Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: What no deviled eggs thread?
 texasbaby
Msg: 25 (view)

What no deviled eggs thread?
Posted: 11/21/2013 8:47:12 PM
Guacamole Deviled Eggs

6 hard boiled eggs, cut in half remove yolks to bowl
1 avocado, peeled, pit removed, add avocado to bowl with yolks
1 T lime juice
1/4 t salt
1/4 t onion powder
1 t finely minced garlic
2 t finely chopped cilantro

With a fork mash yolks and avocado until smooth and well mixed.
Add all other ingredients and mix well
Spoon or pipe mixture into egg white halves
Sprinkle lightly with paprika
Chill before serving

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 20 (view)

Deleting account NOT WORKING
Posted: 11/18/2013 1:21:10 PM
Welcome to PoF, also known as Hotel California.
tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 34 (view)

Thanksgiving side dishes you ABSOLUTELY can not live with out.
Posted: 11/4/2013 1:46:33 PM
Pears are so good right now and cheaper than apples. I'm using them in cakes and so on that I usually make with apples. I wonder if Ms Micki's dish would be good with pears in place of the apples, or a mixture of both?

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 6 (view)

Creme Fraiche
Posted: 11/2/2013 5:41:33 AM
I doubt you'd hurt pancake mix by using buttermilk instead of water, it might actually taste better.
You also ask about using powdered buttermilk in place of fresh. I like it for baking, lots of bread and cake recipes have buttermilk in them. But, I think in other recipes, like creme fraiche, it doesn't sound so good to me.
But, I'm curious,, how are you planning to use the creme fraiche?

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 2 (view)

Creme Fraiche
Posted: 11/1/2013 6:46:15 AM
You can buy butter milk in small containers, such as a pint, use the remaining milk for bread or pancakes.
Or instead of buttermilk, use 1/2 cup sour cream mixed with 1 cup heavy cream. Cover and allow to sit at room temp over night or until very thick. Stir well and store covered in refrigerator up to two weeks. Can be whipped till soft peaks form, it you choose.
For the foodie police, yes this came off the net, have no idea what site.

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 11 (view)

What no deviled eggs thread?
Posted: 10/17/2013 11:23:14 AM
I wonder if it was because they were cold? When we dye Easter eggs I always put them in the frig when we're done so I can make deviled eggs the next day. But, the shells are always hard to remove and the yolks sort of stick to the white, just as you said.

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 61 (view)

Slow cooker apple butter for canning.
Posted: 9/24/2013 8:03:21 PM
I found a thread with the brittle Molly and bumped it up. It is time for thoughts of fall food and goodie baskets for the holidays. Wish I had a crock pot full of the apple butter, I haven't made anything this year. On my last jar of strawberry freezer jam. :[

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 12 (view)

whats your favorite recipie you learned on here?
Posted: 9/24/2013 7:59:25 PM
Here's the cracker brittle thread, not the original one but it's here again. About time to begin thinking about goodies to make for the holidays.
Molly, this bumps for you.

tb
 texasbaby

sweet
Posted: 8/14/2013 9:59:34 AM
This is also a main ingredient in Banoffee Pie. The pie is made with a cookie crust, graham cracker, short bread are both good. Spread the caramel over the crust, top with sliced bananas, cover bananas with whipped cream. Chill for a couple of hours and serve.
In the area where I live I can find this caramel already prepared, it's by Nestle, comes in a can like sweetened condensed milk. It's usually located in the store where other canned milk products can be found or sometimes in the Mexican food section.
If I were going to make this at home, I'd do several cans at the same time, takes a long time as OP mentioned. It stores okay, so why not... I've also seen directions for doing this with a large roaster in the oven, water to cover cans, cook low for several hours. The advantage I saw to the oven method it less loss of the water covering the cans. It seems important to me to mention that if you let the water get too low on the stovetop,, the cans can explode... Hot milky syrup flying through the air, even if no one is burned,, there's a huge sticky mess to clean up...

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 17 (view)

Buffalo Wings
Posted: 7/8/2013 4:34:39 PM
Ntv, It's just a small amount of celery seed. So, if you don't want to use them, just leave them out. I imagine the flavor would be just fine if you did.

tb
 texasbaby

Raw Eggs
Posted: 7/8/2013 4:29:18 PM
When I'm going to use uncooked eggs in a recipe I buy pasteurized eggs. Never thought too much about the outside of the shell being an issue, unless they were home raised and still had specks of chicken poo on them.

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 80 (view)

It may be stupid, but what did we do with out cell phones?
Posted: 6/4/2013 11:51:46 AM
I have one, hardly ever use it. I leave it in my purse until the battery goes dead, then I'll remember to put it on the charger again. I don't text on it or ever check the voice mail,, so I suppose I would be fine, just like I was before I had one.
I only have it because my family worries about what I'd do if I had a problem with my junky old car while I was out of town.
Actually, I don't even know what the number is..

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 5 (view)

The best n easiest meatloaf
Posted: 6/4/2013 11:43:00 AM
Meatball Bombs
I saw something on another foodie forum that looked awesome for the grill or campfire. First you peel some onions then cut them in half and remove the inside layers. Next, take your meatloaf mixture and form into big balls,, size based on the size of the onions you are using. Put the meatloaf ball in the center of the onion and press the other half back on. Then wrap each one with heavy foil, sealing well to keep all the juices in and throw them on the grill or into the coals of your campfire. Cook until they're done,, can't give an exact time, depends on the size of the onion bombs and the heat of your fire. They looked delish,,,

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 20 (view)

help! never made a ham.
Posted: 4/24/2013 8:12:11 AM
One thing I've not read in regard to the curing [maybe I missed it] is injecting the curing liquid into the meat for more even curing. For Christmas last year I cured and smoked fresh pork butt and one of the things I read before starting them was about injecting the brine. The article said that it would cut back on the time needed for brining, as well as giving a more even cure through the meat. So, I tried it and was happy with the result, the hams we ended up with were very good. We smoked them with wood, it was a lot of work to keep the coals going in the firebox and maintaining a constant temp. I'm not sure I would do this again tho.
A few years ago I had some wild hogs, nasty job dressing those out. Anyway, I cured and smoked all the roasts from them, but didn't do the injection because they were much smaller. Those were the best hams I've ever eaten...

tb
 texasbaby

Make your own alfredo!
Posted: 4/11/2013 3:52:58 PM
Please share the name of this "butter" if you don't mind. I am curious about "low fat" butter, because butter is just fat, that's all, just dairy fat.
I have noticed, in regard to the low fat cream compared to regular cream, they remove some grams of fat which are replaced by some type of sugar. So it becomes a trade-off, less fat, more sugar, less fat more sugar.
You can use canned evaporated milk which is lower in fat, to retain the creaminess, but it is still not going to taste the same as full cream.

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 3 (view)

help! never made a ham.
Posted: 3/30/2013 6:22:59 PM
Precooked means the ham has already been cooked. In that case heat @ 325 15 minutes per pound until internal temp is 140. I would add the water mentioned above to keep it from drying out, tent loosely with foil.
If you want a glaze you can mix pineapple and brown sugar with a squirt of Dijon mustard and coat your ham about 30 minutes before removing from oven, without the foil. You could also finish it off with the broiler, that's probably what I'd do.

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 10 (view)

AWSOME CHICKEN DISH
Posted: 3/8/2013 4:20:39 AM
Good point about the instant potato flakes Rax, I buy them just for the use you mentioned. I also use them in things like salmon cakes as a binder, instead of cracker crumbs.

tb
 texasbaby

Homemade Animal Treats
Posted: 3/1/2013 7:44:38 AM
How much simpler can it get? I wonder if you could just use an equal amount of unsweetened applesauce in place of the baby food. Seems like that would work to me.

tb
 texasbaby

Best Pie Crust I've Ever Had!
Posted: 1/19/2013 4:10:29 PM
^^^^^ sunriswme,, Just do a thread search in this forum for bread,, you will be amazed at how many threads you find for bread recipes. Some of them have just a few posts, but others have many ideas.

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 13 (view)

Best Pie Crust I've Ever Had!
Posted: 1/17/2013 4:17:05 AM
@M. She's just using the foil to keep from getting flour all over the counter top while rolling the crust. Easier clean-up, just put the foil into the trash when done.
I use clean brown paper bags instead of the foil, for the same reason. But usually, I reuse the paper several times and then put it into the recycling.
I don't make lots of pie crusts, but do make biscuits, rolls and so on that have to be worked in some manner on a floured surface. I remember my Grandmother's kitchen had a pastry board that pulled out of the counter top to use for this sort of thing, anyone else remember seeing those? I think it used to be common in old houses.

tb
 texasbaby

homemade salad dressings
Posted: 1/13/2013 8:26:01 AM
I found two honey mustard dressings I thought I'd like.
From Outback Steakhouse
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
Blend ingredients and chill before serving

From food dot com
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup oil
combine honey and mustard then whisk in vinegar. continue to whisk while slowly adding oil

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 135 (view)

Food for when your being cheap or being poor
Posted: 1/9/2013 4:31:49 AM
Peanut butter ~ 1 serving = 2 tablespoons and contains less than 3 grams of sugar. Doesn't seem like a lot of sugar to me, the 2 slices of bread needed to make a sandwich probably have a lot more.

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 9 (view)

homemade salad dressings
Posted: 1/5/2013 6:35:49 AM
Jojo, sounds like it would be great with beef!

Here are a couple of dressings I make, we enjoy them.

Bleu Cheese Dressing
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 c. mayo
1 c. sour cream
2 to 4 cloves garlic, I use a garlic press or grater rather than mincing
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
juice and zest of 1 lemon
6 oz. crumbled bleu cheese
cracked black pepper and sea salt to taste
Combine all ingredients well, pour into a container with tight lid and chill several hours. I use all the garlic, you may not like as much,, to your taste..
Love this on field green and spinach salad

Creamy Italian Dressing
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry Italian herb mix
1 clove garlic, minced, crushed or grated,, what ever works for you
Combine all ingredients well and chill.
I like this dressing for pasta salads.

So, I have no idea where I got these recipes, or how much I've adjusted the ingredients, I've been using them for a long time.

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 47 (view)

Posted: 1/3/2013 3:16:13 PM
Oh honee, from 14 apples,, you will probably just get one jar,, it cooks down an amazing amount. I don't find it too cost effective really,, it just tastes better than store bought.

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 45 (view)

Posted: 1/3/2013 12:35:54 PM
Molly, last time I made apple butter, at the end of this past summer, I skipped peeling or coring, just washed the apples, cut them in half and started them cooking. When they were nice and soft I ran them through my colander [ the big cone thingy used in canning ] and then returned the sauce to my pot, added spices, sugar and so on and continued to cook it. It was so much easier than all that peeling and less waste, I believe.
I didn't reread the thread so I don't remember any exact recipes, but one thing I did add this year that was new to me was apple cider vinegar when the apples were cooking. Gave it a little extra pop,, try it, if you have the cider vinegar.
I also froze all I made this year, I have lots of freezer space and it didn't change flavor or texture. I just put the jars on a freezer shelf when cooled, without tightening the cap at all, then when frozen screwed on the lids. But if you have plastic food containers those will work well too.

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 15 (view)

new years day....what ya gonna make?
Posted: 1/1/2013 9:49:03 AM
Chick, for the size roast you have follow Kid's directions and cook 60 to 70 minutes for rare, just a little longer for med rare. As the guys are telling you, it's a crap shoot without the meat thermometer. For what you paid for the roast, I'd have sprung for the price of the thermometer too. Lots of ovens aren't accurate, mine isn't, I have to adjust the temp setting to account for that, so do you know if your oven is accurate? It really matters to know.
Good lock with your dinner, it sounds great.. Just remember, you can't fix overcooked meat.

tb
 texasbaby

new years day....what ya gonna make?
Posted: 12/30/2012 6:24:32 AM
Happy New Year Rax!
Pork and kraut here too, but with noodles instead of potatoes. I also have turnip and mustard greens that will be cooked with the Christmas ham bone,, and of course,, the pot of black eyed peas. Probably a fresh green salad and a pan of corn bread too.

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 32 (view)

Christmas Gift Baskets from the Kitchen
Posted: 12/22/2012 4:05:39 AM
I've made three batches of Landra's cracker brittle, each one a little different. It's a great recipe! The last batch, I didn't have enough butter, so I used half butter and half margarine, worked just fine, I also used dark brown sugar in some of it, light in the last batch. It was slightly different, but just as good.
Great recipe Landra, thank you.

tb
 texasbaby

Cooking With Wood And Healthy Food
Posted: 12/12/2012 10:53:20 PM
I'm thinking Jim is speaking about more than just cooking on a grill outside, I think he uses a wood stove in his house for cooking and heat.

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 24 (view)

Favorite Christmas Recipes
Posted: 12/12/2012 10:26:23 PM
Thanks for including my idea to your gift baskets Molly, they sound so wonderful!
My shopping is done, the tree is up and I'm also ready to begin making goodies! This forum is such a rich source of great recipes, I've found several I want to try and yes, cracker brittle will be one of them. Thank you all for sharing!

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 16 (view)

Christmas Baking Recipes
Posted: 11/20/2012 6:01:01 AM
I'm guessing that icing sugar is the same as powdered sugar???? I agree with Moonie, this is a great, quick and easy idea! Dipped in dark chocolate for homemade Peppermint Patties, my favorite candy bar...

tb
 texasbaby

Baloney
Posted: 10/24/2012 4:34:02 PM
Do a thread search, there are some threads already here with recipes for bannock. Sounds pretty simple to make.
A thread on baloney, cracks me up for some reason.

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 16 (view)

What to do with green tomatoes?
Posted: 10/5/2012 9:17:58 AM
moonie, green tomato salsa would be great! Tomatoes, jalapenos, onion, garlic, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper, simmer until veggies begin to break. Pour into canning jars and hot bath.

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 4 (view)

Stan's Pita Bread Pizza
Posted: 9/20/2012 5:58:38 AM
Half a sourdough English muffin would work too. Kids would probably like those.
OP you said tomato sauce,, would that be a pizza sauce of some kind? In the U S tomato sauce is generally just a thick unseasoned pureed ingredient used for cooking.

tb
 texasbaby

If you could open a reastuarant what would it be like?
Posted: 9/9/2012 7:01:56 AM
Mine would be on a beach somewhere.. Po'boy seafood sandwiches and ice cold beer is all I'd serve. All the seating would be outside under shade, I'd choose the music, shorts and bare feet would absolutely be allowed.

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 8 (view)

What are you making for the big barbacue weekend?
Posted: 9/2/2012 6:54:44 PM
We had baby back ribs, chicken green chile sausages and corn on the cob from the grill. I also cooked fresh green beans with new potatoes and fried yellow squash. Finished off with chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream.. And ,,, about 2 gallons of iced tea,, maybe a few bottles of beer for the person who had grill duty.

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 30 (view)

Jams, jellies...home canning.
Posted: 8/20/2012 11:41:41 AM
Yeah, I was thinking frozen too, see it in the store like that, mixed with watermelon , I think. I was also googling recipes and saw recipes for cantaloupe jam and pickles.

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 24 (view)

Posted: 8/19/2012 3:21:07 PM
From All recipes dot com this is one I found Dovelett. It sure sounds good!

Pear Honey
8 cups peeled and cored pears finely chopped
[ read some comments that said chop in food processor to cut down on cooking time]
1 cup pineapple juice
8 cups sugar
Bring to a boil stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat to medium and cook 2 to 3 hours until the color and consistency of honey.
Pour into sterile jars, seal and hot water bath 10 min.

MsMicki, it is a lot of sugar!

tb
 texasbaby

Posted: 8/16/2012 10:56:26 AM
I used to live by a lady and she gave me several jars of something her Mom made, she called it pear honey. Anyone ever hear of such a thing? It was sooo good on hot biscuits,,

tb
 texasbaby

Fish Kebobs
Posted: 8/14/2012 12:05:22 PM
Well, if you consider what veggies he actually used, they all cook very quickly. I'd try it without expecting failure. I mean, how long does a chunk of pineapple need to cook before its considered done??

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 15 (view)

Tassimo Coffee Maker
Posted: 8/12/2012 6:21:57 PM
Lol @ Rax... Just speaking for myself here, but I drink several cups of coffee in the morning and usually a cup or two at night. But, after about half an hour it doesn't taste fresh to me, then I pour it out and make more. So I am loving one cup at a time, every cup is fresh and it takes less than a minute to brew. Probably not wasting as much coffee either..

tb
 texasbaby

Tassimo Coffee Maker
Posted: 8/9/2012 2:37:07 PM
I just bought a new coffee maker last week. It's also brews a single cup at a time, choice of two sizes however. It is a Mr Coffee, but uses the Keurig pods or discs, what ever you call them. But cost about $30 or $40 less than the similar K machine sitting on the shelf next to it.
Keurig makes a reusable mesh basket that fits inside a thing which replaces the thingy the pods go in. Confusing you yet??? Anyway, the little thing also fits the Mr Coffee coffee maker,, cost about $17, so I got one.
So, I use the coffee brand I like to drink normally,, grind the beans every morning and get a really good hot cup of coffee, takes about 60 seconds.

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 18 (view)

asparagus
Posted: 8/5/2012 10:30:19 AM
@ IS,, I had some nice asparagus and apple wood smoked bacon in my frig so I made your bacon wrapped asparagus last night to go with broiled salmon. The asparagus was great prepared like you suggested, so thanks for the idea!
This morning I chopped a couple of the bundles of asparagus to go into a cheddar cheese omelette, added a couple of slices of sour dough toast and a glass of orange juice,, awesome! Thanks

tb
 texasbaby

a pan fried fish dish
Posted: 7/29/2012 8:04:22 AM
Well, actually Velveeta now has sharp cheddar flavor cheese food product. So,,, lol, guess you can..
I like Velveeta and my kids love it for grilled cheese sandwiches as well as mac n cheese.
I like cheese sauce from actual cheese better, but I cook more for their tastes than mine most of the time, so what ever works to keep the pack happy.
Bacon crumbles,,, oh yes.....

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 7 (view)

asparagus
Posted: 7/28/2012 2:34:09 PM
Oh yes Rax, wild asparagus is awesome. One of my earliest childhood memories is picking wild asparagus with my Mother. I haven't eaten it in years, or seen it growing either for that matter. So, like most people, I buy it at the store now. Sigh, I don't always like progress..

tb
 texasbaby

Shrimp Coctail
Posted: 7/26/2012 5:41:48 AM
Op, this doesn't sound too much like shrimp coc tail that I've ever eaten. Sounds more like cold soup to me, is it?
I doubt that I'd ever make this because I'm allergic to shrimp, but I agree with k.w. on this, use fresh shell on shrimp, your dish will simply taste better.

tb
 texasbaby

HOT DOGS, CONEYS, FOOTLONGS AND SAUSAGES
Posted: 7/13/2012 6:10:31 PM
State Fair Super Dogs [Corn Dogs]

1 cup flour
1/2 cup corn flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar [or honey]
1/4 teaspoon soda, maybe a little more
1 egg
1/2 to 1 cup buttermilk
corn starch
8 to 12 hot dogs
Remove hot dogs from package and dry with paper towels or what ever then insert wooden sticks and coat lightly with corn starch. This helps the batter stick. Round skewers are good, I use flat wooden sticks like an ice cream bar has.
Mix dry ingredients, if you're using sugar add it here.
Beat egg with 1/2 cup buttermilk, if you're using honey instead of sugar, add it here.
Mix dry with wet adding more milk as needed to get a smooth, thick batter.
Coat hot dogs well with batter, I always make a big mess at this point, but then I'm sort of a messy cook anyway.
Then drop into hot oil, about 375 degrees and deep enough to float the dogs , fry one first side lightly and begin turning until light golden brown all around. Remove and drain on paper towels.

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 123 (view)

Merely Vegan and Healthy Recipes for those who are interested
Posted: 7/12/2012 2:57:34 PM
Now that's a nice vinaigrette, I assume you would use this on a veggie salad. But,,, I think it would also be great on a bowl of fresh, hot pasta. If you do dairy, a little bit of parm would finish it off nicely.
By the way, I'm really enjoying reading all the vegan recipes here in one thread. Makes it so easy to go back later and find a recipe you liked,, this one for example.

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 11 (view)

Obscure Leaves
Posted: 7/11/2012 4:15:34 AM
Oh, I plant morning glories by my front porch every year to block the afternoon sun, funny your weed is one of my favorite flowers. Who would have thought to eat them, I sure didn't.

tb
 texasbaby

Pork and Pineapple Rice
Posted: 7/10/2012 9:43:25 PM
Yeah well, this is how it went for dinner tonight. I was cooking with 5 kids and the basset hound in the front of the house with me, my focus wasn't at %100.
So, couldn't find the ground pork in the freezer ~ maybe it went into a pot of chili, who knows really, but I found a package of pork rib-eyes which I sliced into strips. I went with the soy, garlic, ginger and dried red chili flakes on the pork, added some fresh snow peas with the other veggies, just cause I could.
Anywho, got everything cooked and on the table, but kept feeling like I forgot something. Oh well, we ate and it was really good, then I was back in the kitchen and there was the basil and almonds still on the counter. Yeah, wish I'd remembered, but another time, right?
I'll make this again Blahah, thanks for sharing..
Oh Rax I added some fish sauce too, I also love the way it kicks up the flavor.

tb

Show ALL Forums