Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: It takes faith to believe in science - I'd say no.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 418 (view)

It takes faith to believe in science - I'd say no.
Posted: 4/7/2010 9:03:55 PM
Admittedly, Frog, the analogy was ad hoc, but I meant for the logic to appear flawed because the theory itself is flawed. In the true story of the aether concept, the scientists studying it did indeed believe in it based on assumptions i.e. nothing scientific. The fact that this didn't stop it from being studied well past the turn of the century is a testament to how thick-headed we all are.
I completely agree that flawed logic invalidates an experiment's resulting theory, and that is essentially the problem with the idea that faith requires science or vice versa. It's a question being asked about entirely separate systems becoming dependent on one another, so how can it be answered?
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 53 (view)

The Pandemic That Wasn't - What Have We learned ?
Posted: 4/7/2010 8:38:29 PM

The BEES....those KILLER BEES!!!

It's funny and all, but isn't it peculiar... isn't it just WACKY... that this issue hasn't been brought up for a while now? I think we know why that is. Hear me out.

The issue started to become major in the past 30 years ,and where did it do so, hmm? Hmm? Yeah, the US. That's right. Let's then look at H1N1. Where did the first cases get confirmed by the CDC? Oh, did you say the US? Oh yeah, you're RIGHT.
A highly qualified bad disease-ologist has recently spoken to me from his office in the CDC. Naturally, he wishes to remain anonymous because chemtrails can indeed kill a person inside their home if THEY want them to. I abide by his wishes. Anyway, he provided incontrovertible proof of this connection.
Since it's obviously not a coincidence, the only sensible conclusion is that the US government has been trying to develop an ethnic-specific nerve gas to eliminate Communist enemies for decades now. It was first tested on bees because hey, ya gotta start somewhere. And all those whales washing up on beaches dead? Yeah, that's right: NERVE GAS.
So now heeeeere we aaaaaare.... swine flu is over, huh? No need for vaccines or any other protection, huh? Mmhmm, that's right. It complicates the process of infection, so Big Pharma had to work with the US gov't to broker a deal in which Big Pharma gets monarchic control of the entire continent of Australia in exchange for allowing the US govt to proceed with its plans for a New World Order elsewhere.
In conclusion, there's no reason to panic because we're all gonna die.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 18 (view)

Coast to Coast AM - Paranormal radio at it's best!
Posted: 4/7/2010 6:54:43 PM
Mallett did get a lot of publicity for awhile because he was running around claiming that he'd build a working time machine. His original theory involved frame-dragging with slowed-down laser beams. Eventually, I guess it was proven that this method wouldn't work, so he had to admit the error and work in a different direction. He seems to be continuing his research.

http://www.phys.uconn.edu/~mallett/main/main.htm
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 16 (view)

Coast to Coast AM - Paranormal radio at it's best!
Posted: 4/7/2010 2:09:01 PM
I've listened and I've also stalked the threads on GodlikeProductions for awhile.

I don't know if this is true for everyone, but spending more than maybe two hours at this stuff can cause my brain to twist into möbius strips. But it's fun at times.

A good one was where Noory interviewed Ron Mallett because Prof. Mallett actually is trying to make a time machine while being true to physics.
 AtomicGogol

A curious bottom of the Ocean feature.......
Posted: 4/7/2010 2:00:28 PM
What's wrong with seeing cool images and just thinking they're cool?

Here's some neatness for all : http://www.drublair.com/comersus/store/tica.asp

What you see is not what you get.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 211 (view)

Greed... is good? I definitely think so.
Posted: 4/7/2010 1:50:13 PM
From a biological standpoint, greed is sometimes necessary and sometimes unnecessary. Elephants are a good example. A herd might eat an entire field of foliage, and then another herd is stuck looking elsewhere. Conversely, when a herd member dies, the other elephants will attempt to actually bury him and maintain a vigil for a while. This is obviously dangerous because that gives predators a chance to sneak up and attack them, but they do it anyway.
My opinion is that greed is necessary for the survival of the unit (herd/family/country) but selflessness is a sign of intelligence beyond simple animal instincts. If greed gets to the point where you might be, oh I don't know, embezzling $2.3 billion from investors, I'd say you're functionally impaired. That has no benefit whatsoever to the individual or unit.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 184 (view)

I Define Physics As Believing Things On Faith
Posted: 4/7/2010 1:32:06 PM
There are some interesting fringe theories by physicists and cosmologists if one were to snoop around a bit. One that stands out to me is the anthropic principle. This is a theory made a while back to explain why the universe seems to be perfectly suitable for us to live in it. Later on, people used the multiverse theory to show that of course the universe is perfect for us: it is literally MADE for us. In some other universe, gravity might work vastly differently so we couldn't exist there.
This is an attempt by some to explain an exceedingly confusing aspect of our universe with reverse logic. It most certainly stumbles right into metaphysics while claiming to make sense scientifically. However neat the concept is, it has no place in the world of science.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 51 (view)

What do you deem as a useless/pointless invention?
Posted: 4/7/2010 1:20:25 PM
Anything and everything sold in Sky Mall. And probably Avon.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 416 (view)

Posted: 4/7/2010 1:16:18 PM

Honestly, the functional difference between the two is simply unbridgeable. Any sufficiently-motivated and skilled person can duplicate or falsify the results of any given scientific experiment, thereby assuring themselves that the results are accurate, support the current theory from which they derive, etc... Or falsifying them, providing proof that the theory is invalid in at least some cases, requiring a re-assessment by the scientific community working in that field. Still no aspect of faith required.

I'd have to disagree with that statement. If we take as an example an attempt to scientifically prove that aether really does exist, well I can use an experiment to show that light moves through every medium, even space, and since there isn't air in space, that proves there must be aether there. If I adopt the true scientific method to my experiment and allow my idea to be peer-reviewed, then it would be quickly proven false by even more experimentation proving that aether isn't real. So if I continue to use dubious logic and flawed scientific methodology, then I can say that aether is still real. That doesn't make me right.

I know that the scientific and UN-scientific worlds are rife with this though, so in that sense I completely agree. The key factor is a person's motivation, followed by their willingness to ignore everyone else.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 49 (view)

CERN/LHC starting up soon
Posted: 4/6/2010 12:16:11 PM
I applaud you on your brave assault on woo-dom, Cheshire. And by the way, the Earth has already been destroyed, so you're all wrong.

http://qntm.org/board
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 413 (view)

Posted: 4/6/2010 11:37:06 AM
I see this thread is a bit edgy, so instead of replying to the thread's content, I'll reply to the OP.
I agree that it doesn't take faith to believe in science because you're using two mutually exclusive concepts. Belief requires a subject which is open to interpretation (i.e. I believe in the Word of the Prophet) whereas science requires a subject which can only be described in one way - the one science defines it as.
As a butt-covering aside, science is never COMPLETELY right because we don't know all there is to know.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 3 (view)

How do you stay optimistic?
Posted: 4/6/2010 11:28:53 AM
I stay optimistic by thinking of good things in life, like loved ones, good food, music, etc. If we all broke down in fear over an impending issue like global warming, we'd be screwed. And we'd have to worry for 1000 years probably, because it may take that long to reverse itself. :p I'll be busy in 3010 flying to Andromeda, so I can't be bothered...
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 9 (view)

Science Centre credibility takes a hit
Posted: 4/6/2010 11:23:26 AM
I'd have to agree with the spirit of the last poster. Having something demonstrably unscientific in a science center may be incorrect for adults or seriously interested tykes, but a lot of kids may care less about the science... UNTIL...
Hopefully it gives a reason to actually wonder about and see the rest of the fascinating stuff you guys have up in this establishment. So what other exhibits are there in the Science Centre?
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 180 (view)

Black holes...help!
Posted: 12/17/2009 9:19:11 PM
Surely a 1-dimensional point of infinite density is scientifically flawed. Does anyone here have a say on this?
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 13 (view)

If you could.....
Posted: 12/17/2009 9:12:25 PM
I guess the real dilemma in modern society is how to protect against an archaic illness. We're all vaccinated against things like measles, but what about some hemorrhagic fever coming out of the rainforest? The virus may be so old it hasn't evolved much in over 50 million years and yet that is precisely why it could be so lethal.
In that respect, I agree with the idea that disease is impossible to eliminate.

If I could do it though, I would. For a ransom fee of ONE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS. *pinky gesture*
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 19 (view)

Math is weird !!!
Posted: 12/17/2009 9:07:42 PM
This is a really fascinating subject from a non-math dude's perspective. I applaud you guys for having the energy to discuss all of this and so I bring another interesting concept to the table...

The concept of a finite infinity in mathematics is intriguing because it seems to make no sense. If I remember correctly, the Gabriel's Horn concept explains how a horn with an infinite surface area will have finite volume and so you could paint the interior surface with a set amount of paint even though it goes on forever. How is this possible?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel's_Horn
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 39 (view)

If it's true that matter can neither be created nor destroyed...
Posted: 12/17/2009 8:51:42 PM

matter can be destroyed, it energy that cant be created or destroyed

Since matter is essentially compressed energy, then it would lead to the statement 'matter = energy' and thus nothing is created or destroyed. This doesn't take into account quantum mechanics or the whole zero point energy concept.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 39 (view)

Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/16/2009 9:30:44 PM
Information is constantly being learned and developed on. Since that's the case, our reality has changed. As an example, the reality is that Pluto is a dwarf planet. Twenty years ago, that wasn't the reality. The OBJECTIVE reality of Pluto being there never changes, but our perception of it does. So our SUBJECTIVE reality is constantly changing.
I guess the question is, what flavor of reality do we refer to here?
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 52 (view)

What is the Nature of Reality?
Posted: 12/16/2009 9:24:57 PM
The nature of reality is:

Groovy.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 26 (view)

The true nature of gravity
Posted: 12/16/2009 9:11:52 PM
Here's my take on it, senor... and I assume you mean the propulsion method

First off, the limited amount of material online implies no peer review, and the lack of scientific analysis or calculation makes it seem silly. Also, the stuff I found claims to show proof of this propulsion system in NASA-built UFOs. I don't think I need to comment on that humdinger.

But let's say it's possible for fun. Can a physics major here please explain how such a thing would -or would not- work?
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 66 (view)

Norway Spiral
Posted: 12/16/2009 8:52:00 PM
I agree, Bowden; this spiral thing hasn't been very effectively reported on. However, for anyone interested, the Russian military did admit to a failed Bulava missile test launched from the White Sea.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1234773/The-answer-mystery-Norways-spiral-light-display-Was-failed-Russian-Bulava-missile-test.html

I'm sure that people will debate this, so I'm not trying to defend any point of view. I personally believe it was a missile, but we're all big people here, so believe what you want. :)
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 43 (view)

If there is no life after death, how do you justify respect for life?
Posted: 12/16/2009 8:27:18 PM
I admire anyone who thinks to pose such questions, but I find it unfortunate when the questions are worded as if the answers are already known. For something as profound as the value of life, there really is no right answer, so to argue it is pointless.
I personally think human life and personality are precious things, but I can't PROVE that they're precious. I actually just had a conversation with a buddy about how life is pointless suffering and anxiety. This isn't the same as the OP which says that life ends at death. In both cases though, I think the logic goes like this, or it does for me when I'm depressed:
Life is pointless or irrelevant, thus death is inconsequential. So suicide is a must.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 21 (view)

If there is no life after death, how do you justify respect for life?
Posted: 12/15/2009 12:41:14 AM
I find it irritating when people make statements like 'since there is no afterlife' or 'since life ends at death.' These are entirely unanswered questions, so having definites is purely subjective. Therefore, there are no definites.
At this point in time, we don't even have a firm understanding of what the mind is or how it exists, so any issues about where it goes after the body dies are left open to personal belief and that's ok.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 66 (view)

Are we working contrary to evolution as a species?
Posted: 12/13/2009 11:44:54 PM
I think that's an interesting point, twister, but I don't think I'd characterize depression as something recent or more pronounced now. I think the variations that cause it happened since humans first evolved but we notice it more now because of society.
As someone who deals with depression, I think a happy medium needs to be met. The fact is that it can be debilitating like any other illness, but it can create a very unique perspective. Trying to live with it out of control for some benefit or such is silly because it's not something you can turn on or off.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 128 (view)

1=1 Is it a fact a theory or both?
Posted: 12/13/2009 11:34:36 PM
I assume you bowed to the author, since I didn't actually write that. :) I just agree with it.

Philosophically, it means if I understand it correctly, if something is "gone" through fire or erosion etc, there will always be something else to take its place. In nature, voids are always filled.

I think you're referring to it scientifically, and it's simple conservation of matter/energy that prohibits anything from completely going away. Therefore, there isn't any true void or empty space as we would think because something is always present, even in interstellar space. I apologize if I misunderstood you; let me know.
Also, I wasn't sure why you concluded that the only number is zero. Could you explain?
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 32 (view)

Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/13/2009 11:26:41 PM
I don't know about the mind control stuff mentioned... I think the HAARP program is especially open and talkative about their research, so it seems unlikely that it'd be weapon-related. After all, American black ops are usually kept very tightly sealed, such as the F-117. People didn't even see that until years after it was built.
Anyway, about reality. Philip K****said it well:
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
 atomicgogol
Msg: 374 (view)

Do you believe we landed on the moon?
Posted: 12/11/2009 8:53:09 PM
I wish I could say, funcuz, but the Freemasons won't release that information until after the alignment occurs.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 15 (view)

When it's my time...
Posted: 12/10/2009 8:37:49 PM
I think it's possible to make some horrific mistakes in life and accept them as part of your learning process. In that respect, I wouldn't regret those mistakes; without them, I wouldn't know what I know. To me, regret comes from choices that have made my life worse than it needs to be by my own standards. Living on the street is ok - no regret. Becoming a drug addict - regret.
This is purely an opinion of course.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 177 (view)

Black holes...help!
Posted: 12/10/2009 8:33:02 PM
I believe you're spot on, mtnbike. I for one would like to know if naked singularities will ever be found. Black holes seem to me to be a flaw in general relativity because of their infinite nature. Further refinement of quantum gravity theory and any observation of a naked singularity would clear it up a lot, wouldn't it?
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 50 (view)

Describe your soul~
Posted: 12/10/2009 8:27:44 PM
How in the world can a thought go through a double slit experiment?
As for my soul, I think it is a purple light and a soothing hum.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 60 (view)

The Universe is both possible and impossible.
Posted: 12/10/2009 8:07:26 PM

Clearly you're unfamiliar with Air Supply for they can make love out of nothing at all...out of nothing at all.

AtomicGogol

Save the Whales, Eat the Pandas
Posted: 12/10/2009 8:02:06 PM
I totally agree, Jenna. Personally, I think the real goal should be to create a demand for extinct species that can be recreated. I believe there's evidence that a wooly mammoth could be recreated, so I'd say we need to make a market for faux mammoth fur coats. Eventually, the nobby types would want the real deal, and capital investment would find its way into mammoth production. This is useful for two reasons. First, it allows us to further investigate how extinct species lived and operated in contrast to their modern descendants. Second, imagine the comfort of baby smilodon slippers...
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 17 (view)

Something a little less serious
Posted: 12/10/2009 6:12:36 PM
I love questions like this, so I give kudos to you, Lecutter. Personally, I would think that someone being made 1/100th of normal size would have such smaller brain volume and synaptic connections that their intelligence would be reduced to something of similar size, like a guinea pig. However, a human brain has more convolution than a guinea pig's, so maybe this mini-dude would be slightly more intelligent. Needless to say, he won't be accomplishing many secret missions for the CIA. However, I'd say such a creature could exist.
If I had to fight a spider and I was of equal size, I'd hope I'm slightly smarter than it. If so, then I'd use a bunch of leaves to make myself look bigger to scare it away. If that didn't work, I would roundhouse-kick him so hard I'd split his constituent atoms and thus cause a minor nuclear explosion.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 127 (view)

Posted: 12/10/2009 4:05:21 PM
Touche, Senor J. I like your style. :)
 AtomicGogol

THINGS I FIND FUNNY
Posted: 12/10/2009 3:38:10 PM
Here's something for everyone. I hope you get a laugh as I did...

I was talking to this Peruvian guy a while ago, and he was telling me how everyone was scared in the 1960's that the Soviets would blow up the world, even in Peru. So this entrepreneur decided to buy up 100,000 acres in the Sechura Desert in northern Peru. He paid about $1/acre because it was totally desolate wasteland and the gov't didn't want it. He then started advertising that people should buy his land because he was POSITIVE the Soviets wouldn't bother to nuke this godforsaken real estate, and people did just that. He sold for like $250/acre or something and ended up making a hell of a profit.

I laughed my butt off when I heard this....
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 13 (view)

Suffering is really just a catalyst for change
Posted: 12/10/2009 3:22:50 PM
I liked your post, Ronnica, but I don't know if I totally agree. I'm on the fence...
I think suffering is defined as enduring pain, but I don't know if I'd agree that it's never getting through the pain. I think we've all suffered in our lives, and it definitely sucked, but I intuitively knew it would eventually end. However, I do agree with you that pain is a learning experience. It's also a lot better at teaching a lesson than feeling good can be. The sad thing about humanity is that we know that pain can do so much, and so we oftentimes bring pain to others to accomplish our goals. That can be physical, emotional or mental pain. I remember an interview with a Taliban fighter once, and he defended the use of hideous torture on prisoners. His logic was that in order to achieve their political goals, they couldn't just kill people. They had to inflict massive pain on these people to make others realize they meant business.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 125 (view)

Posted: 12/10/2009 3:14:34 PM
I know what you're saying, Just. The correspondence is that mathematics is a language to describe the reality we're in. Obviously, if we didn't have mathematics, the reality would still be there, albeit undescribed.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 123 (view)

Posted: 12/10/2009 3:07:12 PM
I think an amusing article about this subject can be found here:

http://qntm.org/?destroy#sec5

Proving that 1=0.

If 1 did indeed equal 0, so it is reasoned, then since there is 1 Earth, there must be 0 Earths... so, if one could prove it, the Earth would cease to exist. This is specious logic. Finding a proof in mathematics does not magically change a fact from being false to being true. It merely verifies rigorously as true a fact that always was true. Thus, if 1=0 could be proved, then it would always have been true and the Earth should never have existed. But Earth is still here. QED.

In fact it would be impossible for there to even exist a universe in which 1 was equal to 0. For any mathematical system in which 1=0, it is extremely trivial to prove, in addition, that 1=2, 2=3, and in fact that every number is equal. Or, in other words, the mathematical system has only one number in it, 0. In a universe which obeyed such laws, there would be nothing at all.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 372 (view)

Do you believe we landed on the moon?
Posted: 12/10/2009 2:09:36 PM
I think people will keep debating the moon landings until 2012 when the galactic alignment occurs, the poles reverse and dogs start crossbreeding with cats.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 56 (view)

Posted: 12/10/2009 2:05:47 PM
If you want to truly understand it, then don't think like a human. Think universally.

Um... what?
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 28 (view)

The meaning of the meaningless - A perhaps meaningless theorem
Posted: 12/10/2009 2:03:50 PM
This isn't precisely related to the OP, but I thought everyone would get a kick out of it...

In the second scroll of Wen the Eternally Surprised a story is written concerning one day when the apprentice Clodpool, in a rebellious mood, approached Wen and spake thusly: "Master, what is the difference between a humanistic, monastic system of belief in which wisdom is sought by means of an apparently nonsensical system of questions and answers, and a lot of mystic gibberish made up on the spur of the moment?" Wen considered this for some time, and at last said: "A fish!" And Clodpool went away, satisfied.

-- (Terry Pratchett)
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 54 (view)

Posted: 12/10/2009 1:58:22 PM

The universe exist. Therefore, it is possible.

Without sounding like a cop-out, the universe can exist because it does. It's like the Babelfish argument from HHGG.

Since something cannot come from nothing, it is not possible for time, space, matter, or energy to exists. Therefore, it is not possible for universe to exist.

Virtual particle-antiparticle pairs are known to pop in and out of existence, and in the vicinity of a black hole, one falls in while another escapes, thus accounting for the infamous Hawking radiation around a black hole. This basically shows that, from our perspective, something can indeed come from nothing. If you want links to any of this info, I'll gladly help you out.

The universe could not have have always existed for a infinite length of time. Otherwise, since entropy is always increasing, it would have ran down to maximum entropy, and yet the only possibility is that the universe has always existed.

Our current understanding is that the universe is about 13.7 billion years old, so it hasn't existed forever. Since the universe is known to be expanding due to unknown forces, the uniformity of matter and energy will keep advancing until eventually (and I mean a VERY long time from now) everything will be evenly distributed with no matter or interaction between particles. The point is, the universe more than likely does have a beginning of sorts and will never have an end, even if nothing can exist in it by that time.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 23 (view)

Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/10/2009 1:37:38 PM
Appreciative, I entirely agree with your thoughts here. I hope it didn't sound like I was referring to multiverse theory as a 'loophole' to understanding reality. I think it would give us a much better understanding of cosmology and it may even help to figure out a theory for gravity, but we wouldn't be able to say what reality is any better.
I think that this question is best answered in a biology perspective. Our brains are capable of self-awareness and thinking about thinking, so that's the real question to answer. How do humans have such an elaborate understanding of reality?
 AtomicGogol

Imagine that you are 6,000,000,000 lightyears tall.
Posted: 12/10/2009 1:40:32 AM
I think being 6 billion light years tall would be pretty neat because your gravity well would be so deep that you'd literally pull the local universe into, plastering yourself with stars and nebulae. As this happens, you'd try to move and breathe and realize that the contraction of muscles and lungs would take literally millions or billions of years (not to mention synaptic firing between neurons). And then the vertigo would kick in, and then the question of what to eat.
By the end of my first few billion years, I'd be so disgruntled that I'd begin to smoke entire galaxies and I'd get so muncy that I'd forget where I was and start asking questions about God and reality to a passing supercluster.
And where would I get good Thai?
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 34 (view)

WATER has MEMORY ! ! !
Posted: 12/10/2009 1:33:30 AM
I think this is a very admirable message to preach by Dr. Emoto, but I do think he is flawed in his scientific description of it. As with ANY scientific theory, you need peer review and independent research arriving at the same results that you got. If you don't see that happening or - worse- if Emoto doesn't share his research with peers and thus maintains a 'secret awareness' of sorts, then he's inevitably going to be labeled a joke. The fact that he has actually admitted to not being a scientist and is a doctor in certification alone, not actual Ph. D accreditation... well it doesn't help.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 22 (view)

Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/10/2009 1:26:45 AM
Interesting choice of subject here, OP. IT is a perfect example of why it's great to be human. Simply because we have the ability to wonder how we have the ability to perceive what may or may not be there.... that's pretty frickin' awesome. The nature of reality is one of those things that you can't really articulate for one major reason. We exist within this reality, and thus any attempt to objectively analyze it is impossible. Our only chances are to determine the laws of physics within this universe and hopefully (in my mind) eventually come to an understanding of a multiverse theory, even if we can't possibly explore those places. We could only hope to see how they may influence our own universe.

But that's my two cents.
 atomicgogol
Msg: 6 (view)

Lost in Translation
Posted: 10/26/2009 10:05:10 AM
You folks are all very much appreciated. i can see the variety of opinions and beliefs on here as to what I should do, and I'm mainly agreeing with the majority opinion: cut my losses. It's been a while since I've been on the dating scene and my skills aren't exactly fine-tuned. On top of that, I am indeed a weirdo (but in a good way). Also, procolharem, I don't really know how to take that contact opportunity without being a total stalker who doesn't respect a lady, so I don't know about that.

On a side note, I notice that many posts on here complain about mixed signals. I suppose I can direct this question to women - what's the deal with that anyway? I totally understand when guys complain about that because it's happened to me plenty of times too. I recall one example of a girl I wasn't even interested in, but I spoke to her online for a while and I wanted to hang out in person for a nice chat, so we went to some Thai place and she was so excited to hang out with this e-friend. By the end of the meal, she was quite literally walking out the door to meet someone and asking that I remain distant so he didn't get the wrong impression. I thought to myself, what the heck?!!! When did this become a date?? And more importantly, when did I go from being a friend to an inconvenient face?
Why do young women do this all the time without any explanation? Ladies, if you recall doing such things, I would appreciate any light you could shed on the matter.
 atomicgogol
Msg: 3 (view)

Lost in Translation
Posted: 10/25/2009 11:36:10 PM
As Vonnegut said...

So it goes, my friend. :)
 atomicgogol
Msg: 2 (view)

Lost in Translation
Posted: 10/25/2009 10:45:31 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the words of male wisdom. I am a weirdo, no doubt about it, but I certainly understand what you mean. I've been around the block a few times and I have the bruises to prove it. :) All in all, I guess it just pisses me off. I was already having a bad week with work and family, and here's this particularly interesting young lady who comes outta nowhere with intense interest in a chat. Them's the breaks though; thank god there are another 3 billion of them out there. lol
 atomicgogol
Msg: 1 (view)

Lost in Translation
Posted: 10/25/2009 10:14:20 PM
I just recently spoke to a very colorful young lady on here, and I was immediately smitten by her having interests similar to my own. However, during our first phone conversation, I was at a friend's house and I felt uneasy leaving him alone, so I became uneasy on the phone. To make a long story short, I came across as rude and downright freaky, and she eventually hung up on me. This was after a brief chat about the Saw movies and I asked the what the most elaborate way of killing a person in a movie might be in her opinion. Bottom line, I screwed up. Now she has blocked me and I find myself wondering if it's worth trying to prove I'm not insane.
Now, I know who I am of course. I like photography, Russian literature, time travel and existentialist thought. I eat jelly beans and I consider gypsy fiddle music to be awesome. Most importantly, I am an eccentric philosophical type, but I NEVER got labeled as a rude and disgusting pig. Rather, my ex's have known me as a gentleman; just perhaps not the one for them.
My question to you kind anonymous folks is thus:
Should I let it go since I have no way of contacting this person without disrespecting her wish to be left alone by a judgmental lunatic she spoke to on the phone, or should I pursue what I feel may be something good if I am given the chance?

Show ALL Forums