Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Bonfire and Barn Dance Nov. 7th or 21st
 veloise
Msg: 8 (view)

Bonfire and Barn Dance Nov. 7th or 21st
Posted: 10/17/2009 8:07:47 PM
At a barn dance, typically there's a caller who tells you what to do. I ran one last night, for a church in Traverse City, and it was great fun. No one dancing got cold.
We did some square dances, the Virginia Reel, several mixer dances, the Chicken Dance, and Hokey Pokey.
HTH
 veloise
Msg: 62 (view)

~Dorr, MI-(Near Grand Rapids)-Sat. Oct. 17th-Haunted Corn Maze, Haunted Woods, Hayride, And Bonfire~
Posted: 10/12/2009 3:25:59 PM
From an article in the Oct 8 GRPress;

In an effort to make the farm's third year as a Kent Harvest Trails destination bigger and better than before, Lenhart asked two employees to attend a haunted house convention in St. Louis earlier this year.

"It really opened doors for us," he said with a laugh. "Every day the UPS man brings us a new shipment of body parts."

www.mlive.com/entertainment/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2009/10/many_kent_harvest_trails_farms.html
 veloise
Msg: 47 (view)

~Dorr, MI-(Near Grand Rapids)-Sat. Oct. 17th-Haunted Corn Maze, Haunted Woods, Hayride, And Bonfire~
Posted: 10/7/2009 7:39:59 AM
I went to Google, typed in "motels dorr mi" and found a list. (POF doesn't allow me to post a link.)

Countryside Inn showed up, and then I went to the Streetview feature. These are photos taken by a drive-by vehicle with an array of cameras on top. It appears to be a restaurant, not a place to stay.

HTH
 veloise
Msg: 44 (view)

Posted: 10/6/2009 6:26:07 PM
"big purple ring thing girl" ...

It's part of ArtPrize, still happening here in DT GR.

Maybe the farm should offer a "StalkPrize."
 veloise
Msg: 43 (view)

Posted: 10/6/2009 5:10:08 AM
Found this message on the farm's FB page, from August. They are adding tunnels to the scary maze:

"The tunnels are about 75% done! There will be a butcher shop, a blacklight tunnel, a forest, an open grave, and hopefully, a maze of mirrors tunnel finished by the end of the week!"
 veloise
Msg: 42 (view)

Posted: 10/6/2009 4:11:16 AM
Looks like the closest motels are near the US-131 and M-6 interchange.
The article from Saturday's GR Press is not on the Mlive site (yet). Title: "When dealing with dairy gets scary"

For those on Facebook, the farm has a fan page.

(still wearing my ArtPrize "ask me" T-shirt)
 veloise
Msg: 10 (view)

Posted: 9/20/2009 2:31:21 PM
Ooooh, chainsaws! Can.Not.Wait.
 veloise
Msg: 3 (view)

What do yall think????
Posted: 4/14/2009 7:42:21 PM
Nick, how about a nice tight headshot? You have a nice smile...your current offerings have 1) your hand in the way and 2) hat on, too far out. Hard to tell what you really look like.

HTH
 veloise
Msg: 12 (view)

Irish Music in Detroit area?
Posted: 4/14/2009 8:31:06 AM

Then there was that place in Ferndale(?) that had a marathon session of people singing "Danny Boy".

A.J.'s Cafe; the "Danny Boy" event was a one-time deal. (See, there is a god.)
More recently the owner was trying to set a Guiness record for round-the clock performances in support of the auto industry.
 veloise

Hayride and Bonfire in Grand Rapids,MI area May 2, 2009 Saturday
Posted: 4/14/2009 8:24:36 AM
Last fall's event was a ton 'o fun. The hayride, the haunted forest, the scary corn maze loaded with leaping-out creepie characters...I can still hear the chainsaws. And meeting some nice people FTF was a real treat.

Regretting that I can't attend this one, as I am calling an old-timey dance for the Dutch Trade Faire participants on Windmill Island. (We'll have a Maypole dance, food, lots of fun with costumed re-enactors. Hey, it's what I do!)

Have fun, everyone!
 veloise
Msg: 9 (view)

Posted: 4/11/2009 4:09:34 PM
Not the "D" but if you are ever in GR, stop by the Black Rose on Sunday nights. We have a lively session starting at 7 pm. Great good fun, even some singing. "Well, it's no, ane, neverrrr...."
 veloise
Msg: 5 (view)

Does anyone use the POF chemistry test?
Posted: 10/25/2008 6:38:07 AM
(Nice profile, OP!)
Filled it out, found some oddball situations that could skew the results.
For instance, the questions on family: is that actual or "someday" or "should have grabbed that brass ring 20 years ago"? I can see how someone with grand/kids (especially young ones) would mark that very high, but since I am flying solo I marked it low. (I think. Dang short-term memory.)
As with any "test," the question-writer's biases come into play.
HTH
 veloise
Msg: 6 (view)

Posted: 10/23/2008 5:00:58 AM

There is an Irish bar in Ann Arbor that has Celtic jam sessions on Sunday evenings. Can't think of the name of the place off-hand. I have been meaning to try it sometime.

Connor O'Neill's. (Never went to that one; have been to one on Weds at Grizzly Peak...ages ago before moving west).

Hey, my internet search for that session uncovered a site called thesession dot org. Searchable listings (worldwide!!). Places in Novi, Livonia, Plymouth, several in the Corktown area.

HTH
 veloise
Msg: 4 (view)

Posted: 10/20/2008 9:07:28 PM
Thought of another resource. Matt Watroba, who heads the folk show programming on WDET, has an extensive website, and it lists clubs and performers and schedules.
folkslikeus dot org
 veloise
Msg: 12 (view)

Pictures of the hayride/bonfire
Posted: 10/20/2008 6:22:26 PM
Testing... hmmm, doesn't seem to show. Well. it's a public album on photobucket, just click the link.
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/veloise/parties/pof-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/veloise/parties/pof-2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/veloise/parties/pof-3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/veloise/parties/pof-4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/veloise/parties/pof-5.jpg[/IMG]

(I'm borrowing the one of moi for my profile pic, for a while anyway.)

That is a GREAT idea about taking pics of the ghouls. Self-defense against Mr Chainsaw. Next time!

Oh, a group I'm in tried out the mini-golf at Craig's Cruisers; we had a super time. Go-karts, pizza, beer, and putt-putt... maybe not in November, though.
 veloise
Msg: 2 (view)

Posted: 10/19/2008 6:52:48 AM
A couple of folk music groups where I used to play are these:
Paint Creek Folklore Society, Silver Strings Dulcimer Society

Check out their websites, where they have links to various folkie/Irish performances and venues around the metro.

HTH
 veloise
Msg: 42 (view)

Hayride, Corn Maze and Bonfire in Grand Rapids area Saturday, October 18th 5:30PM
Posted: 10/18/2008 9:58:54 PM
POF sez that 33% of folks who come to POF parties meet someone to date. And hey! I met a great guy at the party!

He likes romantic, dimly-lit corridors of corn. So striking in his hockey mask. And so strong when he wielded that chainsaw! He sure made an impression!

Thanks again for setting up this party, Tina. It was a rip-roaring time!
 veloise
Msg: 32 (view)

Hayride, Corn Maze and Bonfire in Grand Rapids area Saturday, October 18th 5:30PM
Posted: 10/17/2008 5:00:17 AM
Bringing a camera.
 veloise
Msg: 29 (view)

Posted: 10/16/2008 10:34:32 AM

"...a dessert like brownies or cookies. Something that is a figure food and not a cake...."

Now that's gotta be a Freudian slip. Dahling, certainly you mean FINGER food!

(knows from figure foods, all too well)
 veloise
Msg: 25 (view)

Posted: 10/15/2008 4:45:04 PM

bought eight hot dog roasters and marshmellow roasters ...

Dang, you are good. I was going to forage for sticks in my front yard...

I'm bringing name tags (and a marker) and a fold-up table and a battery-operated pumpkin. And apple something.

This week I went through the Viewed Me fellers and sent out about 20 invitations. Suggest that others consider this idea. (I don't see that any of them have decided to make this significant commitment yet, but it's a few days away.)
 veloise
Msg: 16 (view)

Hayride, Corn Maze and Bonfire October 18th 5:30p.m.
Posted: 10/9/2008 7:16:49 PM
So how do we get more fellas to sign up? LIVE NUDE GIRLS, or what??
 veloise
Msg: 11 (view)

Hayride, Corn Maze and Bonfire ... square dancing?
Posted: 10/7/2008 6:14:16 PM

I think this is an awesome idea..Something other than the bar....

Amen, sister!

The venue looks like a great place, going by their website. I call barn/square dances, and just asked the owner if he has a space to do that activity. It'll be nice to have a fun seasonal outdoor party (with tolerable air and decibels), while checking out a possible event site.

THANK YOU for setting this up! I'll bring something apple-y, either a jug of cider or a bowl of apples.

(Did POF change the upper limits on a "cover" charge? I got pushback over inviting people to a barn dance, $8 admission.)
 veloise
Msg: 58 (view)

Going out by yourself.
Posted: 9/16/2008 11:26:10 AM
The only reason to go out to a bar would be to meet people who hang out in bars, and to work on that lung cancer thing.

Try the contra dances in Baltimore (Lovely Lane church) and the DC area (Glen Echo Park). Great folks, pleasant music, no drunks falling off barstools or blowing smoke in your face.

HTH
 veloise
Msg: 17 (view)

Detroit mayor train wreck
Posted: 9/5/2008 1:27:51 PM
He's gone.
Now the adventure will be watching Council amend the city charter to provide them with the capability to remove a future crook...and to not let a convicted felon take office.

My gov sure handled that hearing well!
 veloise
Msg: 31 (view)

Dance etiquette - Extending hand then pulling back or slightly slapping hand.
Posted: 9/2/2008 4:46:29 AM
"...Massively White Labor Day party..."
Please reassure me that this was a costume party/dress code thing!

[have been to other colorful events]
 veloise
Msg: 15 (view)

Posted: 8/31/2008 7:10:38 AM
Today's headline:
MAYOR'S OFFER TO QUIT

Apparently his handlers have been brokering a deal to let him plead guilty to some of the felonies, be convicted, and serve probation, not jail time. He'd do community service, and sign over his state pension and benefits to the city as restitution. (Don't think that quite totals $8.4M.)

And Tuesday is the deadline, because the governor's removal hearing starts Weds.

(Gotta love the CHRIST RETURNS point size above the fold!)
 veloise
Msg: 354 (view)

It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin
Posted: 8/31/2008 7:03:09 AM
Sharing some interesting information here. (Funny how other threads about Palin have mysteriously evaporated within minutes.)

trendhunter dot com/photos/23808

youtube dot com/watch?v=13LRTrxC_fU

The Daily Kos site has much, much more.
 veloise
Msg: 24 (view)

Posted: 8/25/2008 7:28:43 PM
^^^ LOL. He's right. I have wasted the last 27 years of my life.
 veloise
Msg: 14 (view)

Posted: 8/24/2008 8:18:26 PM
No DNC trip for Kwame. (Gosh, what a shame.)
 veloise
Msg: 21 (view)

Posted: 8/24/2008 10:48:02 AM
Well???

I went to a Civil War ball last night, and thought about this a few times. All the fellers I asked to dance gratefully accepted.
 veloise

Your critique and suggestions are appreciated.
Posted: 8/21/2008 7:44:12 PM
Carts de visite, or CDV, are older than that. My Civil War re-enactor pards distribute ones with their portraits. Mr & Mrs Lincoln posed for a daguerreotype, and that's what's on their card. I've seen something similar used by folks who own unusual tandem bikes (say, four-seaters) and want to ride them more than the family schedules permit.

OP, send me a message and I'll refer you to the place that sends me free custom business cards. (Moderator note: I made some up that hawk POF, and as soon as they arrive I will be distributing them in my favorite places...watch for a jump from my town!)

Back in the era of little badges (70's) I found one that reads FREE AGENT. Maybe I'll dig it out and wear it. It's like running a special event sales booth and making sure that every item for sale has a price tag on it. Saves folks from having to ask. And it beats making eye contact in the produce aisle and slowly running your nekkid left hand through your hair!

OP, I see you've already done some tweaks. Bravo.
 veloise

Your critique and suggestions are appreciated.
Posted: 8/21/2008 10:51:23 AM
^^Nav, he's seeking a dance partner and (clothed) activity partner.

OP, since you filled out the "first date" section, you may as well take the plunge and select the "dating" option. Add some more photos, perhaps one of you holding adorable kid (his solo pic violates POF's rules).

Seems like you'd be swamped with solo ladies at dance events. Perhaps make yourself a subtle lapel pin that says Free Agent or Single. (Skiers do this at chair lifts, and solo square dancers do as well.) Maybe create some business cards that you can have your dance pals help distribute.

HTH
 veloise
Msg: 18 (view)

Posted: 8/21/2008 10:45:48 AM
OP, it's got to be something unique to that age group or census demographic.

When I am inviting someone to dance, I stand in front of him with a hand out and a big smile on my face. Gotten pretty good at determining which of the protests are half-hearted; I don't move or change expression, let alone discuss that vicious hangnail or lack of rhythm or inappropriate shoes. Sometimes there's a very definite "no," but usually my persistence pays off.

Extending a hand, and then pulling it back or slapping the potential partner's hand, is just...wrong. Either they need some help with dance floor etiquette, or they've invented some sort of new teasing tango-type move.

HTH
 veloise
Msg: 10 (view)

Would you please review my profile
Posted: 8/21/2008 10:30:20 AM
OP, your two photos don't do you justice. Run go get some more, taken in different venues and attire. (Since you mention jeans & T-shirt, I'd go with more of that, and less of the spaghetti strapped "gosh if I stare long enough maybe it'll fall off" evening gown perv magnet shot.)

Maybe take a pic of you and your broken leg (and the current cast situation), just to show your sense of fun. New Year's Eve souvenir

I can't believe all these helpful charming POF guys piling on to help you out! That's pretty cool!

HTH
 veloise

Please review, i just moved and edited profile to fit better. (update)
Posted: 8/21/2008 10:01:54 AM
*Great* new pics, Leo!
And I like your comments in the POF parties threads (asking about gals in your age range). Somebody's aunt is probably looking at that and saying, "he'd be perfect for my niece." Marketing yourself can only help. (Wouldn't hurt to attend anyway; us old broads can be fun to talk with.)

HTH
 veloise

Please review my profile (M, 45, Creative and Introspective)
Posted: 8/20/2008 10:55:14 AM
We, save yourself a thousand words (the old parable) and include a full body shot. Doesn't have to look like you're being arraigned; pose in a doorway or on a balcony or next to a large piece of earth-moving equipment. (Kidding! Fight that stereotype too!)

And read the profile writing tips thread for more good advice, in addition to that which you've gotten in this thread.

HTH
 veloise

Suggestions welcome
Posted: 8/20/2008 10:48:09 AM
OP, yes, most of your pics look sad. Especially the NYEve one where you are sitting by yourself on the ice sculpture. You'd be doing yourself a big favor by ditching all of those and replacing with one or two where you look happy. ("Smile, at least." Who said that?!?)

The flying pooch is one I've seen on websites, and since you are not in it, it does not comply with the POF terms.

Keep in mind that a profile can be a work in progress; there's no deadline. Make sure your dates line up (i.e. the ones mentioned by the poster who noticed the discrepancy). You might talk about how you need new friends to go for coffee and have fun, but you're still married so there's no dating at this time.

HTH
 veloise
Msg: 13 (view)

Posted: 8/20/2008 4:41:17 AM
Just as you predicted, the depths are starting to come out in the Freep.
Also some creative public commentary, posted various places in the city. While I don't like the idea of defacing traffic signs, the
STOP
Kwame
stencil is great.
 veloise

Please review, i just moved and edited profile to fit better.
Posted: 8/19/2008 4:42:30 PM
Hey OP! Better pics would help; you don't look like a happy guy. The flight suit makes you look like you're about to launch into outer space.

Where did you move from? You might mention your current neighborhood or area and what you like about it. Go ahead and name your favorite coffee house or deli or market or the place where the street musicians play on Weds nights.

Nice vocabulary, but I don't get a good conversational vibe from it. (Numismatics??) Co-ed ladyfish-type interests would help; most of yours seem to be solitary or competitive (the ball sports). And it reads like you don't like to go out or be sociable or be with people. How about dancing?

There's a lot of territory between "thrill seeker and couch potato." Just a wild guess: I doubt you'd be too happy with a gal who has surfer's thumb. You could narrow that down.

Going by your posts, you've been to some of the social events. Those can be fun (despite the smoky bar-loud music locations). How about looking through the list of people who are planning to attend and contacting them ahead of time? Find something interesting in their profiles and comment on it. Hey, you could list POF social events in your interests!

Read the profile writing tips thread?

HTH
 veloise

New and amazing!
Posted: 8/19/2008 4:29:32 PM
^^Nope, but we can help you enhance it.

Get a photo that makes you look good. I realize that tall fellas have trouble fitting into frame, but stand up straight. Got a nice shirt? Put down the rifle; can't see you at all in that one. How about a doorway to help provide scale? (My brother is 6'7" and he met his wife in the Towering Texans, a division of Tall Clubs Int'l. You might look them up!)

Delete the negatives about cheating and that's no bull and mind games and and how you hate them. No point in listing dislikes in your profile; stick with the "wants" and keep it positive.

Also delete the pauses and "um" lines:
Hello, I guess this is where I tell you a little about myself.
So here is a portion for anyone interested,
Well that is it for this little blurb
and any others I didn't see.

Might try staying on topic. You jump around from your height and life is great (are those correlated?), rock --> coffee shops --> career --> family. Whew! I am getting ADHD just from that paragraph! There's a great profile writing tips thread with much good advice; it's stickied at the top of the profile review forum.

I doubt that many women love motorcycles and muscle cars, and would consider them to be a "way of life." You might add some co-ed interests; your favorite place on the Riverwalk, the best tienda in El Marcado, how you like going to events like Fiesta or its many parades. (If you lived in NOLA, I'd send you to Mardi Gras.)

Be sure to post back in this thread when you're ready for more comments.

HTH
 veloise

Please read
Posted: 8/16/2008 11:18:13 AM
I can't message you because I live more than 75 miles away.
There is a fellow in your town who will show up on your searches if you look for fellows up to age 54 or so. His main photo shows him with a bicycle standing by a gas station price sign.
 veloise

Please read
Posted: 8/16/2008 7:16:36 AM
Hey babe, here's all that stands out to me:
--Handle is either a clever pun or a big red flag to an editor/writer.
--Are you a professional storyteller? Maybe clarify that sentence.
--More photos good. Different venues, situations, attire. Nice tight headshot, full body pics, indoors and out.
--Recumbent?!?!? What brand? Where's the pic?

You should at least go have coffee with the bike commuter who lives in your town. Look for his gas price photo. (Kids still at home, but everyone can use another friend, right?)

It's August, and folks are out enjoying the waning days of summer and extended daylight. (Getting dark at 9 pm is a big motivation to go outside already.) Your timing is perfect, even if POF doesn't seem to have yielded immediate results. (I've found that this is the best of the dating sites.)

HTH
 veloise
Msg: 9 (view)

Posted: 8/16/2008 7:08:36 AM
"McCain wants to send Kwame a thank-you card, but he doesn't know which court room to send it to."
--found on the Freep postings
 veloise

Who can help to review my profile? Thank you very much!
Posted: 8/15/2008 10:17:54 AM
Your new photos are lovely, especially the one in the yellow shirt.

Where in the world does your future man live? Are you looking in China or elsewhere? You might add that to your description.
 veloise

50ish guy requests reviews and sugestions
Posted: 8/15/2008 10:07:29 AM
OP, your chosen handle is intriguing, and I am curious about why you selected it. As the sister of a former Boy Scout, I have to admit that I don't get good feelings from it.

Your profile words look okay to me; nothing stands out as needing to be changed or tweaked. I'll confess I am not crazy about your numbered list of "more stuff" as it looks like something found in one of those round robin e-mails. (A male buddy used to send that stuff around constantly; so glad he grew up.)

HTH
 veloise

Feed me to the lions.
Posted: 8/15/2008 9:58:43 AM
I'd throw in the August factor, too. Vacations, being outside, getting every last bit of summer in now that the evening light is waning, especially in northern climes like yours and mine.

Try rotating your pics, see if that has any effect. And hang on a couple weeks, it's almost September!

HTH
 veloise
Msg: 4 (view)

Please review my profile..
Posted: 8/15/2008 9:54:30 AM
That's looking better.
You could be more specific on some interests. For instance, you list music. Performance? Playing what instrument? In a symphony or a band or at Tuba Christmas once a year? Or just listening? In that case, what genre - classical, rock, country, Cajun & Zydeco, community band, Sousa marches? At what venues?

Similarly, "computers" could mean you've installed your own upgrades and peripherals, worked in IT or tech support, or merely like surfing the web. Could "drawing" be "sketching"? Be sure to include co-ed activities. "Shopping" causes most guys' eyes to roll back in their heads.

You can also describe some interests more fully in your profile. "I love classic films and their quotable lines. Round up the usual suspects. You're gonna need a bigger boat. Fiddle-dee-dee."

When I do a photo session, I might take 20 shots in the same setting (leaves room to cull). And when I see another fishie with a good pose, I think about that and develop my own interpretation. (Recently saw a guy on a playground swing; wheee! I want that shot too!) You might take your camera around with you for a week and shoot yourself (or have a friend help) in various settings. Some say that you shouldn't have pics of children on here, but I would think one showing a family group or several friends would be OK.

Others will be chiming in...

HTH
 veloise

Posted: 8/14/2008 9:19:48 PM
Wow, today was quite the adventure. One judge negated the travel and wearing the tether, "sure, you need to go to the Democratic convention." Quickly followed by another judge saying, "no, you don't have authority to do that, the tether stays, and K2 does too, in Wayne-Oakland-Macomb."

Then Obama's staff announces that they don't want K2 at the convention.

McFail asks the gov for a pardon, and the response comes back: you can't pardon someone with only charges filed, has to be a conviction first. (Can't believe that Ms Electric Chair is an attorney.)

Oh, and he's on vacation, then he's not. Sheesh, just go to the CAY and put your feet up like always, try to stay out of more trouble.

Bets are K2 won't last through Labor Day.
 veloise

How to be creative . . . about meeting on the Internet . .? ?
Posted: 8/14/2008 9:06:47 PM
This is the profile review thread...would you like an evaluation?

As a dating site, POF is more designed to help like-minded folks meet for dating. If all you want is chatting, you might be better served on another site.

HTH
 veloise

Review this profile
Posted: 8/14/2008 9:04:49 PM
OP, please delete this line from your profile:
"I would like to take my future partner out dancing and watch her shake her booty."

Immediately.

My quick take (I cannot read that solid block of text) is that previous GFs of yours have been chatterboxes. And that you are the strong, silent type. Talking is very subjective, and needs to happen as you get to know someone. I'd remove at least one of those repetitions.

More after you've added some paragraph breaks!

HTH

Show ALL Forums