Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: I want my male friend to stay with me for a weekend but my boyfriend wont have it!
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 318 (view)

I want my male friend to stay with me for a weekend but my boyfriend wont have it!
Posted: 9/15/2008 1:02:06 PM
And yes if it was the other way around i dont think i would be too happy which is why i do understand what he means.

Quoted from the original post...

Treat others as you'd like to be treated.
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 146 (view)

Men who avoid attractive women??
Posted: 9/10/2008 12:34:43 PM
I'm with Comeer on this one....

A woman can be attractive or even hot....but when you spend time with her and get to know her, she either gets more attractive or less attractive.

In my personal experience, the hotness factor wears off rather quick. One gets used to seeing the same person's physique over time....it's the personality, her laugh, the way she talks to you, the way she treats you, etc. that keeps you attracted.
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 299 (view)

I want my male friend to stay with me for a weekend but my boyfriend wont have it!
Posted: 9/7/2008 6:47:06 PM
I ran this scenario by my mom the other day...for what it's worth, she said "stop exagerrating, that would never happen"....lol. I thought it was funny, but it goes to show how times have changed.
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 44 (view)

Why do people want to commit after one date?
Posted: 8/15/2008 8:36:51 AM

Thank janet4ever for your good comment here. Yes, I agree with you, if two people have a strong interested in each other in relation to their similar chemistry level/same taste, then they do not need to continuing looking for another person or going to meet up with them.

This is what I thought the OP meant by exclusive. Just dating the one person not 3 or 4 others. But reading the posts exclusive means all kinds of things to different people--sex/ marriage/ no more internet

I just thought it meant getting to know one person at a time--simple me

Ditto.
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 27 (view)

From one relationship to another
Posted: 8/14/2008 3:50:58 PM
Maybe it's because they are more positive than the bunch of yahoos (not all) who posted in this thread...lol.

I find it rather sad how people focus on the negative in this thread.

To me 4 or 5 months of being single after a breakup seems long enough. Now as to why they seem to find "nice men" to be with (as the op said)....well, maybe they are attractive, maybe they only need a few months to clean up their baggage, maybe they are really nice people, maybe they are "good women" and men see it and ask them out....i could go on forever.

Or it could be all that needy pathetic stuff you guys said :p
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 28 (view)

Posted: 8/13/2008 8:40:39 AM
Ok, reading the last few posts, i had to go back and re-read the original one. And, well, it's vague...

It doesn't state what she really means by exclusive....i was assuming she was on here to set up (and went on) other dates and the dude got that she wasn't into him.

But it doesn't say that anywhere....so i'm wondering what the original poster means?

If the dude sees her once and says you have to take down your profile for good, then yeah, a bit nuts. But if she's on the next few days and trying to meet other dudes....it's well within her rights, but i just don't think the first dude would feel she's interested in him. And in my personal experience, he'd be making the right call.

So long as she's honest as to why she's on here, it's all good...let him make his choices.
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 11 (view)

Posted: 8/12/2008 9:44:42 PM
maybe they just aren't a multi-dater...or into multi-daters?
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 5 (view)

Posted: 8/12/2008 8:58:07 PM
If i went on a date, then the woman was on here again....kind of shows me she's not all that into me.

So i could either keep dating her and hope to get something out of it in the short term or not see her again and look for long term potential.
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 127 (view)

Will this fix itself?
Posted: 8/11/2008 10:45:20 AM
I'm just waiting to hear what her beau says next time she says "but he's just a friend"....lol.
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 37 (view)

She went away, had sex, and now is back...
Posted: 8/10/2008 7:50:44 PM
There are plenty of factors at play here. You have to "live" the situation to answer this question. Who initiated the breakup, who slept with someone, who didn't? How long were they broken up? ...etc.

If it happened all within a short period of time, I personally couldn't think of a reason to take back someone after such events happen.
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 18 (view)

Judging by a picture and getting to know someone
Posted: 8/9/2008 8:22:59 PM
Ok, stupid comment follows....lol.

I personally wouldn't make a big deal of it. It would bother me, yes, but i know my pics are never good. Not to say i'm Brad Pitt, but i very seldom look good in pictures....only when they surprise me.

I might add....looking at women's profiles on POF, some have a bunch of pics in which they look quite different from one to the next.
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 32 (view)

Is it ok for a person with a S/O to flirt with others ?
Posted: 8/9/2008 5:49:54 PM
Lol...i was just looking up the definition in the dictionary before buddy posted it a few back.

I also looked up the definition of "jealous" as it is a word being thrown around quite a bit in these forums. I think some people might want to look it up before using the word again...i was slightly surprised.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. One thing i can say for sure....tolerance...i think people have different levels of tolerance, but i know of very few people who take enjoyment or pleasure from seeing their partner flirt.

Cheers!
 SeafoodLover

Sexual Toys Only
Posted: 8/9/2008 4:09:02 PM
Am i missing something? Questions posted makes it seem like she's having fun and he's not getting any...lol.

Doesn't sound like much fun to me.
 SeafoodLover

Posted: 8/9/2008 12:48:28 PM
Hmmm...very interesting topic indeed. Alot of variety in the posts. I think it's hard to answer this question in unison, because we probably don't all have the same EXACT definition of what "flirting" is.

I guess i have a few rules i TRY and follow when it comes to flirting. (1) Treat others as you'd like to be treated and (2) would my actions be the same if my SO was standing next to me.

That being said, i would NEVER choose any type of flirting with another woman over my SO. Do i really need to flirt with this other woman?

I read a mention of personality disorder and a rebuttal a few posts above. Although i think "disorder" is a too strong of a word, i recently came across something (in real life) that touches on this subject.

To shorten this story considerably, i met a woman who pretty much told me her therapist said she should stop the flirting if she wants to keep a serious relationship in her life.
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 24 (view)

Posted: 8/7/2008 1:56:01 PM
^^^^you do not need to flirt with a real live person in order to bring it home. One can use one's imagination without having to disrespect his/her SO...lol.

Again, this is boundaries...and that's way over mine.
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 48 (view)

It's the little things...
Posted: 8/7/2008 11:18:18 AM
Have you ever thought that they don't want to seem as coming off to strong and scaring the woman away. Sometimes it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

It's not easy to get what a woman wants, they all act differently. Some will seem like they are in love on the first date, then cool off in a few days...others seem cold all the time....others seem lovey-dovey after a month or so. You never know!
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 22 (view)

Posted: 8/7/2008 11:07:14 AM
Yes, it's all about boundaries....and we all have different ones. The problem is usually the one of confrontation and wanting to do what WE want instead of pleasing the one we love (which usually means we don't really love them all that much). I have things i can tolerate, others that make me uncomfortable. If i make my feelings known and my SO goes ahead and does it anyway....kinda tells me just where i stand with her. Not much of a SO if you ask me.

Just an FYI for those who mentioned strippers. Some strip joints in Canada let you touch the stripper everywhere but "there". Does that change your comfort level any? lol ;)
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 17 (view)

Posted: 8/6/2008 8:33:43 PM
I love to flirt with women.

But like someone else here said, not when i'm involved. She's the only one i'd be flirting with :)
 SeafoodLover

When beginning dating, how often should we see each other??
Posted: 8/4/2008 9:06:44 PM
I can't believe this question is even asked!!!

How many times should i see my new bf per week? Wtf...lol.
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 138 (view)

Is it ok for your GF to hang out with Ex boyfriends?
Posted: 8/2/2008 9:35:59 PM
I think i'd have a hard time earning a new girlfriend's trust if i'm hanging out with ex's or other woman all the time....and i wouldn't blame them for dumping my ass.

I don't recall who said it, but i'm in the same boat....i have broken off with SOME ex's amicably and i do consider them friend's and talk to them when our paths cross....but i don't "hang out" with them.

I like to start off with a clean slate. I would never get into a "serious" relationship with a woman where i have to ask myself "where do i fit in with all these dudes around"....maybe just a casual one ;) Life's to short.

I look at it this way...let's assume if you're gf eats a piece of cake it will kill you. If you had to choose, would you pick the woman who stops at the bakery everyday, or the one who doesn't....lol.
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 106 (view)

Is it ok for your GF to hang out with Ex boyfriends?
Posted: 7/31/2008 11:32:16 PM

Sorry, it appears I'm in the minority here.

No disrespect bud, but that says it all right there. Everybody's different, but based on the HAPPILY married people i know, i would agree with your above statement.

I'll add to me earlier post by saying this....having close friends of the opposite sex (more so an ex) makes it VERY hard to create a strong bond in a new relationship. UNLESS these people backoff for a good while and let you get that relationship going.
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 20 (view)

Ax the ex, get past the past...and why not??
Posted: 7/30/2008 9:27:15 PM
I always get a kick out of reading this subject...."friend" with an ex, or of the opposite sex. It always makes for an interesting conversation.

I think there's a few factor's here that people DO consider, but we all have different definitions for them.

The first one is the term "friends". This word's meaning can vary widely for each individual.

The two extremes might be:
(1) You can be civil/friendly with an ex
(2) your new gf can call you to make plans for the weekend and you tell her "i can't...i'm going to the cottage with my ex".

Then there's the actual new "relationship". We are all probably assuming one thing....that both parties are looking for "the one" or at least potentially. When in fact, they might not be.

In my own personal experiences and observations, the women i have met who have kept a lot of dudes around and/or exes aren't usually ready to settle down with the new dude they've met. Which is why i've moved on.

Often times, someone will say they are "friend's" with such and such, when in fact i would call them more of an acquaintance. Again, it all depends what people consider "friend's" to be.
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 25 (view)

Bellydancing
Posted: 7/29/2008 7:41:33 PM
I'd probably ask my gf WHY all of a sudden she wants to learn it. But that's out of curiosity or small talk. I would also ask if i'm allowed to sit in the corner and watch

I know plenty of girls who've taken those classes. Maybe i'm missing something here, but why do you people think her bf is being jealous? What the hell would he be jealous of?

Cheers!
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 13 (view)

past friends. How close is too close?
Posted: 7/29/2008 7:15:07 PM
Ok, a dude's answer here. I'm only getting the OP's side of the story, but if it's completely accurate....this guy needs a talking to.

If his woman "friend" was only wanting to be a "friend" then she definitely wouldn't have reacted as such when he asked for a bit of space.

I think the writing on the wall is pretty clear here....no need to give ultimatum's, but state your case lovingly and politely and if the dude is into you, there should be a positive response.

On the other hand, i suspect there's more going on for both your beau and his female friend than meets the eye...or at least it seems to be leading that way.

Good luck!
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 18 (view)

If a woman proposes and the man accepts. Is it a legal binding contract
Posted: 7/24/2008 9:08:49 PM
Well, if it is a contract....shouldn't it just be a contract to be engaged, and not necessarily to be married?

It seems to me like this whole VERBAL agreement thing could be used for anything. Anytime someone reneges on a promise or lies, one could be sued.

There has to be more to it than that.
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 21 (view)

Barriers for men
Posted: 7/23/2008 6:51:04 PM
I think a lot of this stuff is hogwash. Some of it just doesn't make sense to me.

For starters, if i own a business, i pretty much want to make money. Which means i hire the best person for the job. How much do i pay them, that probably is supply and demand and how good they are.

I wonder....if a job group (nurse, engineer, etc.) is dominated by a certain gender, could it be that this gender is more attracted to this type of work?
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 21 (view)

Men, Cheating And Hurt???
Posted: 7/23/2008 6:20:49 PM

Dude, just a tip. Get rid of the picture with the scratched out girlfriend's face from your profile. It comes off as scary.

You're the first one who's mentioned it. Thanks, but if i need tips, i'll ask.

FYI, it's none of your business, but it's not a girlfriend.
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 16 (view)

Men, Cheating And Hurt???
Posted: 7/22/2008 8:30:11 PM
Sorry OP, i have to disagree with your original post. You're making generalizations that i just can't agree with?

Women don't always need an emotional attachment for sex. Not in this day and age. I would actually say that, the younger the woman, the more this is false.

I'm not saying that's it's a good thing, but it's been my observation in the last years. I would have to say that i probably get more sex only offers than legit relationship offers. So at the very least, your generalizations aren't accurate where i am.

And to those waiting to flame me, i never said i had 20 hotties waiting to nail me....if so i wouldn't be here :p
 SeafoodLover

The other guy looks better
Posted: 7/22/2008 8:20:10 PM
I can just imagine the replies i'd get for asking this from a woman in here...lol.
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 26 (view)

Is it ok to ask for your wedding ring back after divorce?
Posted: 7/18/2008 11:14:48 PM
Well, if my grandmother gave me a ring that has been in our family for over 100 years....i would think it should stay in our family. But that's just my feeling/opinion.

I can only add that i would never keep such a ring that someone gave me if the situation were reversed....i wouldn't feel right about it.

Whether it's my "right" to keep the ring or not, it's better to do the right thing sometimes.

Either way, i don't think this is what the OP is talking about.
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 25 (view)

Is it ok to ask for your wedding ring back after divorce?
Posted: 7/18/2008 10:55:47 PM
The one thing i can say with certainty is that if the ring is a family hairloom (sp?) then it should be given back no questions asked....otherwise, to each their own opinions.
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 198 (view)

Posted: 7/18/2008 10:49:49 PM
Lol...funny how nobody replied to my last post ;)

For those of you labeling this dude as insecure....how many of you would be comfortable with them sharing a bed? ....shouldn't be a problem if they truly are only friends!
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 195 (view)

Posted: 7/18/2008 11:03:36 AM
If they are really good friend's, she shouldn't force him to sleep on the couch. Assuming she has a big enough bed, why make the dude get a back ache....if they are really only friends, there shouldn't be a problem right ;)
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 65 (view)

Girls having guy friends
Posted: 7/17/2008 8:27:46 PM
I just remembered a Bill Cosby Show episode....the one where he talks about some dude's favorite food. The guy answers STEAK. Cosby says...now take that steak, add a bakes potato, with cheese, sour cream, mushrooms on the steak....yummy right? The dude goes "yeah". Then Cosby says, take that steak mushrooms and baked potato and put it on a trashcan lid and bring it to the table....not so appetizing anymore. The dude goes "no"....lol.

My point is, it's all about the presentation!

Trust is earned, not blindly given. So meeting a partner who has friend's of the opposite sex makes it harder (in the beginning) to let your guard down. How can you blindly trust someone who you just met and who hangs around with friends of the opposite sex all the time. It's up to them to ease you into their circle of friends.

In my experience, i used to have a lot of female friends (hey i was single), but i couldn't keep a girlfriend for a long time. Then one of my girlfriend's told me why...lol. It made sense to me!

I still have female friends, but i would never spend one on one time with them while beginning a NEW relationship...specially if i see long term potential. And my female friends would be very supportive of that!

EDIT: Personally (and this is a generalization) i avoid women who hang around guys a lot. I did it in the past. Just that they tend to be "one of the guys". If i wanted that in a relationship, i'd date a dude...lol. Personality wise, they're usually not my type either. But exceptions to every rule right ;)
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 170 (view)

Posted: 7/17/2008 3:48:22 PM
"not allowed" were her words in this forum i think....is this what HE really said? Based on the rest of her original message, i doubt those would be his exact words, but what do i know.

If he DID say those words, at most it's a bad choice of words to convey his feelings towards his new fiancee's ridiculous request.

She should not have asked him the question, she should have made alternative arrangements beforehand.
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 163 (view)

Posted: 7/17/2008 2:36:10 PM

A man shouldn’t cow tail to her insecurities…she didn’t seem to have any did she? Or am I missing something… why do you insist on throwing things back at me that don’t exist… the question isn’t about her its about her boyfriend.

In the very first post she mentions that she would not like it if thing were reversed. So if HE is considered "insecure" for not being comfortable with it, then SHE is as well.

A lot of people seem to be taking the "man vs woman" approach here....but i see it more as "single vs not single".

She's not a single woman in university anymore....she's an engaged to be married woman who's trying to build a solid relationship. Is she free, of course, can she do what she wants, of course....but her choices are what make her relationship material or not.

Given a choice, i think most people would prefer not having this go on....even though some would tolerate it.

I didn't see the OP mention the fiancee telling her she can't have male friends anymore, or talk to guys, etc. What he said was "i don't feel comfortable with a dude sleeping over at your place".

I mean wtf? lol
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 122 (view)

Posted: 7/16/2008 10:33:02 AM

Im curious if the friend was a lesbian would he still object ,, just a thought

^^^He would probably want to sleep over too ;)
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 26 (view)

Kids?
Posted: 7/15/2008 8:38:49 PM
It depends what the guy would be looking for.

I have that rule in effect because i'm looking to settle down and start my own family. I also dated a woman with 2 kids before and i wouldn't do it again. I know every woman is different, but i learned enough to know it's not for me.

Good luck!
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 98 (view)

Posted: 7/15/2008 10:24:30 AM
I don't know if this has been asked yet...

If you guys know each other well enough to be engaged, why is it that your fiancee doesn't know this guy already?

If this guy is such a good friend that he's allowed to have sleep overs with you (i'm assuming he did before?), then why hasn't your fiancee met him?
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 92 (view)

Posted: 7/15/2008 9:19:15 AM
I was going to add to my previous comment that this stuff usually happens when people are younger. As people get older and more mature, they get away from the "university mentality"....but my previous post was getting long.

Then someone here mentions the OP is 19.

Usually i would've checked the OP's profile before answering...lol.
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 76 (view)

Posted: 7/15/2008 8:10:49 AM
Is the OP even reading this thread...lol

She said herself that she wouldn't like it if the situation were reversed. So what's the issue here?

There are plenty of options for her male "friend" to come and visit and not have to sleep at her place. I personally would trust her, but still tell her it makes me feel uncomfortable. And seeing how there are a ton of options for having her "friend" visit, then it would open my eyes a bit if she just went ahead and said screw it, he'll sleep at my place.

Those of you stating her fiancee is telling her what to do or making rules....from what i read, he did no such thing. He made his feelings known....which is what most of you women **** about wanting us to do more of.

Right now, it's an awkward situation....in a year from now, they're married, living together, and the dude can sleep over in the spare bedroom with no problem.

I look at SUCCESSFULLY married couples that i know and none of this crap goes on. You have to be considerate of your partner's feelings. It's inappropriate, that's all really.

Why make your partner feel uncomfortable and tolerate such a thing....keeping in mind you might have to later on ;)
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 32 (view)

Posted: 7/14/2008 9:00:38 PM
I was wondering the same thing as a post above!

You have a female roommate and are engaged to a man who lives in another household? I certainly don't fault you for this, although it's a bit unusual these days.

Based on the threads on this site, i see a lot of problems arising with having friends of the opposite sex for both men and women. But that's not important.

Why not just let your friend stay over and you sleep over at your fiancee's? Seems fairly simple and your friend has a bed instead of a couch. Or have him stay at your fiancee's place and your fiancee stays with you.

Or are we missing some information?
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 100 (view)

made a terrible mistake by f&&king these other guys ...
Posted: 7/14/2008 9:20:03 AM
Lol...i think i need a recap of the situation

What i recall is....she dumped him, then 10 months of her sleeping around with 3 different men (one of whom is both their acquaintance), then they get back together ans she keeps her "activities" secret (as well as the STD), then he finds all this out from someone else.

Is this accurate?

My first question is, did you ask him back or was it him who asked you?

Second question, why did you not tell him about you banging his buddy and the STD? I think people deserve to make decisions of the heart (and physical health) based on truth, not deception.

I don't know either of the two people involved here, but i'd never had gotten back with someone in this situation IF i knew the whole story before making my decision. But i don't think he had all this knowledge prior to.
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 34 (view)

He is jealous of my male friend
Posted: 7/13/2008 8:35:54 PM
It sounds to me like your mind was made up before this thread. So why bother posting it?

You asked for POF opinions and it's a resounding "we side with your new beau"...do with that what you wish. Just be honest with the new guy.

And as for your "real friends" advice. It sounds to me like maybe they know you really want to go and are trying to be supportive. It's easy to give that advice when they're not the ones in that situation. If you were asking their advice about him going to spend a few days at his ex's, maybe their advice would change?

Cheers!
 SeafoodLover

He is jealous of my male friend
Posted: 7/12/2008 10:16:39 PM
Sometimes i just can't believe what i read in here...lol.

I guess i can't pretend everyone is the same or has the same values, but this situation seems really ridiculous to me. Who in their right mind would like their "new" loved one saying "see ya later, i'm gonna spend the weekend with my ex lover"....lol.

How often do your mom or dad go spend the weekend at an ex-lover's place?

I don't think i'd ever have the balls to ask a woman i'm seeing if it's ok to go spend the weekend at my ex's.
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 13 (view)

More Pictures?
Posted: 7/12/2008 9:56:02 PM
I second post #9.

I'll add...I've gotten multiple messages from "athletic" body typed women, who really aren't (in my opinion).
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 93 (view)

made a terrible mistake by f&&king these other guys ...
Posted: 7/12/2008 1:48:33 PM

Men dont deal with these things as easy as us women do.

You have to be kidding...lol.
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 12 (view)

Don't want to be rude.
Posted: 7/11/2008 6:18:04 PM
I think there's more to this story than what the OP mentioned. Some stuff just doesn't add up...
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 155 (view)

is flirting harmless?
Posted: 7/10/2008 2:23:12 PM
Glad to see there's still some classy ladies out there

I love to flirt as much s the next person, but i would never do it when involved with someone, whether she's standing next to me or not.
 SeafoodLover
Msg: 171 (view)

How much is enough???
Posted: 7/7/2008 9:08:20 AM
Funny how much discussion can be had for a piece of rock on a piece of metal.

Anyone know the real cost of these things? Or how much one can get for reselling such an item?

Show ALL Forums