Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: OUTLOOK EXPRESS PROBLEMS, WHAT CAN I DO ?
 nurbydriver
Msg: 4 (view)

OUTLOOK EXPRESS PROBLEMS, WHAT CAN I DO ?
Posted: 2/11/2010 10:46:58 AM
Or you can do what I do, use as few MS programs as possible (actually, I don't use any because I use Linux) but you may look in to using Mozilla Thunderbird, an open source, free email client. I've used it for close to a decade now and wouldn't use anything else.

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/
 nurbydriver
Msg: 7 (view)

unemployment revisions?
Posted: 2/7/2010 12:52:28 PM
We all blinked furiously when we read the government’s claim that the number of unemployed rose in January by 20,000 but the unemployment rate fell from 10% to 9.7%. Somebody has obviously been cooking the numbers in a most ingenious manner. On Meet the press, Alan Greenspan explains the absurdity thus:

MR. GREGORY: Dr. Greenspan, one more question about jobs. So you think that unemployment rate goes up again before it comes down?

MR. GREENSPAN: I’m not sure. One of the reasons is the official data on unemployment is a sample and it fluctuates, and–as we observed in, in the January report. If you literally took it seriously as to the exact numbers, there were 784,000 job increase in January. Now, that didn’t happen. And so that what we can expect is a backing and filling. I think we’re going to stay at approximately the 9 to 10 percent level here for a goodly part of the rest of this year with the sole exception of that period when they start to hire a very large number of census workers. Remember, this is the decennial census.

MR. GREGORY: Right.

MR. GREENSPAN: And that’s going to have some positive effect. But it’s very difficult to make the case that unemployment is coming down anytime soon.
 nurbydriver
Msg: 746 (view)

Why do so many people seem to hate cops?
Posted: 2/7/2010 12:23:19 PM
Elite tribalism? LOL good lord, do you really want to hang your hat on that one? That has to be one of the stupidest bs hippie tree hugger catch phrases I've ever heard.

I feel a camaraderie with the people I work with, male and female, that's the type of thing that happens to people who are committed to each other and face often dangerous situations together. I care deeply about the people I work with now and the ones I have worked with in the past.

That you would disparage such a thing shows me you have never felt it, and I feel sorry for you that you haven't.

I don't want any award for doing what I do or have done, but I do think you should be grateful that there are people out there who are willing to do such a job. I have posted to this thread to defend a profession I am proud of and the people I have served with, especially the ones who have given their lives in service to their community and it's citizens.

But keep hating cops, they'll keep responding when you dial 911 even if you do.
 nurbydriver
Msg: 29 (view)

How Do You Respond to Police - Legally?
Posted: 2/7/2010 9:29:30 AM

The reasonable man test is just this; would a reasonable man. given the same set of circumstances come to the same conclusion as you and would he reasonably take the same actions. If yes, you are good to go.

And who deems YOU or anyone else "reasonable" at any given moment? You (or the hypothetical cop in this instance) is hyped up, something doesn't "feel" right, he "feels" something is amiss, John Q. Public is "acting" suspicious (in said cops mind), so he can deem his own self "reasonable" when I might find John Q. Public's actions completely within normal means. Hence: it's up to the cop ~ no governing body.

:rooleyes: Jesus, you really do have to lead some people by the hand in this world.

Number one, in law enforcement it always has, and is, referred to as 'probable cause'- Did you have probable cause to take the actions you did, please don't tell me what terminology is used in the profession I've been in for 20 years, thanks so much!

The reasonable man test is not contingent on anyone's state of mind at the time, it's measured in court, looking at the totality of the circumstances and judging if a reasonable man would come to the same conclusion and react in a similar fashion.

And who said anyone was hyped up? I don't get hyped up for much, certainly not on a traffic or pedestrian stop. I approach, say hello, even introduce myself and ask a couple questions, then go from there based on their responses. I use the words please and thank you, no one is hyped up.

If something does happen then in my report I articulate that I saw this, he said that, was acting in a certain way or had certain physical clues (sweating, agitation or other objective symptoms) and based on my observations, training and experience I came to conclusion X and therefore did action Y. Whatever that might be.

You people watch way too much CSI and Law and Order LOL.
 nurbydriver
Msg: 743 (view)

Posted: 2/6/2010 7:47:20 PM
Pretty obvious neither of you have the first clue about what the job is like.

And I agree, if a good cop cover for the bad, he is just as bad, and I want him out of the profession too.

Go drive through places like Highland Park in Los Angeles, my old beat are afor a while, and then tell me you think the North Hollywood shootout was 'once in a million' event.

Ever hear of the FBI Miami shootout, the Norco incident- that's just two off the top of my head.

But that's ok guys, it's like me trying to tell a pilot how to fly a plane, never done it, so anything I say about piloting is bound to be wrong.

But I'm not stupid enough to try to tell a pilot what his job is like, you two, not so much.
 nurbydriver
Msg: 26 (view)

Posted: 2/6/2010 5:58:59 PM
Okay, first, let's get the terminology right, it's probable cause.

Which segues right in to the reasonable man test, which is something I have used throughout my involvement in law enforcement.

The reasonable man test is just this; would a reasonable man. given the same set of circumstances come to the same conclusion as you and would he reasonably take the same actions. If yes, you are good to go.

Not, what do you know, now, not what did they find out later. What did your training and experience tell you with only what you knew at that moment. Stick to that and you will never go wrong.

Some cops, I admit, seem to take it a little personal, like "I am going to get this guy, I know he's dirty, but can't prove it" type of thing. So they make something up or something trivial, what we used to call hummers, because you look at the report and you go "hmmm, what the hell was he thinking?" And invariably it gets thrown out of court and the officer loses some credibility with that judge, happens often enough, you will never win a case in front of that judge no matter how good your evidence.

You usually find that with rookies and guys in their first few years, we call it the John Wayne syndrome. When I was an FTO I used to tell my rookies "Look, it's not up to you to clean up the world, you're probably right, this guy is dirty as hell, but if you don't have enough to get him, let him walk and avoid the hassle, if he's a criminal, he'll get got, if not by us, by some other cop down the line, and got so bad he will be righteously put away for a long time"

We used to have a mirror at one division I worked leading from the locker room to the briefing room, so we could check our gig lines and uniform, above it was a sign that read "This ain't the movies, and you ain't John Wayne"

Was great for keeping your head on straight just to read that each shift.
 nurbydriver
Msg: 740 (view)

Posted: 2/6/2010 10:49:57 AM
As if those NYPD and FDNY personnel had no idea how very serious that was even if they didn't think the buildings would actually fall. And I will bet if they had known that not one would have hesitated even so. That is a completely ignorant thing to say.

No one expected armed guys with full auto rifles and kevlar from head to foot to come out of a bank in North Hollywood either, and even with several officers and civilians down from the first minutes, not one, NOT ONE, retreated.

Two of them were friends of mine who I had worked with before leaving the department, luckily they were not hit.

Yeah, they were real concerned about their own safety.

40k a year and some insurance, yeah, that's why we do it.
 nurbydriver
Msg: 738 (view)

Posted: 2/6/2010 9:04:50 AM

Dennyden,yes they did run into those buildings...they are no longer with us...that kind of respect is awarded posthumously....do we award medals to soldiers before the act of heroism ever takes place ?

For some officers, especially my former brothers and sisters in LA, just showing up for work each day should be considered an act of heroism.

Do you think we signed up considering that someday the entire city would blowup in to a week of vicious riots? Me either, but I went to work that day and stayed, and so did my then wife. We didn't see each other again for 8 days (we had been married for 96 hours before getting called back, all leaves canceled)

There is no excuse for a corrupt cop, none. But I will ask you consider what it feels like to work a 3 year old on the trunk of a car who was shot up with the rest of her family because they got lost in the wrong neighborhood driving home from a family dinner. Name another profession beside firefighters who see such things as a matter of course in their jobs.

And then consider how you would feel when you know there is almost nothing that can be done to get justice for this innocent child, dead because her father got lost and some roving band of gang bangers decided to shoot them up for being in their 'hood (A place I will remind you that not one of the drug dealing **stards own a brick in)

Handle that as part of a normal work week, and then listen to someone like delta tell you that simply based on the color of your skin and the uniform you wear, you are an evil, corrupt SOB.

I have never met a cop who did it for the money, you are never going to get rich being a cop. Is there any amount of money that would compel you to risk your life for people you don't know? You only get that from a sense of duty and commitment that someone has to be there to do the hard, ugly things sometimes. It doesn't make some of those things any easier to deal with.
 nurbydriver
Msg: 3 (view)

Posted: 2/5/2010 1:01:26 PM
If you are absolutely not breaking any law then yes, unless you are being detained or arrested, you have every right to walk away. If the officer is getting badge heavy for no reason, contact the IA division of the department the officer works for, if you get no satisfaction there, go to the city manager or the city attorney.

If there is legitimate probable cause to make a traffic stop, then, technically you are being detained. Getting a traffic ticket is technically being arrested, you are simply released on your written promise to appear in court.

Now if during that good PC stop, if an officer sees something in the car and he is standing someplace he has a legal right to be, i.e. standing next to the car he looks in a passenger side floorboard ans sees a baggie of cocaine or a firearm, then he has the right for his safety to remove you from the car in the case of the weapon and conduct a search of both the car and you, or to remove you and search the car for more fruits of the crime pursuant to a lawful arrest for possession of a controlled substance or any other illegal contraband.

But be aware that certain laws and policies can vary state to state and department to department.

I would find out if there had been a crime in the area and your brother matched the description of either a suspect or a suspect vehicle. But I will say after they determined it was not who they were looking for, they could have simply explained that X happened nearby and the person who did it was described as XYZ and we stopped you because you matched that description or your vehicle did, and sorry for the inconvenience and drive safe.
 nurbydriver
Msg: 736 (view)

Posted: 2/5/2010 12:18:08 PM
Delta, what do you do all day? Follow cops around using a scanner? LOL

I am amazed at how often you seem to be johnny on the spot right when some police abuse is taking place, even down to knowing the actual body weight of the suspect, quite impressive I must say.

And a 20 year detective trashing his own department to an unknown applicant, admitting to all manner of crimes by members of his department, wow, again very impressive. Just fascinating how everything you see, do and hear, even from cops, props up your narrative.

You should play the lottery.

Sorry delta, I don't suffer fools gladly, especially on this subject, and frankly, you definitely qualify as a deluxe model .
 nurbydriver
Msg: 734 (view)

Posted: 2/5/2010 11:10:26 AM

what about that wife killer cop, drew peterson ? it took to darn long for them to take this Monster to jail, it was so obvious that he had killed wife #2 and # 3 (young wifey). then he had the nerves to start a dating club and move a dumb, knuckleheaded woman into his house that he knew when she was a child. of course, if he would have been any other OLd joe his butt would have been under the jail. how many more Drew peterson's are out there?

What about that wife and BABY killer fertilizer salesman Scott Peterson? Took a long time to arrest him too.

Which makes about as much sense as what you just spewed forth.

Delta, seriously, isn't there a thread someplace about the 9-11 conspiracy, or global warming you should be in? Maybe one on the New Black Panthers website would be good for you. Because you are completely out of your depth here, and I might add, still have refused to answer even one question I have directly posed to you. And it's obvious there is a reason for that.

I'm done addressing your ill informed moronic drivel.
 nurbydriver
Msg: 725 (view)

Posted: 2/4/2010 9:32:58 PM

There is no popular belief that Caucasians are largely racist. Not in the U.S., anyway. I don't agree with affirmative action or hate crimes,

And I would put forward that the fact that those two things still exist would indicate exactly the opposite. And until the black community stands up and roundly denounces people like Al Sharpton as not speaking for the black community in America that belief will remain.

Until very recently I had never heard of a Black person being charged with a hate crime, although I could point to numerous crimes that had the victim been black instead of white that had there not been such charges, Jesse, Al or both would have been on the next plane.

But we are getting off topic here.
 nurbydriver
Msg: 722 (view)

Posted: 2/4/2010 8:43:13 PM

You know, I actually tried to respond to some of your earlier posts in another thread regarding the whole "Liberals are an innate evil" thing, but you never followed-up. We agree on some points. Are you a selective reader, or can you just not bear to drop the persecution complex? You, too, are one of the many people pining over perceived racial issues that don't exist..

I simply stated a fact in my personal experience. I've never, ever seen a liberal talk about any abuses at the hands of any other type of cop except a white male. And I simply wonder aloud why that is, it's as if all other police officers of minority race simply never do anything untoward. I can assure you I have seen policies bent by officers of every ethnic make up.

It's not that liberals are 'evil' necessarily, it's just that they know so much that isn't so.

Small D, Jack Kennedy democrats, I have no problem with, but the progressives that have taken over that party I have a huge problem with.
 nurbydriver
Msg: 720 (view)

Posted: 2/4/2010 7:54:11 PM

a good friend who works as a taxi cab driver told me that he has never been stopped/harassed by a police. i told this guy that he was in a fanstasy because i have heard of cops harassing these foreign (nigerian/indian) taxi drivers all the time. in fact, a year ago , a cop who was the spokesperson got in trouble for taking "money" for not writing tickets when he stopped people for speeding . also, a ethopian taxi driver had the good sense to record this same scandalous cop who had threaten him and spit on his taxi.

So your good friend tells you he has never had a bad experience with the police and you call him a liar because his personal experiences don't jibe with your preconceived narrative? You actually told him he must be delusional because you HEARD about cops harassing foreign cabbies??? So regardless of what he tells you is his own personal experience is i.e.- never been treated badly by a police officer, that can't possibly be because it contradicts your personal narrative that ALL cops are bad? Is that it?

I notice two things with you delta, you have never answered even one question I have posed to you and you come up with some pretty outlandish stories yet never provide any proof or documentation with a link to even one news story about such terrible misconduct. And don't start now with some generic story, back up your specific claims or don't make them.

I am quite certain the media would be all over such things, especially in Dallas.

In short delta, your agenda is obvious and you fail...............miserably. You simply have a narrative and them make up stories out of whole cloth. If the truth does not fit your narrative, it's a fantasy to you.

I wish you luck in your academic endeavors. I think you will need it.
 nurbydriver
Msg: 717 (view)

Posted: 2/4/2010 5:30:31 PM
Yes, delta, thank you, I think your agenda is quite clear now.

And that Black CPD sergeant, he backed a white sergeant against Prof. Gates, what do you think of him?

Uncle Tom? Not down for the struggle? Pushin' the plow for the white man? Certainly a black man could not come to this conclusion of his own first hand experience at the scene am I right?

She had no other choice but to say that every member of a particular profession was a bad person huh? Really? Not one other, perhaps semi intelligent thing she could say huh?

So a police officer pulls her over, apparently gives her a warning and tells her to have a nice day, and the above is the result? Amazing how that call came in today, while you are actively engaged in this discussion, just in time to prop up your agenda and prejudice. Funny how that happens isn't it???

Do you think maybe the officer was waiting to get info back from dispatch after calling in her plate prior to initiating a traffic stop so he would not walk up to an unknown person blind? Maybe? Perhaps was waiting for a better, safer place for both of them to stop so as to be out of the flow of traffic and not impede motorists on their way to or from work? Following a vehicle a mile down the road constitutes harassment and stalking now does it?

Pro tip delta: If you are actively looking to be offended, you will surely find something to be offended over. Kinda like that Dallas city councilman who got offended over the scientific terminology "Black Hole'. And then went on to state that "devils food cake" is black while angel food cake is white LOL. You don't live in his district do you delta? Certainly would explain your attitude and how he ever got elected to public office. He's obviously not a big fan of the Discovery channel.

http://cityhallblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/07/dallas-county-meeting-turns-ra.html
 nurbydriver
Msg: 714 (view)

Posted: 2/4/2010 4:54:38 PM
Delta let me ask you something:

There was a black Cambridge PD sergeant at the famous 'incident' involving Sgt. Crowley of CPD and Prof. Gates of Harvard. The black sergeant came out and said in no uncertain terms that he backs Sgt. Crowely's actions 100%.

What do you think of this black sergeant??
 nurbydriver
Msg: 712 (view)

Posted: 2/4/2010 4:45:26 PM
Delta, seriously, at this point you are just making stuff up.

Do you think there are any dirty black cops or are all the bad ones white?
 nurbydriver
Msg: 702 (view)

Posted: 2/4/2010 11:43:33 AM
I am going to admit I have not read 58 pages of posts, so I may have missed something- But my first reaction to it was "Why not just say what you really want to and post 'Why do people hate WHITE cops'? " Because that's really all you ever hear.

And I am curious as to when the entirety of the ranks of American Law Enforcement became peopled by white males exclusively. Because that means that many of my good friends and former partners have either A) Been fired or B) Died.

I have worked with officers, and became good friends with many, from every ethnic derivation you might name, and some you might not, Black, Asian, Hispanic, Samoan (this is the guy you want backing you up, trust me) Native American, Polynesian even one Eskimo (which actually falls under Native American too). All good, solid, excellent cops everyone, and not all male either.

So it gets very, very tiresome to hear, everyplace you turn in this PC society ( and usually coming from those who would otherwise tell you how narrow minded and bigoted you are being judging everyone from a particular group on the actions of a few) That all- White cops- are redneck, racist, uneducated, murdering scumbags-- and here's proof.

I have never, ever seen a white, liberal post to a discussion forum on the subject any thing disparaging about any other type of cop but white Anglo-Saxon males. Apparently they either don't realize there are cops of every background, or as I suspect, simply use it as another way to show everyone how much more enlightened and sophisticated they think they are. So really it's just another way for them to say f@ck whitey with another wrapper.

But I dare you to live with the types memories I, and most cops, have. The neglected and abused children clinging to you begging you to take them with you on a domestic violence call. The infant dead in moms arms after a traffic accident, and she refusing to let go for the coroner, because she didn't use a baby seat and was holding them when it happened and crushed the baby against the dash. How about the mom who was hearing voices and those voices told her to decapitate her 6 month old and put the head in a frying pan, while the body was tossed aside and laying on the counter (try walking in to that scene and tell me how you feel).

How about having to walk around with a flashlight and identify and cover the body parts of a guy who got drunk and decided to lay down on the railroad tracks, 75 yards from the house with his family inside, then deal with the reaction of the kids as the body is lifted by the coroner and they realize who it is. How about the 12 year old boy being made to watch his father rape, then strangle his mom, made by his 'father' to sit and watch. The 8 year old found chained to a post in a basement, as far as we could find, he had been there since he was around 4 or 5. Ever watched a 6 month old being autopsied for chain of evidence? Once is more than enough.

Yeah, why don't some of you try writing those frakin reports and taking those pictures sometime! Add in to just one report like that 2-3 traffic accidents and a foot pursuit of a armed robbery suspect and other units screaming for help, all in one 10-12 hour shift.

Now when I pull you over just to let you know your brake light is out, yeah go ahead, say "F@ck you officer" and cop an attitude.

I'm going to give you a few bullet points and then let you continue with your racism.

Almost all agencies now require a minimum 2 year college degree. I've know guys with Masters and even PhD's who still worked the streets.

Cops make on average 40,000 a year- and for that pittance risk their lives for people they have usually never met.

Cops deal with the people you don't want to, that's why you call them.

Cops are not all white, it seems some of you believe they are, or at least only the white ones ever do anything wrong, which says more about you than anything else.

When the Prop 8 stuff was happening in California, they said, let's show them a "Day with out gays", I say just try to imagine a "Day without the police". It would only take one.

We now return you to your white cop bashing, already in progress..........
 nurbydriver
Msg: 58 (view)

Health Care Cost Increases
Posted: 2/2/2010 1:54:07 PM
And I will go on criticizing Socialism, and opposing Socialism because it is bad for Britain—and Britain and Socialism are not the same thing. (...) It’s the Labour (liberal) Government that have brought us record peace-time taxation. They’ve got the usual Socialist disease—they’ve run out of other people’s money.”

- Margaret Thatcher
 nurbydriver
Msg: 56 (view)

Health Care Cost Increases
Posted: 2/2/2010 11:53:28 AM
Kinda makes you say....Hmmmmmmmm

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=2510700
 nurbydriver
Msg: 6 (view)

What is the uproar with Manning and Obama?
Posted: 1/28/2010 4:41:19 PM
Don't be so smug! I get the CFL down here :P

And enjoy it much more than the NFL. I just wish you had more teams.
 nurbydriver
Msg: 70 (view)

Jesus Rifles in use in Iraq and Afghanistan...
Posted: 1/22/2010 1:08:15 PM
"Its not intolerant to expect the secular enterprise of occupation and war to be carried out secularly. This is not a religous war, and as pointed out we are in fact not a "Christian" country.

Long live our Constitutional Republic, may it survive all attemtpts at compromise by theocratic impositionists."

Yeah, not religious for any except the ones who yell "Allah Akbar" as they explode/attack. Or attack fellow soldiers on base.

If I get shot by an AK-47 with "Alalh Akbar" painted on the stock, to whom do I lodge my complaint?

Liberal naivete never ceases to amaze me.

BTW- since war is 'secular', do you believe we should immediately discharge all military chaplains of all faiths??
 nurbydriver

Thinking of switching to Mac But is it worth it ??
Posted: 1/11/2010 8:18:07 PM
There's always Linux, unless you need certain programs that only run on Windows or Mac. I use Linux for everything except gaming and those very rare occasions I need to use Photoshop for something I can't achieve using GIMP or Inkscape-- and that's getting very rare now too.
 nurbydriver
Msg: 8 (view)

ATI's new 5870
Posted: 11/19/2009 7:47:51 PM
Ok, is there any game, even Crysis, that really use all of that beast?

And with something that powerful, does there even exist a MoBO/CPU/RAM combination that would not actually prove a bottle neck?

Does seem like juuusstttt a bit of over kill, but certainly seems upgrade proof, until about 2018 I suspect.
 nurbydriver

Black screen with cursor on boot...need TECH help..
Posted: 11/12/2009 10:24:40 AM
Could be bad RAM, or a bad GFX card too. Do you get sequence of beeps on boot up?
 nurbydriver
Msg: 2 (view)

AM3/AM2+ Platforms To Support AMD's Upcoming 6-Core CPU's
Posted: 11/2/2009 11:32:34 AM
Problem is, unless the app/game you are running is programmed to take advantage of more than one core, then the other 5 sit idle- so what is the advantage of having 6 cores @2.0Ghz when you can only use one?

Unless they have done like I hear the i7 has and have a way to draw cycles from the unused cores when using a non-hyperthreaded game or app.

I do think it's a good thing that they will be backwards compatible but so few apps or games even take advantage of dual and quad core now, what's the point?
 nurbydriver
Msg: 21 (view)

Microsoft's Internet Explorer 8 Goes Gold
Posted: 10/28/2009 12:34:15 PM
IE could go platinum and I still wouldn't use it.

I have it for testing websites I build only, and I shouldn't have to even do that if they would adhere to the W3C standards like everyone else.

So many people are not going to switch to IE8 because they don't know how/don't care/still use IE6, whatever that as a web designer it makes no difference that IE passes Acid2 now- I will still have to use the hacks and work arounds for a long time to come.
 nurbydriver

Upgrade Win 7 RC to RTM?
Posted: 10/23/2009 3:58:11 PM
not sure but this looks like it should:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/07/23/how-to-select-any-edition-or-version-sku-of-windows-7-to-install-from-single-edition-dvd-disc-media-or-iso/
 nurbydriver
Msg: 5 (view)

Upgrade Win 7 RC to RTM?
Posted: 10/23/2009 1:29:36 PM
64 bit Win 7 Ultimate
 nurbydriver

Upgrade Win 7 RC to RTM?
Posted: 10/23/2009 11:39:21 AM
Right, but I will need to DL some files to upgrade it to the RTM Final edition, which I don't know if that then allows me to do or what. I am certain the files are not already on the laptop.
 nurbydriver

Upgrade Win 7 RC to RTM?
Posted: 10/23/2009 11:28:18 AM
It's Win 7 Ultimate.

Problem is I have emailed him a couple times and still no answer, it appears a legit key, I am just not sure how to use it to do an upgrade or activation, I've never done that to any OS without a disk. And I have no idea if there is anyplace to DL Win 7 Ultimate or not. At least I am unable to find one.

If anyone knows please enlighten me- I'm not trying to pirate anything just upgrade from a legit purchase.
 nurbydriver
Msg: 1 (view)

Upgrade Win 7 RC to RTM?
Posted: 10/23/2009 10:49:16 AM
Maybe someone here knows the answer,

I bought a laptop off of Craigslist from a guy here in a town a couple weeks ago that had build 7100 on it. The guy works for a local ISP and told me that their company had bought a activation key for Win 7 for all the network guys to upgrade once it was released. He sent me the key in an email, and it looks like legit key but I have no idea how I can use it to upgrade the laptop, any ideas?

I’m not looking to do anything illegal but according to him it is a legitimately bought Win 7 key, he just didn’t need to use it for the laptop because he had bought a Mac- which is why he was selling the laptop in the first place.

I have emailed the guy I bought it from but he's very hard to get a response from, if he even knows what to do.
 nurbydriver

bells and whistles
Posted: 10/22/2009 8:21:15 AM
interfacelift.com

inkscape.org

sumopaint.com

gimp.org

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/upgrade.html

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/
 nurbydriver
Msg: 9 (view)

AMD's Socket 939 form factor still alive?
Posted: 10/21/2009 10:34:40 AM
Anything that is really going to make any difference in performance is costing as much as I could do a MoBo/CPU/RAM upgrade for and get newer, faster equipment. For ~200.00 USD I could do a motherboard level upgrade with a AM2/3+ Socket that would still leave me room to upgrade again in the future.

I just wish I had pulled the trigger on a 4800+ I saw on the egg a good while back for about 40.00. Would have been quite an improvement from my current 3200+
 nurbydriver

AMD's Socket 939 form factor still alive?
Posted: 10/20/2009 6:48:29 PM
What I need is a new 939 CPU, but they are impossible to find.
 nurbydriver

Microsoft working on 128-bit version of Windows 8
Posted: 10/10/2009 8:56:03 AM
But think of trying to run 32 bit, 64 bit AND 128 bit apps all on one platform. I think this whole thing is bunk IMO. Why are they going to be developing for hardware that does not even exist? Hell, 64 bit is still not fully implemented yet.

Think Linux, Feel Better!
 nurbydriver

Microsoft: Google Chrome Frame makes IE less secure
Posted: 9/26/2009 11:05:19 AM
"Thoughts, comments?"

Use Linux.

Firefox, Opera, Flock, Chrome= W3C compliant

IE=NOT

As web developer that's a big deal to me. I have to create separate files and incorporate work arounds just to get IE to render sites I design correctly, because MS just refuses to go along with the program everyone else is using, that's reason enough to despise them.
 nurbydriver

free music web sites?
Posted: 9/20/2009 9:13:37 AM
Not a download site but you might look at Pandora- You can design your own channels and it tries to learn and play only the music you like by how you rate songs it brings up. I listen to it at work all the time.

www.pandora.com
 nurbydriver

Linux on IBM PC's?
Posted: 9/20/2009 8:12:17 AM
I installed PCLOS on an older IBM thinkpad for a guy a few months ago and everything, including wireless worked fine. Just had to configure the wireless in PCC, that's it.
 nurbydriver

Linux on IBM PC's?
Posted: 9/19/2009 9:05:24 PM
I was thinking the same thing when I read it, makes no sense. I have installed Linux on 100+ machines of differing types and sure there have been some niggles here and there but never one that would just outright refuse to install. My first Linux box was a old, old, old K6-2 400Mhz machine running Ubuntu 6.xx or something, I ran that right through until the 8.x series at which time I built a new gamer and turned the retiring gamer in to my new Linux box. If nothing else you should be able to run from a Live CD. My distro of choice at the moment is PC Linux OS.

Three I would recommend are:

Crunch Bang! Linux

AntiX

Arch Linux (this one will definitely help you learn Linux)

I am actually looking to buy a laptop now that I will turn in to a triple boot machine with Win XP, Linux (not sure what distro yet) and OpenSolaris. That way I have one of each type of environment- Windows, Linus and Unix.

Find a desktop that is a few years old someone is selling on craigslist or something and get a good supply of CD-RW as you will probably start wanting to try several different distros.

Welcome to the dark side, you'll be glad you came, trust me. :)
 nurbydriver
Msg: 5 (view)

Time keeps messing up
Posted: 8/21/2009 7:59:56 PM
CMOS battery 99% of the time.
 nurbydriver

Ubuntu Linux.....Easy -or- Difficult ?
Posted: 7/15/2009 1:54:01 PM
I used Ubuntu for several years but I got tired of the Dist-upgrades always breaking X or something, switched to PC Linux OS about 2 years ago and haven't looked back.

Ubuntu is not bad, and has a millionaire backer but I have been more than pleased with PCLOS.
 nurbydriver

Vista & MSO 2003
Posted: 6/22/2009 11:18:17 AM
Personally, I don't understand why anyone would pay for an MS office suite when there is OpenOffice. I have used it for years on Linux and Windows, never had an issue. Just save in .doc format if someone will be using MSO to open your document. Also available for Mac.

http://www.openoffice.org/
 nurbydriver
Msg: 27 (view)

Strong and Logical Argument FOR The existence of Divine Beings
Posted: 6/18/2009 3:23:43 PM

Getting a little off topic here...but I have to ask...are you confident in your knowledge of the natural world to make the statement that "something was placed there" before there was...well..there?
Because I'm not.
And I doubt that too many physicists would study matter and energy are either....

W/O a detailed understanding of how and energy work in every possible situation (which is almost impossible) there is,IMHO, no way that anybody can "tell" exactly how the universe was created.
Personally, I'd go for the Big Bang over seven days...or a turtle's back....or whatever theological description is presented.

Back to the subject at hand: Still awaiting strong and logical arguments.

I am confident enough to say that at some point there was nothing, a void, and now there is something here- the question is how did nothing become something? Even energy is something. Everything had to start someplace.

The only other possibility is that the universe has *just always been here* and I don't see how anyone could say that yet dismiss God's existence.

If you cannot go back to the absolute beginning, then every thing we think we know is nothing but theory and conjecture.

I think we all look at the vastness of the universe and wonder "where could all this have come from?" even the very space in which the galaxies and stars travel, how did it get here? Did space itself just always exist or was it too created?

Questions I doubt we will ever know the answers to with any certainty.
 nurbydriver
Msg: 21 (view)

Posted: 6/18/2009 1:54:44 PM
I have to go back to my initial premise; There had to be a time when there was *nothing* and then in the next instant, there was *something*, (whatever that something was) prove to me how that something was placed there where there was nothing before.
 nurbydriver
Msg: 57 (view)

Lets Talk Politics - Do you believe in the Death Penality?
Posted: 6/18/2009 9:24:54 AM
I believe in the Death Penalty. I also say give them a limited number of appeals.

You want to make the death penalty a deterrent? Televise one ....and require every inmate in every state and federal prison to watch it. Right now it's an abstract to them, make it real and it will be a deterrent.

I am quite certain that public beheadings, stoning and hangings in Muslim countries- as horrific as they are- DO serve as a deterrent for good or ill.

I'm not saying I have any respect for their laws or the way "justice" is meaded out in those countries, just that witnessing something like that is almost certain to have a deterrent effect.
 nurbydriver

Posted: 6/18/2009 9:04:37 AM
This is somewhat similar to the above post.

To me, you have to go back to when NOTHING existed and tell me where *something* came from. Even if you claim two little molecules struck each other causing the Big Bang, where, exactly, did those molecules come from?

Every evolutionary theory (and I want to emphasize *theory*) starts with an ocean full of organic material, what they don't, nor try, to explain is where that organic material came from.

So, go back to when there was nothing, void, and tell me where something, anything, came from, and we will have a starting point. To me if you can't do that, every other theory that dismisses a divine being falls apart.

It had to come from someplace, it didn't just always exist, because if it did, that sounds much like a God to me.
 NurbyDriver
Msg: 12 (view)

Sound Driver problem
Posted: 6/14/2009 12:35:04 PM
If none of that works try the generic AC'97 sound drivers. Most built in sound is AC'97.

Personally I've always preferred a separate sound card, at least on the gamer, all my linux machines I just use the onboard sound.
 NurbyDriver

UNIX/Linux Utilities / Apps
Posted: 6/12/2009 5:30:11 PM
PC Linux OS

Inkscape

The GIMP

Xara Xtreme

Bluefish

Screem

Kompozer

Amarok

Fire Fox (Chrome if they ever release it for Linux)

Compz Fusion

Kopete
 NurbyDriver
Msg: 297 (view)

Right wing radio host gets waterboarded for 7 seconds. Admits it is torture
Posted: 6/9/2009 12:27:02 PM
You might want to re read that, apparently you have no clue as to what I am saying.

Do you really think how I described above was how those interrogations went? Really? Just, "get in here and lay down on this board Hajji, NOW!"

LOL, is that what you think happened to each and every detainee???

Show ALL Forums