Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: When September Was Ours
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 2 (view)

When September Was Ours
Posted: 3/31/2013 3:52:09 PM
This story showed a lot of talent in they way you drew it out.
I particularly liked the way you ended the story.
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak

Please Review Profile. Need Help. Nothing is working.
Posted: 3/27/2013 7:31:17 PM
Here is a trick you might try.
Pretend you are a car which speaks English. If you were such a car, what would you say about yourself to get somebody (a fussbudget) to take you for a test drive. Would you say, "I can run very fast?" or would you say, "I am a car?" Would you say "I get great gas milage?" Would you say, "Your friends would admire you for driving me?"

My profile has worked for me for many years. I've had quite a few responses to the mail which I have initiated and an acceptable number of inputs from ladies who have initiated the exchange of mail.

Good Phishing.
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 33 (view)

My journey from being a Nice Guy
Posted: 3/27/2013 10:02:55 AM
Hi Helen,
After reading three pages of posts, my arrogance got the best of me.
My goal in life is not to be a nice guy, however that is measured. My goal in life is to be the person my dog thinks I am.
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 45 (view)

Magic Jack Plus
Posted: 3/24/2013 6:13:01 PM
VOIP = Voice over Internet Protocol
This is a method by which you can use a system such as MJ or Skype to send voice messages using your computer and the internet. VOIP is an alternative to the older system which uses dedicated phone lines to your home. It is also an alternative to cell phones.
I have been happy with MJ until just recently when the volume on my handset was below the necessary volume for my ancient ears.
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 6 (view)

Profile tips
Posted: 3/20/2013 5:49:06 PM
The problem is not the profile. If you look at other profiles, you will see that you are a bit out of the league of the guys here. My problem is similar to yours - I have a BS, and you know what that is, combined with More of the Same and Piled Higher and deeper.
Keep going here, my friend. This is a good site to be on, but don't expect much quickly.
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 17 (view)

Hi there, I would appreciate feedback
Posted: 3/20/2013 5:40:06 PM
Let me play counselor, counselor. What do you think is wrong with your
profile?
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak

Throw me a straight one
Posted: 3/20/2013 5:34:59 PM
Let me suggest that your profile does not tell the ladies what characteristics would turn you on. Hence the ladies don't have a clue if they are the ones you are looking for.
Personally, my guess is that the numbers on your head would be a turn-off, but I may be wrong.
Otherwise, the profile is reasonably acceptable.
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 12 (view)

What is wrong with my profile?
Posted: 3/20/2013 5:26:02 PM
Excellent response, Patrick
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 5 (view)

please review my profile
Posted: 3/20/2013 5:20:21 PM
The text is fine.
When some of us seniors were in our 20s, women had to wait for men to make the first move. My suggestion is to exchange mail with someone whom you feel you would like to meet. POF has a flirt system which may or may not work, but initiating a contact would not hurt. You can decide from the response if you want to continue associating with the respondent.
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 14 (view)

Profiles pics with your buddies!
Posted: 2/8/2013 5:38:09 PM
Two possibilities come to mind: First, there is the assumption that the prospective male friend likes women who like children. Second, there is the assumption that the prospective male friend does not like children and the poster is trying to filter out these men.
Both of these observations have the potential of error. There is a saying: we learn from our mistakes. Next week I will be a genious.
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 34 (view)

Magic Jack Plus
Posted: 1/22/2013 4:25:29 PM
I have had it for 5 years and no problems.
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak

Profile review requested
Posted: 1/4/2013 9:14:46 PM
This is an excellent profile. No misspelled words, paragraphs etc.

This will get you an educated, charming lady to respond.

Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 3 (view)

Buried pleasure
Posted: 9/19/2012 9:00:05 PM
The gradual buildup to the climax was quite impressive. The other element that impressed me was the way you painted your picture with your words.
It will be interesting to see how you follow this up.
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 53 (view)

Politics and dating
Posted: 5/29/2012 6:04:57 PM
Be careful with the labels, "conservative" and "liberal." It is possible that one is socially liberal and economically conservative.
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 47 (view)

Politics and dating
Posted: 4/27/2012 10:56:12 AM
I couldn't resist, so I stood up, looked her straight in the eye, and said "OK, You are a cab". The poor waitress lost it, laughing, and my date was over, as she stomped out the door. After I had fnished brunch, when I got the check, there was only one brunch billed. I am glad we didn't even get to the politics part of the conversation..........

You are my kind of person, Paul.
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 46 (view)

Politics and dating
Posted: 4/27/2012 10:51:50 AM
Hi Match,
The problem with labels is that they generealize beyond the data. I am socially liberal with regard to gender and race but horribly conservative with regard to economic issues. I am also indifferent to other issues such as abortion.
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 44 (view)

Politics and dating
Posted: 4/27/2012 10:48:31 AM
I posted once on one of the forums and someone checked out my profile only to discover that I am an economist.
That person blamed me for all the economic ills of the country. LOL
Leib
 leib ben yitshak
Msg: 35 (view)

50 Percent Divorce Rate-Fact or Fiction
Posted: 4/25/2012 3:46:17 PM
Hi LA,
Your neice is not selecting friends at random from her high school classes. In all likelihood, the selection of associates is biased by her and their interests.
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 32 (view)

Posted: 4/23/2012 6:53:53 PM
Anyone who uses the fifty percent figure is only citing one way of calculating the divorce rate. As an economist, I assure you that I can show you at least three ways of calculating the divorce rate.

When you compare the number of couples in the US (approximately 1.7 million) with the number of divorces (approximately 5.5 million) you get a divorce rate around 2 percent.
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak

Is it possible to be too nice?
Posted: 4/23/2012 6:46:19 PM
It appears to me that your are desperate.
My experience with desperate ladies has been all bad.
Sadly, my field is economics, not psychology so my advice will be withheld.
Good Phishing.
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 24 (view)

Posted: 4/11/2012 5:24:57 PM
I may be mistaken about this, but I understand that Muslims have a much lower divorce rate than Christians or Jews. It could be that they are happier, or that their solution to problems is ...
You get my drift.
Last year there were over 5,000 honor killings.
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 20 (view)

Posted: 4/10/2012 4:12:56 PM
I have this information. Please write to me at euphsdad@aol.com
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak

Posted: 4/6/2012 8:32:14 AM
If we want to project the possibility of a divorce we should compare the number of married couples in the United States with the number of divorces. In 2000 there were about 55 million married people and only 1.157 divorces - about 2%, not 50%. (Statistical abstract of the United States)
I think we've been asking the wrong question. The question we should asks, in my humble opinion, is why do so many people stay married?
Does anyone want to respond to this?
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 13 (view)

Posted: 4/2/2012 4:55:02 PM
While it is true that the number of divorces is half the number of marriages cmparing the number of marriages with the number of divorces has no meaning. It is used by the naive and who have something to gain to convince us that we are immoral and that things need to be changed and they are the ones that can change them.. If we want to project the possibility of a divorce we should compare the number of married couples in the United States with the number of divorces. In 2000 there were about 55 million married people and only 1.157 divorces - about 2%, not 50%. (Statistical abstract of the United States)
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 181 (view)

marriage on the way out?? if not why are there so many divorces?
Posted: 4/2/2012 4:51:17 PM
While it is true that the number of divorces is half the number of marriages cmparing the number of marriages with the number of divorces has no meaning. It is used by the naive and who have something to gain to convince us that we are immoral and that things need to be changed and they are the ones that can change them.. If we want to project the possibility of a divorce we should compare the number of married couples in the United States with the number of divorces. In 2000 there were about 55 million married people and only 1.157 divorces - about 2%, not 50%. (Statistical abstract of the United States)
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 172 (view)

Posted: 3/29/2012 3:11:28 PM
Please forgive what I'm about to say. In asking if marriage is on the way out you are asking a vague question. Dissolution of marriage is on the decline for those under 45 and on the increase for those over 45. Futher, it is on the decline for some groups of people regardless of age and in the increase for others.
You need to un-vague the question if you wish to get a reliable response from your audience.
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak

Posted: 3/29/2012 2:57:25 PM
I agree with 4ms4me.
At the present time I am conducting research dealing with divorce among those over 45 years of age and this research includes many statistical analyses which support 4ms
Another shortcoming of using a global divorce rate is that it hides many factors. One of the factors it hides is age. The divorce rate for those under 45 has been going down over the past few years. The divorce rate for those oaver 45 has been going up over the past few years.
When reading the causes of divorce you again get global information which, while valid, is incomplete.
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 165 (view)

Posted: 3/19/2012 9:46:26 AM
This question CAN NOT BE ANSWERED AS STATED. In fact, according to the 2010 Census Bureau reports and the AARP journal the divorce rate among people younger than 45 is on the decline whereas the divorce rate among those over 45 is increasing.
The question must be asked why is there a difference between us old fogies and you youngsters.
 Leib ben Yitshak

She's gone
Posted: 12/4/2011 7:41:07 PM
This is a beautiful story. Please write more.
Leib
 leib ben yitshak

What are the Consequences of a 50/50 ratio of Males to Females ?
Posted: 3/8/2010 8:48:37 PM
The problem with this statistic is that it generalizes. The consequence of the analsys revolves around the answer to the question: How many males to females are there in each of several age groups?
Leib
 leib ben yitshak
Msg: 21 (view)

Logic.
Posted: 1/27/2010 9:03:17 PM
Just remember that logic and emotion are at right angles in "n" dimensional space.
Leib
 leib ben yitshak

Reads like a children's story but I hope you enjoy.
Posted: 1/11/2010 8:29:15 PM
I enjoyed this story very much. I could almost see the poor moth looking for someone to love and to love him.
Leib
 leib ben yitshak

Persephone
Posted: 1/11/2010 8:18:22 PM
The vivid descriptions captivated me.
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak

If you could.....
Posted: 12/16/2009 7:47:00 PM
I would not destroy all diseases. First, if no one died from disease there would not be enough food to feed everyone. In the absence of food there would be wars for the food and such to make life livable.
Even if food was available we would run out of space to house all the people.
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 19 (view)

Lies - A natural survival instinct?
Posted: 12/9/2009 8:35:23 PM
I disagree about animals not having the ability to lie.

I have heard that animals can "play possum." Playing possum is lying.

Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak

Speed ,Time ,Distance .Economy of time
Posted: 12/9/2009 8:19:14 PM
The loss of mpg is proportional to the cube of the speed in air past about 40 mph. Modern car shape results in lift so that the internal friction of the tires is less as you approach 40 mph. Once past 40 mph then the air resistance becomes a factor.

Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 5 (view)

Speed ,Time ,Distance .Economy of time
Posted: 12/9/2009 8:18:47 PM
The loss of mpg is proportional to the cube of the speed in air past about 40 mph. Modern car shape results in lift so that the internal friction of the tires is less as you approach 40 mph. Once past 40 mph then the air resistance becomes a factor.

Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 17 (view)

Imagine that you are 6,000,000,000 lightyears tall.
Posted: 12/9/2009 8:04:26 PM
Don't these depend on which finger you are using?
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 27 (view)

The meaning of the meaningless - A perhaps meaningless theorem
Posted: 12/9/2009 7:57:52 PM
Well put.
Since I'm posting this, it means that I have something to say.
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 7 (view)

THINGS I FIND FUNNY
Posted: 12/2/2009 8:31:58 PM
Obama was having difficulty pronouncing Polish names, so he sent air force 1 to Poland with a load of vowels.

He went for an eye test and the lady at the DMV asked him if he could read the last line. "Read it?" Obama said incredulously. "I went to college with him."
Leib
 leib ben yitshak

profile review please
Posted: 8/16/2009 9:14:40 AM
Saying the things you have said such as
God I really hate this bit, sounds so cliched
gives me a negative impression of you.
This part is good :
I am easygoing, have a sense of humour (if wacky sometimes)

These parts are bad:
and my friends say ... but maybe too trusting, we all have our faults.
It is important that people know what you think of yourself. When you say "my friends say" you are saying that you don't know much about yourself.

This part is bad:
OK, not the best looking guy in the world, but not the worst either, my brother Brad got the looks in the family, oh well.
It shows insecurity. Besides, looks are in the mind of the beholder.

I could go on, but I'm absolutely certain that you get the idea.

Good Fishing
Leib
 leib ben yitshak

lololol reviewaments
Posted: 8/16/2009 9:03:55 AM
Your profile is probably a turn-off to Asian ladies your age. For the most part, based on my experience as a college professor, Asian ladies your age are serious people and are looking for serious relationships with the idea of marriage and family (in that order).
Therefore, let me suggest that you re-write it and make it a [bold]serious[/bold] document.

Also, put in a few pictures of yourself doing something that a serious person would do.

Good Fishing
Leib
 leib ben yitshak

Misunderstood ?
Posted: 8/16/2009 8:53:51 AM
Your profile is a bit confusing. It suggests, to me, that you don't know what your are looking for. This is not necessarily bad.
In Alice in Wonderland the Cheshire Cat has this discussion with Alice. I believe it applies to you as well.

"Cheshire Puss,' she began, rather timidly, as she did not at all know whether it would like the name: however, it only grinned a little wider. "Come, it's pleased so far,' thought Alice, and she went on. "Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,' said the Cat.
"I don't much care where--' said Alice.
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go,' said the Cat.
"--so long as I get somewhere,' Alice added as an explanation.
"Oh, you're sure to do that,' said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."

Good Fishing
Leib
 leib ben yitshak

Why am I not getting any responces?
Posted: 8/16/2009 8:49:12 AM
Hi Corey,
Let me start by saying you are suffering from numbers at your age. At your age there are about as many guys as there are gals.
My suggestion would be to determine what the ladies your age have interests in (there are lists of turn-offs and turn-ons on this site) and describe your COMMON interests based on these lists.
The right-most picture is too dark.
Have pictures of yourself in various activities. Take a look at mine and you will see what I mean.
Other than that, all I can say is good fishing.
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak

Would love to hear some feeback :)
Posted: 7/26/2009 4:23:04 PM
Hi Louis,

Hi thanks for taking the time out of your day to read about me,

This is good.

My name's Louis and I'm a lad who's honestly just trying to enjoy life for how beautiful it really is,
This is not so good. It sounds appologetic to me and you have no reason to appologize - yet. Take it out.

I love to meet people and I'm the type of guy that despite not always being the sharpest tool in the shed
This is not so good. It suggests that you are somehow not worth bothering with.

will give you the shirt off my back and try to treat you with as much respect as possible if you're willing to respect me in return, this doesn't mean you always have to agree with me however ;)
This suggests to me that you lack self confidence. I would drop the part about trading respects. It also suggests that if the other party does not respect you, you will not respect the other person. In fact, if the other person does not return the respect, you will drop her.

Oh and I have to admit I'm a huge flirt at times and not always the suave type either, I can be a little bit goof at times and I love to laugh so it tends to fit in with just who I am.
Drop the part about being a flirt. If lady 1 knows you are going to flirt with lady 2 she will say, "who needs him. I want someone who gives me all his attention."

I'd like to think I can be quite talkative
Drop the words, "I'd like to think..." Just say, "I can be quite talkative but I also love listening to people that have things to talk about

(I'll be honest I don't mean about what happened on the OC last week I'm more
Drop the words, "(I'll be honest I don't mean about what happened on the OC last week I'm more ... " and start with, "I'm interested into how something is effecting your world or something that's going on in the world around you."

For instance here's a question for you: What's the first name of the last person you said thanks to? it might be a totally random question but to me things like that matter, I think life needs to have those sort of answers.
This is a very good idea, but not a good question. My conversation starter is, "What is the most interesting thing you did last week?"

I wish you the bestest
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak

Is it me?
Posted: 7/25/2009 4:44:39 PM
I am not a great guy. I am a paranomyasiac.
If you don't know what that is, look it up under "puns" in Wikipedia.

Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 9 (view)

My little story
Posted: 7/25/2009 4:38:57 PM
There is a story which Jewish people tell which describes your situation.

A man was visiting the cemetery to place flowers on the grave of a family member. While there, he heard a man a few stones down from him crying screaming at the top of his lungs, "WHY DID YOU DIE. WHY DID YOU HAVE TO GO AND DIE?"

The first man walked over to the second, put his hand on the second man's shoulder and asked, "Is the man burried here a relative?"

"No," the second man said tearfully and went on screaming, "WHY DID YOU DIE. WHY DID YOU HAVE TO GO AND DIE?"

"Was he a friend of yours?" the first man asked.

"No," the second man said tearfully and went on screaming, "WHY DID YOU DIE. WHY DID YOU HAVE TO GO AND DIE?"

"Then why are you crying over his grave?" the first man asked.

"He was my wife's first husband."

Leib
 leib ben yitshak
Msg: 4 (view)

Please offer me some feedback.
Posted: 7/2/2009 8:16:16 PM
My reaction is that your profile is merely a list in prose format. What you have to say is good, but if you discuss many "I like to's" in one paragraph it is overwhelming.

While you are on the line, so to speak, let me also indicate that, to me, listing too many interests is the equivalent of saying, "I am interested in everything but stopped listing these things when I ran out of time and space." Thus, my suggestion would be to prioritize your interests and list the top 2 or 3 and tell your reader why you are interested in these particular elements.

Good Fishing
Leib
 leib ben yitshak

Profile review please...too much maybe?
Posted: 7/2/2009 8:09:33 PM
Your profile is unique to say the least. On the other hand, it is like a Gilbert and Sullivan operetta, lots of words and music and saying nothing.

My suggestion is to write a profile that describes your desireable qualities and interests. Saying that your goal is to become Mr. America will make you unique and have appeal to a large number of ladies who are looking for physically fit guys (Maria Shriber did).

My other suggestion is to read one or two the comments directed at others who have asked for profile reviews. For the most part they are very astute comments.

Good Fishing
Leib
 leib ben yitshak

Profile review
Posted: 7/2/2009 7:59:40 PM
My reaction has to do with the 22 items in your "Interests" list.

Listing too many interests limits the number of people who will respond to you. It is saying, in effect, "I am interested in everything." It is like using a shotgun to shoot ducks at 200 yards. You will hit some, but not have anything to eat for dinner.

This seems to be a good place for me to stop. Others will make further suggestions.

Good Fishing
Leib

Show ALL Forums