Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Is it normal for guys to ask personal questions before meeting you?
 browneyesseeking
Msg: 6 (view)

Is it normal for guys to ask personal questions before meeting you?
Posted: 6/24/2015 9:27:28 PM
The other posters are spot on. Asking information about how many sexual partners you have had BEFORE you have even met is out of line.

Now, if you had met him, liked each other and were going down the path to intimacy, it is prudent to be having conversations about sexual health. Any STDs, last time screened, have there been any sexual partners since the last screening. But, talking about such things before you determine that you like each other and are headed towards intimacy, I don't think so!

Personally, I have no problem sharing the number of sexual partners I have had (with someone I am dating), but not everyone feels the same way.
 Browneyesseeking
Msg: 3 (view)

Facebook friends with ex?
Posted: 6/24/2015 10:39:55 AM
I am Facebook friends with one of my exes. He is still a friend. If someone I were dating now were to have a problem with it, I'd like to think I would choose to keep my friendship. Things ended well between the two of us.

My ex husband, who I was with for more than 20 years, is not on my Facebook. I do not consider him a friend, and stuff I post on Facebook is none of his business.

I think it says a lot about someone's character if they are able to remain friends with their ex.
 Browneyesseeking

RIP *cowboy*
Posted: 6/9/2015 2:47:09 PM
How terribly sad. I was wondering why he had stopped posting. Tipping my (cowboy) hat to you, Cowboy. May you rest in peace.
 browneyesseeking
Msg: 7 (view)

This user no longer has an account.
Posted: 6/1/2015 3:28:39 PM
Yep, if they had merely deleted their own account, all of their messages TO you would still be in your inbox (provided they are less than 20 days old). If their messages TO you are gone, either:
1. they blocked you, then deleted their own account OR
2 they were deleted by POF for breaching one of the terms of conditions.

Hopefully they show up tonight (or maybe NOT)!
 Browneyesseeking
Msg: 51 (view)

Where you are all wrong on dealing with loneliness
Posted: 5/31/2015 5:49:07 PM
DeepakChoprahWinfrey, I hope you are okay! Please find someone in real life to talk to, and check back in so we know you are okay.

Find some activities you enjoy and spend time with your family and friends. This feeling is temporary and there are things that will make you feel better. pM me if you wish.
 Browneyesseeking
Msg: 1 (view)

How to ask for monogamy?
Posted: 5/29/2015 9:06:12 PM
I have gone out 4 times with someone I met online about 3 weeks ago so very new connection. There is certainly a lot of chemistry and a great connection. I have asked him to get tested for Std's and he has agreed. I have already been tested and shared my results with him. Problem is we are leading to sex AND I don't feel comfortable having sex with someone UNLESS I am the only person they are having sex with, even with protection. We will not be sleeping together until this topic is adressed, but I am not sure how to address it.

Now I don't want to freak him out as I appreciate this is very new. I am not asking for a ring ;-). Nor a promise of a life long commitment. I like him and would like to go to the next step soon. Any suggestions on how to bring this up without him running for the hills?
 Browneyesseeking
Msg: 11 (view)

Profile is hidden but comes up in username search.
Posted: 4/18/2015 5:15:32 PM
My posts time out all the time. Type your post. Copy it. If it disappears when you try to post it, simple try again by pasting it and posting it. Hope that makes sense!
 browneyesseeking
Msg: 35 (view)

Do I share info on found on internet about him with him
Posted: 4/12/2015 11:54:31 AM
I would happily post the phone number here so that you could google it yourself and see what I saw, but then I will get lambasted for doing so.

The google search of what I assume is his cell number lead me to websites called ruscammer.net, as well as callercenter.com. On both sites people had reported things like "watch out" "stay away" "dangerous man" "scammer". A few actually made reference to his first name (which he had given me) and his business (which matched the field he told me he worked in).

Again, no way to verify if the information is true, or even if all the comments were made by one disgruntled ex out "to get" him, but I am not willing to take the chance on some person I met just online.

Edited to add: I would have no way to contact the individual(s) who made the comments as the comments are either made anonymously or with first name only. And why.would.I?
 browneyesseeking
Msg: 31 (view)

Posted: 4/12/2015 10:48:27 AM
Ouch!

To clarify, I made the date last night to meet him this afternoon with every intention to meet him. Only after logging off last night, and googling his number did I find information online that made me decide to not meet him. Whether the information is true/ reliable or not is debatable, but it seemed to be made by a few different people. Sure, they could all be exes, and the information could be untrue. But the point is, I became uncomfortable when I found it.

This person is not my friend, not my colleague, not my client; he is someone I spent an hour chatting with on an online dating site. I became uncomfortable and had no obligation to him to give him the benefit of the doubt. Ultimately, this could be MY loss. He could be a really wonderful guy and I may be missing out on something wonderful by making the decision to not give him the benefit of the doubt. I am okay with that.

If you were to read through the thread, you would see that I did send him a message first thing this morning to let him know that I would not be able to meet him today- I did not give him a reason. For all he knew, I was cancelling because I was sick. He blocked me immediately without asking why I could not meet with him. I did NOT stand him up, and would never do that to someone.

And to clarify, what I found online were comments about him not reports. My mistake, I used the wrong word. It was late and the context was that people had "reported him". My bad.
 Browneyesseeking
Msg: 19 (view)

Posted: 4/12/2015 8:42:51 AM
Thanks to all of you who gave constructive advice!

I simply sent a message saying I would not be able to make it today. Then, he blocked ME. LOL!

I too was surprised about what I found when googling a phone number.
 browneyesseeking
Msg: 1 (view)

Posted: 4/11/2015 11:49:59 PM
Here goes:

I was chatting with someone online tonight, and had a fairly good chat. There were a couple of fairly small red flags. He suggested exchanging number after only a few messages and he was quite set on location. But other than that all looked good.

We have set up a meet for tomorrow, but something prompted me to google his phone number. I have never thought to do this for any one else before, but obviously something was making my spidey senses tingle!

Well well well, there are a few reports of the number being a scammer and someone even mentions meeting him o POF and to stay away. A few of the reports are within the past couple of days.

Now I do appreciate that there are two sides to every story, but I will NOT be meeting him (especially since it would require a 45 minute drive!) My question is do I tell him the real reason? Do I tell him that an internet search of his phone number lead me to a bunch of negative comments or do I just come up with some other reason?
 browneyesseeking
Msg: 8 (view)

How to Make it in Vancouver
Posted: 4/8/2015 6:52:56 PM
Gotta love people who seek advice yet are offensive when it is given. A well-written profile and flattering photos make a world of difference.

Something to note is that a lot of people on here are strictly here for the forums and that may be why they have no photos displayed!
 browneyesseeking
Msg: 2 (view)

who i viewed question
Posted: 4/8/2015 6:48:35 PM
My understanding is that if someone has hidden their profile, you can still find them if you search by their name, but they will not show up in other areas such as who I viewed and who viewed me.
 Browneyesseeking
Msg: 568 (view)

Paying for a date
Posted: 3/29/2015 9:02:39 PM
Who pays always seems like such a contentious issue. I always go to a first meet expecting to pay for my share. If I have suggested the date, I try to pick up the whole tab. It seems extremely presumptuous to assume that someone else will pay for you.... And dinner at that!! In my opinion, that is showing extremely poor manners. I am a mom with young children and there have been ocassions where I have had to quickly leave, but I have always left money to cover my share. It a man pays for me on a first meet, it is appreciated, but never expected.

The one and only time I was a bit annoyed that the man did not offer to pay for my $2 tea was when I had driven 30 minutes for the first meet and he had walked 5 minutes from his home. To add to it, there were 2 Starbucks in the mall where we met so I sat at the wrong one for 20 minutes, before figuring it out. He was very familiar with the mall and should have been clearer about the meeting place. I never eat on a first meet. In fact, a few times the man I was meeting ordered food and I simply sipped on my tea. If a man pays for me on the first meet, I always make the point of telling them that I will pay the next time.
 Browneyesseeking
Msg: 4 (view)

Only accepts messages from upgraded users?
Posted: 3/21/2015 7:08:00 PM
They want to significantly reduce the number of people who are able to contact them. Hmmm ... Doesn't really make sense to me if they are here to meet someone...
 Browneyesseeking

Getting along - he deletes his pictures
Posted: 3/21/2015 6:05:08 PM
Sometimes, if I have met someone who I feel a connection with and sense some potential, I will either remove my photos or hide my profile (more likely) so that I can focus on getting to know that one person without the distraction of new contacts from others. In my opinion, I would see it as a positive sign.
 browneyesseeking
Msg: 9 (view)

Meet Me feature
Posted: 3/15/2015 12:06:00 AM
Currently, even "hidden" profiles are viewable if you search by their user name.
 Browneyesseeking

POF Message Board Emoticons
Posted: 2/10/2015 11:25:48 AM

Testing.......... The........emojis.......
 Browneyesseeking
Msg: 81 (view)

Forum Posting Violations Please Report Here
Posted: 2/7/2015 8:58:00 PM
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts16342462.aspx
groveman2015 calling other posters names...
 Browneyesseeking
Msg: 96 (view)

Paying for a date
Posted: 1/16/2015 7:42:48 PM
Supersoulson - I am super hungry... I'll take you up on your offer😃how about Le Crocodile?
 browneyesseeking
Msg: 15 (view)

How should I answer this?
Posted: 1/11/2015 5:49:46 PM
Sorry, but her comment is a very clear sign of "not interested". If you push it, you will make things awkward at the next dating meetup you run into her at. When you asked her for her profile name at the meetup, she didn't want to have to tell you in front of a group/ to your face that she was not interested.

I would send her a quick, light hearted message back... something along the lines of "thanks for your message, and best of luck to you too!"

Editted to add: okay, I have not been in a long term relationship for more than two years, but I do know that if *I* made that comment to someone, it would be because I really was NOT interested.
 browneyesseeking

how do you show someone your privates??
Posted: 1/8/2015 8:17:51 PM
My understanding is that the privilege of sending private photos has been revoked for men as too many were sending private photos of their privates. I think that women however can still send private photos.

You will have to share email addresses with the person you are communicating with and send your photos that way.
 browneyesseeking

2 questions
Posted: 1/7/2015 6:40:13 PM
Sounds like your account was deleted and there is no way for you to find out why.

No, you will not be able to read a message that was sent to your deleted account.

If you are searching for someone and can't find them it is either because their profile is hidden or it has been deleted by them or by POF.

Set up a new account (make sure you only have ONE account or it will be deleted too) and hopefully she will find you and message you.
 browneyesseeking
Msg: 136 (view)

How to answer 'how many men have you slept with?' question?
Posted: 1/4/2015 6:02:33 PM
How horrible... what a double standard you have Blueguy :-(

It is one thing to preach that men and women both should be selective and pick their sexual partners carefully, but you openly admit that you believe that it is okay for men to have many sexual partners, but NOT women??? Where is the logic here?

People of both genders are free to make their OWN choices and we all have the right to choose who we sleep with (and the number of partners).

I have had very few partners (less than 5, and hope that my future partner has also been selective), but what I really am more concerned about is why his past relationships have not worked out and that he is serious about a committed, monogamous relationship with ME. Hopefully he has picked up some useful skills along the way ;-)

Even though I meet your criteria of not being a slut, there is no way I would date someone who has such a blatant double standard.
 browneyesseeking

Upgrade or Not
Posted: 12/20/2014 7:21:11 PM
Don't do it.

People will message you (or respond to messages from you) based on your profile, your photos and the messages you send to them. Does having a paid membership improve the quality of any of those things?? Nope.
 browneyesseeking
Msg: 42 (view)

giving address
Posted: 12/17/2014 9:40:40 AM
I am sorry that this happened to you. You are not the first and you won't be the last. The same thing happened to me, but I was lucky enough to discover his deception after 4 months.

It sucks, it really does. Chin up, and carry on. We only have control over our own actions and choices, not those of others.

Merry Christmas and best wishes to you!!
 browneyesseeking
Msg: 27 (view)

dating only one person at a time.
Posted: 11/30/2014 11:19:35 PM
If I were to meet someone that I really liked, I would not continue to date others. That is me. My feelings are that I need to have the "talk" before becoming intimate with someone; I would not feel comfortable sleeping with someone who was also sleeping with someone else at the same time. This is to protect my health (in addition to using birth control). This is not negotiable in my case.

You could tell her that you are enjoying your time together and that you have chosen to hide your profile and not date anybody else while you get to know each other. Then wait, and see what she says. When it/ if intimacy becomes a factor, you can clarify what your expectations are (i.e. not sleeping with anyone else etc). She may or may not agree, and you need to be prepared.
 browneyesseeking

Here's a suggestion for the dating site (not for the forum)
Posted: 11/30/2014 11:06:13 AM
1. Meet Me
2. Flirt option (for women only)
3. Add to Favourites

There are 3 ways women can indicate interest without having to compose a message.
 browneyesseeking

My Profile
Posted: 11/29/2014 9:57:40 PM
You need to get back on the elevator and go up a few floors to "Profile Reviews"
 browneyesseeking

dating only one person at a time.
Posted: 11/28/2014 10:06:16 PM
If you have had 2 dates and are feeling good about how things are going, I would take a break from dating any one else. That's what I would do. If it doesn't work out, you can come back online.

Don't expect that the person you are dating will also stop dating others, unless you have had a clear conversation about not dating anyone else.
 browneyesseeking
Msg: 13 (view)

A what point should you get off POF?
Posted: 11/26/2014 4:47:46 PM
Supersoulson,

Wow, you have just told every woman who frequents the forums not to date you. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of being on here?? LOL ;-)
 browneyesseeking
Msg: 12 (view)

Bad grammar turn you on?
Posted: 11/24/2014 3:41:24 PM
Hey Dan, you have to let me know what is wrong with her grammar. Would you show me the grammatically correct version??? Otherwise it is going to drive me crazy!! My French is quite rusty now unfortunately...

By the way, for me poor grammar is a huge turn off!!!!
 browneyesseeking
Msg: 5 (view)

Girls on here that have boyfriends
Posted: 11/24/2014 11:53:39 AM
I am sorry this happened to you. It is not gender specific. Something similar happened to me too, expect I found out on my own after 4 months. We had even had the exclusive talk, yet the whole time he was dating and sleeping with other people.

It sucks, really it does. Take some time to heal. There are all sorts on here. All you can do is be cautious and be a good person and you will eventually find a deserving person. Best of luck!
 browneyesseeking

Help
Posted: 11/19/2014 1:58:06 PM
Yes. They can still see your photos and your profile. Blocking only prevents them from sending you a message.
 browneyesseeking
Msg: 210 (view)

My ex is on POF!!!
Posted: 11/17/2014 9:52:12 PM
I have not read all of the responses, but...

You are not the first one to find an ex on here who is misrepresenting themself! I dated a man for a few months who currently has his profile up. I realized after 4 months that I was not the only person he was in an "exclusive" relationship with (yes we did talk about it!). 4 of us connected after I broke it off, and shared our stories. He was dishonest and cheated on all of us. I hate to think how many others there were.

Personally I am choosing to not get involved. I have moved on and prefer to not have any contact with him or anyone who may be in his life.
 browneyesseeking
Msg: 6 (view)

First Date in Vancouver
Posted: 11/11/2014 9:53:52 PM
First off, I am impressed that you even managed to get someone to agree to go out with you, based on your current profile.. no photos, no text...

My opinion is that the location of the first date is not nearly as important as the company. Heck, you can have a good time (or a not so good time) anywhere! A walk along the beach, first stopping to pick up a coffee/ hot chocolate? A walk through Gastown...

Choose somewhere you can talk. No movie theatres or loud venues. Also be cognizant that you are a stranger to this woman, and suggest a very public place if you will be going for a walk.
 browneyesseeking

Asking for proof of vasectomy
Posted: 9/30/2014 10:51:28 PM
In my case, if I trust a man enough to be sleeping with him, and having sex without a condom, I would also trust him when he tells me he has had a vasectomy.

Pregnancy is only one of the many concerns to having sex without a condom; I would also be worried about any one of the many STD's which can be contracted.
 Browneyesseeking

Too Fancy for Coffee?
Posted: 9/16/2014 8:15:49 PM
What you described sounds just fine for a coffee date, especially if you are coming from work. When meeting for a coffee date after work, I presume that a man is going to be wearing what he wore to work that day. You can always take off the blazer when you get there to look a little more casual. As VK has indicated, your outfit is way more appropriate than a tacky, dirty shirt.
 browneyesseeking

Why do women think its ok to..
Posted: 9/14/2014 1:25:33 AM
Men do the same! I even imposed a 50 character minimum initial message on my profile. Unfortunately I still get messages with no substance, but now they look like this:
hi......................................................................

instead of hi.

An initial message should not be long, a couple of sentences is enough. I have received really wonderful detailed messages from men who I am not interested in, and I feel bad that they have spent the time to compose such a thoughtful message. I have learned from my own experience too that it sucks to put a lot of time into a message only to have it ignored.

Messages need to be long enough to show that you have put some effort into them, but not so long that you are annoyed/ hurt when they are not responded to. Make sense??

Once you have established that there is mutual interest in holding a conversation, your messages can be longer and more personal.
 browneyesseeking
Msg: 44 (view)

Who should send the first note after a first meeting?
Posted: 8/26/2014 9:13:04 PM
DIR44a,

It sounds like you handled the situation with class, and although the "lady" showed bad manners, you responded to the situation in a very appropriate way. As I often say to the people in my life "We only have control over our own actions, not over anyone else's". You chose to act like a gentleman, and that will pay off for you in the end.
 browneyesseeking

Girls like me for my money
Posted: 8/23/2014 8:29:30 PM
Easy problem to solve. Do not show women your property until you have been dating long enough to know if she likes you for you. Anyone I have dated has not seen/ been to my house for at least a few dates. Keep dates low key, no need to flaunt your wealth by going to expensive restaurants. Nothing wrong with meeting for coffee or a walk on the beach. There is absolutely no need for your family's money to come up as a topic of conversation in the first few dates.
 browneyesseeking

No Responses Please Help.
Posted: 8/21/2014 7:07:36 PM
I'll quickly respond, even though you have posted this question on the wrong "floor".

Your pictures look fine, but you need a full body shot. You need to include a body type. "Undisclosed" and we assume you are obese.

You need to correct your spelling and grammar!!!

Longest relationship? 1 year? A bit of a turn off, but you can't do much about that. Perhaps you have been busy focussing on your career, building houses in Africa? Working something subtle into your profile might help with this. i.e. I've spent my 20's and early 30's developing my book of business, but am now ready to meet a special someone.
 browneyesseeking

Boyfriend has a close female friend I have never met
Posted: 8/17/2014 1:49:04 PM
I have remained friends with a man that I dated after my separation. He was the first man that I dated after a 20 plus year relationship with my ex husband. We only dated for about 4 months; he broke it off. We supported each other through some challenging times we were both going through and forged a strong bond.

I only see/ talk to him once every couple of months. I have never met his now girlfriend of 2 years, but we both know about each other. If she were to want to talk to me, I would be totally open to it, as I have nothing to hide. I really do believe that men and women can have platonic relationships, but her unwillingness to talk to you would make me suspicious too... In my case I don't think it would be my right to expect a man that I was dating to give up a friend. What I would expect however would be transparency and honesty.
 Browneyesseeking

Married man posing as divorced man....
Posted: 8/4/2014 4:45:37 PM
Sorry this has happened to you <3

The longer you are on POF or any other dating site, the more you will find this. Men and women both are dishonest about their relationship status, age, weight and post old photos which no longer accurately reflect their appearance. It sucks for sure!

I too have experienced this and it really hurt. All you can do is learn to screen better. Married people seem to prefer texting over phoning, will only give out a cell number and not a landline, are generally very limited in time to see you, will not introduce you to friends or family....

If you feel so compiled, there are websites specifically designed to out such people.

As long as you did not know he was married, you have done nothing wrong. He did. period.

In my situation, 4 of us who were duped by the same guy, over the same period of time, managed to connect and share our stories. It really helped with the healing process.
 browneyesseeking
Msg: 87 (view)

Do women get bothered when you approach them in public?
Posted: 8/1/2014 2:29:31 PM
Admittedly I have not read through all of the responses so what I have to say might be a repeat...

As long as you are respectful when you approach a woman (whether in public or otherwise), I think it is okay. Avoid complimenting a woman's appearance until you have built a rapport. Complimenting a tattoo would be okay for example but mentioning that she has a great butt, not so good :-)

Also be aware of who she is with. I would feel a bit awkward if my children were with me, but more comfortable if I was alone.

Striking up a conversation about the products in the store would be a less threatening way to try to gauge if there was any interest. Provide her verbal, and physical space, to leave the conversation if she wants to. If she continues to respond to you and furthers the conversation by asking her own questions she is likely interested in continuing the conversation.

I once had someone ask me out at work, in front of my colleagues, and it was rather embarrassing...

Something else to think about... if you are really interested in someone, and it is unlikely that you will run into them again (i.e. this is the first time you have ever seen them and you have been shopping in the same grocery store for years.... I would suggest you take the chance, as you may never have it again.

Good luck!
 browneyesseeking

pics
Posted: 7/29/2014 8:10:23 PM
Men cannot attach photos at all, whether they are public or not. Apparently some men were sending inappropriate photos with their messages, thus this option has been removed for men.
 browneyesseeking

What is wrong with my profile? Please help...
Posted: 7/29/2014 12:48:15 PM
I didn't even make it to your profile write up...

What's with the hair swoop? Your hairstyle in the other photos is much more attractive. The hair swoop photos alone would make me lose interest. Sorry, but you have asked for feedback.

Good luck to you!
 browneyesseeking
Msg: 32 (view)

single and over 30 do people still go for looks
Posted: 7/24/2014 7:40:05 PM
Just because someone is over 30 doesn't mean that we are desperate. Generally people ore attracted to others they find physically attractive. Having said that, what one person finds attractive, another might not. I have looked at men's profiles with my best friend, and she and I differ greatly on what we each find attractive.

Personality and compatibility are also extremely important. The OP is correct in that looks do fade, but they are what initially draw us to another person. Even if I find someone extremely attractive, their personality (or lack thereof) can easily be a deal-breaker.

Ultimately, my hope is to find someone that *I* find attractive, has a killer personality, and has a compatible lifestyle and goals.
 browneyesseeking
Msg: 4 (view)

What to expect from brief meet/date in the morning?
Posted: 7/20/2014 8:02:03 AM
Excellent answer above me :-)
Sounds like the perfect setting for a first date!
 browneyesseeking
Msg: 52 (view)

funny profile pics, screen names
Posted: 6/22/2014 10:30:03 PM
Okay two funny profile names I have seen recently:

Juanhunglo
Caverta (this is the generic brand of Viagra)

I really don't need to know about the state of a man's testicles nor do I need to know by his profile name that he is on viagra... hehehe

Funny headliner: " I am really regular". Lucky him!! hehehehehe!

Show ALL Forums