Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: peeping tom story/ justice system screwed up ( again)
 flyin-high
Msg: 71 (view)

peeping tom story/ justice system screwed up ( again)
Posted: 4/22/2010 4:55:10 PM

neither of you has ANY sort of suggestions on how we could deal with the problem
That’s probably because neither of us see peeping toms as much of a problem, the justice systems solution was perfectly acceptable.

Society does have some serious problems to deal with but, peeping toms are not one of them.

You’re such a drama queen.
 flyin-high
Msg: 65 (view)

Posted: 4/22/2010 9:22:19 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Obviously, social rules are not your forte.... Stick with Folkways, you definitely don’t want Mores.

flyin-high
Msg: 32 (view)

our legal system in action
Posted: 1/7/2010 6:42:04 PM

I'm guessing you're a defence attorney, a social worker, or in the autobody repair business
I’m guessing you’re lacking any evidence as to why the legal system needs to be changed. Questioning my motives doesn’t prove your point, it just makes you look fearful and vindictive… the world really isn’t that bad, everyone isn’t out to get you.
 flyin-high
Msg: 30 (view)

Posted: 1/7/2010 2:37:00 PM

To say that "only" 7 people die as the result of high speed chases really misses the point.
1500 die in vehicle accidents every year, 7 out of 1500 is a minimal problem… what was your point?

-Injury to many other people who did not die.
-All the psychological pain and suffering to the loved ones of the person who did die
-Monetary loss to the victims
-Rising insurance rates
I didn’t ask, but since you mentioned it, lightning does all those things.

but there are certainly many who have concerns over whether their vehicle will be the next time they go to get in it.
It’s just a car, that’s why we have insurance. It’s easier to pay a couple hundred extra every year to cover the losses than it is to worry about it.
 flyin-high
Msg: 27 (view)

Posted: 1/7/2010 10:43:00 AM
The chances of being killed by a car thief are about the same as dying from a vaccination shot.

On average, 7 people are killed every year in Canada in high speed chases (not all were stolen vehicles), by comparison, lightning strikes are also responsible for 7 deaths.

It must be horrible to go through life living in fear of improbable, rare, dubious and very unlikely situations.
 flyin-high
Msg: 33 (view)

A CURE for MS !!
Posted: 12/22/2009 4:15:10 PM
Since you mentioned it Dano, In December 2009 they started a massive immunization program in Afghanistan… apparently they get to be the guinea pigs for a “new and improved” polio vaccine, although I’m not sure what was wrong with the old one that the rest of us got.

Afghanistan has about 30 cases of polio every year, in an effort to reduce this, 2.8 million children under the age of 5 will be immunized. The drug companies report , 1 in 125,000 children will suffer adverse side effects from the vaccine, that’s about 22 kids. In addition, 1 in one million will die from the vaccine, that’s about 3 kids. Considering that polio vaccines are not 100% effective, I’m not so sure the cure is any better than the disease.

And we do all this so we can drop bombs on them later… makes sense to me.
 flyin-high
Msg: 13 (view)

The festival of the dolphin massacre
Posted: 11/27/2009 2:17:47 PM

would you mind providing me with some links/references that I can source that confirm what you are saying...that they are gaining food from this mass killing.
The Faroe Islands have also been purchasing whale meat from Iceland and Norway. If they’re purchasing from other countries, they’re not likely to be discarding their own.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/5319734.stm

While I’m not a huge fan of Wikipedia, they tried to be somewhat neutral in this article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaling_in_the_Faroe_Islands

And I have read in several places that the dolphin meat is not fit for human consumption because of mercury levels etc
You’re quite right. It is unfit for human consumption, as is whale meat. The chief medical officer in the Faroe Islands announced this in November 2008, but it’s only a recommendation, and it won’t be adopted by everybody. Much like smoking, we know it’s bad for us, but we do it anyways. I question how much impact this decision will have in the long run, as food was never the primary reason for whale hunting. There are still other uses for whales which are more profitable.

as I quoted earlier, it's messing with the gene pool.
This is where the problem begins. No one knows for sure what the population figures are, estimates vary widely, depending on who the source is.

Naamah, we both disagree with whale hunting, but we do so for different reasons. You’re motivated by the emotional, ethical and moral side. While for me, it’s just another unnecessary industry which exists only because it can turn a profit.

The problem with making it an emotional and moral issue is that only animals which are cute or perceived to be friendly to humans will receive protection. Ever since the 60’s TV show Flipper, dauphins have been near and dear to our hearts. On the other hand, the 1970’s film Jaws, created a public relations disaster for sharks, and today they are killed by the millions for nothing but their fins.

They round up entire pods with motor boats, into a shallow bay, and jump in and slash them to death with metal hooks. I guess at least there are no family members left to grieve for each other after they are finally all dead, but horror aside...
I love those visuals! :)

flyin-high
Msg: 8 (view)

G. Edward Griffin's A World Without Cancer - The Story Of Vitamin B-17
Posted: 11/25/2009 12:23:55 PM
In the 1800’s when the snake oil salesman rolled into town, the crowds would gather around and listen to a carefully worded speech about his latest ointment, which promised nothing but implied that it might cure everything from male pattern baldness to tuberculosis. There would always be a few people suspicious of such claims, but the snake oil salesman was prepared by having his own people in the crowd ready to provide testimonials and contradict the nay sayers.

The scary thing is these sales tactics have crept into mainstream medicine, everything from cancer treatment centers to muti national pharmaceuticals are making claims that if you buy their services or drugs, your chances of survival will increase substantially, and once again, they promise nothing, but imply everything.

Long live the snake oil salesman!

I’m kinda curious if Australia has very many of these ads running on tv? In Canada their rather infrequent compared to the Americans who are completely bombarded with drug advertising.
 flyin-high
Msg: 9 (view)

The festival of the dolphin massacre
Posted: 11/24/2009 3:30:57 PM
After I read the original post, I had visions of men running around a beach stabbing whales with harpoons and simultaneously letting out one those mad man laughs (MUUHAHAHA), after which they go home to check if their penis’s have gotten bigger from the exercise. All the while, everything is left on the beach to rot.

I don't know how I have lived for 41 years without having ever heard of this before
Probably because the story you read is somewhat slanted, and second, the Faroe Islanders are one of the smaller offenders, they kill less than a 1000 Pilot whales every year. Iceland, Norway and Japan account for over 30,000.

Do they do it for food? Nope.
They do use it for food, but the valuable part is the fat.

It’s rather hard to believe that any sane person would devote that much time, effort and money, half a dozen times every year, into an activity which produces no financial gain. To suggest the people of the Faroe Islands are ritualistic and sadistic killers, is nothing more than animal activist propaganda. Although, the whale hunts have been going on for centuries, it’s more about money than ritual. Ritual, much like religion at times, is nothing more than rationalization for monetary gains.

The Japanese have no such ritual to fall back on, so in an effort to circumvent fishing restrictions they refer to the whale hunt as a “scientific research project”.
 flyin-high
Msg: 44 (view)

Freddo Frogs
Posted: 11/23/2009 12:52:42 PM

Wow, we had it all wrong with that death penalty thing for murder.
Yes, you had it all wrong… implementing the death penalty would result in more murders.

It was very difficult to get a conviction for a capital murder trial, because juries were very hesitant to pronounce anyone guilty, if they were wrong, they would be responsible for the death of an innocent man. Once they were relieved of such a responsibility it became a lot easier to say guilty, as a result, the conviction rate nearly doubled.

Once the death penalty was abolished in Australia and Canada, the murder rate dropped almost 20% over the next 10 years because you were more likely to be found guilty… and yet people still keep insisting the death penalty is an appropriate solution.

So LESS punishment is MORE effective in preventing crime.
In some circumstances, that appears to be the case. If someone came up with a punishment for the 12 year old which didn’t involve the court system, this wouldn’t have turned into a media circus, and the boy may have received some punishment and learned a lesson.

In the end, we have taught a 12 year old boy, if you scream “racism” loud enough, you just might get away with it!
 flyin-high
Msg: 17 (view)

legal query
Posted: 11/19/2009 1:29:02 AM

I didn't have any camera handy
Lemme guess, you forgot where you put it.
 flyin-high
Msg: 13 (view)

legal query
Posted: 11/17/2009 2:39:41 PM

Btw flyin, can you direct us to any threads you started here? Just curious.
You’ve asked that question before… see msg #13 for further advice.
 flyin-high
Msg: 11 (view)

legal query
Posted: 11/17/2009 1:03:46 PM

I suppose there isn't any protction in place so the witness' testimony can't be used as evidence against them in a seperate trial.
Read msg #2… you should consider getting checked for Alzheimer’s, or possibly ADD... if it's neither of those, just try to improve your reading skills.
 flyin-high

When is it time to give up???
Posted: 11/10/2009 1:08:26 PM
To give up would mean you have put in some effort, and have come to the realization that your efforts are not being rewarded.

POF is just a dating site, your efforts are limited to nothing more than writing a few emails. That being said, you have to ask yourself, how much reward am I expecting for writing a few emails? As a general rule in life, you get what you give, if you’re expecting more than that, you’re going to be disappointed.

Now i have sat back and had alook at what i have done...
The obvious question is, what exactly have you done, besides writing a few emails?
 flyin-high
Msg: 52 (view)

H1N1 vaccine. Are you getting a shot?
Posted: 11/10/2009 11:28:30 AM
There was a study released in September 2009, done by the British Columbia Center for Disease Control which suggests that people who have had the regular seasonal flu shot are twice as likely to contract H1N1. Apparently the cells which produce antibodies to fight off H1N1 are preoccupied by the seasonal flu vaccine. Six provinces suspended their seasonal flu shot program as a result.

In an effort to avoid the seasonal flu, people have made themselves more susceptible to H1N1… I can’t wait to find out what the H1N1 vaccine makes us susceptible to.

flyin-high
Msg: 36 (view)

H1N1 vaccine. Are you getting a shot?
Posted: 11/9/2009 2:15:20 PM

It bothers me when people say that the H1N1 story is being blown way out of proportion. It is hard to know at this point in time. The story has just begun and the action has just begun to unfold. Wait and watch.
There is absolutely nothing new about H1N1.

H1N1 has been in North America since 1976, and so has the vaccine. It’s nothing more than a mutation of the bird flu which has been around since the late 50’s, which also has a vaccine.

Although there are variations from year to year, the number of people affected by the virus has remained quite consistent for the past 30 years, and this past year was no exception. There is even some evidence which indicates that more people may have been infected in 2007 & 2008.

Which begs the questions… why is it such a big deal in 2009?
 flyin-high
Msg: 28 (view)

Defence lawyers say the stupidest things...
Posted: 11/9/2009 12:01:05 PM
Well obviously you can’t be Spider Man. I was thinking Super Susan CD, you wouldn’t need tall buildings because one of your super powers could be the ability to fly. You could rid the city of every teenager wearing baggy pants and a crooked ball cap on his head.

Along with the ability to fly, you would fling your stuffed bra at car thieves which would knock them unconscious till police arrived. You could put a pair of panties on every criminal you catch (boxers if they happen to be female), and make sure you leave a card saying “courtesy of your friendly neighborhood cross dresser” .
 flyin-high
Msg: 4 (view)

It's a *shoe-in
Posted: 11/9/2009 11:03:24 AM

if a potential he really is The Handsome Prince, he'll turn up with a hot pair of Manolo Blahniks ... in our exact size.
Blahniks are so cliché and over rated. If Prince Charming gave Cinderella a pair of Jimmy Choos she never would have ran off before the stroke of midnight… he could have spared himself the search and would have gotten laid that night… he would have been a Choo in.
 flyin-high
Msg: 26 (view)

Posted: 11/9/2009 2:23:15 AM

Knowing I could have stopped the thief but didn't would make me feel guilty
Peter Parker couldn’t live with the guilt. Are you gonna be Winnipeg’s next super hero?, after all, you already got the cape.
 flyin-high
Msg: 55 (view)

FLU CLINICS CLOSING
Posted: 11/3/2009 12:58:55 PM

It has nothing to do with investigative reporting. It has to do with me not being a frikkin coroner, so I have to accept what an EXPERT deems as the truth.
The problem is, the experts don’t know what the truth is… the truth keeps changing because the criteria as to what constitutes a “flu related death” keeps changing.

Previous to 2003, between 500 and 1500 (depending on how you define flu related) Canadians died every year of the flu. Since 2004, between 700 and 2500 Canadians died of the flu, not because the flu virus is more prevalent, but because they changed criteria as to what constitutes “flu related”.

What we do know:

Swine flu first appeared in 1976, and a vaccine was available the same year. It’s nothing more than a mutation of the bird flu, which we’ve had a vaccine for since the early 60’s.

The death rate from influenza fluctuates but has remained fairly constant over the last 50 years. There is even some evidence that flu deaths for 2009 are less than 2007 and 2008.

There will be approximately 100 deaths from H1N1 in Canada for 2009, various other flu strains will kill 400+ Canadians.

All of which begs the question… Why is H1N1 such a big deal this year?

flyin-high
Msg: 10 (view)

Posted: 11/3/2009 11:49:39 AM

Looks like the lawyer said it; and I never saw a retraction in the paper stating the lawyer was misquoted.
That’s either a comment from a facetious and sarcastic individual, or from someone who reads at a fourth grade level.
 flyin-high

Pandemic swine flu-someting to ponder or NOT
Posted: 10/30/2009 3:00:28 PM

I doubt the companies involved would make the vaccine unless they had a guarantee from the feds
The swine flu vaccine was developed in 1976, and it’s nothing more than a slight modification of the bird flu vaccine which was developed in the late 1950’s - early 60’s

The modification process is quite simple, all flu vaccines are essentially the same, they just keep adding the DNA from which ever animal is infected… When you get the flu shot, their essentially shooting bird and pig DNA into your body.
 flyin-high
Msg: 5 (view)

Pandemic swine flu-someting to ponder or NOT
Posted: 10/30/2009 10:30:40 AM

if the vaccine is produced & shipped ( which it has been)
It hasn’t been produced or shipped, at least not enough to do the majority of the population… so we haven’t paid for it yet.

Like any other product, it’s released in small quantities and then the manufacturer sets out on a media campaign to promote it, the drug companies have to create a demand first. If their lucky, the campaign will reach critical mass, at which point they can sit back and watch it fly off the shelves.

A lot of drugs are also sold on a consignment basis, which means if doesn’t get used, it’s sent back to the manufacturer for refund, although this usually only applies to high volume pills.
 flyin-high
Msg: 24 (view)

Strangers on the net, exchanging details
Posted: 10/29/2009 12:43:53 PM

Why does it matter if some stranger agrees with a decision to perhaps "kick him to the curb" or whatever the resultant thread consensus is...cos, errm, they all might be wrong too.
They all probably will be wrong, because their opinions are usually based on nothing more than a paragraph or two of biased information… but that’s not the point of the exercise.

The main reason for seeking validation is to avoid accepting full responsibility for our actions incase we’re wrong. It’s much easier to make wrong decisions if others confirm those decisions… doctors do it all the time.

The usefulness of the whole exercise boils down to how accurate and detailed the information is when we ask the opinion of others, if it’s biased and one sided, all we’ve really achieved is self delusion.

flyin-high
Msg: 6 (view)

Strangers on the net, exchanging details
Posted: 10/28/2009 3:34:00 PM

Interesting reading, but what inspires the authors to ask for advice from strangers?
Their not really looking for advice, their looking for validation and empathy.

For advice to be truly useful, you would have to know the perspective of the person offering it, which entails having some detailed knowledge of the individual. On the other hand, validation is nothing more than a pat on the back along with a “good boy, you’re doing the right thing” type comment… which is sometimes nice to hear, even if it’s from a complete stranger.
 flyin-high

Hoarders...feedback please
Posted: 10/23/2009 1:48:51 PM
Paneling is also a good way to have someone committed if you want control of their finances.
 flyin-high
Msg: 15 (view)

Is the government making people lazy?
Posted: 10/14/2009 11:10:05 AM
The nature of capitalism entails having people at the top, middle, and bottom of the wage scale. We are all taught if you work hard enough, you will get to the middle or the top, unfortunately, that’s simply not true. We can’t all be middle or upper class, someone has to do the low paying jobs and those people will always be at the bottom of the list.

Whether its lack of effort, lack of knowledge, fear of failure or simply a conscious choice not to participate in the rat race, is all rather irrelevant, there will always be a segment of the population which doesn’t like the rules of capitalism.

History has taught us if the peasant class is very unhappy, there will be a revolution and someone will be screaming “off with their heads”. Welfare money is little more than a payoff to prevent a revolution… King Louis and Marie Atoinette learned this lesson the hard way.

Maybe government welfare and various other payouts do encourage a bit of laziness, but it seems like a small price to pay compared to the alternative.
 flyin-high
Msg: 18 (view)

in what way are australian women different to women of other cultures?
Posted: 10/8/2009 1:54:20 PM

I would be most curious to hear about these old ways of courtship that worked so well in the golden times

At one time men could simply club a woman over the head and just drag her back to the cave, unfortunately this practice was largely abandoned during the Neolithic revolution. As society progressed and grew more complex, the necessity for trade arose, it was realized that women could be used as barter, a wife could be purchased from her father for a very small price (usually 2 chickens and a goat). This was mans first mistake, for they had unwittingly and unknowingly admitted that women had value. This grave error in judgment would eventually lead to the suffragette movement of the early 20’th century, which culminated in the dreaded feminist movement of the late 20’th century.

So, here we are today, men and women living in a society as equals. Of course, this only applies to 15% of nations which are industrialized, and religion is not of paramount importance. If you live in the other 85%, you would be well served to own a club along with a few chickens and goats.

In the past 10,000 years, we’ve advanced how we live, so drastically that we’re capable of travelling millions of miles through space… yet, how we behave has advanced mere inches.

flyin-high
Msg: 25 (view)

Posted: 10/1/2009 9:22:47 PM

they both say one who has COMMITTED a crime, conviction isn't necessary
Conviction and proof have never been important aspects for you, it’s the punishment that counts… I can just imagine what you would do to that naughty boy.

K… back to the important part of the thread

( I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt & assume you meant a post-op transexual, not a post-op transvestite)
I’m not sure what I meant, that stuff always confuses me.

What do you call it when a guy gets all the appropriate female body parts installed, but only dresses like a woman half the time?

flyin-high
Msg: 20 (view)

Posted: 10/1/2009 9:59:54 AM

video avalable for viewing at www. etc etc"
Internet porn standards are fairly high these days… a grainy video of some guy jerking off sounds kinda lame.

You need to throw in a St. Bernard, a can of Crisco oil, a vacuum cleaner, a coat hanger, a post operative transvestite along with a half dozen midget female mud wrestlers… now ya got yourself a video.

flyin-high
Msg: 16 (view)

Posted: 9/30/2009 9:31:19 PM
The only thing we disagree on is the definition of the word criminal

I prefer the legal definition of the word, as recognized by various courts across Canada. Whereas you prefer the fascist, Nazi, Quaker, puritan definition… ya know… burn the witch first and ask questions later.

Do you realize that you’ve managed to make 5 posts in a row without mentioning car thieves… I think you’re getting soft.
 flyin-high
Msg: 52 (view)

Wheres your sense of Humour?
Posted: 9/30/2009 9:01:54 PM
Describing a 14 year old girl as sexy will unleash the Hippocratic wrath of moralists everywhere. You’re giving them the perfect opportunity to display their moral superiority.

The joke really isn’t funny, but watching the moralists squirm is.
 flyin-high
Msg: 14 (view)

Posted: 9/30/2009 8:42:42 PM

From all appearances we can't count on the legal system to deal with the criminals.
Your consistency and persistence is second to none… now if you could only put that stubbornness to good instead of evil.

flyin-high
Msg: 9 (view)

hand sanitizers
Posted: 9/30/2009 10:51:57 AM
^^^^^^^^
You’re not the only one, I would get yelled at if I came home bleeding… letting the dog lick the wound clean before going home seemed like a perfectly good medical treatment.
 flyin-high

Posted: 9/30/2009 10:30:46 AM

Have you seen the video?
No I haven’t, is there any footage of her 19 & 20 year old daughters in their bedrooms?
 flyin-high
Msg: 5 (view)

Posted: 9/30/2009 9:23:13 AM
Cops, lawyers, judges, cameras… Wouldn’t it have been easier to just close the curtains?

Of course, closing the curtains would mean that this woman would have no excitement in her otherwise very boring life, and she wouldn’t be getting the attention that she’s getting now… I guess the peeping neighbor just couldn’t satisfy her.
 flyin-high
Msg: 3 (view)

Culture in Australia. Is there any?
Posted: 9/28/2009 9:16:53 PM
Cultural identity is something that takes centuries to form, Australia just hasn’t been around long enough to develop a sharp distinction from its European back ground. Canada lacks that same identity… although you would never know it if you asked a Frenchman or an Aboriginal.

What role do the 'arts' play in the cultural life (and/or history) of a nation? If any.
Most Americans couldn’t tell you the capital of Australia, but they all know Mel Gibson, AC-DC and Men At Work. Art can spark an interest, education is what happens when the interest is maintained. I don’t think anyone needs a history lesson on the importance of the Renaissance and how it dragged us out of the dark ages.

And what about sex? Can it be related in some way to this topic at all?
I’m sure you meant that as a rhetorical question, because anybody with a penis knows what the answer is… It’s ALWAYS about sex.

Example: The renaissance was the result of peoples growing intolerance of the church and it’s over bearing control of people’s sex life… after the renaissance, sex wasn’t just for procreation anymore.

disclaimer: some of the above comments should be disregarded as they are from an oversexed male who hasn’t seen a naked woman in over 7 weeks

flyin-high
Msg: 98 (view)

Tasers - should they be allowed?
Posted: 9/25/2009 10:46:31 AM

Interesting though, that when Noxious presented an extreme from the other side, where a police officer loses an arm...some posters were simply unable to offer an ounce of compassion or empathy... but the severed arm ... how the hell do you ignore the severed arm in that story?
I ignored the severed arm because that incident had absolutely nothing to do with tasers. Noxious Hysteria’s post served no purpose other than to further polarize the thread and feed the myth that tasers are a replacement for guns.

Noxious mentioned that police could have used a taser instead of a gun if they had one available, that’s simply WRONG. When there are lives at stake, they use their guns, and they’re well within their right to do so. Tasers are only used when there is no immediate threat of harm.

The misconception that tasers can save lives because police won’t use their guns, is one of the points used to defend the use of tasers when they do kill people… unfortunately this is nothing but a myth, and myth’s don’t save lives.

Tasers slow people down, but they don’t always stop them. If someone comes at you with a knife, you don’t want to slow them down, you want to stop them. Tasers may look like guns, but they are meant to be a replacement for the baton not the gun. Police generally wouldn’t use a baton to defend themselves against someone wielding and a knife and an axe, and they also wouldn’t use a taser.

I also keep getting this Python’esque vision of limbs dropping off from one swing of the sword. Anybody who has ever butchered a farm animal knows that it’s a rather difficult task to sever a limb, even with a very heavy cleaver and very sturdy table… I think something is missing from Noxious Hysteria’s post.
 flyin-high
Msg: 92 (view)

Posted: 9/24/2009 8:37:11 PM

Yet I've had to defend myself against being portrayed as a cop hater? Huh?
Obviously you’re not a cop hater, nor am I. Even though I only presented one side of the story, it doesn’t mean that I don’t understand the other.

People with extreme views always tend to get the most support from one side or the other because they have a great deal of passion and emotion tied into their opinion, which naturally appeals to human nature.

Oddly enough, sensible individuals who present a balanced opinion based on facts and logic tend to be marginalized because they don’t appeal to either side.

flyin-high
Msg: 55 (view)

The CBC love it or hate it or do we need it?
Posted: 9/24/2009 2:30:13 PM
It’s hard to defend the CBC from a financial stand point, like any other government run business, they simply waste money.

It’s hard to discern a CBC production from that of other Canadian broadcasters, but that’s only because the CBC sets the standard which all others follow, this is especially noticeable watching the news. CBC is what keeps our news reporting from turning into FOX style news reporting. While all other broadcasters make decisions largely based on ratings, CBC does not. I suppose if you like sensationalized FOX style news, you won’t appreciate what the CBC does.

I’ve had both Canadian and US satellite feeds for over 12 years. After you watch both, the differences in programming and content are quite apparent, a lot of those differences are due to the CBC. Like many other things in life, there’s a price to pay if you want to be different.

It’s also a little known fact that in the 70’s and 80’s, the rise of stars like Rita McNeil, Ann Wilson, John Candy and to a lesser degree Luba, were a large driving force in the development of the wide screen TV… you should be thanking them.
 flyin-high
Msg: 77 (view)

Posted: 9/24/2009 1:15:49 AM

if a tazer is only being used in extreme circumstances instead of the gun, pushing the gun further up the list of extremes before it would be used, then it's a step forward.
That would be a step forward, unfortunately that statement reflects a misconception which the police themselves like to perpetuate.

Tasers were never intended to replace the gun, they were intended to be an electronic baton with the added benefit of having a 10 meter range. Guns are drawn when there is an immediate threat of serious harm to the public or police. Tasers are used when the threat of harm isn’t immediate... This is where the controversy begins since everyone has their own definition of the words “threat” and “immediate”.

if it's going to be used as a standard form of greeting, to wake up homeless people, and those other horrifying examples given since I last posted (assuming they are indeed a true representation of what happened)
I’ll admit that I picked rather extreme examples, as I’m sure that most officers have more sense than this… but the jist of those incidences is quite true.

flyin-high
Msg: 72 (view)

Posted: 9/23/2009 12:58:50 PM
It’s not the use of tasers that creates controversy, it’s the misuse.

25 out of the 26 deaths were tasered multiple times, one individual got zapped 12 times before he died. Do we really need to train police that sticking forks and spoons into the power outlet on the wall isn’t a good idea? If police hit an individual with a club 12 times and he dies, it would result in brutality charges. Yet when a taser is used, everyone is surprised and dumbfounded as to how such a thing could happen.

A few excerpts from a list almost 1300 complaints long:
15 year old boy tasered for skipping school
Bed ridden 82 year old man tasered in a nursing home (he did have one of those white plastic knifes in his hand)
3 incidences of police using tasers to “wake up” homeless people sleeping on the side walk
Over 20 incidences of mentally ill people being tazered
And my personal favorite, police responded to call where a man was found unconscious, so they decided to use a tazer in an effort to revive him.

By the way, inquests were held for 15 out of the 26 deaths (the rest are still pending). In 5 cases it was found that drugs were factor, the remainder were due to various medical conditions… In all cases, it was found that the taser was not the primary cause of death.

If the police simply said “we screwed up and we’re sorry” I could live with that, everyone makes mistakes, but when they make up excuses and wrap them under the guise of public safety and legality, it becomes a little harder to tell the good guys from the bad guys.

This misuse of a perfectly good tool will continue as long as the public believes that 50,000 volts is nothing to worry about… after all, a taser has never killed anyone in Canada.

flyin-high
Msg: 50 (view)

Posted: 9/21/2009 12:10:16 PM
Here are a few stats from a Canadian.

26 taser deaths In Canada since 2001.
In 22 of those incidences, the victims were completely unarmed.
In 10 of those incidences, the victims were already in handcuffs.

Police across Canada fire their tasers about 1100 times per year, less than 10% of those individuals are charged with anything more than a minor misdemeanor, 20% are not charged at all.

I’m all for giving the police the best tools available to get the job done, but it’s hard to stand behind them with those figures.

Maybe Australian police will be more sensible.
 flyin-high
Msg: 30 (view)

Random acts of Kindness....
Posted: 9/17/2009 2:03:56 PM

I think I like to be acknowledged for this kind of stuff.......but I've come to understand that as my ego acting up......so I can just try to practice that kind of behavior without having any expectations.
Chuck, I understand what you and Dudley are saying that it somehow cheapens the act of kindness when you have expectations. I believe what you’re experiencing is the inherit guilt associated with religious moral teachings. Regardless if you’ve ever seen the inside of a church or not, most of us grew up with these teachings, they are a part of societal beliefs which no one questions. Being a martyr or a missionary is highly regarded among the religious crowd, but they have no place in a healthy society which seeks equality for all individuals.

All relationships between individuals (family, friends, husbands, wives or just associates) need some degree of equality. If there is no equality, sooner or later, you’re going to feel used and you're going to say, F uck it!. To deny that fact is nothing more than a claim that your behavior is morally above that of everyone else.

Feeding your ego while making someone else happy seems like the way to go, after all, you’re making two people happy instead of one… how can that be bad?
 flyin-high
Msg: 3 (view)

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet
Posted: 9/15/2009 8:36:12 PM

how can such a romantic single act of thanks be taken so wrong. Is it the color meaning behind the rose?
There’s a color meaning?… I learn something new every day.

Top 3 reasons guys don’t like roses.
1. It implies that the relationship is more serious than the guy wants it to be.
2. The dude you’re giving them to just isn’t into symbolism.
3. Slight case of homophobia kicking in (flowers are kinda gay).

Next time, try giving a condom in a rose shaped wrapper… you’ll get a much more positive response.
 flyin-high
Msg: 21 (view)

when is it racism ?
Posted: 9/4/2009 11:05:54 PM

Either is rephrensible, and both would be forcing secularism upon an individual of a religious group.
Why is it reprehensible and what’s wrong with forcing secularism on positions of public authority? We expect Christian cops to disobey one of the top 10 rules namley “thou shall not kill”. Ok, so it’s not an exact parallel, but none the less, the expectation to bend the religious rules is there for everyone, not just the Sikhs.

Canada must be great country, because our court system has nothing better to do than dictate what kind of laundry were’re allowed to wear.

Somewhere along the way, wearing the wrong laundry became racism.

flyin-high
Msg: 31 (view)

What would you do if you saw a parent hitting their child forcefully as you were working?
Posted: 9/1/2009 7:07:26 PM

These procedures can get undone once you prove you are capable of living on your own, maintain a steady job, no prior criminal record and that you take many courses
If you apply that criteria, the poor and the underprivileged would never be allowed to have children… we would end up reducing society to the point where only the wealthy and affluent would be allowed to breed.

The majority of people working minimum wage wouldn’t qualify to have kids, neither would 70% of the Aboriginal people which live on reserves… I’d like to see the expression on their faces after you break the news to them.

I’ll admit that our society isn’t perfect but, do you really want to live in the kind of world I mentioned above. Wealth, social standing and education are NO guarantee to being a good parent, so what would you really be accomplishing?

Silent guardian, don’t me wrong… I have nothing against forced sterilization, I just haven’t heard a convincing argument as to how this procedure will improve society instead of degrading it.

Be careful what you ask for…
 flyin-high
Msg: 17 (view)

Did you know? (New Law Passed June 12 2009)
Posted: 8/13/2009 9:44:10 AM

Another problem with cell phones is the duration of the distraction.
The duration will remain the same, we can still talk and drive, you just can’t get caught holding it in your hand (as opposed to a cup of coffee or a slurpee)… instead of fumbling for the phone, we can fumble for our ear piece.

As far as texting goes… don’t hold the phone at the top of the steering wheel so you can see the road at the same time, hold the phone close to your lap so no one else can see it.

It’s only illegal if you get caught!

flyin-high
Msg: 73 (view)

MTS or Shaw??
Posted: 8/12/2009 10:19:55 AM
I was kinda surprised that someone actually pays attention to complaints… you learn something new every day.
 flyin-high
Msg: 71 (view)

MTS or Shaw??
Posted: 8/11/2009 8:10:04 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Let me get this straight, you sent a letter of complaint to the CRTC, to inform them, that MTS expects their customers to pay the bill on time?... and in turn, the CRTC guilted MTS into giving you three free months… nice

Show ALL Forums