Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: NHL and the origional 6
 pickmynose
Msg: 3 (view)

NHL and the origional 6
Posted: 12/14/2010 5:03:26 PM
You're right it was Wales, why did they change from that format, I liked the divisions and the league was much better than it is today.
 pickmynose
Msg: 2 (view)

NHL and the origional 6
Posted: 12/12/2010 10:52:17 AM
Personally I liked the schedule the way it used to be without the East, West. It was better when they had the Two conferences (Campbells and Whales) and in the Campbells conf. the divisions were Smythe, Norris and ? and in the Whales there was Adams, Patrick etc. This way it didn't matter where you were in the country, you'd still play each other more often. You probably like it this way because Detroit and Toronto were in the same division and played more often.
 pickmynose
Msg: 1402 (view)

This Week In Baseball
Posted: 11/5/2010 9:30:20 AM
I was sad to see that Sparky Anderson died yesterday, he was one of the best managers in baseball and won championships in both leagues. I wasn't a fan of either the Reds or Tigers, but I had respect for him and he didn't take any crap from the umpires.
 pickmynose
Msg: 172 (view)

Problem With The Yankees?
Posted: 10/31/2010 1:02:17 PM
thanks I didn't realize that I had contradicted myself. I don't think the management of the Yankees is the problem because George was the GM in the 80's and had the highest payroll and still the Yankees sucked, it wasn't until the mid 90's that they started to be back in the elite part of the league that they were in the 70's. I do hope that MLB does use a salary cap so that all teams have a fair chance.
 pickmynose
Msg: 170 (view)

Posted: 10/28/2010 5:51:19 PM
The Yankees didn't have the highest payroll in the 80's and that's why they didn't win any world series in the 80's, I don't know where I "contradicted my own position" , but let's face it most seasons the team with the highest salary will win the world series, there are some exceptions, but very few.
 pickmynose
Msg: 165 (view)

Posted: 10/26/2010 10:32:34 AM
I'm not sure that you can blame George's sons for the Yankee's problems, they still made the playoffs, which is very hard in baseball. If you can remember George Steinbrenner was also the owner in the early 80's and they were the laughing stock of the American league East, Detroit, Baltimore and Toronto were the contenders, the Yankees had the highest payroll, but were the celler team. The 70's and late 90's they were the best team in baseball, but most of the 80's they sucked. In the off season as usual they'll go to the bank and probably will succeed again in BUYING another World Series.
 pickmynose
Msg: 1284 (view)

This Week In Baseball
Posted: 9/3/2010 1:14:02 PM
You asked what division the most easterly team should be in, the answer is obvious, there shouldn't be divisions. Because the American League East is so strong it ruins the wild card for the entire American League, let's face it the AL east 2nd place team is going to win the wild card. It makes no sense that a team is closer to winning their division than winning the wild card eg. Chicago WhiteSox are 4 games out of their division and 9 out of the wild card, how does that make sense??????? , and you say there isn't a problem.
 pickmynose
Msg: 1282 (view)

This Week In Baseball
Posted: 9/2/2010 1:40:51 AM
I do want to get rid of the divisions, I was only pointing out how the divisions aren't evenly matched by making you aware that the Red Sox potentially will miss the playoffs with a better record than the Twins and also miss the wild card. The National league's wild cards are all easier to get than their own division which is the way it should be, but the American league seems to be the same or harder which is why divisions are wrong and unfair.
 pickmynose
Msg: 1279 (view)

This Week In Baseball
Posted: 9/1/2010 8:37:09 AM
The Twins or WhiteSox both potentially and likely can make the playoffs with a WORSE record than the RedSox, this is what I find unfair. The RedSox even with all their injuries have a slim shot at their division (7 games out), but if they're in the central they're only 2 games out. To me it seems weird that Chicago is 4 games out of their division, but 9 out of the wild card, I thought the wild card was supposed to be a lower number than their own division, isn't it?
 pickmynose
Msg: 1277 (view)

This Week In Baseball
Posted: 8/31/2010 9:06:38 AM
It took 10 straight years of being the worst team in baseball to get all those 1st pick players and now they're in the elite class of teams. Go Rays! The American league East has too many good teams and makes it difficult to make the playoffs, if the Rays win the division the Yankees will likely win the wild card leaving good teams like Red Sox, White Sox, Twins and Blue Jays missing the playoffs. I think the divisions need to be eliminated and have the top 4 teams from each league make the playoffs. I still can't get over the 1987 Blue Jays, when they had the 2nd best record in MLB and missed the playoffs, since then they've added the wild card, but that hasn't helped since the East is packed with great teams. Why hasn't this issue been adressed by MLB.
 pickmynose
Msg: 1271 (view)

This Week In Baseball
Posted: 8/26/2010 12:55:44 PM
The rules of MLB need to change, at least when divisions are concerned. The divisions aren't evenly matched for example the WhiteSox are 3 1/2 games out in their division but 9 1/2 out of the wild card. I thought the wild card was supposed to be a lower number to allow for teams stuck in harder divisions a chance to make the playoffs, does this mean the central division sucks? the Blue Jays are 11 1/2 out in both 1st place and wild card. Is the American league cental too easy or is the East too hard? This isn't a 1 year fluke either, this seems to be happening every year and I can't understand why MLB hasn't tried to solve this problem. It seems teams in the East have very little chance to make the playoffs even when they have a good team.
 pickmynose
Msg: 14 (view)

If you're thirsty, isn't that your body's way of telling you it wants water?
Posted: 4/9/2010 5:42:45 PM
if you're thirsty all the time, it could be a sign of diabetes.
 pickmynose
Msg: 30 (view)

olympic hockey
Posted: 3/20/2010 11:40:53 AM
there's no need to get upset, I thought basketball was America's best international game, not baseball. In my opinion their basketball team is similar to Canada's hockey team (the rejects could easily compete well in the Olympics). Watch the Paralympics @300 USA is playing Japan for the gold in sledge hockey. This isn't as important (for lack of a better word) as the regular Olympics, but should be a good game.
 pickmynose
Msg: 52 (view)

Soccer/Football teams
Posted: 3/9/2010 5:07:20 PM
My soccer team is Toronto FC or Manchester United and my football team is Detroit Lions.
 pickmynose
Msg: 70 (view)

Congratulations to the US Olympic Hockey team on it's victory
Posted: 3/7/2010 11:59:53 AM
Personally I thought the Gold medal game was evenly played, either team could have won. The previous USA vs Canada game, Canada dominated and outplayed USA and only lost because Miller's great goaltending. I think that game woke the Americans up and they realised they have to play better and they did, and the gold medal game was a closer and more evenly played match because of this.
 pickmynose
Msg: 503 (view)

who is the number 1 sporting legend?
Posted: 3/2/2010 3:35:40 PM
NFL isn't a sport, it's a League and if you have to ask that, then your opinion is either uninformed or biased.
 pickmynose
Msg: 7683 (view)

Hockey anyone?
Posted: 2/5/2010 8:05:07 AM
I'm not an anti-Leaf fan if anything I like them, I was reading the Steve Simmon's column in the Toronto Sun and he pointed that out. The Toronto media seem to like to put a negative spin on everything, right now it's easy to do, but even when they're winning the media seem to say the Leafs didn't play well the other team beat themselves etc.
Calgary looked better yesterday, but I think Vancouver is the only Canadian team that has a chance to win the Cup this year.
 pickmynose
Msg: 7681 (view)

Hockey anyone?
Posted: 2/3/2010 2:57:21 PM
the Oilers have sucked this year, but they are undefeated in February. Is it any wonder that the worst 3 teams in the league are the Leafs, Oilers and Hurricanes and the Oilers and 'Canes have ex Leaf coaches? After the blockbuster deals the Leafs do look better, but I think it will be a few years before the Stanley Cup parade is in Toronto.
 pickmynose
Msg: 20 (view)

Montreal Canadiens fans page
Posted: 1/13/2010 5:37:21 AM
The Air Canada Centre isn't a place to watch hockey. Although Leaf fans are one of the best fans in hockey, most of the true fans can't get to the games because all the seats are sold to corporations and given to businesmen or clients who aren't fans and asking is Salming hurt again?, where's Sittler? The true Leaf fans have to go to Buffalo when the Leafs play the Sabres, that's when the builing is loud.
 pickmynose
Msg: 7656 (view)

Hockey anyone?
Posted: 12/3/2009 6:32:59 AM
Does anyone think Ovechkin's suspension will lower his popularity as a fan favourite?
 pickmynose
Msg: 5 (view)

Hockey-Changing the shoot-out.
Posted: 11/13/2009 5:20:54 PM
I'm a real fan too, I watch 2-3 games/week, but when the game goes to a shootout I turn the channel. No game should be decided by a skill's competition, is this a fair way to decide a game? the obvious answer is NO . I also think the point system is wrong, all games should be worth 3 points, a regulation win 3 points, ot win 2 points and ot loss 1 point. This way there's an incentive to win in regulation and not just go through the motions to get to ot or the sideshow and win the skill's competition.
 pickmynose
Msg: 3 (view)

Posted: 11/10/2009 11:47:22 AM
well ratherbegolfing, you now know 1 hockey fan who turns the game off when a game goes to a shootout. I'm sure there are more fans than myself who do this. I agree that the NFL overtime is decided the wrong way too, they need to adapt the CFL rules where each team has the ball at least once on the opponent's 35 yard line and the team who does more with their chance wins.
 pickmynose

Posted: 11/10/2009 6:48:22 AM
I have to disagree with you(Attie21), the shootout is no more than an exciting way to toss a coin. A game should be won during the real game when the TEAM can pass to each other and shoot and score as a team during real game play. The shoot out is a side show trying to attract non hockey fans, it may be attracting a few of them, but at the same time it's losing the real fans of hockey. Do you really think this is a way to decide a game? Would you decide a world series by getting the top three hitters of each team and see who hits the most homeruns, or decide the superbowl by seeing which quarterback can throw the most balls through a tire, or decide the world cup of soccer by seeing who can kick the most balls past a goalkeeper? Come on that is no way to decide a game.
 pickmynose
Msg: 114 (view)

Posted: 11/5/2009 8:44:23 AM
MLB needs to have a salary cap to allow parity in the league. It is true that the Yankees won the world series, but did they really win?, were the majority of their players developed through their minor league team or bought as free agents from other teams(Sabathia, Burnett, others)? If the answer is they were developed through the Yankee system, then congratuations on winning the World Series. Even if this is the case a cap is needed.
 pickmynose
Msg: 31 (view)

NFL in Europe?
Posted: 9/22/2009 5:31:19 PM
Frankster, I think you meant EVOLVED not devolved rugby, either that or you're resisting evolution of games. Rugby is a great game, but to call football a devolved form of the game is a true lack of knowledge of either sport. In the future I would refrain from commenting until I could do so rationally and intelligently. If you were just kidding the "devolved" comment then I'm sorry.
 pickmynose
Msg: 26 (view)

NFL in Europe?
Posted: 9/15/2009 1:43:01 PM
The MSL in North America would be the same as NFL in Europe. Both leagues have players who are rejects from the superior leagues and both have fans that are not native to the country( MSL fans are immigrants pretending they're in Europe and NFL Europe fans are immigrants pretending they're in North America.
 pickmynose
Msg: 12 (view)

NFL in Europe?
Posted: 9/11/2009 11:20:37 AM
I can't understand why people hate a sport because they wear protection from injuries. That's like saying driving a car sucks because you wear a seatbelt. Hating a sport for that reason makes no sense
 pickmynose
Msg: 4 (view)

NFL in Europe?
Posted: 9/9/2009 3:33:54 PM
I agree just keep the NFL in USA, we don't need the NFL in Canada the CFL is a great game too.
 pickmynose

NFL in Europe?
Posted: 9/9/2009 8:17:47 AM
NFL Europe and MSL soccer had/have similar problems, they are sports that are played in countries that don't like them. Another similarity are the players are rejects from more elite leagues which lowers the quality of play. I hope the MSL doesn't make the same mistake the NFL Europe made by not playing their best players. MSL seems to be either EPL rejects or players past their prime, they need to better that for the league to succeed. I hope they do.
 pickmynose
Msg: 32 (view)

Baseball Brainstorm
Posted: 7/24/2009 11:44:02 AM
I think baseball's problem is the divisions and unbalanced schedules. The American and National league central divisions are too easy. The division leaders in those divisions would be fighting to stay out of the basement in the National league West or American league East. I say get rid of divisions altogether and have the the top 6 teams of each league make the playoffs. Also each team should play each other the same number of times during the regular season.
The way it is now, it makes it too hard for teams like Texas, Seatle, Toronto and Tampa Bay to make the playoffs. They did improve the playoff format by adding wild cards, but there's much to be done to improve in baseball's schedule and divisions.
 pickmynose
Msg: 8 (view)

Soccer/Football teams
Posted: 6/15/2009 6:58:14 AM
CK1708, the Americans call their game football because it's a spinoff or evolution of Rugby football. The Europeans eventually dropped football from the game and called it rugby, Americans dropped rugby from the game and called it football.
I can't say I watch much European soccer/football, the availability isn't easy, but I'm routing for the Toronto FC in MSL.
 pickmynose
Msg: 19 (view)

Super Bowl in London?? WTF
Posted: 6/9/2009 12:54:47 PM
I don't think the Super Bowl in London would work, it would be like having Euro Cup in USA, it wouldn't work. The only Europeans that would go to the SuperBowl would be the ones who have family in America and have some interest in the game, similar to the only Americans that would attend the EuroCup would be Americans with family in Europe. I doubt this would work, just my opinion.
 pickmynose
Msg: 56 (view)

two british past times
Posted: 5/25/2009 6:51:24 PM
Pedro, you're talking about a sport of which you have little knowledge. Just because Rugby doesn't use padding doesn't mean they are tougher it means they're not using their heads. Rugby should be using padding, I realize Rugby hits are far less powerful than NFL hits, but they should really be using padding to reduce injuries. Pedro don't you see how many injuries the NFL has each year? I wonder how many more there would be if they didn't wear padding. Use your head before making foolish comments.
 pickmynose
Msg: 45 (view)

two british past times
Posted: 5/23/2009 1:55:34 PM
Pedro, you've insulted American sports on many occasions. You've said that "Americans go to football games like they go to the movies and eat nachos and don't care about the game". You hate that we call football, soccer, there are many others, but do you see why many disagree with your comments when they sound arrogant and "Pedro speaks no wrong" bow to him and chant "we're not worthy, we're not worthy".
 pickmynose
Msg: 20 (view)

two british past times
Posted: 5/17/2009 2:35:40 PM
I'm not sure how you guys took this the wrong way. Ratherbegolfing was disagreeing with the OP who said that football "was supported by thugs" and said that most of the thugs at football games have never worn cleats (played the game). It was clear to me that he's a football supporter and saying some of the thugs at football games are not true fans.
 pickmynose
Msg: 16 (view)

two british past times
Posted: 5/17/2009 1:41:17 PM
It's true Zedhead, I think you did misread ratherbegolfing's post and took the wording out of context. I think his first comment was defending football by saying that most of the hooligans at football matches aren't even fans, they're there to cause trouble and using the match as an excuse similar to New Year's Eve drunks using it as a night to get drunk.
 pickmynose
Msg: 634 (view)

This Week In Baseball
Posted: 5/17/2009 12:56:29 PM
I guess you'll have to watch the documentary to find out if baseball originated in England. Some say it's spinoff of rounders which was a british game, personally I don't think that's where it originated from. I think it's more closely related to cricket.
 pickmynose
Msg: 626 (view)

This Week In Baseball
Posted: 5/13/2009 2:26:32 PM
It was great to see the Blue Jays beat the Yankees last night, especially because AJ Burnett was pitching. I wonder if Burnett is having second thoughts about opting out of his contract to sign with the Yankees.
 pickmynose
Msg: 172 (view)

Greatest footballer (soccer) Pele or Maradona? Or any other you decide.
Posted: 5/11/2009 2:49:22 AM
Pedro, the reason the scores are higher in football than in soccer isn't the 7 points for 1 touchdown. If you awarded 1 point for touchdowns the avg score would be 5-3 which is way more than soccer. Liverpool is the highest scoring team in EPL and they only have 72 goals in 36 games, that's an avg of 2 per game. I'm not bashing soccer it's not as easy to score as in football, but the 7 points/ touchdown isn't the real reason why the score is higher, football does have more scoring than soccer.
 pickmynose
Msg: 9 (view)

Stay at home moms, am I being fair?
Posted: 5/7/2009 9:25:27 AM
I think you're being hard on this guy. There are many people on this site only for the forums and NOT to find a date. This man sound like one of those people. I think the stay at home mom is an important job and it sounds like she isn't doing it.
 pickmynose
Msg: 30 (view)

someone explain the 09 jays to me
Posted: 5/7/2009 7:47:22 AM
I agree that it's too early. If the Blue Jays were 10-20 everyone would say "Jays suck", "fire Cito" etc. and I would still say it's too early. If they're still 1st or only 3 or 4 games out at the end of May, then yes they're a true contender. The American league East is the hardest division to win with Yankees and Red Sox, the only bad team is Baltimore, and I shouldn't really say they're bad, if they were in the west they'd be 4 games out of 1st place. I still say it's too early, in 3 weeks I'll stop saying it's too early.
 pickmynose
Msg: 25 (view)

Posted: 5/2/2009 12:30:49 PM
This team has pretty much the same roster as last season, but last year they hit .133 with runners in scoring position and this year they're hitting .302. It is still too early to judge. I think their pitching have had too many injuries and with Marcum, Mcgowan, Litche and Ryan hurt their hitting will have to continue. This year there won't be too many 2-1 or 1-0 wins, most wins will probably be 6-5 or 7-6. I hope they continue to hit, in my opinion when they get their injured pitchers back, that's when they'll be a real threat to the American League East. Wait until May 31 until you look at the standings, it's too early.
 pickmynose
Msg: 41 (view)

Canadiens vs Bruins best rivalry in sports
Posted: 5/2/2009 11:51:10 AM
this playoffs the Bruins vs Canadians was a total domination by the Bruins. The Canadians were swept 4 straight. I don't think that this is the best sport's rivalry. In my opinion it's the Toronto Argos vs Hamilton TigerCats of the CFL. They played each other over 200 times and both teams won 1/2 the matches. Even when one team sucks in a particular season,they face each other it's a close and hard fought battle. As said before rivalries are local and not global. Most Europeans never heard of Bruins and Canadians, similarly most North Americans think the Celtics are a basketball team from Boston and the Rangers are a hockey team from New York. Most Americans would say the Yankees vs RedSox and most Canadians would say Maple Leafs vs Canadiens.
 pickmynose
Msg: 18 (view)

Posted: 4/28/2009 6:28:16 PM
Baseball doesn't always make sense. A good example is the 2006 St.Louis Cardinals, they were far from being the best team in the league (even the Blue Jays had a better record and they didn't make the playoffs) , but they won the World Series. As long as the Blue Jays are in the American League East, the best they can hope for is a wild card.
 pickmynose
Msg: 598 (view)

This Week In Baseball
Posted: 4/25/2009 6:48:25 AM
How about those Blue Jays, best team in MLB. I know it's early and you can't really judge standings or stats until the end of May, but it's nice to see them ahead of both Yankees and RedSox when their salaries are waaay more than the Blue Jays.
 pickmynose
Msg: 35 (view)

Best POF Sports Rivalry
Posted: 4/23/2009 6:31:29 PM
as I said in my first post on this topic, a best rivalry in sports can't be realistically done because rivalries are local to your country or city. Most Europeans would think that the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees rivalry is a joke, similarly most North Americans have never heard of the Rangers vs Celtics rivalry and would say that's a joke.
 pickmynose
Msg: 22 (view)

Posted: 4/22/2009 2:03:46 PM
it's way to early to be looking at the standings and judging any team's record. If they're playing bad at the end of May, then I'd be concerned if I were a Yankee fan. Right now the Blue Jays are the best, but as I said the end of May is when you can start looking at the standings, not now.
 pickmynose
Msg: 11 (view)

Toronto Blue Jays
Posted: 4/21/2009 6:05:45 AM
the home opener this year was sold out or at least very full, but with a winning team they should have an avg of 40,000 +. I don't get it.
 pickmynose
Msg: 8 (view)

Toronto Blue Jays
Posted: 4/20/2009 10:45:32 AM
I can't understand how the Blue Jays are doing so well, but the attendance is so poor. I was at the game yesterday and there were only 22,000. They're the 2nd best team in baseball, but still can't draw flies. Maybe when the hockey playoffs end the attendance will improve, but by then they may come back to reality and be on a losing streak. I hope their season continues to shine.
 pickmynose
Msg: 7 (view)

Canadiens vs Bruins best rivalry in sports
Posted: 4/20/2009 10:26:20 AM
the best rivalry in sports is a very subjective topic and open to interpertation. In my opinion the best rivalry is the Toronto Argonauts vs Hamilton TigerCats. Europeans would say Rangers vs Celtics, Americans would say Yankees vs RedSox. To name the best rivalry can't realistically be done.

Show ALL Forums