Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Looking for a take-no-prisoners review
 hailey_smurff
Msg: 7 (view)

Looking for a take-no-prisoners review
Posted: 6/20/2014 10:10:07 PM
I would suggest deleting "keeping in shape is a plus" - the context is "no fat chicks" - which is rude
 hailey_smurff
Msg: 5 (view)

profile review please
Posted: 6/16/2014 11:44:20 AM
Ok, we agree. I do think a quick mention of a certain specific movie or genre is ok too. It's a quick relateble topic. But this profile is burdened by the topic.

I would say get rid of all the pics but the main. Especially the cap and gown pic. Do you really think that is an appealing look on a dating site?
 hailey_smurff
Msg: 3 (view)

profile review please
Posted: 6/15/2014 6:38:13 PM
I can not disagree more with PDA when she says list movies. Has anyone ever gotten a date because they like a certain movie?

This profile is what happens when someone lists movies. You get a long boring paragraph of films. Please, just delete the entire thing. Everyone likes movies. What you like is not WHO you are. If you want to mention something about movies , do it briefly.

Example: If you love Lord of the Rings, then we already have something in common.

So, you mention that you find activities that interest you, but don't mention them. Don't you think that is important in a dating profile? You even mention wanting to meet someone who shares similar interests, but you don't mention a single specific interest in your profile.
 hailey_smurff

Review?
Posted: 6/15/2014 6:17:37 PM
I agree the pics are terrible, immature, and just not appropriate. Save your pics with your hoody, masked friends for your facebook. This is a dating site. You are here to attract people, not terrify them.

"Alright quick summary of me...." = I am very lazy person and don't really want to make an effort on this site.

"I am always up for whatever and like to have fun." = Hemingway, watch out, there is a new kid in town!

The only thing of interest is going to underground music and not watching sports, those may make you stand apart, if you take the time to elaborate.

I suggest get over yourself, and actually put effort into your profile. Because you get out, what you put in.
 hailey_smurff

I could use some profile advice
Posted: 6/15/2014 6:03:25 PM
I think it is perfect. All 3 sentences.
 hailey_smurff

Any ideas on how to make it sound better?
Posted: 6/8/2014 5:55:19 PM
Is it possible to somehow get my time back from this thread?
 hailey_smurff

Any ideas on how to make it sound better?
Posted: 6/8/2014 3:21:38 PM
The pics are bad. Are you looking for a possible date for you or your friends? This is a dating site, not your facebook page. Keep the pics to you.

How are you going to get a date, when you clearly state you just looking to meet people. This is a dating site, people are here hoping to find a connection, date, relationship.

The lil you have written is decent. But I suggest if you are serious, you need to add actual content about dating.

Also delete the "haha" - nobody needs to be instructed to laugh.

I would also actually lead off with the part about running for public office. It is unusual, interesting and a great way to keep someone's interest off the start.
 hailey_smurff

Profile Review/help
Posted: 6/6/2014 8:45:24 PM
As for real advice....

You missed spelled the very first word of your profile - That is not a good start.

I'm really hoping English is a second language because some sentences sound like they were written by a toddler.

There is just very little info, other than a kinda creepy few sentences about liking kids. - delete or shorten this.

The pics need much more variety than just a giant close up of your face.

You need to put much more thought into telling the reader who you are, where you are going and what you enjoy.

There is just so little in the profile, that nobody is going to bother with you.
 hailey_smurff
Msg: 4 (view)

please review my profile
Posted: 6/6/2014 2:48:35 PM
Oh good grief ! Nobody comes to POF to read recycled jokes. Delete as soon as possible

The first paragraph is good. Then you warped into some lame joke universe.

If you are into philosophy or astronomy, those are interesting, so expand on them. If you are into yoga that is a great way to start a conversation, because there are so many girls who are into it as well.- talk about it.

Delete the part about what you are NOT into - keep it positive and what you ARE into.

You are an adult, you can write more than 1 paragraph about yourself. Go to it.

Needless to say, the pseudo school picture with no background does not help you.
 hailey_smurff

4 years on POF and still no luck?
Posted: 6/5/2014 11:11:05 AM
Much better profile, well done.

The pictures are still horrible, so that is a must.

I may have to ask other's opinions on this... but since you are asian, would it be in your best interest to mention the type of girl you are looking for? White / black / asian / everyone? It is possible some girls may avoid messaging, because they assume one way.

Also if you have been on POF 3 years, maybe it would be a good idea to change your photos quite often, and definitely switch the main pic once a week. If people see the same photo for months, they will generally just keep passing it by. and different photos give you an opportunity to "spark" something in someone.
 hailey_smurff

4 years on POF and still no luck?
Posted: 6/5/2014 9:43:36 AM
The list thing does not work here. It's not conversational. It's very robotic. It is not appealing. It shows no personality.

Delete your "dislikes"- keep everything positive.

Also, I think it's a lil creepy mentioning "spoil someone like a princess" - that should be saved for when dating someone. You are looking for a date. That is the first step.

Never ask someone to ask you questions- that shows laziness and if someone wanted to know something they will inquire, they don't need to be prompted
 hailey_smurff
Msg: 6 (view)

Review my profile, women only please!
Posted: 6/5/2014 8:11:56 AM
Your ridiculous bias thinking and closed mindedness say more about you than any profile.
 hailey_smurff

Review my profile, women only please!
Posted: 6/5/2014 8:00:14 AM
you can't discriminate when asking for help.

If you honestly wanted help with your profile, you wouldn't dismiss advice because of gender. I would be grateful for anyone's time they spend trying to help.
 hailey_smurff

Please review of my profile
Posted: 5/31/2014 7:00:06 PM
You didn't take Jen's advice which was spot on.

You start off negative and bitter....

Also, the very first word being grammatically wrong. Horrible first impression.

Criticizing online dating, when you are here and people you are seeking are here, is both hypocritical and rude.

There is zero content in your mashed-up, 1 paragraph profile that could be considered interesting.

You work, you like outdoors, you like music..... so does everyone else. Next profile !

You chin hair is also very unattractive. Wouldn't you want to put your best foot forward if you are on a dating site.
 hailey_smurff
Msg: 8 (view)

Need profile review please
Posted: 5/30/2014 4:04:27 PM
Is wearing jean shorts in pics against POF policy? Does anyone know?
 hailey_smurff

A little help with my profile please
Posted: 5/29/2014 12:23:33 PM
Your profile was well done. I don't see any issues.

Having standards is good thing. Perhaps, if you are more specific on the qualities and type of guy you are looking for, you will deter some of the guys that don't meet your standards.

But the nature of dating sites are having all types of people message, so just keep swimming until you get out of the seaweed.
 hailey_smurff

Any Advice?
Posted: 5/29/2014 7:39:48 AM
I thought the profile was good. I don't mind the bullet points.

It covered everything needed, it had very specific and memorable stuff, such was the love of horror genre.

It described the type of girl you are looking for.

I would suggest re-wording the part about "catching your eye" - strikes me as egocentric.

The pics are ok, but are not doing you any favors. You have a pic holding raw meet, standing in front of a scary cave, and a big rusty ship. Maybe more appealing backgrounds would be much better. Pics in a warm friendly setting would help.
 hailey_smurff

Please and thank you
Posted: 5/26/2014 8:21:05 AM
More people will take your profile seriously, if you put the effort to create actual paragraphs.

Kids make lists. Be an adult.

I honestly think people here have this fear of rejection, so if they make a half-hearted effort writing their profile and are not successful, they will have some external factor to blame.

It's ok if you actually put thought and consideration in your profile, you may fail sure, but you also have a much better chance to succeed.

I agree with Red..... that tie is gigantic! It's a terrible terrible outdated look. You are suppose to wear a suit, but that suit is definitely wearing you.
 hailey_smurff

Please review: getting no responses
Posted: 5/25/2014 2:36:59 PM
Much better, but still needs work.

It definitely has a negative and bitter undertones within it.

Re-word the negatives like :

"tolerate"
criticizing music genres
calling ppl simpeltons
criticizing bus patrons... how that makes it into a dating profile, the dating gods only know.

When describing another person, never ever ever use the word "should"... that SHOULD be common sense.
 hailey_smurff
Msg: 2 (view)

profile review please
Posted: 5/25/2014 2:26:44 PM
Nothing glaringly wrong. You do mention mountain biking and badminton in 2 different paragraphs.... delete the redundancy.

It might be a good idea to mention the type of person you are looking for.... it might help since this is a dating site.

Also, maybe mention, where you are in life, give someone a sense of what you are looking for, see if they can relate.
 hailey_smurff

Young Blood
Posted: 5/25/2014 4:50:59 AM
Your pictures are horrible, and the half-faced shadow picture is super creepy. Like "check your basement for bodies" creepy.

There are so many inappropriate things that should never be in a dating profile.

abuse of power
threatening co-workers
calling people your subordinates
talking about not having much time because of work

You do know this is a dating website right?

This profile just has the stench of someone trying to cover up some serious insecurities. Also, telling people you are funny is different than being funny.

I suggest sprinkle "your humor"- not pour it on.

Also it may help to mention the type of person who would make a good match for you... after all it is a dating site.
 hailey_smurff

Please review: getting no responses
Posted: 5/25/2014 4:35:34 AM
So let me just summarize

You like movies, tv, music and places.-

If you were a girl, name a single thing in your profile that is interesting or unique, let alone compelling enough for someone to message you? Can you name one?
 hailey_smurff

No luck at all :/
Posted: 5/22/2014 8:44:45 AM
Well your pictures are horrible. You are a cartoon. Look violent. Look dirty. And look high in the last.

You show very low intelligence and high laziness with the lack of even the most basic grammar.

I don't understand why someone would ask for advice, when they obviously have put zero effort.

Try taking the initiative and actually put thought and consideration into your profile.
 hailey_smurff

profile review
Posted: 5/18/2014 6:20:36 PM
It was a nice pleasant profile... i would suggest, since this is a dating website to actually mention something about dating. The type of person that would make a good match perhaps?

I would also keep in mind, the whole religious thing will definitely decrease your chances. That's just the reality.
 hailey_smurff

I would love some input on my profile
Posted: 5/18/2014 6:11:20 PM
You can put filters on, but nothing will stop getting messaged from unwanted people.

It is the nature of a dating website. If you jump into water, you are going to get wet.

Your profile is friendly and informative. You do smush the type of guy you are looking for, in the paragraph about yourself. I would move it down to the bottom paragraph.

Consider all the messages as a compliment for creating a profile that seems approachable by everyone.
 hailey_smurff

I've rewritten so many times recently....
Posted: 5/18/2014 5:54:39 PM
You have lived for almost 30 years and the best you can do is 6 tiny sentences?

I do like that you specify some relatable qualities a possible date may have.... but these should be well after you have described yourself.

But other than that, there is nothing there that makes you stand out.

What is there to find intriguing or compelling ? You hike and watch netflix... next profile please.

If you are serious, you definitely need to put more consideration into your profile... and personality.

At minimum give someone insight to what place in life you are, and what your plans for the future are.
 hailey_smurff

How's my profile look?
Posted: 5/17/2014 8:39:44 PM
Well written. Flowed well. Variety of pics.

How about taking it a bit further.

Try being a little more specific in what you are looking for in both qualities and activities.

Being so vague, may get you anyone, but not the right one. More than likely it will get you passed by.

As an insane example : If I saw a guy who was looking for a girl who loves Beiber, I would probably message him, because I see myself in what he is looking for. It's relatable.

And of course goes both ways. If I read how a guy plays video games all day, I would may respond to his message.

Of course both of these example are completely ridiculous.

Be specific. People assume they will alienate others by being doing so, but if you want success, it will help.
 hailey_smurff

profile review
Posted: 5/15/2014 1:59:48 PM
I thought it was a decent profile.

I would have liked you to mention your passions in life, since you did mention you have some.

Also, you best mention what qualities a man has you are looking for. Also mention, what place in life a guy should be, and what you are ultimately looking for.

Hi Ouija !
 hailey_smurff

same as everybody else, profile review please :)
Posted: 5/12/2014 3:17:47 PM
To start off, you look both unfriendly and more importantly angry in your pics. The the other one, looking like a happy family. Even though it's your sister, this is a dating site and not the most appropriate pic.

Delete, ASAP, the part of slapping and wrestling and telling someone to make a sandwich - the intent is not bad, but it's in bad taste for a dating profile.

Anyone else get an angry vibe from the profile?

Perhaps including more activities you may enjoy, more qualities someone may have, do you have your daughter full time? Will you be working and going to school?
 hailey_smurff

looking for some feedback aka profile review
Posted: 5/12/2014 2:53:20 PM
I think you hit all the main points in your profile... unfortunately you did it with zero personality.

I read it twice and couldn't remember a single thing you said. There was nothing intriguing that would make a person want to message you.

If you are kind and honest and generous... show us, don't tell us. Did you once return $10,00o you found? Did you help and old lady find her dog? Put stuff in there that someone will remember. "Ohhhh you are the guy that saved that ladies puppy !!!"

This is a dating site, wouldn't it be smart to actually mention something about dating? Is there room for a girlfriend or a date in between your sport buddies?

To narrow it down - What makes you different than others here?
 hailey_smurff
Msg: 12 (view)

I've got to be doing something wrong!
Posted: 5/11/2014 6:11:40 PM
I rarely critique pics, but you have 2 that are basically the same, and one unflattering one taken upwards.

Put the beakers down on your lunch break and get a few nice pics.

I have a hatred of (parentheses)- they are unnecessary, as most of the comments are actual sentences. It shows a complete lack of confidence which is the worst thing to have.

Have you ever heard the the saying about first impressions. Don't you think your first sentence should be something great and memorable?

Well you decided to start off with... "I love animals" - Do you know anyone that hates animals? Most people like animals.

Start of with something science-y. "Do you know the atomic weight of Bariumhydrochloricine?" Me either. But I should since I work in science...."

Specifics = Memorable. Instead of saying you like to learn how things work, give an example. Have you taken apart a car? a radio? a fan? There is a difference between telling someone what you are and showing them.

Clean up your grammar. Capitalize and apostroph-ize.

The "type of girl" you talk about is so unspecific, you may as not mention anything. In fact you start talking about yourself in that paragraph. It should be about the qualities SHE has.

This profile has no real structure- Think back to High School composition. Each paragraph should be related. Not just a rambling of mismatched thoughts.
 hailey_smurff
Msg: 10 (view)

Work in progress!!!
Posted: 5/11/2014 5:54:02 PM
I haven't done this in awhile, I'm a lil rusty.

I never suggest starting a sentence with a verb, it just seems impersonal and rushed. Part of a dating profile is to make the reader see you as a person and not a profile.

You have 2 paragraphs and the 2nd one is a resume on the past. That is a good conversation for when talking to someone. But people want to know about current and future.

Ask yourself why each sentence would compel someone to message you or respond. If it doesn't, write something that does.

Use your space more wisely here.
 hailey_smurff

Help Please
Posted: 12/20/2013 8:44:14 PM
It was a good description of yourself.

But you failed to direct the profile towards dating. This is a dating site, right? Try mention some activities or qualities a possible date may possess that would make her a good match.

If someone can relate to them, then they are more likely to respond or even message.
 hailey_smurff

hello, please critique my profile
Posted: 12/15/2013 3:40:47 AM
I usually don't comment on pics, but you need a better variety. 3 pics in 3 different sweaters. That is like type-casting yourself. I'll repeat.... variety !

Your first comment about not wanting anyone to see this profile = no confidence. Dating 101 says that is the absolute worst quality to posses.

Listing books, movies and bands you like has never earned anyone a date in the history of POF. More importantly it's BOOOOORING and makes the reader just want to go onto the next profile.

The paragraph that starts about being a student is FANTASTIC. It shows personality, and makes the reader feel like you are an actual person.

Never ever ever ever say you are just looking for friends.... this is a dating site and settle for nothing less. It's self-defeating.

My advice is complete get rid of your book, movies and bands listings.... it's mindless filler. Put some thought into who you are actually are and make it come across. Remember... things you like are NOT who you are.
 hailey_smurff

Review please.
Posted: 12/15/2013 3:20:54 AM
So you decide to start your profile with "What I'm looking for..." - Do you remember the saying about first impressions? Well the reader's first impression about you would be, selfish & self-serving. - It instantly puts the readers on the defensive about you.

Then you start talking about the soul, having uncomfortable conversations, and working on your honesty. Seriously? You are trying to get a date right?

"Yearn" - ??? "court a woman" - ??? - What year did this profile come from?

This is hilarious - you say having a girl who is well-read is important, then talk about LISTENING to several books a week.

The only viable piece of information about you is that you like to play golf. The rest are just jargon and adjectives, that are mostly meaningless. "I'm chivalrous, I'm old-fashion, I'm in touch with emotions"
95 % of this profile is intangible... ideally it would be 50 /50

example of what I mean: Intangible = I'm a great person. Tangible = I bike ride 4 times a week.
 hailey_smurff

Any advice helps!
Posted: 12/15/2013 3:01:29 AM
I don't think asking for a tour guide is a very good way to get a date...

If you are going to direct this profile for a new town, talking about how you like hanging out with friends and going to club with friends, doesn't seem relevant.

"I hope you like surprises / I look forward to getting to know you" - I find people who personalize an impersonal mass message as obnoxious and insincere.

Delete the part about telling others to ask you questions - that is lazy. Remember there is a 20: 1 guy/girl ratio.

Basically nothing in the profile is interesting, compelling, or memorable. - Is that what you want?
 hailey_smurff

Please review the french guy (in English!) :)
Posted: 11/30/2013 1:06:21 PM
Most people are here to find a date and relationship... your profile clearly has zero interest in that. You are more looking for buddies to hang out with in between trips.

Why would someone want to invest their time in you, if you just plan on leaving?

Links are against the rules.... this is not a place to advertise your music.
 hailey_smurff
Msg: 17 (view)

Getting the RIGHT attention?
Posted: 11/24/2013 7:09:21 PM
Direct the guys to this thread, and I'm sure your messages will be decline rapidly.

Problem solved.
 hailey_smurff

REALLY need help!
Posted: 11/23/2013 7:34:20 AM
The first thing I notice is picture of you partying, and hanging out in clubs, then your first line of your profile is "I am quiet". This is a red flag for me and many others... what is the truth? Is he trying to portray something he is not?

Very sarcastic sense of humor... but not one single sarcastic thing in the profile. contradiction !

"I have a lot of interests, and random stuff that I do in my life" Is the reader suppose to guess?

"I spend a lot of time thinking, about anything and everything!" Every person has thoughts, you are not special in that.

This profile is a case of a bunch of words without saying anything. You read it and 2 seconds have no idea anything you even read. It is fluff and has zero substance.

The only concrete thing is you "dabble" in music production.

Not once did you mention anything about dating. This is a dating profile right?

Suggestion = Erase and start all over.
 hailey_smurff
Msg: 13 (view)

Wanted: Profile help
Posted: 11/22/2013 7:48:45 PM
I am way out of practice doing this
 hailey_smurff

How 2 improve my profile
Posted: 11/3/2013 12:10:10 AM
You get out what you put in... and using my great math skills, you have put in a whole 3 sentences.

You have lived 40 + years and have come up with 3 sentences. 2 of those containing thing you DON'T like.

Until you put effort, thought, and consideration into your profile, expect lil in return.
 hailey_smurff
Msg: 10 (view)

could do with some tips.
Posted: 10/26/2013 8:38:12 PM
Ouija you have a pic up?

I was convinced you were a ghost.
 hailey_smurff

could do with some tips.
Posted: 10/25/2013 11:25:44 PM
How can you improve on perfection?
 hailey_smurff

Am I doing something wrong?
Posted: 10/21/2013 9:36:29 AM
*wheels out the Cliche-O-meter* ughh this is heavy ! *plugs it in... the room's lights momentarily go dim*

Laid back - Cliche? *meter bounces*
Likes Music - Check *meter goes up more*
Likes Movies- Check *meter implodes*

What is unique or interesting about your profile?
It is unmemorable and uninteresting
If you were a girl, what you message yourself about? Think about it.

You can do much much better.

I'm not moving this thing back, it's too heavy.
 hailey_smurff

Need help improving my profile
Posted: 10/20/2013 2:07:29 PM
You profile has nothing substantial in it.

"curvy women and older women get my blood flowing" = looking for a hook up

You get out what you put in.. and you have put zero effort into your profile.
 hailey_smurff

In need of a profile review
Posted: 10/19/2013 11:04:31 PM
Decent profile...

I would highly suggest changing "You will be a nice addition to my already fulfilling life."

That is super off-putting, as if a girl is some collectable for you. The goal would be intergrate lives equally.
 hailey_smurff

help, honestly
Posted: 10/19/2013 10:54:03 PM
I agree, who in high school needs POF?

Why would you want a profile review if you are succeeding in getting messages?

Answer = you like attention.

But you claim to not like attention = contradiction

I am weary of how real this profile is... no offense.
 hailey_smurff

Positive feedback required
Posted: 10/19/2013 10:43:14 PM
.... Awesom-o says "lame"
 hailey_smurff

Profile review please
Posted: 10/19/2013 12:54:48 AM
Can i nominate this for the creepiest line in POF history "I'm a kid magnet." - Then you go on to talk about being father figure for kids in your apartment building. And loving kids movies. - I'm 49 % sure this is innocent, but it comes off super super weird.

Unless you are swarmed with requests for dates, noting restriction on your profile is very negative and off-putting. After you meet someone then discuss ex's.

The only thing useable is the mention of outdoor activities.
 hailey_smurff
Msg: 18 (view)

Guess I'll give this a shot
Posted: 10/8/2013 6:15:57 AM
I am giving a standing ovation to Ryan for this post.

I am picturing you wearing an Abe Lincoln hat while giving this speech.

Man, for now..... forget this site, and forget the computer. The very first thing you need to do is right now get up and go for a healthy jog and leave this person behind. Forget him. Nobody wants to date him because he offers no value to anyone, including himself. The entire time you are running, remind yourself how much you hate that guy you just were, and how much that guy was missing out on what being alive really feels like.

When you return from that jog, he is gone. You're a new you... and you'll jog 4 times a week from this day on. Instead of leveling up your video game character, you're gonna start leveling up your real life character.

If you really want to start living life bud you need to PUSH yourself, get the F Out of your comfort zone and find comfort in being uncomfortable. Put yourself in situations that force you to socialize, force you to develop your personality, and force you to become the best version of yourself. THAT will be the guy girls want to date, and you won't need a computer to find friends, or even find love... But say you do use this site again.... when you take pictures of the person you've become say 90 days from now of doing all that.... I guarantee...that those new photos will project the enjoyment you have for life and the confidence you have in yourself... Girls will want to be a part of that... regardless of any type of appearance "limitations" you might think you have now.

But I know a bunch of strangers words won't make the difference, itll have to come from yourself... but I know from experience the longer you wait the deeper you'll dig.. and the harder it will be to come out.

Show ALL Forums