Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Does God exist?
 desertrhino
Msg: 4125 (view)

Does God exist?
Posted: 1/9/2011 1:35:27 PM

As to your point, it, like your sources , is weak.

Yeah, and your point, like your sources, is non-existent. Have a nice New Year.
 desertrhino
Msg: 221 (view)

Crop Circles, what is behind this mystery ?
Posted: 11/30/2010 3:03:24 PM
Well, Paul, in all fairness, if we're leaving little green men is as a possible explanation, we can't preclude God as the source, either.
 desertrhino
Msg: 864 (view)

Evolution.
Posted: 11/30/2010 3:00:15 PM

Occasionally there is an article about a "liger", or a cross between a lion and a tiger. Would that be considered a new specie, or would that be considered as evolutionary,

No. And no.

Here, read and learn: (Yes, it's Wiki, but it's also a pretty good treatment of the term and the surrounding subject and history.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Species
 desertrhino
Msg: 3757 (view)

Does God exist?
Posted: 11/30/2010 2:54:18 PM

If I had wanted to, I could have ripped your post apart so easily, and with such force of argument, that you would have been shown up to be an idiot, and not the slang version of an idiot, but the medical term, a person only capable of reasoning below the level of the average human. I cut you slack, and you had the temerity to say that you suspected my motives?

And again, we swing around past the point where Scorpio makes a few valid points in a few posts and almost sounds reasonable, BACK to the extreme arrogance and oblivion.
 desertrhino
Msg: 16 (view)

Ethically Speaking, Are We Responsible For What We Fail to Prevent?
Posted: 11/2/2010 6:34:34 AM

Removing the child from danger himself could put him in prison if the parents are over-protective and misinterpret the situation, which happens more time than not.

You REALLY think that happens more often than not? What a sad, vicious world you inhabit. (Though I suppose it could just be in your presentation; rushing off jerking the child along by the arm to verbally assault the parents for their stupidity could possibly spark a defensive, confrontational exchange....)
 desertrhino
Msg: 76 (view)

Stephen Hawking: God Did Not Create the Universe
Posted: 10/20/2010 4:15:07 AM

Each victory gained by science pails(sic) in comparison to the losses experienced.

...says the woman posting to an online forum on a computer in the middle of backwoods Canada.
 desertrhino
Msg: 74 (view)

Stephen Hawking: God Did Not Create the Universe
Posted: 10/19/2010 4:59:13 PM

I'm in a quandary. First you say that the journals are not for public consumption. So I cannot trust what I read in scientific journals.

I think the point is more that you cannot UNDERSTAND in adequate context, due to the direction and focus of your education to this point, what you read in the serious scientific journals. It not that you can't TRUST it. You just lack the background and training to decide what is reasonable or where there may be holes in the research.
 desertrhino
Msg: 2933 (view)

Does God exist?
Posted: 10/6/2010 9:59:46 PM
Inicia: all I can say is.... "**WHOOOSH**"

Abelian: It's not worth it any more. When confronted with the possibility that one *IS* right yielding a cool quarter million... anyone who actually had anything to back up their ranting would immediately go for the money. Of course, money is a symptom of the physicalist world, right? LAUGHTER!!!

Appreciative: Give up. You lost.
 desertrhino
Msg: 18 (view)

CAFO another true American disaster for mankind!
Posted: 10/6/2010 9:56:37 PM
Again, the few "facts" offered in this thread are fundamentally flawed. Sigh.

60 min did a good story in how Monsanto is taking to court anyone who germinates open pollinated soybeans instead of their gmo trademark garbage bean. So now their lobbyists have done their work in congress in screwing the American farmer in what to grow with their trademark.

Actually, what Monsanto sued farmers for is for retaining seed stocks from the crops planted with and grown from Monsanto's GMO seed, rather than buying new, fresh seed from Monsanto the next year. Which is bad enough, but why use the slightly or significantly alarming facts that are true, when you can use REALLY alarming lies? Read up:

http://www.organicconsumers.org/Monsanto/farmerssued.cfm
 desertrhino
Msg: 13 (view)

Posted: 9/29/2010 8:06:36 PM
Inability to produce facts or cogent arguments supporting your claims is, in fact, a "failure on your part."

I'm sorry you are unable to see that.

Also, I'm not disagreeing with the overall OP... I'm just pointing out that the only facts so far provided in support of its argument are flawed. I'll keep waiting for something substantive, but I won't wade through pages and pages of invective and insults looking for it. If you can't support your argument rationally, don't bother, please. "Put up or shut up," as they say.

Additionally, as has been mentioned quite a few times in this same forum: accusing your audience of intellectual laziness because they won't do your research for you is, in a word, stupid.
 desertrhino
Msg: 11 (view)

Posted: 9/29/2010 4:12:15 PM
Earthpuppy, just jim:

Both of you fail to address the factual concern(s) and have continued to provide no factual basis for your claims. That raises red flags in any argument, because it reduces your argument to anecdotes, rumors, and appeals to emotion. Especially when the ONE figure that was offered in argument is clearly refuted by: http://www.extension.org/faq/4027 and any number of other sources.

If you can't come up with some facts, or at least references to facts, you're not going to win anyone over. Surely you care enough to try and change a mind or two, right? The only people you're going to sway with emotional horsecrap arguments are those who are already inclined to agree with you.

Just saying, is all.
 desertrhino
Msg: 3 (view)

The Cognition Factor
Posted: 9/28/2010 5:29:45 PM
It's an emergent property of increased processing power and complexity within the brain. It exists because, in and of itself, it confers a selective advantage, allowing humans to form concepts that become language, vastly increasing the ability of groups of humans to survive.

That's pretty much it.
 desertrhino
Msg: 6 (view)

Posted: 9/28/2010 5:26:26 PM
Hmmm, if, when you're called on facts, you retreat to repeating unrelated portions of your overall mantra/screed without addressing the concerns raised, it weakens your overall argument.

In this case, probably to the level of simple trolling. Have a nice day. /ignore
 desertrhino
Msg: 4 (view)

Posted: 9/28/2010 6:22:48 AM

To feed & shoot up the cattle as it takes 10 bushel of corn to make 1 pound of beef!

False statement made only to alarm. The average figure used for "finishing" cattle is 50 bushels per head, which works out to about 6 or 12 pounds of corn per pound of animal or packaged beef.

Though perhaps you simply mis-recalled the correct figure.
 desertrhino
Msg: 765 (view)

The BP oil spill in the Mexican Gulf ...
Posted: 9/27/2010 7:21:20 AM

It found that the plume was not made up of pure oil but a combination of toxic oil compounds including benzene and xylene.

That's possibly the stupidest, most ignorant oil-related statement I've read. Do these alleged scientists not understand what "oil" *IS*?

"Oil" is made up of hundreds or thousands of different chemicals, including, yes, benzene and xylene. It's still just crude oil ...but it's more alarming to present it as above, eh?
 desertrhino
Msg: 22 (view)

Question about water
Posted: 8/22/2010 8:00:30 PM
Uhhhh, you mean "3rd," I think. Even so, this is not the first, second, or tenth time I've seen you post 3+ messages in a row. Just saying, is all.
 desertrhino
Msg: 20 (view)

Question about water
Posted: 8/21/2010 6:15:33 PM
App, you really should read the Acceptable Use and Posting Rules at the top of the Science/Philosophy thread list:

Any Thread that has More Than (2) Two consecutive Messages by Only (1) One single Individual within a 24 hour Period, will have their excess posted Messages deleted unless they are corrective Edit-Action Posts. (This is also known as "Sequential Replies", or posting (2) Two Replies in a Row. Please allow Others to Reply before you post again.)

Y'know... just so we don't see your posts deleted in pretty much every thread you "participate" in. アイツъака(ಷฺ♊ฺಷฺ)σ
 desertrhino
Msg: 5 (view)

Science in the kitchen, fun experiments
Posted: 8/18/2010 9:14:12 PM
blend red cabbage in water as a pH indicator

http://chemistry.about.com/od/acidsbase1/a/red-cabbage-ph-indicator.htm
 desertrhino
Msg: 2462 (view)

Does God exist?
Posted: 8/8/2010 5:52:04 AM
So you can't trust that people who have been shown to lie (reinvent their past) will tell the truth... but if the OT, specifically Joshua, is shown to lie, you can trust it implicitly? You make no sense at all!!
 desertrhino
Msg: 63 (view)

What do you see as the effects of feminism on our society?
Posted: 7/31/2010 3:42:02 PM

don't quite get what you mean, but the family likes to eat.

it's like, I am forced to work, know what I am saying?

what are females forced to do?

Why are you *forced* to work? You could marry someone who supports you or go on the dole, just like anyone else.

"females" are forced to do the exact same as anyone: look out for their own and their offspring's well-being.
 desertrhino
Msg: 2321 (view)

Does God exist?
Posted: 7/31/2010 3:36:52 PM

Again, all that suggests, is that the doctors who conducted the study caused the high percentage of complications, by not running the study correctly.

First rule of medicine is "Do no harm."

You keep suggesting one thing, that the doctors who conducted the study, likely caused these complications, and so showed that we have much more to fear from well-meaning scientists who don't think about the consequences of their actions, than prayer.

Scorp? Meaningless ad hominem doesn't actually help your cause/argument. BTW, could you trot out your science *OR* medicine credentials, please?
 desertrhino
Msg: 2312 (view)

Does God exist?
Posted: 7/31/2010 11:20:09 AM
the man asked you for a credible source for your assertion that the furthest visible galaxies are "more than 70 billion light years away."
 desertrhino
Msg: 2234 (view)

Does God exist?
Posted: 7/29/2010 3:50:21 PM
Translation... you need to read up on emergent properties of complex systems.

The mind doesn't go anywhere. It just ceases to be.
 desertrhino
Msg: 2221 (view)

Does God exist?
Posted: 7/29/2010 4:09:37 AM
^ Krucoff MW, Crater SW, Gallup D, Blankenship JC, Cuffe M, Guarneri M, Krieger RA, Kshettry VR, Morris K, Oz M, Pichard A, Sketch MH Jr, Koenig HG, Mark D, Lee KL. Music, imagery, touch, and prayer as adjuncts to interventional cardiac care: the Monitoring and Actualisation of Noetic Trainings (MANTRA) II randomised study. Lancet 2005;366:211-7. PMID 16023511.
^ Study of the Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer (STEP) in cardiac bypass patients: A multicenter randomized trial of uncertainty and certainty of receiving intercessory prayer [3]
^http://www.slate.com/id/2139373/
^ Herbert Benson et al., "Study of the Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer (STEP) in cardiac bypass patients: A multicenter randomized trial of uncertainty and certainty of receiving intercessory prayer", American Heart Journal, Volume 151, No 4, 934-42 (2006)

Edit: Though the irony is not lost on me; providing references on studies regarding the efficacy of intercessory prayer to the man who "has incontrovertible evidence of the existence of God," but will only share it by PM with those he finds worthy. Of course Scorpio waxing poetic about "how science works" is equally hilarious.
 desertrhino
Msg: 2217 (view)

Does God exist?
Posted: 7/28/2010 9:18:33 PM
Oh geez, haven't we done this "you don't believe, so you're a pompous ass" trolling bit like six times so far in this thread alone?

Pray for guidance in the art of tolerance, little jesus-fan-boi.
 desertrhino
Msg: 2214 (view)

Does God exist?
Posted: 7/28/2010 7:00:29 PM

susan_cd.
Which god was that, then?

There is only one.

YOU say there is only one. Hubris much?

susan_cd.
Why the Bible?

Are you kidding? This forum thread is asking about God. The bible tells about God.

Which sub-sect of Christianity to you cling to? Are all the others wrong in your eyes, too? Which VERSION of "the bible" are you talking about? King James? NIV? Old Testament? New Testament? Apocrypha?

I'm willing to bet that there are quite a few non-Christians here who have researched YOUR religion a lot more vigorously and extensively than you, yourself, have. :) Just saying, is all.
 desertrhino
Msg: 138 (view)

IQ is a garbage tool for determining intelligence
Posted: 7/27/2010 6:58:35 PM
Just for the record: Abelian generally (and in this case) makes sense, and Scorpio generally (and particularly in this case) doesn't make nearly as much sense. I think it has to do with Scorpio's self-proclaimed non-standard world-view and information processing... He gets off on these incredible tangents that mean nothing to anyone but Scorpio, and he CANNOT let go of them or admit they might be skew or outright flawed. That's pretty clearly what's happening here.
 desertrhino
Msg: 2188 (view)

Does God exist?
Posted: 7/27/2010 8:31:56 AM
Again, all you have to do is prove it, and collect $US 1 million. I would personally go for it. :)

For medical NDEs, the easy proof is to simply place a card with a character or number on top of something too high to see from the ground and protected from reflection viewing. The first person who coughs up the right character or number wins $1 million.

Edit: Also, Garry, you should read this: http://www.wikihow.com/Cold-Read

I used to do that sh!te with girls all the time. Impressed them right out of their panties, it did. :) Didn't mean I was using any psychic powers, though. Just good cold-reading and observation.
 desertrhino
Msg: 324 (view)

the earth is growing
Posted: 7/27/2010 6:53:25 AM

UC Santa Cruz Astronomy, Astrophysics, and Astrobiology Professor Gregory P. Laughlin is interviewed on The History Channel's The Universe Season 2. He says the following about the Expansion Tectonics of expanding planets:

"... we think that the reason why that's happening [planetary expansion tectonics] is because they have an internal source of heat which is raising the pressure inside the planet and causing it to expand. That's very similar to a steam boiler on a steam train. In a steam boiler you have water which is being heated by a heat source. That water is turning to steam. The pressure is increasing and that's causing the piston of the boiler to move out, to expand. If you didn't have the gases ability to expand, planets wouldn't inflate. Steam trains wouldn't work. We wouldn't be climbing up this mountain. " -- Gregory P. Laughlin, planetary scientist, November 2007

~http://oilismastery.blogspot.com/2009/09/gregory-p-laughlin-on-expanding-planets.html

Light, you should be more careful with your "evidence." Here's Laughlin's response to the use of that quote to say he supports Expanding Earth. Quote mining is lame as hell.

Hi Jeffery,

I'm not a proponent of the Expanding Earth Hypothesis.

In the history channel documentary, I was referring to highly irradiated gas-giant planets, and using an analogy to explain why they are systematically observed to have larger radii than planets like Jupiter which have much lower surface temperatures.

In essence, I was talking about the ideal gas law. The analogy does not apply to a solid-state body such as the Earth, where the equation of state shows essentially no increase in pressure with temperature.

cheers,
Greg Laughlin

It's always loverly when someone takes a quote made by a reputable scientist and uses it completely out of context to support their crackpot bullsh!te. Which is what Expanding Earth is, crackpot bullshi!te.
 desertrhino
Msg: 321 (view)

the earth is growing
Posted: 7/22/2010 10:41:37 PM

As you can see by the diagram provided from your link, there is no counteracting subduction mechanism in this new rifting ocean happening.

Read what I said. African Rift Valleys are due to the Indian Plate spreading away from the African Plate, and being SUBDUCTED into the Java Trench. If you still don't get it, read it again, label your diagram as I suggested, and try again.
 desertrhino
Msg: 319 (view)

the earth is growing
Posted: 7/21/2010 10:22:19 PM
Well... when I look at any of millions of readily available images of how subduction works...

example: http://homepages.see.leeds.ac.uk/~earsro/NERC_QUOTA_09/Mantle_convection.jpg

This doesn't show what you think it shows. See below.

You will see clearly that new material opens up in the middle... while older material gets recycled back down on the sides. If this was happening in the African dessert... it obviously couldn't be opening as the old material would be getting pushed back down before it could rift open.

I see. You still don't appear to understand how subduction works. At best, you're completely misunderstanding the SCALE of the process... the rifts and trenches in your example picture are separated by hundreds and hundreds of kilometers.

The rifting zone is on one side of the plate, and the subduction zone is on the complete other side of the plate, in most cases. In this case, it would be to the east, on the far side of the Indian Plate (the one that is separating from the African Plate, forming these rift valleys, etc...), at the Java Trench.

It's kind of sad that you don't even care about your pet theory enough to learn the very most basic components of the opposing (and infinitely closer to "true") theory. It makes arguing with you on the topic kind of like Mike Tyson fighting a third grader. Hey, you've got persistence and energy, and you just won't quit, but it's embarrassing to watch the blood flow from the beatings...

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Rift_Valley

If you must, print out the picture you provided above, write "African Plate" on the left side of the rift, "Indian Plate" on the right side of the rift, and further to the right, label the trench as "Java Trench." Study it for a long, long while. Then come back and discuss it.

Edited to add:

Yes... it is much easier for me to lean towards a theory that is a simpler one when there are two opposing theory's that want to define the evolution of this planet.

All I can say here is that the ONLY THING that makes it SEEM like "Growing Earth" is the SIMPLER theory is your apparent complete lack of understanding and education in any and all of the scientific disciplines involved. Yes, willful ignorance is easier than working hard and educating yourself on any of the topics at hand, even the very easiest ones including "how plates rift and subduct under plate tectonics." Sad, but easy.

Isolated nutbags trying to make a name for themselves as crackpots and then hit the (paid) talk circuit notwithstanding. They are in it for the notoriety of spitting in the face of facts and to make a few dollars at the expense of the ignorant (simple ignorance) and those who automatically choose the anti-scientific-establishment explanation for EVERYTHING (willful ignorance).
 desertrhino
Msg: 317 (view)

the earth is growing
Posted: 7/21/2010 7:57:00 PM
I'm interested in hearing where you get the data that lead you to the conclusion that "is no ... subduction mechanism happening."
 desertrhino
Msg: 3 (view)

Replacement for Satellites? The Perpetual Plane
Posted: 7/21/2010 3:31:15 PM
This has been feasible for decades. I remember the proposal, utilizing lighter-than-air craft, with solar power for station-keeping, from at least the mid-1970s. Perhaps it's more cost-effective, to the point that it might happen, but... ?

For example: what is their mean-time-between-failures? Do you blow up every one that has a mechanical or electronic failure? If so, what is the replacement cost, including carried electronic payloads? If not, what is the average repair/replace time and cost?
 desertrhino
Msg: 2069 (view)

Does God exist?
Posted: 7/18/2010 5:32:30 PM

Again, you're expressing an unsupported opinion. You post reams of Plato and Aristotle, and definitions from a philosophical study that you like, but, as I said, if you want to say that I've said something incorrect, or nonsensical, then you need to tell specifically what statement of mine you're referring to, and share with us the reasons why you think that.

Oh geez. My irony meter just expoloded.
 desertrhino
Msg: 2027 (view)

Does God exist?
Posted: 7/14/2010 1:07:22 PM
You're seriously using "exists" and "the imaginal realm" in the same sentence?

I think you're using a definition of "exists" that doesn't actually work in the real world, and you're going to have to offer up some sort of rigorous definition of "the imaginal realm."

If you're going to say that anything you can imagine actually exists... Hell, I don't even know where that leads, it's so frelled-up. You certainly don't want some of MY more creative moments to exist, I'll tell you that for free.
 desertrhino
Msg: 2024 (view)

Does God exist?
Posted: 7/14/2010 12:51:37 PM

well no one can say if god exists in a physical form and prove it , but god does exist in the mental imaginal realm surely, otherwise how would any of us know what we are saying doesn't exist when trying to debunk if it exists or not .

just because something isnt physical does that mean it doesnt exist ?

Now you're back around to the "well, I can IMAGINE it, so how can you say it doesn't exist?" argument that has come up in this thread and others.

I can assure you that I (and every human I know) can IMAGINE things that never were, never will be, and never COULD be. I mean, seriously; this argument can be destroyed with a single example of something that could never exist, yet was dreamed up by someone. For examples, see all of Escher's paintings, most of Bosch's later works, and much of The Lord of the Rings.

I can IMAGINE a "black flare" like that used in the anime The Last Exile, and it can even be drawn on the screen, but that's not how light works (radiated ABSENCE of light), and so it could never be. How about a black hole which spits light-speed blueberries from its clockwise pole, and pomegranates from the counter-clockwise? I could go on, but I think you probably get the point.
 desertrhino
Msg: 1966 (view)

Does God exist?
Posted: 7/11/2010 12:14:22 PM

This thread is somewhat pointless as most people have their mind made up before hand and egos prevent them from changing their minds.

*mirror*

The reasoning that all humans have used from the dawn of time is straight forward: examine the facts of existence and infer what is all behind it.

Yep, and some people jump from "I see lightning and hear thunder" to "Zeus and Thor are in battle in the clouds," while some few others ask for a logical, perhaps even observable, link between observation and inference.

it is a reasonable inference that the gradeur of these phenomena are not merely the products of swirling atoms and chemical reactions taking place between our ears. There is something more.

Please explain how very similar, even indistinguishable, experiences are produced by introducing various chemicals into the human body or brain. It is just one set of data points which don't fit into your inferred theory of "everything," and I'm truly interested in how you explain them within your world view.

By my rekoning, those who don't recognize this lead a rather empty life; empty or self deluding.

Who is the more deluded; the one who asks for evidence supporting a statement, or the one who completely believes the statement (and all it implies) based on a "gut feeling?"

...and if you ever get confused as to where your reasoning went from "trying to understand others" to "smug superiority and religious intolerance/bigotry," just look back at this line in your post.
 desertrhino
Msg: 48 (view)

Is sexual preference and orientation a learned behaviour or genetic?
Posted: 7/7/2010 3:59:39 AM
Random, are you saying that only HOMOsexual attraction is learned? Because that's what it sounds like from what you're saying. I wonder how you feel about HETEROsexual attraction. Is that learned, too?
 desertrhino
Msg: 466 (view)

The BP oil spill in the Mexican Gulf ...
Posted: 7/6/2010 6:35:44 PM
not ALMOST mathematically, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_theory
 desertrhino
Msg: 428 (view)

Is Legitimate Science in Conflict with Religion?
Posted: 7/6/2010 6:28:12 PM
...aaaaaand, here comes scorpiomover, with yet another:

Point====>
e-(´·`) ??

Edit: Unless, of course, you were just trying to imply that science CAN be applied to religion, in a rigorous sense, but really, really missed on the symbolism.
 desertrhino
Msg: 423 (view)

Posted: 7/6/2010 2:30:20 PM
Allow me to re-phrase: App is once again very carefully selecting a small subset of a current, modern definition, and using it to leverage an argument against a statement made with regards to the larger, complete definition... AND has not been paying attention, even to the subset of posters he chooses to define as "anti-religionists."

(¬_¬)
 desertrhino
Msg: 418 (view)

Posted: 7/6/2010 12:07:52 PM
Once again, App just redefines words to suit his particular take on a subject. And hey, if all you got out of this thread was various people saying, "religion Z sucks," you haven't been paying attention.

desertrhino
Msg: 1909 (view)

God has at least a 63.212% Chance of Existing
Posted: 7/4/2010 1:44:20 PM
No, but at least I wasn't asleep in my comparative religions class, since I at least am aware that a large chunk of those you call "religious" are members of non-theistic religions like Buddhism, the Zen branch of which denies not only the existence of God, but the reality of what we call existence. Additionally, you're counting all the agnostics who neither believe in nor deny the existence of any god(s) in the ranks of "the religious," and all those who simply follow the motions of their traditions without any real faith behind them.

Again, it hasn't been established either for or against that God exists. I, unlike some, am perfectly comfortable not knowing AND not making unsubstantiated claims and assumptions, just because Joe Blow told me I should.

You should also look up argumentum ad populum and argumentum ad ignorantiam, because you clearly don't understand how they apply here. Name-calling is also not a logical argument. It makes you sound like someone looking for another "time out."
 desertrhino
Msg: 1900 (view)

Posted: 7/3/2010 6:29:14 PM

So you are 100% positive that there is no God, any you can prove it?

I'm about 100% sure that you can't parse a sentence.
 desertrhino
Msg: 1897 (view)

Posted: 7/3/2010 3:24:59 PM

is it conceded that there is a non-zero chance that God exists, however small?

No, that has not been established either for or against, and the Universe is not infinite, no matter how unimaginably large in a finite sense, so you can't use that as an argument "for."
 desertrhino
Msg: 396 (view)

Posted: 7/3/2010 4:27:33 AM

-- the scientific method is the only game in town, isn't it?

No it's not. In fact, 95% or more of humanity do not believe so.

You really like to pull numbers out of your posterior without any citation, source, or explanation of where you came up with the figure, don't you? Sloppy.
 desertrhino
Msg: 1864 (view)

Does God exist?
Posted: 6/29/2010 6:17:53 AM
So wait, let me get this straight.

There's an all-knowing, all-powerful God who loves me and wants to take care of me for eternity, right?

All I have to do is acknowledge His existence and supremacy, and ask for his love and care.

And He can't manage to make me aware of His existence in a clear and unequivocal manner UNLESS I *first* accept His existence and start looking for ways that He is involved in my life; basically completely suspending my disbelief in favor of a selective filtering of events to see the most positive interpretation. Essentially, I start *looking* for Him in all the gaps.

An all-knowing (knows what would convince me) and all-powerful (can surely come up with a demonstration that would be convincing) God who cannot manage to convince me He exists unless and until I have already decided He exists all on my own. Right.

Next, you will be telling me that Scorpiomover has unarguable and incontrovertible evidence of God, but will only share it with me via PM, and only if I clearly express that I have suspended my disbelief and skepticism to his satisfaction. Oh wait, wasn't that on page 5 or so?
 desertrhino
Msg: 370 (view)

Posted: 6/27/2010 6:26:05 PM

and I still am positive that there is no evidence for or against the existence of God. We really don't know.

By the same reasoning, we also "really don't know" about unicorns, elves, leprechauns, poltergeists, and Russell's Teapot. Demons, fairies, pink elephants, and compassionate Republicans can also be tossed into the mix. Space spiders, portals into John Malkovich's brain, evil succubi in my closet, Orcs, magic rings, halflings, immortality, car engines that run on water alone... where DO we stop with the "but you can't PROVE it does NOT exist, either, phhbbttttt!!!?"
 desertrhino
Msg: 58 (view)

How important is critical thinking and open-mindedness?
Posted: 6/27/2010 11:13:27 AM
Very important lesson:

Never argue with a fool, for he will drag you down to his level and then bludgeon you with experience.
 desertrhino
Msg: 2 (view)

5 Higgs Bosons ?
Posted: 6/22/2010 11:09:04 AM
I think you're getting caught up in someone's cute name, rather than anything substantial. The term "God particle" was coined by a physicist in 1993, and means nothing except he thought it was really important to our current model. See here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/jun/21/higgs-boson

(It's a little better article than the one you posted, but still aimed at the general public.)

Can someone shed any light on this notion, that there might be or need to be 5 Higgs Boson's with different electrical charge's lol

how come ?

I'm afraid I can't shed much light, at least not without another 12-20 years of post-graduate studies, and then I don't think you could really understand the answer unless you did the same. As for the simplest "how come?," that's stated outright in your article: The Tevatron DZero results show a really strong bias towards matter being created from annihilation collisions, over the creation of antimatter. Why that implies another doublet of Higgs bosons is what I'd need to go back to grad school for.

Show ALL Forums