Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Why is so Tipping/gratitude so expected in Vancouver ?
 aysana
Msg: 8 (view)

Why is so Tipping/gratitude so expected in Vancouver ?
Posted: 4/21/2013 10:26:09 AM

In a cab, I'd say that "how much do you want" is not unreasonable, as the change-making is often a pain and there's no point in going through it twice.

Nobody EVER gets away with not coming back with MY change unless I've told them to keep it.

I think the cabbies are especially intimidating to women.They were asked the price before I got in the cab and obviously you expect change and you may tip but they never give you a chance to do that.My family wanted to report them but decided that we would not use taxis anymore and....well avoid eating out. Fact is that it shouldn't have to come to that.....!
 aysana
Msg: 4 (view)

Best Places in Vancouver
Posted: 4/21/2013 10:15:28 AM
Thank you !
That was very informative .Have a good day .
 aysana
Msg: 12 (view)

Relocating to UK
Posted: 4/13/2013 1:02:11 PM
Grass is greener in the UK .
Lived in Toronto and its does not compare to London.
Vancouver is great and the best part of Canada.
The OP needs to check his work visa and status.You need to show that and your passport for any jobs that you apply and are accepted for an interview for but otherwise your job hunt may be better than you think going on your experience and qualification.
 aysana
Msg: 6 (view)

Posted: 4/13/2013 12:53:16 PM

he expectation for tips is out of control. I do not accept that the rate has arbitrarily gone up from 10 to 20%. And my response to 'stay home if you can't afford to tip' is to stay home.

They shouldn't take the job if it doesn't pay enough and the employer shouldn't set up shop unless he can pay his staff is the thought process we are used to in England altho we do tip . Also like the poster above,they tend to ask you "how is your meal "within a minute and that is the sum total of the service they give to warrant a "tip"
I only wish I was a millionaire considering the tips that are expected !
 aysana
Msg: 3 (view)

Best Places in Vancouver
Posted: 4/13/2013 12:45:53 PM
thank you...
Thing is we are meeting a lot of people.Networking and get chatting and they too are from Toronto,Oz and every country in Europe,s America etc and they too are hoping to meet locals although they all have various and differing reasons .
We are looking to network with business and professional types.The sort you normally find in the City or Canary Wharf.
...altho realise that Vancouver does not have a big financial hub.
If anybody knows where these hang out....let us know !
 aysana
Msg: 19 (view)

Could you live on just £53 per week?
Posted: 4/10/2013 10:05:40 AM

As as someone who is single and doesnt have kids, when Ive been on benefit there have been no extras. Basic JSA and some rent and council tax paid and that is it. And Im sure enough people out there might have been in a similar situation as me, I wouldnt wish it on anyone. And anyone can lose their job at any time, its happening to thousands of people every day.

I claimed JSA once for 5 months and I got the bare basic JSA because I lived at home and my parents have never had any money off me at any time so wouldn't then either.I still found it difficult and I can understand that its a nightmare for people to cope.£53 is hardly anything.I wouldn't ever begrudge the old,the young or the sick.Not even the unemployed.
Some people do abuse the system but they never get caught out.Its always those on the lowest sum possible that gets hammered and the media is a great one for glossing over certain abuses of power,of systems and galvanising public opinion for or against their pet hate or like of the day.
 aysana
Msg: 73 (view)

Thatcher is Dead
Posted: 4/10/2013 9:53:44 AM
I am not saying anything good,bad or indifferent about Mrs T but there is no doubt thats its upset a lot of people.
I can't blame the protesters or the supporters.Sad thing is that the tax funded funeral will not go down well with people.
They think you can do everything on £53 per week but they can claim expenses of £3750 just to attend her funeral......apparently MP's salaries are not high enough. I am in full time work and always have been bar once for 5months but I can still understand that £53 is not enough and hate the resentment against the worst off in society .
 aysiana
Msg: 2 (view)

Best Places in Vancouver
Posted: 4/8/2013 12:52:12 PM
@chopstickhero
Thank you so much for your response !

I love Vancouver downtown and Yaletown but I am thinking that the population is not a fixed population?
They mostly seem new to the place like myself or is that a misconception ?
Does anybody know if thats true ? Thanks.
 aysiana
Msg: 31 (view)

Thatcher is Dead
Posted: 4/8/2013 12:45:40 PM
Oh dear.
I am not going to say anything bad about the woman but whats happening today is solely down to her policies of de-regulation and de-nationalisation.
For profit and big business everything was sold off,run down,tendered out .
 aysiana
Msg: 17 (view)

copying accents
Posted: 4/8/2013 12:38:45 PM

I'd wonder if maybe you have a talent for picking up languages. Using the ear unconsciously like that seems to me like it might be an indicator of innate ability.

I think if you speak more than one language ,or of immigrant parents then you tend to have more of a chance of picking up other languages as well.Otherwise you learn quickly as a child.I am bi-lingual and fluent in both plus I can get by in 4 others.My father can speak 4 languages fluently and my mother speaks 2 fluently . I think it makes you more receptive to people of other cultures and languages in the sense of understanding what they are saying even if they are struggling.
I can understand Polish speakers English faster than my friends who only speak the one language,English, themselves.
You are kind of tuned into to different sounds,words and languages.I have a Spanish sister-in-law and Spanish friends so thats another language I am hearing often.I like the sound.Its like music.

@HelenbackAgain
I know a German lady who has lived in Britain since the war so she wasn't using German on a daily basis but she never lost the language or the accent.We would go and bring her German language books and mags at her request so its never too late to polish up the Spanish.
 aysiana
Msg: 4 (view)

Posted: 4/7/2013 2:22:12 PM
@Paddy_o_Lantern

>One of the interesting things about the service industry is that while tips are expected in a restaurant or bar and to a lesser degree hair stylists and taxi drivers regardless of the quality of service or product they are serving there are plenty of other service industry jobs paying minimum wage where customers actively complain about service yet no tip is seldom if ever given - retail and fast food for instance.

Exactly.We all know certain places you do tip.Thats not the issue.The issue is that its taken aggressively without consent.Its happened consistantly in every type of restaurant here in Vancouver.In taxis time and time again.In hairdressers.Its intimidation in fact.In Britain I think that one time would be one time too many from a legal point of view.
I went to the hairdressers in Vancouver and spent a fair amount .Paid the woman and no change.No attempt to return the change at all.I had to ask for my $30 change and she looked at me very surprised as if.........what ?
In England my hairdresser is a Gold Star salon and its a given that your change is returned and you have the same level of service.They are just pleased to see you.In fact they give you Christmas presents as a thank you.

@BritinBurnaby.
The GST/PST/HST stuff confuses everything as well so if the price is marked as $9.99 in a buffet for example,you tend to offer $20 to cover the tax .Next thing you know they take the lot and nothing is said.Yet they haven't done anything.Said anything so there is no service to speak of so whats to tip ? And like I say...they don't give you the choice.They just take the change as a tip.Our VAT is already built into the price so prices are clearer.

So saying Denys is okay! Also a fish and chips place at North Van and another great place in Stevenston Village which serves Russian home cooked food.

I better counter this and mention that Vancouver bus drivers are pretty cool and always polite.The spare change guys and girls are polite despite being in dire straits.There are a few I buy meals for on occasion and if they see me and that one time I can't then they are still nice about it.
 aysiana
Msg: 13 (view)

copying accents
Posted: 4/7/2013 1:37:42 PM
I can pick up accents particularly if the person has a strong one and a distinctive personalty.That means you can recognise the person as well . I am from Shropshire so that accent is pretty hard to place .I can do Brummie , French and Italian English.My hairdresser is Italian who has lived in the UK for 30 years so his English is very Brummie English with an Italian accent and he has a massive personality,so I can copy that. Also Ontario Canadian English as I have friends from there.BC English as I have family here .Its easy to recognise British regional accents for me but difficult to copy them consistantly.
My most favourite accent is the Irish accent and the Texan and Southern (USA) The British accent that I really have problems with is the Scottish accent.I find it most beautiful but really difficult to understand and in my job of work , thats who we deal with the most.Think Lorraine Kelly and multiply by 10 !
 aysiana
Msg: 51 (view)

whats your favourite wild west film?
Posted: 4/6/2013 12:44:45 PM
All the Little House on the Prairie films !
Not the conventional western but lovely anyway.
 aysiana
Msg: 15 (view)

Posted: 4/6/2013 12:04:57 PM
[quote ]t was the tories in the 80s that in order to buy working class votes, enacted legalisation to sell council (read publicly owned) houses to the tenants. At the same time they also cut funding to the councils, and they forbid the money from the house sales to be used to build new houses.[quote/]

This is where the rot set in.The tenants bought their own homes at a fraction of the cost and it reduced the housing stock so any future tenants had to be housed in private housing at whatever rate the landlord asked for.The landlord had the local authority over a barrel . Where council rent was fixed for a certain house,(the landlord,private housing assc,big business ) would and could ask for 10 times the accepted rent. That applies to school meals,old age peoples homes,bus companies,nurses,utilities etc. Competitive tendering was brought in by the Tories.They reduce services that the taxpayer is paying for but the bills keep rising and big business is getting richer and richer.
For eg: Nurses used to be trained at nursing hospitals and the matron was in charge of them.Now they have managers cutting costs in hospitals and they get bonuses each year while they cut costs.I know of a woman who gets £30.000 sometimes and thats not right. Because the whole thing was tendered out to private nursing agencies they will supply a nurse say for £90 per hour.They will pay the nurse £10ph and keep £80.They may have got that nurse in from Zimbabwe or elsewhere.She is happy and the agency is happier but the NHS is paying £90ph where before competitive tendering you didn't .The NHS was in good shape.Private and big business is to blame.Not the working man,the old and the sick and certainly not the young.
When school meals were cooked on the school premises by the authority they were simple,nourishing but cheap.
Now private companies can feed schoolkids rubbish for 15p and charge you anything they like.
And when like now they want to reduce spending,they punish the most vunerable.
Any services supplied are paid for by taxes but those services are "provided" by big business at min cost to them,maximum cost to the taxpayer which is you .Its them who need to learn to live on £53.They are to blame for this mess.
 aysiana
Msg: 2 (view)

Posted: 4/6/2013 11:38:56 AM
[I find that hard to believe. I think most restaurant staff expect at least a 10% tip anything less is considered an insult IME. The last time I was in a Restaurant in England ( London 1980 and the food was not good ) a 15% tip was added to the price of the meal and you had no say in the matter./]

I heard the food was bad back then in England ! We spend months in central London every year and the food is varied and very reasonable and honestly they give you,your change back and you can leave what you like on the table as a tip and I am talking of the best parts of central London.Its better food and from every corner of the world and maybe half the price of Vancouver fare.Honestly.The service is always of the same standard,usually very polite but if they are ever surly and I have been lucky that,I have never come across surly service in Britain but if they were going to be then its nothing at all to do with the tip or lack of.

I love the people of Vancouver but I don't understand the taxi drivers and those in restaurants.You have to request your change back . Its not good enough that you have paid for the food or service.Why state a price if you want double that ?They walk off with your money and don't come back .The last taxi driver took my $40 for a $31 fare and said "thanks for the tip" and off he goes . Another one said " how much do you want" when I asked for my change. Thats weird behaviour.

Who I do like are the homeless people in Vancouver.They are quite polite and have a sense of humour too.
I would rather give them my extra dollars and I do. I like how they open the doors to shops for you while they hold a paper cup for spare change .They thank you nicely too and thats rare anywhere.
 aysiana
Msg: 1 (view)

Best Places in Vancouver
Posted: 4/6/2013 9:22:49 AM
Where are the best places to hang out in Downtown,N Vancouver and Vancouver West and why.
Where would you meet the most educated people,the most family people,funny people.
Downtown strikes me as a place of a transit population but maybe I have that wrong ?
Thanks
 aysiana
Msg: 1 (view)

Posted: 4/6/2013 9:17:56 AM
Why is "tipping" so expected in Vancouver ?
This seems to be an aggressive expectation and I am wondering if its because they think you are a tourist or something.
I have been in taxis and the fare maybe $33 and you give them $40 and they walk off and thats it.
Same thing in restaurants .Pay $50 for a meal costing $31 and they never come back with your change and I resent it.Why would you need to ask for your change at all ? I would give a small tip but they seem to take it as if by right and no thank you either.So then what we started doing was going to places where you have to go up and pay afterwards.There they ask you...lol....would you want to give gratitude of 20%...no.....10 %.....no......5%....no !
Its the principle of the thing .It should be your personal choice to tip not taken as given and no change offered back.
What we do now is....have the exact change ,pay the bill and out we go.
In Britain,no tip is ever expected in restaurants or taxis or anywhere but if you give one and most people will tip in restaurants,then they will be just as polite if you do or don't.Its not expected and you will get the same level of service.
So,how are the locals with this tipping ? Do you recieve the same aggressiveness in keeping the change as a tip?
 aysiana
Msg: 14 (view)

Posted: 4/6/2013 8:54:20 AM
You can live on £53 a week but only if everything else is paid for.Only a single or couple can live on this.
Even if you buy fresh and cook yourself which we do always,you could just manage on it and thats without going anywhere.
But why should people be reduced to this state of affairs when you have paid into the system all these years.Its the people who pay in,that are penalised not the people who don't.I had to claim JSA for 5 months and I was questioned in detail and continuously.Only reason I had to claim was my employer was moving 70 miles away.Part of a dept that was tendered out and I had no means of suddenly moving there or travelling there daily.So since I was living at home with parents who do not expect board off me,I was fine but it did worry me till i got a job.
They should target the MP's and bankers not the workers,the old,the young or the sick .If people are getting benefits then why the need to provide them with a home too? They should sort that out themselves.
 aysiana
Msg: 48 (view)

whats your favourite wild west film?
Posted: 4/6/2013 8:42:11 AM
Dances with Wolves was great.Only thing or person that was unbelievable was Stands with a Fist.
The rest were outstanding especially Wind in his Hair and the Pawnee(scare).The set and the action.
I tend to like westerns with the wagon trains and when they show how these people got settled .
Jeremiah Johnson and Into the West.I think Into the West is quite recent but quite informative.
We used to have SKY TV MOVIES a few years ago and they would show westerns I had never seen before and without stars that you might of heard of. Sometimes the angle was unusual .One time they showed a film of a wagon train heading over the plains of the mid west.How they survived through the harsh weather,how the Native Americans viewed them and the fights they had.The stealing of women back and forth between this group and that.This white girl had been taken by the Native Chief and then she didn't want to come back and he wanted her to stay, despite half the US Army out looking for her.She stayed with him.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and the Big Country.
Westerns are probably my most favourite type of film.
 aysiana
Msg: 22 (view)

Pakistan... To give or not to give.
Posted: 8/26/2010 9:08:01 AM

you really should learn politics and whats happening quite soon. as i put earlier pakistan almost came to the point of civil war and even a killing of a potential leader.

Not being" into politics" is quite different than "learning politics".
Either way why should ordinary people need to suffer no matter what race or religion.

I condemm terror,hunger or pain against normal everyday people.Anywhere be it here or overseas.Nobody has to donate and nothing wrong if they don't.Times are hard and families come first.

I still don't understand why,of all the countries with would be bombers and bombers involved including Pakistan-why is Pakistan's poor more accountable than any of Somalias or Jamaica's or Saudis? On that basis no aid should of gone to Africa or West Indies in the last 10 years.Its not like Somalia or Haiti has a law abiding democracy and is helping with the war on terror like Pakistan is.NATO needs Pakistan to transport their own supply lines as the link shows and to assist the allies.Like I said previously-only Pres Musharaf apologised for the London bombings because 3 Pakistanis were involved. Correct me if Somalia,Eritrea,Jamaica ever did for the second one.
BinLaden was a USA puppet for some time and I believe that Pres Bush allowed the BinLaden family to leave America even when no other flights were taking place after that incident,yet now they hold Pakistan responsible when supposedly he is in Afghanistan.So thats tremendous bias.

So like I say-I am not into politics but I do read whats going on.I relate to normal,decent and good people here at home and abroad.Politicians do and say whatever to keep themselves in the hot seat of power without any regard to the public and thats why I am not into politics.
 aysiana
Msg: 20 (view)

Posted: 8/25/2010 12:54:52 PM

where the money would end up or maybe, as the facebook poster indicated, that people just dont like any Pakistani's due to the terrorism link and are brushing them all with the same dirty brush which is pretty awful really.

Poor Pakistanis are not the only people affected by the floods.NATO troops are too.Their food supply is disrupted :-

Pakistan is the major supply route for equipment destined for 141,000 Nato forces in Afghanistan, with some 5000 lorries a month travelling through the Khyber pass on their way to the border and Kabul beyond.

“Supply to the Nato forces via the border at Torkham has decreased by 80% due to the floodwaters,” Ashraf Khalil, vice president of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Transporters Association.

A second route, through Balochistan, to Kandahar Air Base in southern Afghanistan has also been badly affected.

A spokesman for the American embassy in Islamabad said supplies were still getting through and that the floods would not affect the safety of service personnel in Afghanistan.

“There’s no disruption that would influence any of our operations at that sort of level,” he said.

The disruption to Pakistan’s road network is so extensive that there is massive demand for helicopters and air transporters. The United Nations said yesterday that it was struggling to reach 800,000 people cut off by monsoon rains. Officials estimated that the UN needs at least 40 more helicopters to stave off hunger and disease among flood victims. The US military has sent scores of helicopters to Pakistan and even the Afghan military has sent a helicopter from its fleet.

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/7963961/Nato-supplies-to-Afghanistan-hit-by-Pakistan-floods.html

I am not into politics so not sure where the terrorist link comes from considering Bin Laden was Saudi and so were the 9/11 folk.The London bombers of 7/7 had 3 Pakistanis and 1 Jermaine Lindsay from Jamaica.The Pakistan PM apologised officially at that time .The other one of 21/7 were all from African countries like Somalia and Eritrea.Going on that rationale we must stop aid to places in the west Indies and Africa.Pakistan is allowing their country to be used for NATO forces.Its a fine line they are on.
 aysiana
Msg: 17 (view)

Posted: 8/25/2010 9:23:09 AM

Considering the UK has the largest overseas Pakistani population i would have thought more money/aid from the UK would have been donated .........a little more giving from their ex countrymen maybe ?

I am not Pakistani,but I gave to this.I know that Pakistanis,Sikhs,Hindus and everybody else as well as British people have given.We can only give to the same bodies such as Oxfam or Unicef like anybody else and its not a question of why don't the Pakistanis give.They do.
I know what the OP is saying and I fully agree with you .
Its not as if ex- pat Haitians donated to Haiti or ex pat- Africans donate to Africa.Although I notice that Bono only speaks up for the poor if its that part of the world.

Pakistanis are not poor by any means but they are not rich either.Pakistan is able to feed itself bcus its fully cultivated and farmed as you can see even with all this water.You can see the fields submerged.This flood has ruined all that but I am sure that they will recover and with help be okay. I was pretty amazed that at least they seemed to grab their kids and pots and pans and start moving....or swimming away as fast as they could.At least they tried to save themselves and now trying to stem the tide.

Thanks to all those who donated.
 aysiana
Msg: 46 (view)

Indian Men with American Women
Posted: 8/25/2010 9:03:59 AM
Although its called the caste system,its not what people imply .The nearest thing to it is the EU.Obviously the EU nations are all one type in a way but they are not one type either.They have different languages,histories,religions and various cultural norms.
India was like that from a long,long time ago.So for example you will get Punjabis of a broad similar race and background with other sets of people living there too,like you do in Spain.Bengal as you would in Greece,Kashmir as you would in Denmark.These people mix language and culture permitting .The history is different but the practical is the same.Only unusual aspect are the shudras.They are considered, as the African Americans were.Its wrong ,naturally.

Coming back to the question-I think it is accepted.I have seen it often.Not a problem and the guy doesn't need to be westernised either.I have seen European girls with guys from Punjab.Married with their own kids.Fully accepted and going off to India to visit back and forth.Recently a English/Italian girl got married to an Indian.Had 2 weddings to cater for both families.Big affairs.Both chemists and been together 5 years.
Just accept the cultural differences.Usually Punjabi guys appear tough and unyielding but actually they can and are very much into family as in own family,wife and kids.Then its like you can boss them around as long as only you do,nobody else.
 aysiana
Msg: 7 (view)

broadband and telephone line whats the best deal???
Posted: 3/25/2009 1:26:57 PM
We have talktalk and its a good deal at £20.45 per month for line rental, broadband and free UK,EU and US and Canadian ,Oz calls .Our only outlay is the charge to UK mobiles and UK lowcall numbers which does not make sense to me considering all the free stuff .

My parents had this package because of relatives in the US so free calls are great .Our renewal contract came up and we complained (slightly) and they allowed us a certain amount of free calls to India to compensate for us not using the other freebies .Its good if we are on holiday in the EU because the parents can phone you up to 100 times a day (free)!

They also allowed 3 months at half price for loyalty as we have been with them ages.It is a nighmare to call them but its rare now that we need to.The options take ages but thats the same for any company....try E-on or BT !

I do not have problems with Indian accents .They are extremely clear and I can tune into accents anyway.They sometimes go to SA and thats more difficult to de-cipher altho its very attractive on the ears.
 aysiana
Msg: 117 (view)

Jade Goody Has Cancer
Posted: 2/4/2009 11:22:16 AM
Whatever she has said and done ,I believe she was sorry and she apologised.
Now I see how scared she must be and my heart goes out to her and her children.
 aysiana
Msg: 142 (view)

Prince Harry and his racial slurs.
Posted: 1/13/2009 6:24:10 AM

I will generalize here, Indians and Pakistanis despise each other with venom . Scots/ English/ Irish is just a bit of friendly banter, I can say that because at the end of day Scots / Irish are in our armed forces and kill or be killed for us all, so they cant really hate us can they?. I just couldn't see Indians doing that for Pakistanis or vise verse.

Making assumptions aren't you?
Pakistan and India was one country until 1947 and even since then India has has muslim presidents ,MP's and police chiefs. Most of the big Bollywood stars/producers etc are muslims with the same origin as Afghans and Bollywood is watched throughout Pakistan so if there was hatred.wouldn't there be a boycott ?

Those same Indians and Pakistanis also fought for Britain in two world wars and its not like they wanted the Raj just like the Irish didn't want to be ruled over.It doesn't stop you from defending your friends does it? And India provided a 2.5 million man army in WW2 for Britain in case you try to dum it down.
 aysiana
Msg: 138 (view)

Prince Harry and his racial slurs.
Posted: 1/13/2009 5:47:23 AM
I was not going to comment on the racist issue but I will and only because certain things are being attributed to Indians which just are not true .You have every right to be racist if thats your wish but Paki is definately said to upset or goad and well you know it.
Pakistan came into formation in 1947 and its name comes from the provinces .The word does not mean "pure".The idea was to have a pure state of Islam.Thats different to the meaning of the word- Pakistan- so when you say Paki .....why not say the whole word-Pakistani if you are being normal? And if you say "paki" because you think it means "pure".....are you Urdu/Hindi speakers ?
Khalis means "pure".Pavitar means "pure"

Indians do not call Pakistanis-Pakis and certainly not in India .
Political fricture there is no different to the Scots/English here or Irish/English friction . No more and probably less .

When I was at school and if a kid wanted to hurt someone they called you a " Paki "
I remember an Indian boy being called a "Paki" and him objecting that he was Indian and a fight ensuring .The Indian boy beat up the English boy and I came home and told my parents.They said that if someone calls you "Paki" just ignore them.They are trying to hurt you but its not worth fighting pure racist ignorance and thats what it boils down to . They told us - don't bother disputing that you are not Pakistani but that you are Indian because a racist never cares about things like that . They said that if someone calls you "Paki" just accept it and say...ok....I am not ashamed of my background etc. and I think thats what those young lads are doing now with the teeshirts. They are fighting that racist word with pride and by themselves.

It was obviously a white person who complained and released that clip and I applaud him/her .Its not a nickname.Its not a PC issue. It is racist ignorance .
 aysiana
Msg: 41 (view)

indian food
Posted: 1/5/2009 2:02:03 PM

Message: Wow this thread is like a PhD in Indian Cuisine. I want to copy every single post. Thanks everyone for sharing. Thanks for clearing up the fennel issue SS. I had never seen it in recipes. I guess it's the same situation as our Mexican food--depends on what part of the country we're talking about. Can someone throw some light on things like "What is Punjabi cuisine" and what are some of the other regional differences? Please and thanks

Punjabi cuisine is actually the mainstream Indian cuisine .
Generally it also includes moghuli,tandoori and balti.All these are north Indian.
All the meat dishes,the starters :the samosas,pakoras ,the deserts like kulfi,gulab jamuns etc.The stuffed,fried,tandoori and leavened breads,the saags,paneers and palaks are all from that variety .The garam masala and the masala etc etc.

South Indian is very different.
More fish and rice .
 aysiana
Msg: 31 (view)

indian food
Posted: 12/21/2008 1:22:30 PM
Can I just mention that there is MASALA and GARAM MASALA....two entirely different things and parts of the whole .Otherwise it looks like you all know whats what.

There are also massive regional variations in cooking styles.

Tandoori,Balti,moghuli,Punjabi are the most universally accepted and tasty and are inter-ralated.They are north Indian cooking styles and very diverse and far ranging as in curries(karahi ) ,breads ,starters and deserts .

Good luck .

Show ALL Forums