Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Have all the really older guys given up?
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 1007 (view)

Have all the really older guys given up?
Posted: 10/25/2014 10:26:24 PM
I haven't "given up," but I've become a LOT more selective. I've been divorced since 1987 and haven't remarried, although I've come close a couple times.

One thing I've observed is that women close to my age seem to have a very narrow view of what they find "decent" in a man. Perhaps they're looking for someone very similar to their last SO, minus whatever habits they found annoying. Whatever they're looking for isn't me.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 58 (view)

end of the world...may 21,2011!!!!!
Posted: 5/22/2011 11:20:17 PM
The date of the Crucifixion is 29 AD.

DOB was 5 BC.

The mystical date was 4 years ago.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 27 (view)

The lightyear-long rod problem
Posted: 11/28/2009 8:19:53 AM
I suspect, if a lightyear-long rod of incompressible material were somehow "pushed" 1 cm, the wave of kinetic motion would travel the length as a slight swelling of the circumference, contracting to the original size as the wave passed... unless, of course, the material was absolutely rigid, in which case swelling would cause it to shatter- like the massive, swollen, fragile egos in this thread.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 13 (view)

I need a new/used car
Posted: 7/13/2009 8:32:10 PM
Search eBay or Craigslist or Autotrader for a:
ONE-OWNER car (I prefer 4-door sedans, less likely to have been owned/abused by a kid)
preferably For Sale By Owner (FSBO)
driven LESS than 10,000 miles/year
(divide total miles by the age of the car in years; a 2009 is already a year old)
and with less than 100,000 total miles.
You may be looking at 10-year old vehicles at that price point, but if it's a one-owner car it's less likely to be a lemon.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 4 (view)

New LED flashlight : ) !!!!
Posted: 6/29/2009 9:48:44 PM
I have a LED flashlight built into my house key.
Now, that's cool.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 6 (view)

Pontiac Parts
Posted: 6/16/2009 9:11:45 PM
If I bought another J-body GM car (Sunfire or Cavalier, Skyhawk, Cimarron, or Firenza) I would immediately replace (or have the seller replace) the oil pressure sensor(s), crank position sensor, ignition module and water pump; I would also check the MAP or MAF sensors, throttle position sensor (TPS), and O2 sensor, and I would have the EGR valve and EGR valve solenoid checked.

I've had some J-bodies. Largely designed by Opel.

Many vehicles used this platform including the following American nameplates:

* 1982 Pontiac J2000
* 1982–1988 Cadillac Cimarron
* 1982–1988 Oldsmobile Firenza
* 1982–1989 Buick Skyhawk
* 1982–2005 Chevrolet Cavalier
* 1983 Pontiac 2000
* 1984 Pontiac 2000 Sunbird
* 1985–1994 Pontiac Sunbird
* 1995–2005 Pontiac Sunfire

International J-bodies include:

* 1982–1988 Opel Ascona C (Europe and South Africa)
* 1982–1988 Vauxhall Cavalier Mk II (United Kingdom)
* 1983–1989 Isuzu Aska (Japan) (originally called Florian Aska)
* 1982–1989 Holden Camira (Australia and New Zealand)
* 1982–1996 Chevrolet Monza (Brazil)
* 1995–2000 Toyota Cavalier (Japan)
* 1990-1997 Daewoo Espero (South Korea)

Yes, GM and Toyota share some "platforms."
 Beaugrand®™©

Stupid/Careless Drivers
Posted: 6/16/2009 5:14:53 PM
Being "in the right" won't save your life. That's up to you.
Making another law won't make you safer.
Writing down license numbers is a great exercise for the living, pointless for a crushed corpse.

The Universe is out to kill you, and it will win, eventually. It always does.
Exercising your "rights" vs a 4,000+ lb object piloted (I use the term loosely) by a semiconscious product of our narcissism-feeding, woefully broken public educational system makes the Universe's job so much easier.

I've done the "good Samaritan" thing and written down license numbers, testified against maniac drunk drivers, called for ambulances after witnessing serious violations of common road courtesy. Except for the guy with the punctured lung, I don't really think any of those "good citizen" actions helped the victims all that much.

Staying alive is entirely up to you, and depends mostly on your own self-defensive actions. You need to be more interested in that than anyone else.

Yes, people should pay attention to a person with a white cane. I wouldn't bet my life on it.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 7 (view)

Could someone explain diesel to me?
Posted: 6/15/2009 8:26:37 PM
"Thermal cracking" of petroleum has been around since 1855. It isn't new, it isn't marketing hype, and it isn't a secret.

From the online Encyclopedia Britannica at http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/226565/gasoline#ref50116:

Gasoline was at first produced by distillation, simply separating the volatile, more valuable fractions of crude petroleum. Later processes, designed to raise the yield of gasoline from crude oil, split large molecules into smaller ones by processes known as cracking. Thermal cracking, employing heat and high pressures, was introduced in 1913 but was replaced after 1937 by catalytic cracking, the application of catalysts that facilitate chemical reactions producing more gasoline. Other methods used to improve the quality of gasoline and increase its supply include polymerization, converting gaseous olefins, such as propylene and butylene, into larger molecules in the gasoline range; alkylation, a process combining an olefin and a paraffin such as isobutane; isomerization, the conversion of straight-chain hydrocarbons to branched-chain hydrocarbons; and reforming, using either heat or a catalyst to rearrange the molecular structure.

Gasoline is a complex mixture of hundreds of different hydrocarbons. Most are saturated and contain 4 to 12 carbon atoms per molecule. Gasoline used in automobiles boils mainly between 30° and 200° C (85° and 390° F), the blend being adjusted to altitude and season. Aviation gasoline contains smaller proportions of both the less-volatile and more-volatile components than automobile gasoline.

The antiknock characteristics of a gasoline—its ability to resist knocking, which indicates that the combustion of fuel vapour in the cylinder is taking place too rapidly for efficiency—is expressed in octane number. The addition of tetra-ethyl lead to retard the combustion was initiated in the 1930s but was discontinued in the 1980s because of the toxicity of the lead compounds discharged in the combustion products. Other additives to gasoline often include detergents to reduce the buildup of engine deposits, anti-icing agents to prevent stalling caused by carburetor icing, and antioxidants (oxidation inhibitors) used to reduce “gum” formation.

In the late 20th century the rising price of petroleum (and hence of gasoline) in many countries led to the increasing use of gasohol, which is a mixture of 90 percent unleaded gasoline and 10 percent ethanol (ethyl alcohol). Gasohol burns well in gasoline engines and is a desirable alternative fuel for certain applications because of the renewability of ethanol, which can be produced from grains, potatoes, and certain other plant matter. See also petroleum.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 159 (view)

How do you define overweight?
Posted: 6/15/2009 8:04:14 PM
"Overweight" is someone who appears to be much fatter than me.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 24 (view)

question about david letterman
Posted: 6/15/2009 8:00:29 PM
Celebrities and politicians are fair game for pot shots, fair or unfair. Politicians and celebrities that use their families to further their careers are fully aware of this. If Sarah wants to subject her family to yet more public scrutiny to further her career ambitions, she's going to need to grow much thicker skin.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 3 (view)

Could someone explain diesel to me?
Posted: 6/15/2009 12:00:06 AM
There is only so much product in a barrel of crude oil. When demand for gasoline is high, more crude is refined to make gasoline, less to make diesel; this reduces the supply of diesel, and the price increases. It's easier to "crack" the heavier components of crude, such as diesel, to make more gasoline, than it is to make more diesel from yet heavier components, such as asphalt. It's a balancing act.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 10 (view)

Couple odd questions...
Posted: 6/13/2009 11:51:25 PM
The best you could do would be to find out how much dry weight of corn kernels it takes to make a box of flakes, find the average weight of kernels per ear, average weight of an individual kernel, and you'd have a rough guesstimate.

Or call up the PR guy at Post and ask.

Back to the original question: I'm sure they spend tons of money adding flavoring and aroma to cat food to make it palatable to cats; the hard part is making it appealing to people who buy cat food. If it was simply to appeal to cats, the label would just say "cat food," no pretty pictures of lovable cats or cool graphics needed. They're selling the stuff to us, not to cats.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 8 (view)

Couple odd questions...
Posted: 6/13/2009 3:22:31 PM
The cob with kernels attached would be called an "ear."
So the question is, how many ears of corn does it take to make a box of corn flakes?

Weigh the corn flakes and calculate the average amount of kernels on an ear, then compare to the weight of dry kernels of corn?
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 2 (view)

Ahhhh ... I left the RoundUp unopened and it spilled
Posted: 6/9/2009 12:58:54 PM
How did it spill if it was "unopened?" I would think it would more likely spill if it was opened, or unclosed?

Just curious. Little things like this could cause the Universe to unravel, like my neighbor who likes to "unthaw" his steaks before cooking...
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 5 (view)

What if you were a king with absolute power?
Posted: 6/8/2009 8:33:06 AM
I'd begin by
1.) establishing a representative legislative body to write the laws, using the "upper" and "lower" house model, with term limits of twenty years of cumulative service, except
2.) the judiciary, which would be lifetime appointments. The sovereign (that's me) would assume the role of Supreme Court Chief Justice (if you haven't noticed, that's where the real power is).
3.) I'd want a figurehead with a pretty face to head up the executive branch, enforce laws, collect taxes, and take the blame when the rest of us screw up.

Then I'd sit back and review a handful of cases a year, picking and choosing the ones I felt had actual merit and bouncing the rest back to the lower courts. Political corruption cases would have top priority, and would carry severe sentences.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 14 (view)

I speak English....don't you??
Posted: 6/7/2009 7:11:15 PM

Why is it that there's an automatic thought, that a skin color prompts people to think they should converse with you using ebonics and slang termonology?

I think the argument should be with those cultural "experts" that have shoved "ebonics" and "urban slang" and "multilingualism" down our throats as acceptable forms of communication. We've been moved away from the American tradition of the cultural "melting pot" into a deliberate overt policy of segregation based on the idea of "multiculturalism."

Yes, the grade school teachers are using and teachingebonics and slang.

"Jive Lady" is meaningless unless the context is explained: "Jive Lady" was, in fact, played by Harriet Nelson, widow of former band leader and TV star Ozzie Nelson, mother of Ricky Nelson, the late pop singer, and his brother David Nelson.
The "Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet" was a staple of 1950s/60s Television and embodied the values of Suburban America of the time- that's the irony of the "Jive Lady" role.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 10 (view)

Car manufactures..... my 2 cents
Posted: 6/6/2009 12:46:22 AM
Once upon a time, GM made a dandy little "family" of economy vehicles in a joint venture with Suzuki, called the Geo Metro, Pontiac Firefly, or Suzuki Swift.
Great little mileage champ, better than average quality, modestly priced. Assembled in Canada.

However, gas was cheap, and Americans and Canadians alike really wanted the Silverados and Escalades and Suburbans, so the Metro/Firefly/Swift was discontinued around 2001.
If GM could have switched production from trucks to small econoboxes in the middle of 2008 they would have, but it takes time to change production lines, and the market changed too quickly for anybody to keep up- and a lot of people simply stopped buying cars.

I've been a severe critic of GM's bone-headed management for the past 40 years and I don't usually defend them, but the current economic crisis, which began in the housing finance sector, has taken a toll on the entire automobile industry.

Yes, GM made mistakes, many of them, really stupid ones (Cadillac Cimarron? Pontiac Aztek? Hummer- any of them? Dropping out of the minivan market?), but a HUGE part of the blame goes to the American consumer, so short-sighted we can't see the end of cheap gas on the horizon, despite last year's experience with $4 gas.

Greed and short-sighted stupidity aren't found exclusively in corporate boardrooms: after all, they sold us what we demanded.

I'm involved with designing a lightweight motorcycle-based commuter vehicle (OSCS) that we hope would get 100-150 mpg, seat two in tandem, with luggage, cruise at 70+ mph, hopefully cost under $8K in kit form (vaguely inspired by a German design from the '40s- '50s). It probably won't have cupholders or a premium sound system.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CabinScooters/photos/recent/116156990/view

GM won't build anything like it, Honda might. But even if it would fill 99% of our needs for most of us, would most of us want to buy one, or would we still want the Suburban?

Can we settle for "just enough," or do we have to have "everything we might possibly want" in a vehicle?
 Beaugrand®™©

Criminal Defense Attorneys
Posted: 6/5/2009 11:56:23 PM
There is a big difference in defense lawyers- the poor defendant gets the "public defender," usually overworked and underpaid, the career criminal has the resources to hire good legal talent, so it's nearly always a question of which side can hire the better lawyers, far less about guilt or innocence.

Do you really think OJ could have gotten away with the murder of his ex if he'd simply had a public defender?
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 24 (view)

Kill a pedophile bumper sticker
Posted: 6/3/2009 11:08:30 PM
Find a sex offender in your neighborhood:

http://www.familywatchdog.us/Search.asp
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 33 (view)

Are you afraid of flying in planes?
Posted: 6/3/2009 8:01:15 PM
It's far more frightening to fly outside airplanes, and even more frightening to fly without them. (Shudders).
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 65 (view)

Do animals have emotions?
Posted: 6/2/2009 8:50:29 PM
Poke a hornet's nest with a stick. Smack it really good.
Just before you pass out from the ensuing 15,754 stings, you'll realize "WOW, they're REALLY ANGRY."
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 21 (view)

We should ALL admire George Bush
Posted: 6/1/2009 8:16:46 PM

Who or what could have been an acceptable choice in between?

535 members of Congress plus 50 state governors (well, ok, except for Ah-nuld) plus a dozen of so mayors or former mayors of large cities; probably at least 1/3 of those 584+ career politicians have the organizational and leadership skills to run the country, or at least the skills to hire the staff to run the country. It's not like we have a shortage of ambitious politicians here.

It's the events and the circumstances that make the President; without 9/11, Dubya would have been just another mediocre Republican tool of the rich.

Oh, wait-
 Beaugrand®™©

Let's talk about economy cars.
Posted: 6/1/2009 8:04:50 PM
Hundai/Kia has a 5 year basic warranty, IIRC, and a 10-year powertrain warranty. If other vehicle companies want to sell cars they'll follow suit. Standard basic warranty is 2 or 3 years, GM's powertrain warranty is 5 years.

If I wanted an "American" car I'd get a Ford. They'll be around in 10 years, GM and Chrysler may not.
 Beaugrand®™©

Does anyone know anything about Employment Law or Trade Mark Laws?
Posted: 6/1/2009 7:59:12 PM
Carry a little pocket memo book around with you, document all incidences of sexual harassment and/or gender discrimination and anything else you think is unethical or illegal. Make note of date, time, location and witnesses.
When you've had enough, sue their pants off.
 Beaugrand®™©

Was The Matrix Popular because people suspect it might be True?
Posted: 6/1/2009 7:19:33 PM
It's a movie. Lots of WOW effects, slick directing, stylish actors.

They spent money where it shows. That's good marketing, not necessarily good art, and creatively they should have stopped with the first one.

I'd rather see the bucks spent on a 7-part Lensman Series (the ultimate tale of Good v Evil on a Trans-Universal scale), or a really fun, off-the-wall adventure yarn like Bill, the Galactic Hero.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 54 (view)

toys from the 60s 70s 80s ect.
Posted: 5/31/2009 7:22:27 AM
Kenner Girder & Panel Building Set.

I had an HO train set, dozens of locomotives, including a 4-8-8-2, well over a hundred different kinds of cars, my brother and I spent hundreds of hours on the layout board making mountains and buildings. It's just gotten too expensive, locos now costing hundreds of dollars...

I was seriously into scale model cars and aircraft, and back then they had models of just about everything, including spacecraft like the Mercury and Gemini capsules, and the Apollo capsule with the detachable Command, Service, and Lunar Modules- during Apollo 13's crisis I knew exactly what was happening and why, even before Jules Bergman (ABC News science guy) explained it on TV. I also had scale models of the Redstone, Thor, Atlas, Titan II and Saturn rockets, just about every cool car Detroit made in the '60s and some from the mid-to-late '50s, even a couple from the early '70s. Not to mention dozens of aircraft models, mostly WW2 fighters but also a few jets and transports.

Coolest model of them all was the Chrysler Turbine Car.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 19 (view)

Let's talk about economy cars.
Posted: 5/31/2009 2:20:25 AM

The profits go back to the USA, and not Japan.
GM hasn't made much profit on North American operations in quite awhile, relying on its overseas operations to keep going, and with the car industry bailout, it's actually more a question of how much the taxpayers have subsidized the new "American" car you bought, not merely how much "domestic content" it has or how much "profit" was made on it (hint: really big negative numbers). You do understand GM loses money on every vehicle it makes- right? You are aware that GM bankruptcy will cost the taxpayers another $50 Billion- right? That the government will own 70% of GM before it's all over? And that the brass at GM is still living in the clouds, making forecasts based on "when things get back to normal?"

Let's not dwell much on Chrysler, which is about to lose the merger with Fiat because GM decided not to sell Opel to Fiat (because Fiat was likely to lay off Opel workers, something the German government doesn't want), so GM gets the credit for blasting Chrysler's last chance at survival.

Considering the measly profits from vehicle manufacturing, more money is pumped into the economy by that "domestic content." If Big Japan Motors spends $3500 per vehicle on "domestic content," how significant is the $500 profit, in the big picture?

The bright spot is Ford, which isn't losing as much money, but wow, they closed the local truck plant and opened the new one in Mexico.

And let's not forget that the domestic car companies have gotten themselves into the mess they're in by making some stupid, bone-headed decisions- like GM's focus on the tiny Hummer market while abandoning its share of the 700,000 unit/year minivan market.
 Beaugrand®™©

Most adults never develop intellectually past teenagers.
Posted: 5/30/2009 9:38:56 PM
I don't agree. There is a huge difference in the maturity level of a 21 year old female and a 28 year old female.

Males, now, apparently we all stop maturing emotionally at about age 14, but, you see, belching, beer farts, playing most sports and rebuilding carburetors doesn't require any more emotional maturity than killing tigers, herding mastodons, playing with sharp sticks or peeing on fire, so we're good with 14.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 51 (view)

Why crush 1100 perfectly good electric cars???
Posted: 5/30/2009 9:30:51 PM

I have a simular question about the iBot.
So, what was the question?
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 63 (view)

Is the Seatbelt Law unconstitutional?
Posted: 5/30/2009 9:21:39 PM

THERE HAS TO BE AN INJURED PARTY.
Yes, exactly so, and the injured parties are THE INSURANCE INDUSTRY which is "injured" by paying out premiums for people hurt or killed because they weren't wearing seat belts.
That's exactly right, there has to be, and there is an "injured party." Excellent point.
 Beaugrand®™©

I bet THIS question's never been asked on here!:P
Posted: 5/30/2009 9:13:15 PM
My record is 6. Three were at work, per safety rules, having to do with working around toxic materials. One was before work, one right after I got home, another before bedtime just because I still didn't feel right.

I was happy when that placed closed down.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 34 (view)

Mars or the moon?
Posted: 5/30/2009 8:44:45 PM

If we can get some sort of fusion generator going, there's Helium-3 to fuel them...
I think the entire Lunar industrial enterprise could be run on solar power. Photovoltaics, of course, but smelting could be done in vacuum with parabolic reflectors generating temps as high as 10K F, maybe higher. Apply a voltage to the vaporized ore to mold parts using Vacuum Vapor Deposition.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 49 (view)

Why crush 1100 perfectly good electric cars???
Posted: 5/30/2009 8:38:53 PM
The conspiracy theorists give GM brass entirely too much credit. As recent events have shown, they're quite capable of making really stupid decisions; crushing the EV-1 was a PR blunder, the reasons for crushing them were/are valid, in a really obtuse, short-sighted way.
Do you really believe a former football jock like Rick Wagoner has the mental capacity for such Machiavellian manipulations? They weren't scheming, they were just plain stupid.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 32 (view)

Mars or the moon?
Posted: 5/30/2009 7:30:54 PM
The long range approach is to establish manufacturing facilities on Luna ("the Moon") that would make use of native materials to make the probes that would explore the rest of the Solar System. There are NO commercial opportunities on Mars, Luna is overflowing with them, why is this even a debate?
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 40 (view)

Posted: 5/29/2009 6:37:56 PM
Seat belt laws have been around for 30 years or longer, pushed by the insurance companies to reduce claims.

Comparing seat belt laws to the tyranny that is the Patriot Act is disingenuous at best.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 18 (view)

White Trash Party Ideas
Posted: 5/29/2009 3:35:50 PM
Moon Pies
Twinkies
hand crank ice cream
burnt hot dogs
"Road Kill Pizza" (pizza topped with shredded pork - that has been marinated in beer for several days, "long macaroni" (aka bucatini, simulates "guts") and chicken livers - sauteed, of course, and lots of mozzarella, with colorful pits of bell peppers, etc).
 Beaugrand®™©

metal detectors
Posted: 5/28/2009 10:36:41 PM
You get what you pay for. You can pay too much, but if you don't pay enough you won't get the features you want.

Try Craigslist or eBay.
 Beaugrand®™©

Does Being Latina and a Woman Really Make a Better Judge?
Posted: 5/28/2009 2:29:49 PM
...and the disintegration of the Republican Party continues under the direction of the Party's default leader, Rush Limbaugh.
 Beaugrand®™©

Chinese Jungle Decor - inexpensive ideas needed
Posted: 5/27/2009 8:36:51 PM
Pictures of goldfish, then.

It takes a special talent to kill goldfish- they're a species of carp, they're so hardy they'll outlast the roaches.
 Beaugrand®™©

Have you been scammed in this recession ??
Posted: 5/27/2009 8:31:03 PM
"Preyed" not "prayed."
Churchgoers pray. Predators prey.

Earthling you need to write to the moron in charge of the SC state department of insurance-
That would be Scott Richardson-
http://www.doi.sc.gov/
 Beaugrand®™©

Chinese Jungle Decor - inexpensive ideas needed
Posted: 5/27/2009 6:47:49 PM
Bamboo-looking window shades. Real bamboo is available, bamboo-looking plastic is a lot cheaper.

Google "Bamboo Paneling" or "Bamboo Flooring." Check out bamboo furniture locally.

Get a plaster Buddha, paint it gold. Build a little shrine around it.

Use lots of jade, or jade-looking materials.

Set up a goldfish tank. A really BIG one. The Chinese "domesticated" goldfish a very long time ago:

In ancient China, various species of carp (collectively known as Asian carps) had been domesticated and reared as food fish for thousands of years. Some of these normally gray or silver species have a tendency to produce red, orange or yellow color mutations; this was first recorded in the Jin Dynasty (265–420).

During the Tang Dynasty (618–907), it was popular to raise carp in ornamental ponds and watergardens. Due to a natural genetic mutation, some of these carp displayed gold (actually yellowish orange) rather than silver coloration. People began to breed the gold variety instead of the silver variety, and began to display them in small containers. The fish were not kept in the containers permanently, but would be kept in a larger body of water, such as an outdoor pond, and only for special occasions at which guests were expected would they be moved to the much smaller container.[2]

In 1162, the Empress of the Song Dynasty ordered the construction of a pond to collect the red and gold variety of those carp. By this time, people outside the imperial family were forbidden to keep goldfish of the gold (yellow) variety, yellow being the imperial color. This is probably the reason why there are more orange goldfish than yellow goldfish, even though the latter are genetically easier to breed.[3]

The occurrence of other colors (apart from red and gold) was first recorded in 1276. The first occurrence of fancy tailed goldfish was recorded in the Ming dynasty. In 1502, goldfish were introduced to Japan, where the Ryukin and Tosakin varieties were developed. In 1611, goldfish were introduced to Portugal and from there to other parts of Europe.[2]
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 20 (view)

Mean people
Posted: 5/27/2009 6:14:42 PM
If you're a "5" he must be a "2."

He so does not deserve you, nor does he deserve the time you spent posting this- not worth the time.

One less chocolate-hating, Momma's boy, spineless jerk to deal with.

It has to get better from there.
 Beaugrand®™©

why do they ask...
Posted: 5/27/2009 3:00:25 PM
My transportation costs:
Car Payments: $ 0/year (all my vehicles are paid for)
Insurance (total on all vehicles) $ 600/year
Oil changes/routine maintenance $ 160/year
Gasoline $1,250/year (10 gal/week, this may vary +or- 5 gal/week)
Repairs $ 500/year (budgeted, not actual)
Totals $2,510/year

and I'm a tightwad.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 19 (view)

why do they ask...
Posted: 5/27/2009 2:42:42 PM
It's almost always cheaper to fix the car you have than to buy a new one.
If the engine needs to be replaced it might cost $4K, but new cars start at about $15K. Keep in mind replacement cost v repair cost, if cost of a single repair exceeds 40% of replacement cost, it might be time to buy a different one.

Also, when the annual cost of repairs approaches the annual cost of car payments, it might be time to trade in, but I'd never buy another new car.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 47 (view)

GMO issue.
Posted: 5/27/2009 8:01:12 AM
Let's not forget that a global population of nearly 7 Billion people is anything but "natural." If "nature" ran its course, global population would have stabilized around a fourth of that amount, or less, due to famine and disease- both "natural" kinds of events.

Vaccines aren't "natural."
Antibiotics aren't "natural."
Surgery isn't "natural."
Aspirin isn't "natural."

Death from disease and starvation and accident are all "natural."

"Natural" isn't necessarily "good."
"Artificial" isn't necessarily "bad."

And yet we still have discussions like this...
 Beaugrand®™©

Posted: 5/27/2009 7:43:32 AM

Does a seatbelt statute infringe on the right of autonomy and freedom of choice? -- You bet it does! It is therefore not a lawful statute.
Where it all breaks down is this: You have the right to own a car. You can operate that car on your own property as dangerously and as insanely as you wish, so long as it doesn't affect me.

If you decide to take your privately-owned car out on the publicly-owned road- that you have to share with obstinate, cranky old men like me- you're expected to follow the rules. If you decide to ignore that red octagonal sign that says "STOP," because it "infringes your rights," and you collide with MY car-

I'm going to sue your pants off, take away your house and cars and any other real or personal property, and I'm also going to press charges of attempted murder against you.

Exercise your "rights" as you please, but if you infringe on mine, I'll ruin you. That's a promise.

See how those "rights" work?
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 15 (view)

What frugal things do you do to save money?
Posted: 5/26/2009 9:48:58 PM
I replaced all my incandescent bulbs with spiral "bulbs" 5 years ago, and noticed a drop in electric use. I also haven't replaced a "bulb" in 5 years.
Just as bright, use less electricity, last 10 times longer.

You actually can heat a place with incandescent bulbs, if it's tight and well insulated. A 100 watt bulb is, after all, a 100 watt heater, and that's over 300 btu.

Put one under the oil pan of the car overnight in the winter to help it start in the morning, it makes a difference.
 Beaugrand®™©

Netherlands to close prisons for lack of criminals
Posted: 5/26/2009 8:47:58 PM
Only 40%?

Messages this short may not be posted
 Beaugrand®™©

Gutsy move by Canada's GG
Posted: 5/26/2009 8:37:17 PM
Most of the Canadians I know have advanced to the Cro-Magnon phase. The confusion is understandable, they use Neanderthals as Hockey Defensemen.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 11 (view)

White Trash Party Ideas
Posted: 5/26/2009 6:05:44 PM
Make sure the major pickup brands are represented- Ford, Chevy, Dodge-

They can take turns beating up the guy who has the b@lls to show up in a Tundra...

Show ALL Forums