Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: The Best BBQ Pork Baby Back Ribs EVER...
 nycrickette
Msg: 7 (view)

The Best BBQ Pork Baby Back Ribs EVER...
Posted: 7/3/2009 1:53:15 PM
I haven't posted here in a looong time, but came back to read forums.

My absolute favorite rib recipe for bbq sauce involves a can or three of coke, depending on how many ribs, bottle of ketchup, two packages of dry onion soup mix, brown sugar, and vinegar. I rarely measure anything except for baking, so you decide what works for you, but don't be stingy with the brown sugar. If you like a little heat, you can add spices you like. It does not need salt, IMO. Lots of salt in the onion soup mix and the ketchup. BTW, doesn't Coke have sodium in it?

I slow roast in an open roaster on low for a couple of hours, or more as desired, (some like it falling off the bone, some don't), but throw it on foil on the grill to keep the meat or bones from dripping. Grill at a high temp until the sauce is browning or crisping.

I'm in the club that hates dried out meat on the grill. I want tender and juicy, and yes, falling off the bone. Mmmmmm.
 nycrickette
Msg: 18 (view)

I know you think I do, but I really don't.................
Posted: 4/20/2009 11:57:25 AM
My mother changes her fruitcake up by turning it into cookies. I don't know her recipe, but they're light and delicious.

On the other hand, I'm not big on sweets, and she works for months baking various types of cookies to make cookie trays to give out to everyone for Christmas. I tell her all the time, they go to waste at my house, neither my daughter nor I eat them. Here it is April and I still have her Christmas cookies floating around. I know I should have taken them to work right in the beginning, but there is a woman there with head injury trauma who eats everything in sight and doesn't realize it, and taking food to work to share is a definite no no.

Many many years ago, my ex MIL got it in her head somehow that I liked lavender and unicorns. Over the 8 years I was married to her son, I got everything lavender ever published in an LLBean catalog and unicorn figurines were everywhere! (I HATE knickknacks). I told her over and over but I don't think she wanted to know what I did like.

My mother is 70, and I know that one day I will miss her Christmas cookies, and her love, and her need to share something she loves to do.
 nycrickette
Msg: 12 (view)

After 16 years, my ex husband is back in my life, help...lol
Posted: 1/20/2009 3:53:53 PM
I had a daughter with my ex as well, and other than paying court ordered support, he had nothing to do with her, from the moment of conception. When she was about 5,
he dropped back into our lives with all the right answers, and even proposed to me on Christmas that year. I desperately wanted him in her life even though I was unsure, and agreed, but broke the engagement and relationship a few months later. Just couldn't feel the same about a man who had ignored his daughter for five years.

He promised that even though we were split, he wanted to keep up a relationship with her; he said he was glad he had formed a relationship with her and wouldn't let that go even though we were no longer together.

It's been 6 years now, and he doesn't see her at all. She turned 12 last week, and as usual, no phone call, no card, no nothing. Never has been. My feeling is that he wanted to have help with his finances, get out from under the child support, and someone to share his bills.

I'm glad I got that feeling about him. He wouldn't change. No matter how much I wished he could.
 nycrickette
Msg: 35 (view)

stopped by the cops
Posted: 12/26/2008 1:20:09 AM
short and sweet, I hope.

Moved back home to small town NY in '96. Worked in a factory second shift, so I was getting out of work at 11 in a small town, and was driving the car I bought when I was living in VA, a white '72 Dodge Charger, sweet car, but not a rod by any means. Stock 318. I was stopped probably 10 times in two years, with no probable cause, and with only 10 cop cars in the little burg, they all knew me at some point, but kept stopping me. Always legal, always sober, always just getting out of work and headed home. In those 10 times stopped, I was never ticketed. I suppose a '72 Charger at 11 at night just looks like trouble, no matter how many times you've stopped it.

Also, when I was living in VA, I was in a road band and during a very busy period when we were constantly booked, I put my stuff all in storage and used a PO box, because I was always in a hotel room, and couldn't see the point of paying rent when I was never there. I got pulled over on a routine check, and was doing nothing wrong, was ID'd and charged with VAGRANCY, because I only had a PO box for an address.

These days I drive an old Taurus...nobody ever bothers me in my granny mobile, but man do I miss my Charger. And my vagrant wayfaring days.
 nycrickette
Msg: 32 (view)

What do you do to your hotdog?
Posted: 12/25/2008 11:53:21 PM
Zweigle's pop open white hots, with almost anything on them, or bare naked. Love chili dogs, with grated cheddar, or saurkraut and mustard.

Snyder's used to put out a chip called Coney Island hot dog, and it really did taste like a hot dog with ketchup and mustard, though I would rather have the actual hot dog.

I always grab for the most charred dog, and boy, I love a toasted bun. Looks like we're frying up some dogs for dinner tonight.

My aunt always bought those fakey looking red colored hot dogs, and boiled them. Blech, they tasted like hot dog water. Who does this? Blasphemy, I say. Might just as well boil a slice of bologna and throw it 'tween slices of white bread.

Oh well.

Here's to a great dog with your favorite fixin's.
 nycrickette
Msg: 47 (view)

Dinner Meeting - My Turn
Posted: 12/25/2008 11:22:04 PM
What's a girl gotta do to get invited to this shindig?

How about sopapillas? Either traditional with cinnamon and honey, or your poached pears, or drizzled with a berry glaze...so many ideas come to mind because these are so versatile and light. My mind is running away with the possibilities, mascarpone, blackberries, red raspberries, custard sauce, pineapple sauce, almost any drizzle imaginable.
 nycrickette
Msg: 4 (view)

Lost loves....the one that got away.
Posted: 12/23/2008 6:28:53 PM
I was in a road band. He was a few years older. He asked me to spend some time with him at his place. It turned out he was the son of a greek shipping magnate, they owned a race car, (nascar). His place was their southern outlet, with several homes on a man made private lake, and his "job" was to maintain the property.

He was extremely cute, but I was newly divorced and in a road band, and enjoying my freedom. I had someone I was seeing besides him, with no plans, but at that time, I was afraid of plans. I wish now that I had known better.

I wish he had been there when I had a better head on my shoulders.

Nick, I'm so sorry. you even introduced me to your mother when she was staying in one of the houses. You were upset with me, because I went to Orlando with the other person I was seeing, but I didn't know you wanted to go with me.

Things could have turned out so differently, had I known how you felt. But at a time when I wasn't ready, there you were. I just look at it now, so many years later, as a beautiful memory. I wish now that I had been ready to take you seriously.
 nycrickette
Msg: 173 (view)

What can i do with Bacon fat?
Posted: 12/23/2008 6:00:53 PM
I stopped reading at page four. I love bacon and use bacon fat, and my cholesterol is low, but like everything else, in moderation.

I don't fry potatoes in it, since we eat fried potatoes often, so I prefer EVOO, and I don't cook often in it, but I do save it for biscuits, and for spinach salad. Warm the bacon fat, add lemon juice and roasted garlic, and egg yolks. Salmonella is uncommon these days, seriously, but you will heat the fat, lemon juice, garlic and egg yolks anyway, and throw this mix onto a spinach salad...fresh baby spinach, chopped boiled eggs, crumbled bacon, fresh mushrooms, so yummy. I am so wanting this now.
 nycrickette
Msg: 30 (view)

My Dog Will Have to Approve Of You
Posted: 11/18/2008 5:27:15 PM
At the moment I'm not a dog owner, though I have had dogs in the past who seemed "in tune" to personalities, but that could have easily been my own vibe about people being passed onto them, and I think some dogs read those "vibes" while some just never noticed.

My cat has always been around mostly my daughter and myself, and she just prefers women. Simple. The most recent fella in my life is a cat person, unlike anyone else since we acquired her, and she tolerates him. She lets him pet her without hissing, though the only real affection she has ever shown to anyone has been toward myself or my daughter. It's just her cat ways, to be picky. I can't see any of this to be reason for her to choose people for me. If it were, I'd NEVER be able to date.

I just hope I never have to post an ad anywhere for "Cat free, or hubby. Hubby says it's him or the cat. Cat is housebroken and eats whatever is in front of it. Hubby misses the toilet a lot and complains of some foods in front of him. Cat never brings home unwanted friends, hubby does. Cat doesn't leave toilet seat up, leave beer cans or socks in odd places, nor asks where anything he owns might be, he just knows. Hubby, another story.

On second thought, free hubby. I'll keep the cat."
 nycrickette

Dinner Meeting - My Turn
Posted: 11/17/2008 5:18:38 PM
oh corn fritters, very yummy, but they are best served hot, and being the hostess will keep you busy. Beef consume also a great idea, but how about french onion soup, the real deal, in a bread bowl? I would so love this. Also rather time consuming as far as presenting at the exact moment, but smiling, you know your stuff, there is no doubt you could pull it off.
 nycrickette

Dinner Meeting - My Turn
Posted: 11/17/2008 4:26:03 PM
maybe an antipasto course, all veggies and dips and pickles and olives, and my bf's fave, stuffed marinated peppers. I know you don't want to do dips, but there are other choices. He stuffs little red pickled peppers with mozzerella balls, and they're so yummy. Another idea is hot pepper jelly with crackers and cream cheese. Friends of mine made hot pepper jelly from their garden, and it was wonderful. Oh gosh, with crackers and cream cheese, it was tdf. Also love the bread bowl dip, but I've made it with a crabmeat spread and seasoned it for the crab and it was a hit.
 nycrickette
Msg: 17 (view)

More Authentic Thanksgiving
Posted: 11/17/2008 3:59:17 PM
Hi, Smiling, thank you for your reply.

I didn't think stuffed animals were used at that first Thanksgiving, but was wondering if you knew more about it.

Indian Pudding sounds a lot like some of the recipes I've found for polenta, a versatile corn meal mush. I made some last year for my daughter's class when she had to bring in some sort of corn dish. I chose to cook up a batch of polenta, and seasoned it to the salty side with chicken stock as the liquid, cooled it then fried it in slices, french fried potato style. It was a huge hit.

Do you think their corn meal mush was used like polenta? Is it pretty much the same thing?

I don't think my family would embrace a more traditional Thanksgiving, though we do all enjoy venison but would surely miss that wonderful roasted turkey. Makes the men loosen their belts and take naps, lol.

BTW, I prefer sweet potato pie to pumpkin, and although I understand there were no pies at the first Thanksgiving, who can resist a slice of warm apple with a slice of cheddar, or pumpkin pie with whipped cream? (Honestly, I can, I prefer the other dishes to the pies, but my mother really looks forward to the pies).

Cricket
 nycrickette
Msg: 8 (view)

Different and Interesting Pumpkin Pie
Posted: 11/16/2008 9:22:39 AM
I found a recipe on a box of something or other last year and tried it. It was a pumpkin pie with pecan pie topping. It was really to die for, but I can't remember where I found it. I'm lost trying to think of where it was. Had to be a box of something with other recipes, that I needed for pumpkin pie.

Oh, geez, way to be general.

Here's what I found, it sounds similar.

A classic pumpkin pecan pie recipe.
Ingredients:
3 eggs, divided
1 cup canned solid pack pumpkin
1 cup sugar, divided
1/2 ts ground cinnamon
1/4 ts ground ginger
1/8 ts ground cloves
2/3 cup karo light or dark syrup
2 tb butter, melted
1 ts vanilla
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1 prepared deep dish pie crust*
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350.
*If using a frozen pie crust, do not thaw; preheat a baking sheet in the oven and place the pie on the cookie sheet to bake.

In small bowl, combine one egg, pumpkin, 1/3 cup sugar, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Spread in pie crust.

In medium bowl, beat remaining two eggs, slightly. Stir in corn syrup and remaining 2/3 cup sugar, the butter and vanilla; stir until well blended. Stir in pecans. Carefully spoon over pumpkin mixture.

Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until filling is set around edge. Cool pie completely on wire rack.
 nycrickette
Msg: 27 (view)

The Perfect Old World Dessert
Posted: 11/16/2008 8:51:44 AM
It sounds like you had a wonderful time and your addition to the meal was well planned. MMMMMM so yummy.

I love to make a deep dish apple pie, it has no top crust but instead a crumble, and drizzled with a glaze, almost too pretty to cut.

I have made sweet potato pie on several occasions, and I was even asked to bake one for money. Some people have never had it, and it so much better than traditional pumpkin pie.

Does anyone have a recipe for old fashioned bread pudding? Steamed, with a molasses sauce? I remember my mother's was very dark, and had raisins, and the sauce was gooey and the whole hot mess was really delicious.

I have also made shoo-fly pie, and it was too sweet for my taste, but I'm not a dessert person. Guests were curious and loved it, and it went first, before the fruit pies.
 nycrickette
Msg: 14 (view)

More Authentic Thanksgiving
Posted: 11/16/2008 8:06:54 AM
I had to do a search on Indian pudding, because I wasn't sure what was in it.

We always have corn pudding on Thanksgiving, though I know of course it wasn't on the menu, and the Indian pudding makes more sense since cornmeal would have been available, but not our idea of what corn is today. Early "feed" corn is not as tough as you might think and is not too far off from our sweet corn, but at the time of year when they feasted it wouldn't have been available in any other form than for cornmeal.

Years ago I had the hankerin' to cook a goose, and it was delish. We also have hunters in the family, and the wild turkey that has graced our table now and then has been excellent. I prefer it to domestic.

Smiling, did they have other shellfish besides lobster on the menu? Shrimp, scallops, clams, oysters? Where did oyster stuffing come from I wonder? Or turducken? My understanding is that small game birds like squab, quail and ptarmigan were stuffed into larger birds. Any ideas?
 nycrickette
Msg: 2 (view)

Your male/female counterpart, have you dated or been involved with one?
Posted: 10/20/2008 4:22:03 PM
I may have to a point, but not totally.

Remember the Seinfeld episode where Jerry thought it was so cool to be dating someone who was his counterpart, only to realize that he annoyed himself? That's what it would be like.

Personally, these days I prefer someone who has a better outlook on life and lifts me up to his level, of tolerance, acceptance, morals and standards. That he's not like me is a good thing.
 nycrickette
Msg: 3 (view)

yummy yummy yummy I got love in my tummy
Posted: 10/13/2008 3:32:36 PM
I'm with ya, vb, I LOVE to cook for friends. I had an ex bf who was a softball player, and he would have the guys over for a cookout, I always went out of my way prepping mac salads, tater salads, all the extras.

At work now, I'll be in the mood to make a batch of chowder and have to bring it in since I always cook these things for a crowd, I can't help it. Anything that takes time to make, it takes the same amount of time for big batches. I only have the normal freezer space, and potatoes don't freeze well, so off to work it goes.
 nycrickette
Msg: 27 (view)

Scottish recipes .
Posted: 10/13/2008 3:21:16 PM
Bubble and Squeak

Any leftover roast dish with veggies, chopped and fried leftovers. Hash, if you will, but I think it particularly was referring to anything with cabbage, since it does squeak a bit when fried. We had a New England Boiled dinner yesterday, ( and why is it called that?) Tonight it's our version of Bubble and Squeak, from leftovers of corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, onions, and carrots all done together in a boil, with pickling spices and bay leaf. OOhh it smells so good.
 nycrickette
Msg: 1 (view)

yummy yummy yummy I got love in my tummy
Posted: 10/13/2008 2:57:01 PM
Not just comfort foods, what food spells L*O*V*E to YOU? I know that when a man creates a meal for me that he loves making, I'll love it, too.

For me, when I make Pasta e Fagioli, it's a labor of love, because of the time intensive process. I make my own chicken stock for this because I use chicken in the dish, too. There are so many components to this soup/dish, it's a long time peeling and chopping, and there are a lot of ingredients to my recipe, and all have some prep to them, from the black pepper bacon to the roasted garlic.

So what food is LOVE to you?
 nycrickette
Msg: 23 (view)

What is your favorite comfort food?
Posted: 10/6/2008 5:35:38 PM
calves' liver fried in bacon and onions, with mashed potatoes and creamed corn or corn pudding.

Potato, bacon, corn, cheddar cheese chowder. Artery clogging...yep.

Pasta e Fagioli

Eggplant parm

Fried green tomatoes

A big bowl of Frosted Flakes or Cap't Crunch

Thankfully, I don't eat this way normally.

On a more calorie conscious note, steamed asparagus with poached eggs on toasted whole wheat English muffins, no Hollandaise or butter needed.
 nycrickette

Sexy ''Seductive & Romantic Meal
Posted: 10/6/2008 5:11:58 PM
Everybody's right here, we all have our own ideas of a "sexy" meal. I think if I prepare something that seems sexy to me, it will be for him, too, because I send off the vibes. I like to have classic rock and roll in the background.

For me, I'm with the ones who suggested shellfish. Finger foods are meant to be fed to each other. A beautiful platter of cold cooked jumbo shrimp,****ail sauce, a variety of good cheeses, nice crackers, fresh fruit slices, strawberries, pineapple, grapes, they all go well with a sweet champagne or asti. Fresh croissants with a crab dip. Little bites are wonderful. Eat these fingerlicious foods in bed. It's a beautiful thing. Personally, I prefer a lighter meal before a "romp". Dessert is good later.

Otherwise, cook together like another poster said, there is nothing that brings you together more than cooking together and sharing hugs and kisses during the process. It's nice to feel appreciated for your cooking efforts, but even nicer to share them
 nycrickette
Msg: 45 (view)

Testing
Posted: 10/6/2008 4:39:28 PM
Hey, Dan?

I think your starcraft is calling.

I just love when people mix up well known terms, there's a name for that, but for the life of me I can't remember it.

But he says he doesn't want to be taken for "granite". I can't imagine that ever happening.

nycrickette
Msg: 17 (view)

Burn baby, burn! Would you torch a lover's things?
Posted: 10/1/2008 5:24:29 PM
An ex bf and I were living together. Something tipped me off to his still seeing his ex gf, and the hunch was correct. In his closet, not well concealed, was a box with her love letters from the past and present, and a red negligee. He went out of town one weekend when I suspected he was going to see her, I burned the red negligee in the back yard. It would never change anything, but it was the first step in leaving him. I didn't do a thing to his letters, but I still felt better.

He began questioning me about his things, but I never let on. I had run across a bin of old letters from his ex wife and con-current lovers while he was in 'nam, and though I got a glimpse of what a player he was, those were off limits in my mind, because those were before me. I know it was childish of me over a negligee, but the betrayal I felt was overwhelming.

Fast forward to my current relationship. He's a widower, short term, and on the two year anniversary of her passing, he is taking my daughter, his son, and myself on a dinner cruise. He does not want to be alone. His home is still filled with family photos of them together. I was there alone when the phone rang one day and the answering machine picked up, and the voice was hers. I cried for him...it wasn't that he couldn't let go, he just didn't want to forget. I probably wouldn't want to erase her voice, either if it were me. I asked him about it, because we have a great communication, and his answer was more that he didn't get to things quickly, and his daughter was supposed to change the message but never got around to it. He wanted to be able to save it but not use it as his greeting.

I would never burn away her memories; I'll create new ones, and if we stay together, perhaps pictures of us together will sit beside the old ones until eventually there are enough of them that he can feel he can put the others away. I hope he keeps them. It's an asset to find a man who loves so deeply, and cares so much.
 nycrickette
Msg: 10 (view)

EZ Perfect BBQ Ribs, falling off the bone!!
Posted: 10/1/2008 3:34:21 PM
I've been using coke on my ribs for years, but I mix the coke with the home version of bbq sauce...ketchup, worcestershire, two packets lipton onion soup mix, garlic powder, brown sugar, and apple cider vinegar. I cover the ribs in a roaster with the mix and bake it slow, 300 degrees for at least two to three hours, covered, turning the ribs occasionally and basting with the thickening sauce at the bottom or the roaster. You can just finish them in the roasting pan uncovered if you want, or put them on the grill if you want that grilled taste, but by then, they need foil under them because they will be falling apart. Sometimes I'll roast whole garlic cloves with them, and mash them into the sauce as they soften.

My ex bf was a huge fan of over cooked, very dry grilled meat, so he hated these, but I learned this recipe while living in the south, where they KNOW bbq, and I loved these, as did my friends.

I have problems digesting tougher meats, and chicken is really difficult for me. I love the whole chicken on the beer can method of grilling, but you can substitute a can of coke with great results.

~crickette~
 nycrickette
Msg: 2 (view)

no idea where to post this
Posted: 9/27/2008 8:02:56 AM
Thanks, Hank.

We were also given Monarch caterpillars by a family that was going away on vacation. They couldn't just leave them. There were two jars, one with several caterpillars and fresh milkweed; the other had two chrysalises hanging from the wire across the top of the jar.

We left them on display, I knew where to get fresh milkweed daily close by. One of our summer school age students, (who has Aspberger's Syndrome btw), didn't understand the "hands off" direction, and in trying to see what was going on in the jars, shook both of them, rather rigorously. All of the caterpillars in the first jar died rather quickly, and both of the chrysalis in the other jar fell to the bottom.

With needle and thread, I carefully reattached the chrysalis to the screen top. They both had enough silk at the top of the stem to do this. Within a week they both were clear and showing the dark pattern of the wings. One emerged on a Friday afternoon, so I brought it home to wait for it to finish pumping it's wings out and let it go. Unfortunately, it never had the strength to hang on upside down. We would keep taking it from the bottom of the jar, ever so gingerly, and help it find a grasp at the screen. Two days later, it still couldn't hang on and we were leaving soft sweet fruit pieces at the bottom for feeding, (sugar plums).

It never fed, never unfurled it's tongue, and never got to pump it's wings out, they stayed a wrinkled mess. I couldn't let it go, it couldn't fly, barely walked, it didn't die, but I couldn't see how it could possibly survive. I finally flushed the poor thing. My daughter (11) was better with that than watching it suffer. I thought.

The second butterfly emerged on the following Monday. It managed to hang on long enough to pump out it's wings. We took it outside and it had no desire to fly away. I placed it on a flower in the garden, where we were still able to see it outside a classroom window. But there the butterfly remained. Never flying. Three days later, I moved it to another garden on the other side of the playground where we wouldn't be watching and waiting. Another two days passed, and still, there it clung.

The next day was extremely windy, too windy to even go out to play. Sand pit, woodchips, stuff in the children's eyes kind of day. I knew the butterfly left in the garden would be gone, but I also knew it didn't fly away. Swept away.

I think a lot about our girl with Aspberger's. Not blaming, but comparing. This child IS one of those butterflies. Will she find the strength to fly away? Can she hold on? Will her wings be too crumpled to ever fly? I hope she is never flushed away, and that someone will understand, or have the compassion to understand what she needs.

And deal with it.

I only now, as I wrote this, understood the relativity.

I hope for her, someone will help her reattach. I hope she spreads her wings. And I hope...she flies.
 nycrickette
Msg: 23 (view)

Things I can cook with my slow cooker...
Posted: 9/27/2008 7:08:42 AM
I'm saving all these recipes, I love my crock pot. I've even taken to cooking my Thanksgiving turkey in my electric roaster instead of the oven, it's so tender.

Pineapple Chicken

whole cut up chicken, skin removed

Two cans pineapple, chunk or sliced

half cup teryaki sauce

2 large Red or green bell peppers, cut up (roasting them first adds a different flavor)

throw everything into the slow cooker, including the liquid from the pineapple. Cook on low 8 hours. The chicken should be falling off the bone. The juices are wonderful over rice. You can add anything else you like, mushrooms, onions, a little garlic, potatoes in the beginning if you want potatoes instead of rice...so easy.
 nycrickette

eating to wellness
Posted: 9/24/2008 6:39:29 AM
I quit coffee two years ago, and switched to green tea, both iced and hot. Everything is whole grain now, and I only fry in EVOO. Red meat is minimal, though I do splurge on good chopped sirloin when we want a burger. I'm not big on chicken, it doesn't set well with my stomach. I'll buy ground turkey sausage when a recipe calls for sausage. I love bacon, but I'm fine with the low fat turkey variety, same with keilbasa.

My 11 yo DD and I both love spinach and asparagus, kale, dark leafy greens. We don't have potatoes often but when we do, it's either baked, stuffed with brocolli, or smashed potatoes, skin on, with roasted garlic, fat free sour cream and low fat cheddar. I don't drink much milk, about a half cup a day, but I do keep skim milk in the house for her

Fat free vanilla yogurt mixed with fresh or frozen berries, topped with high fiber crunchy cereal, like grape nuts...yum.

One of our fave staple dinners is a toasted whole grain English muffin topped with a poached egg and steamed asparagus.

Oh, I shouldn't even being looking in the recipes forum! I have a procedure today that required clear liquids since yesterday, and that lovely gallon of Nulytely last night, and in an hour I'll be fasting for another two hours. Rats, why did I stop by?
 nycrickette
Msg: 77 (view)

He Won't Stop Calling...
Posted: 9/15/2008 5:50:33 PM
For the record, at the time of the incident, I was not nor ever dated the fella who was stalking. We were both on the board for a local Parents Without Partners organization. We had taken a trip as a group to the zoo, and roller skating, plus a few other group organized outings. He had come over to my place a couple of times to watch a movie. There were no affectionate gestures on my part.

One evening he called to ask if he could come over, and I said no. I had a date, but didn't tell him that. Weeks went by and he kept calling, but I was getting involved with someone. He called one evening to tell me he knew all about this guy I was seeing. It happened that he worked with my BIL, and he confessed to him that he had seen my friend's vehicle in the driveway, (and the stalker lived two towns away), and the vehicle was not locked, so he ransacked the glove compartment looking for info.

Two weeks later it was my birthday, which was when the fire happened. He had been seen by my BIL on numerous occasions, sitting in his car up the street from my house. The Police dept. and fire dept. were both called, and the BIL told them what he had been telling me. It happens, that at that time, I was living across the street from my sister and BIL.

The offender was asked to come in for questioning, and he refused, and there was never any follow up. I was told by the police dept. that in NY, a restraining order cannot be filed unless the perp is A) convicted of a crime against you B) the person is either an ex spouse, a current spouse, or the parent of your child C) persistent hang up calls are not considered harrassment. I was told that I should hope that the guy would find a new victim, because that's the only way that they will stop the stalker activity against you. Even with the evidence of inflammable material found on and near my truck, birthday candles melted to the apron, and the birthday card he had sent me, he was never charged nor even questioned.

Thank God NY has changed it's stalking laws since then, as this was about 8 years ago.

Hardin, they have psychiatrists that deal with narcissistic personality disorders; you should look into it. Women are not always protected as you claim.
 nycrickette

no idea where to post this
Posted: 9/7/2008 6:50:28 PM
We had snapping turtle eggs that our ground crew found in our pile of wood chips. They were manhandled, tossed and turned, and handed over to the pre-school classrooms. I looked them up, the expectation was grim, they're supposed to stay right side up and gently handled. I did get an aquarium, sand and wood chips, and a lamp, just to keep them visible for the children to see, and we kept the sand damp, as per the local expert suggested. The other classrooms that got eggs as well either left them out on a dish for exploration, or tossed them away when they tired of looking at them.

Last week I dug them out of the sand, to see if they were rotting. The first of five eggs had a crack and a tail sticking out of it. I pulled the shell away to find a fully developed snapper, very much alive. No larger than a half dollar coin, cute and very lively.

I was very busy with my school aged program, so I didn't get the chance to check the other eggs until later in the day. But three other eggs were hard to the touch, not like the hatched egg, but when I dug out the last, it was hatching. The three pre-school classrooms were invited to come and see the hatching. Amazing, two out of our five eggs hatched, without us really knowing what we were doing. We took the new babies, as a group, as close as we could to the creek. I knew if they had hatched in the wild, they would head for the nearest water source.

so cute, tiny little guys. Hope they made it.
 nycrickette
Msg: 50 (view)

He Won't Stop Calling...
Posted: 9/7/2008 5:11:38 PM
arrrgggg
long story short, guy was stalking, set my truck on fire, no kidding, dowsed it with gas and set lit candles on the hood.

Got a card with his kids' signatures, said we'll light a candle in your honor. Stalker much?
 nycrickette
Msg: 9 (view)

Endangered Foods
Posted: 9/7/2008 4:13:35 AM
What foods are endangered? I do love your wild animal recipes, but which are endangered? BTW I don't have access to muscovi duck...who does?
 nycrickette
Msg: 5 (view)

sammie special
Posted: 9/4/2008 6:41:34 PM
Chris, if you don't find any, let me know, I'll mail you some big fat green tomatoes. (the mail runs fast enough to keep them green, right?)
 nycrickette
Msg: 3 (view)

sammie special
Posted: 9/4/2008 6:22:45 PM
I'm lucky to have a fresh tomato source. Lots of these tomatoes never go "red". Love those greens, they make a great green tomato parmisian, too, it's a step above eggplant parm, in my book.

Ribs, though, yummy. Slow cooking? Smoking? S'all good.
 nycrickette

sammie special
Posted: 9/4/2008 5:27:51 PM
I went back to look for the favorite sammie thread and couldn't find it. I have a new one I have to share.

It's the season for tomatoes, and friend green tomatoes are a specialty, I just love 'em. I slice up the green tomatoes into 1/4 inch, dredge them in flour, then dip into an egg/milk wash, then into a cornmeal, flour, garlic salt, pepper dry coat. Fry them in evoo til browned on both sides.

Butter up one side of sourdough sliced bread, and set aside thin slices of Monterey Jack cheese. Heat up a skillet for grilled cheese sammies, place buttered side down of sourdough, thin slices of monterey jack, big fat fried green tomato, a little more cheese, and other buttered slice of sourdough. Grill like a normal grilled cheese.

Oh, my, I'm in heaven.
 nycrickette
Msg: 11 (view)

I always date the same man...
Posted: 9/4/2008 4:37:13 PM
good one, reason
 nycrickette

I always date the same man...
Posted: 9/4/2008 3:38:23 PM
I heard it once explained like this...

We are destined to repeat the same lesson over and over, even if it is walking toward us in a different pair of jeans, until we have learned that lesson.

In other words, yes we will keep repeating our mistakes, but no, we are not doomed. Learn from the lesson. That's why it's there.

~Crickette~
 nycrickette

WTF?! My friends never play MatchMaker!
Posted: 8/14/2008 4:44:52 AM
I had a friend in High School who wasn't so good at picking guys to date. Not that I was any better. She was cute, gregarious, and small, petite, short. I had a male friend I had known since childhood, and we had dated a few times, he was a great guy, but of smaller stature, and I felt like an Amazon next to him, (and when you're a teenager, things like that matter, though they don't now). I considered both of them good friends, and thought, why not?

I admit I played matchmaker. 25 years later, they're still married, have two wonderful grown children. From what I can see, they have always had a great relationship.

I had a friend who tried to hook me up with her hubby's uncle. She didn't actually know him, and they had a party on NY's Eve, invited us both. Disastrous. He was hideous, as in already drunk when I got there at 7pm, nearly toothless, bragging about how scrappy he was, always ready to fight. Long story short, they poured him into the hubby's truck and took him home. My friend has apologized every time I've seen her.
 nycrickette

Venison Pot Roast
Posted: 8/13/2008 5:48:40 PM
Oh me oh my, I love venison. I'm copying all of these recipes and hope someone will pass along venison in any form. I have more than one hunter in my past, on purpose, because I love venison. At the very least, my folks live in deer country and hunters use their property and as a thank you, they share their meat. My mother doesn't cook much venison so I usually get to take some.

In the grinding process, we usually ask the butcher to grind it with 1/3 part sweet sausage, or if we're grinding it ourselves, we add beef fat or suet. My fave recipe for ground venison is salisbury steaks, just use your favorite salisbury steak recipe and use ground venison.

If I have roasts, if they're thin, they are cooked slowly in stewed tomatoes and onions in the oven, if they're thick, to the meat slicer they go for the best venison jerky in the world. I got my dehydrator just for venison jerky. I wish I had a recipe to share, but it's all pinch and go, but it is a two day marinade.

Slice all of your roast for jerky, thicker takes longer in the dehydrator, so if you have different thicknesses you will need to check the meat in the dehydrator often, and remove what's done.

I use worchestershire, ground garlic, chipotle chiles, accent, (because it's a preservative), ground jalapeno, brown sugar, apple cidar vinegar, chili powder, onion powder, and a touch of liquid smoke, and a touch of tobasco. add more heat, as desired, it dissipates in the drying, salt does become more potent but it does help preserve, put the whole mess in an air tight container, you must taste the liquid mess to be sure it will have the heat you want and adjust. Of course it does become more potent in the drying process. I turn the whole mess around twice a day for two days, then layer it in the dehydrator. Then keep an eye on the dehydrator, and remove pieces as they become done, it can take two days depending on thickness and level, but you will take off levels as you go.

it's a messy process but so good.

Oops, I just gave away my secrets.
 nycrickette
Msg: 19 (view)

what would YOU make?
Posted: 8/8/2008 8:37:50 PM
I LOVE these ideas. Food is such an integral part of our heritage, creates memories, triggers emotions.

Keep 'em coming!
 nycrickette
Msg: 13 (view)

Great BBQ Ribs Recipe
Posted: 8/7/2008 5:04:42 PM
I don't have access to a grill, though I have, but I make do and it works out. I use my electric roaster for ribs. One bottle ketchup, one can of coke, two packets onion soup mix, half cup of brown sugar, one cup apple cidar vinegar, then spices to taste. salt, pepper, garlic, chipotle, whatever suits you. Marinate a few hours, changing the meat round in the mess, then cook on low in the electric roaster for two hours, then on high for two hours. Definitely falls off the bone. If you do want to grill, take them out of the roaster after the first two hours and grill them. The point is to slow cook them before grilling or turning up the heat. Matters not if they're babyback ribs or country style, they're all yummy.
The can of coke breaks down the meat to a wonderful tenderness.
 nycrickette
Msg: 8 (view)

what would YOU make?
Posted: 8/5/2008 6:11:57 PM
yum to the ideas, I am stocking as I'm thinking about the possiblilities.

I want to try this with the schoolagers I am with during the summer, and hopefully have an international luncheon at the end. I hope someone brings all that has been mentioned, as I said, I love all the international dishes.

Great ideas. YUM.
 nycrickette
Msg: 5 (view)

what would YOU make?
Posted: 8/5/2008 4:33:16 PM
Sorry, Gera, my Google search and other searches came up with it, and it sounded good with a great folklore behind it, so I ran with it. I kind of doubted a bunch of 2nd graders would try haggis.

In this hometown, 70% of all dishes were Italian, but not true Italian. 25% were Puerto Rican dishes, probably truer renditions, the rest were hodgepodge. Though we did have a family from Yugoslavia, and their cabbage rolls were awesome.

I love love love all of the unusual national dishes. We have peirogies often, though I don't go so far as to make them myself, but I plan to. We love peirogies with keilbasa and saurkraut, it's a staple dish.

My favorite dish to make is pasta e fagioli, and I make it NOTHING like the local Italians. They use elbow macaroni, any kind of beans, and ground beef! Well, I suppose it's at least true to translation, it's pasta and beans. But a travesty to the real thing.
 nycrickette

thoughts, please
Posted: 8/5/2008 4:07:50 PM
I couldn't pick a course, as this is a general question.

I have always harbored the thoughts of becoming a caterer, or opening a sports bar, but then remembered when I lived in Roanoke, VA, there was a very popular service there that we used frequently. A service that catered to the "order out" crowd, had all of the take out menus from most of the local restaurants that didn't deliver, and we could call them and order from one or more local places, and they would deliver from non-delivery establishments. The charge was only five bucks, but that was 15 years ago, and you were expected to tip the driver, who showed up in black pants, tux shirt and bow tie.

How lucrative does anyone think that might be now? In a large college city? I'm just putting feelers out there.

Thanks
 nycrickette
Msg: 13 (view)

sour cream uses
Posted: 8/4/2008 8:12:56 PM
great recipes everyone, I'm keeping them all. One day I'll sell a cookboo...umm, anyhoo...

Here is a hint for ya....turn the tub of opened sour cream over, lid intact. The sour cream inside seals the lid from getting any oxygen better than having it rightside up, and oxygen is the spoiling agent. You will get a week at least beyond the "use by" date or more. Same goes for yogurt, cottage cheese, or other "soft" dairy products.
 nycrickette

what would YOU make?
Posted: 8/4/2008 8:01:31 PM
A couple of years ago, my daughter's elementary school hosted a buffet. Not just any buffet, but an international buffet. All students in her grade were required to list their backgrounds, then choose one nationality to represent. They then had to learn about their country of origin, and recite a passage concerning what they had learned. They also had to choose a dish to pass that represented the country of origin that was chosen.

The dinner was a huge success.

My daughter is, as most children are nowadays, mixed decent. She is French, English, Scottish, but mostly American, and I say that proudly, as it is five generations, at least, since we can trace anyone coming over on a boat.

We chose to represent Scotland, since Scottish descent appears on both sides of my family.

Our dish to pass was "Toad in the Hole", but we did modify it to be a finger food. I love to pass this bit of folklore on....if you have a toad for breakfast, nothing else in your day can be worse. It involved a batter and sausage, and could be modified about a million ways.

What would you choose as a representation of your nationality?
 nycrickette

Anyone here wanting schoold to start TOMORROW!!!
Posted: 8/4/2008 7:14:51 PM
OH, no! Enjoy your time with them if you are lucky enough to have it. You won't realize how precious it is until they're gone to live their own lives. Before you know it, there won't be anywhere near enough time with them.
 nycrickette
Msg: 10 (view)

Text Messaging and Break Ups
Posted: 7/31/2008 4:19:07 PM
Yes! Liam's "Text Message Breakup" can be found on Youtube's search. I was thinking the same thing!

GMTA

~crickette~
 nycrickette
Msg: 21 (view)

Homemade iced tea.
Posted: 7/28/2008 5:11:58 PM
When I lived in Virginia, I learned to make sweet tea the way southerners did...like other posters said, tea bags, steeped in boiling water, add sugar while tea is hot, add cold water and refrigerate. I don't care for lemon in mine.

Lately I've fallen in love with green tea, and recently I bought an iced tea maker, and I love it. I've cut out most sugars, so I use Splenda or equal, added to the pitcher of ice. 7 green tea bags, 7 packets of sweetener. Between my daughter and I, we can go through a pitcher of iced green tea every two days, so I buy my green tea bags at Big Lots, 100 bags for $2.50, the brand is Prince of Peace premium green tea, and it really is a nice full bodied tea, even if it is an off-brand. The iced tea maker was worth every penny.
 nycrickette
Msg: 100 (view)

Comfort foods
Posted: 7/26/2008 11:54:12 AM
Oh, so many choices, so little time!

My own home-made:

potato/bacon/cheddar chowder
pasta e fagioli
stuffed shells
baked mac n cheese
chili
stuffed meatloaf
french onion soup
creamy hash browns
liver with bacon and onions, side of smashed potatoes and creamed corn
sweet potato pie
pork hocks simmered with long grain white rice and collard greens or dry landcress
strawberry-rhubarb pie with vanilla ice cream
ham-bean soup

uh-oh, I was about to go grocery shopping. Maybe I'd better wait a while.
 nycrickette
Msg: 82 (view)

new car vs old car
Posted: 7/21/2008 7:29:27 AM
All this talk of cars is making me miss my '72 Dodge Charger, but when I had my daughter in '97, it wasn't practical at all...kinda hard to get at the back seat to put her in her baby seat, so I had to do the right thing by that car and sold her to someone interested in total restoration, (the car, not the baby!)

I currently drive a '94 Taurus...it's no beauty but I keep it maintained, it still only has 87K on it and it's paid for. I admire nice vehicles but they're certainly not a deal breaker. Unless of course the payments keep you stressed over money.

Show ALL Forums