Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: do men actually like curvy women vs the skinny pencil one?
 Lone_Stranger
Msg: 233 (view)

do men actually like curvy women vs the skinny pencil one?
Posted: 6/8/2012 2:04:04 PM
The whole premise of this thread is very misleading.

When someone describes a person as being "skinny as a pencil" it brings images of concentration camp survivers to mind and probably could be used to describe some models out there too.
That's not attractive or healthy and has nothing in common with someone who is slim to average and at a healthy wieght.

"Curvy" can mean so many different things depending on who you talk to it becomes meaningless.
Some obese and overwieght women like to call themselves "curvy" and different guys have their own idea of what makes a woman curvy.
My last girlfriend was a little over 5' tall, 110 lbs and is one of the curviest women I've ever dated......she sure looked good in a bikini !
 Just call me Gary
Msg: 12 (view)

Chemistry..... on POF
Posted: 11/26/2009 4:22:56 PM
Yea I noticed too that all of us apparently have little or no self control.

Probably why were all here !
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 3 (view)

Vernon - where does one go to meet single ppl in RL?
Posted: 8/26/2009 11:08:17 PM
For a city the size of Vernon I'm amazed that for anyone over 30 there's no good place to go out to meet people and go dancing.
The only half decent place we had got turned into that strip club when it changed owners and now it sits almost empty......lol.

The last good place was years ago when the Wildhorse was still going.

That's what this town needs is a good country bar again !
wonder what we can do to make that happen ?
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 14 (view)

Do call centre workers feel they're under the thumb of Nazi dictators?
Posted: 8/26/2009 10:48:46 PM
Learn the goose step and do a couple "Hiel Hitler's" every morning when you start work and you should get along fine with your Nazi bosses........lol
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 98 (view)

POF Lessons
Posted: 8/3/2009 8:29:22 AM
You could try to get an objective opinion on your looks (rate me) your bait (profile reviews),

I tried that a couple years ago but my dog got a higher rating than I did !
(he was a good looking dog).........lol !
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 89 (view)

POF Lessons
Posted: 8/2/2009 9:00:45 AM
Does anyone actually find anyone here?

Yes
I came close to being gone from here just in the last few months.

You will have setbacks, and you'll make friends along the way............. just don't give up.
Be realistic of who your looking for, try to be postive, take a break from POF if you need it, be sincere and honest and put an effort into your profile.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 60 (view)

Hot enough for ya?
Posted: 8/1/2009 7:19:08 AM
I remember in May wondering when we'll start getting nice, warm weather and thinking........this better be a long, hot summer, to make up for the crappy winter we had.
I guess we should be careful what we wish for.

The hottest I've seen was in Kamloops over 20 years ago, it was 115 F.
thats about 47 C
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 86 (view)

POF Lessons
Posted: 8/1/2009 12:19:19 AM
I think it's important to remember than POF is just a tool.....a means to meet someone you would'nt likely meet otherwise.

I think too many become addicted to it as a replacement for a social life........well except maybe those that meet friends here but that friendship is not dependant on this dating site.

And I also like the forums but I think you will not find a partner for the long run unless you are able to leave this dating site behind when you find that special someone.

It's too easy when you keep that list always handy for the next replacement at the first sign of difficulty.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 83 (view)

POF Lessons
Posted: 7/31/2009 6:23:40 PM
Sounds like the biggest complaint from women is men who lie about their height.
I've also noticed some women who say they have an average figure when they are 40 + lbs overwieght.
I don't talk to other men about honesty on POF but I've heard it a few times from women.....that there are lots of men who are'nt honest in their profiles.

But there's women too that are'nt honest.

And then there's women where priority #1 in their profile is the man must be much taller than themselves, or be a biker, a bad boy, take them on an endless holiday somewhere or has the flashiest profile.
Or anything else that should not be the top priority when picking a mate.
And then they wonder what happened.

That is why were all here, to meet someone to live happily ever after with.

I guess I've been lucky so far.......I've met some nice ladies here and almost all were more or less honest about themselves in their profile.
And I think we can improve the odds by looking for the substance behind someone's profile.
I also know there are lots of ladies where height is not the biggest priority

The most important thing......be honest cause if you meet, there gonna find out sooner or later anyways.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 16 (view)

Would you date yourself?
Posted: 6/3/2009 10:47:10 AM
I'd prefer to date someone who looks and sounds nothing like me.....lol

but I still like who I am.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 5 (view)

Would you Like to become a Grandma/Grand Pa
Posted: 6/3/2009 10:35:31 AM

I think to hold dear your babies' babies would be the second greatest gift of all.

I also really like the idea of handing them back at the end of the day ..

Spoil them first ........then hand them back.

lol....I enjoy very much being a grandpa.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 15 (view)

do girls really want us to mail them when they view our profile?
Posted: 5/25/2009 9:07:02 PM
Most set it so you don't know if they've viewed your profile.

Sometimes I'll set it ( it's in the mail settings) so they can see you were viewing their profile......a subtle way to let someone know you were checking them out.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 541 (view)

Do men like it when women contact them first?
Posted: 5/25/2009 8:45:36 PM
I would prefer to be contacted first because I am afraid of women. One got loose and bit me

Yea, I can see your point.........lol

I also prefer the woman to contact me, especially if she read my profile first.........but for an entirely different reason......lol.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 58 (view)

Do you hesitate to contact someone with zero roses left?
Posted: 5/6/2009 1:40:45 PM
I'd rather she had all her roses intact than all used up, I mean .....how do you know what she's been up to if there all gone ?
Sure has'nt been with you....lol.

Seriously, I don't think it matters much other than maybe she's tryin too hard with too many people.
Myself......I've never sent a rose here, if I'm gonna do that I'll get a real one and give it to her in person.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 8 (view)

What is it with women and their power tools?
Posted: 3/28/2009 8:08:37 AM
Don't worry GF, Some men get turned on by "helpless females".

It's good to know where still needed for something and us guys need all the encouragement we can get these days.....lol.

I wonder if some women make it appear that their helpless, maybe when a man might be watching ......hmmmm
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 15 (view)

American Arrogance/Ignorance
Posted: 3/24/2009 8:04:20 AM
Casuality rate means.......rate of casualties as a percentage to the number of troops fighting.
When you compare populations Canada does more than it's share.
Canada has the highest casualty rate of all the Allies in the Afgan war, Canada also had a higher casualty rate than the U.S. during both world wars.

And like MG said Canadians, Americans and the British have been fighting for freedom side by side for a long time.......a tradition we should all be proud of.

Something that I have noticed, those that would make light of why we are there fighting in Afganistan also don't seem to draw a connection between Afganistan and 9/11.

That is why Americans, British, Canadians and others are there fighting and dying right ????
And that's why this sad attempt at humor is not funny......even though it came from a news network that apparently should not be taken seriously.

No other news network that I know of (other than maybe our enemies) would make fun of troops that are fighting and dying for America and our freedom........that's what so many find disgusting.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 13 (view)

Posted: 3/24/2009 1:47:07 AM
I like satire and humor as much as anybody but there is a limit.
And I never heard of that show red eye till now.
But Fox news is a major American news network that a lot of Americans watch.

It's bad enough this Fox show called Red Eye was making fun of soldiers fighting and dying in Afganistan and who are defending America from those that are responsible for 9/11 .
Trying to defend it as humor is even worse.

I'll never forget the day the twin towers came down and that's why our Canadian soldiers have been over there in Afganistan fighting, trying to pick up the ball America dropped.
Canadian troops have taken the highest casualty rate there cause we've taken on the toughest fight......just like we always have.
Probably the biggest reason why where ending it after 10 years is because the U.S. for some strange reason did'nt consider Afganistan as important.
If it's not important to Americans to go after those that attacked you on 9/11 then why should Canada continue to send fallen soldiers back from Afganistan.

The heading of this thread should have been different but I understand the anger the OP felt when he started it.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 10 (view)

Posted: 3/23/2009 6:55:40 PM
I think it's safe to say the majority of Americans are more intelligent and much better informed than those commentators on Fox news.
And certainly have more class.
Yea I was upset but you have to consider the source, here you have these Fox news commentators making fun of Canadian soldiers who are fighting and dying defending America and all of us from those that are responsible for 9/11.
At the same time as 4 more of our soldiers were coming home in body bags.
Would those same people at Fox news put their lives at stake to defend their own country ?

I'm very proud of our Canadian soldiers and what their doing in Afganistan, I'm also encouraged that the U.S. finally has a president who understands the importance of going after those responsible for 9/11.
It only took 8 years .......... probably a few years too late.

Canadians have always fought bravely and carried more than their share of the load defending freedom.....World War One, World War Two, Korea and now especially Afganistan.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 21 (view)

Meeting halfway?
Posted: 3/22/2009 11:29:56 PM
It takes 2 making an extra effort for a long distance relationship to work.

And I think traveling to visit the other person is better than meeting halfway, it almost happened with me a few weeks ago.
Except I blew it.....backed out a couple days before and she was not impressed, I had my reasons but the biggest one was what if I fell for her and then I started thinking........how am I going to make this work.
I like doing spontaneuos things when I'm seeing a lady.......take her out for lunch, pick her up for a beer after work, hit the beach or go for a drive.
That won't happen with a long distance relationship.....everything has to be planned in advance and crammed into a short period of time.

I suppose sometimes it does work but you really have to be ready for all that it takes to make a long distance relationship work.
I guess I was'nt......... it's a shame cause she's a nice gal.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 375 (view)

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH COUNTRY MUSIC?
Posted: 3/20/2009 8:24:59 PM
from post # 360

There is only one country musician...Johnny Cash. Other than that? They are all pop-star wannabees. I absolutely hate country music as it sounds all the damn same....and I also agree with the poster about Shania...her music is pure pop all she did was throw on some boots!!

That's it.....just Johnny ?

What about Allan Jackson, Brad Paisley, Alabama, George Strait, Brooks & Dunn ..............they all sound the same ?
I was impressed when George won a bunch more awards this past year.....I forget but did that include Album of the year ?
George also holds sellout and attendance records in a number of cities and the most #1 hits by any singer.

I agree about Shania.......and it's been a while since I really liked a female country singer.......mind you she is'nt hard to look at.

Anybody remember Tanya Tucker or Highway 101 ?
 LoneStranger1

House Renovation
Posted: 3/20/2009 7:48:06 PM
Like some others already said.....windows first.

How old is the house and what kind of exterior finish is on it now ?
How thick are the walls if you need a liner ?
What kind of windows are you getting & do you know the differences ?
Are you installing the new windows aprilrain ?

Gienow has a large window plant right in Calgary, a salesman gave me a tour of it once......they make a good window.
Maybe call them if your looking for a recommended installer.
 lonestranger1
Msg: 20 (view)

Hunter or the hunted?
Posted: 2/10/2009 4:59:36 PM
When I was younger I usually did the chasing but now I'm more confident.......I just relax, lean back and see what happens. I like it when the woman makes the introduction and if I like her I'll take the lead from there.
I think this actually works better than before when I was doing the chasing.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 22 (view)

January Blues
Posted: 1/21/2009 8:39:57 AM
I guess you could look at it as the time of year where you feel down so you appreciate it more when spring finally arrives.
This is always the slowest, most boring time of the year for me, the Okanagan valley has been socked in with low cloud for a couple weeks......woke up to a light, freezing drizzle this morning.
I think I should head to Mexico or Cuba with my kids.
Maybe try that lamp like tornado1 suggested.

But it's also a time for reflection and making plans for the year to come.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 24 (view)

Palin attacks media
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:22:32 AM
I honestly can't imagine the pressure Palin and other politicians are under in that sort of spotlight. From personal experience I often have had 'brain-farts' trying to spit out the correct answer, that I know, when the spotlight is on.

Your not running for VP of the United States.
Palin was the Republican choice for Vice President of the United States and if she & McCain won could quite possibly become president.
I don't think Palin is stupid because she is good at stirring up emotions in a rally and at deflecting questions into her pre-rehearsed, meaningless jargon.
However......
That debate between Joe Biden and Sarah Palin told the story......who would you rather have making important decisions regarding America and the World.
Someone who knows the issues in detail and cared about them
or someone who is good at winking at the camera.

I think anybody who aspires to the top of their field should be very, very knowledgable and competent at it and that should include the world's largest corporation....the U.S.A.
The U.S. can't afford another leader who most important qaulification is being "folksy" rather than knowledge and competence.
America may never recover from the Bush legacy and there is a real chance that it could go bankrupt.
George Bush is at least consistant, he ran every company he ever took control of into the ground and staying true to form he's now done it to the world's largest corporation.

Ronald Reagan also increased the U.S. debt although nothing like Bush has done.
But under Reagan America got something back in return, they won the Cold War and America's confidence and reputation was restored around the world.
And it set up the U.S. for it's most prosperous time ever....the 90's under Clinton.

Presidents do make a difference, they are the nation's leader and when that leadership is lacking the whole country.......and much of the world suffers.

If Barack Obama is not one of the best U.S. presidents ever then America will be in serious trouble.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 17 (view)

The Bum pinch... so whats the rule?
Posted: 1/17/2009 8:43:02 AM
The rule is ........that there are two completely different sets of rules.
one for men and the other for women.

Even though I've had my bum pinched many times usually by a woman I've never met, I can't just start doing the same thing.
If I pinch the waitress's bum, no matter how cute I think it is......I'll get cut off.
If I pinch some other gal's bum I'll probably get slapped or maybe even a fight.

With women they'll usually be in packs when they spot their victim.......lol, I don't mind.......it's all in fun anyways. I imagine one day it won't happen again and then I'll miss the days when I was younger.
Now if a woman that's all by herself does it not only is she very brave but also probably not shy.

So the rules for bum pinching are'nt fair at all.........lol.
 LoneStranger1

Palin attacks media
Posted: 1/16/2009 7:58:13 AM

But after years of hearing how 'evil' Republicans are and then seeing the very same behavior from Democrats my eyes have been opened.

I take it you believe America has had a good government for the past 8 years.
And that George Bush as President has been good for America and it's future.

It's obvious a lot of Americans believe that cause they did vote him in a second term.
and if he was able to run again I bet he would have still recieved at least a third of the vote.
And in a democracy you have a right to vote for whom ever you wish.

My own preference is to have someone smarter than me running the country......but that's just me and everyone has their own ideas on what's important when it comes to who's making the important decisions for your country.

Myself, it was painful to watch Sarah Palin try to answer what to me seemed like easy questions.
Questions that if I was running for the 2nd highest office in the land I would have been able to ace without hesitation.
But that's just me and what I think is important in a leader.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 13 (view)

Updating Profile... what gives???
Posted: 1/15/2009 11:19:35 AM
I ran into the same thing too Starfire........a couple days ago.

I went to a lot of trouble, search deep inside my self about what I wanted to say and then when I went to update with my new description it blocked me and said.....

"are you trying to be funny!! Please enter a proper description"

I thought WTF......this must be some kinda practical joke, but how could someone do that here ?
And the ironic thing is in my old description I was trying to be funny or maybe I was just bored cause it was all about mud....that's all I talked about and POF never said a word about that.
After several tries I was able to change my profile from everything you ever wanted to know about mud..... to the real me.....lol.
And afterwards I thought it was funny but some are more sensitive about themselves and their feelings than me and won't find that message funny.
 LoneStranger1

Tax payers repeatedly bailing out for flood damage
Posted: 1/15/2009 7:40:59 AM
I think any disaster like flooding that historically happens more than once every hundred years is a forseable event that the effected homeowner, not the taxpayer should take financial responsibility for.
Now if a river actually changed course like perhaps the Vedder in Chilliwack then that would be a disaster that could'nt be foreseen and should recieve government help.
But then the Fraser a long time ago used to run south of Sumas mountain.......not north.

The danger of flooding can be reduced or often even eliminated with proper planning.
The best place for that to start is with the city planning/development and the land developer, the next best place is with a builder who can aviod a lot of flooding problems with proper elevation and drainage of the home.
Sadly this often does not happen and building codes usually don't cover this type of problem because it can vary from site to site.

Only a very pro-active city building/development department and/or a developer/builder that knows what their doing and care about this type of problem can prevent it from becoming a problem years down the road.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 14 (view)

Palin attacks media
Posted: 1/13/2009 8:28:08 AM
Sarah Palin loves media attention, anything that makes her the center of attention.
And she's very good at it.......the only problem is when someone asks her a question about a topic that requires a knowledgable response.
She uses rehearsed talking points because I think Sarah simply is not interested in the details about any topic that would concern the White House or most Americans.
She got away with it in Alaska for a few years because of her personality, it's far less demanding and she did'nt attract national attention.
There are many, many people in Alaska that know the Oil and Energy business far better than Palin and yet she is the self proclaimed expert from Alaska and she was going to bring that expertise to Washington and "shake thing up".
She could'nt even get the basic facts straight when it came to energy & Alaska.

And the list goes on and on.
Hockey moms from Alaska that knew Palin have a website (can't recall what it's name is) where they denounce Palin saying she was definately not a serious hockey mom.....she just had a son who happened to play hockey for a couple years.
However, she is good at vendetta's, just ask anyone in Alaska who got in her way or even disagreed with her on something.
Including that state trooper who married Sarah's sister and then made the mistake of divorcing her.

I think thats what McCains team found out in the final couple weeks of the election and we all started hearing about from the media after he lost.

Can you imagine what would have happened if McCain had won and then could'nt complete his term as President.
Just having Pitbull Palin there in the White House with him would make a lot of Americans nervous and I think him picking Sarah as his VP says a lot about his judgement.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 21 (view)

Have you ever been Lost?
Posted: 1/8/2009 8:51:41 AM
A couple times (briefly) in the mountains when it was snowing.

The last time about 5 or 6 years ago a buddy and I were hunting next to the Rockies northwest of Rocky Mountain House in Alberta in November.
We were tracking some deer a couple miles from the landing were I parked and we split up, I was upwind hearding them downwind around a hill while Eric went around the other side of the hill to wait.
Soon afterward a dense fog started rolling in, it was less than an hour from dusk and I was the closest to the trail we walked in on.
I knew I'd soon be unable to find where I walked in or even where I was and did'nt like the idea of spending the night alone, in the Rockies, in the snow and many miles from the nearest logging road.
And Eric was even farther in from me.
So I forgot about that buck.
I had to find my way back to the main trail fast and then the landing by dark and then guide Eric in. It was close cause I was just barely able to recognise that trail but I made it back to the truck, pointed it in the direction I knew Eric was, turned on the high beams and fired my rifle in that direction and then honked the horn.
He walked out a little while later.
The thing is before your actually lost there's a period of time where your in danger of getting lost but still have a chance to find your way. You have to keep thinking and try to maintain your bearings, a landmark......anything that you can use to keep you going in the right direction.
Panicking will make certain your lost and helpless untill others rescue you.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 52 (view)

Dressing up dogs! Pure silliness?
Posted: 12/8/2008 7:01:25 AM
One Christmas I put antlers on my brother's black lab.

Sometimes with my dog I'd put a blanket or something on him when I'm kidding around.......he'd just look at me like he's wondering what the hell I'm doing.

I think larger (real) dogs don't like being dressed up, but it sometimes can make for a hilarious photo.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 1 (view)

John Lennon & Christmas
Posted: 12/2/2008 11:07:38 PM
It's funny how someone who in some ways spoke out against religion ( among many other things ) because of the violence he saw it trigger in some parts of the world, would have some of his best known songs become part of Christmas.
Two of those being "Happy Christmas" (so this is Christmas)......an anti Vietnam war song and of coarse "Imagine"

Soon it will be the 28th aniversary of his death......he was shot on December 8th, 1980 in New York City.
I'll never forget that day 28 years ago, along with maybe 2 or 3 other events including 9/11.
But he was only one man, a member of the Beatles.

So why to this day does it still effect me when I think about it ?
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 9 (view)

quiet intelligence?
Posted: 11/30/2008 5:17:22 PM

Better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you're stupid, than to open it and remove all doubt.

Damn........you beat me to it.
 LoneStranger1

bombay terrorists from my home town
Posted: 11/30/2008 12:39:51 PM
Tell me what to do as a Muslim living in America? I can't reason with the extremist for sure. I will be labled as a heretic right away.

I sympathise with moderate Muslims that are unfairly associated with the violent & oppressive actions by others within Islam.
I believe as someone with independant thought that if you do not agree with or wish to be associated with a certain group, church or even religion that you can always leave.

One of my brothers left his religous faith because he could'nt accept everything he was being told to believe.
Another joined a christian church and has improved his life.
We as a free people can join or leave a religion or church any time we choose without fear ( in all but the most extreme situations ).
and it happens all the time in the west.
I think this is very important if you are to have a tolerant and inclusive faith.

So, what happens to a Muslim if he/she leaves the Islamic faith,
or speaks out against it.
in the west ?
in Iran or Pakistan ?
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 54 (view)

Should I get a cat ?
Posted: 11/27/2008 9:38:51 AM
No, you can't get a cat.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 69 (view)

Online Dating Vs Offline Dating?
Posted: 11/26/2008 8:41:50 PM
Online and Offline dating are completetly different and I like both.

Online dating has made it much easier to meet people but has it's drawbacks...... it not very personable and it's only as honest and real as the person on the other end.
I think many would be more successfull if they are realistic about who their looking for and about themselves.
And know when to leave online dating, making here or any dating service the center of your social life and that's all you'll have.
I can only do a few weeks at a time and one day ( soon ? ) won't be here anymore.

Offline dating ( I call it the real world ) is not as productive but more meaningfull.
You get a lot better picture of what a person is like when you meet in the real world as opposed to meeting online.
And a much better idea if there's attraction before any introduction.

And trust is a funny thing, should you be suspicious of everybody you come in contact with online ?
Or do you use your intuition and take a chance with someone that's willing to take a chance with you ?
Ask a woman what she trusts more........meeting a man online vs meeting him in a bar, he could easily be the same guy and there's lots of stereotypes about both.
He could also be the same guy you meet at the supermarket, the park or even at McDonald's with the kids.
And the same goes for women.
So I tend to ignore stereotypes.

A lady did an excellent post on the 1st page , #23......smarter-than-ever.

Bottom line, you won't get anywhere if you don't take a chance.....just make sure it feels right.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 127 (view)

why are some people on here for years?
Posted: 11/26/2008 7:23:13 AM
Maybe all those that are relationship material are in relationships and the rejects end up in a place that keeps them all in one spot......lol.

hm! Just wondering...can one catch more than fish?

Depending on what your fishing for I believe there's a daily limit, anybody know what it is...........I did'nt read the regulations and don't have a fishing licence.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 42 (view)

Did you, or can you have a good relationship with a narcissist?
Posted: 11/25/2008 2:39:59 PM
Here's a song for ya

It's Hard to be Humble

Oh Lord it's hard to be humble
when your perfect in every way.
I can't wait to look in the mirror
cause I get better looking each day.
To know me is to love me
I must be a hell of a man.
But I'm doing the best that I can.

I used to have a girlfriend
but she just could'nt compete
with all these love starved women
who keep clamoring at my feet.
Well I probably could find me another
but I guess they're all in awe of me.
Who cares, I never get lonesome
cause I treasure my own company.

when your perfect in every way,
To know me is to love me
But I'm doing the best that I can.

I guess you could say I'm a loner,
a cowboy outlaw tough and proud.
I could have lots of friends if I want to
but then I would'nt stand out from the crowd.
Some folks say I'm egotistical
Hell, I don't even know what that means.
I guess it has something to do with the way that
I fill out my skin tight blue jeans.

when your perfect in every way.
To know me is to love me
but I'm doing the best that I can.
We're doing the best that we can.

Lol, could'nt resist sharing that with everybody
Wonder if the guy who wrote that song had this kind of problem.......lol

Mac Davis sang the song by the way.

That song is probably describing a narcissist, but I never thought about it when I first heard it many years ago.
I always laughed at that song cause it sounds so ridiculous.
but I guess to somebody who is close to someone like this it's very real.

LoneStranger1
Msg: 11 (view)

Made In China
Posted: 11/24/2008 8:42:01 PM
If I can I try to buy stuff that is not made in China, but that's very, very difficult these days.
I hope that changes.

But I did make one large purchase in the last 3 years and it's hand built right here in Canada.
My PSB Gold i speakers.

and they still make trucks here......right ?

lets close the imports and make our own again - we will be healthier for it
lets start with "Fresh Food" and support our local farmers
especially our Chicken & Pig farmers

Our provincial government made that a little harder a while back.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 2 (view)

Home Theater Question
Posted: 11/23/2008 7:27:01 AM
You've done pretty good curls.
Most cd and dvd players last only a few years, if cleaning does'nt help then it's time to get a new one.
And dvd players will also play music cd's.
There cheap anyways with many under $100 and not worth repairing.
But you get what you pay for.

I've bought 3 over the last 9 or 10 years.......got tired of it and bought a much more expensive one this past year.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 122 (view)

do men actually like curvy women vs the skinny pencil one?
Posted: 11/22/2008 9:19:33 PM
This is a double standard if I ever saw one.

I take it the OP is actually refering to overweight women as being "curvy" and slender women being "skinny pencils"

I wonder how long a thread would last here if it refered to overwieght women in a similar derogatory manner......a day, an hour ?

And if someone described to me a person that's "skinny as a pencil" I would picture images similar to death camp survivors........not an attractive picture.

We all come in different shapes and sizes and a lot more of us would like to lose some extra lbs. than would admit here.
And I have my own opinion of what a womans curve's are and what they are'nt.

When you Love someone all this doesn't matter!

That's what's most important.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 54 (view)

Why Do Guys Try To Pick Up Their Servers???
Posted: 11/22/2008 7:56:37 AM
Regarding the guy in the OP, he showed no class.....maybe he was drunk. Just ignore something like that.
But people meet their future sweetie in all kinds of places including when their working, it was one of the best ways before internet dating.
Maybe it still is.
Two past relationships where women I met when they were waitressing.
Another one kept coming to see me when I was working on a construction site.

You just never know who could be there around the next corner.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 7 (view)

What is the best experience you have had with online dating
Posted: 11/20/2008 4:58:04 PM
There's been a few but the best is when you meet someone, start talking and time just dissapears. Next thing you know several hours have passed and we wished the evening did'nt go by so fast.

It's happened 4 or 5 times in 4 years for me with 3 relationships.
and I'm still friends with all 3.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 36 (view)

Contractors and Cash Deposits
Posted: 11/16/2008 4:18:54 PM
That's a Business Issue. As in the example above in the OP, that Person came recommended, but still tried to hose the Owner, ie. even those with a supposedly good Reputation do it. And yes, not taking a Deposit until you start the Work does increase your Chances of a Sale, seen it often enough. In Fact I position my Sales Angle in respect to other Contractors, which often knocks them out of that Bid.

and

I caution the Client to never (Circumstances permitting, as per the OP of this Thread) give any Money down as some Contractors have financial Problems and may not show up, perhaps 10%. The Client calls you up, you refuse to proceed without a Downpayment ahead of Time, that's the Way I kick your Hiny out of that Job.

I think you and I can agree to disagree on deposits and were not even sure what it is that you do.......Ticketoride.
Yes, some customers are attracted to a low price or not having to put down a deposit........I don't use that sales angle......any angle actually.
I welcome competition, I win contracts because of what I know.......the customer can ask any question about their project and I have the answer. That projects confidence which means a lot to most people and my references back that up.
There have been times where I'm the highest bidder.....including the last project I completed and on some very complex jobs there is no one else that can do it......successfully.

Let's be clear here, if there are no permits, plans, engineers or other professionals involved in a job and incurring costs before construction actually begins then yes......deposits are'nt usually required till material is onsite and construction begins.
But then again most of the best contractors and general contractors are booked months and even over a year in advance and will only book your project with a signed contract including a deposit.......but of coarse their welcome to go elsewhere if it's that important to find a contractor that will start a project with no deposit.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 33 (view)

Posted: 11/16/2008 8:37:09 AM
Yes......SingleGuy is right.

The Canadian Home Builders Association is the best source for everything being discussed here.
The sample contract they provide covers everything including allowance for a deposit when the contract is signed.

Something should be clarified and that's the difference between a sub-contractor/trade/subtrade ..... and a general contractor.
Electricians, framers, drywallers, plumbers, carpenters, roofers etc, etc ........are all subtrades that can either work directly for the homeowner or for a general contractor.
Small and/or simple jobs usually require just one or two trades and/or a renovation contractor.
A renovation contractor needs to have skills in a wide variety of tasks because many of the tasks home renovations require are too small to call in a specialized trade(especially if their very busy)........framing and drywall are good examples.
The skills of various renovation contractors can vary from very good to very poor..........be careful, get references.

A general contractor should have extensive experience in all types of home improvement and construction. The best general contractors have been renovation contractors and/or skilled in at least one or two trades and very knowledgeable in all the other trades and building codes.
A good general contractor should be a wealth of knowledge and with a solid team of professional trades and suppliers to back that up that he knows he can rely on.

A good general contractor takes full responsibilty for every aspect of the job and takes care of everything including permits, every permit I take out I make sure the homeowner signs an owners undertaking that makes me their agent for this project........basically meaning that as far as the local building authorities are concerned, I'm taking full responsibility for the project and not the homeowner.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 31 (view)

Posted: 11/15/2008 9:46:01 PM

What's he gonna don't if you don't? You haven't defaulted on your End of the Bargain. You go to Court, you collect ... every red Dime !!!

The want to f*ck around, they pay for it.

So, you win in court and the court orders the customer to pay but the customer can still refuse to pay knowing that he could drag this out for years. A lien against the home does'nt gaurantee anything unless the homeowner someday wants to sell.
Situations like this are rare but can happen.

Your not a contractor Ticketoride, any experienced contractor knows exactly what I'm talking about. Fortunately most customers are really good and appreciate the job I'm doing for them. I always throw in something extra if they have been a good customer.
A good contractor with a solid reputation does'nt worry about the competition, people come to him because of that reputation he's built up.
I will not start a job without a deposit.....it's as simple as that.
And the job starts the day after the contract signing when I begin the planning and preperation.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 29 (view)

Posted: 11/15/2008 8:32:34 PM
So, never give any Contractor any Money ahead of Time, unless they are for Custom-Made Items. Those Contractors who won't go for that ... f*ck'm, find somebody else. There are obviously Exceptions to the Rule based on Circumstances, but most Retrofit Work doesn't require Payment ahead of Time.

If your talking about small, handyman type jobs that do not require a building permit then yes.....don't pay in advance.
If however your talking larger jobs that require a building permit which means they also need plans and often the services of architects, engineers etc. and all of the scheduling that goes with it then a contractor would be a fool if he did'nt get a deposit at the time of contract signing.

Do you work for free Ticketoride ?
Then why should a contractor go to all the expense prior to the start of the project when the customer could change their mind thinking that no work has been done so the contractor should'nt recieve any money.
And customers do change their minds and some people if given the chance will take advantage of a contractor.
For every crooked contractor there is also a crooked customer.
I've seen it all.........a customer who you have a contract price with who wants to know your materials list and from there they can figure out costs and the next thing you know your more than halfway through a job and the customer wants to renegotiate the price downwards before he gives you the next draw because he thinks your making too much money.
So what do you do......shut the job down and take the customer to court ?
I don't know about some people but I don't make any money taking homeowners to court and that's why I do what I do.......to make money.

Contractors have to be very careful about how they protect themselves from some unreasonable and unscrupulous customers.
Be fair, be honest.....do the job your contracted to do but be careful, most contractors including myself have learned this the hard way.

And be in control........a contractor who allows the homeowner to become involved in the project (other than the typical choices a customer has to make) is on a one way ticket to trouble.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 25 (view)

Posted: 11/15/2008 1:46:43 PM
Professional contractors operate on a 30-day line of credit. If a contractor tells you he needs a deposit before he will start work, it's a sure bet that he will use your money to pay off sub-trades and suppliers from his last job. Caveat emptor!

He may say he needs the money to buy materials for your project. (A pallet of brick, for example.) Again, a pro is being invoiced on a 30 day basis by his supplier. If he can't get credit from his supplier, it's because he's a cowboy, maybe someone who's burned a supplier in the past. You, the Owner, need pay a Contractor for materials only after the Contractor has paid his supplier and delivered the materials to the place of the work, where they become your property.

Sounds like you know some shady contractors .......Palomar
I did'nt know that those type of contractors are "cowboys", thanks for clarifying that...........lol.

A good contractor is usually very busy and does not operate like the above statement.
If a customer wishes to have a detailed materials list and own the materials that are delivered by the contractor then it's no longer contracting to a qouted price, it's called "cost plus" where there is no contracted price and the customer pays based on the cost of subtrades, workers and materials plus the contractor's markup.

Any materials I have delivered to any job belong to me and are to be used for the job contracted.
I often have extra and then the materials left are moved to the next job

A good, established contractor will have a reputation and takes pride in that reputation.
You can check him out by contacting references, trades and suppliers he uses.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 24 (view)

Posted: 11/15/2008 1:18:08 PM
If this contractor made a mistake and qouted the job too low and needs to change the price then the proper thing to do is cancel the contract, refund the entire deposit and then go back to the customer, explain why and then renegotiate a different contract.

Always have a contract, it should spell out exactly the work being done and the payment schedule. It protects the customer and the contractor.

I do large jobs and always recieve a deposit when the contract is signed, usually 10% - 15%. If the customer later cancels the contract I may only return part or perhaps none of the deposit, every job has to be scheduled, plans drawn up, permits applied for, trades, suppliers and workers lined up and ready to begin at the expected starting date.
To suddenly have the job cancelled is very disruptive and costly to the contractor.
 LoneStranger1
Msg: 36 (view)

A Bigfoot corpse discovered ?
Posted: 11/11/2008 11:37:40 PM
So I have'nt heard anything about that Bigfoot those two guys in Georgia have in the deepfreeze for over two months now.
I'm assuming that in itself probably means it was just another hoax.

Anybody know for sure..............MG ?

Show ALL Forums