Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: How did Bands come by there names!!
 Webstad
Msg: 34 (view)

How did Bands come by there names!!
Posted: 8/7/2008 5:19:47 PM
Alice Cooper came about as a little joke. Vincent Furnier thought it would be funny to give his band an "innocent" title, and have some old lady pick up the album (thinking it was jazz or something), just to discover that it was hard rock. I remember him saying something to that effect in an interview.
 Webstad
Msg: 56 (view)

Most horrid, painful way to die?
Posted: 8/7/2008 4:54:35 PM
I think anything out of the Saw movies would be tops in my books. Anything where you are either being torn apart in full consciousness, or forced to tear yourself apart in panic, knowing that if you fail you will be blown to pieces. Being eaten alive from the inside would be quite painful too.
 Webstad
Msg: 5 (view)

Ghosts - how did the term come to be?
Posted: 7/28/2008 2:30:59 PM
I myself have a fascination for ghosts and the supernatural. However, because I have not experienced either, I do hold a certain skepticism on the matter. I know of many people (including my dad) who say they've seen ghosts, and there are some reasonably convincing video footage of what could undoubtedly be a ghost. However, until I experience this for myself I remain skeptical.

Check this site out for example: http://www.ghostvideos.ws/ . The footage on the main page is certainly interesting and up for debate on whether it's authentic or not.
 Webstad
Msg: 92 (view)

Good Beer...
Posted: 7/28/2008 2:20:38 PM
I'm right into Rickard's; Red, Honey Brown, and the new White Cream Ale. I'm also a fan of Guinness. Alexander Keith's is good too. I'm game for pretty much any dark beer. Mind you, Thirsty Beaver Honey Brown tastes funny.
 Webstad
Msg: 37 (view)

Proof for the existence of God
Posted: 7/28/2008 2:06:36 PM
As much as I hate jumping into these debates, I'm gonna do it anyways. Here's a simple reality: word play doesn't prove anything. Empirical evidence does. "God", according to the bible, does not "live" on our physical earth. Nor does it live anywhere in our physical, measurable universe. Therefore we cannot determine its existence one way or the other. Since its existence is immeasurable and non-determinable, there is no way to prove or disprove the existence of a "god". However, a little history lesson might get people thinking.

The very first religion that we historically know of is of course the polytheistic pantheon of the Egyptians. We also know that organized religion is the world's first form of government. This was because humans were rather barbaric and the only way to get them to listen and follow orders was to scare the crap out of them, and make them afraid for their lives (accomplished by telling them their "Creator" would punish them with death if they did not obey.). A few free-thinkers (known today as the Clergy) decided to drum up a plot to give themselves control over the people by stating that their "Creator" (Isis, in the case of the Egyptians) came to them in a dream and told them to lead his people. This is a self-generated lie told for the sake of power. And, as the Metallica song goes: You lie so much you believe yourself. This lie has been told for many thousands of years, and continues through the Three Desert Dogmas (known as Christianity, Islam, and Judaism).
 Webstad
Msg: 14 (view)

Ever get a song stuck in your head...?
Posted: 7/28/2008 12:07:29 AM
Hehe...I consider myself lucky. I only ever listen to music that I know and like. If I ever hear a song I CAN'T STAND, I'll just bury myself in the music I DO like. When I first heard Banana Phone, I think it lasted about a week. It took all that week, and the following week of constant GOOD music to get rid of it. And by constant I mean: have your earbuds plugged in pretty much ALL the time; music playing for as many hours in the day as is possible, for weeks consecutively. Aim to play your fav catchy tunes too, that helps. It's better to have a song you like stuck in your head than one you hate, am I right?
 Webstad
Msg: 2 (view)

Review me!
Posted: 7/2/2008 11:37:40 PM
Coolio! Thanks! I changed my main pic for a "smiling" one, and revamped the "busy" part as well. As for the headline, well, I borrowed it from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. That's a Zaphod Beeblebrox line (couldn't quote the whole thing if I wanted to), but it was too funny not to borrow!
 Webstad
Msg: 1 (view)

Review me!
Posted: 7/2/2008 10:21:33 PM
Routine profile review. I think that I'm missing something, or something that is there isn't quite right, but don't know what it is. I've been trying to take notes on what people have been saying what not to do, and what is suggested you DO do. Have I succeeded? Or have I got some more work to do?
 Webstad
Msg: 13 (view)

What are YOU doing on Canada day?
Posted: 6/30/2008 10:20:45 PM
I'm gonna be in Langley at McLeod Park for the whole thing. I spent all day today enduring the 30*+ sun. I'm with Rahn's Black Belt Academy, so I get to have a tent (near the food no less, and with a good view of the main stage0. I'll be there ALL day tomorrow, from early morning right until after the fireworks. It should be good fun!
 Webstad

Def Leppard
Posted: 6/13/2008 6:59:13 PM
I grew up on them as well. I don't mind their new stuff, but I think Pyromania was their best. I think that was their most "metal" album ever. Mind you, there are some tracks from "Yeah!" that were pretty rockin'.
 Webstad
Msg: 118 (view)

What is your Anthem
Posted: 6/13/2008 6:54:21 PM
I've got a couple:

Bang Your Head (Metal Health) - Quiet Riot
I Wanna Be Somebody - WASP
 Webstad

actors singing
Posted: 6/8/2008 9:33:39 PM
It's true that many of them can't sing worth crap, but there are a few who are very impressive. Zooey Deschanel comes to mind right away. Her voice is PHENOMENAL. Even though her style doesn't do a whole lot for me (I'm a hard rocker) I actually quite like her music. Partnering up with Michael Ward, in my opinion, was a good move on her part. She's been compared to Linda Ronstadt. A talented actress who can sing; who knew?
 Webstad
Msg: 3 (view)

Please, don't say . . .
Posted: 6/7/2008 9:22:25 PM
The biggest one is at work, when either a customer or a passer-byer (I work in a bodyshop btw) asks "Do you work here?", when I am wearing either coveralls (with the company logo on it too) or a shirt with the logo on it. As if it isn't obvious!

The other work-related one is when people ask "Do you know what you're doing?" I usually reply with a sarcastic "no".
 Webstad
Msg: 13 (view)

Bill C51
Posted: 6/7/2008 8:59:14 PM
On top of heavily regulating non-prescription drugs and vitamins, C-51 also is going to have a negative impact on natural herbs and supplements (which doctors and ostrich-minded folks greatly despise). On the topic of natural remedies and organic supplements; the government sees a steadily increasing growth in it's popularity, and naturally, wants in on it. Before, natural remedies weren't government regulated and controlled, and as such there were so many different things you could buy that were cheaper (and better) than chemical drugs, and the government doesn't like anything that they aren't making any money off of.
 Webstad
Msg: 18 (view)

SuperGroup
Posted: 6/5/2008 10:29:36 PM
There are obviously so many possibilities here.

Vocals = Eric Adams - Manowar
Lead Guitar = Marty Friedman - Cacophony
Rhythm Guitar = Dan Lorenzo - Overkill
Bass Guitar = James MacDonough - Iced Earth
Drums = Nick Menza - Megadeth

Vocals = Darby Mills - Headpins
Lead Guitar = Kelly Johnson - Girlschool
Rhythm Guitar = Malcom Young - AC/DC
Bass Guitar = Geezer Butler - Black Sabbath
Drums = Neil Peart - Rush

Show ALL Forums