Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: taking more reponsibility is it easier to blame government/councils/business etc rather then ourselves?
 valpo26
Msg: 3 (view)

taking more reponsibility is it easier to blame government/councils/business etc rather then ourselves?
Posted: 11/17/2009 12:43:38 AM
The reason that "the Authorities" are taking responsibility is that left to the free market, money becomes the only reason to do something.
Most legislation is introduced after there have been incidents of irresponsibility. It's always the actions of a few idiots that spoil it for the rest of us.
 valpo26
Msg: 31 (view)

How long should we view a profile & what three things do you look for in a person and their profile?
Posted: 11/6/2009 2:08:43 AM
I will click on a profile for several reasons.
Nice photo
Interesting headline and / or Intro
They show as having viewed me.

I stop reading as soon as I realise they are not the one for me.
normally when I see txt spk, or words and phrases such as Vegetarian, Ambitious
RnB,
 valpo26
Msg: 184 (view)

join the army and go to Afghanistan
Posted: 11/5/2009 12:39:07 AM
Been there, Done that.
I wouldn't try to deter someone based on the fact that they might have to do their job for real. My two tours were actually the best part of my short (4.5 years) in the army, and that is the point of the training.

I would point out that the 'New labour' government appears to be trying to destroy the armed forces stealthily by budget cuts and over-stretch, that 'the military covenant' (soldiers do their job, in return government looks after them and their families) has been replaced by reliance on Charities such as 'Help for Heroes', Save our Soldiers, British Legion etc. (great work on their part, but it shouldn't have to be provided by charity)
 valpo26
Msg: 9 (view)

Beauty and the inflitrated gene pool.
Posted: 11/3/2009 7:16:22 AM
Facial symmetry?
I thought it was down to how close to the average people were. I remember hearing about an experiment (sorry, can't remember details) where a computer merged /morphed / combined photos so that the end product was an amalgam of all the input pictures, and then the subjects of the study were asked to rate the attractiveness. The average one generally got better ratings than the individual.

Anyway, it's all cultural. Some places believe Small feet are beautiful, leading to Foot binding, others that a long neck was hot, leading to neck rings.
 valpo26
Msg: 5 (view)

Should drunks be publicly flogged for being caught in a state of drunkeness?
Posted: 2/20/2009 6:13:37 AM
The LOVE of money is traditionally the root of all evil.

Hmm. Seeing as Christians have to drink wine as part of their religion (taking communion), could calling for the outlawing of alcohol be regarded as a religous hate crime?

Can you imagine a similar debate if a rabbi said that due to the increasing obesity in society causing health problems, Everyone should obey rabbinical law and put down the bacon sandwiches.

The trouble with sharia law is that it weakens faith in god. people in countries using the system are not giving up alcohol because it is forbidden by Allah, but because there are thugs with big sticks making them do so.

If people truely believe that their imaginary friend won't let them come and play in his garden after they die, unless they follow the rules laid down in the book, they would do all sorts of crazy things (such as not eating meat on fridays, but fine any other day) to be judged worthy of Heaven.
 valpo26
Msg: 15 (view)

Ever heard of lock bumping?
Posted: 2/19/2009 1:07:16 AM
If I was going to be burgled, I'd rather they used this, then smashing a window.
 valpo26
Msg: 78 (view)

All the Women with degrees etc...........
Posted: 2/12/2009 12:39:32 AM
Perhaps you are mixing up Cause & effect.

You say you have noticed that many Single women tend to have degrees.
Perhaps it is the other way round? Women with degrees tend to be single?

I prefer people who have left home and either travelled or at least gone away to college or University. They tend to be more open to new ideas, aware of the world & it's wonders, and just more interesting to talk to, as they have more things to talk about.
 valpo26
Msg: 236 (view)

Phrases that put you off someone's profile
Posted: 2/10/2009 1:12:27 AM
Msg 80 & 81
"Occasional smoker"
I last had a cigarette at Halloween, while drunk and talking to a cute girl, who offered me one, and I didn't want to say no to her.
I shared a cigar with a friend last Saturday.

So inhaling tobacco once every four months is probably closer to being occasional than smoking 1 or 2 every day.

But I do list myself as a non-smoker on my profile, so maybe most people downplay their habit.
 valpo26

Was Queens Guardsmen right to attack mickey taking student?
Posted: 1/23/2009 6:45:12 AM
Columbia is a bit near Brazil, maybe the soldier thought the student was a muslim terrorist, like Juan charles de menenzes (apologies for spelling).

The soldier's job is to guard the palace, not to stand there for the entertainment of tourists.

I think the student got off lightly.
 valpo26
Msg: 54 (view)

Large male appendages
Posted: 1/21/2009 1:18:26 AM
A woman once commented that I had a small organ.
I replied that I didn't normally perform recitals in a cathedral

for the record, I would say that the appendage was one of the few parts of me that was average.

But if you define your masculinity by this one measure, you are pretty sad. There is more to life, and lovemaking than simply full filling. Otherwise the bars would be empty and all the ladies would be hanging out at the greengrocers, eyeing up the cucumbers & marrows.
Size queens are just as bad as guys who judge solely on the size of a ladies chest.
 valpo26
Msg: 27 (view)

Some books should not be made into films!
Posted: 1/21/2009 1:04:29 AM
Re comic books to films.
they generally get dumbed down for the general public, which annoys the hardcore fans, but they are still perceived as 'geeky' and special interest.
IF the hero is well known and they don't have to explain their origins, it's not too bad e.g. Batman, superman, spiderman
But the more obscure are generally weighed down in exposition. Constantine, for example.
 valpo26
Msg: 26 (view)

Some books should not be made into films!
Posted: 1/21/2009 12:58:57 AM
Some films are different from the book that 'inspired' them, but still good in their own way.
HIgh Fidelity has already been mentioned.
The ultimate is "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy". A radio show , which became a series of books (5 in "an increasingly inaccurate trilogy"), which became a TV series, which became a film.

It's hard to translate the verbal into the visual.
 valpo26
Msg: 37 (view)

Female hypocrisy
Posted: 1/16/2009 2:19:34 AM
If it takes a one legged unemployed dwarf to make you happy, you should put that in your profile. But don't assume that the one legged dwarves will be wanting you.
If you set your filter too fine, you won't catch any fish.

What annoys me is when I actually do meet all the criteria, and still don't get a reply from a freindly email.
 valpo26
Msg: 10 (view)

Hang on, I recognise that person!
Posted: 1/7/2009 1:15:13 AM
Somebody I work with at weekends (who I would consider a mate) popped up on my matches. I added her as a favourite, she deleted me. I didn't see her in the real world for a few weeks, then I asked her why. She hadn't realised it was me.
Makes me worry about the picture, though loads of people who saw it elsewhere recognised me straight away. Maybe my profile doesn't match her image of me?
 valpo26
Msg: 12 (view)

The usual suspects (yes, the film !!)
Posted: 1/7/2009 1:08:52 AM
A good story will always beat a big budget.

Oceans 11 (either of them) is a self-indulgent film where a bunch of guys get to play really cool characters and rob someone. But the guy who is being robbed is nasty, so the criminals are the good guys.
Ocaens 12 is worse. Julie Roberts's character helps to do a scam by pretending to be ... Julia Roberts. WTF!

'The usual suspects' is full of tension and has a great twist.

'Fight Club' is also a great story with a twist.
 valpo26
Msg: 15 (view)

Atheist bus campaign
Posted: 1/7/2009 12:48:54 AM
Atheism is a religious position. Science doesn't enter into it.

an Atheist BELIEVES that there is no god.
an Agnostic does not have any faith at all.

Science is based on proof and knowledge, not faith.

Personally I think it's good that Atheists are trying to encourage people to sort out problems in this world, rather than let people suffer in order to earn a reward in heaven.
 valpo26
Msg: 8 (view)

added to favourites?
Posted: 12/31/2008 6:02:43 AM
If I look at a ladies profile and she is a favorite of several hundred other people, I tend not to even bother trying to send a witty email, as I feel I will be lost in the crowd. Makes you wonder why they then complain that they can't find a man. (not bitter about being read /deleted, oh no!)

On the other hand, several ladies have added me to their favorites list, but never made a move. Perhaps it's a shy way of indicating an interest. But I am not really up for playing games.
 valpo26
Msg: 17 (view)

New People Who Think You Are Hot!
Posted: 12/5/2008 6:36:43 AM
Just another thought (two in one afternoon!)
This feature along with others like "find similar users to..." does remind somewhat of bits of Amazon (and other websites) which make suggestions based on other customers actions. People who buy this, also tend to buy that, etc.
Nothing wrong with data mining, in general, but most people on dating sites are not going to say I am a banker who rides motorcycles, I find optimistic women who love dogs to be hot.
The whole concept seems to ignore "chemistry".

I'd like to know if I appear on anybody else's list of people who think they are hot, though. Just to see if it's right.
 valpo26

New People Who Think You Are Hot!
Posted: 12/5/2008 6:19:39 AM
"We auto detect your most alluring trait. Be that your profession, your outlook on life, your personality or the way you look or the fact you love dogs etc. Listed below are users who are REALLY REALLY into your most alluring trait or group of traits."

Apparently there is absolutely nothing alluring about me, as nobody thinks I am hot.

Perhaps I should change my profile to read "Dog loving handsome Millionaire, who loves life"
 valpo26
Msg: 23 (view)

Latin Terms Banned By Councils !!
Posted: 12/5/2008 6:07:59 AM
Is this too patronising? Why draw the line at latin phrases, why not make a rule that all council correspondance must not contain complicated vocabulary.

translation to council approved newspeak

R we acting like your dad? from now on, no letters from da council will 'ave big words in.

I seem to recall quite a few latin phrases in "the Simpsons", such as status quo & bona fide (hee-haw, he said bona) . I always knew that it was a high brow intellectual show.
 valpo26

Impress User with a Gift
Posted: 11/27/2008 1:31:59 AM
Perhaps if someone receives a virtual gift costing from £12 to £30, they will realise that the person sending it is either
a) serious about the recipient
or
b) a spammer with more money than sense.

given the number of complaints on forums and profiles about messages saying "hi, wanna chat" where no thought and little effort has gone into it, this does at least mean that people will have to put their money where their mouth is.

In my eyes, I'd rather put it towards a real world meeting.
But it is optional, not compulsory, so it's no skin off my nose.

(is that enough cliches, by the way?)
 valpo26

Titan has more oil than Earth.. how soon can we start exploring it?
Posted: 10/31/2008 5:38:48 AM
"Do you think the future energy supply lies within the Universe?"
Well, Yes, obviously, as everything lies within the universe.

Pedantry aside, Surely the cost both financial & in energy renders the oil located on titan uneconomical. If we have the resources to go to Titan, drill for oil & ship it back, why would we need oil?

Lets concentrate on clean energy. Solar cells work very well in space, and the enegry could be beamed down by microwave.
 valpo26

Music videos
Posted: 10/31/2008 2:42:28 AM
Scantily clad women in music videos?
How about 'Girls on film' by Duran Duran, back in the 80s. Had a major impact on me when I was a teenager. I think I mainly remember it because it was banned and hard to find (no youtube or internet back then).

Best Music video ever is probably "Take on me" by A-ha. An averagely good song, but an amazingly memorably video. No nudity at all, as I recall.

I think it was Oscar Wilde who said that "Dancing is a vertical expression of a horizontal intention"
 Valpo26
Msg: 38 (view)

Are people really just looking for 'the one' ?
Posted: 7/31/2008 9:59:54 AM
"It will take a very special woman to make me happy... or a whole bunch of average ones"
The Late great Bill Hicks,

The internet gives too much choice, so tiny things become reasons to break up as the next one might be perfect. If you were limited to only dating people from work or your home town, as my parent's generation were, you would probably work through any problems, rather than giving up and moving on.
 Valpo26
Msg: 14 (view)

Do guys view the Visuals & skim over the Verbal?
Posted: 7/31/2008 9:34:36 AM
Let's not be sexist.
I've had more women checking out my profile in the last week, with a reasonable photo up, then I did in almost a year of being on the site, with bad photos.
Though I think they have all read the profile, because the only two mails I received were
a) pointing out a school boy mistake in my 'first date' section (too, not to)
b) complimentary but too far away.

Photos are the bait. but I do read the profiles, and if I see that one of us is not likely to be compatible with the other, I wouldn't bother writing a mail to contact her.
 Valpo26
Msg: 206 (view)

how old is your pic?
Posted: 7/31/2008 9:22:19 AM
My main pic is less than two weeks old. However, it was taken by a professional photographer (for a local news story) and it is one of the few photos of myself which I like, so I may keep it forever.

All my others are less than a year old.
 Valpo26
Msg: 45 (view)

Proposal of Marriage!!
Posted: 7/24/2008 12:52:38 AM
About five years ago, when I was thirty-ish, I went to visit a girl who I went to School with (nursery to Sixth form) and consider to be my best friend.
We had a great weekend (platonic) and were walking along the beach, when she suggested going to the pub for lunch. At that moment, I said "Marry me?", not entirely seriously, but it was a heart-felt question.
She considered it for a moment then said if we were both single when she turned forty, I could be her back-up.

She got married a few years ago, to a great guy, who she met on-line. I still see them as often as I can.
She shocked a few of her friends at the wedding, joking about my 'proposal' and my lucky escape.

When I got back from the weekend, I told my female lodger about the back-up plan, and she said it was a cool idea, and suggested the same deal with her (if we are both single , when she turns 40, think about marriage).

Provisionally engaged twice in 48 hours.
 Valpo26
Msg: 8 (view)

browns problem familys
Posted: 7/15/2008 1:43:40 AM
Army discipline?
When I was in the Army about 15 years ago, we had a guy in my unit who had just got out of the glasshouse (Colchester, the army prison) after "sharing a sharp metal object with a friend".

Army discipline is self-discipline. If somebody refuses to soldier, there is not a lot you can do to them except shout at them. The hoodies know their rights and it's too late to change someone at 16.
The parent's need to raise their children to have respect and self-control.
Schools should be supported by the parents.
Rights should be balanced by responsibilities.
 Valpo26
Msg: 42 (view)

Being called Racist amongst other things
Posted: 7/15/2008 1:11:00 AM
"it is sad in a way as most of the females arnt attractd to 6ft dark haird men from redditch lol"

So it isn't just me! Sounds like we are an oppressed minority and therefore entitled to loads of compensation.
 Valpo26
Msg: 22 (view)

Boys who never grow up
Posted: 7/3/2008 6:04:33 AM
I am still fascinated by toy guns.

The sad thing is that I own a real shot-gun, and have an Assault rifle at work, and yet I still want to play with something that fires little sucker darts.
 Valpo26
Msg: 91 (view)

Animal rights group turns its fire on celebrity meat-eaters
Posted: 7/2/2008 10:13:40 AM
Good point but slightly the wrong way round.
Generally when Mink have been released from fur farms into the wild, they have destroyed the native eco-systems, and threatening endangered species like Otters.
 Valpo26
Msg: 43 (view)

Girls Sending First Contact Messages To The Guys ....
Posted: 7/1/2008 2:48:57 AM
As a Guy, I generally love receiving a message from a woman. Even if it just to say hi, and not leading to anything else.
There is the occasional message which appears to be from someone who has not bothered to read my profile, which can be annoying.

As for "unsolicited" surely by posting a profile you are asking for people to get in touch
 Valpo26
Msg: 27 (view)

£42 K To Drive A Truck !!!!!
Posted: 6/21/2008 2:39:05 AM
For all the posters comparing Fuel tanker drivers with squaddies,
Just think how much fun it is for an RLC private to drive a fuel tanker in a war zone. And he isn't earning anymore than other squaddies.
No wonder they tend to get the training and then sign off to work for companies like Shell.
 Valpo26

Tv 'Stars' earning more than £1,000,000....
Posted: 6/3/2008 4:42:07 AM
It would be nice if we could have a formula showing the presenter's wages compared to the amount of entertainment they provide
E.G. Joe presenter earns a million quid for 10 hours of TV, and gets ratings of 200,000
By my reckoning this would 'cost' the viewer 50p per hour.
I don't think any of the big earners would 'cost' much, as they get high ratings and are always on the screen.
 Valpo26
Msg: 17 (view)

Too much USA influence in our UK culture.?
Posted: 6/3/2008 2:42:09 AM
It would be terrible for britain to become too american.
Imagine a country where Patriotism is not a crime, and people are encouraged to fly their national flag.
What if schools were part of the community, and the whole town went to support their sports events.
Where the pursuit of happiness is part of the national "mission statement".
Just try to picture a country where people know their neighours, and sit out on the porch to talk to passers-by, rather than lock themselves in and watch TV.
Where fast food is fast, cheap and comes in large portions.
Where petrol is cheap.
Where people lived by the guidance of their faith to help others, not using it as a weapon to attack sinners and heretics.

Of course this only my experience of living in a small town in America for a couple of months
 Valpo26
Msg: 9 (view)

Family Assets - to girlfriend or kids ?
Posted: 6/3/2008 2:19:21 AM
Tell him to take up SKI-ing. Spending kids' inheritance.

He should make a will. Stop the government taking a huge chunk from the estate.

As for who he leaves it to, that should be up to him. But he should make a decision.
 Valpo26
Msg: 2 (view)

Dogs sniff out drugs in pubs and clubs
Posted: 6/2/2008 5:45:53 AM
My prison guard friend had a retired sniffer dog.
He used to get embarrassed when the dog indicated (by sitting and looking at the "druggie") the person with drugs, as it happened a lot with the people who lived in his neighbourhood

The worrying thing for me is that the dog can smell drugs on money up to 24 hours after it has been handled. Think how many times money can change hands on a night out.
 Valpo26
Msg: 13 (view)

Death of the masculine man?
Posted: 6/2/2008 4:18:11 AM
Real men don't iron their clothes, they press them (admittedly, using an Iron). But then again I was taught to press my kit when I was in the army. So Ironing is hardly a feminine pastime.
I think it was just that in the past, when the man went out to work, and the woman stayed at home, to be a house wife, cleaning & laundry fell into her role.
Now that most families are unable to afford for one person to stay at home, the man has to take on some of the household chores.

To get an average man to do tasks that traditionally seen as female, just give them a fancy gadget, such as a food processor, or a Dyson insted of a hoover.

As for getting under the bonnet of a car, with the increasingly complex engine management systems, I am not surprised that they don't want to meddle. Personally I know enough on my current car to top up the fluids, but wouldn't go further than that. However on my first car, which was quite old, I happily did basic mechanics.
 Valpo26
Msg: 18 (view)

are you in a weird dating demographic
Posted: 5/27/2008 10:31:39 AM
Vegetarians are not Vegans.
Vegans are hard core. They do not eat animals or animal by-products such as milk or use anything made from animals such as leather.
It's not to weird, I've known a couple of them. But it did make planning a meal out kind of awkward. It would be worse now with the newer car (leather seats).

My weird dating demographic: I want some one who is attracted to me.
 Valpo26
Msg: 32 (view)

When Does Kinky Porn Become Illegal ?
Posted: 4/30/2008 12:29:40 AM

..."unless you are a total wierdo, you have nothing to fear."

Eek!

What about films of people who enjoy flogging a dead horse?
 Valpo26

Should Men Dye Their Hair?
Posted: 4/14/2008 4:25:25 AM
"Could that be because women have 1001 shades to choose from where the male specific 'manly' colours are just black or brown?"

Does anybody know if there is a physical or chemical difference between Male & Female hair, which means that you have to use a gender specific Dye?
Or is it just marketing?

Personally life is too short to worry about the colour of my hair. It's clean, tidy and still there.
 Valpo26
Msg: 73 (view)

is techno/trance/dance dead?
Posted: 4/14/2008 3:07:30 AM
It's all just music.
But judging from the adverts for the latest compilations of dance anthems etc., I recognise most of them from at least ten years ago. So as a genre of music it has pretty much peaked. But remember they said that guitar bands were dead, just before the Beatles.
 Valpo26
Msg: 7 (view)

Does anyone still follow the Top 40 charts??
Posted: 2/14/2008 6:34:43 AM
Gave up on the charts when the blatant manipulation became impossible to ignore.
Releasing 3 or 4 different mixes of a single, so that the fans would buy every one. I think they stopped that when '19' by Paul Hardcastle did it.
Far too many one hit wonders would go straight to number one, then disappear the following week.
Ans Simon Cowell deciding which set of his performing monkeys he would allow to be Xmas No. 1 really annoyed me.
 Valpo26
Msg: 6 (view)

Twisted Car Number Plates ~ Funny ~ Sad ~ Naughty?
Posted: 1/28/2008 2:52:44 PM
WJ04NNE, Belongs to a girl called Joanne W____
J08SON, belongs to a man with that name.
Local coach firm has their three initials on the plates of most of the coaches in their fleet.

However it is a lot cheaper to change your name by deed poll to match your number plate, according to my friend Y568THK.
 Valpo26
Msg: 16 (view)

Ever had a lodger or would you?
Posted: 1/20/2008 1:20:53 PM
I've had four lodgers.
Two male, Two Female.
1st was perfect. Friend of a friend. He paid his rent by Standing order, and hardly ever came in the house as he spent most nights at his girlfriends.
2nd was okay, Friend, who has mild OCD, and I'm just an average bloke, so the housework was never good enough for her.
3rd was a mate getting divorced who stayed for a couple of months. it was a bit "men behaving badly".
4th was a nightmare. Used to get drunk, play music loud all night when I was away, and generally annoy the neighbours (She already had ASBOs for this kind of thing)

Just make sure that the lodger knows the house rules, and vet them if you don't know them already.
 Valpo26
Msg: 4 (view)

Bad luck/news/trouble comes in threes ~ True or False?
Posted: 1/20/2008 1:05:48 PM
Bad luck does come in threes, When a fourth bad thing happens, it is the start of a new set of troubles.
 Valpo26
Msg: 44 (view)

Sex with robots... WTF?!?
Posted: 1/4/2008 5:55:21 AM
To geek out again,
This could actually be a good thing if combined with ever-faster internet connections and motion sensor technology (wii type thing). If you had a robot lover, which moved as directed by the motion sensors on a body suit your partner was wearing and vice versa, you could take phone sex to a whole new level.
Could be embarrassing if you got a crossed line though.
Though they would technically be Waldoes (tele-operated machinery) rather than robots, Which would open a lot of bad jokes about 'wheres Waldo?'.
 valpo26

Do we expect too much when meeting someone?
Posted: 1/4/2008 3:24:54 AM
Could it be that we have too much choice?
When you only have a couple of choices, you might settle for the best of a bad lot.
When you have hundreds, you may believe that there will be some one even better just round the next corner.
Lots of profiles say they don't want to settle.
 valpo26

Sex with robots... WTF?!?
Posted: 1/4/2008 2:47:44 AM
To geek out for a minute,
There is an episode of Futurama (sci-fi version of 'the simpsons') which had the main character dating a robot version of Lucy Lu. His friends were horrified, but realised he had never seen the public education films warning people not to.
The basic premise of the film (within the cartoon) was that most human achievement is by men trying to impress women. Once dating robots becomes an option, why should men bother going to work, or maintain minimum standards of personal hygiene, when they can just enjoy the companionship of a partner who would never say no. Society crumbles and the planet is doomed.
It's much funnier than my description, honest.

"the people most likely to use a robot for sex are those who are too ugly or too isolated to find human romance."
Surely there is also those too idle to want to have to date a real person, just for sex.
Still it will alter prostition, as why rent, when you can buy.
 Valpo26
Msg: 21 (view)

Do single mums teach their sons to always put the toilet seat down when they are finished
Posted: 12/31/2007 4:27:51 AM
I agree with the seat & lid down, mainly because my washroom is so compact & bijou, that if I drop anything while shaving, cleaning teeth etc, thetis a good chance it would land inside the toilet if the lid wasn't closed.

But it's not rocket science, ladies, If the seat is up, in this modern age of equality you should be able to move to the down position yourself.

Show ALL Forums