Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: A Question For Guys Looking For Gals
 CanterburyMike76
Msg: 1 (view)

A Question For Guys Looking For Gals
Posted: 10/12/2018 2:04:01 AM
As a guy looking at the profiles of gals, do you find it cute, endearing, or otherwise appealing to see pics with filters added that give them rabbits ears and nose, or bigger eyes, or sparkly coronets?
 CanterburyMike76
Msg: 6 (view)

Is It Me Or Them?
Posted: 2/9/2013 2:32:44 AM
To those who offered actual advice, thank you, all of it is under consideration or being acted upon!

Kentish-Man
BTW, attention-seeking threads are not allowed on here.

It's not an attention seeking thread, it's a genuine request for help.

HelenBackAgain
(long list of statistics)

Wow, that's a well researched post! Yes, I could travel more with a car but you're forgetting - we do have trains in England!

CawkBlawker
lol at the "all the women in my area have no taste" bit. I hope you are more charming in person Mr Not all that. Just because your mother thinks you are the cat's azz, doesn't mean everyone else will think the same. Get over yourself.

Thanks for your well thought out and helpful contribution. I really value your insight. [/sarcasm aimed at time waster]

J_bird61
you're in your 30's, your "job" is listed as adventurer

No it isn't, that's my personality. My profession is listed as teacher.
I'll take your advice about the photo trimming but I can't change the length of my longest relationship and lying isn't a great idea.

Pinky127
Gawd.........another thinly disguised Nice Guy/Why's No one Responding? Thread posted in Ask A Girl.

I asked for advice on fixing, I didn't ask for pity.

colinjr23
It's no different actually. The women are exactly the same, they just spend slightly less time complaining about shit.

I was considering a paid site to see if it would be better, so thanks for the perspective.

MazingBlue007
AS for the op, profile review is a good start

Did you even read the OP? First line says I've done that over and over.
 CanterburyMike76

Is It Me Or Them?
Posted: 2/8/2013 4:16:17 PM
I've had my profile reviewed by loads of ladies and made many revisions so I'm sure I've got a profile that's about as good as it can be.
The photos are good quality and all the clothes I own have been chosen or approved by straight attractive ladies. My best friend has signed up here and she was complaining about the photos most guys have on their profile and it sounds as though my pictures are better.
When I email someone I make sure to ask a question about their profile to show I've read it and encourage a reply and I try to put something amusing in if anything comes to mind. I also don't put in any of the things that ladies have told me sound desperate. From my best friend's complaints about the emails she gets I'd say my emails are rather good. They're certainly more imaginative than "hi hun, how r u?"

All this effort and still I get no replies to my emails and single ladies I meet in the real world rarely show signs of interest. This leads me to draw two possible conclusions:
1) all the women in my area have no taste;
2) I'm not attractive.

So, ladies, please tell me which of these two conclusions I should go with. Please don't patronise me, I'm looking for honesty (but not brutal honesty, be nice please!) because if there's something I can fix then I need to know what it is.
 CanterburyMike76
Msg: 12 (view)

Help Me Not Look Too Scary!
Posted: 1/24/2013 6:49:12 AM

Don't ask the woman out for a meet/her phone number immediately. It's coming off as a tad desperate and it's creepy.
Ask her one or two questions based on her profile. Do not bombard her.
Don't rattle on and on about yourself.
Keep it light.
Add a touch of humour.
Don't comment on her physical attributes.

Lol, thanks, I knew THAT much! Thanks for answering my question. So now that I've clearly made an idiot of myself in the emails I sent out I now need to wait for new people to sign up...
 CanterburyMike76
Msg: 11 (view)

Posted: 1/22/2013 11:57:35 AM
I've read about how to write good emails so everything I've written fits what Indira says, except i probably wrote hope to hear from you soon. How the hell does that make a woman NOT write back!?

I haven't adjusted my age settings because, although I've reached the grand old age of 36 i still feel 24, (and i have the body to match!). I'd also like a girlfriend that lives near me, and i don't consider 75 miles close!
 CanterburyMike76
Msg: 9 (view)

Posted: 1/22/2013 8:05:39 AM
People here gave me so much feedback but, sadly, it's all been in vain. I emailed ladies that i thought i had a chance of getting a reply from but no one replied. So what's wrong? Am i just unattractive? My best friend tells me I'm "a very particular type" which i think amounts to the same thing. Or are they just too jealous of my hair?! Be serious please, cos if even internet dating doesn't work i don't see what chance i have...
 CanterburyMike76
Msg: 8 (view)

Posted: 12/31/2012 6:13:15 AM
Thank you all so much for your input! Clearly I'm rubbish at writing profiles and your help is much appreciated and was obviously very much needed.

I wish you all the best of luck.
 CanterburyMike76

'Viewed Me' Doesn't Work
Posted: 12/30/2012 2:08:22 PM
I've had an email from someone that doesn't show up on my 'Viewed Me' page but she must have viewed me as that's the only way of sending a message, isn't it?

Also, people have given me feedback on my profile but also aren't showing up on the 'Viewed Me' page.

Why aren't they showing?
 CanterburyMike76
Msg: 3 (view)

Posted: 12/30/2012 1:47:23 PM
Thank you all for the comments, changes have been made! Bio has been re-jigged and re-written, new photos added. Please feel free to help me more!

Sure, some ladies might not like the tight shirt thing but if that's the case they won't like me. I wear tight shirts a lot of the time, all of my clothes were chosen for me by hetero females.

That said, I appreciate the feedback from all of you that took the time :-)
 CanterburyMike76
Msg: 11 (view)

Profile review please :)
Posted: 12/30/2012 12:24:49 PM
Not helpful, but maybe some encouragement won't go amiss: I like your profile, I can't think of anything to change. I suppose that means that if you get the wrong type of emails from the wrong type of men it's not your fault!
 CanterburyMike76
Msg: 2 (view)

Looking for a review
Posted: 12/30/2012 12:19:18 PM
Your main profile pic is very poor quality and it's duplicated. The two horse pictures are almost the same so you could remove one. I'd keep the side shot and delete the one in which you're facing slightly away from the camera.

Another 'natural' shot of you might be good, in normal clothes or dressed up a bit, whatever is more 'you'.
 CanterburyMike76
Msg: 3 (view)

All/any help welcomed
Posted: 12/30/2012 12:14:31 PM
"(I realize this profile is a little half-assed and plan to pretty it up a bit later but Anchorman is on and I am getting far too distracted to finish this right now...sometimes I swear I have ADD)"

This paragraph suggests that you're not taking this seriously enough to put any effort in. Watching a film at the same time suggests total lack of commitment to the task so I'd leave it out and just get on with the prettying up.
 CanterburyMike76
Msg: 10 (view)

judge me!
Posted: 12/30/2012 12:09:21 PM
This isn't much help, but I can't think of anything that needs changing.
 CanterburyMike76
Msg: 6 (view)

Need a review please.
Posted: 12/30/2012 12:02:18 PM
"I get messages. But usually the men are (and I don't want to sound too picky or judgemental) very overweight or look like my grandfather"

I have a similar problem - attractive girls don't respond to my messages and the emails I get are from huge biker chicks!

You haven't said anywhere anything about what kind of man you want. You could say something about liking men that can still get out of a chair without risking a heart attack! Try and narrow the field without being too specific or you WILL sound shallow.
 CanterburyMike76
Msg: 4 (view)

Well... I will try this out too. Feel free to be harsh. :-)
Posted: 12/30/2012 11:53:57 AM
It's great that you seem to have put a lot of yourself in that message but the length of it suggests that perhaps you never shut up :-) You may consider cutting it down to the most important points.

The quotes in the first date section aren't relevant to that section. Either move them to the About Me section or, better yet, delete it. It may not be, but it seems like a bitter-and-cynical-rant.

I hope that helps, I don't want to cause offense.
 CanterburyMike76

Posted: 12/30/2012 11:34:04 AM
I signed up and have had to wait three days before I can post in here and I wanted to get feedback about my profile before sending any messages to people. Please take a look and give me any suggestions you have but try and be nice!

Show ALL Forums