Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: A girl matter.. Way beyond spilled milkshake..
 wishful58
Msg: 53 (view)

A girl matter.. Way beyond spilled milkshake..
Posted: 3/22/2009 2:14:32 PM
.... let him who is without sin cast the first stone ..... I'd be her friend, I'd talk with her, I'd wonder why she had such low self esteem as to want to do this, and express that to her, and I'd be there. That's it ....... B
 wishful58
Msg: 235 (view)

Is intelligence a key characteristic for you?
Posted: 3/20/2009 11:28:48 PM
..intelligence is a key characteristic, but it must be moderated with compassion, kindness, and the ability to see beyond ones own self ...... intelligence by itself can be hard, cold, and cruel ....... B
 wishful58
Msg: 9 (view)

How much sleep Do you Actually Get per Night ?
Posted: 3/19/2009 3:22:54 PM
..Since I work shift work including 12 hour days and 12 hour nights, my sleep cycle can be a little mixed up! ... I try to get 7 or 8 hours either way .... sleeping at night or sleeping during the day after a night shift ...... as I age, those nights are a little harder to handle, but I still manage..... and I , as well, have discovered that lack of sleep just tends to color the whole world with a "beige curtain" .... everything seems harder, more depressing, tiring, ........ sleep really is the elixir of life!! ...... B
 wishful58
Msg: 60 (view)

HELP - How is this done?
Posted: 12/10/2008 3:20:27 PM
..it took me a while to learn this ... but I just "let it go" ...... people contact and remain in contact with who they wish to ... simple ... clear cut .... you don't waste any mental energy trying to "figure out" what's going on ..... B
 wishful58
Msg: 116 (view)

Where did you go on your last vacation?
Posted: 11/18/2008 5:01:32 AM
One of the best vacations I have ever taken was to Newfoundland, Canada. This island was utterly fantastic! The people were incredibly laid back, the food and seafood was awesome, the meandering coastal roads and highways were just a visual smogasbord! I'd return there in a heartbeat, only this time spend more time there .... and a Newfie accent is simply divine! ..... B
 wishful58
Msg: 1 (view)

one day polar bear tour ....
Posted: 6/24/2008 9:03:29 AM
...has anyone ever taken one of these one day tours to Churchill, Manitoba (Canada). Pay a rather large amount, take a plane in the a.m. ... off to see the polar bears in a tundra buggy ... then fly back to where you came from? ... I 'm thinking of doing this tour in the fall ... only offered a couple of days ... and various companies do it ... wondered if anyone had ever done such a tour and what they thought of it ...? ... BJ
 wishful58

...are we ever satisfied? ........
Posted: 2/20/2008 2:13:31 PM
I am wondering ... do you think the internet predisposes us to simply "never being satisfied" given the abundance of profiles, the millions of seemingly available people? ... Are we always looking over the next profile wondering if we should be satisfied with what we have at this moment? It seems people have a tendency on here to look, perhaps meet, and then simply move on, possibly because the "fish" was not what one thought it was, or is it that we are always thinking about the rest of the fish in the sea? ... Its something that I have thought about off and on since creating a profile on POF ... thoughts?
 wishful58
Msg: 12 (view)

Favorite drive?
Posted: 2/18/2008 8:34:00 PM
... the drive along the coastline of Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada ... The scenery is breathtaking ... almost surreal .... B
 wishful58
Msg: 3 (view)

Female Sterilization
Posted: 2/10/2008 7:36:31 PM
..are you talking about a uterine ablation ... where they use a laser to obliterate the lining of the uterus ... preventing any future pregnancy (no lining to attach an embryo to) and usually stopping or at least decreasing a period?? ... this is the only procedure I can think of besides a hysterectomy ... B
 wishful58
Msg: 41 (view)

STOOD UP by a P.O.F. MEMBER
Posted: 1/26/2008 10:58:37 PM
... having never been stood up before until this week, I'm kinda surprised at my reaction. Usually, I would be wondering what was wrong with ME, but this time I laughed, realized that not too much had been invested, and thought it was cowardly and inconsiderate .... and I'll just be moseying along! ............
 wishful58
Msg: 8 (view)

2008 travel plans!
Posted: 1/12/2008 10:16:12 AM
I've just got a real desire to "expand my world" ... and that includes both travel and my inner life ....this year I'm going to go to the Queen Charlotte Islands (off the coast of British Columbia, Canada) ... beautiful old growth forests, Haida art and culture .. looking forward to that ... and then sometime next winter I hope to cruise "somewhere" ... haven't firmed that up yet ........ its great to hear all the plans people have .... Bonnie
 wishful58
Msg: 56 (view)

Are there some types of careers that you simply don't click with dating wise?
Posted: 1/9/2008 7:13:23 PM
...has anyone avoided or ended a relationship due to a career that involved shift work? .. As a nurse, I know that I definitely limit my options - some people definitely do not want to deal with a shift worker; to much hassle planning vacations, days off, etc etc .... as for me, because I AM a shift worker, I'm pretty flexible with who I would consider dating .... at least schedule wise! .......
 wishful58
Msg: 173 (view)

If you could have, a free holiday where would you go?
Posted: 1/9/2008 7:31:27 AM
...I'd go to the Antartica in the summer ... I'd love to walk amongst the penguins ... B
 wishful58

After Christmas Blues
Posted: 12/31/2007 5:07:20 AM
January and February are both hard months for me emotionally ... looking outside my window this morning all I see is the white ground, grey sky, grey trees .... sheesh! ... this goes on for weeks sometimes ... I have bought myself a SAD light (seasonal affective disorder) and sit with it gleaming into my eyes about 30 minutes each morning and it seems to help. I also make sure I take my multivitamin, Vit D - 1000 units and my iron and these also make a big difference. And, of course, trying to remain physically active also seems to help .... spring seems a long way off .... my gut feeling is to go into "hibernation", but of course that doesn't really work with my job and family! .......
 wishful58
Msg: 57 (view)

Being single over the holidays
Posted: 12/18/2007 5:40:13 AM
As usual, life is what you tend to make it ...... I have learned that the hard way over the past few years ... I have great friends, some great family members ... I tend to agree with above posters who note that being ALONE and being SINGLE are too very different things. When I don't feel like being alone, I seek out those whose company I enjoy and we laugh ... always good 'medicine' ..... and this year I have been thinking of how I might add to someone's life who might not even have the basics, such as food or shelter ... everything is relative in this life .......Wishin' you all a good holiday season, full of simplicity and joy .....
 wishful58

...remaining healthy throughout the holidays ....
Posted: 12/16/2007 10:37:47 AM
What are some of the strategies you use to keep yourself healthy during the holidays? .... mentally, physically, emotionally .......? It can be a trying time (as well as a wonderful time!) .....
 wishful58
Msg: 16 (view)

anyone got any good tips 4 dieting?
Posted: 12/12/2007 1:19:56 PM
You need to be kind to yourself .... follow a plan (whatever it is you choose from all the great advice thats been given); and don't have black and white thinking patterns discourage you. In other words, if you slip into a bad eating scenario, end it, and simply start down the road again. with a fresh vision - even hour to hour if that's the way it is. Don't fall victim to the thinking "Well, I've screwed up this day or hour , so I might as well screw up the whole day or week .....". That kind of thinking is self sabotaging and the end result is more weight gain, more self loathing, and depression. I applaud you for making the effort to be more healthy ......
 wishful58
Msg: 19 (view)

How in the world do you break it off to someone that has gotten a little too attached way to fast?
Posted: 12/3/2007 6:44:38 PM
..you go out with a woman who is overweight ... she is attracted to you ... and you "develop feelings for her" ... now, three weeks before Christmas, you wish to dump her for fear her "weight issues" won't go away .......hmmmm........ yep, its for the best for both of you ...... especially her .......
 wishful58

SAD ... seasonal affective disorder ....
Posted: 12/1/2007 12:11:39 PM
Interestingly enough, after having some blood work come back not quite in line with "normal", they did find that I have a severe Vitamin D deficiency ... a seemingly simple thing like that led me to have all kinds of unnecessary scans, etc of thyroid, parathyroid and on and on and on. Since taking Vit D (about 1,500 units per day), I feel like a new woman! I guess living in a fairly northern climate, being fair skinned and always wearing sunscreen led to this scenario ..... so now I take my Vit D, use my light therapy, and try to exercise regularly .... all simple things that have made a great difference in my life .............
 wishful58
Msg: 5 (view)

Oyster sauce???
Posted: 11/29/2007 4:23:56 PM
I don't use oyster sauce much, however there is one thing I make that is absolutely delicious with it ....

Take a fillet of salmon, a couple lemons, oyster sauce and black bean sauce (another delicious oriental sauce). Line a baking dish with thinly sliced lemon, coat the back of the salmon with oyster and black bean sauce. Lay the salmon on the lemon, coat the top of the fillet with oyster and black bean sauce. Layer thinly sliced lemon on the top of the fillet. A little cracked pepper. Bake until done (yep, I cook like my mommy ... by guess and by golly!). This makes a delicious piece of fish, full of flavor, and is equally delicious cold ............
 wishful58
Msg: 2 (view)

Posted: 11/27/2007 6:46:07 AM
Yes ... thanks for the link .. always interested in more information, and yes, I think exercise is key ... its harder for me in the winter to feel motivated to move .. but its not impossible, and it does seem to affect my mood for the positive when I do move. I have been using the light a few weeks, and I think it helps ..... BJ
 wishful58
Msg: 23 (view)

Cold after weight loss
Posted: 11/18/2007 11:03:19 AM
...just a thought ... low thyroid functioning causes you to feel cold all the time ... and it shows in your actual body temperature (if you take it) ... not sure if its related at all to losing weight , but it is something that a simple blood test can pick up ..... BJ
 wishful58

Posted: 11/18/2007 10:49:58 AM
Well, winter has begun here in Alberta .... grey.... snow .... after last years eight month long winter, I bought a SAD light in hopes that this year I'll be a little more upbeat and chipper! ... We'll see ....Has anyone else here tried these lights that supposedly "trick" your brain and help keep the neurotransmitter levels up to par? ....I just found that after spending so many days and nights in the "dark" ... going to work in the dark, coming home in the dark (work 12 hour shifts) ... that it was a little draining mentally .... I'd be interested to hear if anyone out there has any experience with this ....... BJ
 wishful58
Msg: 4 (view)

Humor as We Age
Posted: 11/8/2007 8:25:32 AM
... very true ...... the face, the smile ..... it kinda captures it all ..... ! I love laughing, and creating laughter at home, in my work ..... being an RN you see so much sadness, stress, pain ...... you need to laugh when you can ...... with coworkers .... friends ...... and I hope to find someone out there who I can smile at and with! .... where is he?? ..... BJ
 wishful58

How much slides by now?
Posted: 4/7/2007 7:29:17 PM
... I think alot slides by me these days ..... I guess I never was (and likely never will be) one of those "go getters" ... I love talking ... not necessarily cutting the lawn! ... However, I like to think I get most of the "essentials" done .... but I probably don't ... Maintaining a home, working full time doing shift work, ferrying two teenagers around ... keeps me more than busy ...... sometimes I beat myself up for letting so many things slide ........ and maybe one day I'll catch up ......... for now ........ life is... what life is! .... BJ
 wishful58
Msg: 10 (view)

How much do we tolerated before calling it quits ????
Posted: 11/12/2006 8:24:26 PM
I am sitting here thinking (never a good thing!) ... and some of the comments struck me .... "you either want to be with me or your don't" ....... is it that simple? .......BJ
 wishful58

How do you know when there's a break down in communication?
Posted: 11/12/2006 7:29:18 PM
... how do I know when communicagtion has broken down ? ....hmmm.... when I'd rather have my toenails removed than try AGAIN to discuss an issue ....... sigh ..... I'm not sure what the answer is .... respecting another person's thought processes and opinions, trying to work through issues with acceptable compromises, communicating love through it all ? .... since I sit here alone, not presently in a relationship, I obviously have some things to learn about communication .......... makes me think anyhow ..... BJ
 wishful58
Msg: 99 (view)

Could I fall in love again at 56? Do I want to?
Posted: 11/11/2006 10:20:23 PM
.. I think the "fallin' in love" is the easy part ......... the "stayin' in love" a little harder at times .... whether its our baggage, our tendency to hold back sensitive parts of our hearts and souls, the time constraints of living in this day and age ....it can all add up to failed relationships. I hope I'm up for the "work" involved in maintaining a great relationship after the "fallin' in love" part ..... which I also really enjoy!! .... lol ....
 wishful58

is it harder to date as we get older?
Posted: 11/4/2006 9:24:18 PM
... I sucked at dating when I was younger, .... and I suck at it now! ..... But I guess that doesn't keep me from trying .... gosh darn those primal urges .. that need/want to be in a relationship .... sometimes ...... just wanna squash 'em! Is it harder to date as we get older? .... for me yes .... more considerations ... we all have our pasts to contend with ... the baggage has to be sorted, and aired, and then put away ..... some have done that... some haven't .... if you're over 45 and "out there" ...... you have a past ...... you have your "sensitive issues" ..... it sure keeps life interesting .......
 wishful58

...as you age ...broaden or narrow your preferences??
Posted: 9/27/2006 10:55:45 PM
...well said maeflowers .......BJ
 wishful58

...as you age ...broaden or narrow your preferences??
Posted: 9/27/2006 7:47:30 PM
Just musing here about life in the new millenium and dating and all ... I have decided in the past few years to "broaden my horizons" so to speak ... at one time having quite narrow preferences ... in terms of age, height, interests, etc etc ... however, nowadays I find myself much more willing to consider men who are not "exactly" what my preferences might be ... and I have been pleasantly surprised! .... what are your experiences with this .......?
 wishful58
Msg: 15 (view)

Please tell my why on earth a thin girl would want to date an obese man
Posted: 9/17/2006 8:50:32 PM
.. the same reason larger women date average or thin men .... or larger women date larger men ... or thin women date thin men ..... and on and on and on .... because there is a mutual attraction that extends beyond the "looks" and the "body shape" ... it all goes a little deeper than that .... enjoy your "thinness" .... alone ..........
 wishful58
Msg: 25 (view)

Have you been tempted to lie about your age?
Posted: 9/4/2006 8:18:46 PM
..up to this point I've really never considered lying about my age ... its a number, it puts me in a certain "category" having grown up in certain decades .... other than that .... the number doesn't mean much to me ... BJ
 wishful58

Write a letter to you younger self.
Posted: 8/22/2006 5:43:00 AM
...now this thread makes me think ..... Dear BJ: Try to live "in the moment" ...enjoying mindfully what life throws your way ... don't obsess on the small, insignificant things ... check out the overall picture .. and carry on! Control what you can, let go of those things you cannot control ... always remember "what is the worst thing that could happen?" ... answer that question, and it takes the power and fear and reduces it to a manageable level ... and sometimes BJ ... JUST DO IT!! ....
 wishful58
Msg: 6 (view)

Are You Taking More Risks Now?
Posted: 8/15/2006 10:14:04 AM
...for many years, I lived in my little "box" of a life ... it was safe, quiet .... boring! ... I take many more risks now ... emotional, mental, physical. I tend to "listen" more to my intuition, which has been right on most times .... I drove to Vancouver ... alone ... this summer ... and it was a great trip .... great weather, good music on my CD's ... and a great time to think. I would never have done that a few years ago .....(Wanda1fish .. you make me smile with your description of a the unfettered life!! ...) ....... BJ
 wishful58
Msg: 27 (view)

People, of our age, alone...what do our pets say about us?
Posted: 8/11/2006 8:16:49 PM
...Just musing away here ... while the golden retriever watches ....and the minature pomeranian clamors for my attention! The golden was a rescue dog .... and has been such a joy .... the mini-pom was my mom's dog, and when she passed away in March ... I inherited her. Now, I would never have chosen a tiny dog like her ... I'm more of a larger dog person, however, she has bored a hole deep within my heart! ... she's a little princess, a diva, ... and goes everywhere with me ... loves riding in the car .... loves watching soccer games .... and because she was my mom's dog .... I sort of feel a connection there .... BJ
 wishful58
Msg: 9 (view)

Would you date someone that is taking care of a elder parent?
Posted: 8/10/2006 8:20:38 PM
... having cared for both parents at different times, I have a "soft spot" in my heart for anyone who finds themself in that position .. it can zap your energy, mentally, physically and emotionally. I would certainly date a person who is caring for elderly parents .... and try to help in any way I could ..... there are time limitations and energy limitations that would have to be dealt with, but if this was the person I cared about ... they would be dealt with ...... BJ
 wishful58

Romantic?
Posted: 8/9/2006 4:34:11 PM
Ms Magnolia ... tried to email you personally ... but couldn't ... just wanted to let you know that my heart goes to you ... my sister is in Afghanistan right now ... scary .... and the things your husband did for you were truly romantic .... take care, chin up ..... all my good thoughts your way ..... BJ
 wishful58
Msg: 6 (view)

Romantic?
Posted: 8/9/2006 1:57:21 PM
I'm trying to think about what I might define "romance" as .... its a question I think about often ... I'm not a sentimental woman .. I don't require constant attention (in fact, it drives me crazy!) ... I'm independent, I've made my own way ...... romance?......hmmmm..... to me, it can be seen in many "actions" ... but overall what makes it romantic to me ... is .... am I considered in his 'world' ?... am I 'there' making a difference in the way he sees, plans, acts? ... that's the way I want to feel ...... that's the difference I want to make .... whether that is a quick phone call to say "hi" ... asking about my day .... a gift .... a note ... or just a look .... it means I'm part of his world .... and that makes me smile ....
 wishful58
Msg: 26 (view)

Curiosity......
Posted: 8/8/2006 8:52:44 PM
I have put my image up to be "rated" ... but only for my own giggles .... never made it past a "5" ..... as for my "voting history" .... when I'm truly bored or just putting in time, I have voted ... and everyone gets a "10"......... BJ
 wishful58

The body of a champion weight lifter
Posted: 8/8/2006 2:19:11 PM
...well, as a woman who has always struggled with her weight, I have come to the conclusion that yes, health is important, and yes, I should keep on tryin' to lose those pesky pounds ... However, I have learned with much struggle that, in the long run, the important things for me don't have much to do with body shape ... oh yes, I'd like a man who is a bit taller than me .. and I'd like a man who has the energy to walk, garden, laugh, participate in some fun activities ... I value someone who shows compassion in everyday life, humor, intelligence, and basic caring ...... I can find that in a fit athletic soul, or in the average body type ... or in the guy with a little extra around the middle .... and I know that "out there" are those men who look a little deeper than skin ........ BJ
 wishful58
Msg: 18 (view)

Who Said Parenting Was Easy?
Posted: 8/7/2006 10:27:47 PM
..Two sons ... two new driver's licences ... within a year of each other ... I think I have a few more "worry lines" .. I KNOW I've had less sleep! .. LOL .... And I'm sitting here right now waiting for Son #2 to arrive home after driving to the city ... living in a small rural town .. it's always highway driving ... fewer accidents, but more lethal when they happen ... so, I relate to your 'mom's heart' and trust you'll catch up on that sleep sooner ..... or later .... take care ....... BJ
 wishful58
Msg: 30 (view)

You Can Do It!!!!
Posted: 8/5/2006 12:02:37 PM
..for me the fear is the thing to overcome ... and then we'll see whether or not I can "do it" .. whatever the "it" is! .... and I always ask myself one question now ... "What is the worst thing that could possibly happen??" .... and then I answer the question .... Usually the answer is not something THAT BAD .... and I can jump past the fear. The first date I went out on .... oh my.... the fear that I had to quell was amazing! ... But I did it ... and I have done it since ... and I still get fearful, and I still have the butterflies, but I know that nothing THAT BAD will happen .... smile .... anyhow .... just my thoughts .. and in fact, sometimes things that are REALLY GOOD happen .... smile ..(and I love listening to you guys here ... always makes me smile ....... ) ..... BJ
 wishful58

in the near future
Posted: 8/2/2006 1:47:27 PM
Hmmmmmm...... I'll still be working as an RN ... 'cause I love it and just graduated 6 years ago... so am no where near "burnt out" yet! ... smile .... I'd love to be living with a compassionate, caring, sensual, intelligent, and kind hearted man who I can smile at and with every day! .... I'd like to travel more .... in my country, Canada, there is so much to see that I haven't seen! ... and then .. perhaps a few other places that have caught my heart and imagination in the last while .... I'd like to continue to have my great health .... and work towards keeping it! .... I'd like to be living somewhere in Canada .....but the sky is the limit ...who knows! .. BJ
 wishful58
Msg: 18 (view)

Casual Dating vs Exclusive dating ...............
Posted: 8/2/2006 4:53:23 AM
It's great to hear all the differing views and perspectives ... I would like to think that I could be just laissez faire .... casual ..... but it is really difficult for me to do so ... My heart gets a little tied up in the whole thing because if I am making second and third dates, then I definitely feel good about that person and am starting to feel some "feelings" ... Magician: I'm a bit like you ... I think first "meetings" are not really "dates" ... and after that, if I feel a "connection" ... I would, in an ideal world, like to concentrate on that person ... however, it doesn't seem to be workin' that way for me! ... smile ... Of course, my limited experience in life doesn't help! ... Its all a learning curve, I suppose ......... BJ
 wishful58
Msg: 15 (view)

Posted: 7/31/2006 2:52:30 PM
...one of my worst downfalls ......overanalyzing situations ... thanks for another perspective! Bj
 wishful58
Msg: 12 (view)

Posted: 7/31/2006 4:51:01 AM
True enough .... you don't really know someone until you at least date them a couple of times and I suppose that is "casual dating"! .......Usually after two or three dates I can tell if I want to pursue the relationship to any degree .... and I suppose then it can escalate to "exclusive dating" should both parties wish it to .... I think most of my issue lies with the "mental problem" or the emotional energy necessary to continuously date different people. Probably when it gets right down to it ... I just don't want to do "work" of fishing ... I just want the great results! ... Totally unrealistic, of course ........I have "long term" on my profile, because in the end, that is what I am really seeking, however, for me, that doesn't exclude friendship, or even just dating ........
 wishful58
Msg: 2 (view)

Posted: 7/30/2006 8:04:57 PM
Melonsweet .... all good points .... I guess I felt I didn't have the emotional energy to date more than one person at a time, but I really think I likely need to "grow up" .. I'm an adult, a woman, and yes, the "one" won't be found likely by dating only one person! ... LOL .. Besides you're right ... I could practice a lot of useful skills like those you mention ....And the world is full of interesting, different people and I won't be meeting very many if I don't "get out there"! ....... Thanks for your perspective on this ...... BJ
 wishful58

Posted: 7/30/2006 6:54:12 PM
I have come to the conclusion that I really am a poor "casual dater" ... as in, when I find someone I like ..... I like to pursue it pretty exclusively......... and I'm finding out in the pond, that really most are casual daters .... they come they go ... they fish one day ... they take breaks .... they "catch and release" regularly ... I think I'm probably pretty unrealistic in my expectations ... perhaps I shouldn't have expectations? Perhaps I have just been out of touch a little too long ...... I think I likely need to readjust my thought patterns and expectations. What does the over 45 crowd think about this subject? ...... Do you date casually more than one person at a time? .... or do you concentrate on just one person at a time? ............ BJ
 wishful58
Msg: 28 (view)

HAVE TIMES CHANGED?
Posted: 7/30/2006 10:51:26 AM
.... never in a million years would I have thought to initiate first contact or asking a guy out ....until this year! .... Gotten brave in my old age .... "nothing ventured, nothing gained" and all that ....... I can't say that I have "reeled" anything in ...... but it has increased my confidence and ability to just send out the occasional email or make a comment to someone that I might not have before ......and its darn HARD to do .... so I applaud you men who have done it for years; faced the "no's" and the rejections ...... its making me a little stronger, a little braver ... I marvel at all the fish out there with numerous people on their "favorites" list ...average people ... tall, small, large, in between ....... doesn't seem to matter .... so I'm hoping that by being a little more proactive, my life gets a little more interesting! ....smile ..... BJ

Show ALL Forums