Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Sippin Vodka
 dkhoney
Msg: 6 (view)

Sippin Vodka
Posted: 4/29/2009 9:32:49 PM
Oh this is an oldie I had forgotten all about. Thanks for posting it.
 dkhoney
Msg: 23 (view)

A bunch of ideas for this site:
Posted: 4/29/2009 9:23:24 PM
I agree that he could be more specific on his profile, but the sad fact of the matter is that most people do not read. I try to be courteous but a lot of people send me messages and ask questions that make it very clear they did not read my profile at all. The other thing is a lot of people lie and have profiles and pictures that are pure fiction. Sad but true. There are men who lie and there are women who lie, end of story. A profile should be a starting point, something to give you a bit of information. From there you exchanges notes and form a clearer picture as to whether or not the person is worth pursuing. If they are not what your looking for, move on.
 dkhoney
Msg: 7 (view)

Message advice
Posted: 4/29/2009 9:02:42 PM
Hi, how you doing?
 dkhoney
Msg: 76 (view)

Black-only schools
Posted: 2/9/2008 4:01:13 AM
To postulate that Black schools will teach students to hate white people means by default that schools which are predominatly white teach students to hate black people. Utter nonsense. Now I am sure people are going to jump all over me but so be it. Why is it that anytime a minority group seeks to do something for themselves people complain that they are racist or promoting segregation but if those same people keep going with the status quo and fail, people point at them and say they need to try harder or pull themselves up by their bootstraps? Seems to me a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.
 dkhoney
Msg: 75 (view)

Black-only schools
Posted: 2/9/2008 3:55:26 AM
I respectfully have to disagree with your perspective . It is true that Canada was not built on the backs of slaves as was the case with our neighbors to the south. That being said, as Canadians we really do need to stop patting ourselves on the backs so much for being more tolerant then Americans. Canadian history is full of incidents of injustice and racism. The Chinese head tax, the moves to stop African -American settlers from entering Alberta and Saskatchewan in the early 1900's, not to mention the historic and ongoing treatment of First Nations(s) people in this country are but a handful of examples. As Canadians we seem to think that so long as we aren't burning crosses on someones front yard that there is no racism here.

As far as the comment about "some group squeez[ing] canadian taxpayers for their own personal agendas," are not the parents of these children Canadian and are they not taxpayers? My parents are taxpayers as am I, yet I don't accuse you of squeezing me for my tax dollars that go toward the creation of a curriculum that benifits white Canadians more than it benefits other Canadians. Isn't the point of education and the tax money earmarked for that purpose intended to provide the best possible educational success for all students? As a citizen of this country I want my tax money to be used in the most effective way possible. If 40% of one group of students is failing to graduate, I don't think we can say these kids and their parents are just bad people. Something else needs to be done because clearly, what we have in place now is not providing the end results I think all Canadians are looking for. Namely, educated people who are able to contribute to our society and become taxpayers themselves. If this school increases the graduation rates of these students and reduces the number who end up in the justice of welfare systems I would call it money well spent. I would rather pay now for 3 or 4 years of high school as opposed to paying for 20 years of incarceration or 60 years of welfare.
 dkhoney
Msg: 74 (view)

Black-only schools
Posted: 2/9/2008 3:25:01 AM
Attendance at this type of school will be a matter of choice, not force. While all people are equal they are not the same, different students have different needs and intrests. Expanding the educational options made availible to parents for the education of their children does not seem to me to be a bad thing. As other posters have mentioned, we currently have schools that offer different choices ( Catholic, Islamic, Gifted, Acedemic, Vocational etc). I fail to understand the hoopla regarding the creation of an Afrocentric school. The other thing that is puzzling is the complete disregard that people have seem to have for other cultures in this country that prides itself on its supposed commitment to diversity. As the child of mixed parentage I would have welcomed the chance to attend such a school. By virtue of growing up in Canada I am well versed in all aspects of Canadian culture. I am surrounded by it when I go to work, go to school, turn on the television or read a newspaper. To gain an understanding and appreciation for the aspects of my cultural background that are not from European roots, I had to make the effort as an adult to seek out information on my own. The teaching materials used in my classrooms reflected the majority of the students, they did not represent me. When other cultures are discussed in classrooms, they are often reduced to the food they eat, dances they perform, music and mythology. It is unfair to expect teachers to be able to address every single cultural background in a class of 30 students in depth and in a meaningful way. By default, teachers and the curriculm in mainstream schools speak to the majority population and try their best to be respectful of others. In a city the size of Toronto, there is a large enough population of students to justify the creation of a school geared more strongly to the commonalities present thoughout the diaspora of "Black" cultures. This is not segragation. Segregation is about the forceful legislated seperation of people. This is a matter of choice. Some parents may choose to send their children to this new school, others will not. Just as some parents send their children to boys schools or girls schools or school with uniforms or Catholic school this is simply one more option. It seems to me that in our country we need to reduce the number of children that fail to graduate high school. If we keep doing the same things we are going to get the same results. If the creation of schools that speak to the needs and intrests of students currently at risk increases the number of graduates I am all for it. And that applies to Jewish schools, Sports, Arts, Academics, Islamic, Boys, Girls, Christian, Islamic, Hindu, First Nations(s) and so on.
 dkhoney
Msg: 219 (view)

WHY ARE WOMEN OVER 30 A FAILURE WHEN THEY ARE SINGLE AND CHILDLESS?
Posted: 2/2/2008 2:15:40 AM
It is always interesting to me that a woman in her 30's who used appropriate birth control so as not to have to deal with an unplanned pregnancy or STD in her teens and twenties somehow morphs into a failure in her thirties for not having reproduced. How does that happen?
 dkhoney
Msg: 173 (view)

Going back to school in your 30's....
Posted: 2/2/2008 2:11:35 AM
I am currently in university, 1 more year to go for my degree. At first I was scared to death but it was definately the right move. Of course now that I only have a year to go I am considering graduate studies. Odds are I will be 40 or close to it by the time I am done, but I don't really care. This is something I am doing for me.
 dkhoney
Msg: 25 (view)

to the women over 30 and 'Undecided' on children...
Posted: 2/2/2008 2:02:26 AM
Undecided /Open means just that for me. I am undecided. When I was in my 20's I would have said I wanted kids. At my age now, I do not have any nor am I in a rush to have them. That being said, however, does not mean I rule out the possibility. If I were to get into a stable relationship with someone and my partner and I both felt we wanted a family, then thats fine. From the variety of responses it is clear that "undecided" means different things to different people. If you see undecided on the profile of someone you might be interested in it doesnt cost anything to send the person a note and ask them to clarify.

Show ALL Forums