Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Completely rewrote my profile. Review mine and I'll review yours.
 infinitycsm
Msg: 1 (view)

Completely rewrote my profile. Review mine and I'll review yours.
Posted: 7/8/2010 5:15:42 PM
Let me know if you want a review. Haters, please start a line on the right. I realize I do need to add some info on a first date, but I will get to that soon enough. Constructive criticism is more than welcome.

http://www.plentyoffish.com/viewprofile.aspx?profile_id=5960369
 infinitycsm
Msg: 13 (view)

Which Philospher, if any has influenced you the most, why?
Posted: 4/26/2008 7:03:22 PM
I would have to list two philosophers as having the most direct influence on my outlook. These would be Machiavelli and Jean-Paul Sartre. Camus as also an amazing writer and philospher, and I highly recommend his book "The Plague." I personally consider myself an existentialist.
 infinitycsm

Concerning the Nature of God.
Posted: 4/13/2008 7:41:46 AM
Christianity has many beliefs and tenants, and I don't think there is anybody in the world that accepts everything that is "technically Christian" because the bible is fairly open to interpretation. That being said, there a few core things that I am sure most Christians would agree on; things such as the nature of God; the nature of Christ, and so on. For example, I am sure that all Christians can agree that God exists, that God is a God of love, and that Jesus sacrificed himself in order to save mankind because of that love. Conversely, there is a matter of disagreement between Christians over how God created the Earth. Some people feel that he created the Earth over Billions of years using Evolution (Pentecostals I believe subscribe to this point view; they feel that the book of genesis was something like representational poetry) and others believe he created the Earth in seven days as described in the bible. These types discussions are in fact natural, and expected and do not take away from the vitality of Christianity as a belief system or way of life. The nature of this essay concerns itself, not with the second type of Christian knowledge, but that of the first. Those core concepts that make Christianity the religion it is. Those concepts that never change; whether you ask Saint Paul, Martin Luther, Martin Luther King, your pastor, or your mom.

Now, two of the core concepts of the nature of God, directly from the bible, are as such.

"God is good"
And
"God is all powerful"

Now, let's look a little more closely at these two concepts. We are going to look at this from a philosophical view point; bear with me because it's fairly deep.

God is good: This is where we get our concept of morality. God is Good because God IS GOODNESS. Goodness is that which comes from God. God and morality are one in the same. In a practical nature, this means that God would not command humans to… say, "bite off your neighbor's ear," because that is NOT good. Morality is not arbitrary; therefore, God is not arbitrary. This can be contrasted, with, say, the Greek gods, who often fell into human vices such as Lust, Hate, & Greed, etc. According to Greek religion, morality could not have come from the gods, because the gods were immoral and often contradicted each other. They committed adultery, murder, etc. The same is not true of the Christian god. He is a moral God; he his neither amoral, or immoral. He is good.

Having established the above, I think that it is therefore safe to say that because God is good, he is not evil. In fact, if God IS good, then God CANNOT be evil. The two are mutually exclusive. One cannot "be" both goodness and evilness.

Tenant 2: God is all powerful. This is pretty much a given; God created everything. He set into reality, the rules of creation. He created time, space, the laws of physics; etc. This also MUST be true, because if God were not all powerful, but had restrictions on what he could or couldn't do he would not be GOD as we understand him. If God were in fact not All Powerful, but Semi-Powerful, then he would be nothing more then a moral version of a Greek god.

Having established both of those tenants, I am sure that some of you are beginning to see what I am getting at. There is an inherent contradiction in the nature of God as we know him.

If God IS good, God is therefore not evil.

If God is not evil, he cannot do evil things.

If God CANNOT do evil things, there are actions that he cannot do; primarily, evil actions.

If God is not capable of ALL ACTIONS, then he is not ALL POWERFUL.

In reverse:

If God IS all powerful, then God IS capable of all possible actions.

If God is capable of all possible actions, he is capable of both good actions and evil actions.

If God, by his nature, IS capable of ALL POSSIBLE ACTIONS, his nature CANNOT be good.

So what is it? Is God capable of all possible actions? Or is God good? He CANNOT be both.

Now, if your answer is to reply that "God IS capable of ALL possible actions, but chooses only to commit the good ones" you are answering only half of the question. What God CHOOSES is irrelevant. A choice can always be changed. Money is good if I use it for good things, such as paying for my school's tuition. Money is bad, if used for bad things, such as paying someone to murder someone else. Because money is capable of both GOOD and BAD things, we consider it AMORAL. It is AMORAL because it is capable of both goodness and badness, and therefore, it by nature, is neither because GOODNESS and BADNESS are mutually exclusive.

Now; if GOD is capable of both goodness and evilness, and evilness and goodness are mutually exclusive, God must be amoral.

Therefore, God by nature is either amoral and all powerful

Or he is

Moral and incapable.

Which is it?
 infinitycsm

Concerning Love and the pursuit of Happiness
Posted: 4/13/2008 7:36:13 AM
Why are people so infatuated with love? In modern society, we demonize almost every other form of the pursuit of happiness. If someone tries to find happiness in money, they're considered shallow, materialistic, and greedy. If they try to find happiness in religion, they're a fundamentalist nut job, or a set back from some bleak medieval period. If they try to find happiness is civic duty, they're a conformist, a peon. But love; finding happiness in another person is beyond reproach, despite the fact that of all the approaches to happiness, love probably has the worst rap sheet of all. Why have we so deluded ourselves that we're blind to the glaringly obvious?

The Roman's, despite their best effort, could not kill Jesus Christ; but die he did, at the hands of Karl Marx, Nietzsche, and Sartre. This is not to say that religion is forgotten; surly it is not; but its pedestal as one of the pursuits of happiness has surly been upturned. I am not arguing here, from a theological point of view, that Christianity is dead; far from it, but that Christianity no longer serves in Western Civilization as a means towards happiness as an end.

The same is true with the pursuit of happiness by way of material gain. Unlike religion however, Mankind has always been publicly skeptical of this point of view; as far back as he can remember, as shown by teachings of Hinduism, and such. Inwardly however, this belief is much more seductive, even if socially unacceptable. As such, out of one side of man's mouth he proclaims the wretchedness of material pursuits, while out of the other he whispers to himself if only I had a little more money, I would be happier, or if only I could afford a house on that side of town, etc. etc.

All such pursuits have been waylaid but that of love. For some reason, we still cling to it; wishing, in spite of all the evidence to the contrary, that WE will be the exception to the rule. In Western Civilization, we wonder why divorce is so rampant in modern society. Many religious leaders claim that this is a result of excluding god from our society. Lo and behold, they're right. But not a result of some divine retribution on par with the green frogs of Egypt; it's much more practical then that. In the past, man married young and learned quickly that he would not find happiness in the toils of domestic life. So he turned to things. And so, for the next two or three decades he accumulated material wealth, until he realized that this too did not bring happiness. And finally, in his old age, disillusioned by both love and wealth, he turned to God, and shortly after that, of old age, he passed away.

Now though, with God and material pursuits removed; man has no alternatives to love. And so, after it fails him, rather then simply turning to the next stage of disillusionment, man returns to love to make him happy. And so unfolds the vicious cycle of love, disillusionment, and divorce. Where once the twin gods of Gold and the Bible provided a pressure release valve for man's ambitions, now there is only love, and it falls far short of expectations.

This is not a cry to return to the days of yore: far from it. For perhaps now we can shed humanity's last crutch. Ultimate happiness is not found in God, or Wealth, or Love. Though each of these things may bring some circumscribed degree of happiness, none of them are an end unto themselves. Certainly a man who cannot afford food for his family, and whose children are starving is less happy then the man who can afford to feed his children lobster. But ostentatious wealth brings little, if any more happiness then middling wealth. And it may in fact bring less. The pursuit of ultimate happiness is in vain, for man was not made with contentment in mind. For it is through man's eternal discontent that progress is made. Man was not happy in the dark, so he made light. Man was not happy with chaos, so he made law. Man is not happy. He never was, and he shall never be. And the world will ever be made better for that reason.
 infinitycsm
Msg: 5 (view)

Dating one's best friend?
Posted: 4/9/2008 12:37:32 PM
Ohh I really like it put that way (Lifetime of love/lifetime of friendship) ; and definitely one I/we will have to consider as we go forward.
 infinitycsm
Msg: 3 (view)

Posted: 4/9/2008 12:20:03 PM
Hmm thanks, I probably worded the Opening Post wrong. I would love to date her; she's one of the most amazing women I have ever met. It's would likely be more correct to say that fear would hold me back from pursuing a serious relationship, then it would be to goad me forward.
 infinitycsm
Msg: 2 (view)

my 3 poems
Posted: 4/9/2008 12:05:16 PM
Good stuff! Very beautiful!
 infinitycsm

Posted: 4/9/2008 10:09:47 AM
First, I apologize if this is one of those topics that has been discussed to death. However I did do a quick search and really didn't find much on it. Besides that however, this does refer to my specific circumstances. Additionally, forgive me if I ramble.

I met this girl (I will call her Jane) a little over a year ago at a bar through mutual friends. We immediately clicked, and soon after became fast friends. We are now the best of friends; and aside from an unmentioned brief fling in the very beginning, the relationship has been strictly platonic. We've both dated people, and luckily enough neither of our previous "significant others" found the relationship objectionable; or if they did, realized they weren't going to win by making it an issue. Now recently, Jane, having broken up with her boyfriend of about 7 months, has started to pursue me. Now this comes as a bit of a shock for me, because after the original fling, which she ended, Jane had told me that she had no interest in our pursuing any further intimate relations. Valuing the friendship above any desire for sex, I told her that was understandable, and I would make no further move to pursue her.

Now, as I mentioned earlier, she has been hinting that she might like to pursue some type of intimate relationship with me. Up to this point, for various reasons, we’ve yet to consummate it. Now she’s also expressed significant concern that a non-platonic relationship between the two of us might very well be foolish; and I agree with her that there’s a very good chance it would.

Anyway, to make a long story short, we’re likely having dinner tonight, and I am rather certain the topic will come up. Now I’d be perfectly content to let the relationship stay where it is; however, I do love her, and I am afraid that if I don’t date her, the next person who does will not tolerate our close friendship. And to that end, she will eventually find someone, fall in love, and start a family, at which point, its reasonable to assume that I’d lose her; or at least our relationship would be considerably diminished as she (and rightly so) concentrates on her family.

So, after much babbling and such, I guess I want to know you folk’s opinions. How do you feel about dating a best friend? (I’ve never dating a close friend before; pretty much all of my previous relationships have been with girls where we both went into the relationship interested in dating) What are some of the things we need to take into consideration? Etc.
 infinitycsm

Glee and Sorrow..
Posted: 4/9/2008 9:00:59 AM
And I beseech thee glee and sorrow,
Forever; now, then, and tomorrow
Smile, sacred and forbidden
Soul lay bare, with nothing hidden
A slave unto such natural wonder,
Yet free, as chains are torn asunder
A touch, a word, a moment’s bliss
That look, that whisper; fated kiss
A dream; perhaps, and not much more
As I stand knocking at your door,
And what my heart doth dread the more?
That you should open it, your door
Or leave me knocking, forever yours.
 infinitycsm
Msg: 3 (view)

Guys - profile review please!!!
Posted: 1/13/2008 6:37:28 PM
I think your profile is great. Your personality comes across fine, if a bit Victorian. And I think you look great for your age ( and for any age; i bet you were a knock out when you were younger cause yo still are :) I would totally hit on you if I lived in Scotland :P Anyway, the one thing I could really suggest is for you to put a few more pictures up in your profile. The one you have currently is a bit faded/off coloured.
 infinitycsm
Msg: 31 (view)

The Aussie girls guide for you to make it write (wordplay ppl!)
Posted: 1/13/2008 6:31:04 PM
Hello dear! How's the weather down there? Hot I suppose ;) I read a survey recently that Australians are some of the most sexually active people in the world, lol. (not that I am insinuating anything, just a random factiod that popped into my head.) I find that odd being as they're culture is so heavily related to the British (but on the other hand, it was established as a penal colony.) In any case, lol, do you mind perusing my profile and giving me your opinion? I just finished updating it.

Best,
Chris
 infinitycsm

I just updated my profile
Posted: 1/13/2008 2:33:53 PM
I will take anyone's opinion that's willing to offer it, and I appreciate both of your comments so far. I've fixed the one with the cigarette (just for clarification, I smoke rarely, and don't see it as an important enough topic that it needs to be discussed in my profile. If a girl I am dating doesn't happen to like guys who smoke, I have no problem stopping completely, so again, for me, it's a non issue. Regarding the fact that there's a girl in one of my pictures (she's one of my best friends, and the relationship is platonic,) I am not really sure. I mean, I thinks it's a good fun picture, I don't see any reason why a girl should be put off by it; and if a girl is really that insecure is she worth being with? That being said, are there any girls reading this that would find that picture unbecoming?
 infinitycsm

I just updated my profile
Posted: 1/13/2008 12:52:04 PM
I've just completely revamped my profile. What do you think? Is there anything else I should add? What questions, if any do you have about me when you read the profile? Do you notice any mistake? Do you think I give enough information in the profile? There is a fine line in giving good information, and getting bogged down in details. I believe my last profile did the latter. Now I've updated this one and it's a lot more paired down; but is it too paired down? Let me know, and when you do, if you'd like me to review yours, I'd be glad to. Just let me know that you want me to do that as well.

Regards,

Chris
 infinitycsm

Is it too long?
Posted: 1/10/2008 8:21:36 PM
Thanks a lot :) I appreciate everyone's feedback. Keep it coming.
 infinitycsm
Msg: 147 (view)

What makes guys jealous?
Posted: 1/6/2008 9:28:05 AM
If I am in a relationship I do not get jealous. I believe in free will, and see it as pointless to try to convince someone to stay with me if they don't want to. If she wants someone else; goodbye! Now the exception for me is if I am not in the relationship I can feel jealous, but that is probably because I feel insecure as the relationship has not yet been established. That being said I do not act on these feelings, as again, a girl as free will to choose whom she wants to be with.
 infinitycsm

So what's the big deal about virgins?
Posted: 1/6/2008 9:06:52 AM
I guess that's part of my issue with the whole virgin thing. I hate having a girl that is "attached" to me. Ugh. It's like some kind of puppy... I'd much rather have a girl who is confident in herself, has her own set of friends, and knows what she wants.
 infinitycsm
Msg: 61 (view)

Comedy How-to, Any advice? Got Bait?
Posted: 1/6/2008 8:43:00 AM
I don't think humour is something you can really learn. It's something you're born too. And everyone has a different sense of humour, which is why different people find different types of jokes/humour funny. I am pretty lucky; I've always had a sense of humour that girls tend to appreciate. But even I am not invincible. I went on one date, and was just myself, with my normal wit, and offended the girl right off the bat, and continued to do so throughout the evening. Obviously it wasn't a match. On that note, I think a large and very important aspect of humour is descresion. When to tell a joke and who you're telling it to is probably just as important, if not more important then the joke you're telling.
 infinitycsm

Is it too long?
Posted: 1/6/2008 8:36:42 AM
About Me
The Velvet Rose

Beneath the gently warming sun
In a field that's green
Stands a single velvet rose
Her beauty lies unseen
But for the chirping sparrow
And the long-eared Clover-Hare
No creature doth disturb it
Nor stranger find growing it there
But sometimes in my wanderings
I see it as I pass
And smile deep within my soul
For the treasure in the grass

Who am I? Good question and one that would take way too long to answer in any substantial way; but I'll do my best. My name is Christopher, and I was raised here in South Florida. I own my home in Palm Beach Gardens, and work for a small banking firm. I am ambitious, creative, and very intelligent. I see myself going far in life, and have firmly believed, ever since I was a child, that I would make my mark upon this world.

One of the things I value most within myself and in others is intellect. Knowledge, to me, is like a drug. It intoxicates me, and opens up new realities that I could never have imagined otherwise. Hand in hand, is creativity; being able to think outside the box. Life is not linear, and nor was mankind made to live inside a box. Having an open mind to new things, and ideas is vital.

I love to read, anything really; fiction, non-fiction; history, physics, linguistics, philosophy, economics; like I said; anything really. My favourite classical writer is Camus. And yes, I hated the Great Gatsby. Military science fiction is my dirty pleasure.

My other hobbies include, traveling, culture, and languages. My favourite culture is Russian. I speak some, and I’ve been to Moscow, Saint Petersburg, and a bunch of little cities no one has heard of. But Russian or not, I am always excited to meet someone new; especially if they are from a different background then I am. I am VERY outgoing, and very comfortable in social settings. I can talk with anyone, alone or in a group; and like to consider myself as having a fairly good sense of humour

I apologize if the above makes me come off as arrogant, snooty, or egotistical. In fact, I am anything but; I am very down to earth, and very approachable. So, if you’d like to know a little more about me, feel free to send a message! I wish you all the best of luck!

PS: I also write poetry; the above is a poem I penned a few months ago. Enjoy.

First Date
Ideally, a first date would start somewhere public and non-committing; perhaps a bar for a few drinks ('')
, or a coffee shop for a latte. This would ensure the safety of both parties, and additionally, should things obviously not fit, the two can go about their separate ways without further ado. Bad places to start a date would be either party's home (for obvious reasons,) or anywhere that takes an extended period of time; for example a tour of a winery (although quite romantic, and possibly a great idea for date # 2), where should personalities clash, the remaining experience could prove uncomfortable. After it has been established that both parties are who they claim to be, and that their personalities are compatible, it really depends on the individuals. I think a great idea is to spend the evening would be a walk through downtown. You can enjoy the sites and sounds; listen to live music; talk, and get to know each other; stop of at a few bars for a drink, or perhaps a restaurant for a bite to eat. And then see where things go from there.
 infinitycsm

So what's the big deal about virgins?
Posted: 1/6/2008 8:22:21 AM
Why does there seem to be some kind of ideal for guys about taking a girls virginity? I've slept with both virgins and girls with a more established past, and I'll tell you what; the girls with a record are much better in bed. Virgins tend to not know what they're doing, have less confidence, etc. In my experience, I would take an experienced girl over a virgin any day. How do you feel about this guys? What do you think about it girls? What about for females? Is there any "he's a virgin, I'd like to sleep with him!" going on? Or as Borat so delicately puts it "I want to take her virgin!"

Show ALL Forums