Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Healthcare For All
 beckyht
Msg: 9 (view)

Healthcare For All
Posted: 9/21/2017 2:53:57 PM

I agree that some version of universal health care is inevitable, for two reasons:
1. Everyone we compete with has it already, so we cripple our private industry competitively as long as we continue to refuse to do the same;

Universal Healthcare isn't just inevitable. It's desirable.

How do you like our American system of health care where you can go bankrupt getting medical care? I know people who have.
In the Canadian system, you don't pay anything when you go in to your doctor(s) or hospitals(s). No one is refused medical help because they can't pay.

I have no problem paying a single payer system a 'tax', like paying for Soc. Sec. your whole life, in return for having medical care available to all. I've paid for medical insurance all my life, why not just pay into a single payer system?

I want everyone, all my neighbors and friends, to have equal access to health care.

I want to see Insurance companies (the middle men) gone!
 beckyht
Msg: 106 (view)

Why do you believe or not believe that Climate change is taking place
Posted: 9/19/2017 4:24:58 PM

I know that climate naturally changes.

I know that we've been in a thawing stage since the end of the ice age stage.

I do not know if humans are causing any acceleration of this change we are going through, it's possible, but I do not know to what extent we are capable of making huge changes.

I do know that we could do more harm than good if we go off one way or the other, but it can't hurt to change some things. I do not know that using huge batteries in cars is better than using gas, etc. I think humans are prone to going off half-cocked when confronted with media blitzing.

Of course at some point humans will become extinct, we aren't really of any importance beyond our own need to procreate. We aren't special to the planet any more than other animals and most likely insects will outlive us as a species.

daynadaze, your post is almost 2 years old, but it is spot on.
I say ditto, ditto, ditto.

I was fortunate to travel to my daughters in Oregon, and experience the sun's total eclipse. What hit home, was how, in the morning of full sun and 80 degrees, to the moment of near darkness of the total eclipse, the temperature where I was standing, dropped 20 degrees...I was thinking I needed a sweater... and then, when the eclipse was over and back to full sun, it was back to 80 degrees. It just demonstrated how much our daily temperatures are controlled by the sun. Of course, a normal day can get to 100 degrees, and down to 50 degrees in the middle of the night.

Why do people not realize that our little old earth is impacted by what happens in the solar system?
 beckyht
Msg: 120 (view)

Yes, there is Life after Death...the Soul is eternal
Posted: 9/1/2017 9:17:43 AM

So has anyone given the spiritual word a thought?

What I mean is the things that are arguably going on in it right now.

What exactly do you mean by 'the spiritual word'?

Can you give a complete definition of what this is, a definition that would be supported by thousands of others who might use this concept.

Because I haven't a clue what you might mean.
 beckyht
Msg: 38 (view)

Isn't This The Only Universe?
Posted: 9/1/2017 9:13:23 AM

I think the arrogance is not believing that there may be more than one universe. Why only limit yourself.

'Belief' is nonsense.
Expecting evidence is reasonable and justified.
 beckyht
Msg: 75 (view)

Why do you believe or not believe that Climate change is taking place
Posted: 8/30/2017 9:49:37 AM

"Why is it that we feel that we need to invent a way out of this. Nature solved this problem a long time ago."

Because the rate of change being observed is unprecedented and as such nature is unable to deal with what we are doing to the planet.

A basic understanding of climate change would mean you would have already known this.

Mother nature is controlling earth much more than humans. Of course the climate changes all the time, but I'm not convinced humans are causing it to any great extent... yet. Where I live there have been forest fires over the past several years including this year, that cover 80,000 and 90,000 acres. The amount of fuel burned in these fires generates huge amounts of CO2. We can't stop these fires from occurring, because many are caused by lightening.

And you can't forget the largest controlling power... the SUN. It generates cycles affecting our planet; why don't people remember this and acknowledge it? The SUN will affect our planet for nearly an eternity.

Our biggest problem, is our growing human population. There could be a day where we can't handle all of our human waste, our clean water sources won't be sufficient, and even more so, we're pushing mother nature's other living things, plants and animals, into extinction. More of us, less of them. Somehow we think we own this planet... but if disease or nuclear war, or insufficient resources make us go extinct... mother nature will just control the planet.
 beckyht
Msg: 3181 (view)

What good things has Trump accomplished?
Posted: 8/30/2017 9:32:41 AM

Obama has been the most divisive president,
....I hate to even talk about how divisive he was. After eight years of his divisiveness, this is what he created and passed on to Trump, a divided country.

Are you having trouble looking further back into our history?
I recall one civil war that is evidence of a huge division.
When the Confederate memorial in Charlottsville got pulled down, I became aware of the number of civil war memorials in the south that highlight the 'losing' side. I'm not from the south, and I hadn't realized there were that many statutes that continue to cause division.

Don't go blaming it on any one thing, or any one person. America is 323 million people, many with prejudices.
 beckyht
Msg: 34 (view)

Isn't This The Only Universe?
Posted: 8/30/2017 9:18:16 AM

Multiverse is only an idea.
There is no evidence to suggest one exists other than it has to be so because there is no chance that this very organized universe would arrive out of nowhere in one shot, or even a billion shots.
So,
An infinite amount of universes covers that.

Yes, a multiverse is only an idea.
When science finds something new to explain things, that finding becomes part of the known natural world.
I don't see how mankind can ever determine/know the absolute answer(s) to this universe. It's impossible to travel to even one other galaxy, so we'll never know what is out there. They're still guessing as to the 'arriving out of nowhere' or whether the universe has been here all along.
I find it interesting to read about what they do find with earth-bound instruments and probes, but I also know my life is just a short journey here on this planet.
 beckyht
Msg: 25 (view)

The Origins Of Language
Posted: 8/3/2017 12:50:52 PM

There are several indications that, in civilised parts of the world, the language has degenerated, despite the proliferation of dictionaries, libraries, schools, the internet etc

Where is your evidence on this?

Here's how another person explains:

"Literacy is a new phenomena. For all the history of humans, most people in most times did not read or write. Most languages have never had a writing system. The vast majority of writing systems are descended from 3 systems. The first writing system was 5000 years ago. They only really got going around 3000 years ago. It was only used by scribes. It was only used by a very small culture relative to the whole world. Humans have been around for at least 200,000 years. It seems that the idea of writing is very hard. Given the example of the idea some places have made their own without using another system. There were several writing systems in North America (Mexico is part of North America). The most sophisticated ones were also all descended from one source just like all the ones in Europe are from one source.

In 1500 at first contact with America, almost no one in Europe could write or read. The numbers of literate was about 5% ."

So is language better now, or was it better a thousand or two thousand years ago?
 beckyht
Msg: 205 (view)

The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors
Posted: 8/2/2017 7:15:23 PM

seems like to much work to me since I don't buy into the bible....but this is the thing. God came to Moses through the Burning Bush, gave him the Ten Commandments, laid down the law.... One God only. Why then would Moses write the first Chapter referring to Gods instead of God? So I'm not sure of the context used, but early Judaism was worshiping one God, as opposed to the Greeks and Romans, who had many Gods.

Perhaps searching for the truth is too much for you. I can't help you there. You either want to, or... it's not important to you.

You don't buy into the bible? You just did. You go about quoting Moses and the Ten Commandments... you are trusting someone else's interpretations.

The idea that Greeks and Romans has many Gods? Not exactly so. There is so much one needs to look at in history; it takes weeks if not years to figure out the detail. Perhaps the following would shed some light.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origins_of_Judaism
"Much of the Hebrew Bible was assembled, revised and edited by them in the 5th century BCE, including the Torah (the books of Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy), the historical works, and much of the prophetic and Wisdom literature. The growing collection of scriptures was translated into Greek in the Hellenistic period by the Jews of the Egyptian diaspora, while the Babylonian Jews produced the court tales of the Book of Daniel (chapters 1-6 of Daniel - chapters 7-12 were a later addition), and the books of Tobit and Esther.

Other scholars contend that the development of a strict monotheism was the result of cultural diffusion between Persians and Hebrews. While (in practice) dualistic, Zoroastrianism believed in eschatological monotheism (i.e. only one god in the end). Some suggest that it is not merely coincidence that Zoroastrianism's model of eschatological monotheism and the Deuteronomic historians' strictly monotheistic model receive formative articulations during the period after Persia overthrew Babylon."
 beckyht
Msg: 2665 (view)

The disorganization comes from getting too old to be President
Posted: 8/2/2017 3:20:38 PM
Lawrence O'Donnell has nailed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uak9Y1v4S7E

Trump has been making 'Increasingly Incoherent' statements. It's because Trump has aged just like millions of Americans, and when you get into your 70's, you routinely forget where you put your keys, forget the names of friends, and don't know what you said last week.

And that's why Ivanka stays close to her dad... to keep an eye on her dad and be there when he needs help. To remind him as to what he's said, and to what others have said. She even moved her family to be close to her father.

Trump is going to continue to say things which are incomprehensible. No one should expect it to get better. You can't make an aging brain get younger.
 beckyht
Msg: 202 (view)

Posted: 8/2/2017 2:58:50 PM

Becky, I am not going to say you are wrong because I have never studied the bible, any of them, but Judaism is based on Monotheism, the belief in One God..."there shall be no other Gods before me" or something like that.... so I don't understand how you can say the Jewish Bible originally referred to Gods...plural. That simply makes no sense.

It can make sense for you if you'd do your own studying.

This isn't as hard as it may look.

Go down to your local book store, or google amazon until you find one, and purchase a Concordance to the Bible. It lists all words in the Bible alphabetically. It's going to be a thick book.
The original Hebrew Bible was the Old Testament, which eventually got translated into Greek. The New Testament was written in Greek. Partial Bible translations into languages of the English people can be traced back to the late 7th century.

So you see, if you're reading an English version, it is a translation. And this is where you can do your research by looking up the words in a Concordance and find the original Greek or Hebrew words, and what they meant.

Go ahead, look up the word God in a concordance as it refers to the book of Genesis. Just don't run to your priest to ask him his opinion. Do your own research.

And start your research into the Sumerian's, and what their language tells us (which are centuries, if not thousands of years earlier)... what they tell you about humans on this planet at that time.

Ask yourself... how did the Sumerian's influence subsequent religions? You've heard the saying of Mesopotamia being the cradle of civilization. Here's one to review: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumerian_language

Their stone tablets covered all of life, not just religion. Their bartering system, daily life, different transactions...and their story of the gods who came down to earth... giants... and they lived with them.

You weren't taught this in kindergarten. Nor in High School. It's something you have to do as an adult... learn outside the box.
 beckyht
Msg: 193 (view)

Posted: 8/2/2017 8:50:29 AM

I do not personally need the old testament to believe that Christ died for my sins.

Take the time and study many religions. It will open your eyes.

The History of 16 Heathen Crucified Gods is an 1875 book written by American freethinker Kersey Graves,[1] which asserts that Jesus was not an actual person, but was a creation largely based on earlier stories of deities or god-men saviors who had been crucified and descended to and ascended from the underworld. Parts were reprinted in The Book Your Church Doesn't Want You to Read edited by Tim C. Leedom in 1994, and it was republished in its entirety in 2001.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World%27s_Sixteen_Crucified_Saviors
 beckyht
Msg: 192 (view)

Why is there human life on earth?
Posted: 8/2/2017 8:43:04 AM

There is enough in them to know that they where copies of copies of much older stories.

The first copies were only fragments. 'Complete' copies of the Hebrew (Old Testament) didn't occur until the 4th century.

A majority of people don’t bother to do their own research. They’re led by someone else.

A concordance to the bible allows you to dig into the history. How many know that the word ‘God’ in the book of Genesis is plural in it’s original form?

“The very first verse of the Bible reads: ‘In the beginning God (plural) created (singular) the heavens and the earth’. Moses, the author of Genesis, chose to use the Hebrew plural term elohim for God, rather than the singular el or the singular poetic form eloah.”

Using a concordance, look up other references to ‘God’ in the book of Genesis, and you’ll find it’s plural. Churches don’t want you to know this.

Look at the real original manuscripts of the Sumerian civilization, Mesopotamia region. The stone writings are numerous, and they're still original, older than modern scriptures. They say the Anunnaki GODS came 'down' here, and created us to be worker humans for them, they needed worker humans to mine this planet for gold. They had a 'flood story', all a precursor to modern known Christian, Jewish, and Muslim scriptures.

So were there Gods, plural?

I think the answer is YES. Makes you question the imaginary God churches preach today. If people would only wake up.
 beckyht
Msg: 96 (view)

Yes, there is Life after Death...the Soul is eternal
Posted: 7/27/2017 6:36:15 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^
You two, stop it.

Take your argument somewhere else.
 beckyht
Msg: 2488 (view)

Comrade Trump is the Lying King
Posted: 7/25/2017 7:54:58 AM

See if you can spot the difference.
https://i.imgur.com/xg8iBuh.mp4

Oh, that's a good one!

When will Trump supporters realize the charade they've been suckered into? It's the new Apprentice, on a larger scale. No one is exempt from the "You're fired!"

We could become the new Mexico with only two classes, the wealthy and the poor. No middle class. America's middle class is already heading in that direction. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/americas-middle-class-is-shrinking-yet-thriving-in-many-other-european-countries-2017-04-24

beckyht
Msg: 149 (view)

Posted: 7/25/2017 7:26:30 AM

No one might care, but apparently some guys say that because of the large distances between, heavenly bodies won't hit each other if galaxies actually collide.
That's hard to believe....
So they might just pass through?
Probably hardly even notice.

Another one of your babbling statements, "some guys say".

I suggest that you really do proper research. Try this site, "What happens when galaxies collide": https://www.space.com/36990-what-happens-when-galaxies-collide.html

NASA (scientists, by the way), already has provided us pictures of known galaxies that ARE colliding, and what two galaxies look like after they have collided. QUOTE: During the merger, 100 trillion suns's worth of material collide, mix and IGNITE. This is hardly a "pass through". And NO, this doesn't just happen over night.
-------------------
"Two galaxies are drawn together by forces they can't see but they can feel. It's a mutual gravitational attraction. It's inevitable: Inch by inch, light-year by light-year, as the cosmic clock ticks on through the eons, the galaxies grow closer.
As they near each other, the galaxies begin to embrace as thin tendrils of gas and stars reaching out through the tenuous medium between them.
Then, they collide. These two massive structures, each 100,000 light-years across, host hundreds of billions of stars. During the merger, 100 trillion suns' worth of material collide, mix and ignite.

And what's left after the fireworks? A broken, dim, dying galaxy — one that will never shine as brightly or as fully as it could in the era before the great disaster."
 beckyht
Msg: 148 (view)

Posted: 7/24/2017 10:52:26 PM

I have no reason to address all of your pointless for now questions, lol.
Your a waste of time.
You won't discuss your favorite proof of evo.
You do what all evoes do.
You, and others too, just bring up distractions.

No one is trying to distract you. Some of us like to look to what the scientific method is showing us. Some of us respect what is being taught in Universities, the evidence not linked to any imaginary 'faith'.

Some guy said; its a universe marvelously arranged, obeying certain laws, that we understand dimly.
Sounds kinda ordered to me....ah, but what did he know.

"Sounds kinda ordered"??? This isn't any evidence of anything. It's babble talk.

Evolution is a fact substantiated by a lot of evidence. Along with the millions of years of evolution, it is also happening all around you in small steps. Unfortunately there are also extinctions going on too.

Did you mean Richard Dawson, or Richard Dawkins? It was Charles Darwin who popularized the term "natural selection".
 beckyht

A thought regarding Eternity
Posted: 7/24/2017 3:16:40 PM
I am just very glad my childhood wasn't spent in any classroom run by any 'devout' religious persons.

True freedom is to be free of any entity or teachings which take control of you.
 beckyht
Msg: 8 (view)

Jiddu Krishnamurti?
Posted: 7/24/2017 2:59:49 PM
Ok, I took the bait.
I looked him up.

Wiki says
"According to witnesses it started on 17 August 1922 when Krishnamurti complained of a sharp pain at the nape of his neck. Over the next two days the symptoms worsened, with increasing pain and sensitivity, loss of appetite, and occasional delirious ramblings. He seemed to lapse into unconsciousness, but later recounted that he was very much aware of his surroundings, and that while in that state he had an experience of "mystical union". Supposedly these experiences lasted until his death much later.

I suspect, if he were subjected to modern medicine, MRI's, and an attempt to diagnose his medical condition, there would be a root to these symptoms. In my career, I've heard physicians and psychiatrists talk about patients who have underlying mental health issues, and yet when seen by people they're in contact with, may appear nearly normal. Many mental health facilities have seen cut backs, and people who perhaps should be under more supervised care, are out on the streets. What do you think it was like several hundred years ago?

I shake my head at the number of people throughout history who manage to gain a following based on prophecies with no evidence.
 beckyht
Msg: 7 (view)

Jiddu Krishnamurti?
Posted: 7/24/2017 1:00:12 PM

His logic and reasoning seem nearly flawless.

Why don't you tell us what this is? So we don't have to guess. Who is the guy?
 beckyht
Msg: 144 (view)

Posted: 7/24/2017 12:47:09 PM

Things just throw themselves in beautiful perfect order all the time.

Oh sure they do. Galaxies crashing into each other, that's perfect order?

Gods allowing humans by the hundreds of thousands to starve all over this world? That's perfect order?

The really sad part, is, mankind as a whole isn't doing anything to manage population growth. We're going to run out of places to put our garbage. And increasing population is causing more and more animal and plant extinctions at a rising scale. I don't know which will happen first, we'll cause our own human extinction, or the planet will lose a majority of other animal and plant life.

But do you want an answer to the original question. Why are we here?

Study the stone tablets of the Sumerian civilization, Mesopotamia region. The stone writings are numerous, and they're still original. They say the Anunnaki came 'down' here, and created us to be worker humans for them, they needed worker humans to mine this planet for gold. They had a 'flood story', all a precursor to modern known Christian, Jewish, and Muslim scriptures.
 beckyht

love him or leave him?
Posted: 7/21/2017 9:10:16 AM
Steve Harvey has a book out "Straight Talk, No Chaser" and in it he gives advice I remember to this day. In it, he says, how you express yourself and what you offer in the beginning, is what you'll get for the long term. If you want marriage, you have to hold out and state so in the beginning. If you want to plan someday for a family, you have to make your wishes known in the beginning. If you only want to commit to Saturday night dates, that's what you'll get. If you state 'you don't want a relationship' in the beginning, that is likely what you'll get.

I truly don't understand why it took 18 months to find out you loved him. And honestly, I hope he's giving you nice gifts, lots of dinners, and maybe paid vacations. Because I don't see anything else coming.

So, be careful what you say in your early dates.

If you like whatever it is he's giving you now, stay. If you don't, start looking around. You don't have a contract with him. And you don't have to tell him if you do date anyone else. Get going.
 beckyht
Msg: 26 (view)

Getting to know you
Posted: 7/21/2017 9:00:30 AM

So to me the words "get to know you better" translate to "I'm not all that interested in dating you but I don't have any other offers right now".

What does the phrase mean to you? If you're genuinely hoping to learn more about the person, what is it you're actually hoping to learn?

It means, they want Time.

What exactly did you mean by "a desire to pursue more than dates/sex"? A business relationship? A financial relationship?
I think perhaps your question was unnecessary. In early dating, both parties are free to date as many others as they wish. Heck, for 3 months, I dated two guys seriously until I realized my current BF was more of a match. Neither knows of the other to this day.

Time, getting to know one another over a lot of time, will eventually let both individuals determine whether you have a keeper.
 beckyht
Msg: 44 (view)

so phone numbers given out or not, that is the question ?
Posted: 7/21/2017 8:50:40 AM

I've never posted on here before, so here goes.... twice now after having spoke to two men on here for quite some time, I have given my phone number out after discussing planning a meet. Only to have the conversations stopped and never hearing from them again.

This is odd... because I would think after "quite some time", your gut would tell you if the man was real and honest.

I never handed out a phone until I felt really comfortable. I also used an alias name on dates, even into the 2nd or 3rd date. My current BF and I have a memory that will last forever. We were on our 3rd dinner date, and as we were leaving, another guest saw me, and called me by my real name. The gig was up. We laugh still to this day. He completely understands, I was just being safe for good reasons.

I did date/meet some guys that I never want to see again. They don't have my real name, and no idea where I live. The way I want it.
 beckyht
Msg: 50 (view)

Men Over 70
Posted: 7/21/2017 8:35:50 AM

I’m surprised at the number of men over 70 on here, and their lack of communication. I’m willing to correspond with them and get to know them, but they all want something different than my response.

My marriage ended 7 years ago. I used dating sites to contact guys, and just talk, as a way to learn. Many were 70 or so. I've made non-local friends, some I still am in contact with, some through facebook. It has been a way to learn what goes on in other communities, and where we had common interests, sometimes things of interest are still shared.

In early dating, I soon found that those who pushed for the early coffee date, had early sex in mind. Seriously, was I looking to hop in bed with a stranger? Some even said they wanted to meet to see if there was 'chemistry'. I got so sick of these types, that I soon refused to have coffee dates, they were a waste of time.

It really depends on the individual. Some have good written communication skills, others do not.
 beckyht
Msg: 56 (view)

Effort in a relationship
Posted: 7/13/2017 8:18:55 AM
Try cutting back your "effort in a relationship". Do other things. Go back on the dating sites, try talking with other men. Get going.

It goes without saying that you don't tell him what you're doing. You're going to find out really quickly that he's not going to put out an effort.

People who really care about each other will drive to the ends of the earth to see each other. He could, but he's not.

His brother would be homeless if he had to move out. So that is never going to happen. Do you really want to live with this brother the rest of your life? I wouldn't.

It's your feelings that are hurt. I'm suggesting that you do other things, make yourself happy in other ways, to get past this so that you can see how what is happening today, is not good for you.

I'm giving you a big hug, just to assure you that you will be ok. Take care of yourself first.
 beckyht

Sleeping habits/needs
Posted: 7/12/2017 10:56:25 AM

No sleeping pills, no meds of any kind. I wonder about his blood sugar - he doesn't even breakfast, or lunch, or anything at all until late afternoon or dinner time. Then he snacks a lot during the evening. I wonder about his testosterone too - he carries all his body fat in his belly, and has man boobs. He did get it checked a few years ago and was told it was normal.

Absolutely, it could be his blood sugar. And you can't just do one test in a doctor's office, the Doc is likely too busy to pick up on it.

As we get older, we metabolize things differently, particularly sugar/carbohydrates. When you are 20, you can eat a package of chocolates and cruise through it. By the time you're over 50, you're body isn't as fast with the insulin production to handle that sugar. There is this thing called age related diabetics. A lot of the older generation is facing early signs of type 2 diabetics.

What happens, with high blood sugar, is that you get sleepy. At a younger age, you just feel sleepy after a lunch, because your blood sugar goes up until your body metabolizes it. Later in life, it can actually make you fall asleep, and not for short periods. It will happen based on when you're eating the too much of the wrong thing. Also, periods of high blood sugar can silently be doing damage to other organs.

Two things one can do. From the pharmacy, get a simple blood tester. A simple tiny poke in the finger will give you a blood sugar number. Read what is 'normal' for different times of the day (before meals, after, evening, etc.) Here's a chart:
http://www.joslin.org/info/Goals-for-Blood-Glucose-Control.html

You don't have to see a doctor to do this. But it can change your life for the better. I hope your BF can do this self testing.

The 2nd thing, once you understand your body, then one can change their diet, by including more proteins and less carbs. I have found that I have to do this, I was falling asleep when I didn't understand why. Now, with proper diet, I don't have that problem. I too had mentioned it to my doc, who brushed it off. Luckily, my BF had the blood sugar tester, which I began to use, and realized I was getting too high after eating too much rice, potatoes, bread, etc., and not enough protein.
 beckyht
Msg: 28 (view)

What do you get out of this forum?
Posted: 7/11/2017 10:42:21 AM

I read the forums to remind me of what I'm NOT missing, about dating. Most of the time, I'll just sit back and read the arguments. What I do remember, is this- Women want

Men who make 150K+ a year.
Drive a Ferrari.
Want one with a PhD (Or higher)
At least 6 foot tall.
Is a hopeless romantic.
And admits that women are always right.

Only the first one I agree with, LOL.
A Ferrari is too close to the ground, I find any car like that hard to get into; I don't want one. I don't want to be near any car someone thinks they can drive like they're on a racetrack.
A PhD in itself means nothing unless you find out the character behind it. I dated a super brilliant guy once, it became apparent he was only concerned in talking over my head, it wasn't attractive at all.
Anyone my height or taller will do.
Hopeless? I'd rather have someone who has sensible abilities, and believes in the scientific method... not fantasy.
I've not met anyone who is 'always right'... both parties need to be humble at times to understand when they are not right.

And the money thing? Just someone who's planned well in life and isn't, at retirement, in debt.
 beckyht
Msg: 32 (view)

Just Turned 61... (Actually, Tomorrow)
Posted: 7/7/2017 9:34:58 AM
And, what is it you want?

You come on POF, looking for one or more women, I assume. And your 'advertisement' is to post a naked chest.

I can't say there won't be some 60'ish or late 50'ish women who'll like the naked chest thought. However, I think a majority of women in this age group will be looking at the whole man, looking for someone who cares about how they look dressed. The first impression I'm looking for isn't the nude look, in fact, it turns me off.

I think all of your photos could be improved. Perhaps go have a profile review.
 beckyht
Msg: 22 (view)

On a relationship break
Posted: 6/28/2017 10:48:17 PM

As a nurse, I can tell you that a vegan diet is not for everyone. It can cause a lot of issues with bloating and gas (that is putting it in layman's terms). Also, and more important, a lot of people struggle with getting enough protein and Iron on a vegan diet.

Exactly.
I have a close friend who's 14 year old daughter has been vegan for a while, and just a couple months ago she go a kidney stone which wouldn't pass naturally, and she and her parents were told by the doctors that she had to make serious changes to her diet or it would likely repeat itself.
 beckyht
Msg: 58 (view)

No Romance/Sex in relationship for almost a year
Posted: 6/28/2017 10:18:01 PM
^^^^
No woman owes you anything.

Some men know how to treat us like a lady, to make us feel special. The others, don't have a clue.
 beckyht
Msg: 66 (view)

One-Liner Messages
Posted: 6/27/2017 4:35:52 PM
There are a few who do one-liner messages. The same people usually say they prefer talking by phone. They just never became writers.

And there are the one-liner talkers. Those types just have difficulty carrying on any kind of conversation. Or their conversation gets stuck on one topic they can repeat.
 beckyht
Msg: 19 (view)

Getting blocked by someone for no apparent reason
Posted: 6/27/2017 4:30:27 PM

I always have a good reason to block someone they messaged me without an invitation.

This makes no sense. You can send out messages/invitations, but the other side can't send you messages/invitations?

For sure, now that I know, I won't be sending you any messages.

And on the topic of this thread, in the past when I was active, I don't remember ever being blocked. I just tried to respond friendly to anyone who sent me a message, or I apologized with some lame excuse if I didn't think it would be productive to continue.
 beckyht
Msg: 61 (view)

Am I being made to feel less than a woman for lack of 'assets'?
Posted: 6/26/2017 6:05:19 PM
Sleeps:
Yes, you have to ignore a lot of the advice given here. People are way to happy to suggest that you give up the guy you're meeting, to find someone else. Often it's rubbish advice.

Life is about building experiences. Your friend may not be long term permanent, but nevertheless, you're building knowledge and experience. No one will make your final decisions, only you will. Enjoy his friendship as long as you choose. If he brings up unpleasant things, you may have to be prepared to change the subject, and if he persists, say that you need to leave or go home to do some work or something. Hopefully he'll learn. And as a hint to you, don't hesitate to date multiple people at the same time.

The only suggestion I have, which is pretty simple... about your "assets", is to get bras which increase your size slightly. You won't be the only one doing it. Easy to do, and you might just find that even one size increase will be something you like. Doesn't mean you op for surgery, not ever. Clothing is something all of us women spend time choosing, and that includes the bras we all wear.
 beckyht
Msg: 273 (view)

The Democratic Leader
Posted: 6/23/2017 8:55:41 AM

Breathe Hawking breathe.......YIKES!!!

There are some really annoying things here.

One of them is the repeated 'YIKES!'.

It's like someone who always says... 'LIKE', or 'HEY MAN' or any number of repeated things because they haven't learned to speak appropriately.

But it's been proven now that one can talk like a 1st grade bully and become president. Or maybe that's an 8th grade bully/dropout.
 beckyht

Texting before1st date?
Posted: 6/20/2017 5:35:06 PM

I wasn't saying I'm a flake, I was wondering if HE would flake on me.

Oh, come on! You think some of us here have a crystal ball? And we know what is in his mind? Seriously?

Wonder all you want. Speculate all you want.

Don't assume he has to do an expectation you have (text a lot). He doesn't know you yet.

It's up to you to be ready and available if he's actually asked you for a date.
 beckyht
Msg: 2889 (view)

All the President's Men, revisited
Posted: 6/17/2017 7:59:33 AM
Worth watching tonight, MSNBC

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/all-the-presidents-men-revisited-airs-saturday-617-msnbc

"On Saturday, June 17th, MSNBC will feature a special presentation of All the President’s Men Revisited. The special airs on the 45th anniversary of the infamous break-in at the Democratic National Committee headquarters, an event that set the stage for one of the biggest political scandals in history and the resignation of President Richard Nixon.

The documentary, narrated by Robert Redford, offers a deep-dive into the explosive Watergate scandal, weaving first-hand accounts from members of the Nixon administration at the center of the story with scenes from Robert Redford’s movie All the President’s Men. "
 beckyht
Msg: 220 (view)

Why do older Men think like they are teenagers. Wanting to know about Sex first?
Posted: 6/16/2017 5:36:01 PM

The OP’s statement implies that sex will inevitably end

http://www.medicaldaily.com/seniors-have-sex-too-people-their-70s-and-80s-far-more-sexually-active-once-thought-319978

"that people in their 70s and 80s are still sexually active a lot of the time. A new study finds up to 54 percent of men and 31 percent of women report having sex at least twice a month."

"At least twice a month." I guess this means the rest have it even less. Must be other things more important as time goes by.

I remember it being said... "nothing lasts forever"
 beckyht
Msg: 216 (view)

Why do older Men think like they are teenagers. Wanting to know about Sex first?
Posted: 6/16/2017 11:04:57 AM

Those widows don't work nor need a 2nd income anymore either.

I've heard several widows comment how they don't need a man anymore. They're retired home owners.

Apparently they felt their only role in their relationship was to provide sex for shelter.

I certainly am not going to call this vile. Everyone has the right during their lifetime, to choose their environment.

Has no one never heard of sugar daddies? There is a prominent web site where women can seek a sugar daddy. Let's face it, it's a younger woman giving something in order to have her bills paid and a man lavish gifts on her. How is this different from "providing sex for shelter"?
 beckyht
Msg: 212 (view)

Posted: 6/16/2017 10:23:00 AM

There are worse things than being lonely

Very true. Having a life changing automobile accident could be one. Being assaulted viciously could be another. This list could be long.

I'm not bringing my BF here, but he'd be laughing his head off about your supposition.

Why is it you 'get these feelings'? You haven't a clue.

And maybe you just want to ignore the fact there are tons of older women who have different desires then you. They certainly don't frequent these dating sites. I'm not saying my life is theirs. They pretty much know I have a significant other.

And it's nice to know some men will say they appreciate other things about women as well, and those things are just as important.

This thread has made me think back to several dates I had some years ago. The men, who were obviously looking for sex from the get-go, not realizing they were just a stranger off the street... it was ludicrous.
 beckyht
Msg: 208 (view)

Posted: 6/16/2017 8:16:06 AM

Nothing better than good sex. Nothing.. onion rings close

Just your opinion

I have heard 'sex is all in your mind', and that is actually really true. The neurons actually send all sensation to your brain cells, that's where you're feeling it.
There are many kinds of people. My life, for me, has included many 'better' moments. The joy of learning, seeing, experiencing, goes beyond the 'act'.

Actually, I can't say I know what you meant by 'good sex'. Probably 100 different definitions and opinions. Porn to some is good sex. Submission to some is good sex. Many partners to some is good sex. And many others would disagree with all of these.

The senior women I was talking about, are women who had long, wonderful marriages, and have lost their husbands, and don't find it necessary in their lives to try to find a replacement just so they can have sex. 70's, 80's, 90's, some in their 60's. They find the joy of their family and friends very fulfilling. Many are very active in church or community groups, and possibly taking planned world tours... more power to them!
 beckyht
Msg: 203 (view)

Posted: 6/15/2017 5:03:14 PM
The real question is... why do men need sex so much? Why?

Is it just genetics? The male gene in all animals? Do men really know the answer to this?

I know some women want it too, however, in my many conversations or just listening to a lot of older women, a lot of them just are tired of 'doing the act'. They no longer want to do some sort of 'trade'... they've found family and friends fill the need for interaction. And, many have their own income and assets, so they just hire the handyman to do some chores.

I'd really would be interested in hearing from men... why do you need/want sex so much?
 beckyht
Msg: 12 (view)

How do I push myself to take that first step?
Posted: 6/8/2017 8:31:10 PM

I was married for 25 years and I know I am letting so much just float on by but I cannot seem to accept any of the wonderful invites I have recieved from intetested users. I JUST DONT KNOW WHY???? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It's 4 years later and you're together again. This would mean you're still emotionally invested in your ex. That's understandable after being married 25 years.

You're not interested in others because you're interested in the ex. Maybe the best thing that could happen, is for you to get couples counseling. You might be able to make it work. But you have to be ready to invest yourself into making it work!
 beckyht
Msg: 8 (view)

Mixed signals
Posted: 6/8/2017 8:22:40 PM

I suggest when a gal gives you her number? CALL her!

Diddo.

Don't try to speculate what went on here. You weren't serious in getting a hold of her. This is the 21st century. Pick up the phone.

Sending messages is fine, but if you want to be serious about getting to know someone, you can't just sit around waiting for a message.
 beckyht
Msg: 47 (view)

No Romance/Sex in relationship for almost a year
Posted: 6/8/2017 7:21:54 PM
This is an old post from 2012.

I hope he's resolved it by now.
 beckyht
Msg: 96 (view)

Too much attention to his grandkids?
Posted: 6/8/2017 7:12:17 PM
Janet,
I’m really sorry you’re getting the responses here. You’ve come here with a simple request, and the thread get’s way off topic.

I just want to tell you you’re ok. You really are. No one is perfect. But don’t expect this POF forum to have trained professionals on it. It doesn’t. What this forum has is a lot of people who like to bash others.

I would suggest that you take little of what was said here to heart. It’s rubbish. You’ve said he loves you. If you both love each other, you’re going to do just fine. That really is the most important thing.

About his grandkids? Well, no one should expect you to be there at a Taekwondo constantly because he chooses to. Everyone has a life. You have a life. Even in the best of relationships, each person should also have their own time to pursue their own happiness. You go girl, stand strong for the things you believe in… and don’t worry about what people said here.
 beckyht
Msg: 21 (view)

It only works if you Give People A Chance
Posted: 5/29/2017 12:30:18 PM
Forget the 'Meet me' or match features on any dating site. You can do better. And you should put a little of your own effort into doing your own searches. Use the search function, and then read profiles.

You need to get some practice. Start sending messages, talk about anything. Send messages to women some distance away to get some experience, those that will talk/chat with you will give you honest advice.

You're worrying about who should initiate? Get going, just start sending messages! also use the free site o k cupid.
 beckyht
Msg: 207 (view)

Trumpiages
Posted: 4/25/2017 10:34:44 PM

For her to defend him, considering how he treated her mother, says it all.

Exactly.

I'd really like to know why Ivanka is so loyal to her Dad and not her Mother. Is it just all about the money, the inheritance?
 beckyht
Msg: 36 (view)

North Korea - What Next
Posted: 4/17/2017 12:46:36 PM
"missile test today was a failure!"

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/16/mcfarland-no-comment-on-reports-us-sabotaged-north-korea-missile-launch-calls-launch-fizzle.html

“You know we can’t talk about secret intelligence and things that might have been done, covert operations,” McFarland told “Fox News Sunday.” “I really have no comment.”

That is what you need to know. Covert operations.

Do you really think the US doesn't have weapons that we're not told about? Advance weapons of power that are no longer nuclear but equally effective?

So outwardly, the bullies on both sides are doing a war of words. To convince the public of what they want us to think.

Inwardly, the US/world powers aren't going to allow certain things to happen on this planet. At whatever cost to human life they think is necessary.
 beckyht
Msg: 221 (view)

The biggest threat ever is from Russia because
Posted: 4/7/2017 3:34:03 PM

There is no evidence that syria used chemical weapons

Dee, what evidence do you want?

And what evidence do you have as to who really did it?

Show ALL Forums