Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Yes, there is Life after Death...the Soul is eternal
 quietcowboy
Msg: 17 (view)

Yes, there is Life after Death...the Soul is eternal
Posted: 11/25/2016 2:51:52 PM
I struggle with my own stuff, so don't take this as a criticism, I think it was your mind wanting to make sense out of coincidence. We are genetically programmed to do that. Humankind evolved and to try to draw a line between what is human and what isn't is pretty much impossible now and worst many years ago. What about a soul(or anything about living beyond reproduction and nurturing our young) would survive evolution?
 quietcowboy
Msg: 9 (view)

famous quotes that describe you
Posted: 10/23/2015 12:18:20 PM
“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.”

Carl Sagan
 quietcowboy
Msg: 422 (view)

What do 50+ men want?
Posted: 5/3/2015 8:45:36 AM
Aside from procreating(which maybe a few might want), the answers are still the same as much earlier in life.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 10 (view)

Time During The Inflationary Period of the Universe
Posted: 12/6/2010 6:09:11 PM
An article that I just read that sort of relates to this topic:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11837869
 quietcowboy
Msg: 24 (view)

Afterlife
Posted: 10/10/2010 7:09:58 AM
Has anyone else observed time slowing down?

Did you ever read "Catch 22"?
 quietcowboy
Msg: 1 (view)

Time During The Inflationary Period of the Universe
Posted: 10/8/2010 7:49:30 AM
As the "space "inflated, what did time do? Gravity had separated from the other three forces and density was high. Could this be how the universe expanded faster than the speed of light?
 quietcowboy
Msg: 78 (view)

Racial Realism or ... Racism?
Posted: 10/4/2010 10:08:55 AM
Actually Wikipedia does a pretty good job of stating what I've read in regards to this subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritability_of_IQ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_intelligence
 quietcowboy
Msg: 137 (view)

How do airplanes fly?
Posted: 2/25/2010 5:38:57 PM

People are sometimes afraid to fly when it is raining or foggy out but those are the best days to fly....

The best days for highest lift during take-off are cold & dry - air is more dense. Humidity or water vapor is less dense than air.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 7 (view)

The edge of space
Posted: 2/13/2010 2:23:14 PM
The edge of space/time is something that I don't think we are equipped to comprehend. Our senses have there origins in knowledge required to have a fighting chance in a kill or be killed world. We know that there is so much more to the universe than what our senses are set up to sense.

So with that said suppose everything is really four dimensional - 3 dimensions of space & 1 of time.

Remove one dimension of space and the world becomes like a TV screen, remove two and it becomes a point moving in space, remove 3 maybe you have everything or nothing all in the same "space" sequenced in time. Remove time and I think you might have infinite parallelism where everything or nothing happens together. None of these scenarios agree with what we are predestined by evolution to sense or make sense out of, so if you have ideas lets hear them.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 19 (view)

1st Base, 2nd Base, What's the score?
Posted: 2/2/2010 1:24:13 PM
Marriage - Contract Negotiations
Divorce - More Contract Negotiations
 quietcowboy

Losing the moon?
Posted: 2/1/2010 6:56:32 PM
Changing goals and funding every time a new boss hits Washington, I think has been one of the most detrimental aspects of our space program. If you work at NASA and you are given a program that spans more than 2 years, I think it might be tough to get motivated. The shuttle program was an example of what can happen when a program spans more than one presidency. If we make it to Mars it won't be the solutions to the science problems that amazed me, it will be that politically we can commit to anything that complicated and that takes that long to fund.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 3 (view)

The Pandemic That Wasn't - What Have We learned ?
Posted: 1/28/2010 7:19:31 AM
Here is what we should have learned from it:

1)The science(really more like probability) of projecting pandemic is that of uncertainty not certainty. Bugs mutate differently and who&how they are transmitted to can greatly affect how a bug propagates.

2) If you make vaccinations you are almost always in the wrong in the public's eyes. Don't make enough vaccines you are responsible for "millions of deaths"(some money conspiracy will explain why you let it happen), make too many you will be accused of being on board a conspiracy spreading terror via pandemic propaganda for profit.

3)Vaccines & public awareness of a oncoming pandemic may well prevent the pandemic.

4)If you are in health care and you do nothing or implement ineffective measured to prevent a pandemic and pandemic sweeps the globe you will be called to the carpet. If you take measures to prevent a pandemic and those measures are either effective and/or lady luck smile upon you and the pandemic stalls out, you will be accused of in sighting terror for profit. No good deed goes unpunished.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 18 (view)

New legal challenge for the Hadron Collider...
Posted: 1/17/2010 11:35:14 AM
This challenge isn't new. BTW, we need bigger colliders to discover heavier particles not smaller particles.
 quietcowboy

Why is the general public discouraged from space exploring?
Posted: 1/17/2010 11:32:06 AM
What exactly has space exploration contributed to society? How about exploring what's actually on our planet that hasn't been explored yet and is much more pertinent to us like our oceans.

This statement is wrong on so many levels. I think it would be hard to sum up how much money is being spent "exploring what's actually on our planet that hasn't been explored yet". What I'm sure of is that the money spent on space exploration is a small faction that sum, it just isn't lumped under one heading like "space exploration". Here on Earth exploration is done by scientist as a part geology, biology, oceanography, medicine, ecology, climatology, oil exploration, and etc.

I also enjoyed the comment about "forgetting more than stargazer knew". People that generally use this quote feel that knowing facts equates to knowledge & intelligence - it really doesn't, understanding & creatively using concepts(which isn't frequently forgotten) more closely equates to knowledge and intelligence.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 47 (view)

CERN/LHC starting up soon
Posted: 11/25/2009 4:41:09 AM
And its up and going!
http://www.dailytech.com/CERNs+LHC+Completes+First+Collisions/article16928.htm
 quietcowboy
Msg: 175 (view)

The Science of Global Warming
Posted: 11/22/2009 6:01:14 AM
Another article about "the science of global warming":

http://www.dailytech.com/Climategate+Stunning+Deception+and+Misconduct+at+UK+Warming+Research+Center+Revealed/article16889.htm
 quietcowboy
Msg: 173 (view)

The Science of Global Warming
Posted: 11/18/2009 5:22:36 PM
Here is a new article about atmospheric carbon levels versus global warming. Looks like a legitimate study:

http://www.dailytech.com/Carbon+Levels+are+Soaring+But+Temperature+Isnt+Necessarily+Keeping+Pace/article16861.htm
 quietcowboy

Are disproportionate age ranges requirements a red flag?
Posted: 11/13/2009 4:18:07 PM
I put a bottom age range on who can contact me(no top) simply because I got tire of getting scam messages sent to me from users who state(in their profile) they are younger than 40.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 73 (view)

How do you trust anyone on dating sites?
Posted: 11/6/2009 3:55:26 AM
Just like trusting people in life, you do it in small steps & degrees.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 10 (view)

Hubble Is Up - Early Release Photo Sept 9
Posted: 11/6/2009 3:43:35 AM
A video constructed from Wide Field Camera shots of Star Birth in M83, the Southern Pinwheel released November 5:

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2009/29/video/a/
 quietcowboy
Msg: 33 (view)

Posted: 11/4/2009 5:16:21 PM

This collider may discover extra rolled up dimensions (by looking at gravitons) and may confirm supersymmetry.

LHC is unlikely to confirm extra dimensions - it isn't big enough.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 19 (view)

Posted: 11/2/2009 4:16:24 AM
LHC uses some cutting edge technologies in its design & is a pretty complex machine. Added both of these together and I think the conclusion is that 1)if there weren't problems in the beginning you'd be shocked to the point of wondering if LHC people were being totally honest with us outsiders 2) by the time LHC operation becomes "routine" it will be obsolete.

The Higgs Boson if it exist is only responsible for mass in quarks which represents roughly 10% of the luminated mass in the universe, but without something like a Higgs Boson or something that acts similar to the Higgs Boson the nucleus of a hydrogen atom couldn't exist.
 quietcowboy

Hubble Is Up - Early Release Photo Sept 9
Posted: 10/31/2009 5:39:41 AM
That's very interesting post ideoform. Hubble is getting better everyday and it seem the implications from the observation have set science on its heels.

Update
October 20,2009:

The Cosmic Origins Spectrograph has finished SMOV calibrations and is conducting science observations. All instruments with the exception of the Near-Infrared and Multi-Object Spectrometer (NICMOS) have completed their SMOV programs. NICMOS, which is nearing SMOV completion, is undergoing data analysis to determine whether some optical adjustments should be made.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 33 (view)

HOW CAN YOU BREAK UP WITH SOMEONE WITHOUT CAUSING THAT PERSON PAIN?
Posted: 10/30/2009 5:05:11 PM
I don't think you can break up with someone that cares about you with out causing pain. You can do it in away that you feel would best if they were breaking up with you.

There isn't a good way to get sick, break up, get fired, or die only ways that lessen the pain.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 31 (view)

Persistance can wear a girl down til she gives in - Does it work for guys?
Posted: 10/30/2009 4:59:12 PM
Persistence can wear a girl down alright, then she gets a retraining order(just kidding).

Its never worked for me and in fact it has taught me an important lesson: Invite people into your life, be happy if they decide to come in to it, and let them come and go from your life on their own terms. Worrying about how to get somebody into my life or how to keep them there just causes me to much stress and turmoil for no gain.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 29 (view)

Administration plans big pay cuts at bailout firms
Posted: 10/26/2009 4:26:52 AM
I fully support any move that helps us get our money back as soon as possible. Cutting the top executive pay will pretty much leave the company with the exec's that nobody else in the industry wants. These guys aren't the guy's you want running a company that owes you money. Did we invest in those companies to save them from financial disaster, or did we invest in those companies to punish a few execs?
 quietcowboy
Msg: 12 (view)

Conservative Vs Liberals
Posted: 10/26/2009 4:03:20 AM

I've known liberals of all religious persuasion and conservatives of all religious persuasions. Religion and race seem to have nothing to do with it.

Again as I said earlier I started this topic not to address the topic of the book, but I did listen to the author's presentation. Last election 78% of Jewish people voted for Obama. Of the demographic groups tracked, only African-American's voted for him in a higher percentage(95%).
 quietcowboy
Msg: 28 (view)

Here is my theory on why I am the ONLY one he has ever been faithful to
Posted: 10/25/2009 8:14:17 PM
I think that I'm not sure which will drive you crazier: your question or the answer to your question. Why do you do this to yourself?
 quietcowboy
Msg: 5 (view)

Conservative Vs Liberals
Posted: 10/25/2009 7:31:16 PM

So the implication here is that Jews... who have a disproportionate share of influence in the banking and finance industries compared to their numbers in the general population... are liberal because they're selfishly trying to give themselves more in order to make up for the prejudice they've experienced in the past...

That is not what Jewish author said AT ALL, in fact how you arrived at your conclusion of what I wrote as the OP is fascinating to me. I never addressed the topic of his book in my post, only his thoughts on the philosophy(or thinking process) of liberals vs conservatives. Since they weren't my thoughts, I thought I should reference where they came from.

BTW, I don't view this topic as religious or political(the forum moderator must think like you do) but more as a philosophical question as to how liberals versus conservative arrive at their solutions to a problem.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 3 (view)

Conservative Vs Liberals
Posted: 10/25/2009 6:48:28 PM
I thought both conservative & liberal thinking is a philosophy, never really thought of it as a religion and although many in politics say they are either conservative or liberal, I always thought they were speaking more of their philosophy of how they approach an issue.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 1 (view)

Conservative Vs Liberals
Posted: 10/25/2009 6:23:54 PM
I watched BookTv yesterday. The author of "Why Are Jews Liberals?",
Norman Podhoretz, said something that made me think a little bit. In the end I couldn't disagree with him. He stated something to the affect that liberals are driven to solve perceived inequalities and injustices of the past with little regard to what impact their solutions have on the future, where as conservatives are so focused on what impact changes will have on the future they have a difficulties making any changes in the present.

I never thought of either conservatives or liberals in those terms, but after thinking about it for awhile, it made a lot of sense to me. What do you think of his synopsis of either conservative or liberals?
 quietcowboy
Msg: 25 (view)

Why do men with kids respond to my ad?
Posted: 10/25/2009 8:29:51 AM
I messaged someone who was looking for a "soulmate", but her soulmate doesn't have kids,etc,etc. My thinking at the time was I don't have my kids very often and when I do I have no illusion of her being a parent, and frankly her attendance would be optional. The time I spent with my kids would be "my time" not "our time". I personally will never be in a relationship that is all "our time" without some "my time", and my time is of my choosing of how I spent it(with in reason of course, no hanky-panky, law breaking, etc). Since I've had to work with people of ages 16=>(summer hires, student PR programs,etc), it never occurred to me that somebody might object to occasionally be around someone of that age.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 41 (view)

Government control of private business.....
Posted: 10/24/2009 4:50:05 AM

These very same "talented people" that got us into this mess? Good luck. Give me a break. As far as I'm concerned, they can take their "commissions" and stick 'em where the sun don't shine.

First off, the guys who got the banks in trouble in the first place aren't the only business units in the bank and they won't be the only business units within the bank that generate funds to pay the government back. What you are demanding the government implement, will guarantee that we don't get our money back & the institutions we bailed out(because our government said are important for our country' economy) will fail. God I love it when people want to cut off their noses to spite their faces.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 35 (view)

Government control of private business.....
Posted: 10/23/2009 6:37:38 PM

As long as the government bailed these thieves out, you bet your ass they should be limiting bonuses. That's OUR money they corporate pigs are spending.

You are right it is our money and the best way for those companies to pay us back our money is to retain some of the industry's most talented people. The people I want working for a company that owes me money are the ones that have a choice of working for anybody, not the ones that nobody wants. All thing being equal, I'm going to guess working for a company that owes the government a lot of money is a whole less fun than working doesn't owe the government anything(a lot less BS to put up with). By capping their pay our government will insure all thing aren't close to being equal and our government owned companies will be run with the puppies that can't hunt.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 81 (view)

Thoughts and opinions on antidepressants
Posted: 10/23/2009 6:56:23 AM
Problems in today's world are very complex - most of the easy problems have been solved. Yes, Microsoft beta tests, but so does Linux & Leopard - the problem,the solution and the application of an OS is far too complicated to get it totally right answer- the best you can hope for is a high percentage of partial credit. The Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz couldn't make in today's scientific research world, the knowledge required to solve most problems is so esoteric that it requires a lot of knowledge that is specific to the research.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 80 (view)

Posted: 10/23/2009 5:31:00 AM

There are far too many "they don't know's" to keep experimenting with people. They're just guinea pigs....beta testers...just like MS Windows.

Are you saying you would not appreciate the alternative of "you can try this method of therapy, but there are things we really don't understand about it" to just being told best of luck mate, keep a stiff upper lip?
 quietcowboy
Msg: 78 (view)

Posted: 10/22/2009 12:56:57 PM

lithium is next atom larger than Helium
I can you really do your research!
 quietcowboy
Msg: 77 (view)

Posted: 10/21/2009 3:25:52 PM
Prozac has been on the market for 23 years. It probably had clinical trials that lasted 4-5 years prior to that. It was the original SSRI. Mountains of data on SSRI's exist, probably more data exists on them than most drugs. So far the nay sayers in this forum from what I've read couldn't begin to qualify for any of the research jobs required to develop a mental health drug, yet they seem to be arrogant enough to call them "quacks".

The fact is we need to totally understand how a synapse works, how memory is actually stored and what mood or perception actually is before quacks can devise medicines to correct for "mental illness"

Sounds like you should jot down your ideas on how the brain works & apply for grant. With your knowledge of the subject material how could they turn you down? BTW, what do you suggest we do with the mentally ill while you complete your research.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 74 (view)

Posted: 10/20/2009 7:32:04 PM
Just an analogy I though of about SSRI&depression: Suppose one day you decided to take your motor boat out on lake. The engine wasn't operating too well and the boat has few leaks. Out in the middle of the lake the engine stops, the boat starts sink and to make matters worst your feet get tangled up in some equipment that weighs fifty pounds.

Depression is the mess you are in. Where you are and the decisions you made that got you there represents the mess(lost jobs, marriages,isolation) that your past has become. SSRI's will help you untangle your self from the equipment. If you can't swim, or aren't in shape enough to swim to short you are still going to drown, paring a miracle(another boat comes by or something). SSRI won't teach you to swim, or get you fit enough to swim to shore, and they definitely won't change the past that got you in the situation in the first place. But you gotta admit having the fifty pounds removed from your legs will in many cases improve your chances of getting to shore.

Exercise & Diet: great if you can do it. Most people who aren't complaining of depression aren't willing to do it even though they would benefit from it. Now throw in lack of sleep, excessive sleep, incoherent thinking(lose of motivation,severe sadness,etc), screwed up life, lack of appetite,excessive appetite to list a few diet and exercise isn't as easy as it seems.

Therapy: One of my favorite "Frasier" episodes was when Niels on short notice stuck Frasier when depression support group he was conducting. Frasier's comment was something to the affect that "With depressed people, small talk becomes itty bitty talk" . Therapy can help a lot(if you can benefit from insight about yourself & you are lucky enough to find a therapist that you have chemistry with), but if depression's got your tongue, therapy might just result in lots of "itty bitty" talk. SSRI might rise to the level of small talk or better.

Shock Therapy: Can help forget past traumas, but like any therapy it can't change reality. If life sucks it will still, you just won't have the painful memories how it got to suck.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 43 (view)

Nobel peace prize for nuclear weapons
Posted: 10/19/2009 4:36:35 PM

The rate accelerated to a war ever 5 years or so and the death toll got worse.

In terms of wars the ones that you sight are background noise(which has always been there prior to WWII. They did not involve both of the following 1)opposing top shelf military powers 2) engage in full scale warfare against each other.

Your examples help make the OP's point, not oppose it.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 42 (view)

Nobel peace prize for nuclear weapons
Posted: 10/18/2009 3:17:13 PM
Had the US not used atom weapons against Japan, the first thing we would have done was strategic bombing, from air and sea. This would have been followed by a D-day type invasion. Most historians feel that the damage Japan sustain from nuclear weapons was pale compared to the "conventional" warfare tactics of the time, in terms of property and civilian loses.

Up to WWII, world powers were engaging in all out warfare against each other on the average of every 30 years, for the last several hundred years. After WWII something changed, if nuclear weapons weren't responsible for the change what was it? An all out war between two world powers is now unthinkable,in large part to the prosperity enjoyed during the ensuing years following WWII and the risk of seeing it all blown to hell . China-Soviet Union have probably come the closest followed by US-Soviet Union. In the case of China-Soviet Union, they fought each other at their shared borders, but unlike past conflicts, it never escalated, why not?

As time has gone on since WWII, industrial nations have had to consider "zero population growth" type measures mainly by its citizens(exception being China). These measures I believe are making even large scale conventional warfare a thing of the past, as parent of soldiers now must face losing a child and in many cases any possibility of grandchild,etc. Adding it all up, I think WWIII is really some far out Sci-Fi, and it all started with nuclear weapons.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 71 (view)

Posted: 10/17/2009 6:16:07 PM

so we should not criticise, and stick our heads in the sand.

Getting your head out of the sand would probably be more of what's required than sticking your head into the sand, first things first.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 69 (view)

Posted: 10/17/2009 4:07:43 PM
What I wonder is why all the "opinions" stated here aren't based on studies and they invariably say that anything that is marketed or sold for profit have no positive benefits and many negative benefits. Invariably the person offering these opinions don't have medical backgrounds and their opinions are mainly a rehash of their biases against pharmaceutical drugs period. Generally they will sight some form of treatment that has no track record and they rationalize their lack of data with "common sense".
 quietcowboy
Msg: 64 (view)

RE: The right to protest?
Posted: 10/2/2009 2:38:54 PM
The cops I know say that a great day is when they don't have to arrest anybody & nothing happens. If you believe the violence at the protests was caused by "plants", I don't think the police are who I would be thinking planted the perps.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 58 (view)

What do you think about people who have psychics' readings?
Posted: 10/1/2009 5:51:49 PM
I think people waste their time and money on all kinds of stuff, so as long as I don't have to spend much of my life hearing about or being judged by a psychic, go for it. Same goes for religion.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 34 (view)

RE: The right to protest?
Posted: 9/30/2009 5:59:11 PM
The G20 meetings have always been protested unless they are held in a real police state like one of the communist countries. What happen here was most of the protesters were going to peacefully protest the meeting which is their American Right. Police were also at the meetings to protect the meeting attendees in case the protesters weren't peaceful. A small percentage of the protesters weren't and threw rocks at police, windows, etc. The police can't let that happen, the rock throwers are mixed in the crowd, what can the police do? If you feel the police acted wrongly, what would you do? Letting the crowd hurl rocks at you isn't an option.
 quietcowboy

A math question: Is there any way to increase your odds when buying lottery tickets?
Posted: 9/25/2009 6:00:10 PM

But I once tried to imagine the odds of winning in a pragmatic sense. Technically the chances of the same numbers coming up every week are the same as any other numbers coming up. Yet I don't believe the same combination of numbers has ever been repeated. I'd say that puts the odds of any specific set of numbers into the several millions to one category.

Who needs Derren Brown? Bulgarian lottery draws same numbers in consecutive weeks
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 1:14 AM on 18th September 2009
The country's government ordered an investigation after the numbers 4, 15, 23, 24, 35 and 42 were selected, in a different order, live on television on September 6 and 10.

This is the kind of crap you need to avoid. Much of it is just data, not statistics. I love sports and sports broadcast are full of data, but rarely is it full of statistics. What is not said is, what is the distributions that these drawing are random or more importantly that they are not random. More than likely they are much more statistically significant that they are random, and if they are, you can forget about anything that has happened when trying to pick the numbers for tomorrow's drawing. As an example if I gave you a coin and asked you to flip it 30 times, it is unlikely that it will end up 15 heads and 15 tails. Does that mean that the coin is fixed? Maybe or maybe not, all that can be concluded is the probably that it is or isn't based on how many times heads comes up as opposed to tails.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 13 (view)

A math question: Is there any way to increase your odds when buying lottery tickets?
Posted: 9/24/2009 5:53:08 PM
By the same token stay away from numbers that can be personalized like Month/Day/Year type number combinations. Again, not because these are losing/winning numbers, its just that more people will take them thus increasing your chances splitting the pot if you win.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 161 (view)

2012 & astronomical facts?
Posted: 9/24/2009 5:40:52 PM

The Mayan Elders and Yogis don't care if you don't want to know the truth, they will share information with anyone who desires it. If you want to bury your head in the sand, it's of no concern to me.

Everybody else here is willing to "share information with anyone who desires it". The internet is full of information from sharing individuals. What it isn't full of is data that backs up the information that they are willing to share. People predicting the end of time is as old as people and the beginning of time, just don't ask them to tell you how they know what they know, they just do.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 12 (view)

Posted: 9/24/2009 5:16:01 PM
There is a way to increase your odds, or at least your odds of never having to split the money you win with other people. Buy tickets that most people don't think can every win. As an example, suppose there are 42 numbers and you need to pick seven correct. If you pick 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 most people will tell you that you are crazy if you pick them, but if the drawing is totally random, your chances of winning are the same as any other combination of seven numbers. A number random generator will pick this set of numbers as frequently as any other set, but those that don't use a number generator will usually think these numbers can never win - winners they recall are never number in sequence, or all even, all odd, by fives etc.

Show ALL Forums