periods for these things.

If I'm looking to date with a view to developing a long term relationship with someone , I'm not going to go for someone who isn't "free and clear" from their last relationship or who hasn't taken the time to heal from it emotionally. A while back I got involved with a separated man who was two months away from finalizing his divorce when we met. Our lives ended up being in limbo for three years because his ex decided to prolong the divorce when she found out he was seeing someone. Eventually her shenanigans put a strain on our relationship and it fell apart. She got her wish in the end and three years of my life were pretty much wasted in the process. So yes, from my viewpoint there can be a huge liability when dating separated people.

hells_angel
Msg: 62 (view)

Ok Guys and Girls, need a little help with verbiage!
Posted: 2/9/2009 7:08:55 PM
Hi OP,

I think Saturday or Sunday brunch is always a great inexpensive date idea and actually prefer that to a fancy dinner when I'm first getting to know someone. Another option is to go out later for coffee and dessert instead of dinner.

But to answer your question, I personally don't like to discuss who's paying before the date. I always come prepared to pay my share even if I've been told ahead of time I'm being treated. When you are out for dinner and the cheque is brought to the table why not treat it as you would if you were there with a friend you would normally split the cost with? Let them review the bill with you and say something like "if we put in $xx.xx each that will cover everything".

hells_angel
Msg: 15 (view)

Would you date someone whos Best Friend was the opposite sex or there ex?
Posted: 2/9/2009 4:44:35 PM
If the best friend is of the opposite sex and they haven't crossed certain boundaries then I have no problem with that but if the best friend is the "ex" and there are no children involved then I'm outta there . Past experience has taught me to run like a dog away from that scenario!
 hells_angel
Msg: 106 (view)

Sensitive issues
Posted: 2/2/2009 10:34:36 AM
Hi OP,

I think you did the right thing by telling her sooner than later and more importantly being honest with her. No matter how much you try to sugar coat bad news, someone is still likely to get hurt. Kudos to you for not taking the easy way out and pulling the disappearing act.

Best Wishes,

hells_angel
Msg: 22 (view)

Did I do wrong
Posted: 1/31/2009 8:17:02 AM
No...you did not do any wrong. What a coincidence that her "friend" happened to see you on the other site It's too bad you lost your money on the paid site. I wouldn't have deleted my profile either so early into a relationship. I would hide my profile where possible, or just simply stop logging into the site until the relationship reaches the point where I'm certain I no longer need the profile and then go in and delete it.

I'd say she did you a favour by showing her true colours early on. Could be that she's not a very trusting person and/or she wasn't really that interested in taking things further and used it as an excuse to break it off.

Better luck next time
 hells_angel
Msg: 10 (view)

If you touch me, do you like me?
Posted: 11/24/2008 9:05:17 PM
Yes....I'm not touchy feely in general so if I touch someone or don't pull away when someone touches me then I really like them.
 hells_angel
Msg: 38 (view)

I just can't put my finger on it, but i doubt we'll see each other again...
Posted: 11/24/2008 8:57:04 PM
Hi OP,
That has happened to me a few times as well. Either I didn't feel any sparks or I realized I wasn't really ready to start dating again at that point in time.
 hells_angel
Msg: 20 (view)

If someone stands you up, should you make a stand?
Posted: 11/18/2008 4:13:29 PM
Sorry that happened to you.

But if we get people that do that to us, should we ask them what their Frikin' problem is??

What's the point? If they don't have the courtesy to give someone enough advance notice for cancelling--unless there was an emergency in which case it would have been mentioned after the fact, then what purpose is knowing why going to serve? You found out this woman is a flake, isn't that enough info right there?
 hells_angel
Msg: 21 (view)

Dating Setups:how many of you have had positive experiences?
Posted: 11/5/2008 7:38:25 PM
At 50/50 success rate you are doing pretty good. Most of my experiences have not been very positive. I know friends and family mean well but honestly sometimes I wonder what the heck they're thinking. A living, breathing person of the opposite sex is a good start but not enough on it's own to make a good match....lol
 hells_angel
Msg: 27 (view)

do people actually use this to meet friends???
Posted: 11/5/2008 6:55:56 PM
Yes...I am one of them....my definition of friends does not include "benefits".
 hells_angel
Msg: 75 (view)

HOW to travel alone
Posted: 10/18/2008 8:10:20 PM
Another option (as this is a dating site after all), is to pick a potential destination & to start writing people who live there. If you find one, two or seventeen people in that area that you might like to meet, it can be a lot of fun.

Great point! I'd forgotten about that one....I actually did that prior to visiting New Orleans several years ago. I met a nice guy from there online and we chatted regularly prior to my trip. When I arrived there we arranged to meet one evening and he showed me around town. Had a really nice time and we kept in contact when I returned. Great way to make new friends.
 HELLS_ANGEL
Msg: 56 (view)

A fascinating Concept that keeps me intrigued
Posted: 10/14/2008 6:29:41 PM

what I am talking about here is not needing a specific result or outcome from someone in a relationship. The freedom from a specific attachment, or in other words, NOT being attached to a specific outcome at all. How freeing would it be to love someone and not concern or worry yourself with whether or not they love you ???

Wouldn't that be a one-sided relationship? How can one be fulfilled in that scenario? Love is a basic need.
 hells_angel
Msg: 25 (view)

Odd Situation (Dating, but Not Falling for Her)
Posted: 10/14/2008 7:55:59 AM
Hi Nick,

I'm not going to bash you. You did the right thing by breaking it off. You gave it a shot and the feelings just weren't there. At 19 she's in a different life stage than you are, unlikely that it would have worked out long term. I'm glad you did it sooner than later. Having been in a similar situation myself (age wasn't an issue but we wanted different things in life), I wish things had ended things much much sooner than they did. It was really difficult to have that conversation nine months later. And, it's hard not to feel taken advantage of when so much time has passed before your partner finally decides to be honest with you about their feelings.

All the best,

H.A.
 hells_angel
Msg: 70 (view)

HOW to travel alone
Posted: 10/13/2008 10:30:48 PM
Hi Sweetlinn,

In September I took my very first "solo" trip to Costa Rica. I had done parts of previous trips on my own but never travelled completely alone before. I have to tell you it was one of the best experiences of my life and I will definitely travel alone more going forward. I met and connected with people I wouldn't have otherwise met; and saw places and experienced things I likely wouldn't have if I had been there with one of my usual travel buddies. I did not feel lonely there. People seemed to go out of their way to make me feel welcomed; and would invite me to join them regularly.

It's nice to be on your own schedule and have the freedom to make last minute changes or do things on a whim. When you travel with others you risk missing out on certain things because there will be times when you have to make concessions to accommodate them. You'll probably find that you'll be more outgoing than usual as well when you are there. To ease yourself into it, I would suggest trying an all inclusive type resort somewhere first. There are generally lots of activities going on that you can participate in without a partner and it's a great way to meet others there. Do some research on the net before you go so you are better prepared when you get there. It's good to find out about local customs and things like safety etc.... If you are armed with lots of information beforehand, it will take away some of the fear of travelling alone.

Best Wishes,

H.A.
 hells_angel
Msg: 7 (view)

Women going to bars alone
Posted: 10/8/2008 10:49:24 PM

I would be wondering what her motivation was... either she's there to hook up, or she's an alcoholic...

Wow....I didn't realize those were the only reasons to go to a bar...guess I have a lot to learn! Are women also not supposed to dine in a restaurant or go to a movie solo? No wonder so many of us are single...who knew!
 hells_angel
Msg: 64 (view)

Met this guy on POF - Tell me if I'm right....
Posted: 10/8/2008 10:20:28 PM
i'd like to point out, the OP has not clarified whether the 20 minutes her date spent on the phone was while she was with him in person or while they were driving in their separate cars to his place. everyone here is simply assuming the former. i think the OP needs to clarify that point before we jump to conclusions and form our opinions.

Actually the OP did clarify it in her orignal post:

We get there and he's on the cell phone. 20 minutes later... HE IS STILL ON THE CELL PHONE!!!!

There's two separate statements there stating he was already on a call when they arrived and continued to be on the call for 20 more minutes (while she waited). She didn't say they got there 20 minutes later and he had been on the cell phone...

At any rate, that's the part where I thought the OP's date was being rude. I don't think it's necessary to have a cell phone turned on during a date. It wasn't too long ago that cell phones weren't around, yet people seemed to manage just fine on dates without them.

hells_angel

Would you date a guy that kissed your sister?
Posted: 10/6/2008 8:09:43 PM
But my question is I had a bigger interest in the bartender sister. Basically my question is did kissing her sister disqualify me to her or is it irrelevant. I didn't know she was engaged, her sister lied to me and actually was the one to make the move on the kiss, so it's not like I was a jerk to her. Just curious what women with sisters would think in the situation.

In a nutshell yes it would disqualify you, not just with my sister but with any of my friends too. I'd feel like you were only showing interest in me because you found out my sister/friend was not available.

On a side note, if a woman I knew was kissing strangers in a bar while being engaged to someone else, I'd probably have a hard time believing that behaviour would stop after she married. I wouldn't want to be dating someone she swapped spit with if she has a tendency to "forget" she's already in a relationship.
 hells_angel
Msg: 8 (view)

Call Me
Posted: 10/6/2008 7:26:56 AM
I just delete those....if we've never chatted before why on earth would I just call some random number that ended up in my mailbox?
 hells_angel
Msg: 989 (view)

Why Do women dump men who are nice to them.
Posted: 10/3/2008 11:24:18 PM
not bitter,never got myself used like that,in fact,i got the house and collected child support.feel that any person that gets used is stupid for letting it happen.but i can read,saw those posts,and its too late to change it now.despise users even more than the ones that let it happen.but i figured you would back peddle when the possible suit got mentioned.you can have the last word,i do not care for you or the other thief.good night,hope you grow up some day and learn to buy your own things and treat people the right way.but for the record,get the guy on here you dumped,lets hear his side,not what you want us to think...

Now you're really talking smack....LOL Where in my post does it mention anything about jewellery or anything expensive for that matter? With your imagination you should really write books. Backpeddling???? Again...you're spewing garbage here and you've made assumptions about my character and financial position of which you know nothing about. If anyone needs to grow up here it certainly isn't me.
 hells_angel
Msg: 985 (view)

Posted: 10/3/2008 8:07:49 PM
^^^ WOW! Bitter much???? You're assuming I did nothing for him which was not the case. There was no jewellery or cars involved in my situation BTW so not sure where you got that impression in the first place. I did nice things for him and treated him to things I knew he liked on a regular basis. We broke up two years ago and are still on good terms.

Being "nice" isn't about buying expensive gifts for a woman...that's not what I was referring to when I said he treated me well--I was responding to the original post. If anyone's a "piece of work" here it certainly isn't me. Try being better informed before you spew garbage like that.
 hells_angel
Msg: 6 (view)

best french toast in the world.
Posted: 10/3/2008 7:59:23 PM
Sounds like a heart attack on a plate to me!
 hells_angel
Msg: 983 (view)

Posted: 10/3/2008 7:53:54 PM
I met a man who treated me well like that...better than anyone before him and after him. Problem is while he was falling for me I was still waiting for that "spark" to happen. I found him very attractive but something was missing. I tried for months and I wanted so much for him to be the one but it just wasn't happening for me. I felt bad that I was letting this terrific guy go but in the end I had to be true to myself and him. He deserves to be with someone who feels the same way about him as he does for her.

hells_angel
Msg: 26 (view)

what do you guys think about this?
Posted: 10/3/2008 6:41:31 PM

if I could find a woman who gives a good back massage I would marry her.
But alas,this mythical woman doesn't exist.

Try dating a massage therapist ;)

As for the OP's question....I'm with the others that say just be yourself.
 hells_angel
Msg: 35 (view)

what do you think about this situation?
Posted: 9/29/2008 4:45:37 PM

I'm single with three kids & some weeks I don't know whether to scratch my watch or wind my ass.

Oh that was priceless!!!
 hells_angel

I need advice...
Posted: 9/27/2008 6:20:18 AM
Hi OP,

After 6 months you weren't in the wrong for asking those questions. His lack of response/unwillingness to respond should tell you a lot though. It's not unreasonable for you to want to know where you stand after all that time; he certainly didn't go out of his way to clarify anything or put your mind at ease. Usually when someone throws your question back at you in reponse to your question they are avoiding telling you the truth. I would say it's time to distance yourself a bit and perhaps consider other options while he figures out what he wants.
 hells_angel
Msg: 61 (view)

How do I stop thinking about my expartner ?
Posted: 9/26/2008 7:02:59 AM
Hi Spencer,

It seems that you weren't ready to start another relationship with someone new when you did. As someone who had the misfortune to be in the same position as your current girlfriend, I would suggest that you stop leading her on if you are ready to leave her for your ex at the drop of a hat given the chance. You're not being true to yourself or her and you're wasting her time. She deserves to be with someone who can genuinely reciprocate her feelings.

You need more time than you've taken to heal. Keep focussing on your health and well being and the time will come when you feel ready to let go and move on. Killing time with another woman while you wait around for your ex to come back is not the answer.
 hells_angel
Msg: 19 (view)

When does a relationship move to a point where not calling is NOT CALLING?
Posted: 9/25/2008 6:27:43 AM
OP, you did nothing wrong. This woman is out of her mind. If she's acting like this when you're not even in a relationship what would she expect of you when you are? She's either super needy or a bit of a drama queen.
 hells_angel
Msg: 23 (view)

wanting to write to ex/girlfriend - your thoughts appreciated
Posted: 9/23/2008 4:29:01 PM
Hi OP,
As long as you don't have any expectations of re-kindling the relationship, writing to her is a good way to get closure. She'd likely appreciate your openess and honesty. So many times people walk away from each other and leave important things unsaid. Even if she doesn't respond, at least it will feel good to get things off your chest.

Best Wishes,

H.A.
 hells_angel
Msg: 94 (view)

How's this for weird ?!?
Posted: 9/22/2008 8:33:21 PM
Guard your bum and run for your life...unless you like that sort of thing
 hells_angel
Msg: 64 (view)

question for anyone
Posted: 9/22/2008 8:16:38 PM
Irish.....there is no happy ending in that scenario....you have a future and a new beginning to look forward to......walk away and don't look back.
 hells_angel

How to Not Hurt Feelings
Posted: 9/20/2008 7:56:28 PM
I agree with the others, just be honest. His feelings may get hurt initially but if he's a mature individual he will appreciate and respect your honesty and find it easier to move on.
 hells_angel
Msg: 248 (view)

Why is a great person like you single?
Posted: 9/18/2008 6:46:27 PM
Just lucky I guess!
 HELLS_ANGEL
Msg: 52 (view)

How long do you usually wait before meeting up with somebody you meet on POF?
Posted: 9/3/2008 6:34:01 PM
I don't have a set time frame. I've waited anywhere from one week to two years. I'd say two-three months has probably been the average for me overall.
 hells_angel
Msg: 12 (view)

EZ BBQ ribs falling off the bone
Posted: 9/1/2008 8:21:42 PM
^^^

it has been said that Coke will degrease your cement driveway,,,,go figure!

That's what makes it scary that people drink it. Imagine what it will do to your insides!
 hells_angel
Msg: 58 (view)

I need an excuse to get out of it....
Posted: 9/1/2008 7:57:49 PM
Sorry OP but that is a LAME excuse for going back on your word. It's not like it's an emergency that you're cancelling for. You can always record the game and watch it later. While it may not be the same as watching it live at least you won't have a guilty conscience while watching it knowing you did the right thing.....you do have a conscience don't you? LOL This isn't something like a movie where you can take a rain cheque and see it with her another time....it's a special one time event that she had to RSVP for. At this stage, if she ends up having to go alone because she can't find someone else to go 13 days before the wedding, it'll likely be too late for her to cancel for the guest she was originally going to bring. If it's a sit down dinner, the bride and groom will still have to cover the cost of your plate.

Do the grown-up thing and go. Your word is the only thing you can give someone and keep at the same time.
 hells_angel

Do you believe some are better at attracting others online, while some better in real life?
Posted: 8/28/2008 7:01:34 PM
Yes...I suck at it in real life as I am much more reserved and probably appear to be disinterested when I'm really not. Online I feel more free to express myself and be more open with others. Maybe it's being in the comfort of my own home that helps me be that way.
 hells_angel
Msg: 16 (view)

this girl likes me but has ex drama
Posted: 8/27/2008 6:56:07 PM
This one's always a bit tricky. I do believe that some people can remain friends with their ex's in the true sense of the word but those are few and far between. Others just need to close that door and move forward.

It sounds like this girl still has some emotional attachment to this guy beyond friendship. If they fight and argue constantly why would she still want to have him
around? After five years at some point she'd realize it's not healthy and let it go, unless of course she enjoys the drama of it all.

You can't tell her who her friends should be; you can only tell her how you feel about the situation, which you already did. At this point she's made it clear that having her ex in her life is more important to her than letting him go. If you don't feel she's ready to move on then tell her to contact you again when she is, and if you're still available and interested you can go out with her at that time.

Good Luck!
 hells_angel
Msg: 23 (view)

does he mean it when he says i'm just not ready
Posted: 8/26/2008 7:48:56 AM
He said that he likes me, he doesnt want to lose me, but he is worried that if we get into a relationship it will all go downhill and he doesnt think he would make a good boyfriend because at this exact moment he has no car, no job

Hi OP,

Sometimes they say what they mean and sometimes they just use it as an excuse.
I know I'm not a guy but I wanted to respond because I was in somewhat of a similiar situation. The "amazing guy" I was seeing had a job but then lost it a couple months into the relationship. Like your guy, he also told me he cared about me and didn't want to lose me and expressed concerns about not being a good boyfriend because of his situation. As it turns out I knew people who worked in the same industry he was in; so after a couple of months of him not having any success finding work, I pulled some strings to get him his dream job. He wasn't even on the job a week when he asked one of his co-workers out....LOL

All I can say is trust your gut on this one. When I look back I remember feeling at times that some of the things he said to me were questionable but I thought he was such an amazing guy that I ignored the little red flags.
 hells_angel
Msg: 276 (view)

Why would anyone want to date you?
Posted: 8/25/2008 7:41:19 AM
Don't know...been asking them that for years....LOL
 hells_angel

Did I overreact?
Posted: 8/24/2008 6:49:57 PM
Man....you're such a woman!

That was bad.....but good!
 hells_angel
Msg: 65 (view)

People who post pictures of them in their bed..
Posted: 8/23/2008 8:47:04 PM
LOL....it's funny I came across this thread just as I was wondering why people take pictures of themselves through the bathroom mirror. I cannot believe the number of bathroom shots I've seen in profiles lately. When did shower curtains become a cool backdrop to have in a pic? Now what's up with that???

Oh yeah...the bed thing....more often than not I think it will send the wrong message to the viewer. If someone is dressed and/or posing provocatively on a bed, looking for something serious/long term and states they don't want to be messaged by users looking for sexual encounters....it probably isn't gonna fly with most of the fishies on here.
 hells_angel

Have You Ever Been Someone's All?
Posted: 8/23/2008 2:04:37 PM
Yes I've been there and I agree it's quite the burden to carry. I felt suffocated. I don't know if it's love but if their happiness is that dependent on their S/O then there's a serious problem. It scary to be on the receiving end of that at times.
 hells_angel

why is this tactic used?
Posted: 8/23/2008 11:47:24 AM
I think that people either do this to avoid hurting someone's feelings and hope they don't get asked out again and/or that there's no follow through from the other person; OR, because they are genuinely interested but for some reason not quite ready to meet yet. They get freaked out as the date approaches then put it off by cancelling/re-scheduling until they feel more comfortable about meeting.
 hells_angel
Msg: 24 (view)

is is all my fault?
Posted: 8/22/2008 7:30:19 AM
It's one thing to tease a person about their idiosyncrasies.....perhaps they are known for being clumsy or always late. That they will likely see the humour in; but it seems you were insulting him more than teasing him. If he had to put up with your negative comments on a regular basis, then it's not surprising he wanted to get out of this relationship. Nobody wants to be with someone who puts them down regularly, they want to feel good about being with that person.

People will always remember how you made them feel so be careful what you say to someone. You'll catch more bees with honey than you will with vinegar.

Better luck next time.

H.A.
 hells_angel
Msg: 40 (view)

Do you ever get use to being single?
Posted: 8/21/2008 7:37:44 PM
Yes it is very possible....it's also possible to enjoy it if you take time to get re-acquainted with yourself. Ultimately you have to be happy with yourself before you can be happy in a relationship. You'll come to see too that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Embrace your singleness and enjoy it while it lasts!

Best Wishes,

H.A.

Show ALL Forums