Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Health care
 cncgandolf
Msg: 468 (view)

Health care
Posted: 3/22/2010 10:57:14 AM
"I'm sure a lot more facts about the price of this bill will come out after the President signs it into law."

Actually, if you really want the facts vs either parties biases, than you ought to check out the myth busting on the topic and the known financials at www.factcheck.org

Not all of the provisions wait 4 years to happen, some immediately take effect.

No, it is not government run, there is no government option.

The motive for the impact on the 'cadillac' policies is to cause businesses to select normal policies and give the workers the difference in costs in pay ... pay that is subject to tax whereas the cadillac policy portion of their pay packages were not.

The changes in Medicare are the ones that John McCain proposed in 2008.

It is quite fun to read the truth vs the emotional hype of unfounded posts and the media.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 17 (view)

Accumulation versus simplifying - which phase are you in ?
Posted: 2/25/2010 12:14:47 AM
While not into having 'stuff' at any time in my life, I've still managed to collect some. There are some I'd just as soon keep. Not much. But, I loaned my home to my sister and her husband last year and put almost all my stuff in my shed. She finally got around to moving the vast majority of her stuff (she's the collector) to storage or her new place a couple of months ago and I moved back in.

I brought a plate, bowl a couple of pans... not much with me. My grand-nephew moved in last month, so I bought a $20 set of dishes.

Yep, stuffs in the shed. Can't seem to talk myself into doing anything about it. grins. Even at Christmas I couldn't talk myself into facing trying to find the decorations. hehehehe.

When I was 30 I took a job in No CA and what fit in my car went with me. Small car. I like the rule to this day.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 42 (view)

Dating Hygiene
Posted: 2/20/2010 1:31:20 AM
" The stinging pain was too great, had to stop half-way thru. My teeth hurt for a day or so (or should I say my gums). I am scared to try again. "

I did not stop them... the pain was intense (I have a very high pain threshold) my gums were burned and blotchy (apparently I picked a bad person to do the work) and it took a week for them to heal. Didn't do anything to the teeth. sigh. I would still like white teeth but am not going to try that way again. grins. Not doing the 'covers' cause everyone I've seen do them end up sounding like they have a speech impediment.

Maybe some day I'll find a less painful method that actually works.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 35 (view)

Dating and the Economy
Posted: 2/20/2010 1:23:20 AM
" I do think American women tend to be raised to consider how much money men have. "

I was raised to be fully self-supporting, but I will agree that I am the exception rather than the rule. Ole lizard brain stuff if nothing else. Men are the providers. If having his child results in 'my' not being able to provide for myself than "I' have a biological compulsion to make sure he can and will provide for both 'me' and his child. A woman ought not risk having a kid with someone (sex) if she cannot count on his being financially willing and capable of raising any offspring.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 30 (view)

at what point do you sell the big house?
Posted: 2/19/2010 2:40:45 AM
"they cite that the ones who got here first were forced into more schools, roads and bridges, etc. so that is the logic behind why we "newcomers" have to pay such high taxes!!! i"

who they? I was here for prop 13 and the reason CA stopped raising taxes on homeowners every year. It had not one tiny bit to do with 'here first.' It had everything to do with buying a home based upon the ability to pay the tax the year you buy it and going into foreclosure 10 years later because the taxes on it had tripled.

Yes, you pay at the rate you plan on paying when you buy it .... but your taxes won't go up either. How would you feel if it was you paying on 650k today but in 10 years you have to pay on 1,300K .. oops wait you can't ... your salary inflation didn't keep up with housing inflation.

Prop 13 works because people in CA don't tend to stay in their houses for decades. Every time a property sells its tax goes to the new property value. Yes, they are having an interesting time valuing them for tax purposes right now since they are selling below tax value.

CC
 cncgandolf
Msg: 34 (view)

Unrealistic Expectations and Lies
Posted: 2/19/2010 2:26:45 AM
" likes and enjoys problems and problem solving, so the word "problem" isn't a problem for me :-D"

I once did a workshop that had us imagining our concept of utopia. I put problems in utopia because I wouldn't know what to do with myself and the world sounded boring if there were no problems to solve. I've since learned how to live in serenity and without problems. I do enjoy finding more effective ways to do things and playing easy sudoku. grins.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 27 (view)

Dating and the Economy
Posted: 2/19/2010 2:14:07 AM
"I'm quite up front about my situation because I want to filter out all of those who think money and stuff are more important than relationships."

I applaud you go getter! Straight up and straight forward. Great foundation for a relationship in my book.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 15 (view)

Dating and the Economy
Posted: 2/14/2010 4:21:16 PM
"I am far more impressed with someone who can cope with the pressures of everyday life "

I have to agree. I also appreciate a person who can figure out how to have a good time without a price tag attached. Heck, stop and get 2 cans of 25 cent cola and a $5 subway to split. Picnic. All good fun. A walk with a bottle of $2buck chuck.

My under employed grand nephew just spent over $50 on valentine dinner. I know his girlfriend - she didn't need him to spend the money. It was his ego that needed to spend the money.

Sometimes when men think spending money on us is for us what is really happening is that their ego needs to show what great providers they are and being a great provider is defined as spending money.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 37 (view)

Ladies WTF ?
Posted: 2/14/2010 4:06:54 PM
"would look pretty darn silly if he had his mustache removed and replaced it with a tatooed mustache ? "

I find it a false comparative. Now if you always always kept your mustache but it was a bit sparse and you wanted to fill it in a bit, then I'd think it was a good comparative to enhance it slightly. Men do go to barbers who do know how to have them shape and enhance their mustaches.

I had permanent makeup done over a decade ago (which means it has pretty much faded away). I do have the portions of my eyebrows I don't want regularly waxed (I'd rather one yank of pain than plucking --- and they are not a pretty shape when not plucked). I am both blond and fine haired so the brow hair does need to be darkened.

If you can tell it was a tatt or permanent makeup then the person who did the work did a bad job. It ought to look like eyebrow powder only. It isn't supposed to be done with shaved brows.

I had the eye liner done too and have always been happy with it. I didn't have the lipliner done.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 290 (view)

Should men color the gray
Posted: 2/14/2010 3:54:30 PM
" ONLY if they highlight it, as well. If you just color it (same for women), it becomes all one color and looks fake/phony. Natural hair is MANY shades/highlights."

I'm a natural towhead so my hair sometimes lightens during the summer but hasn't done so the last few years, just a dark ash blond. Personally, as I've said here before, I really like salt/pepper hair on men. I'm not likely to go grey and two hairdressers kept wanting to 'highlight/lowlight' my hair.

I tried it. Wow! Reactions from any and everyone around me were amazingly complimentary. So, I have joined the 'try it and see if you like it' bandwagon. Took quite a bit of talking me into it and I am very pleased now. My hair is back to the look of my 30's. If you try it and don't like it then it will grow out. (instant memories of my sons going through their colored black goth days... shudder.. I kept reminding myself it would grow out. It has... so has the recent spiked bleach blond of younger son).
 cncgandolf
Msg: 117 (view)

The role of texting in a relationship when you're over 45
Posted: 2/9/2010 4:07:18 PM
"What about having his body pressed against the length of yours, his arms enveloping you as you press into the curve of his body as he whispers sweet nothings into your ear......."

Clearly this is the optimal condition. However, notice that you used text to communicate it. You just used a website instead. It is still text, just a different channel.

I've asked my carrier to turn off texting to me. Somehow the various ads - including from them - still make it through. They better not be charging me for them.

I don't have free text, I don't have fingers designed for the alpha-morse code my phone would require or the size of the ones with so called full keyboards. It is irritating to use them.

I don't have IM turned on because it was too disruptive to what I was doing when the IMs came in. (I was one of the original users of ICQ even before all the other IMs came out. ) I would find texting the same .. an intrusion on what I am doing.

When I am with someone I focus on them. I don't like interruptions from my focus. Texting is very intrusive. Now, if it is an emergency, fine.

Also, I am not so insecure as to need to receive or give reassurances all day. If we don't see each other, call me at bedtime for a snuggle talk.

Connie
 cncgandolf
Msg: 4 (view)

Pet Names
Posted: 1/21/2010 12:09:24 AM
'Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it to him"

Mentioning it had a consequence ... he pulled away. His opening email was responded to with an objection to the content. Some people don't like others finding fault with them right off the bat. After all, if a person I write is going to find fault with me in the first reply then I can only anticipate it getting worse and more fault finding thereafter.

Now, you might not be a faultfinding person, but he isn't going to hang around and give you another chance to find fault.

In some cultures men call women they don't know 'sweetheart' without meaning anything by it. Not my favorite thing to be called, but I just consider it cultural differences. I'll take a little more time to see how many other cultural differences we have.
 cncgandolf

California weather north to south
Posted: 1/20/2010 11:58:06 PM
"Being eight generations in California I know this goes in cycles,"

five generations here. The rains are almost a month early and much more severe than even the normal flood years. 1998 was last with rains like this and not this bad.

The weather across the world is becoming more severe. Some of it is naturally cyclic ... however the speed and intensity of the change is not normal... the normal cycle has been impacted.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 53 (view)

His or Her Grown Children.
Posted: 1/20/2010 11:52:03 PM
"I told her that I don't like her bf or her older sister's bf but I don't see them ending the relationships so I don't see why they should be expect me to do otherwise. As adults we just have to learn to tolerate one another's choice of partner or limit contact."

Exactly so. That's the rub. Have to do the holiday celebrations together. Need to all behave. I know mine do (previously proven). If his can't, then I'll either not do holidays with his (I'm already busy going to mine) or not do the relationship. I don't need to go socialize with people who find me intolerable. grins.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 52 (view)

Do any adults like Disney World without bringing kids?
Posted: 1/20/2010 11:44:54 PM
"They have a Swing Band "

I bet you've danced adjacent to my son and daughter-in-law. They go to swing dance Disney often. Max season pass. First date was Disney ... so he proposed to her at Disney 6 years to the day later.

Ah!!! That's who he interviewed with this week. grins. He practically lives in the park he may as well work for them. grins.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 187 (view)

Older women and motherly instincts
Posted: 1/14/2010 9:27:44 AM
"Actually, it's just the opposite. I used to think I knew in 30 seconds. Now I know better."

Very true. I don't regret getting to know a guy better .... I have regretted not getting to know him well enough.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 28 (view)

What's your favorite Disneyland ride?
Posted: 1/9/2010 7:27:55 PM
"My favorite Disney experience was the chance to ride Space Mountain with the lights on. Much scarier when you see how close the tolerances are between sections of track."

I took college level accounting from the accountant for the Space Mountain project the year it was being built. He regaled us with stories. The one I recall the most was that it was originally supposed to have the speed controlled by the weight of the passengers. Think about it..... yep, if a heavy car was behind a light car it would catch up and bump the one in front of it. grins. They had to change to controlled speed.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 134 (view)

The Constitution and religious freedom
Posted: 1/9/2010 7:24:03 PM
"What militant christians??? "

The militant so-called christians who have attacked Iraq. They are no better than the Jihad in their killings. Only their methods are different. People are just as dead in the name of god.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 35 (view)

Showing an adult child the door...
Posted: 1/7/2010 8:41:14 AM
"I believe that it is our responsibility as parents to prepare our children for adulthood.
If they are ill prepared for the real world then we have failed. "

I agree. If we baby them until the day they leave home than they are not prepared and having to learn the things our parents were supposed to teach us before we left home is not a healthy way to have to start our adult life.

My parents had me earning spending money with tasks above and beyond required chores as a young child. As a teen I got jobs ... first babysitting and then at a grill. I was used to the real world of working before graduation. I'd already experienced nepotism on a real job. grins. I grew up knowing that the day after graduation you were either going on to college or going out to work. I got free room and board under their rules and with chores so long as I was going to school full time. If not, I had to have a job and pay room and board or move out.

To this day I think it was the best thing they ever did for me. I repeated it with my own kids. Worked with the first 2. The 3rd ended up having to be kicked out with the locks changed to learn the lesson. Hardest thing I ever did in my whole life. Luckily he resurfaced 2 years later. He's still a financial flake, but the more I let him have his own consequences and don't save him from himself the more he grows up and doesn't behave financially destructive.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 107 (view)

Posted: 1/7/2010 8:22:35 AM
'Christain theocracies you mentioned are are horrendous, yes, but they are isolated incidents and not the norm for the totality of Christianity "

In the name of Christianity in years 2002 to 2009 over a hundred thousand Muslims have been killed and over 4000 American military have died and tens of thousands of Americans now suffer from PTSD and tens of thousands of families have been destroyed.

The current Christian theocracies are horrendous.

All of what I said about Bush is true. Claiming it is not doesn't make it not true. Go pull the reports from Congressional hearings and Bush's own public admissions.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 8 (view)

What about health care?
Posted: 1/7/2010 8:15:36 AM
"offers cutting-edge medical care in India at a fraction of what it costs elsewhere in the world. His flagship heart hospital charges $2,000, on average, for open-heart surgery, compared with hospitals in the U.S. that are paid between $20,000 and $100,000, depending on the complexity of the surgery."

Do a search on 'medical tourism' and you will find that there are many procedures in India and other countries which are offered in facilities better than the US medical facilities by doctors trained (often in the US) often in more current procedures than available in the US for less than the amount of deductible an insured person has to pay. The difference is so great that there are insurance companies who will pay 100% of the cost if the person is willing to travel to the foreign country for the medical care. The patient saves the deductible and the insurance company stills pays a ton less.

Why can they do this? 1) Significantly better cost controls. US mandates hospitals incur unreimbursed expenses for emergency care for those without money to pay. US mandates many cost incurring actions that jack up the cost of medical care ... for example, when my hand was broken the x-rays were required to be reviewed by doctors. The review was done the next day - hours after I had gone home. It provided nothing of value but added a couple thousand in cost. Nothing in the requirement said that the doctors had to review the films before the nurse practitioner put my hand in a half-cast.

2) Significantly less profiteering on the part of the insurance companies in their countries.

3) Significantly less profiteering on the part of lawyers in their countries.

4) Significanntly less profiteering on the part of patients suiing hospitals. (This item also looping back to increased costs in item 1.

They can offer procedures we cannot offer because item 3 and 4 have created such levels of risk in offering services that the government will not approve procedures in the US until long after they have been being successfully performed in other countries.

Risk free medical care comes at a huge price and we pay it in our medical system.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 105 (view)

Posted: 1/7/2010 8:00:50 AM
"I have friends in the San Diego area who have to remain anonymous "

ahhhhhh... gotta love the cover. Do they also call our president a marxist? hmmmmmm.... such bias. In any event the claim about the non-existent WMD being moved to Syria has been disproven before. The UN actions to control Iraq were working. Bush himself admitted this to be true.

Attacking them was unnecessary and not only distracted us from bring Al-Qaeda to justice but also fueled hate against America and increased the membership in Al-Qaeda.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 104 (view)

Posted: 1/7/2010 7:46:34 AM
"That assertion ignores all sorts of reliable evidence, known at the time, that just the opposite was true. "

Bush Administration has admitted that their claims at the time were false and have admitted that Saddam was not a threat to America or his neighbors. However, Republicans refuse to accept and admit that their leadership lied to them , conned America into an unfunded war for which they accept no responsibility for the cost in deficit spending nor precious military lives and hold on to their ill-informed convictions instead of accepting the facts admitted to by their own administration.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 137 (view)

Posted: 1/5/2010 2:16:47 PM
"as women age, their testestorone increases and they become more aggressive. On the other hand, many of them are in need of a cat, small dog, or a younger toy boy."

I found this claim surprising so I went hunting to see if I could find the psychologists saying this andI found them saying the exact opposite. Women normally have much less testosterone than men.... and even less post menopausal. As a result, they become less aggressive - not more. See http://www.abc.net.au/science/slab/testost/story.htm Go to the reference section for a list of several other articles supporting that there are decreasing levels
 cncgandolf
Msg: 134 (view)

Posted: 1/5/2010 1:57:52 PM
"Far too few women in their 50's who I have met and continue to meet have much sex drive left, even for George Clooney or other handsome celebrity. "

I had to look to see if this might be due to where you live .... Florida humidity maybe? Cause it sure is NOT true of all of the over 45 ... well into their 70s .. women I know in So Cal. I cannot think of a single woman friend who is not either getting some or self pleasuring until she does. Since we do know how to self pleasure it might just be that we are pickier about who we have sex with.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 87 (view)

Posted: 1/5/2010 1:39:49 PM
"(to free them from dictatorship that was severely harsh in the process of fighting terrorism). "

This was and, I see, remains the Bush Republican lie. Propaganda.

The truth is that the Iraqi economy was doing so well that they were going to switch their monetary base from the dollar to the Euro. The truth is that any student of Iraqi politics knew that disrupting their government would trigger a civil war within the country.

Sadam was not currently a significant problem nor was he a threat to us; and many other dictators were and are treating their citizens much much worse.

Attacking Iraq did not help us in our battles against Al Qaeda .... it gave Al Qaeda more power and time to build up their supporters against us.

Attacking Iraq was one of the most self-destructive things we could do in cost of precious military lives and engendering hate for America.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 86 (view)

Posted: 1/5/2010 1:32:14 PM
"Good God, do you really believe this?"

If by "Good God' you mean "Christ" than, yes. This was and still is the message of the Prince of Peace. Yes, I do believe it. Yes, I do practice it. Yes, it has worked in my life. Yes, I do recommend it.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 19 (view)

Posted: 12/31/2009 9:09:04 AM
"$500 bucks just to GET IN for a family four,"

I have now gone to DisneyWorld twice .... and it isn't nearly as good as Disneyland. grins. No grand entries to Small World or Pirates . Just doesn't have the same ambiance.

My grandkids have season passes to Disneyland

My daughter in law is there often to go to their Lindy swing dances.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 18 (view)

Posted: 12/31/2009 9:03:47 AM
"fondly remember Tom Sawyer's Island and the canoe trip to get on it."

Oh what fun too hide in the caves and startle people by jumping out.... to make the suspension bridge bobble as much as it could ... and the floating beer barrel bridge wobble.

canoes? heheheheheh imagine two filled with mariner girl scouts who know how to canoe and turn it into a race. Poor Disney employee.

Oh, and I remember my college friends working the jungle boat ride and how they had to plan when they would go off script and make up some fun patter without getting caught by quality control. grins.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 17 (view)

Posted: 12/31/2009 9:00:46 AM
"I have never been to and never want to go to Disneyland. "

Wow! I am so sorry for all that you have missed. Disneyland opened when I was about 7. Some of my happiest memories are of my Grandmother taking me. I remember my sister's taking me for 8th grade graduation. I remember going there on a double date to one of the first 'private parties'. My first time being there after midnight and joking about my friend would bring a pumpkin out of the ladies room just after midnight and say I realy had turned into one. I remember taking my children and feeling 9 years old all over again as we would run to each line. Now I get to enjoy taking my grandchildren and feel 9 years old again - with fast passes! yea!

I'm thrilled the electric light parade is back. I've always loved watching tinkerbell sliding down the wire ... and recall fondly my daughter's run to be where she walked by when she landed. Small World? Ahhhhh... I remember the first time I saw the Lincoln animatronics and how amazingly real his movements were .... likely one of my first tastes of pure pleasure in technological advances.

I've skied Kirkwood and many other places. I've driven in slalom races. I've sky dived and scuba dived. They are all great experiences. They are different than Disneyland. Not better or worse .... different. No way can they replace the feelings and experience of Disneyland.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 16 (view)

Posted: 12/31/2009 8:50:44 AM
"I have an old Ticket book in my memory box if anyone wants to go an a "C" ride (I think Dumbo qualifies)."

I have one too!! grins. Some day it might be worth more than the $14 it cost back then. ($7 for entry and $7 for ticket book).
 cncgandolf
Msg: 76 (view)

Posted: 12/31/2009 8:49:06 AM
"Every new Jewish settlement is a fresh reminder. It might not be fair or right, but it is what they relate to nonetheless--in the same way that you reject the encroachments of illegal aliens."

Great metaphor. It would be foolish of them to believe the Israeli government's empty promises, since there have been new Jews moving into the area even as their government swears and promises that they will move out. Every time they promise they find a new excuse not to keep their promise. Only a fool would believe them.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 75 (view)

Posted: 12/31/2009 8:39:47 AM
"Peace can only come when both "sides" want it more than they want to "win.""

It takes two to fight. When one responds with peace instead of fighting than the other has no one to fight.

Win the earth and you forfeit heaven. Earthly wars are not worth the price of eternal happiness.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 2 (view)

Posted: 12/30/2009 3:26:14 PM
"Anyone remember the boats near the autopia in tomarrowland? "

Yes, and the bumper air cars next to the submarine .... people on average got to heavy for them to work.

Matterhorn - absolutely. I've been taking grandkids for the last 5 years so they haven't been tall enough for some of the fun rides... getting there. I actually like shooting the laser pistols in buzz light year. grins. Always get that for my first fast pass.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 13 (view)

Did Walt Disney hate mothers?
Posted: 12/30/2009 3:20:50 PM
"Snow White? Sleeping Beauty? Cinderella?"

Walt Disney didn't write the stories. You have to go back to the original folklore to find the guys who hated women. Those 7 dwarves in the original are r-a-p-i-n-g her. Disney really really cleaned up the stories.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 45 (view)

Posted: 12/28/2009 12:52:05 PM
"I have nothing against Science, actually, science is very important to our existence. But it can become a tyrant just as much as politics and religion. Anything that assumes they are correct and wishes to close debate on the issue is hiding something,"

If I may clarify slightly, science is not what becomes the tyrant ... a person uses some scientifically developed information in a tyrannical way. The science itself was neutral. That is why you may find many scientists who are proponents of the concept of "Intelligent Design" - with the meaning of that term to be that there was some sort of creative power which initiated the world as we perceive it that some choose to call God or Allah or Goddess or Jehovah or The Great Spirit or ... dozens of names, different names through the ages.

So, tyrannical people use science, politics, religion and many other social influences to impact relationships. Some of them respond emotionally when questioned - such as accusations of rudeness.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 41 (view)

Posted: 12/27/2009 8:46:52 AM
"Why present the above idea as if it was a scientifically proven fact? Its only a theory "

Ahhhhhh... I love this critical thinking error. It is often used by conservatives. It twists the scientific approach to research out of all recognition. All research is theory and all research remains theory even after being researched. It becomes better understood but still theory. So, accurately phrased the comment would be that researchers of the Roman Empire and Mayan cultures have a better understanding of the fall of the two empires and the correlation between the size of the cultures and their fall has been shown to be statisticallly significant which would cause researchers to believe that size as a cause is a valid claim.

Personally, my favorite lesson in this area wasn't so much size but density. Psych 101 back in my freshman year of college. Watch what happens when you put too many of a species of animal in too small a space.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 40 (view)

Posted: 12/27/2009 8:39:32 AM
"Not sure where you got the idea about 'forced' belief if viewing things globally "

From High school American History classes. Sigh. Something is really wrong with our educational system when Americans do not know that many of those who came to America did so to escape religious persecution. That is why our constitution is adament about separation of religion and state. Not of spirituality and state, but of religion and state. There is a difference.

Christ as savior is a specific religious tenet. It is possible for people to have both what is now called Christmas and spirituality without accepting that specific religious tenet or having that tenet imposed upon them.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 39 (view)

Posted: 12/27/2009 8:36:45 AM
"It's called CHRISTmas with a capital "C". "

Only the C is capitalized and that is because it is a noun not because it refers to Christ (the C also capitalized because that is also a noun).

Christian's took over an existing holiday and used it as a reason to celebrate Christ's birth in the church calendar. The holiday existed already.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 323 (view)

Health care
Posted: 12/27/2009 8:27:58 AM
The following are so fraught with black and white thinking which misrepresents the situation that I will only note the worst offenders.

"1. Elimination of abstinence education. Despite polling showing the vast majority of parents want their children to be taught that abstinence is best,[1] the omnibus defunds the abstinence-based education program. In its place Congress creates another condom-based sex education program."

Abstinence ONLY education vs abstinence is best education are not the same thing. Every parent I know who is pro the use of condoms who is also an abstinence is best teacher. What we do know is that abstinence ONLY education is ineffective and that abstinence best but if you aren't going to do best then do these protections is the better education. Your poll isn't for abstinence only but for abstinence best. Not the same thing.

"3. Needle exchange. Tucked into the health portion of the bill is an allowance of federal taxpayer funds to be used for needle exchange programs whereby drug addicts can get new needles for turning in used needles. Ostensibly to prevent the spread of infection, these programs settle for "harm reduction" rather than overcoming drug addiction. The provision does allow local health agencies and local law enforcement to "opt-out.""

The provision of a needle exchange does not eliminate nor reduce the programs for reducing addictive behaviors. Also, please don't limit those programs to drugs. Food, work, OCD of any kind, weight (high or low), alcohol, prescription drugs ... the list of means of dealing with life through addictive behaviors is endless.

"7. Limiting free speech. The omnibus bill drops a ban on federal funds being used to enforce or implement the "Fairness Doctrine." This policy would have the effect of shutting down conservative talk radio programs."

This comment fails to note the heavy financing of the conservative movement by the wealthy who fund the Republican party. All talk radio programs should be self funded. If this bill were able to shut down conservative talk radio than it would concurrently shut down NPR.

"8. Ending the D.C. Scholarship Program. For five years, thousands of D.C. families have been able to send their children to safe and effective private schools. But the omnibus bill allows no new entrants into the program--despite a 2009 Department of Education report showing a statistically significant increase in reading scores for scholarship students.[2]"

Why should D.C. children get to go to private schools when East L.A. children do not get such a scholarship program? Provide the scholarships to all US children or to none.

"10. Taxpayer-financed domestic partner benefits. The bill lifts a longstanding ban on the use of federal taxpayer funds to pay for health care benefits for domestic partners of D.C. employees. Federal funds would also now be used for domestic partnership registration."

When people refuse to allow domestic partners the title "married" by claiming that they do not need to do that in order for all domestic partners to have the same rights as 'married' people then you have to lift all bans against domestic partners having the same rights as married people. Domestic partner and married are either legally the same rights or those domestic partners who want to marry need the right to marry. You cannot have it both ways.

"11. Legalized medical marijuana. The bill gives D.C. the ability to use local funds to start and implement a medical marijuana program. This comes at a time when, according to a recent article in the Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles is attempting to reel in its program. Medical marijuana dispensaries have become one of the fastest-growing industries in the city, with some 1,000 dispensaries cropping up since 2004.[3]"

Marijuana is a drug ... no different in the abusive use of it than valium or vicodin or any number of prescription drugs. Legalizing it increases the opportunity to control the use. Much the same as prescriptions help control the use of prescription narcotics. Criminalizing it doesn't cut down on the use, it just fills our jails with sick people not bad people. D.C. residents should have the same rights to medical marijuana as CA people do. It is a legal prescription drug here.

For more debunking of conservative false and misleading claims see fact ceck dot org.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 25 (view)

Unrealistic Expectations and Lies
Posted: 12/23/2009 12:39:31 AM
Not all roses have thorns. Not all bees die when they sting.

All words do have connotations ... and intonations, too. As a resut, they can impact our attitudes and feelings about our current lives. A goal of 'no problems' if it means under any synonym of the word might be a tad unrealistic ... but still a good goal. I agree with those who would rather be around someone who sees 'life happens' as living out the life we are dealt with a good attitude than to have someone around them who just has to have problems.

This conversation reminds me of long ago when I was working a project that had a 'problems log' ... I had them change the name to 'issues log' and 'action items list' ... I just thought it would be less upsetting to the customer. Extra benefit was everyone felt better dealing with issues and action items instead of problems. Amazing the power of a connotation.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 66 (view)

Odd Relationship History
Posted: 12/23/2009 12:10:27 AM
"hasn't had a relationship last more than 2 years? Would you consider having a relationship with such a person?"

If I was ok with it ending in 2 years or not, yes. If it actually lasted over 2 years I'd be pleasently surprised. If it lasted over 4 years I'd think it might be a change for him and might actually last.

I hate most philisms but it is true that the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. My personal favorite is a person who meets a person in a bar and they get drunk and then the person is shocked that when they start dating regularly the person is drunk in bars. Sheeeeesh. an idiot could predict it.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 32 (view)

Are we harder to date at
Posted: 11/30/2009 9:53:02 AM
"( her preferences, not core values)."

Even as late as my 30's my self-esteem was so low that any male interested in me was wanted.... I had no filter whatsoever ... not values or preferences. Today I have more self-esteem and that does increase the filtering. I'm no longer desperate for a relationship. Interested in me is not sufficient criteria.

Could I take this to far? Heck, I'd like enough options to have that problem. grins.

Do I need to leave the Internet to do so? I go karaoke .... and the available males are either bar flys or married cheaters.... does refusing them count as value or preference?

My upcoming cruise is a big band theme. I didn't know that originally, but I like big band dancing. It is an Italian cruise line, which will be very different for me. So, hmmmmmm.... we shall see. Last cruise the singles mixer offered up one very good looking smooth talking cad. Luckily, I didn't fall for the smooth talk. grins. But, it was a fun time being smooth talked. I'll know by the 21st.

Meanwhile, do some get stuck in their ways? Yes. Some of us are prefectly content to continue being single. That isn't the same as being closed off to being a couple. Let the friend have her preferences and singlehood.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 31 (view)

Dating people with problem kids
Posted: 11/27/2009 9:25:48 AM
"enabling makes a certain type of bed to lie in...one that I refuse to lie in."

Kicking my youngest son out the door and locking it behind him was the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life. He was gone for 2 years. He's back... doing better but not excellently ... different from his older brother who has always been very responsible.

I have a rule about making beds.... if you don't like the way it is made, don't lie in it - remake it until you do like it.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 31 (view)

Do any adults like Disney World without bringing kids?
Posted: 11/27/2009 9:13:52 AM
"what ever floats your boat"

Ok... Disneyland opened about when I was 7 and I went. I've gone with various gaps in time ever since. I've gone with/without kids. I have a rule... as I walk through the gates I turn into a 9 year old who is very good about following rules. grins.

I run to the next ride. Now that they have the fast passes I get my next one just before I use my last one. I let go and have a blast. I love roller coasters. I love racing around tom sawyer's island. I love CA adventure... especially the experience of flying over CA. With the grandkids I was back to having season passes. grins. I love going with them, too. Soon as they are both over 7 we will have fun acting the same age.

The original question was about going to a DisneyWorld (been twice, prefer Disneyland ) Wine and Food festival. I've been to such festivals in other places and would consider that fun, but I wouldn't consider it a visit to the theme parks. I wouldn't consider going to Epcot a visit to the theme park, either.

Having been raised on the beach I would never consider a day at Disneyland as a day requiring me to forfeit the beach. I want both in my life. Neither every day ... although I doubt I'll ever want to live away from the beach again in my life.
 cncgandolf

Asking-a-guy, about Dating over 45, & holiday expectations
Posted: 11/22/2009 6:30:46 PM
"unrealistic to have expected holidays together"

If you had expected it before the strong invite, yes. But, you didn't. He insisted it was worth it... and then retracted the invitation later. That wasn't an expectation - it was an offer retracted. You have every right to be disappointed. It is important to feel disappointed when something we've been planning falls through. It is equally important to learn any lessons in the experience and not let the single experience ruin a budding relationship.

You now know... for future reference and lowering of expectation ... that this person retracts offers. Ok. once is only a yellow flag. grins. Only an issue if you are shocked that it might happen again.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 30 (view)

Sex is sex and we no longer need to give or receive affection? What has happened to our age group?
Posted: 11/22/2009 5:53:07 PM
"Maybe if people started "squandering" a little more affection, a lot of senseless acts against humanity would lessen."

I agree. I just had a celebratory lunch with a group of friends. We all showed affection with each other... including hugs all around as we departed after enjoying smiles and laughes and good food and ... a good time with lots of affection for all.

We trust each other. We trust each other to care and we trust that if something one of us says hurts then we likely took it the wrong way cause we know that none of us would intentionally hurt any one of us ... or the person made a mistake... and we know we've made our share of those.

Because we have earned our trusts we can risk affection and know we won't be rejected. So, that is one way people can feel free to be affectionate... or not. However, I'm willing to bet there are lots of reasons ... more each and every year of life ... why people stop risking being affectionate and claim not to need it.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 29 (view)

Commitment, a unique or generalized pledge?
Posted: 11/19/2009 3:53:29 PM
"My idealogy of commintment has changed. Before, I thought marriage was the ultimate commitment, whereas now a life partnership is my aspiration."

Well said. At 19 I had this fantasy of living for 100s of years (by the time we were over 50 I figured they'd have figured out how to replace all the wearing out parts) totally 'joined at the hip.' Doing everything together. Totally in synch. la la la la la.

Since we would have built it together we would have owned it all together.

Today I have built it and I'd love to have a monogamou life partner, but I am not interested in merging what we have built by getting married. No name changing or financial mixing for me. No joined at the hip.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 153 (view)

Do you like the USA?
Posted: 11/12/2009 11:44:32 PM
"Anyone that equates someone else making money, especially large amounts, legally, with greed, is simply jealous and thinks they deserve some of their money."

Still not true ... for the same reasons as I gave before. Many previously illegal business transactions were changed to legal transactions during the Bush administration ... and even in Clinton's ... which have facilitated the greed of those making large amounts of money to the detriment of the society as a whole. Short term gains for a few which harm many people who are hard working Americans living decent, moral, ethical, financially responsible lives.

If some greedy person wants to take greedy risks and they are the only one at risk ... that is on them. However, when the laws are changed such that the greed of the few is paid for at the expense of all of thosse who were not greedy, that isn't good.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 489 (view)

Oct 5th entry in My Utmost for His Highest....defining sin
Posted: 11/12/2009 11:35:54 PM
"one would not be punished by God for his "sins", but rather would have a karmic response to his actions. "

Isn't this just 2 ways of saying the same thing? Along the lines of 'newt see salamander" Punished for sins or karmic response both result in the same outcome just using different words to get there.

Show ALL Forums