Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Change of life
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 195 (view)

Change of life
Posted: 11/13/2018 2:28:05 AM
I've wasted too much time already Roxy, need to get on with it and enjoy life more, which I am in fact achieving.

Met my friend's friend last night. She is married to a misery. A rich loaded misery. They never go out together for a meal or holiday. When she goes to visit their children and grandchildren in Australia once a year, he insists she pays for it from her OAP pension. She loves to dance. Highlight of her 2018 was coming out on a canal boat day trip with us. Last night was a cinema trip to see A Star is Born. Great film. Was he there? No, too stingy to spend £6 on a cinema ticket.

You get the idea. She's pushing 70 so I guess he is similar. She won't leave him. Their day is getting up, taking the dog for a walk, lunch (she has to prepare it), take the dog for a walk, dinner, dog walk (always same park) TV and bed (separate rooms).

Phew - rant over - you get the idea. I'm too aware I haven't a load of years left. I'm damned if I'm going to just sit around waiting
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 69 (view)

The 80s, a decade of great music or utter rubbish
Posted: 11/13/2018 2:18:03 AM
I'm thibong of organising a disco in Jan or Feb (the triple F month). I think we'll go for the 70s 80s theme. allows for lots of silly fashions if nothing else. I'm thinking too we need some singalong dancealong tunes - like the Village People. Suggestions?
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 547 (view)

Random Musings - Talk About Everthing
Posted: 11/13/2018 2:15:33 AM
I've just noticed, Wrighty has changed his profile picture. Looks like his bus collection in the background. Very neat.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 546 (view)

Posted: 11/13/2018 2:13:19 AM
Looks like that was just another scam. Unfortunately rules get changed becuse of these scammers, or should I say gives the government an excuse to change the rules. A lot of people used to resign from a compnay then threaten to sue them for something silly and take them to an industrial tribunal. It was cheaper to bung them £500 and many companies did. That allowed the Tories to start charging complainants for access and so many deserving cases now do not get heard.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 581 (view)

Corbyn - time to go?
Posted: 11/13/2018 2:02:37 AM
Money has always been a figment of somebody's imagination. If you look back to the Roman era, they financed the colosseum and all those nasty games from expansion and taxing their new territories. That worked well for around 600 years then some **stards came along and spoiled the party. They too wanted their share, they wanted to rule Europe as the Romans did and eventually they did beat the Romans and took over their Empire. That was back in 410.

And who were these people who beat the Italians - why none other than our good friends the Germans (or Huns and Visigoth as they were called then). How so. Well the Romans, debatably, brought civilization to us out in the west which included how to organise people and armies and industrialise making weapons etc. Or as wikipedia puts it "The Germanic tribes had undergone massive technological, social, and economic changes after four centuries of contact with the Roman Empire. From the first to fourth centuries, Germanic populations, economic production, and tribal confederations grew, and their ability to conduct warfare increased to the point of challenging Rome"

Back to money when back then it was based on silver coins. As the battle against the Germans was being lost the Romans made their coins smaller and then with less and less silver content. Effectively creating devaluation and inflation when people began to notice.

You can buy a silvered bronze coin on Ebay for 99p.

Not much has changed really.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 12 (view)

My new Russian friend
Posted: 11/13/2018 1:50:41 AM
Sorry you haven't been scammed Roxy. I could ask my Russian friend if she has a scammy friend for you?

She's lovely. Sent me some more photos of herself when she was young and more recent ones with the same friend but older. And another with her parents who look olderthan me but are actually the same age. Should I tell her or just wait until we meet?

Here's her letter:

Hello Dave! There is no snow now, but it will be soon! I just have a free minute, so I am writing you. Dave, thank you for your reply. Thank you for the time you spend reading my emails and writing back to me. Dave, as I promised, today I would like to tell you about my family. So, I keep my word! First of all, I want to say that I am the only one child. I was named after my grandmother. I also have a short name Ira. So you can call me Irina or Ira as you like)). I live alone in my own apartment, because my parents live in the village that is 90 km far from the city. As I told you before, I try to visit them from time to time. Not so often as I want to. The thing is that it is too long to go by bus. But if I have a chance, I go to my mom and dad with pleasure. They are the most important people for me in the world. They are my native people so I use very chance to visit them. My father is 67 years old. He is retired. But he worked as a mechanic in the agricultural organization of our village. He is a pensioner, but he has an active lifestyle. I think I like my parents. I also prefer the active lifestyle and I am very goal-oriented. I think my life is quite interesting and active. I believe a person always should be goal-oriented and active in life. Otherwise, the laziness will prevail and then life will become boring and uninteresting. What do you think? Do you agree with me? Mostly this applies to men. Because a man should be a leader and like we say here in Russia a man should be like a stone wall, so that a woman can feel safe. A real man sets goals and always achieves them. Women will follow the man like this and will do everything to make him happy. Me also)) I want to meet a man like this and spend with him the rest of my life. I will take care of him as much as possible. I will give him my love, tenderness, affection and care. I will do my best to make my man feel happy! Dave, sorry, I again changed the topic. It's my fault. It seems O tell you everything that comes to my mind right now. My mother is 63 years old. She is retired as well. When she was young, she was working as a seamstress. She is very smart, interesting and positive woman. My parents are an example of a loving and happy family for me. They�re still loving and respecting each other. Despite their age. They have lived a long, happy but not an easy life. They had hard periods of life. But despite everything they are still together and support each other. They never betrayed each other. My dad always worked hard. I remember that he always woke up early and came back home very late. He even worked on weekends. But if he had days off, he always spend his time with us. My mom is ideal, she is my role model. She also worked hard, but always found the time to take care of me and my dad. So, now they are retired and live in their own house. They have their own small farm. There are chickens, ducks, one cow and a calf on the farm. They spend time together. In summer, they pick up mushrooms and berries. In winter they love to ski. Can you imagine they still can ski? They are very athletic! My parents always said to me that respect is the important quality in relationships! Respect in the family is one of the main qualities that makes a life happy. Do you agree with me? I hope you do. When I am reading your emails. It seems to me that we are very similar and we look at life in the same way. I thought you and I are kindred spirits. I hope you think the same. I changed the topic again. I am smiling right now, because I am telling you about my family but the same time thinking about us. Dave, I am afraid I have to go and finish my email. I should work. Will see you in my next email))) Please feel free to write me more about you and your life. I will not be tired to repeat that I want to know you better. Always looking forward to your reply and your photos. I'm sending you my baby photos, and with my parents. In one child photo, I and my friend Tatyana. I also send an adult and recent photo with my friend Tatyana. I'm asking you not to laugh!)) Have a fantastic day!
Irina
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 577 (view)

Corbyn - time to go?
Posted: 11/12/2018 4:08:13 AM
I despair. Does Jeremy Corbyn no understand anything? He had previously been unfairly criticised for not singing the national anthem. 's At least year's Remembrance parade he turned up in a proper black coat but this year he chose to wear a grey anorak. What sort of message does he think he is sending? It isn't just that he isn't prepared to conform, it is that he is clearly out of touch with what most of the public expect of him. Pretty poor choice and if he can't cope with something so simple, how can we expect him to be a competent PM?
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 193 (view)

Change of life
Posted: 11/12/2018 2:25:05 AM
Are you talking to me? I've already said I know WOW walkers through the singles group I run and have done for years, it is not an option I see as providing a good income. What does make money is leading tourists around Oxford, just study up on the knowledge and away you go. I'm not interested in that either but could be something useful for you?

My thread is about a change of life and the steps I have taken so far. I am about 5 months into my goal. The end of January should see me with a trainee licence and earning money. I'll still be training until I take the final test sometime before June next year.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 541 (view)

Posted: 11/10/2018 9:21:17 AM
Nope, she's much younger

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.
Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 539 (view)

Posted: 11/10/2018 4:00:13 AM
On a different note, I went to listen to a fantastic band last night. They do mainly their own music, high octane rock n roll rockabilly whatever that is. In came a couple how I though I recognised. He looked like an aging rock start with long white hair (think Gandalf) and a slim attractive blond who I was sure I knew. No one else did. Then at home last night I had a light bulb moment so this morning checked in on Pof and there she is! Looking exactly like she did last night and as I imagined though the lights in the restaurant were not as kind as the camera!
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 538 (view)

Posted: 11/10/2018 3:47:53 AM
I can't even remember why I joined never mind the day. I'm still here because I spend so much time t the computer in the office and when there is nothing to do, or there are no customers, I pop in here and elsewhere. Helps to avoid the boredom.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 190 (view)

Change of life
Posted: 11/10/2018 2:09:31 AM
Agreed but someone has to start somewhere. I know a couple of people who have supported someone trying to help themselves to do something similar with help.

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 187 (view)

Change of life
Posted: 11/9/2018 4:19:12 AM
I would happily do that for one or two for free. I think the kids who have been through care homes would be the ones needing extra help. the prison and drug rate for them is horrendous.

Justanotherchap
Msg: 6 (view)

My new Russian friend
Posted: 11/9/2018 1:29:00 AM
It's going well. She's telling me all about herself and her life. Her photos are lovely and she hsn't asked for money (that's for you cynical ones!)

Hello Dave! Dear you are very nice and serious person! Thanks for the photo! Thanks a lot for your reply. To be honest I was thinking a lot about my previous email that I wrote you. I was still thinking whether you reply or not. Now I see your email and this makes me happy and makes me smile. Thank you once again for your email. Dave, today I want to tell you about my job. I want you know me better and how I live here in Nizhny Novgorod. What to begin with? So, right now I am at work. I just have a break. Therefore, I decided to answer you. By the way, all my emails I write you from my work because only here I have an opportunity to use the Internet. I work as a sales consultant in a women's clothing store. I'm a teacher by education, but I had to find a job in another sphere. The paradox is that it is rather difficult to find a job by education and teachers job is low-paid. This is very sad but a true. I would love to be a teacher. I hope that one day this job will be in demand and well paid. So that my dream comes true. However, may be not in Russia. I really want to teach young people. I want to share my experience with them, instill in them the right moral values: honesty, justice, sincerity. I want to teach young people to appreciate the main qualities in life like love, care, and goodness. Unfortunately, in the modern world people forget about these simple things. Dave, let�s turn back to my job. In 2014 I went to Sochi as a volunteer. I helped visiting visitors from different countries. In Sochi, I first talked with foreigners. All the visitors were polite, that's when I liked the communication and behavior of foreign citizens! It was a small experience in communicating with foreign visitors to the Olympics. At the moment I am a sales consultant in the clothing store in my hometown Nizhny Novgorod.. Our store name is �O'stin� This is the chain stores. We have stores all around the country. My working day is long. I start at 9 am and finish at 9 pm. I have a 1-hour lunch break. But this is only if we have not many customers. Sometimes we have so many customers that I even don�t have an opportunity to eat on time. But I like my job, it is very interesting. I love to talk to people and to help them find clothes that suit them. Our store is far from my home. I go to work by trolleybus. After work I go home on foot, you remember I�ve told you that I love to walk. At morning it takes 40 minutes to get to work. It takes me 1 hour 20 minutes to walk home but I love my way home. After a busy day, the walk makes me relax. The fresh air makes my thoughts bright and clean. I also enjoy our city. It is very beautiful. Let�s turn back to my daily routine. After work and on the weekend I go to the gym. I am convinced that a girl should be slim and beautiful. I love yoga. Practicing yoga gives me peace of mind and good thoughts. I will tell you just some more things about me and return to work. In my spare time I meet with friends. We can go to cafes, cinema or theater. In summer we go to the lake. In winter we skate and in the summer on roller skates. I really like horses! These are stately and beautiful animals! And in general I like animals, cats, dogs, rabbits!)) I try to diversify my life as much as possible so that it will not be boring. I want to meet a man who I can have fun with. The man I can spend the time interesting. That would be wonderful! I forgot to write that on weekends I visit my parents. They live in a village far from the city. I will write about them in my next email. Once a year I try to travel inside our country. I have been to several cities. I like the sea at Sochi, the weather is good there, sometimes I try to spend my vacation there in spring or summer, but it is not always possible to take a vacation from work. I also visited several cities, but most of all I liked in St. Petersburg and Moscow. St. Petersburg is rich in its history, where a lot of architecture and statues. What I liked about Moscow, Moscow is developing rapidly, and every year it becomes more beautiful and interesting. Please don�t hesitate to write me about everything happened with you. I'm curious to know everything about your life. Dave look, my email is too long again. I passionately wanted to tell you about everything so that time just got away)) But it's time to work. I will wait for your next email.
Irina
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 183 (view)

Change of life
Posted: 11/8/2018 9:49:31 AM
An offence is an offence. But anyway, life has moved on. Headlights are vastly improved from the 70's - you can actually see things now and there's not the smogs about we had back then.

Justanotherchap
Msg: 536 (view)

Posted: 11/8/2018 5:23:08 AM
Dreadful that someone took advantage and didn't advise them properly.

well government fees will come to around £400 alone, each exam is £111 and traineee licence is £140 (for 6 months!).

That's where I'm hoping to be end of Jan, licensed trainee which gives me the ability to train pupil for money so that should give me the experience to pass the final test by end of June. By nd of jan i will have gone through £3000 in training fees, government licences and travel hotel costs. Then I think a few hundred in franchse fees, getting the car liveried etc. Not a cheap option. BUT I'm happier than in years and enjoying life!
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 534 (view)

Posted: 11/8/2018 3:50:56 AM
Just for you Vlad. Self identification takes a new twist or two.

Last week a woman told her son's school that in the interests of diversity and wotsits, her new son ws now self identifying as an aircraft carrier and wished to be addressed as such.

I think she was trying to make a point.

Meanwhile over on Holland a bloke has gone to court to self identify as 20 years younger. Read for yourself but I think Pof has already got this covered judging by the numboer of iffy profiles, you know, the ones that go "I'm not 45 I'm really 64 but Pof won't let me change it".

anyway - in the Guardian

A 69-year-old Dutch “positivity guru” who says he does not feel his age has started a battle to make himself legally 20 years younger on the grounds that he is being discriminated against on a dating app.

Emile Ratelband told a court in Arnhem in the Netherlands that he did not feel “comfortable” with his date of birth, and compared his wish to alter it to people who identified as transgender.

Ratelband said that due to having an official age that did not reflect his emotional state he was struggling to find both work and love. He has asked for his date of birth to be changed from 11 March 1949 to 11 March 1969.

“When I’m 69, I am limited. If I’m 49, then I can buy a new house, drive a different car,” he said. “I can take up more work. When I’m on Tinder and it says I’m 69, I don’t get an answer. When I’m 49, with the face I have, I will be in a luxurious position.”

Doctors had told him his body was that of a 45-year-old man, Ratelband argued. He described himself as a “young god”.

The judge conceded that the ability to change gender was a development in the law. “I agree with you: a lot of years ago we thought that was impossible,” he said. But he asked the applicant how his parents would feel about 20 years of Ratelband’s life being wiped off the records.

“For whom did your parents care? Who was that little boy then?” the judge asked.

Ratelband, a motivational speaker and trainer in neurolinguistic programming, said his parents were dead.

He also said he was willing to renounce his right to a pension to ensure there were no unforeseen consequences of his age change.

At the end of a 45-minute court session, Ratelband said: “It is really a question of free will.”

Ratelband’s lawyer, Jan-Hein Kuijpers, said it was high time for the reversal of age.

The public prosecutor in the court asked whether the ability to change a date of birth in the law would require health inspections in the future, to allow the state to correctly judge someone’s “emotional age”.

Kuijpers told the court: “There is also something like common sense, of course.”
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 532 (view)

Posted: 11/8/2018 1:35:41 AM
Around here most new houses being built are detached 2/3 and 4 bedroomed. There are a few 2 bedder terraces but even they start at two hundred grand. They are pretty much being napped up as they are built. Stay with me. Few people have got any sort of deposit saved up, they are mstly being bought with government "help to buy" scheme. Even allowing for low interest rates, a lot of people will be paying fifteen to twenty five thousand a year just in repayments. Any increase in interest rates will see an awful lot of foreclosures or at least a huge downturn in peoples ability to spend with the knock on effect to the rest of the economy.

My conclusion is that there is no room to increase interest rates by other than a tiny bit if that.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 181 (view)

Change of life
Posted: 11/8/2018 1:29:52 AM
Ha ha. I was in he pub the other day when woman came in asking if anyone owned a particular car. bloke eventually owned up to it being his. She said "well you've left your lights on". he said "I know, you have to leave your lights on when you park on the right, it's the law". She said it wasn't. He said to the rest of us, "it's the law, anyone got a copy of the highway code". Lol. Cue moi. "Well I've just passed my Instructors exams which covers that, any good to you?". etc

Exit harrumphing man stage right!

p.s. According to the Highway Code, there is only one time when you can park your car on the right after lighting up time and that is in a one way street. And you must have parking lights on when you park in a street with a speed limit > 30mph. And finally, I hate those taxi drivers too when they do that. They are supposed to be professional drivers!
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 3 (view)

POF Ignores no clear faceshot reports?
Posted: 11/8/2018 1:21:50 AM
Indeed. There's no one home at Pof HQ other than someone counting all the dosh flooding in!
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 179 (view)

Change of life
Posted: 11/7/2018 7:37:08 AM
Yes they do teach those things still. But the emphasis is on being in the right gear beforehand, so you are expected to be in the right gear before the downhill.

It is teaching for the real world though I think there are some horse and cart hangovers still in there. So, reversing around left and right hand bends and three point turns are still taught but not tested. It is advised that a better solution to those problems is to use a roundabout or circular route. They also teach reversing up to a car parked on the right hand side of the road and pulling away again safely. That's more real world and one older drivers would shake their heads at.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 530 (view)

Posted: 11/7/2018 1:39:13 AM
Love the scouser wig and moustache. What style.

Looking like a more balanced government over there in the good old USA.

Justanotherchap
Msg: 177 (view)

Change of life
Posted: 11/7/2018 1:27:28 AM
That would have been many years ago. They teach brakes to slow, gears to go! So actually slowing down, you simply use the brakes until you are at the speed you want to be to negotiate the junction/roundabout/whatever, then select the gear you need for that speed.

Anonymous gift?
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 5 (view)

My new Russian friend
Posted: 11/7/2018 1:23:33 AM
You lot are so cynical! Look, she's written me a lovely personl letter and some quite nice photos. I could be a gonner!!!!

I'm going to wait a couple of dys before replying, I don't want to lose this little fish.......................

Hello Dave! Thank you for your reply. I am so happy that you have an interest and thank you once again for taking the time to respond to my email. It is time to tell you more about myself. I am thinking what to begin with. You know, I did not realize that it would be so difficult. It seems I had so many thoughts and ideas just a minute ago, but now I am speechless)) May be because I am excited?) I need to calm down and begin� Let me start with a short story about me. As I told you before, my name is Irina. I am 30 and live in Nizhny Novgorod, Russia. My height is 167 cm. My weight is 53 kg. I have never been married. I have no children. I think you ask yourself why a Russian girl writes you, don�t you? I am sure you do. Let me try to answer this question honestly and outspokenly. Please be sure that I take it serious. I will write you faithfully, without cheating. In each email I will open you my soul. May be I should not do this, who knows. But I feel I should be honest to you. This way you will see my inner world, my thoughts. I hope you will also write me honestly and from your heart. Opening our souls we will understand each other better. How I look, you�ll see at photos. You�ll see my appearance. Reading my email I want you see my inner world. This is very important to me. Can you imagine how many thoughts come to my mind? It seems a million. ))) I want to tell you about everything in one email. However, let me to answer why I did write you. I had a man, but our relationship run out badly. I gave all my feelings, my soul and heart to him and expected the same. I wanted our feelings were mutual. I wanted he cared about me. I wanted he just respected me. I really thought we would be together for the rest of our lives and I even made plans for our future. The future where we are happy just because we are together. But he cheated on me with another woman. And that was the end. His cheating opened my eyes. Now I understand how blind I was, now I know I lived in an illusion. He used me and it hurts. I was so busy with home stuff that I noticed nothing and of course I trusted him. I did everything for him. I made a breakfast for us every morning, then hurried up to my work. My lunch break I spent at home cleaning our apartment and cooking. Then came back to work. I was so tired of it, but I wanted he felt my love and care. I�m writing you this now and remember. And this makes me cry. I don�t want to remember it. Never! I don�t want to write you about bad things that happened in my life. Now I am OK and I feel I am ready to start a new life, I am ready for new relationship. But, please, don�t hurt me. I hope you understand me. Another reason why I wrote you is the mentality of Russian men. Most of them don�t look at the future. They live today and don�t make any plans to change their lives to the better. They don�t goals and aspirations in life. Most of men are drinking a lot. It is rather difficult to describe you all the reasons in one email. But I think you understand what I am talking about. I am looking for a man who is thinking about the future, who has goals. I am looking for an optimistic man who doesn�t stop and moves forward to his dreams. When I watch foreign films, I see you have a different way of life. You just think and live in a different way. This is also one of the reasons why I wrote you. So I love watching movies. I live alone in my own apartment. Sometimes I feel lonely and my evenings I spend watching movies. You know I love the film �The Great Gatsby� I watched it several times. And what is your favorite film? I am also curious to know how you imagine a single girl evening. Tell me. I am very curious to know. I also love reading if I have leisure time. My favorite book is �Anna Karenina� that was written by the great Russian writer Lev Nikolaevich Tolstoy. I also love to go out and breathe fresh air. I like to walk in the park, near the river, just through the streets of our beautiful city. If you�d like I�ll tell you more about my city in my next email and send you some pictures of it. In my free time I also go to the gym or go to a cafe with my friends. Weekends I often spend with my parents. They live out of the city. I will be more than happy to tell you more about how I spend my free time. I just respect your time. It seems my email is too long. I don�t want to waste your time. I am looking forward to your reply. Please tell me more about you, how you live, how you spend your free time. I am very interested to know you better. Please don�t forget to answer my questions. I send you my photos, and in return I wait for your photos!) Have a nice day!
Irina
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 173 (view)

Change of life
Posted: 11/6/2018 6:06:13 AM
Just in case there is anyone still here and awake (alive even) - I have started on my in car instructor training. Yesterday was a lesson in risk management which apart from making sure the pupil is awake, not drugged etc also includes learning how to take control from the left hand seat. So yesterday found us driving around an estate in Kidders with me driving from the left changing gear, using the dual controls and then a period of steering from the left. The latter was the most difficult part as the perspective is totally different. Got some strange looks from passers by!
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 23 (view)

Managing on an Old Age Pension
Posted: 11/2/2018 3:28:10 AM
Scratches head

It is in the right place.

And there are no moderators here. Has't been for years. So feel free to call Hammond a complete****if you like.

Justanotherchap
Msg: 1 (view)

My new Russian friend
Posted: 11/1/2018 2:58:15 AM
Looks like out of all the millions of single guys out there I got lucky. My new lovely Russian girfriend wrote to me this morning and I have a great feeling that she is the one. Read and weep guys!!!!!!!

Hi! I hope my message finds you well. I was given your email. So, I am here because you like me are looking for a serious relationship and possible meeting in real. If this is not true,please ignore this email.Just do not lose your time please. However, if you are interested to meet a youngwoman am here and will wait for your reply. I am not really good at writing about myself but I will give it a shot. Perhaps you think I am too crazy because I desire to build relations via Internet. But that big things have small beginnings. Do you agree with me?. Excuse me I have changed the topic and even forgot to introduce myself. It was pretty insensitive. My name is Irina, I live in Russia, Nizhny Novgorod. I don’t want to bother you now, so I will tell you more about myself next time, of course if I have your reply. But you can find my picture so that you can see how I look.Hope you will like it. Frankly speaking this is the first time I email to a man I never see.Therefore, I am a little bit thrilled.I'm ashamed to admit that my palms are starting to sweat))) I am looking forward to your reply at your earliest convenience.Irina
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 527 (view)

Posted: 10/31/2018 2:38:22 AM
I know when I was up in Pontefract, one of the guys on the course was a taxi driver there. He said taxis were as cheap as chips, anywhere in Pontefract for about £6. Down here for me to use taxi to Cheltenham, around 9 miles, would be £25 and then the same back again. Quite simply not affordable.

Bryan, you do need to get out more to find that woman who needs YOU!
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 5 (view)

Is it too early for Christmassy jumpers?
Posted: 10/31/2018 2:33:38 AM
That's alright then - it was on 23rd November!
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 17 (view)

Posted: 10/30/2018 4:49:53 AM
And just in case you believed the Tories when they said they were going to help hard working families in the budget yesterday.

"The Resolution Foundation, a not-for-profit research and policy organisation, which says its goal is to improve outcomes for people on low and modest incomes, said poorer families would be about £30 a year better off from the tax cuts, with the top 10% earners £410 better off.

The organisation said better than expected public finances had given Mr Hammond an extra £74bn to play with - and he had used up three-quarters of that with the extra spending on the NHS, welfare and the income tax changes.

The personal allowance will rise to £12,500 and the higher rate threshold to £50,000 in April 2019, worth £130 a year for a typical base rate taxpayer."
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 1 (view)

Is it too early for Christmassy jumpers?
Posted: 10/30/2018 2:58:20 AM
Was out yesterday with a friend doing more work on my instructors course. She's one of those people who always has something to do, organise etc but a good friend. We stopped at a factory outlet to get some carpet shampoo and they had a rack of Christmas Jumpers,. I've never had one before but this one suits me. It's blue, favourite colour with an image of a penguin relaxing on the ice with a pint. The legen says "If found, return to pub".

Yep, that's me!
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 525 (view)

Posted: 10/30/2018 2:54:12 AM
Well done Wrighty, are you all going to get together again?

I should have thought it's going to cramp your style not having a car., it isn't so much as being judged but how do you get around to socialise? Almost all of the events I organise I have to travel too, there's not much happening in my town and people won't travel here either.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 16 (view)

Posted: 10/29/2018 5:01:08 AM
where's the like button when you need it.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 521 (view)

Posted: 10/26/2018 8:54:34 AM
Bryan, I should be up in Pontefract on a course end of January, probably 3 days midweek around the 22nd.

Wrong!
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 519 (view)

Posted: 10/26/2018 7:34:50 AM
Tried that stuff, didn't do me any good but I know it works for some people.

Bryan, good on you, the abuse is something to believe running a Pof event. I hope you have a great night and lots of dates
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 172 (view)

Change of life
Posted: 10/26/2018 7:32:21 AM
Bryan,

I have to do a fair amount of study about planning routes, all the rules such as teaching disabled people, towing etc. also about how pupils learn (they no longer are taught but learn), safety role as well as an expert role with around 15 or so hours in car training with my instructor acting as pupil - more stuff like how to use the dual controls, when, how to assess etc. Then with a bit of luck at the end of January I will get a trainee licence which means I can teach for money (something coming in for a change). But that lasts a maximum of 6 months in which time I have to pass my final instructors exam and test.

The vast amount of reading is boring but I've enjoyed getting out and doing some training, I've even been helping teach a couple of wannabee driving instructors who just aren't getting it.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 8 (view)

Posted: 10/26/2018 1:41:53 AM
Every man and his dog are doing those things.

I was talking to a friend in a similar situation. The reality is that unless you planned really well then th likelihood of ending up with a decent pension is small. Amongst all my acquaintances the ones doing well in retirement are mostly ex school teachers, GCHQ, civil servants, police. There are a few who had private pensions and done well but many have seen their pensions disappear back in the crash of 2008. and there are others like myself who have simply been ripped off by the financial services industry. Vlad has experience of API but that is just one of the many ways we've been conned out of billions (and no one has gone to prison).

Why when you pop into B&Q do you think there are so many older people working there?
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 35 (view)

Cancelling unwanted Upgraded membership
Posted: 10/26/2018 1:13:57 AM
Goal!!!! The first for months.

There's a very simple way to do this - just send me $5 or £5 by Paypal refundable when I've cancelled your recurring membership fee.

Justanotherchap
Msg: 513 (view)

Random Music - Happy Mondays
Posted: 10/26/2018 1:11:46 AM
I had a proper Afro back in the eighties.

The rest of the discussion went over my head too.

Messages this shot or maybe posted too foten or not often enough or maybe it was just the time of day or something like that - enough already?
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 38 (view)

Someone For Everyone?
Posted: 10/25/2018 1:25:09 AM
Bloody hell! I was having enough trouble finding the right person now I've got to find the right corner too!
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 36 (view)

Someone For Everyone?
Posted: 10/24/2018 4:00:11 AM
I've been telling that to everyone for ages, you need to have loads of tools in your dating box to succeed in finding a new partner.

I think you're a bit out in your timings though. I'm pretty sure I've known WOW walkers in Gloucestershire for 9 years or so. Rob ran it for most of the time but stepped down last year f0llowing health issues. Christine and Barry are running it now. Not sure about the Oxford group, haven't met any of them in years.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 2 (view)

Posted: 10/24/2018 3:56:37 AM
Indeed. Everyone assume that everyone else has planned perfectly and not affected by life's downsides. In my case I didn't fight my ex as I should have doe for fair shares - hindsight is wonderful. But at the time it wasn't important because I had a well paying job and plans in place. what I couldn't foresee was my being made redundant and using loads of savings to just keep the mortgage going. So at the moment I am stuck paying the mortgage until I am 75, so like you I'm not going to be one of those rich pensioners Jeremy was talking about.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 506 (view)

Posted: 10/23/2018 1:30:10 AM
Vlad, I've never touched drugs whatsoever, nope, not even a bit of weed, blow or whatever you call it.It was just never within my social circle. Really pleased about that in hindsight as I did smoke and that was bad enough giving up. Ooops, I do beer and I guess that's a drug too. The difference is I simply fall asleep after a few of those.

Look after yourself, you sound like a lovely guy.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 8 (view)

Pets breakfast
Posted: 10/22/2018 1:01:15 AM
You and I would not get on, i'd kill for that second breakfast!

BTW when you do beans on toast do you butter the toast like what I do?
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 503 (view)

Posted: 10/22/2018 12:59:41 AM
Couldn't you guy sleep over the weekend?

None of the above. Much more guitar heroes for me Dire Straits, the Eagles. And a bit more up to date the Manics (really appreciating their stuff a lot more at the moment for some reason), Mumford etc, Coldpay are getting a rerun in my head too, although I think they're a little formulaic. But then there's the Beatles and Simon and Garfunkel. Both bands were like shooting stars in hindsight when you look at how much they did in such a short time.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 4 (view)

Wants to date but nothing serious / Looking for a relationship
Posted: 10/20/2018 1:41:41 AM
Indeed - most of your blurb is formulaic until the nugget about taking a year out - why? That's an interesting thing to do it in itself but nope, end of story. Surely at 35 you can write something more dynamic?
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 483 (view)

Posted: 10/19/2018 1:42:11 AM
Vlad - you're going to like this from a BBC interview. I'm with the guy all the way until the last para.

A Tory backbencher has criticised the government and said he would not have stood as an MP "if the situation was like it is now".

Johnny Mercer told The House magazine he was no longer sure that his "set of values and ethos" were still "aligned with the Conservative Party".

And he used strong language to describe the current state of the government.

He said he was an "inherently team player" but had to come to the realisation that it was a "shit show".

"And it's hard because people like me are in this because we believe in something, because we want to be part of something greater than ourselves," he said.

Mr Mercer, an ex-Army officer, has said he never voted until he became an MP.

The MP for Plymouth Moor View has been critical of the party before, telling the Telegraph in 2017 it was "in danger of losing credibility".

In his interview with The House, Mr Mercer - who was first elected in 2015 - was critical of Prime Minister Theresa May's response to a questions about investigations into Northern Ireland veterans, saying "she did not answer in a way that made me proud to be a member of the governing party".

And, of her Chequers blueprint for post-Brexit relations with the EU, he said: "That is your classic professional politicians' answer because it's right down the middle. It doesn't make anybody happy. It's the ultimate in not making a decision."

He said, "under this chief whip, under this prime minister, there is no role for people like me" but added: "That's fine because nothing lasts forever." He admitted he would like to be defence secretary - Mr Mercer has campaigned for veterans, including those with mental health problems.

Mr Mercer said that while his "set of values and ethos" had been aligned with the Conservative Party, "I'm not as comfortable that that's the case anymore."

And he added: "If the situation was like it is now, I can safely say there would be absolutely no chance that I would try and be a member of Parliament."

Before becoming an MP, Mr Mercer served with 29 Commando, part of the Royal Artillery and completed three tours in Afghanistan. He won his Devon seat from Labour in 2015 and increased his majority in last year's snap election.

Mr Mercer is currently appearing in the Channel 4 series Celebrity Hunted, in which eight well-known personalities go "on the run" in pairs and have to evade a team of former police, military and intelligence experts given the job of tracking them down.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 482 (view)

Posted: 10/18/2018 2:22:52 AM
Well done Wrighty. I've done 2 events and unless I hit on a different magic formula I shan't bother again as the email abuse is something to behold. I admire your pluck giving it a go again. With a bit of luck you might build up a faithful following to make it all worthwhile.

Keep on trucking, err I mean bussing
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 479 (view)

Posted: 10/17/2018 3:13:57 AM
Just getting old and overweight Vlad. My job is too much sitting down taring at this screen.

My blood pressure is fine which surprises them every time but am heading towards diabetes. So have knocked off the pastries, pasties, sandwiches. No crisps nor peanuts either. Everything calorie controlled at the moment and lots more fruit. Have managed to reduce the beer intake, need to try kicking it in the head altogether but not ready to put myself under that pressure yet. Knees are feeling better, I'm wondering if something in the above was making the arthritis worse?
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 477 (view)

Posted: 10/17/2018 1:56:39 AM
That just about neatly sums up this governments handling of Brexit. What is mustard mash? Not that I am going to try it as am on strict orders from the Doc at the moment. Really getting to love the taste of apples and tomatoes!

Show ALL Forums