Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Need help-- something is getting into my acccounts.
 jaxflorida
Msg: 6 (view)

Need help-- something is getting into my acccounts.
Posted: 9/11/2011 1:04:39 PM
I do appreaciate all the links and suggestions. :)

What should I use (download) to get rid of malware/spyware causing these things to happen to begin with?

My ISP is supposed to have all things covering these type of issues. ISP may not be doing good job with security issues. TY again and thanks for your patience. A little un-nerving mysterious things on.
 jaxflorida
Msg: 5 (view)

Posted: 9/11/2011 11:00:29 AM
Today Facebook said: " Your account is temporarily locked.
We've temporarily locked your account so no one else can log in as you. To regain access, please complete this quick security check.
now create new psswrd. "

Facebook never sent emails or messges relating to spam. Only gmail. I can deal with Gmail. Facebook notice is what upsets me. I was online in FB at the time this notice came up and was sending a PM to a friend on Facebook. :)
 jaxflorida
Msg: 4 (view)

Posted: 9/11/2011 10:53:44 AM
Appreciate info. Gmail was one concern but my Facebook account said things I mentioned above that scared me. I have anti-virus. I'll look more at your links. :)

Still don't know how a stranger/computer would know my passwords since I use diff ones for All sites. ? Plus I don't store them.

Your helpful links talked @ emails sending spam messages. More worried @ Facebook right now. FB wasn't sending things. ) Gmail was. :) Then again nothing should be Trying to send spam emails from me.

jaxflorida
Msg: 3 (view)

Posted: 9/11/2011 10:42:45 AM
Sorry- another thought. I use different passwords for each account. Meaning Gmail is diff than Facebook. How can someone know my passwords?
 jaxflorida
Msg: 2 (view)

Posted: 9/11/2011 10:37:57 AM
Meant to mention when Gmail was sending things to address book I had NOT been in Gmail anytime recent to that. It was @ week or more afterwards Google gave notice my account had suspcicious activity and need to change things when I tried to login.
 jaxflorida
Msg: 1 (view)

Posted: 9/11/2011 10:29:40 AM
This includes my Gmail and Facebook accounts. POF seems fine.
I don't store passwords. I'm the only one using my computer. I never give out passwords.

1) Something got into my Gmail and sent emails to people in address book for sex-related items.

2) Today Facebook said: " Your account is temporarily locked.
We've temporarily locked your account so no one else can log in as you. To regain access, please complete this quick security check.
now create new psswrd. "

I'm currently changing passwords for Any accounts I have.

How do people/computers get passwords for accounts. What is going on? TY for any info.

Afraid to give system info at this point Even browser I use. Hope you don't need this info.
 jaxflorida

ethernet port
Posted: 5/16/2011 5:57:57 AM
Meant to add: While using Wired router ipconfig said "no connection".
 jaxflorida

ethernet port
Posted: 5/16/2011 5:09:36 AM
Is it possible when Mcaffe downloaded and installed an update it would close my ethernet port?

Strange how last night internet was fine using a Wired router but this morning after Mcaffe did the update messages came up saying "No internet connection .. cable is unplugged etc." Unfortunately this morning I wasn't on internet before update.

My isp came out, ran tests, used a meter box and said router was ok. He said I had to go wireless and used a usb port for the Adapter. Windows XP device Manager says port is working fine.

Computer is only 2 yrs. old. Unfortuantely the ethernet port is on-board card.

How can a port go bad over night? Mcaffee do something? What about what Device manager said?

Appreciate opinions.
 jaxflorida
Msg: 32 (view)

Site Hacked? Usernames/Passwords/Emails Stolen?
Posted: 2/2/2011 8:37:41 AM

OK so some 345 accounts have been hacked. I would think that Markus would contact those affected, right? I haven't received anything from Markus so should I assume that my account wasn't compromised?

Good question
 jaxflorida
Msg: 28 (view)

Site Hacked? Usernames/Passwords/Emails Stolen?
Posted: 2/1/2011 1:06:52 PM
Now I know why people had to reset passwords recently. There is a thread in Help forum regarding this. At the time it seemed nobody knew why anyone had to do this.

Please-- for now on when problems occur don't say BigFish and/or Marcus is the Only one operating, maintaining, etc.. the site and that 1 person can't fix problems as they occur for users. In Help forum I have often seen this reason given.

From Marcus's blog on wordpress:

"The breach was sealed in minutes and the Plentyoffish team ..."
Who is the team? How many of them are there?

"I have my COO call and find out what’s up".
Someone else is mentioned.

"Then I have my director of engineering call Chris."
Another person is mentioned.

"I stay up all night in Miami with other members of the team."
How many are on the team?

Guess Marcus/BigFish is not the only one running or maintaining the site as people think.

** What sign or indication can users see that indicates our accounts have been at risk?
 jaxflorida

site attack message?
Posted: 1/27/2011 11:06:50 AM
Thanks for the answers. After more research on this I think Google and FF are doing a good thing for giving notices like that.
 jaxflorida

site attack message?
Posted: 1/26/2011 6:29:18 PM
I have win xp. Browser is Mozilla FF 3.6.13. My security is McAffee suite with firewall, virus scan etc.. provided by my ISP.

Once in awhile I will be on Google searching for something. I'm not logged into any area of POF so I know it's not POF giving me this message.

Today I tried visiting a site Google had listed in search results for images. I was looking for an image of an Ant. As soon as I got there a message came up "site attack". It was Not a pop-up as far as I could tell. I immediately closed the browser for internet connections so I don't know what the rest of it said.

1) Are these true messages and what do they mean?

2) What is going on when I see this message?

3) Who is giving me this message? My browser, security suite or other?

4) Assume I should have closed my browser. Seemed to make sense.

Thank goodness this doesn't happen often because it worries me. It does Not only happen in "image" searches. Sometimes it happens on the main search page for sites.

Appreciate any opinions or answers.
 jaxflorida

Fake user / scammer?
Posted: 1/19/2011 2:48:09 PM

Can't believe scammers can also find their way to POF!!!

Why would that be surprising? POF isn't invincible. Scammers are on most sites.
 jaxflorida

Wants to Meet notification error?
Posted: 1/19/2011 2:32:46 PM
Good question. You're not being silly. I get them too.
 jaxflorida
Msg: 7 (view)

New Feature Chat Now
Posted: 1/10/2011 7:21:19 AM

The problems I see with this implementation is clicking the link automatically adds you to the list of users looking for a chat,.... I think it would be better tobe able to add yourself to the list by clicking a button once on then you can atleast see whos up for a chat.

I saw a button above the user list that said "Remove me from the list".
 jaxflorida
Msg: 6 (view)

New Feature Chat Now
Posted: 1/10/2011 7:14:34 AM
Doesn't look like a chat room to me. Just a "list" of people adding themselves to it letting others know they are available. Glad to see certain choices such as age etc can be put in.

Also noticed this
"10 minutes after adding yourself you will drop off this list. " That can be good if people don't stay online long.

jaxflorida

jacksonville and areas close by
Posted: 1/6/2011 1:37:05 PM
Come on in and say Hello.

Maybe we can get an event going. Any suggestions? I'd help organize it.

Riding horses on the beach sounds good. Think I might know a place for it. As usual weather could determine whatever we do out side.
 jaxflorida

Asking for second date after 1st call from the first?
Posted: 1/6/2011 12:56:14 PM
OP said:

" I had to kind of cut things short, I had to be somewhere else and not a lot of time to get there. I told her this. At the end she seemed somewhat closed up. Wasn’t sure why at the time. "

Where else did you have to go.? She might have taken it to think you were meeting or seeing another woman.

Did you explain why you had to cut things short?
 jaxflorida
Msg: 18 (view)

a unique situation?
Posted: 1/6/2011 12:49:36 PM

Honestly, some people don't pay much attention to who they're clicking on meet me, so don't pay too much attention to that.

If you're really interested in her, try one more message. Make the subject catchy, we women get tired of unoriginal messages. If she doesn't respond to the second message, move on to someone else. Good luck

Agree with this answer.
 jaxflorida

new TV ads. not exactly truthful.
Posted: 1/4/2011 7:00:07 AM
@ Cowboy
Appreciate your comments. I'm not trying to be negative. Just realistic. Actually POF is Not 100% free. Isn't that realistic?
 jaxflorida

new TV ads. not exactly truthful.
Posted: 1/4/2011 5:41:34 AM

But I think the bigger question is, considering POF reached the point of being the "most visited internet dating site in the world" without any traditional media campaigns whatsoever, why suddenly bother spending millions to increase traffic by what's likely to be a highly disproportionate amount?

Even though nothing has been said yet I'm thinking more Paid Features are coming in the future. Updates or changes are usually a surprise. Therefor tv ads are being used.
 jaxflorida
Msg: 121 (view)

Gold Fish required now to see sent message status? READ THIS !!!
Posted: 12/16/2010 2:38:56 PM

you want a better site try "date hook up dot com" its free and you can do so much more there you can have colors, a music play list your pictures are better looking then in plenty of fish you need a magnifying glass to view some of these, as for date hook up its HTML coded so your in charge in how you want your layout to be and its all FREE FREE FREE Get it Markus FREE when you change things people get upset...

Agree the above mentioned "other" site has it's advantages. Forums are active and moderated. Therefore nicer to each other. I've seen threads disappear were bashing was going on etc.. Forums have a large subject matter to choose from. Even each State, UK, interests groups have a place to interact. There's even a Farmers group (for example).

POF may have a larger user base of members but the "other" site has good things about it also.
 jaxflorida
Msg: 118 (view)

Posted: 12/15/2010 2:50:07 PM
At http://www.plentyoffish.com header says "Free Online Dating".

Most dating sites say this. It means Free to sign up. Only until you are member of any site is when you discover Not Everything is Free. Meaning certain features they don't talk about on home pages are Not disclosed as paying features until you sign up and start using it.

In my opinion any site, including POF who states "Free" is deceiving. You sign up, become a member then find out all features are Not free.

The word Free draws people in and probably good for getting members (but false) advertising or statements.

I'm not too concerned about the New Paying feature to see if emails are read. I'm more concerned about More Paying features coming in the future we don't know about yet. It may take awhile but I see POF becoming more of a paid site for other features in the future.

I understand nobody except Big Fish knows what is coming in the future as far as paying for things. Changes are always surprises no matter what they are or when they happen.

Wonder when more features you have to pay for will stop POF from saying Free Dating Site? Maybe the header on the home page and other areas should say Free To Sign Up instead.

jaxflorida
Msg: 109 (view)

Posted: 12/10/2010 2:39:04 PM
I'm in agreement with others who say The Advertising on the internet and Heading on POF is misleading.

It's Not 100% free. Very misleading advertising and front page statements.
 jaxflorida
Msg: 108 (view)

Posted: 12/10/2010 2:28:14 PM
It seems Moderators who may be currently trying to date or meet someone are not affected by the paying system. Therefore they seem to back up Any POF policies.

If Everyone paid including Moderators maybe they would think differently. But of course Moderators probably get tons of emails. Whether it be tech questions or something else.

Maybe Moderators don't care if sent messages are read or not. As long as they answered someone that's all that matters.

In the meantime Moderators who seem single (no names mentioned) and want to possibly meet someone get the benefit of knowing if someone read their emails. Again, this is why Moderators are backing up POF policies.

In the future I foresee more payments required to use the system. I didn't give a date. I just see it coming. Again Moderators will back up policies because they are not paying it. They will give excuses or reasons for why it's a good thing to pay for.

Hilarious. Got a news flash for ya. Moderators get no benefits here. No free fishy credits. No thank you's, no christmas card, no anything.

And so far I don't need any fishy credits to buy a worthless optional feature. Because I won't pay a dime to see if my message is read or not. And is you had READ THIS THREAD you would know that. Only REPLIES that arrive in your inbox are important here. Once that message is sent forget about it.

Now I ask you this. How would you know if we were given fishy credits anyway? Oh yeah you don't actually have a clue. You made this whole post up. No proof of anything.

Both Global Mods here are single with dating profiles. Both posted here saying there was no need to see the status of a sent message. Why pay to see how you were REJECTED. Your whole post is a lie and easily proven if you haad read this thread at all.

Hardly "backing up POF policies" as you claim. Hell I wish he had just discontinued the thing entirely. All it did was cause problems problems for people who sit around staring at their sent messages for hours.

Now go find ONE post that either moderator made telling anyone it is a good thing to pay for this. You can't. I can show you at least a dozen times where I have explained why it is a useless feature that no one should pay for. You know reading comprehesion helps here in the forums. READ the thread instead of posting a bunch of crap you just made up next time OK?

Cowboy

jaxflorida

Online Now In My Area
Posted: 11/5/2010 12:20:19 PM
Thought I saw another option while doing this that said "my city". Did you try that?
 jaxflorida

Why does it matter how long you were married for?
Posted: 11/4/2010 11:41:52 AM
What about people who have been married and divorced several times? Most men I've talked to have had several marriages. I often wonder why. That would seem to be a bigger concern.

I'd rather know how long ago they were divorced and if "legally" in writing they were.

Previous posters mentioned length of marriage somehow shows commitment. Too many factors can affect this like someone becomes abusive, drug user, cheats etc.. People can change. The commitment can start to end when things get out of hand.
 jaxflorida

Can I ask my picture back ?
Posted: 11/4/2010 11:19:33 AM
It's a nice thing to have pictures of someone BUT it does not mean getting married, or something serious is going on. If you had known this person for a long time that may be different.

I suggest forgetting about the pictures. Also I'd forget about him and meet someone else.
 jaxflorida

Shy guy interest?
Posted: 11/4/2010 11:03:02 AM
Sometimes shy guys need encouragement. That's why they are they shy to begin with. Afraid of let downs or never reached out to someone.

Sometimes these can be the greatest people to know. Just needs a push or effort from someone else. Like you.

I'd rather be with someone shy than someone who acts like a stud and thinks he can get anyone he wants.
 jaxflorida

Pictures required for men but not women?
Posted: 11/4/2010 9:28:05 AM
Where did diavoletto_lb see this? Can the OP state exactly where?
Didn't think anyone was required to post pics.
 jaxflorida

Force People to Identify themselves in pictures
Posted: 10/21/2010 1:10:48 PM
What about people who have No pictures at all. They have the option of Not posting any.

Your wish to Force people to identify themselves in their profile pictures probably wont work.
 jaxflorida

Setting to block separated users..
Posted: 10/19/2010 12:29:20 PM

I can see where you are with this, but enough people lie through their teeth about their marital state (& loads of other stuff), so I fail to see how giving them the option of posting yet another piece of fiction would achieve a great deal.

Good answer and don't know if another option would cut down emails.
 jaxflorida
Msg: 17 (view)

I don't want to be mean, but ...
Posted: 10/15/2010 2:03:51 PM
Sounds like you're stuck then:

Can't call him (crappy phone etc..)
Can't email
Can't mail anything because he moved to an unkown address
Doesn't have a car so you can't track him down with Highway Patrol or police
Has no job to get further info about his whereabouts

Seems you'll have to come up with a solution to contact him or he'll just keep coming over and face him. Good luck.
 jaxflorida
Msg: 15 (view)

I don't want to be mean, but ...
Posted: 10/15/2010 1:55:56 PM

Ok, write him a letter, then. He DOES have a postal address?

I would also suggest Not putting a return address on it. Mostly because once he sees who it's from he could throw it away. w/o knowing who it's from it may get opened. I'd also make a zerox copy in case things get nasty later and you need proof for some reason.

You could also send it certified/return receipt. That way no question is asked if he got it. Again a brief return address from you.
 jaxflorida
Msg: 13 (view)

Is it them or is it me,,,,?
Posted: 10/15/2010 1:33:12 PM
I'd rather have a man comment about something on my profile such as my interests or something else I said. That way I know he read some of it.

If women you contact mention interests you could start out with something like:
"I like horses too but haven't ridden one for awhile. What is your favorite type?"
Or something similar to this.

You mentioned something on her profile but also asked a question.
 jaxflorida

Office War 2010
Posted: 10/14/2010 1:18:28 PM
-Glue the receiver of his phone so when it rings, he can't pick it up!
-Put self-tanner or black shoe polish on their phone receiver.
-Switch the "hold" and "transfer" buttons on his phone.

Let us know which one you pulled on him, and how he reacted!

Unplug his phone.
Move his office seat to the ladies room.
Remove all pens or pencils from his desk.

Sorry-- just going along with the other poster.

Actually maybe try not to react to him under any condition. If he jumps at you just go back to paper work saying nothing. Just ignore whatever he does. He likes seeing you react to him. His playground will be gone if you can ignore him.
 jaxflorida

Why do girls do this, for fun?
Posted: 10/14/2010 1:00:34 PM
1st- Not all women do this.
2nd- Men do the same thing.

Depends on what the reasons were for not meeting. Some men have told me it was job related. Sounded good but they should have given prior notice things could change because of it.

Other reasons or excuses have been given to me. What actually happens is someone thinks they want to meet the other. One of them gets cold feet for some reason. Therefore excuses are created for not meeting.

"A woman or a man will make a date happen if they have interest." Agree.
 jaxflorida

hats allowed?
Posted: 10/14/2010 12:18:34 PM
If my face is clearly visible and a hat sits to the side or towards the back is it ok for a main profile photo? The brim (front) would not cover any of my face or create a shadow.
Eyes and full face would be visible.
 jaxflorida

Google Maps for user location
Posted: 10/14/2010 11:43:13 AM
I wouldn't put my address in anywhere no matter how secure someone said it was.

Profiles already give city and state. Why isn't that enough? If people don't recognize a city name within the same state they live in they can Google it. Google will give driving directions, how far etc..

I'd rather have someone go off POF and Google my city. May seem like alot of trouble but safer for everyone.
 jaxflorida
Msg: 11 (view)

a little advice
Posted: 10/12/2010 11:10:55 AM
Who suggested going snowboarding or playing hockey?

Maybe try not make it sound like a date. Just ask her if she'd like to have dinner with you, go to a movie, or whatever the same way one of you suggested snowboarding. Then take things from there. I agree being asked to join Thanksgiving with family was something special on her part. If she already had someone else she would have asked him instead.
 jaxflorida
Msg: 10 (view)

SUGGESTION: Track how many times a user has unread/deleted emails
Posted: 10/12/2010 10:49:53 AM

The Admin added your picture to be displayed now right next to your message in her inbox. She does not have to view your profile! She looked at your pic and went ewwwwww and deleted your message. I think putting the pic in the inbox next to your message has caused a spike in unread/deleted. They don't even have to look at your profile now to see your pics. You're getting judged on that tiny thumbnail!

They look at your pic now in the inbox and decide there is no hope for you no matter what your profile says or what you wrote in that message!

An ugly duckling can turn into a prince or princess. Not everyone judges by pics alone. The profile could say something that turns someone off. Ex: Has kids living at home. The viewer doesn't want to get involved with that situation. No point in pursuing further.
 jaxflorida

who is forum_moderator?
Posted: 10/8/2010 3:41:33 PM
Thanks. Didn't think anyone worked for POF other than the owner. Other Moderators say they are Volunteers. What is "The Stig".
 jaxflorida

who is forum_moderator? [Thread CLOSED]
Posted: 10/8/2010 3:29:33 PM
No name. 1/2 empty profile. Joined: 1/24/2003

This person often closes threads especially in "help". Guess this one will be closed soon too.

That's ok if this gets closed or deleted. But who is that mystery person?
 jaxflorida

the date night thing
Posted: 10/8/2010 3:15:21 PM
Suggestions are good. Many others have been made about other things. Don't think I'd wait for them to happen.
 jaxflorida

This pertains to the section “Viewed Me”, removing pictures...
Posted: 10/7/2010 2:10:13 PM
Don't know if there's a way to remove people but think about this:

People who "view you" really doesn't mean anything. Ever go shopping for clothes and don't buy anything? Something about the clothes didn't attract you?

Same with Profiles Views. I call them viewers- not doers. Meaning No contacts just because something about profiles they didn't like. Generally I don't waste my time looking at that page.
 jaxflorida

Blocking Profiles (a suggestion)
Posted: 10/7/2010 1:57:58 PM
Good suggestion. Alot of suggestions have been made for other things. Don't think you should wait for it to happen though.

Just a suggestion: People who "view you" really doesn't mean anything. Ever go shopping for clothes and don't buy anything? Something about the clothes didn't attract you?

Same with Profiles Views. I call them viewers- not doers. Meaning No contacts just because something about profiles they didn't like. Generally I don't waste my time looking at that page.

jaxflorida

IMs not connecting
Posted: 10/7/2010 12:36:52 PM
Yes this site is self-service. Search forums and topics that are over 5 years old like the link given above.
 jaxflorida

How to go about this?
Posted: 10/1/2010 2:40:06 PM

How about a flirty 'We've got to stop meeting like this.' remark as you get on the bus, and an over the shoulder glance back as you get off. If the next time you get on, he makes eye contact - as you get off, slip him your number and give him the international 'call me' sign.

I'd probably do something similar to this.
 jaxflorida

Advertising from dirty,slutty and misleading singles sites
Posted: 10/1/2010 1:47:04 PM
OP-- I was going to email you a possible solution but your filters wont let me.
 jaxflorida

Zip Code 32714
Posted: 9/28/2010 9:54:54 AM
Suggest you go the "help" forum near bottom of main forum page. Moderators visit and may help.

Show ALL Forums